PDA

View Full Version : Raiders acquire Carson Palmer for 2012 1st, Conditional 2013 1st

Pages : [1] 2 3

Complex
10-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports the Raiders are “trying hard” to acquire Palmer. Cole’s source “highly doubts” Bengals owner Mike Brown would make a move, but perhaps the Raiders could make him think with a big offer.

link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/17/report-raiders-trying-hard-to-get-carson-palmer/)

Ness
10-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Sounds like a good fit to me. Mike Brown needs to trade Palmer, instead of having Palmer's salary weighing down the franchise. Just get something in return for him.

Donno
10-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Make it happen!

Basileus777
10-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Sounds like a good fit to me. Mike Brown needs to trade Palmer, instead of having Palmer's salary weighing down the franchise. Just get something in return for him.
Wouldn't Palmer have to unretire before his salary has any effect on Cinci?

Bengalsrocket
10-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Wouldn't Palmer have to unretire before his salary has any effect on Cinci?

Pretty sure you don't get paid for doing nothing. Either way though, it's not like we're missing out on big signings right now.

themaninblack
10-16-2011, 11:55 PM
He's not retired he's on the reserve/did not report list and his salary isn't being the paid to him.

Hopefully we can get something decent out of this if it were to happen, which is unlikely. Wouldn't mind a couple extra draft picks at all.

coordinator0
10-16-2011, 11:57 PM
He's not retired he's on the reserve/did not report list and his salary isn't being the paid to him.

Hopefully we can get something decent out of this if it were to happen, which is unlikely. Wouldn't mind a couple extra draft picks at all.

It's Oakland, they barely have any picks left to trade lol.

themaninblack
10-17-2011, 12:02 AM
It's Oakland, they barely have any picks left to trade lol.

It's ok we'll just throw in Cedric Benson and take Darren McFadden off their hands. Deal?

Xonraider
10-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Al Davis would probably be able to pull off a deal of this sort. Whoever negotiates now, please do whatever he used to do.

Pat Sims 90
10-17-2011, 12:29 AM
He would just ruin any chance the Raiders go to the playoffs. The only way i see Mike Brown trading him is the Raiders offer MB 2 1st Round Draft picks and i don't think the Raiders are that dumb.

RaiderNation
10-17-2011, 01:24 AM
I would much rather just sign Garrard than overpay on Palmer.

TACKLE
10-17-2011, 01:31 AM
I would much rather just sign Garrard than overpay on Palmer.

i dunno, i think carson gives you a legit shot at the playoffs. i can't say the same about garrard.

bucfan12
10-17-2011, 01:32 AM
They don't have the picks to pulll off a trade for Palmer. No 3rd and and I think that's what it'll take for him.

We might see the Terrell Pryor era start sooner than later.

bucfan12
10-17-2011, 01:33 AM
i dunno, i think carson gives you a legit shot at the playoffs. i can't say the same about garrard.

It's going to be a similar situation kind of with Indianapolis. If you sign a guy like Garrard, he doesn't know the offense nor does he have any chemistry or practice time with WRs.

Boller gives you a better chance because of time spent in the offense and TC.

soybean
10-17-2011, 01:50 AM
It's going to be a similar situation kind of with Indianapolis. If you sign a guy like Garrard, he doesn't know the offense nor does he have any chemistry or practice time with WRs.

Boller gives you a better chance because of time spent in the offense and TC.

Except for the fact that Boller is terrible.

nepg
10-17-2011, 02:00 AM
Trent Edwards looks like a genius for turning down the Dolphins now. He'll likely get the nod to come in and backup Boller and it shouldn't take long for him to take the job.

SolidGold
10-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Trent Edwards looks like a genius for turning down the Dolphins now. He'll likely get the nod to come in and backup Boller and it shouldn't take long for him to take the job.

That would be great if Edwards gets resigned and somehow leads them to the playoffs. It still makes me sad that he never panned out in buffalo. He looked promising early on and Bill Walsh loved him as a prospect.

nepg
10-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Yeah. Edwards just lost his arm, and became a checkdown artist. I still think he's better than a bunch of the starters in the NFL currently and might even be an upgrade over Campbell.

SolidGold
10-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Yeah. Edwards just lost his arm, and became a checkdown artist. I still think he's better than a bunch of the starters in the NFL currently and might even be an upgrade over Campbell.

Yea I think he just got so beat up in Buffalo he developed David Carr syndrome. Oakland has a pretty good o-line and run game which could help his confidence. Than again, if he doesn't get resigned by Oakland its pretty much a moot point.

Unbiased
10-17-2011, 08:30 AM

How is his salary weighing down the franchise?

LonghornsLegend
10-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Sadly, Mike Brown is an idiot so there is nothing to make of this. He'd rather "make a point", even though nobody actually knows what that point is, instead of improve his football team. Carson Palmer isn't even that good anymore, but you could probably milk a team for a high pick to put more weapons around Dalton, or a RBotf which I think they need next.

Splat
10-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Sadly, Mike Brown is an idiot so there is nothing to make of this. He'd rather "make a point", even though nobody actually knows what that point is, instead of improve his football team. Carson Palmer isn't even that good anymore, but you could probably milk a team for a high pick to put more weapons around Dalton, or a RBotf which I think they need next.

Thread....

asdf1223
10-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Why is Oakland in such a hurry to win now? Al is dead anyway and most of their key talent is pretty young and Hue's only in his second year in the organization.

Just don't like the idea of trading away picks/young players for an old QB who looked pretty bad all of last year, has to learn a new system and missed camp and the first 6 weeks of the season.

SolidGold
10-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Why is Oakland in such a hurry to win now? Al is dead anyway and most of their key talent is pretty young and Hue's only in his second year in the organization.

Just don't like the idea of trading away picks/young players for an old QB who looked pretty bad all of last year, has to learn a new system and missed camp and the first 6 weeks of the season.

Funny thing is they don't have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder next year.

jrdrylie
10-17-2011, 09:34 AM
They don't have the picks to pulll off a trade for Palmer. No 3rd and and I think that's what it'll take for him.

We might see the Terrell Pryor era start sooner than later.

I think it would take a lot more than a 3rd to get him. Maybe if they were dealing with a normal franchise they could get Carson for a third. But I would think that it would take a first rounder to get him. They don't have a 2nd, they used a 3rd on Pryor, and traded a 4th for Campbell. Do they give up a 1st, leaving their first pick as a 5th rounder? However, they are bound to get at least a 3rd and 4th in Compensatory picks from losing Nhamdi and Zach Miller.

EvilNixon
10-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Another Bengals QB knows the offense and the receivers.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Bruce-Gradkowski-260x152.jpg

Shane P. Hallam
10-17-2011, 11:35 AM

Because they are good? Why not win now? McFadden is at the top of his game, they have key veteran pieces on defense and the division is winnable. Oakland can compete with most teams in the NFL. A lucky game or two in the playoffs, and they could get it done.

gpngc
10-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Which of the following do you want to happen?

A) Kyle Boller remains the starter
B) Oakland trades for Carson Palmer
C) Oakland signs David Garrard
D) Terrelle Pryor earns the job
E) Oakland trades for Kyle Orton
F) B,C, D, or E, but definitely not A

The correct answer is E.

49erNation85
10-17-2011, 12:00 PM
I want to see Terrelle Pryor win the job dang it.What do they got to lose ha.

sbh15
10-17-2011, 12:04 PM

they're 4-2 right now, they have the afc west to lose by starting pryor

49erNation85
10-17-2011, 12:05 PM
HA true I just realize that watching NFL N my bad . But still if he came in and won the division while playing it would be good for him.

gpngc
10-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Free agent QB David Garrard's agent said it's "highly possible" his client will work out for the Raiders.
The Raiders are casting a wide net in their search for quarterback help, but Garrard should be their top priority. The agent's comment suggests that Garrard does indeed have interest in playing for the 4-2 Raiders.
Related: Raiders
Source: Terry McCormick on Twitter

I don't think anyone could say confidently that he's a downgrade from JC.

ElectricEye
10-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Brown is an idiot if he doesn't get something done. Truly. There's zero incentive not to trade Palmer and try to hit the lottery with an extra third or fourth round pick, which has happened before and will happen again.

It would be a decent move for the Raiders to try as well. Not so crazy about the cost, but they have a legit shot at the post-season with a quarterback who can compliment their running game and find some of those fast receivers down the field on occasion.

Splat
10-17-2011, 01:02 PM

Games. They would lose games.

RaiderNation
10-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I see Garrard as basically an older Campbell, less of an arm but can still be a starter in the league. Behind DMC and our oline, Garrard shouldn't have much trouble learning the offense.

Shane P. Hallam
10-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Games. They would lose games.

Haha perfect. For a team who right now is a tiebreaker away from the playoffs, may not be a good idea to start your suspended rookie QB.

Komp
10-17-2011, 01:43 PM
I don't think anyone could say confidently that he's a downgrade from JC.

So the Raiders are trying to do what the Seahawks should have done? Garrard would probably be the best bang for the buck for Oakland.

diabsoule
10-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Oakland Raiders and David Garrard progressing in talks, sources report Garrard expected to work out for Raiders.

Raiderz4Life
10-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Idc who we get as long as they meet these follow requirements:

1. Are better than Boller
2. Will be good enough to let the Pryor era begin (which I strongly hope never does)
3. Is AT LEAST as good as Campbell

Complex
10-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Garrard will have surgery

link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/17/report-garrard-will-have-back-surgery/)

Time to sign this guy
http://www.shoppingblog.com/pics/brett_favre_wrangle_0809.jpg

Job Reborn
10-17-2011, 02:49 PM
He would kinda look good in a Raiders jersey. Anyway he's done and won't come back, and we're all kinda glad.

MetSox17
10-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Maybe that's why Garrard was looking for a guaranteed contract.. that sneaky ****.

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/21025/David-Garrard-needs-back-surgery/Default.aspx

bucfan12
10-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Something tells me we'll be seeing Terrell Pryor a lot sooner.

gpngc
10-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Matt Flynn
Josh Johnson
Donovan McNabb
Jimmy Clausen
Dennis Dixon
Stephen McGee
Vince Young
Brian Hoyer

or....

Give up something for Ryan Mallet............................................ ...........

Splat
10-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Something tells me we'll be seeing Terrell Pryor a lot sooner.

Why do people keep saying this? He isn't any good.

LonghornsLegend
10-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Matt Flynn
Josh Johnson
Donovan McNabb
Jimmy Clausen
Dennis Dixon
Stephen McGee
Vince Young
Brian Hoyer

or....

Give up something for Ryan Mallet............................................ ...........

I don't think a young guy makes any sense though. They have their young developmental QB right now, they need a "win now" QB. Trading for most of these guys would be pretty pointless.

lex
10-17-2011, 04:20 PM
After the surgery campbell said it could take six weeks for him to come back. Look at the schedule :
KC @ OAK
bye week
DEN @ OAK
OAK @ SD
OAK @ MIN
CHI @ OAK
OAK @ MIA

You can easily win 3-4 of those games and stay in playoff hunt with good defense, strong running game and average QB play. No need to panic and give up high draft picks for a washed up inconsistent QB. Just get a solid vet that can compete with boller and leave pryor where he belongs, the bench.

nepg
10-17-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't think a young guy makes any sense though. They have their young developmental QB right now, they need a "win now" QB. Trading for most of these guys would be pretty pointless.
Flynn, McGee, and Hoyer make sense. Two of them are definitely upgrades over Campbell and one should be. All three can win now. I'd have reservations about McGee, though because he's still a bit of an unknown (hasn't shown consistency).

J-Mike88
10-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Why is Oakland in such a hurry to win now?
Al is dead anyway and.....
Why win now? Well maybe because they went 6-0 vs their division last year, and they think they're a better team now.

Palmer would have some nice weapons there.

Agree with the LonghornLegend though. Even though Cinci has a hit in Dalton (way better stats and results than fellow rook Cam Newton), the GM would rather punish Palmer then use him to acquire some additional personnel.

Way to stay true to your values at the expense of the team, and fan base.

J-Mike88
10-17-2011, 04:44 PM
After the surgery campbell said it could take six weeks for him to come back. Look at the schedule :
KC @ OAK (auto win)
bye week
DEN @ OAK (auto win)
OAK @ SD
OAK @ MIN
CHI @ OAK
OAK @ MIA (should easily win)

You can easily win 3-4 of those games and stay in playoff hunt with good defense, strong running game and average QB play. No need to panic and give up high draft picks for a washed up inconsistent QB. Just get a solid vet that can compete with boller and leave pryor where he belongs, the bench.
Right on.
Terrell Pryor?

WMD
10-17-2011, 04:46 PM
We'll trade Shaun Hill or Drew Stanton to the Raiders for a 2nd..

RaiderNation
10-17-2011, 04:51 PM
With Garrard needing back surgery, I hope we look at Gradkowski on the Bengals. Even though Bruce didn't play well last year under Hue, we have seen him be able to win on our team and should be viewed as a much better option right now compared to Boller/Pryor.

Komp
10-17-2011, 04:54 PM
We'll trade Shaun Hill or Drew Stanton to the Raiders for a 2nd..

Sorry, you lost me at Shaun Hill.

Ness
10-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Maybe that's why Garrard was looking for a guaranteed contract.. that sneaky ****.

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/21025/David-Garrard-needs-back-surgery/Default.aspx

Garrard should have just made a decision a lot sooner. He's what, 34? His options are dwindling.

_YL_
10-17-2011, 05:00 PM
I just don't think Oakland will sign anyone else. They will roll the ball with Boller until Campbell can come back. He is having surgery today so 6-8 weeks I feel like by the Miami game he will come back and the Chargers week 10 and Bears week 12 are the only games that have teams with winning records. It sucks that it happened but it couldn't have happened at a better time.

WMD
10-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Shaun Hill is quality.

Brent
Yeah, I get lost in my lust for Shaun Hill, too.

Caulibflower
BRUCE.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Bruce-Gradkowski-260x152.jpg

You gotta think both Oakland's front office and Bruce Gradkowski are wishing right now he hadn't ended up in Cincy. Oakland's offense wouldn't miss a beat with Gradkowski in there. I've long thought he's one of the more underrated quarterbacks in the league. Was a little surprised Andy Dalton started out of the gate for the Bengals, given my respect of Gradkowski, but Dalton's been winning so no one's going to complain. Wonder if there's any likelihood/possibility/feasibility in imagining Gradkowski goes back to Oakland? I wouldn't be shocked if they'd rather have him back than to bring Palmer in to learn the offense from nothing. It's not like Palmer was a top quarterback when he stopped playing; he hadn't been for several years.

TheFinisher
10-17-2011, 05:14 PM

The right answer for Oakland is this guy...

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jon+Kitna+Dallas+Cowboys+v+Indianapolis+Colts+h3Gl 51OhUXpl.jpg

nepg
10-17-2011, 05:26 PM
I think Kitna would be a good trade. I think McGee needs to be moved up in the depth chart if they're serious about him anyway.

TheFinisher
10-17-2011, 05:30 PM
I think Kitna would be a good trade. I think McGee needs to be moved up in the depth chart if they're serious about him anyway.

Kitna played well for us last year, he's definitely a guy you can win with. Still has a live arm and would work well in that offense.

LonghornsLegend
10-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Kitna played well for us last year, he's definitely a guy you can win with. Still has a live arm and would work well in that offense.

Which is why there is no incentive for us to trade him. We already needed him this year, Romo does still have fractured ribs. We wouldn't trade our insurance like that.

Xonraider
10-17-2011, 06:29 PM
KC @ OAK
bye week
DEN @ OAK
OAK @ SD
OAK @ MIN
CHI @ OAK
OAK @ MIA

This is true, of those games we should win 3, and possibly even 4. Let him rest against GB because we won't beat them anyways, and bring him back for Detroit which will be a very tough matchup that we might be able to win if we play a good game.

LonghornsLegend
10-17-2011, 08:38 PM
KC, Denver, & Miami all need QB's too. Oakland can easily win. Vikes game is certainly winnable as well. That's a pretty comfortable 4 games + bye stretch. The Chicago and Chargers game would be fine to lose if you can find a way to win those 4.

Job Reborn
10-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Flynn, McGee, and Hoyer make sense. Two of them are definitely upgrades over Campbell and one should be. All three can win now. I'd have reservations about McGee, though because he's still a bit of an unknown (hasn't shown consistency).

Please explain to me how Hoyer and Flynn have shown more consistency, or are any less of an unknown than McGee. Outside of playing against second stringers in preseason, Flynn has a career rating of 67.4 and has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns, whilst Hoyer has only played in garbage time over the past two years and his stats have been quite average.

_YL_
10-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Shaun Hill name has finally came up. Supposedly in trade talks for him. Wouldn't be bad IMO I feel like he could get the ball to the Wrs.

nepg
10-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Please explain to me how Hoyer and Flynn have shown more consistency, or are any less of an unknown than McGee. Outside of playing against second stringers in preseason, Flynn has a career rating of 67.4 and has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns, whilst Hoyer has only played in garbage time over the past two years and his stats have been quite average.
They've both looked good leading their teams in pre-season. Good confidence, and strong command in the huddle and at the line. Flynn had a start against the Patriots last year and looked really good running that offense. Rodgers wouldn't have been an upgrade in that game with how well Flynn played. They're both also used to being very much in each game as the primary backup to Rodgers and Brady (which is why neither will be dealt mid-season unless there's an incredible offer) whereas McGee is the third QB behind Jon Kitna in Dallas. He doesn't have close to the level of responsibility the other two have.

Job Reborn
10-18-2011, 12:06 AM
They've both looked good leading their teams in pre-season. Good confidence, and strong command in the huddle and at the line. Flynn had a start against the Patriots last year and looked really good running that offense. Rodgers wouldn't have been an upgrade in that game with how well Flynn played. They're both also used to being very much in each game as the primary backup to Rodgers and Brady (which is why neither will be dealt mid-season unless there's an incredible offer) whereas McGee is the third QB behind Jon Kitna in Dallas. He doesn't have close to the level of responsibility the other two have.

And that makes them more consistent? I think you need to review that definition.

Also, preseasons don't count.

LonghornsLegend
10-18-2011, 12:18 AM

http://www.labelheaven.co.uk/images/P/es-smi-0060_200.jpg

_YL_
10-18-2011, 12:27 AM
The twitter rumor of the hour is S.Hill trade in close to being done. well see tomorrow but this one I can actually see happen.

Complex
10-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Doesn't he have below average arm?

V.I.P
10-18-2011, 12:51 AM
They need Bruce Almighty, i mean Gradkowski.

BRAVEHEART
10-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Shaun Hill is quality.

This right here.

nepg
10-18-2011, 01:16 AM
http://www.labelheaven.co.uk/images/P/es-smi-0060_200.jpg
Watch the game, did you?

nepg
10-18-2011, 01:18 AM
And that makes them more consistent? I think you need to review that definition.

Also, preseasons don't count.
Body language in mop up and preseason is certainly useful for judging a player.

RaiderNation
10-18-2011, 01:43 AM
In the limited time Shaun Hill has been on the field, I always have thought he was a NFL caliber QB, he just has never been surrounded by much talent. He was apart of some bad 49er teams, but last year when Stafford went down I thought he played pretty well. If he could come into Oakland and learn the offense quickly, I really think he will give us a better chance to win rather than starting Boller. Whatever happens, I think we will make our move tomorrow. Whether it we trade, sign or stay with what we got, tomorrow will be the day we basically find out what we will do.

hawkeye123
10-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Shaun Hill? Now there's a guy that brings back some memories.

http://i.imgur.com/eaH6T.jpg

Ness
10-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Shaun Hill on the Raiders? Oh my goodness. I don't think Al would be a fan. Let's just say he's not Daryle Lamonica.

Grizzlegom
10-18-2011, 09:02 AM
JayGlazer Jay Glazer
The Raiders & Bengals are close to a trade that would send Carson Palmer to OAK for a first-rounder in 2012 and a conditional pick in future

JayGlazer Jay Glazer
The trade is expected to be completed by deadline. Hue Jackson has a close relationship w Mike Brown and really worked to get Brown to budge

_YL_
10-18-2011, 09:08 AM
I honestly really don't know how I feel about this. But I trust Hue Jackson

elway=goat
10-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Jay Glazer is on Dan Patricks radio show saying the Raiders are going to give up next years number 1 pick, and a conditional 2013 pick.

jth1331
10-18-2011, 09:10 AM
lol, what picks will the Raiders have next year?

_YL_
10-18-2011, 09:10 AM
lol, what picks will the Raiders have next year?

We will get at least 2 3rd round comp picks for Aso and Miller.

Komp
10-18-2011, 09:13 AM
This idea does not make me happy. We might make the playofffs but we have too many holes to make a run to the bowl. Can't rely on fake FG TD passes to pull out more games. A 1st rd pick is not worth it unless Palmer comes in and plays like a champ for 2-3 years and do we even have the cap space for Palmer?

jth1331
10-18-2011, 09:14 AM
We will get at least 2 3rd round comp picks for Aso and Miller.

I was going to say, why a 3rd for Miller? Then I saw he signed 5 years, $35 million with $17 mil guaranteed. Seattle are idiots for that contract lol.

_YL_
10-18-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't epect Palmer to play Sunday but we do have a bye week coming up get him ready then get the timing down with bey and moore and our passing game could be sick with Palmer

CC.SD
10-18-2011, 09:19 AM
bahahaha I'm not sure teams would have traded a first for Carson in freaking 2006

_YL_
10-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Being reporter by ESPN AND NFLNETWORK

Giantsfan1080
10-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Wow Cindy actually making a good deal. Of course the Raiders are on the other side of it though. I guess Al is still pulling the strings somehow.

Splat
10-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Nice work by the Bengals.

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 09:28 AM
bahahaha I'm not sure teams would have traded a first for Carson in freaking 2006

After the 2006 season, teams would have traded multiple firsts for Palmer. The trade would have been more compensation than the Cutler trade.

San Diego Chicken
10-18-2011, 09:30 AM
It's a good trade for Cinci, unless the Raiders squeeze the Bengals out of a wild card spot on the strength of this deal. Then it doesn't look so good.

Grizzlegom
10-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Looks like its extremely likely that this ends up being a 1st in 2012 and a 1st in 2013.

Mr.Regular
10-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Not only is it a first.... the 2013 pick is a conditional first as well....

Wow Oakland......words can not describe how bad that trade is.

ElectricEye
10-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Wow....that's more than they should be giving up for Palmer. WAY more. They must view him as a long term answer. Mike Brown really lucked into that, this is just a flat out dumb move.

General Zod
Looks like its extremely likely that this ends up being a 1st in 2012 and a 1st in 2013.

Wow, if that is true, then that is just insane.

bantx
Really. Raiders gave up a 1st for Carson Palmer? a 32 year old QB. They must be banking on Terrell Pryor to pan out for them because there is no drafting anyone in next years draft.

fenikz
10-18-2011, 09:35 AM
i think id take palmer for 2 1sts over kolb for drc & a 2nd

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2011, 09:36 AM
The tragedy in all this is that Mike Brown looks like a genius for not trading Palmer until now, ugh.

descendency
10-18-2011, 09:37 AM
This is where you come to realize that Al Davis may have not been the worst thing for the Raiders. . . Whomever is running football operations now is much worse.

Razor
10-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Not only is it a first.... the 2013 pick is a conditional first as well....

Wow Oakland......words can not describe how bad that trade is.

This is exactly how I feel. The sad thing, like Shane said, is that Brown will look like a genius for doing this. And if the Raiders win the big one with Palmer at QB they will look like geniuses as well. That would be a tragedy. This is by far one of the dumbest trades ever if it goes down like this. "Ugh" just doesn't cut it.

Matthew Jones
10-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Two first round picks? Even Al Davis is rolling in his grave.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Jay Glazer is on Dan Patricks radio show saying the Raiders are going to give up next years number 1 pick, and a conditional 2013 pick.

Holy trade rape! Al made a trade from beyond the grave. What a deal by the Bengals.

nobodyinparticular
10-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Wow... I don't know...

Now it's TWO firsts? This is definitely Jacksons move. Raiders had better win SB in next two years and Pryor needs to develop cause they aren't getting youth soon.

General Zod
10-18-2011, 09:43 AM
So the Raiders only have 2 draft picks for next year? They'll probably get a comp pick or 2 right?

Grizzlegom
10-18-2011, 09:44 AM
So the Raiders only have 2 draft picks for next year? They'll probably get a comp pick or 2 right?

They should get two 3rd round comps between Gallery, Zach Miller, and Asomugha leaving and only bringing in Boss.

georgiafan
10-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Cant believe they gave up that much for Palmer a 32 year old QB who is at best above avg.

jth1331
10-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Raiders are in desperation mode to win now for some reason. Thing is, they are a young team and they have years to win.
Honestly, I think they should've just taken their lumps and started Boller the rest of the way hoping they win a wild card spot.

prock
10-18-2011, 09:47 AM
This is an absolutely ******** move. A first this year would be understandable if they think he can still play well, but two? That is just terrible.

Thecollegedropout
Oakland's 2012 NFL Draft:
1st round- QB Carson Palmer trade(TO CIN)
2nd round- Traded to the Pats in 2011 NFL Draft trade
3rd round- QB Terrelle Pryor selection
4th round- QB Jason Campbell trade(TO WSH)
7th round- LB Aaron Curry trade(TO SEA)

2013 NFL Draft:
1st round(Or 2nd round)- QB Carson Palmer trade(TO CIN)
5th round- LB Aaron Curry trade(TO SEA)

They have a 5th and 6th round pick and that's it in the 2012 draft.....might as well just trade that and not bother coming to the combines. This is just so silly.

EDIT: They should get comp picks for Gallery and Nmandi possibly(Nmandi for sure) but even then they are on a tight walk with picks.

bantx
Anyone who saw Boller play that Raiders was in panic mode, but what has Palmer been doing this whole time sitting around? Is he even ready or in shape?

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 09:49 AM
What in the bloody hell.....

TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS FOR CARSON BUTT ******* PALMER!?

Somehow the Raiders are WORSE without Al. This has to be amongst the stupidest, most lop sided trades in the history of the universe.

This isn't 2005 Carson Palmer, no no. This is past 30, has looked like **** for a couple seasons now Carson Palmer.

Good Christ. TWO first round picks. Good luck Raiders...you're going to need it.

bearfan
10-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Absolutely robbed. Wow.

Wasn't Palmer regressing after his injury?

How do you trade 2 first round picks for someone who demanded a trade?

This just reaffirms my belief that we @nfldc would make better GMs than some of the guys in the league

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 09:50 AM
I need to reiterate.

This is one of the stupidest ******* things ever. Just WTF. I'm angry about this because it reflects poorly on HUMANITY.

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 09:53 AM
I got on this early in the morning, exactly when i heard about this, just to mention how ******* ******** it is. I thought the stupid trades would be over now that Al Davis is dead, but god damn, this is absolutely horrible.

bantx
10-18-2011, 09:54 AM
This just make's Raiders even more irrelevant in the future for the AFC West

Da-Phins
10-18-2011, 09:55 AM
I always thought that the Raiders would be a smarter organization once Al is gone, guess thats not accurate. Palmer is better then anything the Raiders have but he isnt worth that much. Raiders screwed themselves here.

BeerBaron
I would have called it "too much" if the Raiders traded one 2nd round pick quite honestly.

My coworkers probably think I'm nuts because I'm scowling at the computer screen and muttering obscenities under my breath.

I guess I should mention how the other side of this, the Bengals, just hit the jackpot. They're surprisingly good this year, seem to have their QBotF in place with a young receiving corps, and some talent on defense. Two more first rounders to that mix is going to put them over the top.

DiG
two firsts would be insane but im figuring it to be one until i see what the conditional trigger is. even one is overpaying.

LonghornsLegend
10-18-2011, 09:56 AM
All I can do is laugh and shake my head honestly.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 09:56 AM
two firsts would be insane but im figuring it to be one until i see what the conditional trigger is. even one is overpaying.

Even if it doesn't trigger, it's still a 2nd rounder per Jay Glazer who reported it.

At the absolute minimum, the Bengals will get a first and second. Good lord.

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2011, 09:58 AM
I would have called it "too much" if the Raiders traded one 2nd round pick quite honestly.

My coworkers probably think I'm nuts because I'm scowling at the computer screen and muttering obscenities under my breath.

I guess I should mention how the other side of this, the Bengals, just hit the jackpot. They're surprisingly good this year, seem to have their QBotF in place with a young receiving corps, and some talent on defense. Two more first rounders to that mix is going to put them over the top.

Imagine if they use the 2 firsts to trade up for Trent Richardson...

bantx
10-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Can we say that the Raiders were probably better off with Al.

But looking at it for the Bengals they're set up to have a nice little draft. And I like the way that team is going.

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 09:59 AM

Then they would be god damn idiots and the trade would be a wash.

edit- unless there's a sarcastic tone in there i didn't initially pick up.

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Then they would be god damn idiots and the trade would be a wash.

edit- unless there's a sarcastic tone in there i didn't initially pick up.

There wasn't, not saying it would be smart, but would make that offense pretty nasty.

Thecollegedropout
10-18-2011, 10:02 AM
I thought if the Bengal got a 5th this year and a 4th next year that's its a heck of a haul for a guy who turns 32 in December and hasn't played since last December.

bearsfan_51
10-18-2011, 10:03 AM
There's no possible way this isn't the worst trade in the history of the NFL. No matter what happens, no matter how Carson plays, this is mind-bendingly awful.

The NFL really needs to take over the Raiders organization for the good of its fanbase.

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 10:05 AM
There wasn't, not saying it would be smart, but would make that offense pretty nasty.

It would make them much more nasty in the long term to invest those picks in the line and on defense. That offense is shaping out to be pretty good as it is, a 2nd round value back would be just as impacting.

BloodBrother
Raiders acquired QB Carson Palmer from the Bengals in exchange for a first-round pick in 2012 and a conditional first-round pick in 2013.

2 first round picks....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/Poisoning/tumblr_lmfp1bJBZs1qg08ql.gif

LonghornsLegend
Ironically Carson didn't want to play anymore because of how bad the Bengals organization was ran, so now he gets to play for Oakland. Oh how the tables turned.

And maybe Oakland hasn't seen Carson play in 5 years. In 2010 he wasn't worth a 1st round pick alone, but somehow the time off jacks it up to 2 first. That, and he's only 32, at this price he's gonna play 3-4 years minimum. So you blew that pick on Pryor to be a back-up for that long.

Oakland was getting close, and I think they panicked here.

Jason Campbell missing 5 games is the cause for this? I bet both picks are top 15-20 picks every year.

no bare feet
10-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Mike Brown > Bill Belichick

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Honestly, the worst part about it is that Mike Brown wins. He called Palmer's raise and forced him to retire, saved money by not paying him, drafted a QB that is probably doing better than Palmer would have done, AND he got possibly two first round picks for him mid-season.

I just can't bring myself to understand the stupidity of this trade. This is what happens when you let women run your NFL front office.

killxswitch
Horrible trade for the Raiders. They were poised to go in the right direction and Al Davis was finally unable to ruin things. And then they do this. Who gave the go-ahead on that one? Davis' son? Ugh. I feel bad for Raiders fans. And I even like Palmer more than most. A 1st and a 2nd/possible 1st is just terrible.

edit: and yes, Mike Brown winning is hard to stomach.

NIN1984
Here is where Oakland's draft picks went.

Round 1 - Carson Palmer, QB
Could fit right in. Hue Jackson's has known Palmer since they're USC days.

Round 2 - Joe Barksdale, OT/OG
Looked solid at LG but his future is at RT.

Round 3 - Terrell Pryor, QB
Raiders can start Palmer for the next 3 or so years while Pryor develops

Round 4 - Jason Campbell, QB
Has won some big games for Oakland and his injury was a heart breaker but he was never the long term answer.

Round 7 - Aaron Curry, OLB
Already a starter.

we also picked up a 4th from the Patriots and drafted RB Taiwan Jones.

Basileus777
10-18-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm speechless. My god is this real life? Hahaha.

bearsfan_51
10-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Honestly, the worst part about it is that Mike Brown wins. He called Palmer's raise and forced him to retire, saved money by not paying him, drafted a QB that is probably doing better than Palmer would have done, AND he got possibly two first round picks for him mid-season.

I just can't bring myself to understand the stupidity of this trade. This is what happens when you let women run your NFL front office.
No, the worst part of the trade is that the Raiders fans lose.

Mike Brown is a rich billionaire who was lucky enough to own an NFL trade by being born. He wins every day no matter what happens.

no bare feet
10-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Here is where Oakland's draft picks went.

Round 1 - Carson Palmer, QB
Could fit right in. Hue Jackson's has known Palmer since they're USC days.

Round 2 - Joe Barksdale, OT/OG
Looked solid at LG but his future is at RT.

Round 3 - Terrell Pryor, QB
Raiders can start Palmer for the next 3 or so years while Pryor develops

Round 4 - Jason Campbell, QB
Has won some big games for Oakland and his injury was a heart breaker but he was never the long term answer.

Round 7 - Aaron Curry, OLB
Already a starter.

we also picked up a 4th from the Patriots and drafted RB Taiwan Jones.

TAIWAN is AWESOME!

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 10:11 AM
No, the worst part of the trade is that the Raiders fans lose.

Mike Brown is a rich billionaire who was lucky enough to own an NFL trade by being born. He wins every day no matter what happens.

Understandable, but i'm looking at it from the view-point that a guy that is absolute scum and was two inches short from running his franchise into the ground, now has a bright future for his NFL team by taking advantage of the idiot Raiders.

Everyone involved with the Raiders loses on this one. That FO will all get canned in a year or two and the team will be in shambles once again. Jesus, right when they were showing some promise, as well.

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 10:11 AM

Do you think they would really need to trade to get Richardson? Their pick will likely be around 12th. Carolina, Minnesota, Arizona, and Miami won't be drafting a running back. Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Kansas City, and Denver likely won't either. That leaves Cleveland, St. Louis, and Seattle. Seattle could use a runner, but they need a QB even more. St. Louis could use the heir to Jackson, but I doubt they use a top-ten pick on him. Their only competition for Richardson is Cleveland.

Trogdor
10-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Poor, poor, poor Raider nation. Sure they get to win more now but 2 1sts is an incredibly poor trade.

TheMorningZoo
10-18-2011, 10:16 AM
I feel sorry for Raider fans... That trade is just god awful!

Oakland has been finally rebounding and going in the right direction these past two years, but mark my words this will derail them and set them back.

jth1331
Do you think they would really need to trade to get Richardson? Their pick will likely be around 12th. Carolina, Minnesota, Arizona, and Miami won't be drafting a running back. Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Kansas City, and Denver likely won't either. That leaves Cleveland, St. Louis, and Seattle. Seattle could use a runner, but they need a QB even more. St. Louis could use the heir to Jackson, but I doubt they use a top-ten pick on him. Their only competition for Richardson is Cleveland.

IMO, they probably have a good shot at going 8-8, which would leave them with pick 16 or so.

As for RB's, don't rule Denver out of drafting Richardson. If Tebow plays decently and they like him, they could very well take him to be the feature back. Right now they have McGahee who's on his last legs, Moreno who looks like a 3rd down back right now and then nobody.

vidae
I can't believe this actually went down. You've gotta love the Bengals future now, since Dalton and AJ are both looking very good.

BloodBrother
10-18-2011, 10:17 AM
I feel sorry for Raider fans... That trade is just god awful!

Oakland has been finally rebounding and going in the right direction these past two years, but mark my words this will derail them and set them back.

Yep. Oakland had been doing a solid job lately of adding some quality talent to their roster

then they have to go and do this to remind us that they are in fact still the same old Raiders

keylime_5
10-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Ironically Carson didn't want to play anymore because of how bad the Bengals organization was ran, so now he gets to play for Oakland. Oh how the tables turned.

yeah really. "hey carson, you think we are a bad organization? check out oakland."

well at least he gets to go back to californiland.

Not having any picks in the first 4 rounds is gonna set them back a bit. They are very close to being a contender too.

Brodeur
10-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Is this serious? Are you kidding me right now? I mean, I know Lloyd is a free agent after the year, but he's a more valuable player right now and he nets a 6th to TWO first rounders for Palmer? GOD, PALMER IS ******* AWFUL.

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 10:20 AM
I couldn't believe it either, Brod. This is what happens when you let women run your NFL franchise.

Komp
10-18-2011, 10:21 AM
While I think that two 1sts for Carson is way too much (one 1st would have been steep enough), I don't get how everyone is annointing Mike Brown a genius. These two first round picks could very easily be the 2012/13 equivalents of Ki-Jana Carter and Dan Wilkinson.

JBCX
10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
This is the modern-day equivalent of the Herschel Walker trade that Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys pulled off in the 90s.

And we all know what the Cowboys did with all those draft picks in the 90s: they built a dynasty.

Will the same happen with the Bengals? They already have a talented nucleus in place and all of these draft picks will only allow them to build an even better young nucleus.

Brodeur
10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
While I think that two 1sts for Carson is way too much (one 1st would have been steep enough), I don't get how everyone is annointing Mike Brown a genius. These two first round picks could very easily be the 2012/13 equivalents of Ki-Jana Carter and Dan Wilkinson.

They have drafted quite well recently with Dalton/Gresham/Green, so...

ATLDirtyBirds
10-18-2011, 10:23 AM
You know it's bad when Brown comes out like a genius. This is historically bad...

vidae
10-18-2011, 10:24 AM

You're right, but they could also turn out to be AJ Green and Andy Dalton, both who have played well lately.

And tbh, the Bengals have been drafting really well the last few years and the Raiders have been so-so.

BloodBrother
10-18-2011, 10:24 AM
It's not that Brown's a genius, it's just that the Raiders are fools

I still hope they win the division, though

Basileus777
10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Mike Brown pulled off a miracle, but I find it hard to credit him too much for something this improbable, there's no way he could have anticipated the Raiders being this stupid.

Palmer has been on his ass for months and even when he was ready was playing like a later career Drew Bledsoe, he's not even a significant upgrade over Campbell.

SolidGold
10-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Al Davis lives?

fear the elf
10-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Can we all just agree that this all stems from the Cleveland Browns being a forever cursed franchise?

We knock Campbell out of the game causing the panic that ends up strengthening a division rival that we expected to surpass this year (but couldn't even manage that) to the tune of at least 1 (and possibly 2) first round picks.

Oh, and did I mention we still lost the game?

smittyjs
10-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Looking at the raiders I can see why trade for Palmer, but I agree two first round picks is too much. But one wouldn't have been to bad if he can take them to the playoffs. But there really don't have the talent at wr and te to do much for Palmer so idk

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Still better than Palmer at this point for the Bengals.

Jvig43
10-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I thought Al Davis passed away, what is this team thinking? Seriously this might be worse than Kolb for DMC and a second rounder.

Basileus777
10-18-2011, 10:38 AM
I thought Al Davis passed away, what is this team thinking? Seriously this might be worse than Kolb for DMC and a second rounder.

Might be? Kolb is much younger and probably in the same tier of QBs as Palmer.

bantx
10-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Kolb is playing without 5 lineman so it's hard to compare right now

tjsunstein
10-18-2011, 10:44 AM
http://www.lescoob.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/markey_mark_wtf.gif

bearsfan_51
10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
This is ten times worse than the Kolb trade. This is way worse that the Herschel Walker trade.

The only trade I can think of in any sport that is this bad would be Babe Ruth to the Yankees in the 1920s.

EvilNixon
10-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Al Davis wouldn't have made this trade. Total panic move...AND FOR A HORRIBLE PLAYER.

San Diego Chicken
10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Gotta wait and see, honestly. You can't grade a trade involving draft choices on the day of. Cincinatti has to make good on those two draft choices. Remember, Denver had quite the coup when the got two firsts for Cutler, but they ended up squandering the picks and it doesn't look so great in hindsight. The Walker trade wouldn't be looked at in the same light if all those young players Dallas drafted hadn't panned out.

killxswitch
10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't usually care enough about the Bengals to think this through but now I'm curious. Let's look at the notables on their roster.

QB - Andy Dalton - looks like a great pick, QB of the future

RB - Benson, Scott, Leonard, Peerman - nothing special, good enough with a good line blocking for them.

WR - AJ Green, Jerome Simpson, Andre Caldwell, Brandon Tate - Green looks like a #1 WR for a decade, Simpson is already has the best numbers of his career. Could probably use a better #2 but this is not a bad WR corps.

TE - Gresham - Looks promising and is improving steadily.

OL - Whitworth, Livings, Cook, Boling, Andre Smith - underrated OL, they handled Freeney and Mathis pretty well last weekend. Whitworth getting older, might want to use one of those 1sts on some depth?

DE - Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, Frostee Rucker, Robert Geathers - great rotation here with good pass rushing potential. What happened to Dunlap though?

DT - Peko, Atkins, Sims, Fanene - what a great 4-3 DT rotation. I am jealous.

LB - Lawson, Maualuga, Howard - playmaker (you'd think so anyway), thumper, and coverage LB. Solid. And they'll hopefully get Rivers back after the bye which just improves things that much more.

CB - Leon Hall, Nate Clements - they could probably use an upgrade/replacement for Clements. If only they'd kept Joseph.

S - Crocker, Nelson, Mays, Gibril Wilson - good depth here but I wonder if they'd target somebody like Mark Barron to bolster this group.

Overall this is a surprisingly good roster! Those two extra picks have to be exciting for Bengals fans.

WMD
10-18-2011, 10:49 AM
What the fudge?

JBCX
10-18-2011, 10:50 AM
If they add a solid CB (1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick) to pair opposite Hall, and a stud RB (with one of the high 1st round picks) I could see this being a really strong roster.

Dunlap is beasting, btw. He's one of the best 4-3 DEs this year according to Profootballfocus.com

bantx
10-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Kolb is playing without 5 lineman so it's hard to compare right now

killxswitch
If they add a solid CB (1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick) to pair opposite Hall, and a stud RB (with one of the high 1st round picks) I could see this being a really strong roster.

Dunlap is beasting, btw. He's one of the best 4-3 DEs this year according to Profootballfocus.com

I'm just surprised he has zero sacks this far into the season, after 9.5 last year. I know stats don't tell the whole story, I haven't watched much of the Bengals this year.

EvilNixon
This is where you come to realize that Al Davis may have not been the worst thing for the Raiders. . . Whomever is running football operations now is much worse.

He was never making all the decisions. He was just the scapegoat.

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 10:53 AM
You forgot about Jordan Shipleyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

boknows34
10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
http://i54.twitgoo.com/2ewmza1.png

killxswitch
10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
He's on IR but you're right I shouldn't have forgotten Shipleyzzz.

tjsunstein
10-18-2011, 10:57 AM
What a terrible ******* trade.

Leon Sandcastle
10-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Jesus! It's like the Raiders organization wanted to prove that ineptness didn't die with Al Davis.

They're really honoring his legacy.

bantx
10-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Ok so I'm arguing with a guy on facebook and he claims that Carson Palmer is a top 10 QB and the trade was worth it.

Palmer is a top ten qb

Actually he jus won tha afc north tha yr b4 which is a tough thing to do ne yr especially wit tha ravens and tha steelers in tha division and 32 aint super old to qbs and tha raiders are young as fuk already so two future players aint gone make or break them, they can get a star in any round like tom brady got picked in tha 6th round, plus they have no qb since cambell went down so its a smart move wit dem bn playoff contenders now... Where yo facts at??

I've already replied but I will facepalm and probably hurt myself if i had to continue arguing with him

Leon Sandcastle
10-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Ravens and Steelers get overtaken by the Bengals in T minus 2 years.

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 11:03 AM
You need to murder that person.

tjsunstein
10-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm waiting for that status to pop up on my news feed for the LOLs.

killxswitch
10-18-2011, 11:08 AM
bantx you should defriend that oxygen thief.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I love that the reaction is so over the top negative. As it should be. There always seems to be that one guy who argues the opposite way just for the sake of arguing. The fact that he hasn't shown up yet should tell you that this is one of the worst moves of all time.

49erNation85
10-18-2011, 11:12 AM
The worst trad ever.OKA is dumb as nails why would they give up two first rounds picks?Palmer ain't that good any more.There had to be better QB in FA for less of a price.Dam OKA you suck I hope you start Pyror instead and fail hard you morons.

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
I love that the reaction is so over the top negative. As it should be. There always seems to be that one guy who argues the opposite way just for the sake of arguing. The fact that he hasn't shown up yet should tell you that this is one of the worst moves of all time.

There isn't even a single person trying to somehow reason it, let alone praise it. It's THAT bad.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 11:14 AM
2 1st round picks for the Bengals by giving up Carson Palmer?

And I thought the Eagles raped the Cardinals in there deal this offseason.

49erNation85
10-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Bucfan12, this is like 100million x worse then the Kolb and Kolb is better IMO lol.

_YL_
People said the same thing about Seymour and that didn't turn out to bad. Price is very pricey. Ill let his play determine how this trade looks and if I'm not mistaking once the Bengals stopped playing Chad and T.O
He played a lot better plus he will have a amazing running game and a offense line. Let the man play before the hate starts.

EvilNixon
If Carson can get Darrius the ball, we'll be ok....but we so overpaid that he'll be over scrutinized. He's not even an upgrade over Campbell...for Christ's sake.

EvilNixon
10-18-2011, 11:18 AM
People said the same thing about Seymour and that didn't turn out to bad. Price is very pricey. Ill let his play determine how this trade looks and if I'm not mistaking once the Bengals stopped playing Chad and T.O
He played a lot better plus he will have a amazing running game and a offense line. Let the man play before the hate starts.

When Al traded for Seymour, he was in his prime. Carson hasn't been any good since 2005...and his arm has been shot since 08..

killxswitch
10-18-2011, 11:18 AM
There isn't even a single person trying to somehow reason it, let alone praise it. It's THAT bad.

I probably like Carson Palmer more than 90% of this board, maybe more. But this was an unbearably bad trade.

Are the Raiders on the hook for the remaining portion of his salary this year too? Wasn't he due something ridiculous like $14 million?

BandwagonPunditry
10-18-2011, 11:21 AM
You know when you've got a sweet fantasy league set up and the newbie makes that trade and ruins it for everyone?

This is kind of like that.

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 11:23 AM
I probably like Carson Palmer more than 90% of this board, maybe more. But this was an unbearably bad trade.

Are the Raiders on the hook for the remaining portion of his salary this year too? Wasn't he due something ridiculous like $14 million?

I think he re-structured to where the Raiders will only pay $6M

soybean
10-18-2011, 11:24 AM
What's the condition for the 2013 first?

Could be anything.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 11:25 AM
What's the condition for the 2013 first?

Could be anything.

Here's the thing, even if he doesn't meet that condition, it's still a 2nd.

A 1st and 2nd alone would still make this a terrible, terrible trade.

Complex
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Maybe he will fail his physical so the Raiders can void the trade at the last minute

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
You don;t trade 2 1st round picks for a QB whos 32 years old and is on the downside of his career.

I mean, this is a price you would make a trade for Tom Brady. Not Carson Palmer.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Honestly, I thought the Bengals would win if they got a 3rd rounder for him.

Obviously I forgot about the Raiders stupidity.

SolidGold
10-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Brown comes off looking very good with this trade. Its quite a feat for such a historically inept franchise. I really thought the most anyone would offer for Palmer was a 3rd round pick and that was even stretching it.

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 11:29 AM
I hate Kyle Orton more than anyone else on this board and even I think it would have been smarter to give Denver a third for Orton rather than two firsts for Palmer.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Possible justifications of this trade for the Raiders:

1.) Their most recent tape on Palmer was from 2005.

2.) They thought Andy Dalton was Carson Palmer.

3.) Massive typo on the trade agreement.

4.) Hue Jackson owed whole lot to the Brown family.

5.) ...?

RaiderNation
10-18-2011, 11:33 AM
If it were just 1st then I might not be too mad, but 2?!?!?!?

_YL_
10-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Next year pick is only a first round if Oakland wins a playoff game this year.

SolidGold
10-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I just read a Doug Farrar article on the trade and he did mention the Raiders will get comp picks for Gallery, Nmadi and Zach Miller. It may lessen the blow a little but not alot.

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Possible justifications of this trade for the Raiders:

1.) Their most recent tape on Palmer was from 2005.

2.) They thought Andy Dalton was Carson Palmer.

3.) Massive typo on the trade agreement.

4.) Hue Jackson owed whole lot to the Brown family.

5.) ...?

6.) A woman has power in the Raiders front office which explains this mess. Not justification by any means, but we see how this could happen.

vidae
10-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Next year pick is only a first round if Oakland wins a playoff game this year.

You're still giving up a second on top of a first though. A third would have been pushing it, and you're giving up two picks HIGHER than that. You can't justify this at all.

Xonraider
10-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Oh God, I just hope it's really worth it. At least we have the best QB we could have gotten of the ones that were mentioned, imo.

BeerBaron
Oh, it would only be a first and second? Well that makes it ok.

Wait, NO IT DOES ******* NOT MAKE IT OK.

ONE second rounder alone would have been a little too much in my mind. That would only be a first on top of that....yanno...

DanZilla
Wooooow, I don't even think al Davis himself would approve if he were still alive

Donno
10-18-2011, 11:39 AM
**** man we gave up waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much for him, we got way more important holes we have to fill ****. **** you Mike Brown!!!! How could we stoop to his level? **** for not much more we could have gotten Brady!!!!

bantx
10-18-2011, 11:39 AM

I think most of us are more suprised about what the Raiders gave up, and then it doesnt help that Carson Palmer is 32 and on the decline and you know sucks.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 11:41 AM
**** man we gave up waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much for him, we got way more important holes we have to fill ****. **** you Mike Brown!!!! How could we stoop to his level? **** for not much more we could have gotten Brady!!!!

It's possible that if you offered this to the Pats, Belichick would have handed you Brady while laughing maniacally. He'd take your firsts, plug in Hoyer and just keep right on trucking.

He's probably grown weary of beating the dead horse that is the Raiders though.

Complex
10-18-2011, 11:42 AM
They were looking at Vince Young according profootballtalk.com

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 11:43 AM

Vince Young for what the Raiders gave up would be slightly less terrible. He's at least younger and justz winzz gamezzzz.

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2011, 11:43 AM

If Palmer trade broke down, this was their next option, yup.

And BeerBaron seems to really be taking this trade personally for some reason, lol.

Donno
10-18-2011, 11:44 AM
It's possible that if you offered this to the Pats, Belichick would have handed you Brady while laughing maniacally. He'd take your firsts, plug in Hoyer and just keep right on trucking.

He's probably grown weary of beating the dead horse that is the Raiders though.

For real tho, the Patriots just constantly rape us of draft picks and laugh from the playoffs.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Ever since Carson Palmers elbow surgery, he's been medicore.

So, now the Raiders don't have a 1st, 2nd, nor 3rd round pick in the 2012 draft.

Giving up a 1st rounder for a QB like Palmer, you need to get atleast 5 years of quality play. Yet, they gave up 2.

And now tell me, did the Raiders just waste a 3rd rounder on Terrell Pryor just to let him sit there.

This was supposed to be a team on the up. Giving away 2 HIGH draft picks for a medicore QB that won't be around for about what, 2 years at best, just set there franchise back. They screwed themselves when it came to adding talent.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 11:45 AM
If Palmer trade broke down, this was their next option, yup.

And BeerBaron seems to really be taking this trade personally for some reason, lol.

I'm against stupidity in all of it's forms.

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Ever since Carson Palmers elbow surgery, he's been medicore.

So, now the Raiders don't have a 1st, 2nd, nor 3rd round pick in the 2012 draft.

Giving up a 1st rounder for a QB like Palmer, you need to get atleast 5 years of quality play. Yet, they gave up 2.

And now tell me, did the Raiders just waste a 3rd rounder on Terrell Pryor just to let him sit there.

This was supposed to be a team on the up. Giving away 2 HIGH draft picks for a medicore QB that won't be around for about what, 2 years at best, just set there franchise back. They screwed themselves when it came to adding talent.

More than likely, the Raiders will have a 3rd and a 5th comp picks, maybe 3rd, 4th, and 5th when all is said and done.

Complex
10-18-2011, 11:46 AM
They should put a ad up that said willing to trade 2 1st rounders for a QB. I bet they could of gotten a better QB.

FUNBUNCHER
10-18-2011, 11:48 AM
http://www.raidersgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/davis.jpg

Good times.

Draft picks are for chumps.

no bare feet
10-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Trent Green v 2.0 ? Anyone ? Anyone ? wait Trent had his troubles after being concussed vs. the Bengals.

Xonraider
10-18-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm starting to think maybe no one in the Raiders really knew anything about scouting or the draft, so they went like ''uh, let's get rid of these 'draft picks', never heard of em lol''

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 11:49 AM
More than likely, the Raiders will have a 3rd and a 5th comp picks, maybe 3rd, 4th, and 5th when all is said and done.

STill though. They absolutely failed to realize they could have a top talent and younger player in rounds 1 and 2.

And how do you know for sure they'll have those comp picks. They might get a 3rd for Nmadi, but that's what, going to the 98th selection overall when they 1st make there selection?

And they'll probably get a 7th for Gallary. They won't get a high Comp. pick unless those guys go to the pro bowl. Sure, contract status plays into comp. picks, but so does performance.

A Perfect Score
10-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Dear sweet baby zombie Jesus...Is it possible that Al Davis really was the sane one in that FO all along?

This is just...there are literally no words for this level of idiocy. It's beyond comprehension. I'm not entirely convinced Carson Palmer is a better QB at this point then Kyle Boller. I'd probably take my chances with Boller, to be entirely honest. I've no qualms in saying that 99% of this board could run the Raiders better, and I'm a firm believer that 90% of this board are ********. The rest of you know who you are!

Shane P. Hallam
STill though. They absolutely failed to realize they could have a top talent and younger player in rounds 1 and 2.

And how do you know for sure they'll have those comp picks. They might get a 3rd for Nmadi, but that's what, going to the 98th selection overall when they 1st make there selection?

And they'll probably get a 7th for Gallary. They won't get a high Comp. pick unless those guys go to the pro bowl. Sure, contract status plays into comp. picks, but so does performance.

Contract status accounts for 80%, thus depending on how much they get off for Boss, they will get 2 to 3 midround picks. Someone out there has already done the math.

bucfan12
When the Raiders offered 2 1st round picks, Mike Brown either

A) Peed himself because he couldn't believe what happened.

b) Laughed at that proposal because no team is that stupid

C) fainted because they were actually stupid

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2011, 11:52 AM
. I'd probably take my chances with Boller, to be entirely honest.

Didn't you say that when the Ravens drafted Flacco?

:D

_YL_
10-18-2011, 11:52 AM
You're still giving up a second on top of a first though. A third would have been pushing it, and you're giving up two picks HIGHER than that. You can't justify this at all.

I'm not trying to justify it I was just saying.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Contract status accounts for 80%, thus depending on how much they get off for Boss, they will get 2 to 3 midround picks. Someone out there has already done the math.

Well, lets say this. If's it's 80%, then how come the Bucs got a 7th round comp. pick when Antonio Bryant signed for 8 million a year with Cincy?

That should have warrented a 5th round pick min. there then huh?

Still, the Raiders won't be picking until the 98th overall selection come draft day. Way to really continue to build a young and talented roster.

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Well, lets say this. If's it's 80%, then how come the Bucs got a 7th round comp. pick when Antonio Bryant signed for 8 million a year with Cincy?

That should have warrented a 5th round pick min. there then huh?

Still, the Raiders won't be picking until the 98th overall selection come draft day. Way to really continue to build a young and talented roster.

Because it counted as Bryant's injury settlement, not original contract.

Xonraider
10-18-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm starting to feel worse than I felt when I originally read the news. Thank you SWDC (especially BeerBaron lol)

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Still don't pick until the late 90's. Sad.

bantx
10-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Maybe Al had a list of stuff that he specifically wanted to get done or what to do if **** got real plan in his will.

LonghornsLegend
10-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Anybody have any guesses on where negotiations started out for this?

How the **** do you end up at two 1st rders? Makes me think they could have gotten two 1st and a 3rd if Oak was going to pay at any cost to get him.

A Perfect Score
10-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Didn't you say that when the Ravens drafted Flacco?

:D

I sure did, and trust me, even that statement wasn't as ridiculous as what the Raiders just pulled off. This will go down as one of the worst trades in the history of the NFL, especially if it eventually does work out to two first rounders. There's a good chance they could have had a shot at RGIII or Landry Jones in the upcoming draft...Hell, give those two first rounders to whoever gets #1 overall and take Luck. Trade up for Barkley. Sign Jake Delhomme. All of these are much, much, much better options then what actually just happened. I honestly can't wrap my head around it. It seems too stupid even for the Raiders.

Rob S
10-18-2011, 12:02 PM
I am suppsoed to be studying for an asset management midterm right now, but I am too busy laughing at the Raiders. It's so worth it.

tjsunstein
10-18-2011, 12:03 PM
I can't even laugh at this trade because of how dumb it was.

The Raiders should have looked into Matt Flynn.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 12:03 PM
I sure did, and trust me, even that statement wasn't as ridiculous as what the Raiders just pulled off. This will go down as one of the worst trades in the history of the NFL, especially if it eventually does work out to two first rounders. There's a good chance they could have had a shot at RGIII or Landry Jones in the upcoming draft...Hell, give those two first rounders to whoever gets #1 overall and take Luck. Trade up for Barkley. Sign Jake Delhomme. All of these are much, much, much better options then what actually just happened. I honestly can't wrap my head around it. It seems too stupid even for the Raiders.

I want to make a joke sooo bad right now...but I can't, because it actually would have been better to do that.

A Perfect Score
10-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I want to make a joke sooo bad right now...but I can't, because it actually would have been better to do that.

Exactly. Think about that. Think about how ridiculous that sounds, and then try and tell me it still isn't better then what they just did. Trying to understand this trade is making my head hurt.

Complex
10-18-2011, 12:05 PM
They should of traded for Vince Young, he can throw the deep.

killxswitch
10-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Has it come out yet who ultimately signed off on the Raiders' side for this trade?

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Exactly. Think about that. Think about how ridiculous that sounds, and then try and tell me it still isn't better then what they just did. Trying to understand this trade is making my head hurt.

I would honestly have just went with Boller and Pryor as the backup. That team isn't based on the passing game. They could have kept afloat until Campbell came back, which would be in about 6 weeks.

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 12:13 PM
They shoulda just gone with Jeff George. If anything, i'm sure he coulda just chucked it deep to DHB

JoeJoeBrown
10-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Everyone is overreacting. I am no Palmer fan, but he is above average and will help the Raiders make the playoffs.

They have a good defense, great special teams, and a great running game. Palmer needs to be a manager, not a savior.

The Bungles get some great picks. Obviously they win in the deal, as they were just going to sit on Palmer and force him to retire anyways. But Hue isn't an idiot. Coaches only get 2-3 years to succeed, and he will mortgage the future if it means a shot at the playoffs. Once you are in the playoffs, it's a brand new season, and with the qualities that I outlined above, they have a decent shot at doing well in them.

Defense, Special Teams, and a Running Game will win you a Super Bowl.

bantx
10-18-2011, 12:15 PM
So you think 2 1st round picks is worth it?

Monomach
10-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Poor, poor Raider fans.

Jesus, that's bad.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Everyone is overreacting. I am no Palmer fan, but he is above average and will help the Raiders make the playoffs.

They have a good defense, great special teams, and a great running game. Palmer needs to be a manager, not a savior.

The Bungles get some great picks. Obviously they win in the deal, as they were just going to sit on Palmer and force him to retire anyways. But Hue isn't an idiot. Coaches only get 2-3 years to succeed, and he will mortgage the future if it means a shot at the playoffs. Once you are in the playoffs, it's a brand new season, and with the qualities that I outlined above, they have a decent shot at doing well in them.

Defense, Special Teams, and a Running Game will win you a Super Bowl.

He's not above average. He's not even "manager" material, he threw 20 picks and fumbled 7 times last season. Managers are supposed to minimize turnovers.

They could have gotten what they will get in Palmer for much, much less. That is the problem everyone is having right now. They could have found an actual "manager" for a fraction of the price.

Xonraider
10-18-2011, 12:19 PM
I would honestly have just went with Boller and Pryor as the backup. That team isn't based on the passing game. They could have kept afloat until Campbell came back, which would be in about 6 weeks.

I think at this point its unrealistic to think Jason will come back in 6 weeks. Otherwise they probably wouldn't have made this trade. And going with Boller probably was not a better option than Palmer. We did overpay but hey, Gannon was also considered washed up and when they gave him a shot in Oakland he succeeded. He even won an MVP at the age of 37. I know we overpayed, but I want to atleast give Palmer a chance.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 12:21 PM
I think at this point its unrealistic to think Jason will come back in 6 weeks. Otherwise they probably wouldn't have made this trade. And going with Boller probably was not a better option than Palmer. We did overpay but hey, Gannon was also considered washed up and when they gave him a shot in Oakland he succeeded. He even won an MVP at the age of 37. I know we overpayed, but I want to atleast give Palmer a chance.

What did you trade for Gannon? Nothing? You signed him as a free agent?

If you wanted a cheap reclamation project, you could have just went with Boller. Or signed Jake Delhomme. He was kind of good like 5-6 years ago too...and wouldn't have cost potentially two first round picks.

For this trade to be considered anything close to a "success" Palmer needs to win about 3 MVPs and multiple Superbowls.

BloodBrother
10-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Bengals are geniuses. Palmer hasn't played a snap of football in nearly a year that the Raiders must have forgotten what he looked like on the field