PDA

View Full Version : Third of the Season Prediction Time

Bills2083
10-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Now that the season is 1/3 over (almost) who is going to win coach of the year? Rookie of the year? etc. It'll be interesting to look back and see just how far off people were...

Superbowl Winner:
Superbowl MVP:
AFC Division Leaders:
AFC Wildcard:
NFC Division Leaders:
NFC Wildcard:

MVP:
Coach of the Year:
OPOY:
DPOY:
OROY:
DROY:
Comeback Player of the Year:

What say you?

49erNation85
10-16-2011, 08:19 PM
NFC West - SF 49ers and possible Wild card winners.
coach of the year. Jim Harbaugh

jrdrylie
10-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Superbowl Winner: Green Bay Packers
Superbowl MVP: Aaron Rodgers
AFC Division Leaders: New England, Oakland, Houston, Baltimore
AFC Wildcard: San Diego, Pittsburgh
NFC Division Leaders: Green Bay, New Orleans, San Francisco, Dallas
NFC Wildcard: Detroit, Chicago

MVP: Aaron Rodgers
Coach of the Year: Jim Harbuagh
OPOY: Calvin Johnson
DPOY: Jason Pierre-Paul
OROY: Cam Newton
DROY: Von Miller
Comeback Player of the Year: Matt Stafford

SickwithIt1010
10-16-2011, 08:36 PM
AFC Division Leaders: Pats, Raiders, Texans, Ravens
AFC Wildcard: Pitt, NYJ
NFC Division Leaders: Green Bay, San Fran, New Orleans, NYG
NFC Wildcard: Philly, Detroit

Coach of the Year: Jim Harbaugh
OPOY: Wes Welker
DPOY: Patrick Willis
Comeback Player of the Year: Matthew Stafford

soybean
10-16-2011, 09:30 PM
The Packers look unstoppable. Aaron Rodgers is in another league. Makes the game look ridiculously easy.

Basileus777
10-16-2011, 09:33 PM
People really think Boller is going to lead Oakland to a division title?

49ersfan_87
10-16-2011, 10:00 PM
People really think Boller is going to lead Oakland to a division title?

Unless they're planning on throwing Pryor right into the game, they should sign Garrard. He's regressed but you can't do much worse at this point.

tjsunstein
10-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Tom Brady for MVP. His defense is worse against the pass.

Timbathia
10-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Unless they're planning on throwing Pryor right into the game, they should sign Garrard. He's regressed but you can't do much worse at this point.

trade for Orton.

Complex
10-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Superbowl Winner:Eagles
Superbowl MVP: Vick
AFC Division Leaders:Titans, NE,Chargers, and Baltimore
AFC Wildcard: Jets and Bills
NFC Division Leaders: GB,Saints,Giants,49ers
NFC Wildcard:Eagles and Lions
MVP:Rodgers
Coach of the Year:Jim Harbaugh or Jim Schwartz
DPOY: JPP
Comeback Player of the Year: Matt Hassleback

mqtirishfan
10-17-2011, 12:43 PM
AFC Division Leaders: Patriots, Ravens, Texans, Chargers
AFC Wildcard: Steelers, Titans
NFC Division Leaders: Giants, Packers, Saints, 49ers
NFC Wildcard: Lions, Bucs

DPOY: Jared Allen

Splat
10-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Coach of the Year:Jim Harbaugh or Jim Schwartz

Cage match to decide the winner.

bucfan12
10-17-2011, 01:50 PM
As of right now:

*= prediction

AFC Division Leaders: Bills, Ravens, Chargers, Texans.
How it plays out: * Patriots, Ravens, Chargers, Texans
AFC Wildcard: * Bills, Steelers

NFC Division Leaders: Giants, Packers, Bucs, 49ers
*Cowboys, Packers, Saints, 49ers

NFC Wildcard: Lions, Bucs or Giants. (depends on if the Bucs really turned the corner coming off that Saints game)

MVP: Aaron Rodgers. That's almost too easy.
Coach of the Year: Mike McCarthy. Yeah, the 49ers and Lions are doing great, but McCarthy is the best coach and they have the best team.
OPOY: Calvin Johnson. Probably going to shatter Moss's record by 5 tds.
DPOY: Charles Woodson. Playmaker again.
OROY: Cam Newton. No argument really here. AJ Green might get consideration
DROY: Aldon Smith: Tough call, but he's surrounded by a better front 7 and will continue to produce.
Comeback Player of the Year: Matt Stafford.

Splat
10-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Coach of the Year: Mike McCarthy. Yeah, the 49ers and Lions are doing great, but McCarthy is the best coach and they have the best team.

Nothing against McCarthy who I think is a great coach but both Harbaugh and Schwartz are doing it with less talent on the roster.

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 02:19 PM
The Packers look unstoppable. Aaron Rodgers is in another league. Makes the game look ridiculously easy.

I'm not buying into the Packers right now. They look unstoppable but they have only played 1 team with a winning record (Saints) and 2 3-3 team (Falcons, Bears). The combined record of their opponents thus far has been 12-22. So yes, it looks easy to them, because it has been. Not to mention how difficult it is to repeat in this league.

Having said that:

Superbowl Winner: Baltimore
Superbowl MVP: Ray Rice
AFC Division Leaders: Pats, Baltimore, Houston, Raiders
AFC Wildcard: Bills, Chargers
NFC Division Leaders: Giants, Packers, Bucs, 9'ers
NFC Wildcard: Falcons, Lions

MVP: Rodgers
Coach of the Year: Schwartz
DPOY: Jarred Allen
DROY: toss up between Miller and Aldon Smith. Smith doesn't start but still has 5.5 sacks, could really come out and has a better supporting to help him be productive, so I guess I'm going Smith.
Comeback Player of the Year: Stafford

bucfan12
10-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Nothing against McCarthy who I think is a great coach but both Harbaugh and Schwartz are doing it with less talent on the roster.

There was a similar argument last year with this award though. Bill Bellichik got it, yet guys like Raheem Morris, Todd Haley, and Steve Spagnola took there teams from 3 wins or less seasons to 10 wins (Haley and Morris). Morris had the youngest team in the league and they won 10 games, which is rare and started 15 rookies.

McCarthy has done an excellent job and I think you can't ignore him for this award. This team is above every other team right now and they've backed it up.

bucfan12
10-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Splat,

There's a ton of talent on the Lions rosterr there. Calvin Johnson? They don't call him mega-tron because he lacks talent. How about Matt Stafford? Ndmakung Suh?

Louis Delmas is a very good safety. Nick Fairly, Jhavid Best. Titus Young is a talented young WR.

The Lions lack experience, but what they don't lack is talent. That is where you're false.

San Fran has Crabtree and Davis, but other than that, they are performing above there talent level. I want to see how the season plays out.

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Splat,

There's a ton of talent on the Lions rosterr there. Calvin Johnson? They don't call him mega-tron because he lacks talent. How about Matt Stafford? Ndmakung Suh?

Louis Delmas is a very good safety. Nick Fairly, Jhavid Best. Titus Young is a talented young WR.

The Lions lack experience, but what they don't lack is talent. That is where you're false.

San Fran has Crabtree and Davis, but other than that, they are performing above there talent level. I want to see how the season plays out.

Nick Fairely has hardly played, Best is hot and cold at best, Stafford has yet to play a full season, yes they have Suh and Megatron.

9'ers have much more talent than listed. They have, IIRC, 3 1st rounders on their O-line, Patrick Willis, Frank Gore, Braylon Edwards, and Vernon Davis.

Packers have significantly more talent than both

Splat
10-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Splat,

I never said they didn't have talent I said GB has more and they are the more complete team.

Pat Sims 90
10-17-2011, 02:58 PM
AFC Division Leaders: Patriots, Chargers, Ravens, Titans
AFC Wildcard: Bengals, Bills
NFC Division Leaders: Eagles, 49ers, Packers, Saints
NFC Wildcard: Lions, Falcons

MVP:
OPOY: Tom Brady
DPOY: Patrick Willis
DROY: Aldon Smith

RaiderNation
10-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Superbowl Winner: Atlanta Falcons
Superbowl MVP: Matt Ryan
AFC Division Leaders: Pats, Raiders, Texans, Ravens
AFC Wildcard: Steelers, Bills
NFC Division Leaders: Cowboys, 49ers, Saints, Packers
NFC Wildcard: Lions, Falcons

Coach of the Year: Hue Jackson

soybean
10-17-2011, 03:03 PM

Plus, I think votes favor coaches who take a previous losing team to becoming a winning team.

bucfan12
10-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Plus, I think votes favor coaches who take a previous losing team to becoming a winning team.

Ask Raheem Morris and TOdd Haley that 1 last year.

jrdrylie
10-17-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm not buying into the Packers right now. They look unstoppable but they have only played 1 team with a winning record (Saints) and 2 3-3 team (Falcons, Bears). The combined record of their opponents thus far has been 12-22. So yes, it looks easy to them, because it has been. Not to mention how difficult it is to repeat in this league.

What? Atlanta had the best record in the NFC last year. Chicago and New Orleans tied for the second best record. They aren't exactly playing all cupcakes and they won the Super Bowl last year. What's not to buy? I'm not guaranteeing they are going to repeat but there is no way anyone can say they aren't the overwhelming favorites.

BmoreBlackByrdz
10-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Superbowl MVP: Charles Woodson
AFC Division Leaders: Patriots, Chargers, Texans, Ravens
NFC Division Leaders: Eagles, 49ers, Saints, Packers
NFC Wildcard: Lions, Giants

MVP: Tom Brady
Coach of the Year: Hue Jackson
DROY: Aldon Smith

BuddyCHRIST
10-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Superbowl Winner: Saints
Superbowl MVP: Brees
AFC Division Leaders: Patriots, Chargers, Texans, Ravens
NFC Division Leaders: Packers, Saints, 49ers, Giants
NFC Wildcard: Lions, Cowboys

MVP: Rodgers
Coach of the Year: Harbaugh
OPOY: Rodgers
DPOY: Ware

Bills2083
10-17-2011, 04:01 PM
I saw that Von Miller was benched last week due to his play.
To the Bronco fans on here... is he expected to get his starting role back any time soon, or is he going to be a situational player for a little while? I tried looking up on that but couldn't find too much

OSUGiants17
10-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Superbowl Winner: Baltimore Ravens
Superbowl MVP: Ed Reed
AFC Division Leaders: Patriots, Ravens, Texans, Raiders
AFC Wildcard: Bills, Chargers
NFC Division Leaders: Giants, Packers, Saints, 49ers
NFC Wildcard: Lions, Bucs

Coach of the Year: Jim Schwartz or Jim Harbaugh
OPOY: Darren McFadden
DPOY: Jason Pierre-Paul
DROY: Vonn Miller

jth1331
10-17-2011, 04:21 PM
I saw that Von Miller was benched last week due to his play.
To the Bronco fans on here... is he expected to get his starting role back any time soon, or is he going to be a situational player for a little while? I tried looking up on that but couldn't find too much

Miller was "benched" because he's a rookie adapting to covering TE's/RB's.
He'll be starting again next week.

descendency
10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
I personally have Harbaugh and Schwartz as the top 2 COTY candidates. I say we put both in a octagon and let the winner be COTY.

J-Mike88
10-17-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm not buying into the Packers right now. They look unstoppable but they have only played 1 team with a winning record
LOL @ that comment!
Last year's #1 & #2 seeds in the NFC playoffs were Atlanta and Chicago.
The Packers have played both of them, in their parks, in primetime this season, and won both games pretty easily.

This year, many predicted the Saints to win the NFC. The Packers lit them up for 42 points in beating them.

Atlanta and Chicago would both have winning records right now if they hadn't lost to us.

Classic!

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 05:54 PM
What? Atlanta had the best record in the NFC last year. Chicago and New Orleans tied for the second best record. They aren't exactly playing all cupcakes and they won the Super Bowl last year. What's not to buy? I'm not guaranteeing they are going to repeat but there is no way anyone can say they aren't the overwhelming favorites.

I was mainly referring to people picking them to win the SB again.

However, I would venture to say the harder part of their schedule is ahead of them and thus the comment that its looked easy for them, is partly due to the fact that they have only played one team with a winning record thus far

bucfan12
10-17-2011, 05:56 PM
I think people are just looking for something negative to say about the Packers, when frankly there is none.

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 06:00 PM
I think people are just looking for something negative to say about the Packers, when frankly there is none.

I'm not saying they aren't good or won't do well. I'm just not buying that they are the best team in the league right now despite their undefeated record do to the evidence which I've already stated.

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 06:10 PM
LOL @ that comment!
Last year's #1 & #2 seeds in the NFC playoffs were Atlanta and Chicago.
The Packers have played both of them, in their parks, in primetime this season, and won both games pretty easily.

This year, many predicted the Saints to win the NFC. The Packers lit them up for 42 points in beating them.

Atlanta and Chicago would both have winning records right now if they hadn't lost to us.

Classic!

Is this year last year? I wasn't aware that it was 2010 and your record last year meant more than your record this year? The colts were the best team in the AFC south LAST year, does that make them so THIS year? Despite an 0-6 record?

Furthermore "many people predicted..." im gunna stop you right there, what merit do peoples predictions during the preseason have over the current situation? Also, an 8 point differential in the game your speaking of is hardly being lit up.

ALSO also, If I recall the ATL win was not that easy as they were down early and only sealed the deal with 10 points in the fourth quarter, 11 points might be a little bigger differential than the 8 against NO but the game was hardly easy.

Yes they did win all these but I am still not buying them as the best team in football at this moment

Splat
10-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Yes they did win all these but I am still not buying them as the best team in football at this moment

Who is better?

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Who is better?

Equal arguments can be made for teams like the Lions (whom the packers have yet to face) Baltimore and the 9'ers (both of whom have beaten more than 1 team with winning records, Baltimore has beaten 3). Even NE despite their defense is 5-1 and has played arguably a harder schedule....

Their are arguments for many teams and I don't see how a team that has played only 1 team with a winning record, whose harder part of their schedule is yet to come has clearly separated themselves from the teams listed above yet

Bengalsrocket
10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm going to agree here. It's such a small sample size so far that the Ravens, Patriots or 49ers could all be undefeated at this point. And just as easily, the Packers could have lost a game or two.

I think by week 8 or so we'll have seen enough of every team to really know their true colors.

However, if you did rank them right now, I think the Packers would be on the top. Like I said, it's such a small sample size you almost HAVE to take into account that they're still the world champions and have yet to be dethroned.

tjsunstein
10-17-2011, 06:50 PM
If you watch the Packers play every week, and then watch the Lions and 49ers; you will see the difference in play. You're going to rely on stats when picking the best team in the league? What happened to the eye test. The only team that can be argued next to the Packers this year are the Pats.

The Packers can't control who they played, and are going to play. But, they've handled their opponents with as much ease you're going to see in the NFL these days.

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 06:59 PM
If you watch the Packers play every week, and then watch the Lions and 49ers; you will see the difference in play. You're going to rely on stats when picking the best team in the league? What happened to the eye test. The only team that can be argued next to the Packers this year are the Pats.

The Packers can't control who they played, and are going to play. But, they've handled their opponents with as much ease you're going to see in the NFL these days.

I'd argue that the Ravens are in the discussion as well, They have beaten some stiff competition and may have the best defense in the league this year.

Furthermore I am using a combination of eye test and stats. Yes, at times it has looked easy for them but there have been close games and while it has looked easy, one must look at it objectively as regardless of the NFL not being a stat driven league, they haven't played as good a teams this year as others have who are only 5-1 or 4-2. While the Bears and Falcons might look good on paper, both have struggled this year. Their hardest opponent thus far may have been the Saints and they only beat them by 8 points.

All I'm saying here is that its not so clear cut as "they are 6-0 so they are the best team" just as you say: stats aren't everything. or "they one the SB LAST year so they are the best team THIS year" its not an easy league to repeat in.

tjsunstein
10-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Does consistency mean nothing in this league? The Packers have been doing this since their must win in Week 16 last year.

Complex
10-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Cage match to decide the winner.

I was thinking of a Buried Alive match

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Does consistency mean nothing in this league? The Packers have been doing this since their must win in Week 16 last year.

I'm not saying that they couldn't be the best team in the league, I am merely saying that there are other teams who are in the conversation as well and that the Packers are anything but clear cut favorites at this point.

tjsunstein
10-17-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm not saying that they couldn't be the best team in the league, I am merely saying that there are other teams who are in the conversation as well and that the Packers are anything but clear cut favorites at this point.
There really is no one who has played better week in and week out thus far. I don't think I'm even being a homer here. If you were to make a poll right now, the Packers would be well ahead of everyone else.

Jughead10
10-17-2011, 07:24 PM

Reminds me of the Giants after we won the Super Bowl. Took off Week 16 and 17, won 3 straight on the road and the Super Bowl, then went 11-1 until Plax shot himself and ruined the locker room. Lesson of this story, keep your WRs away from guns.

Splat
10-17-2011, 07:26 PM
I was thinking of a Buried Alive match

Inferno match with Todd Haley as the special referee.

Complex
10-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Inferno match with Todd Haley as the special referee.

A I quit match with special guest referee Nick Saban.

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 07:35 PM
There really is no one who has played better week in and week out thus far. I don't think I'm even being a homer here. If you were to make a poll right now, the Packers would be well ahead of everyone else.

So Baltimore beating the defending AFC champs 35-7 in a dominant performance wasn't better than the one score differential against NO, were NO made it all the way to the goal line at the end of the game?

When they were losing early against the Falcons they were better than the 9'ers handily beating the Buccaneers (A team with a winning team mind you) 48-3?

I'd venture to say that there have definitely been weeks where other teams have looked more dominant than the Packers in the same week.

A I quit match with special guest referee Nick Saban.

I'm personally a fan of the one where you have to put your opponent in a coffin and shut the lid on them to win

tjsunstein
10-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Is this year last year? I wasn't aware that it was 2010 and your record last year meant more than your record this year? The colts were the best team in the AFC south LAST year, does that make them so THIS year? Despite an 0-6 record?

Furthermore "many people predicted..." im gunna stop you right there, what merit do peoples predictions during the preseason have over the current situation? Also, an 8 point differential in the game your speaking of is hardly being lit up.

ALSO also, If I recall the ATL win was not that easy as they were down early and only sealed the deal with 10 points in the fourth quarter, 11 points might be a little bigger differential than the 8 against NO but the game was hardly easy.

So Baltimore beating the defending AFC champs 35-7 in a dominant performance wasn't better than the one score differential against NO, were NO made it all the way to the goal line at the end of the game?

When they were losing early against the Falcons they were better than the 9'ers handily beating the Buccaneers (A team with a winning team mind you) 48-3?

I'd venture to say that there have definitely been weeks where other teams have looked more dominant than the Packers in the same week.

You're starting to contradict yourself.

Teams may have looked more impressive on certain weeks but overall, the Packers have been the best over the 6 week span.

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 07:59 PM
You're starting to contradict yourself.

Teams may have looked more impressive on certain weeks but overall, the Packers have been the best over the 6 week span.

If your gunna use the argument of last year to support your argument then I can show you a reason why things that happened last year support my argument as well.

Not quite sure how this makes me contradict myself unless you are saying that me following your logic to prove my point as you did yours is invalid, thus contradicting yourself.

As far as the best over a 6 week span, they may have the most wins but I don't think that with your own eye test argument you can say they have looked like the best team in the league, at least not head and shoulder better above others.

but now we are both just repeating ourselves...

tjsunstein
10-17-2011, 08:13 PM
If your gunna use the argument of last year to support your argument then I can show you a reason why things that happened last year support my argument as well.

Not quite sure how this makes me contradict myself unless you are saying that me following your logic to prove my point as you did yours is invalid, thus contradicting yourself.

As far as the best over a 6 week span, they may have the most wins but I don't think that with your own eye test argument you can say they have looked like the best team in the league, at least not head and shoulder better above others.

but now we are both just repeating ourselves...
I only used that once, when showing the consistency of the Packers. I didn't use it in the sense that I'm defending the opponents validity.

You said that it's pointless to use records from last year then go on and use the term defending AFC champs.

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 08:16 PM
I only used that once, when showing the consistency of the Packers. I didn't use it in the sense that I'm defending the opponents validity.

You said that it's pointless to use records from last year then go on and use the term defending AFC champs.

Alright well the team that they beat has a winning record THIS year as well. Better?

tjsunstein
10-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Alright well the team that they beat has a winning record THIS year as well. Better?
Cool, but again, it doesn't matter who you play, it's how you play. Because you can't control who you play but you can control how you play. They've been winning games and playing like the most complete team in the league. What more would you like from them right now?

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Cool, but again, it doesn't matter who you play, it's how you play. Because you can't control who you play but you can control how you play. They've been winning games and playing like the most complete team in the league. What more would you like from them right now?

I feel you missed my original point, which was that I'm not buying them as the best team, I'm not saying they aren't a good team. You say they can't help who they've played which is true, but I will buy into them more when they face some better teams.

the fact that there only game against a team with a winning record came down to a one possession differential with NO knocking on their door at the end of the game leaves me with some reasonable doubts about them vs. teams who have played more teams with winning records and beaten them handily and have still been fairly successful not undefeated, but with only one or two losses.

tjsunstein
10-17-2011, 09:25 PM
I feel you missed my original point, which was that I'm not buying them as the best team, I'm not saying they aren't a good team. You say they can't help who they've played which is true, but I will buy into them more when they face some better teams.

the fact that there only game against a team with a winning record came down to a one possession differential with NO knocking on their door at the end of the game leaves me with some reasonable doubts about them vs. teams who have played more teams with winning records and beaten them handily and have still been fairly successful not undefeated, but with only one or two losses.
You're putting an unfair amount of stock into strength of schedule here.

tjsunstein
10-17-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm certainly not the only one who thinks that Green Bay is clearly the best team right now, am I?

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 09:36 PM
You're putting an unfair amount of stock into strength of schedule here.

It is not just strength of schedule, Its the fact that they also haven't been as clearly dominant in these games as you make them out to be, with the exception being their dominance of the Rams... who have also been beaten on by every other team they've played this year.

tjsunstein
10-17-2011, 09:38 PM
It is not just strength of schedule, Its the fact that they also haven't been as clearly dominant in these games as you make them out to be, with the exception being their dominance of the Rams... who have also been beaten on by every other team they've played this year.
Then you clearly haven't been watching the games but instead of looking at the margin of victory. That's the only explanation I can think of. Aside from the Saints game, I don't think I've had a feeling we would lose heading into the final 8 minutes of any game.

yo123
10-17-2011, 09:44 PM
How is Green Bay clearly better than NE right now? They're both elite offenses and below average defenses. I have no idea how you can conclusively say one is better than the other at this point.

A couple of balls bounce the other way in the Buffalo game and NE is undefeated too with a tougher schedule.

Sloopy
10-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Then you clearly haven't been watching the games but instead of looking at the margin of victory. That's the only explanation I can think of. Aside from the Saints game, I don't think I've had a feeling we would lose heading into the final 8 minutes of any game.

I can again point to your strength of schedule but I feel we are just repeating ourselves here and getting no where. You are a Packers fan and thus feel your team is the best, and to no extent are you unjustified, they certainly have been a good team. I on the other hand disagree with you, as there are numerous teams who could make a claim for being the best team for X reason.

/end thread