PDA

View Full Version : Justin Blackmon vs. Alshon Jeffrey

killxswitch
10-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Blackmon: 6'1, 215 lbs, 53 RECs for 608 yards and 7 TDs this season.

Jeffrey: 6'4, 229 lbs, 30 RECs for 451 yards and 5 TDs this season.

Discuss.

DraftSavant
10-17-2011, 03:47 PM
229? Being awfully nice with Alshon's listed weight. He looks like he's about 260.

http://www.frumpzilla.com/image_gallery/Alshon-Jeffrey-Is-Fat.jpg
http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/blog/assets_c/2011/08/Sporting%20News%20Jeffery%20Lattimore-thumb-560x480-16276.jpg
http://friendsoftheprogram.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/sicover.jpg

soybean
10-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Is it me or does he look fat as s*** in that first pic?

ATLDirtyBirds
10-17-2011, 03:55 PM
He looks a fat ass in all of them.

JFINK11
10-17-2011, 04:06 PM
this is a mute point about his body because all of these pictures will be forgotten if hes chiseled at the scouting combine

Da Big Harv
10-17-2011, 04:07 PM
There is rumors around South Carolina boards that Ashlon never lifted a weight in his life before his freshman year at USCjr

Not sure how much truth there is to that tho

FUNBUNCHER
10-17-2011, 04:11 PM
OMG!!

Biggest shock to me of the college football season was seeing these pics of Jeffrey.

NFL scouts IMO will let a LB, TE or Olineman slide with that physique, but hell no for a WR.

After the Mike Williams fiasco in Detroit, I think most teams would run as far away as possible from WRs with 'weight problems'.

Damn that man is F-A-T!!!!lol

But what if he's the Charles Barkley of WRs....his body type is not indicative of his play??

Will really be interesting to see how the draft process plays out for Jeffrey.

sbh15
10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
if alshon gets more cut, i feel like he'll be very similar, physically at least, to vincent jackson

thegreatone
10-17-2011, 04:50 PM
I think Blackmon wins this pretty easily.

Especially after those pics.

killxswitch
10-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Lots of people were saying it was Jeffrey at the beginning of the year. Never knew what that was about. Blackmon would've been a top receiver last year if he'd declared.

fenikz
10-17-2011, 06:35 PM
2 weeks of Jeffery playing well/not having garcia at qb, has already caught him up to Blackmon in a pass happy offense

BRAVEHEART
10-17-2011, 06:40 PM
He aint 6'4 though.

bucfan12
10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Michael Floyd will be better than both. Just wait and see

thegreatone
10-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Michael Floyd will be better than both. Just wait and see
I definitely agree with this.

I have ranked as the #1 WR.

4U2NV
10-18-2011, 01:05 AM
I like Jeffery but he scares me as a prospect. He looks slow and seems to get caught from behind a lot. If he's not able to get separation at the NFL level he's not going to be successful IMO. His jump ball skills are incredible and the TD he scored this past Saturday looked like Calvin Johnson but there's just too many question marks for me right now.

Blackmon might not be as big but he looks so smooth out there and makes plays all the time (his horrible fumble against A&M notwithstanding). I think Blackmon is the harder worker of the two, no real analysis behind that theory, just my gut.

The pre-draft scouting is going to say a lot, if Jeffery runs well in the 40 and tests well in other areas the debate continues, but as it stands today I'd take Blackmon if I was a GM.

BRAVEHEART
10-18-2011, 01:10 AM
I like Jeffery but he scares me as a prospect. He looks slow and seems to get caught from behind a lot. If he's not able to get separation at the NFL level he's not going to be successful IMO. His jump ball skills are incredible and the TD he scored this past Saturday looked like Calvin Johnson but there's just too many question marks for me right now.

Blackmon might not be as big but he looks so smooth out there and makes plays all the time (his horrible fumble against A&M notwithstanding). I think Blackmon is the harder worker of the two, no real analysis behind that theory, just my gut.

The pre-draft scouting is going to say a lot, if Jeffery runs well in the 40 and tests well in other areas the debate continues, but as it stands today I'd take Blackmon if I was a GM.

Just his gut.

M.O.T.H.
10-18-2011, 01:59 AM
Alshon has def. trimmed up a bit since those SI pics. But his conditioning was certainly in question earlier in the year, he did need to take a few plays off throughout the first few weeks. Looked winded often.

Ummm....hate to say it, but he hasnt been getting the greatest separation this season. Having Garcia has hurt his statistics, but the fact remains that he just isnt beating guys as consistently as he was last year. He can beat anyone who opposes him for a jump ball, but he's been a couple steps slow this year. He really does need to put in a lot more work in the off-seasons. At his best, I think he's the nations best receiver by far, but I'll be the first to admit that his conditioning and off-season work ethic are real question marks moving forward.

TitansCJftw
10-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Alshon has def. trimmed up a bit since those SI pics. But his conditioning was certainly in question earlier in the year, he did need to take a few plays off throughout the first few weeks. Looked winded often.

Ummm....hate to say it, but he hasnt been getting the greatest separation this season. Having Garcia has hurt his statistics, but the fact remains that he just isnt beating guys as consistently as he was last year. He can beat anyone who opposes him for a jump ball, but he's been a couple steps slow this year. He really does need to put in a lot more work in the off-seasons. At his best, I think he's the nations best receiver by far, but I'll be the first to admit that his conditioning and off-season work ethic are real question marks moving forward.

i see all the sc games i live in nc... hello mike williams(usc) 2.0 it is what it is

BRAVEHEART
10-18-2011, 02:12 AM
i see all the sc games i live in nc... hello mike williams(usc) 2.0 it is what it is

Except BMW didn't have weight problems until after he left USC, and was held out of football for a year (tried to enter the NFL as a true soph with Clarrett). smh

Alshon is already there.

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 03:37 AM
I've been comparing Alshon to BMW for a while now. Seems like he's a bust waiting to happen, doesn't seem to feel the need to put in any kind of work to hone his craft. These are all question marks that i'm sure will be brought up to his attention, if they haven't already. If he shows up at the combine or at his pro-day looking overweight, i think he'll see a huge drop off in his draft stock. The guy is a great talent, but if he isn't doing it now that he's auditioning for his career in the NFL, what assures me he will want to work when he's making boat loads of money before he even puts a jersey on as a pro?

prock
10-18-2011, 03:45 AM
It's pretty obviously Blackmon. I think Floyd is better than Jeffry too. He is a bust waiting to happen.

FUNBUNCHER
10-18-2011, 08:51 AM
WRs and DBs are expected to be the top conditioned athletes on any football team, and their physiques reflect that.

Vincent Jackson is ripped. Megatron is ripped. All the big NFL WRs are specimens and can run all day.

I still wouldn't draft Jeffrey high even if he 'gets in shape' for the draft because in my mind it would be a total con job.

Now I know why Jeffrey wears those loose fitting jerseys for the Gamecocks. They don't cling to that kegger he's toting under his man boobs.lol

By far Blackmon is the safer pick and I can't see Jeffrey right now picked anywhere until around the 4th round.

Bet he doesn't run the 40 at the combine either and has an 'injury' at SC's pro day.

I just don't get it. Jeffrey was a revelation in 2010 for the Gamecocks and at times looked like the best offensive player in the SEC. But I've never seen a fat WR do anything major in the NFL.

killxswitch
10-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Golden Tate was a little chub of a WR and still got picked in the 2nd. I really doubt Jeffrey falls anywhere near the 4th.

descendency
10-18-2011, 09:48 AM
229? Being awfully nice with Alshon's listed weight. He looks like he's about 260.

That's because he looks 200 on the field. That gut adds the 30 lbs.

GatorsBullsFan
10-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Jeffery or Blackmon will be getting thrown to by the guy in my sig

DraftSavant
10-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Golden Tate was a little chub of a WR and still got picked in the 2nd. I really doubt Jeffrey falls anywhere near the 4th.

And Golden Tate absolutely sucks. So I'm not sure that really helps his case.

killxswitch
10-18-2011, 11:07 AM
And Golden Tate absolutely sucks. So I'm not sure that really helps his case.

I agree, he's not good. Just saying it is proof that a team will not completely avoid a player if they think they can keep him in shape.

The Ravens don't appear to regret drafting Mount Cody. They have the staff and culture to keep him accountable.

DraftSavant
10-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I agree, he's not good. Just saying it is proof that a team will not completely avoid a player if they think they can keep him in shape.

The Ravens don't appear to regret drafting Mount Cody. They have the staff and culture to keep him accountable.

Point taken.

I never thought Cody has work ethic concerns, though, as he lost close to 100 lbs over the course of his career at Alabama.

killxswitch
10-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Point taken.

I never thought Cody has work ethic concerns, though, as he lost close to 100 lbs over the course of his career at Alabama.

I thought he would be fine too as long as he didn't go to a team like the Raiders. But that was not a common mindset going into that draft.

FUNBUNCHER
10-18-2011, 11:29 AM
If Golden Tate was chubby, Jeffrey is Fat Albert.

http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/tate.jpg

BTW can a Seattle fan give a head's up about what's happened to Tate?? I thought he just hadn't mastered route running yet since he hardly ever did it at ND.

Alshon Jeffery just looks like a different human being in pads.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/thetandd.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/3f/b3f1150c-149d-11e0-a826-001cc4c03286/4d1d68267fcc2.image.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0316/ncf_u_jeffery_ps_300.jpg

marshallb
10-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Tate's "chubbiness" had nothing to do with his size or body shape, it was the fact that he had an insanely high body fat %(IIRC, it was something like 17%, which is ridiculous for an NFL caliber WR).

EDIT: Anyways, as for my take, give me Blackmon. He's just so much smoother, and right now I have Floyd and Jeffery pretty much dead even.

murdamal86
10-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Blackmon w/o even thinking about it. I just want one of them in Jacksonville

ShutDwn
10-18-2011, 12:36 PM
I swear, if the Panthers even think about drafting Alshon I will be pissed. I don't care what his upside is, I don't want to risk watching a fatter version of Dwayne Jarrett.

Give me Blackmon every day.

Iamcanadian
10-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Blackmon by a considerable margin. I fully expect Jeffery to fall in the post season when he works out. Scouts and GM's will already be very suspicious of him because he plays WR for a Spurrier coached team and Spurrier has seen most of his WR's flop as pros.
I'll be shocked if Jeffery even sees round 1. Scouts and GM's take past history of a coaches success at a position very seriously. Not saying he won't prove them wrong as was the case with a Tedford QB named Rodgers but the odds are against him.

A Perfect Score
10-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Alshon may look big in those pictures, but put on the tape for exactly one minute and you can tell he's a player. He may not have the physique right now, but he's an absolute beast on the field. That's something you can't take away from him.

Honestly, I love all three of the big receivers this year. I was huge on Floyd and Blackmon last year (I had both rated ahead of Julio), and I'd venture to say I still like them both more as prospects. Floyd is straight up nasty and his ability to extend towards the ball and use his body to shield DB's is as good as I've seen since I started scouting prospects way back in '05. He's a nasty, nasty blocker too. Not a huge selling point for a WR, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Blackmon, again, is an absolute monster. Runs great routes, physical, nice catch radius...He's going to go Top 15 and he absolutely deserves to.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 01:54 PM
I'll say it again: Michael Floyd is the best WR in this class. Who ever drafts these two guys over him will regret it.

He's got High, strength, and can dominate and tower over DBs. He may not be a burner, but will run in the 4.45-4.52 range in the 40. He uses his physicality as an advantage and is a redzone target and a deep threat as well. Going to be a true number 1.

killxswitch
10-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Biggest questionmark about Floyd to me is health. He might be the best cross section of talent and effort but will he stay healthy?

A Perfect Score
10-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Biggest questionmark about Floyd to me is health. He might be the best cross section of talent and effort but will he stay healthy?

It's really quite hard to predict. I get a little uncomfortable whenever anyone gets tagged with the title "injury prone", as injuries are something that are notoriously hard to analyze. For me, there's a big difference between a guy who gets nicked up and refuses to play through the minor things and a guy who just gets unlucky and suffers a few serious injuries in college. From what I can tell, Floyd is the latter. I've never read anything about his demeanor being questioned and from what I can tell, all the injuries he's suffered in college seem to be legitimate and stuff he couldn't have played through. Of course, I'm not in the training room and I don't know for sure, but it's interesting you bring it up because it's something I generally struggle with when I'm scouting.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Example: Tom Brady gets knicked up and tore his ACL. He's never been considered injury prone.

Plus, all football players get knicked up. It's part of the physical sport. Teams just do a better job at disclosing injuries.

ellsy82
10-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Still gonna go with Blackmon.

Heisman
10-19-2011, 01:30 AM
I'll take Blackmon every time. He as amazing production and everything seems to be there; by all accounts he is a hard worker and definitely has the tools to succeed.

It seems like the main asset of Jeffrey is that he is big. He can outjump DB's because he is gargantuan. But there doesn't seem to be a whole lot more, which scares me. Just a big body who doesn't always create separation. He is the type of prospect teams better be extremely careful about.

Cigaro
10-19-2011, 01:38 AM
There is rumors around South Carolina boards that Ashlon never lifted a weight in his life before his freshman year at USCjr

Not sure how much truth there is to that tho

I've been on South Carolina boards for years, and live in South Carolina, and I've never heard that. Pretty sure that's a nicely-sized load of BS. I'm not sure why it'd even be considered plausible that a highly-touted HS prospect never spent a single minute in the gym, when every HS team requires it anyways.

Saying that, having seen Jeffery out of pads in normal clothes, he definitely does have a gut. However, it has yet to affect him on the field. He's shown both great speed and strength on the field.

Er6FGmmGvho

bucfan12
10-19-2011, 02:52 AM
I've been on South Carolina boards for years, and live in South Carolina, and I've never heard that. Pretty sure that's a nicely-sized load of BS. I'm not sure why it'd even be considered plausible that a highly-touted HS prospect never spent a single minute in the gym, when every HS team requires it anyways.

Saying that, having seen Jeffery out of pads in normal clothes, he definitely does have a gut. However, it has yet to affect him on the field. He's shown both great speed and strength on the field.

Er6FGmmGvho

He doesn't really look like he's in great shape to be honest. WRs, especially NFL WRs are usually more cut. He looks flabby, in the mid section and in the arms. Seems to me that maybe he works out, but he doesn't work hard enough.

TheSlinger
11-02-2011, 03:19 AM
Fun with numbers:

Through 8 games this year, Alshon Jeffery has 33 catches, 468 yards (14.2 YPC) and 5 TD

Through 8 games last year, he had 52 catches for 935 yards (18.0 YPC) and 7 TD.

Jeffery's highest yardage total this year is 95 yards. Last year, that would've ranked as his 11th best total.

Jeffery's lowest total last year, in 4 games, was 36 yards. In his 8 games this year he already has FOUR games worse than that.

Jeffery is out of shape and it's turned him into a shadow of what he used to be.

bucfan12
11-02-2011, 07:29 AM
If Jeffery hits a gym and maximizes his potential, he could be a stud in the NFL. Right now, he looks flabby, which to me thinks, he's a slacker in the offseason when it comes to conditioning, weight training, endurance, and possibly poor work ethic.

murdamal86
11-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Fun with numbers:

Through 8 games this year, Alshon Jeffery has 33 catches, 468 yards (14.2 YPC) and 5 TD

Jeffery's highest yardage total this year is 95 yards. Last year, that would've ranked as his 11th best total.

Jeffery's lowest total last year, in 4 games, was 36 yards. In his 8 games this year he already has FOUR games worse than that.

Jeffery is out of shape and it's turned him into a shadow of what he used to be.

I mean he is being handicapped by the QB's he's had this season also

ElectricEye
11-02-2011, 10:03 AM
To be honest, I've really soured on both of them this year.

I was never the biggest Blackmon guy in the world, but I liked Jeffrey quite a bit coming into this year. Jeffrey clearly has had some issues with conditioning and staying in shape, but he's also had a downright horrible quarterback situation and it's hard to tell how much of his production dropoff is from that and how much of it falls on him. There's clearly a lot of the latter going on, but the former well could be the bigger factor in all of this. If Stephen Garcia had his **** together, it really could be a different story.

Blackmon consistently made big plays last year and looked like a guy who could stretch the field in addition to make plays after the catch. This year, it's a bit of a different story. He's had only 2 plays that resulted in 30+ yard gains(he had one or two basically every week last season, most of them in excess of 40+), with one coming against Louisiana-Lafayette and the other coming against Baylor, neither of whom have world beaters in the secondary. Otherwise, teams have been able to limit the damage he's been able to do to them. Those types of plays have gone away for the entire Oklahoma State offense, so some of it might be less aggressive playcalling and teams are defiantly doubling him more, but I'm still not sure Blackmon is the type of guy who will due damage down the field in the NFL. He gets big time yardage after the catch and that's an asset for sure...but you'll see a lot of that disappear with guys who are uniformly bigger, faster, and stronger in the NFL.

So yeah, I really don't see either of them as guys you look to pick as receivers in the top half of the first round. Blackmon is an incredibly safe bet to turn out to be a number one wide receiver who you can complete a high percentage of passes to, but the lack of a down the field game just kind of limits his value to me a bit. It entirely depends on what you value in a receiver though...and some teams may look past that.

DraftSavant
11-02-2011, 11:18 AM
To be honest, I've really soured on both of them this year.

I was never the biggest Blackmon guy in the world, but I liked Jeffrey quite a bit coming into this year. Jeffrey clearly has had some issues with conditioning and staying in shape, but he's also had a downright horrible quarterback situation and it's hard to tell how much of his production dropoff is from that and how much of it falls on him. There's clearly a lot of the latter going on, but the former well could be the bigger factor in all of this. If Stephen Garcia had his **** together, it really could be a different story.

Blackmon consistently made big plays last year and looked like a guy who could stretch the field in addition to make plays after the catch. This year, it's a bit of a different story. He's had only 2 plays that resulted in 30+ yard gains(he had one or two basically every week last season, most of them in excess of 40+), with one coming against Louisiana-Lafayette and the other coming against Baylor, neither of whom have world beaters in the secondary. Otherwise, teams have been able to limit the damage he's been able to do to them. Those types of plays have gone away for the entire Oklahoma State offense, so some of it might be less aggressive playcalling and teams are defiantly doubling him more, but I'm still not sure Blackmon is the type of guy who will due damage down the field in the NFL. He gets big time yardage after the catch and that's an asset for sure...but you'll see a lot of that disappear with guys who are uniformly bigger, faster, and stronger in the NFL.

So yeah, I really don't see either of them as guys you look to pick as receivers in the top half of the first round. Blackmon is an incredibly safe bet to turn out to be a number one wide receiver who you can complete a high percentage of passes to, but the lack of a down the field game just kind of limits his value to me a bit. It entirely depends on what you value in a receiver though...and some teams may look past that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't studied Blackmon extensively...

But I just see Crabtree's clone. And, in that, a guy whose ceiling is a bigger Reggie Wayne if everything breaks right for him and he develops properly.

They're both highly refined technicians, and I don't think Blackmon will be the YAC monster in the NFL that he's been in college. I see a precision receiver who understands body positioning and will run great routes. But, like you said, not someone who will ever be a huge threat down the field or a YAC monster.

Like you said, where you stand on that type of receiver will likely influence how you grade him. 1st rounder w/potential to be a great receiver? Absolutely. GREAT wide receiver prospect? I'm not sure, I lean more towards GOOD wide receiver prospect.

A Perfect Score
11-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't studied Blackmon extensively...

But I just see Crabtree's clone. And, in that, a guy whose ceiling is a bigger Reggie Wayne if everything breaks right for him and he develops properly.

They're both highly refined technicians, and I don't think Blackmon will be the YAC monster in the NFL that he's been in college. I see a precision receiver who understands body positioning and will run great routes. But, like you said, not someone who will ever be a huge threat down the field or a YAC monster.

Like you said, where you stand on that type of receiver will likely influence how you grade him. 1st rounder w/potential to be a great receiver? Absolutely. GREAT wide receiver prospect? I'm not sure, I lean more towards GOOD wide receiver prospect.

You say this like it's a bad thing. There are a plurality of HoF WRs who made a career out of being these types of players. I'm a big Blackmon guy, I had him rated above Julio last year, and while I'll readily admit he hasn't been as impressive this year as he was last year, I still think whoever drafts him will be getting a hell of a #1 receiver for the next decade. When you break it down, he already knows how to play the position better then most of the guys he'll be competing against for draft position. It's such a huge advantage.

DraftSavant
11-02-2011, 11:38 AM
You say this like it's a bad thing. There are a plurality of HoF WRs who made a career out of being these types of players. I'm a big Blackmon guy, I had him rated above Julio last year, and while I'll readily admit he hasn't been as impressive this year as he was last year, I still think whoever drafts him will be getting a hell of a #1 receiver for the next decade. When you break it down, he already knows how to play the position better then most of the guys he'll be competing against for draft position. It's such a huge advantage.

I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing. It's just the classic floor vs. ceiling debate.

The worry you get about guys with "old man skills" is that they've developed those skills to overcome a lack of something else...and that once you drop them into the league, where just about everyone has "old man skills," the biggest advantage they had is now gone.

A Perfect Score
11-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing. It's just the classic floor vs. ceiling debate.

The worry you get about guys with "old man skills" is that they've developed those skills to overcome a lack of something else...and that once you drop them into the league, where just about everyone has "old man skills," the biggest advantage they had is now gone.

I think you're assuming that every receiver in the NFL understands the intricacies of the position, and I certainly don't see it that way. Blackmon already sinks his hips and runs crisper routes then a ton of guys I see play every Sunday. And I understand the argument against his ceiling, but I imagine he'll end up measuring in around 6'1/215 and I see him running anywhere between 4.45 and 4.55. Those aren't exactly subpar triangle numbers.

DraftSavant
11-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I think you're assuming that every receiver in the NFL understands the intricacies of the position, and I certainly don't see it that way. Blackmon already sinks his hips and runs crisper routes then a ton of guys I see play every Sunday. And I understand the argument against his ceiling, but I imagine he'll end up measuring in around 6'1/215 and I see him running anywhere between 4.45 and 4.55. Those aren't exactly subpar triangle numbers.

I'm not assuming every wide receiver knows the intricacies of the position, but his competition isn't really with opposing receivers, it's with opposing defenses.

I understand that with his production, knowledge of the position, and tangibles he projects to be a very good and safe pick. I'm not disputing that.

Really, I think this just stems from Crabtree. Same measurables, same production, same offense. Same strengths and weaknesses as prospects. Crabtree got drafted first in that draft class because he was safe and had old-man skills and he's getting outproduced by every first round receiver that went after him (Heyward-Bey included).

I know that there's a ton of variables that go into each prospect's failure or success. He's an intriguing guy.

A Perfect Score
11-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm not assuming every wide receiver knows the intricacies of the position, but his competition isn't really with opposing receivers, it's with opposing defenses.

I understand that with his production, knowledge of the position, and tangibles he projects to be a very good and safe pick. I'm not disputing that.

Really, I think this just stems from Crabtree. Same measurables, same production, same offense. Same strengths and weaknesses as prospects. Crabtree got drafted first in that draft class because he was safe and had old-man skills and he's getting outproduced by every first round receiver that went after him (Heyward-Bey included).

I know that there's a ton of variables that go into each prospect's failure or success. He's an intriguing guy.

I've never perceived Crabtree's lack of production in the NFL as being relative to his time in college. I've attributed what constitutes as a failed NFL career so far as a result of mostly poor QB play, an unfamiliarity with the offense due to his holdout and injuries, and an inability to gain separation due to lack of a top gear. I don't see any of those issues affecting Blackmon nearly as dramatically, as from what I understand he doesn't have any of the personality issues that plagued Crabtree during the draft process. It's hard to predict injuries, always, but Blackmon seems durable, has what is clearly a deep understanding of the details required of playing receiver and from what I can see, has more separation ability the Crabtree did in college. Not to mention, the physicality Blackmon demonstrates weekly is far superior then what Crabtree showed in college. Just as a bit of a counterbalance, I see less of Michael Crabtree and more of bigger Greg Jennings. I know a ton of people see Boldin when they look at Blackmon, but I think he's got a bit more explosion in him then that.

killxswitch
11-02-2011, 01:48 PM
How would you guys compare Blackmon to Hakeem Nicks?

AntoinCD
11-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Not a bad comparison. I see him as a bigger Greg Jennings

Raiderz4Life
11-02-2011, 02:42 PM

You got it backwards...DHB went first Crabtree went 2nd.

jth1331
11-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Oklahoma State's offense =/ Texas Tech's offense.
Tech is a lot more screens and short, quick throws. A LOT more gimmicky.
Plus, Crabtree was a diva behind the scenes that didn't give a crap in college, and was all about the benjamins evidenced by his stupid holdout.

Blackmon is an amazing prospect IMO.

J-Mike88
11-02-2011, 04:12 PM
I've heard some scouts talk about how Jeffrey won't be able to get separation vs NFL corners.
They like Blackmon a lot more at the next level.

DraftSavant
11-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I've heard some scouts talk about how Jeffrey won't be able to get separation vs NFL corners.

Jeffrey has a good 2-3 years before he gives you anything other than the occassional contested catch jumpball in the redzone or along the sidelines.

TheSlinger
11-02-2011, 08:53 PM
If I were Jeffery I'd go back for another year, get my ass in shape and try to dominate again to rejuvenate my draft stock.

patriots21
11-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Yes they are very similar players.

patriots21
11-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Liked Jeffery before the year, but now it's looker more and more like a Jon Baldwin situation.

Roddoliver
11-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Blackmon is a better route runner and can break more tackles after the catch. Jeffery has size but Blackmon is not a small WR by any means and he has quickness.

keylime_5
11-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Blackmon being a better route runner isn't saying much - b/c he is not a good route runner at all (not that it's his fault really in that offense).

He doesn't even really get seperation in man coverage against good SEC corners right now, but he is so big and strong and tall and can jump up and high point a ball it's not a big issue. Boldin doesn't get great seperation in Baltimore, he fights for balls though and outphysicals cornerbacks. Jeffery can be like Boldin or Keyshawn in that regard.

HorusKing
11-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Man Blackmon all day please look at Alshon this kid is fat and doesn't take care of his body he look more like a tight end and isn't sudden or explosive. Alshon is another Mike Williams from usc that kid will eat himself out of a career and owners won't invest a top 10 pick on a guy who doesn't put in the time in weight room.

4U2NV
11-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Hypothetical question, but if Justin Blackmon is selected by the Jags will it kill his full potential from being realized? He's been mocked to the Jags in several different places on the internet so there's a realistic shot it happens. Blaine Gabbert has really struggled this year and made every pass catcher in Jacksonville look awful in the process. Mike Thomas had a pretty nice year last season but without good QB play he's been terrible. Would Blackmon's talent be able to overcome the same situation or would he too struggle in the Jacksonville "offence?"

killxswitch
11-10-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm not really a Gabbert believer but with a new coaching staff he will probably improve. He's only a rookie. This year has been weird with Newton and Dalton doing well, it is not the norm.

Cigaro
11-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Fun with numbers:

If Jeffery is out of shape, he was when was putting up those same numbers. Nothing has changed in that regard. The quarterback situation, however, has completely. Jeffery hasn't suddenly become thick around the waist, he was like that when he was dominating and everyone was in love with him.

keylime_5
11-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah, Garcia was playing pretty well last year. This year he was playing awful before they kicked him off the team and let Connor Shaw (who sucks) play QB.

TheSlinger
11-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Blaine Gabbert has really struggled this year and made every pass catcher in Jacksonville look awful in the process.

You've got that backwards.

DraftSavant
11-10-2011, 04:51 PM
You've got that backwards.

Meh, both groups share a pretty equal amount of blame. It's one of the worst offenses in NFL history.

CC.SD
11-10-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm not a huge fan of either of them to be honest. I would definitely take Floyd.

SenorGato
11-10-2011, 07:31 PM

Made this comp over a year ago. There's the outside shot I like Blackmon MORE as a prospect. He's probably my #2 WR after Floyd.

The comp to Crabtree makes no sense to me.

killxswitch
11-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Made this comp over a year ago. There's the outside shot I like Blackmon MORE as a prospect. He's probably my #2 WR after Floyd.

The comp to Crabtree makes no sense to me.

To me Nicks is more of a technician whereas Blackmon is more athletic.

Floyd has the most potential, if he puts it together he will be a very good NFL receiver and pose some serious matchup problems.

TheSlinger
11-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Jeffery's last 4 games: 13 catches for 77 yards (5.9 YPC), 1 TD

M.O.T.H.
11-12-2011, 07:31 PM
I think he would have had a down year anyway, but take those numbers with a grain of salt. Shaw is useless at QB. He has no intention of passing back there. Alshon barely even sees targets anymore.