PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on This Years Draft Class?

Buc Baller12
10-16-2011, 02:01 PM
This has to be one of the better draft classes i have seen in a while; not as good as the 2010 draft class; its below it; the 2010 had tremendous depth players takin in the 2nd round that year could be 1st rounders any other year. What are your thoughts on the strength of this draft class and how it compares to previous draft classes?

shylo3716
10-16-2011, 03:19 PM
I like the fact that a lot of guys who are/were projected as locks to be the #1 guy off the board for their positions have slid, because of underrated guys stepping their play up (Morris Claiborne)

Hurricanes25
10-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I think the senior class is pretty weak. It really depends on who and how many underclassmen come out.

marshallb
10-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I think the senior class is pretty weak. It really depends on who and how many underclassmen come out.

Yup, definitely this. There's about 9 seniors that I would feel comfortable spending a first rounder on right now, and a few of them have off the field issues that could knock them down.

WT01
10-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Seems to me like it's a relatively weak class for defense. There's no true elite pass rushing prospect in years past (Coples will likely end up being selected in the top ten because of measurables and such, but he's just been so maddeningly inconsistent this year that it's also possible that he'll end up falling quite a ways). There's no pass rushing DT like a Gerald McCoy or Suh that deserves to go in the high first. There are some decent corners and inside linebackers, but teams rarely take ILBs in the top five and the top corner, Dre Kirkpatrick, seems to be trending down on a lot of boards for one reason or another. Looks like, as of now, like the 2004 class did in which ten of the first fifteen picks were offensive players.

Menardo75
10-17-2011, 05:08 PM
If you are going off of seniors this class is very weak. If some underclassmen declare such as Richardson, Luck, Jones, Jenkins, Martin, Claiborne, Griffen, Jeffery etc this class could get very good.

tjsunstein
10-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Deeper at more positions than we're used to but not as top heavy as it usually is on the defensive side.

SickwithIt1010
10-17-2011, 09:06 PM
If you are going off of seniors this class is very weak. If some underclassmen declare such as Richardson, Luck,Barkley, Kalil Jones, Jenkins, Martin, Claiborne, Griffen, Jeffery etc this class could get very good.

Just had to add a few pretty solid names :)

bucfan12
10-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Just had to add a few pretty solid names :)

Kalil, of course.

Barkely would benefit staying. Honestly, I don't think he'll be anymore than an average QB in the NFL. He;s not an elite prospect.

jayceheathman
10-18-2011, 12:36 AM
So if you were Carolina would you prefer a combination of AJ Green and Andrew Luck or Cam Newton and Alshon Jeffery/Justin Blackmon?

RaiderNation
10-18-2011, 01:49 AM
I really like this years top talent compared to last years. I'd probably take both Luck and Barkley over Newton, and I'd say at least Luck and Kalil are better than any prospect from the 2011 draft.

In basic terms, I'd say the 2012 draft will be a offensive draft, while last year was more defensive heavy in talent.

GatorsBullsFan
10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
This could be one of the better WR classes in a while

killxswitch
10-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Underwhelming defensive class and I agree the seniors are not very exciting overall. Some good QBs and WRs at the top which as a Colts fan was not exciting until recently.

Overall this seems more like a depth class than a blue chip-heavy class.

indyfan1985
10-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Underwhelming defensive class and I agree the seniors are not very exciting overall. Some good QBs and WRs at the top which as a Colts fan was not exciting until recently.

Overall this seems more like a depth class than a blue chip-heavy class.

Yeah I just hope we dont reach for a player at a position of more need like DT or CB.

1st round if we end up with the 1st pick I think we gotta take Luck unless a team is willing to give up a whole lot to us. 2nd overall pick we gotta go LT Matt Kalil unless again we can trade down and get a lot back. 3rd pick we gotta take either Kalil, Barkley, or Blackmon or a trade down.

Iamcanadian
10-18-2011, 01:34 PM
The senior class is garbage and with the new rookie salary cap, many juniors may stay in school. Decent QB crop but I see a very weak overall class with little depth.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 01:55 PM
So if you were Carolina would you prefer a combination of AJ Green and Andrew Luck or Cam Newton and Alshon Jeffery/Justin Blackmon?

You mean Cam Newton and Michael Floyd? That'd be pretty nice for Cam.

ellsy82
10-18-2011, 03:00 PM
To the OP, each draft is usually considered deep or not by the amount of underclassmen that declare. If you look at simply the senior class alone, I can't remember a draft class in the past decade that was considered deep or "strong". What would this draft class be like without underclassmen at the offensive tackle position if NO underclassmen declare?...with Datko out, pretty friggin weak. Same goes for the cornerback position and probably the 43DE/34OLB type grouping.

CashmoneyDrew
10-18-2011, 03:07 PM
The senior class is garbage and with the new rookie salary cap, many junior may stay in school. Decent QB crop but I see a very weak overall class with little depth.

I think it'll be the opposite, but we'll see.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 03:15 PM

I think you'll only see JRs declare if they recieve 1st round grades.

Honestly, I don't see both Landry Jones and Matt Barkely declaring. If Oklahoma wins the Nat'l Championship, Jones might. His stock is very high right now.

Barkely, on the other hand, has a talented team around him that will be around next year. Plus, he reminds me a lot of Sanchez. \In terms of Arm Strength, foot work, and mechanics, it's Mark Sacnhez 2.0. I actually think Mark Sanchez was more accurate at USC than Barkely.

Also, Don't buy into the Barkely was this big prospect coming out of High School labeled as the next best thing. So was Jimmy Clausen. Someone labeled him as then next great NFL QB during his freshman year at ND.

Menardo75
10-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Kalil, of course.

Barkely would benefit staying. Honestly, I don't think he'll be anymore than an average QB in the NFL. He;s not an elite prospect.

Oh man I hope he doesn't see that.

Iamcanadian
10-18-2011, 11:23 PM

Because of the considerable drop in rookie money, juniors will only declare if they get a sure fire 1st round grade. You could see many going back to school to raise their draft stock.

CashmoneyDrew
10-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Because of the considerable drop in rookie money, juniors will only declare if they get a sure fire 1st round grade. You could see many going back to school to raise their draft stock.

1st rounders are the only ones that lost considerable money with the new cap anyways. Plus with UFA coming one year earlier it's possible a lot of the underclassmen will declare to get to that second contract even earlier.

The only type of prospects I see being affected by the rookie cap would be maybe late to fringe first rounders that could crack the top 10 by going back one more year.