PDA

View Full Version : Cmarq83's First Ever Mock Draft

cmarq83
10-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Here’s my first ever 2012 mock draft, I took the order from ESPN’s week 6 power rankings. So without further adu:

1) *Trade* Cleveland Browns trade to Indianapolis (pick 10, 14, 2013 2nd round pick, Alex Mack, and Colt McCoy for pick #1) Cleveland Browns-Andrew Luck QB, Stanford
A blockbuster trade to start out. Although the Colts are extremely tempted to pick Andrew Luck if Manning comes back I think they need to take the best offer for Luck. It would be unethical to sit Luck for 3 years, and then hand him an even less talented roster than the one the Colts have now with the added pressure of replacing a legend like Manning. With this trade it would give them the ability to anchor their offensive line for an aging Manning, and it gives them 2 top half of the first round selections to improve their talent depleted roster.
For the Browns it finally gives them that franchise signal caller they’ve been looking for forever. Although it sucks to trade Mack they can find a capable backup in free agency. They already have a franchise left tackle and a future shutdown cornerback, so why not add the franchise passer to that mix.

2) St. Louis Rams-Justin Blackmon WR, Oklahoma State
The Rams receiving situation is just awful and Blackmon is one of the better receivers to come out in a while. This pick gives Bradford a true #1 WR.

3) Miami Dolphins-Matt Barkley QB, USC
I like the overall talent level of the Miami Dolphins, but they need a franchise signal caller to take them to the next level. The new Miami head coach is going to want a fresh face at QB, and Barkley is the 2nd best in this class behind Luck.

4) Jacksonville Jaguars- Alshon Jeffrey WR, South Carolina
This is a lot earlier than I would have picked Jeffrey considering his weight issues and mediocre production this year, but he is the most talented receiver in this class, couple that with the Jaguars colossal need at receiver and this selection makes sense.

5) Arizona Cardinals- Matt Kalil OT, USC
Levi Brown is amongst the worst starting LT’s in the NFL. If the Cardinals are really going with Kolb then their first need is to protect him. Kalil is an elite LT prospect, and could be plugged in on the left side of their offensive line for years to come.

6) Denver Broncos- Trent Richardson RB, Alabama
I was tempted to go TE here :D, but Richardson is a great back for John Fox and hopefully can put an end to the Knowshon Moreno experiment. This spot doesn’t have a ton of value for Denver’s needs, but Richardson fits what they want to do offensively.

7) Minnesota Vikings- Jonathan Martin OT, Stanford
Minny needs a LT, and Martin is exactly that. This is the easiest pick in the whole draft.

8) Kansas City Chiefs- Landry Jones QB, Oklahoma
I like Cassel, but long term he isn’t the answer. The new coach and the fans are all going to want a change, and Landry Jones is an improvement.

9) Carolina Panthers- Morris Claiborne CB, LSU
The Carolina secondary can make the New England secondary look good. Claiborne is a really underrated corner who is really coming on this season. While Peterson and Matthieu have gotten all the pub the past couple of years, Claiborne himself has #1 type corner potential in the NFL.

10) Indianapolis Colts (from Cleveland)- Dre Kirkpatrick CB, Alabama
The only time the Colts have had a dominant defense was when Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden were playing at an elite level. I think Caldwell will be gone soon, and the cover 2 will go with him which will increase the value of corners to that team. Kirkpatrick has an elite skillset, and could fill that gaping hole at corner opposite Powers. I also considered Floyd, Coples, Kuechly, and RGIII here.

11) Seattle Seahawks- Robert Griffin III QB, Baylor
Clipboard Jesus and Tavaris Jackson aren’t going to cut it for the Seahawks. Griffin has unique tools, and while I’m not a huge fan of his, he is having a huge season. The Seahawks could have a good line in a couple of years as well as a great potential receiving corps. All they need is the centerpiece.

12) Philadelphia Eagles- Manti Te’o LB, Notre Dame
The linebackers this year have been atrocious for the Eagles. That whole unit needs a makeover, and while Andy Reid typically doesn’t go LB in the 1st Te’o could change that.

13) Cincinnati Bengals- Janoris Jenkins CB, North Alabama
I love Jenkins as a prospect, and since the Bengals have shown a tendency in the past to go with talent over character concerns I think he could be the pick here. There were times when I watched him and Haden at Florida that I thought that Jenkins was the better corner of the 2. Hall has been exposed a bit as the #1 this year, and Jenkins represents a substantial upgrade as well as a need pick.

14) Indianapolis Colts (from Cleveland via Atlanta)- David DeCastro OG, Stanford
It’s a bit early for a guard, but DeCastro’s skill + the overall terribleness of Indy’s guards makes it a good selection. Plus, a left side of Costanzo, DeCastro, and Mack could extend Peyton Manning’s career a year or 2, and make the next QB’s life a lot easier.

15) Chicago Bears- Quentin Coples DE, UNC
I was tempted to go offensive line or with Floyd here, but that defense needs a pass rush opposite Peppers and some elite young talent in the worst way. Coples is outstanding value here, and having Peppers and Coples coming off the edge would reinvigorate that defense. I like the value for O-line and WR better in later rounds for the Bears.

16) New York Jets- Michael Floyd WR, Notre Dame
As much as it would suck this is a great situation for the Jets. They get a great physical receiver who complements Holmes perfectly, and is more consistent than Braylon or Plaxico ever were. With Schottenheimer likely gone next year the Jets passing attack will be going down the field a lot more, and Floyd can make that happen.

17) Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Luke Kuechly LB, BC
A great scheme fit and it fits a need. Kuechly can play any 4-3 LB position, and is the most instinctive of any of the LB’s in this class. He gives them some young talent at LB to make plays behind McCoy and co.

18) Dallas Cowboys- Stephon Gilmore CB, South Carolina
Jerry isn’t afraid to go with the higher upside guy, which is why I have Gilmore here over a guy like Dennard or Minnefield. Corner depth has been an issue this year which has led to Alan Ball reappearing. I think the Cowboys take steps in the draft to prevent that from ever happening again with the selection of Gilmore.

19) New York Giants- Vontaze Burfict LB, Arizona State
New York needs a LB, and while Zach Brown may be a better fit, Burfict’s talent level is pretty elite for the 19th pick. Seeing as how they’ve gone for elite talent the past few years with their picks in this area (JPP, Amukmara) I think this trend continues with Burfict.

20) Tennessee Titans- Michael Brewster C, Ohio State
The running game has died in Tennessee due to poor interior line play. Brewster fills a need, and can help maximize the investments in Locker and Johnson.

21) Houston Texans- Alameda Te’amu DT, Washington
Houston made the switch to a 3-4, but they still need the big NT to hold it all together. I don’t love Te’amu but he’s the only big time NT prospect in this class which pushes him up like it did Phil Taylor and Dan Williams.

22) Oakland Raiders-Zach Brown LB, UNC
They just traded for Curry, but unless he plays well I think they’ll still need significant help at WLB. Brown’s speed gives them some playmaking ability next to the slower McClain. Corner is also a possibility here.

23) Washington Redskins- Mohammed Sanu WR, Rutgers
I think Sanu will rise during the draft process and become a 1st round pick. He possesses great strength and body control as well as a general nastiness to him which will be appreciated by Shanahan. He reminds me of a bigger Hines Ward.

24) San Francisco 49ers- Alfonzo Dennard CB, Nebraska
San Fran needs a CB especially if they can't retain Carlos Rodgers in free agency.

25) Pittsburg Steelers- Cordy Glenn OG, Georgia
Who are the Steelers if they can’t run the ball? They haven’t done it this year, and Glenn can help rectify that situation.

26) San Diego Chargers- Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB, Florida State
The Chargers need to improve their pass rush opposite Phillips, and if Larry English doesn’t get it going this year OLB is a first round need.

27) Buffalo Bills- Courtney Upshaw OLB, Alabama
The Bills can’t get a pass rush without Kyle Williams in. Upshaw fits culturally and schematically, and would be a good solid pickup for a Bills team that is on the upswing.

28) Baltimore Ravens- Peter Konz C, Wisconsin
Grubbs could be gone, and Birk is close to retirement. Konz is a good blue-collar football player who could be plugged in right away.

29) Detroit Lions- DJ Fluker OT, Alabama
Lions need to protect Stafford and Backus is regressing quickly.

30) New England Patriots (via New Orleans)- Melvin Ingram DE/OLB, South Carolina
Fills an obvious need, and is someone who has the ability to play standing up or with his hand in the dirt which is really valuable for the Patriots who run a lot of nickel, and in the past have run a 3-4 base alignment.

31) New England Patriots- Jared Crick DT/DE, Nebraska
Crick is a guy who can realistically replace both Mike Wright and Shawn Ellis next year. He is scheme versatile, and can play LE in a heavy 4-3 which coincidentally the Patriots run.

32) Green Bay Packers- Vinny Curry DE/OLB, Marshall
The Packers need another pass rusher opposite Matthews who is struggling a bit this year.

vidae
10-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Good KC pick. I'd personally prefer RG3, but I'm in the minority on that when it comes to Chiefs fans. I'd gladly take Jones though.

Pat Sims 90
10-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Good Bengals pick.

coordinator0
10-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Good Ravens pick and explanation. I don't think Birk's retirment after this season is much of a question though, and if he doesn't he's a FA anyways.

Vaylor
10-17-2011, 05:49 PM
That is a horrible trade for Cleveland.

cmarq83
10-17-2011, 05:52 PM
That is a horrible trade for Cleveland.

Andrew Luck certainly isn't going to come cheap. Compared to what Atlanta gave up for Julio Jones it isn't actually that bad.

stl9erfan
10-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Davis is improving for the 49ers. I don't think they're ready to give up on him just yet (remember, he's still incredibly young-- just 22 years old). He has some trouble with the speed rush, but he's good in the run game, and he seems to be playing with better discipline and is gradually cutting down on the penalties. I certainly don't think he's been enough of a "disaster" to prompt another selection of a 1st round OL.

I think it's much more likely that the Niners look to address CB or add another pass rusher with their first pick this year. Unless a top WR falls into their laps.

Rabscuttle
10-17-2011, 06:00 PM
I'd say wait on Davis, but can you imagine him at right guard? He has a pretty horrible disposition already, just letting him maul people full time as a guard...

Menardo75
10-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah niners aren't giving up on Davis yet CB or S.

cmarq83
10-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Yeah niners aren't giving up on Davis yet CB or S.

Changed the pick to Dennard, but I think if Davis keeps playing as poorly as he has been the Niners won't hesitate to go with Reiff there. He's pretty bad and I have no confidence in him improving.

49erNation85
10-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Good pick for sf. I'll take any one offense or a big time WR.

tjsunstein
10-17-2011, 07:24 PM
You really stretched with that Cleveland trade.
I like any OLB/DE projected because it's still so early, but the position is perfect.

Menardo75
10-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Changed the pick to Dennard, but I think if Davis keeps playing as poorly as he has been the Niners won't hesitate to go with Reiff there. He's pretty bad and I have no confidence in him improving.

Dennard is a great pick I hope Davis comes along.

ChicagoBearsVet23
10-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Perfect Bears pick

Rabscuttle
10-17-2011, 09:49 PM
If Culliver keeps developing and Rogers isn't just a flash in the pan, corner may not be as pressing as it has been for.... well, forever. Dennard is a really nice pick for now. He and Minnifield are pretty good values at this point in time.

Receiver and safety are positions of priority still.

indyfan1985
10-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Wow, Amazing trade for the Colts!!! This is of course presuming Peyton has another 3 years left in him and he comes back healthy next year, which hopefully he should.

We get our QB of the future in Colt McCoy(Colt playing for the Colts!)
We get our C of the future in Alex Mack and Saturday can retire.
We get our very good corner in Kirkpatrick to play opposite Powers.
We get another very good OL in DeCastro to make this OL very good with LT Costanzo, DeCastro, Mack, and Ijalana. (Young and talented OL)

We could probably trade down a little from the 14 spot though and still get DeCastro.

For our second rounder we need to go BPA between Dwayne Allen, NT Brandon Thompson, S TJ McDonald, or WR Michael Floyd.

indyfan1985
10-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Andrew Luck certainly isn't going to come cheap. Compared to what Atlanta gave up for Julio Jones it isn't actually that bad.

Yeah Luck is much more highly rated than Julio as well so it would cost a lot to get him. As a Colts fan I certainly would LOVE this trade and would really load us up with some talent and getting a good QB to take over when Peyton retires in Colt McCoy.

Hurricanes25
10-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Michael Floyd is a good pick for the Jets. I have a feeling that Plax won't be back next year.

T-RICH49
10-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Good KC pick. I'd personally prefer RG3, but I'm in the minority on that when it comes to Chiefs fans. I'd gladly take Jones though.

what he said

Brown Leader
10-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Wow, Amazing trade for the Colts!!! This is of course presuming Peyton has another 3 years left in him and he comes back healthy next year, which hopefully he should.

We get our QB of the future in Colt McCoy(Colt playing for the Colts!)
We get our C of the future in Alex Mack and Saturday can retire.
We get our very good corner in Kirkpatrick to play opposite Powers.
We get another very good OL in DeCastro to make this OL very good with LT Costanzo, DeCastro, Mack, and Ijalana. (Young and talented OL)

We could probably trade down a little from the 14 spot though and still get DeCastro.

For our second rounder we need to go BPA between Dwayne Allen, NT Brandon Thompson, S TJ McDonald, or WR Michael Floyd.
Yeah Luck is much more highly rated than Julio as well so it would cost a lot to get him. As a Colts fan I certainly would LOVE this trade and would really load us up with some talent and getting a good QB to take over when Peyton retires in Colt McCoy.

Apparently you've not seen Colt play this season.

Matthew Jones
10-18-2011, 06:11 AM
Crick would be awesome, not sure if Ingram is tall enough for BB. Can you remember ever drafting a 6'2" pass rusher? I'd argue that Belichick's idea of ideal height and bulk is one of the most important things to keep in mind when projecting Patriots draft picks.

prock
10-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Martin is a good pick. Obviously.

cmarq83
10-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Crick would be awesome, not sure if Ingram is tall enough for BB. Can you remember ever drafting a 6'2" pass rusher? I'd argue that Belichick's idea of ideal height and bulk is one of the most important things to keep in mind when projecting Patriots draft picks.

I see Ingram as being exactly whay Adalius Thomas was supposed to be. They have similar size and BB invested $36 million in the guy. I think the height thing has more to do with the him throwing the media a bone once and them running with it.

cmarq83
10-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Apparently you've not seen Colt play this season.

Yeah when I made this trade I took Colt's play into account. I see him as being a good backup for a long time in the NFL like Damon Huard or Jon Kitna which gives him more value to a team like the Colts than the Browns. I don't see him as a future starter for the Colts. What did you think about the trade for the Browns?

Thecollegedropout
10-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Michael Floyd is a good pick for the Jets. I have a feeling that Plax won't be back next year.
2nd. Great pick with Floyd. Jets need a go to starter next to Holmes. Floyd is that.

I likewise don't think Burress is coming back either.

mcdlaxbonz13
10-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Yeah when I made this trade I took Colt's play into account. I see him as being a good backup for a long time in the NFL like Damon Huard or Jon Kitna which gives him more value to a team like the Colts than the Browns. I don't see him as a future starter for the Colts. What did you think about the trade for the Browns?

Personally I think it is a terrible trade. I know luck is arguably the most highly touted prospect in a long time, however just because cleveland has a franchise LT doesn't mean he wont have to deal with pressure. I just honestly do not think Luck would survive in cleveland, like many quarterbacks before him (although he would be clearly better). Using the trade value chart as a sort of reference point if cleveland didn't include mack, and mccoy they would only owe indy 120 "points" which if you take where mccoy was drafted he would cover this. Its an interesting trade proposal but I just feel it would set cleveland back because its not like they are a qb away from being a contender, this team still has too many needs.

DeepThreat
10-18-2011, 07:48 PM

I thought it was terrible. The Browns got raped.

cmarq83
10-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Personally I think it is a terrible trade. I know luck is arguably the most highly touted prospect in a long time, however just because cleveland has a franchise LT doesn't mean he wont have to deal with pressure. I just honestly do not think Luck would survive in cleveland, like many quarterbacks before him (although he would be clearly better). Using the trade value chart as a sort of reference point if cleveland didn't include mack, and mccoy they would only owe indy 120 "points" which if you take where mccoy was drafted he would cover this. Its an interesting trade proposal but I just feel it would set cleveland back because its not like they are a qb away from being a contender, this team still has too many needs.

The good part of this trade though is that they still have plenty of draft picks to address those needs. They would still have a full complement of picks in 2012 and they're only missing a 2nd in 2013. The hole with Mack is something that can be filled through free agency with a guy like Myers, Hardwick, Wells, or Connolly. The picks add up to about 2650 if you rank a 2013 2nd as having a value of a top of the 3rd round pick in 2012. I don't think we can value McCoy in draft pick terms anymore because a sunk cost doesn't factor into decision making. He's a backup caliber player, and with Luck he doesn't have that kind of value to the Browns. So there is around a discrepancy of about 350 points plus the fact that Luck is an all-time prospect is why included Mack. The Colts can't risk passing up Luck without getting an established player in return.

They're not going to be any closer to winning a superbowl with Mack, McCoy + those picks than if Luck turns out to be who we think he is. This is a franchise that has 1 playoff run since it's return in 1998. This is the step they need to take to be consistent contenders. With Luck, hopefully Hillis, Thomas, those DT's, and Haden that is a core to build around over the next decade.

Brown Leader
10-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Those posts above are crazy talk. I'd be estatic for that trade. A franchise QB trumps all. McCoy is awful. Mack is a tad overrated-he's def not in the Pounceys, Mangold class. Still keep next years first and all of this years picks after round 1. Done deal.

mcdlaxbonz13
10-18-2011, 08:59 PM
They're not going to be any closer to winning a superbowl with Mack, McCoy + those picks than if Luck turns out to be who we think he is. This is a franchise that has 1 playoff run since it's return in 1998. This is the step they need to take to be consistent contenders. With Luck, hopefully Hillis, Thomas, those DT's, and Haden that is a core to build around over the next decade.

This is of course what it all hinges on, Luck being who we think he is. If Luck is the next manning then yes pull the trigger (Personally I haven't watched much college football since 2008). But just looking back historically it is impossible to guarantee that he will be the next manning. By playing the odds I feel Cleveland is more likely to get another franchise player by having two picks (regardless of where in the first it is) then by having the first overall pick. Again this would be a high risk high reward scenario, If it happened I'd just have to trust in Luck, however if I am the GM I would prefer to have 2 first round picks and continue trying to improve the overall talent of the team.