PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Datko Might Get a Medical Redshirt

FSUFan45
10-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Jimbo Fisher said in his press conference it's possible he could return next year and get a 5th year.

Da Big Harv
10-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Not to call Jimbo wrong because he knows a lot more than me about football and this situation aha

but I don't think he can. He played almost every game first 3 years and has gone over the 30% of the season played which is the cutoff for medical hardship/redshirt. So I'm pretty sure hes done at FSU and off to the NFL unless I'm missing something

underscore
10-17-2011, 05:17 PM
The 30% mark is rounded up (30% of 12 games is 3.6, so 4).

Since he didn't use his redshirt year yet, he would qualify for the medical redshirt, assuming he doesn't play again this year

FSUFan45
10-17-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm pretty sure a game vs an FCS opponent doesn't count

underscore
10-17-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty sure a game vs an FCS opponent doesn't count

That has no bearing on the rule.

Da Big Harv
10-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Medical redshirt and a normal redshirt are different so fact that he didn't redshirt as a freshman wouldnt matter. If he wants to come back he has to apply for a medical hardship and NCAA decides there isn't a set rule, I'm not sure if he played in that 4th game tho if he didn't he will probably get it.

underscore
10-18-2011, 03:57 AM
Medical redshirt and a normal redshirt are different so fact that he didn't redshirt as a freshman wouldnt matter. If he wants to come back he has to apply for a medical hardship and NCAA decides there isn't a set rule, I'm not sure if he played in that 4th game tho if he didn't he will probably get it.

Conferences decide medical hardship redshirts. You get 5 years to play 4 seasons. He's in season 4 in year 4. Since he hasn't yet redshirted, he could take the hardship and play season 4 next year, year 5.

The confusion always comes in in regards to the 6th year of eligibility. That Datko is in no way eligible for.