PDA

View Full Version : Vontaze Burfict, ILB, ASU

thegreatone
10-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Has he been living up the hype?

I know last year, his instincts weren't great. Has he improved any?

Where does he get drafted, and who does he compare to in the NFL?

Babylon
10-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Watched him some against the Quacks and no he doesnt look instinctive to me. He does look the part of an NFL LB and he'd upgrade the position for a lot of teams but i'd probably sacrifice a little to get someone that had his head more in the game.

Chris
10-16-2011, 01:12 PM
His best fit is going to be as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. I just don't see him being a difference maker on all downs in a 4-3 due to his liability in coverage. I don't like his discipline and his tackling technique needs improvement. There are definitely going to be better options if Luke and Teo declare.

JHL6719
10-16-2011, 08:55 PM
I think his hype and reputation is based mostly off a few big hits he's had in games here and there. I don't see a special player by any stretch.

Guy's a walking personal foul when he's not missing tackles.

I'll pass and live with the results. I see better linebackers in college football.

tjsunstein
10-16-2011, 10:37 PM
He's going to benefit from a locker room full of veterans and hopefully he'll settle down with the personal fouls on the field. Other than that, I love the kid as a prospect.

yo123
10-16-2011, 10:43 PM
I haven't seen enough of him to have a legit opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but from what I've seen and what I've heard I really don't like him. Instincts as a LB might be the most important trait, and he doesn't seem technically sound at all to me.

tjsunstein
10-16-2011, 10:53 PM
I haven't seen enough of him to have a legit opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but from what I've seen and what I've heard I really don't like him. Instincts as a LB might be the most important trait, and he doesn't seem technically sound at all to me.
He's very aggressive but overall, his play recognition skills are well above average. He's pretty complete to me but he does have a reputation of being a dirty player and committing some penalties but I think that can change in the NFL.

yo123
10-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Fair enough. I do love his Ray Lewis like mentality, I just think the technical part of the position is under-emphasized and I don't see much of that from him. There have been a bunch of super athletic guys at LB who didn't pan out.

kalbears13
10-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Where is fenikz on this one?

TonyGfortheTD
10-17-2011, 12:43 AM
His best fit is going to be as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

Pretty much. Any team that runs a 3-4 and are looking for a thumper will have Burfict high on their board.

JoeJoeBrown
10-17-2011, 07:40 AM
I think his hype and reputation is based mostly off a few big hits he's had in games here and there. I don't see a special player by any stretch.

Guy's a walking personal foul when he's not missing tackles.

I'll pass and live with the results. I see better linebackers in college football.

Totally agree. The guy is ridiculously overrated. Probably because asu fans are just desperate to hype anyone in this current era.

FUNBUNCHER
10-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Second rounder behind all the LBers declaring coming out of Alabama.

Saints-Tigers
10-17-2011, 11:32 AM
His instincts are nice. He has a great feel for when to break off a zone, and he sniffs out runs well, not to mention he's about as good taking on blocks and actually making a play when guys are blocking as we've seen. I'll take that over guys that are clean up tacklers.

The way he blasts offensive linemen to destroy screens and sweeps is awesome.

If he played behind a line like Alabama has, this wouldn't be a discussion, but people still can't see when guys benefit from talent around them.

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 01:19 PM
His instincts aren't in question, I'd say they are above average maybe better. However, his pursuit is questionable as he does look to make the big hit more than making the tackle at times.

His liability in coverage isn't greater than that of most linebackers, he even had a pick against Barkley in the USC game.

Probably projects to a 3-4 Thumper. His ability to push the pile is outstanding.

People will downgrade him because of his reputation but he has actually played with more reserve as of late, possibly too much as he's disappeared at times this year, but the fact that he's trying to fine-tune that balance is a plus to me, you can't teach aggression but as has been stated, a veteran locker room could help him control that emotion and turn it into production.

I'm really hoping people miss out on this guy and he slips to the Ravens for another Newsome pick up.

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Fair enough. I do love his Ray Lewis like mentality, I just think the technical part of the position is under-emphasized and I don't see much of that from him. There have been a bunch of super athletic guys at LB who didn't pan out.

His technical skills are only questionable in the sense that he doesn't wrap up tackles he just tries to obliterate guys. However, his instincts are without question and he fights off blocks better than guys like T'eo and Kuechly.

Second rounder behind all the LBers declaring coming out of Alabama.

If this happens it will be on his reputation alone and people not looking purely at his talent, talent wise he is better than any backers at Bama and possibly even T'eo. I won't compare him too Kuechly in overall talent as they both belong in completely different systems.

Buc Baller12
10-17-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm hoping the bucs have a shot at him. Foster seems like a stud in the making put him and burfict you have two nasty mofos for years to come

Complex
10-17-2011, 07:23 PM
He is a future titan.

SenorGato
10-18-2011, 01:41 AM
He is a future titan at ILB for the Jets.

Fixed. Ten characters.

bam bam
10-18-2011, 03:55 AM
flawless victory

JBCX
10-21-2011, 06:42 PM
The more I watch of this guy, the more I see him as a bust in the NFL.

He consistently avoids contact and passes on the opportunity to make critical tackles. He shows poor instincts in diagnosis as well. Sure, he'll make a highlight play every now and then, but his quality of play is extremely inconsistent and erratic, and I see too much evidence of "lack of effort" on many plays.

Add the character concerns on top of the inconsistent play, and you have a very high risk prospect. I wouldn't spend a first round pick on him at all.

Rosebud
10-21-2011, 07:21 PM
I'd love the giants to draft him. We don't necessarily need our MIKE on passing downs since Boley and Jaquian Williams can really fly around on defense.

JBCX
10-21-2011, 07:33 PM
I'd love the giants to draft him. We don't necessarily need our MIKE on passing downs since Boley and Jaquian Williams can really fly around on defense.

Watch some ASU games and focus in on Burfict. He obviously avoids plays when he is in danger of being blocked. He passes on tackles pretty frequently.

I don't see the all-out effort that a star MLB needs to show. If you're playing soft and avoiding blocks, you're not going to be a good MLB in the NFL.

And even if he was a great run-stopping MLB, you don't spend a first round pick on a MLB unless he can play all three downs, like Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher. I want my first round MLB to be a stud in the run game AND the passing game.

Rabscuttle
10-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Extreme lack of Pac 12 games means I haven't seen him this year to confirm if the avoiding contact thing is true or not. Sooooooo....

Is he playing hurt? Would hate to think a linebacker of all players is protecting himself for the draft.

He showed some great instincts and an uncanny knack to shoot gaps when I saw him in previous games. Now, will he be a guy that needs a Gary Plummer type to hold things down when he freelances ala Junior Seau? I think he is going to blow a lot of assignments when he cues on the wrong thing early in his career and take some time to be as good as his hype. There should be some omg plays that the ESPN types like, but he will frustrate coaches and teammates while he learns the game.

fenikz
10-31-2011, 05:11 AM
cXqZjNr4Jww

3 stops on the goal line for Burfict followed by an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty of course

and you people have never seen Burfict play if you think he avoids contact

Big Bird
10-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Probably shouldn't forget about the fouls in the Oregon game.
http://youtu.be/wTufZd6Mcz8
http://youtu.be/cFGWgidA4ks

I like how this Az State youtube user is trying to defend these. The second one, alright, is a little questionable. But the first one? He clearly is out of bounds, the whistle is clearly blowing, yet Vontaze continues to proceed with getting a penalty.

fenikz
11-01-2011, 12:12 AM
2nd was certainly BS, 1st obviously he just didnt see him step out but dumb either way cus even if he didnt step out they would of called him for unnecessary roughness for slamming him down

Sloopy
11-01-2011, 07:00 AM
The more I watch of this guy, the more I see him as a bust in the NFL.

He consistently avoids contact and passes on the opportunity to make critical tackles. He shows poor instincts in diagnosis as well. Sure, he'll make a highlight play every now and then, but his quality of play is extremely inconsistent and erratic, and I see too much evidence of "lack of effort" on many plays.

Add the character concerns on top of the inconsistent play, and you have a very high risk prospect. I wouldn't spend a first round pick on him at all.

Not sure if serious...

Burfict? Your claiming that VONTAZE BURFICT avoids CONTACT? He is one of the more (if not the most) violent hitter in college football, gets flagged for making to much contact. He's one of the best pile pushers i've seen come around in awhile because he's in on almost every play and doesn't stop until the whistle blows (or after).

As far as taking on blockers? One of the most sound block shedders that is gunna come out of this draft class. Not really sure where your getting inconsistent effort from.

papageorgio
11-03-2011, 10:41 AM
If Rey Maulagua couldn't get drafted in the first round there i no way in hell Burfict deserves to be drafted in the top 15.

Maulagua was a way better player in college than Burfict and was drafted in the second.

Burfict in the top 15 is a major reach.

Razor
11-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Maualuga was/is also an alcoholic iirc. That's why he fell. Also, he didn't test very well. Taze will.

papageorgio
11-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Maualuga was/is also an alcoholic iirc. That's why he fell. Also, he didn't test very well. Taze will.

He ran a 4.5 which is not too bad. I dont need measurables to see that Maulagua is a better player than Burfict in college.

brat316
11-03-2011, 10:58 AM
If Rey Maulagua couldn't get drafted in the first round there i no way in hell Burfict deserves to be drafted in the top 15.

Maulagua was a way better player in college than Burfict and was drafted in the second.

Burfict in the top 15 is a major reach.

keep things in perspective, its not the same draft class. One might have been deeper at one position compared to this one. Teams might have went heavy on one position compared to this one. The one year 1 team triggers an OT frenzy. 6 OT went in like 10 picks.

Sloopy
11-03-2011, 11:03 AM
its a weak draft class, still i feel that all of the top LB prospects will fall to the bottom of round one.

also I personally like taze more as a prospect, better instincts, more solid in coverage. A lot of rey's flaws were masked by the team around him

AntoinCD
11-03-2011, 02:23 PM
its a weak draft class, still i feel that all of the top LB prospects will fall to the bottom of round one.

also I personally like taze more as a prospect, better instincts, more solid in coverage. A lot of rey's flaws were masked by the team around him

Yeah playing in a LB corps in college with Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews is going to help you.

I always thought Mauluaga was overrated leading up to the draft and I think Taze is getting overrated by some this year.

However Taze is a better prospect IMO than Rey and this class is pretty weak in most areas

fenikz
11-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Throw out the penalties and Taze is the best MLB prospect since Curry/Willis/Arrington

not on Arrington's level but certainly right there with Curry and Willis

ElectricEye
11-04-2011, 10:55 AM
I think Burfict has been called out for being overrated so much that he's actually become underrated. Turn on the tape and you see a guy who can be a legitimate impact linebacker. He needs to cool it with all the personal fouls, but I tend to side with fenikz in the sense that he gets them for stuff that other guys wouldn't. The biggest part of that is the reputation he's built up kind of feeds into getting more of them. He's going to come into the NFL with that reputation as well, unfortunately. You never like to see a guy have to change the way he plays because of something like that, but he might have to for a bit. Otherwise, he's just about the complete package at MLB, albeit in need of a lot of refinement.

Not sure where I would put him ranking wise. I really love this class for pure linebackers between Te'o, Kuechly, and Burfict. All of those guys are worthy of first round picks.