PDA

View Full Version : Which team is in the best position to be the top team of this decade?

Caulibflower
10-18-2011, 02:35 AM
I'm looking at some of the top teams and trying to figure out which of them have the best mix of young talent and good talent evaluators to keep it coming as the vets age out. Good teams with young QBs and high talent at multiple other critical positions. Doesn't mean "team that will be the best team 10 years from now," but a run of 5-7 years or so of continued dominance would qualify.

What I figure to be, roughly, the top quarter:

Patriots - Tom Brady is important, but the Patriots won when he was injured, and they've continued to haul tons of talent out of the draft and replace their veteran players with effective young players. With them, it's not so much the age of their players as it is an acknowledgement of an exceptionally operated franchise.

Cincinnati - Better defense than a lot of people realize; they've got a great defensive coordinator doing a very good job with the talent he has. Imagine them having a couple more top-level players on that defense. And then there's the Andy Dalton-AJ Green-Jermaine Gresham trio, which if for real, could be a very effective offensive unit to build around for years.

Pittsburgh - I include because Ben Roethlisberger is in his prime and is throwing to an unstoppable wide receiver. Doing it with such a lousy line inspires some optimism for the coming years, assuming they use their time to upgrade. The defense is old now, yes - but many of the players who are aging are players the Steelers drafted, or turned from scrubs into All-Pros (JH). A situation of a QB who has a very impressive resume already, combined with some good young talent, combined with plenty of room for team improvement.

Oakland - I'm tired of writing these. I just want to post it now. Oakland has young talent.

Chicago - Jay Cutler.

Detroit - Jim Schwartz.

Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers is 27, Greg Jennings is 28, Jordy Nelson is 26, Jermichael Finley is 24, Clay Matthews is 25, BJ Raji is 25.

Carolina - You know.

yo123
10-18-2011, 02:40 AM
Chicago is pretty damn old. I don't think they belong here.

Caulibflower
10-18-2011, 02:43 AM
Chicago is pretty damn old. I don't think they belong here.

Very possible. I didn't vote for them in the poll. I'm not looking for a top-8 team anyways, though. So if not Chicago in there, and some other team... by all means. They were kinda borderline when I was thinking of a top-8.

BRAVEHEART
10-18-2011, 02:55 AM
I think you forgot to put the 49'ers.

I might hate their Punk-ass coach, but he's a damn good coach that finds ways get the most out of his roster. They're doing good now, but they'll be even better once they get more Harbaugh type players that play with his mentality. They also play in the worst division in football, and that helps a lot.

niel89
10-18-2011, 02:59 AM
I'm pretty inclined to put Baltimore this discussion. Solid franchise with a good front office/GM. Flacco is at least equal at QB as Oakland and Cinci. Its gonna really hurt when Ray Lewis and Ed Reed leave but there is a real solid core of younger guys too.

On offense, Rice is young, the OL is old at LT & C but Yanda and Oher aren't old and if Grubbs stays past this year then thats 3/5 of the line. WR is young so we'll see.

On D, Ngata and Cody are gonna be around for a while along with Suggs as some real difference makers.

Ravens are looking pretty good for the near future the way I look at it. Ozzie generally has done a good job of keeping the roster pretty talented without selling away the future.

I voted Packers, Lions, and Pitt BTW. They have great QB who I know will continue to make them contenders.

Caddy
10-18-2011, 03:05 AM
Why are there several crap teams in the poll?

kalbears13
10-18-2011, 03:19 AM
The Packers will be good for as many years as they have Jordy Nelson. Jordy Nelson is vicariously carrying the team on his back through Greg Jennings.

Caulibflower
10-18-2011, 04:24 AM
Why are there several crap teams in the poll?

It's supposed to be a mix of teams that may not be considered "elite" right now but might have that distinction in their reach, and teams that are doing well now and have several factors aligning them for further success. It's about the future.

VernonLawson89
10-18-2011, 04:40 AM
No 49ers? OH NOEZ WE SUCK AGAIN :(

teb
10-18-2011, 04:53 AM
I like this team, and I always support it.
Cleveland Browns Jerseys (http://www.diyjerseys.com/cleveland-browns-c-2_11.html)

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 08:37 AM
If the Green Bay Packers can keep their salary cap in order, it has to be them. Rodgers can be great for 7-10 more years at least. I think James Starks can be a decent runner for them. Jennings and Finley give him good targets. Bulaga and Sherrod can anchor the line.

On defense, Raji and Matthews are about as good as they come. Collins, Shields, Burnett, and Williams are an outstanding secondary. If they continue to draft well and are able to resign their guys, it has to be them.

Sloopy
10-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Baltimore should definitely be in this discussion

Also: can I votezz for whoever gets LUCK next year. They will be SUPA STAS

irishbucsfan
10-18-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm not saying they're the correct answer, but it's ridiculous the Bucs aren't even an option.

BloodBrother
10-18-2011, 08:55 AM
If the Green Bay Packers can keep their salary cap in order, it has to be them. Rodgers can be great for 7-10 more years at least. I think James Starks can be a decent runner for them. Jennings and Finley give him good targets. Bulaga and Sherrod can anchor the line.

On defense, Raji and Matthews are about as good as they come. Collins, Shields, Burnett, and Williams are an outstanding secondary. If they continue to draft well and are able to resign their guys, it has to be them.

Collins is a wildcard going forward. His career could be done unfortunately. Was looking forward to a Collins/Burnett duo for years at Safety

in any case, the teams with the best shot are the ones who already have that young franchise QB in place. Detroit is obviously on its way, Tampa Bay Bucs have a solid nucleus to build around, etc. Since those teams have the QB position situated, they can focus on building around that.

The Pats have been the top team from this past decade already, and will continue to be good as long as Brady is back there. I trust Belichick and Co. to keep the talent coming in, but the big question for them eventually will be how fast they are able to replace Brady once he retires. Can never count them out though with the brain trust up top

There are a few teams who have the ability, but right now the safest bet IMO would be the Packers. They are already a SB champion and one of the best teams in the league. Their impact players are all 24-28 years old. Thompson/McCarthy is shaping up into a very good duo themselves and Thompson has been nails in the draft since coming to Green Bay

As long as Rodgers stays healthy, I don't see how they don't have playoff teams every year, with maybe another SB win mixed in

killxswitch
10-18-2011, 09:11 AM
GB and Detroit. Promising young core players on both teams that are already good.

descendency
10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
NE's problem right now is that a lot of the players are just playing stupid in the system.

Sunday's game against Dallas was a prime example. Missed tackles, blown zone coverages, and just terrible field awareness.

NE has boatloads of talent. One has to believe that if they can find a suitable backup for Brady (and eventual QB), they could make a dominant run in the 2010s.

Though, I expect this team to take a major step back after Brady and Belichick both retire (soon)

edit: Chicago should be swapped for Tampa. Cutler is severely over-rated, his line isn't getting better, and that defense is old now. Not experienced. Just old.

prock
10-18-2011, 09:49 AM
I voted Detroit and GB. Sadly those are both in my division.

Grizzlegom
10-18-2011, 09:51 AM
I wasn't going to vote but after the Carson Palmer trade, its tough to believe the Bengals aren't in the best position now. Already have Dalton-Green-Gresham and now two more first rounders to build on current youth plus Ravens/Steelers aging...

JBCX
10-18-2011, 10:34 AM
There's no way the Patriots and Steelers belong in this list.

The Patriots have another run or two left in them before Brady becomes less effective, but their defense has suffered from a string of poor defensive drafts. I don't ever see their defense regaining championship form, which means they won't win another Super Bowl despite what Brady is doing, and Brady won't be doing this for more than 2-3 years at most.

The Steelers' defense is just too old to be a perennial force again. Polamalu, Hampton, and some of the linebackers are going to deteriorate and they have no young difference makers that can bring the same kind of presence that a player such as Polamalu can bring. If the Steelers defense isn't elite, they won't ever be a force in the AFC again. Roethlisberger won't be able to carry this team on his own.

The best candidates for this poll are the 49ers, Packers, Bengals, Browns, and Panthers.

keylime_5
10-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Bengals and Oakland and Carolina? Really? Can we throw the Browns and Cardinals in there too for good measure?

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 11:30 AM
I think you forgot two teams.

San Fransisco and Tampa Bay.

Tampa Bay is loaded with young talent, but they're inexperienced. They have a young nucleus that can be up the tops with Green Bay and Detroit in the next year or so.

San Fransisco has the defense. If they continue to build and find themselves a franchise QB, the Packers, Lions, Bucs, and Niners could be forces for years to come.

NFC East, ehh it's hard to pick a team with a good young nucleus. I like Dallas' talent a lot, but when are they going to pull the trigger and find another QB?

vidae
10-18-2011, 11:32 AM
What is this?! No Chiefs option?!? I am insulted!

Caulibflower
10-18-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm not saying they're the correct answer, but it's ridiculous the Bucs aren't even an option.

They were a borderline option for the poll, too. I don't really think they're one of the top couple, though. I mean... No facet of their team is really spectacular; most of it is just going to be the fact that Josh Freeman is a young "franchise QB." Not a whole lot different than Chicago, except Chicago is older. But... Chicago was in the NFC championship last year, so I give them some momentum points for that.

BloodBrother
10-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Chicago is on the downside right now IMO. Old defense and a god awful OL and STILL no weapons for Cutler(other than Forte, who they still have to pay)

Caulibflower
10-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Bengals and Oakland and Carolina? Really? Can we throw the Browns and Cardinals in there too for good measure?

Those three teams just look like they've got a lot of good, young talent, and on both sides of the ball. So yes, really, I think they're worthy of consideration. I thought about including the Browns in the list, but ultimately thought a couple other teams looked better.

I think you forgot two teams.

San Fransisco and Tampa Bay.

Those seem to be the two most-mentioed.

Tampa Bay is loaded with young talent, but they're inexperienced. They have a young nucleus that can be up the tops with Green Bay and Detroit in the next year or so.

I suppose my problem with Tampa is that while they looked promising last year, they really haven't shown much to be excited about this year, making last year feel a little fluky to me. But we'll see. I believe in Josh Freeman, but I'm not totally sold on the rest of the team. We'll see. I'm sure there are plenty of posters here who watch more Bucs games than I do.

BloodBrother
10-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Last year definitely was a bit flukey for the Bucs. I think they only had 1 win over a team who was above .500, and that was the last game of the season against the Saints

I thought they'd regress a bit this year, but they do have young talent on both sides. Interested in seeing how they continue to build that roster, but the pieces are already being put in place

irishbucsfan
10-18-2011, 12:30 PM
They were a borderline option for the poll, too. I don't really think they're one of the top couple, though. I mean... No facet of their team is really spectacular; most of it is just going to be the fact that Josh Freeman is a young "franchise QB." Not a whole lot different than Chicago, except Chicago is older. But... Chicago was in the NFC championship last year, so I give them some momentum points for that.

I wasn't under the impression they needed to be spectacular right now. If we're talking about talented nuclei to build around, apart from having a talented QB I expect to be around for 12+ years, the Bucs have a D line littered with early draft picks and some very gifted but inexperienced skill players (Blount, Williams, Benn). O line is literally the only group that you could argue don't have significant room for growth. Add to that what looks to be a good drafting partnership with Dominik and Raheem, I think it would be silly to say we're not in position to build lasting success.

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Chicago is on the downside right now IMO. Old defense and a god awful OL and STILL no weapons for Cutler(other than Forte, who they still have to pay)

I hate to say it, but you are right. They have Cutler, Forte (if we pay him), and Carimi on offense. On defense... Major Wright? Stephen Paea? They don't really have any established young talent on defense. On special teams they are very good with a young punter, great kicker, and the best returner.

tjsunstein
10-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Green Bay headlines this list. Some teams shouldn't be on it, some others should but if you're looking at the teams that are in place right now (and not overreacting to the Bengals draft picks), Detroit is the closest to Green Bay.

CC.SD
10-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Rivers isn't even 30 suckas

brat316
10-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Whoever picked green bay is on crack, Pitt all the way.

49erNation85
10-18-2011, 01:33 PM
It is either GB or NE only clear choices.Pitt is on down hill trail lately.

JBCX
10-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Whoever picked green bay is on crack, Pitt all the way.

lol. I'd say the same about anyone who thinks that Pittsburgh is actually going to remain relevant in this decade.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Last year definitely was a bit flukey for the Bucs. I think they only had 1 win over a team who was above .500, and that was the last game of the season against the Saints

I thought they'd regress a bit this year, but they do have young talent on both sides. Interested in seeing how they continue to build that roster, but the pieces are already being put in place

The pieces in Tampa are put in place. People fail to see that they are the youngest team in the league right now and too be 4-2 and a top the division is far ahead of there rebuilding stage. DO I think they'll take the division or make the playoffs? Probably not. But winning 10 games last year with 15 different rookies starting is a huge accomplishment, regardless of teh schedule.

It's called growing pains. They're winning on talent alone, but you see there young. Look at all the penalties. It's just let them gain experience.

Iamcanadian
10-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Right now the choice is obvious, Green Bay, but watch out for Carolina with Cam Newton. This guy is special and when he turns those interceptions into TD's, he will challenge Rodgers for the top of the pile.

yodabear
10-18-2011, 01:54 PM
U know everyone is gonna come in here and vote for their own team or come in here and say its the second year of the decade and their team is on its way. With that being said, I say the Rams to prove my point :). But since u forced me to pick one of these teams, as much as I hate to say it and agree with all the honks on TV, its the Packers.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 01:57 PM
It is the Packers and they're great at adding talent through the draft and developing players.

I;m just puzzled to not see Tampa on here , when clearly several analysts and scouts have said they have one of the most talented teams in the NFL to be a contender, and are surprised they're competing at that age.

vidae
10-18-2011, 02:03 PM
New drinking game: take a shot every time a Bucs fan mentions their overall team age.

irishbucsfan
10-18-2011, 04:07 PM
New drinking game: take a shot every time a Bucs fan mentions their overall team age.

I know Bucs fans went slightly insane last year, but I don't really understand this bitterness. I'm personally excited to see teams like the Packers, Lions and Chiefs draft and build well. I'm sorry Berry and Charles got injured for the year, but please don't take it out on people who mention team age in a thread about potential.

tjsunstein
10-18-2011, 04:08 PM
I know Bucs fans went slightly insane last year, but I don't really understand this bitterness. I'm personally excited to see teams like the Packers, Lions and Chiefs draft and build well. I'm sorry Berry and Charles got injured for the year, but please don't take it out on people who mention team age in a thread about potential.
Josh Freeman for MVP?

irishbucsfan
10-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Josh Freeman for MVP?

The thing is, if you want to interpret the award literally, as in which one player is more valuable to his team than any other player are to theirs, then it would be ridiculous not to recognise that Freeman is viable name to throw out, since he was the Bucs last year pretty much.

A Perfect Score
10-18-2011, 04:14 PM

I'd be hammered before lunch every day reading these boards.

vidae
10-18-2011, 04:15 PM
I'd be hammered before lunch every day reading these boards.

You wouldn't be anyway?

KCStud
I'd love for my Chiefs to be on this, but sadly we don't have a QB to go with great talented players.

I'd say a darkhorse is the Texans. Very strong talent mostly everywhere and they have a QB who can take them far.

A Perfect Score
You wouldn't be anyway?

Touche, my dear friend. Touche...

keylime_5
10-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Green Bay is probably the best team in the league right now. They also just so happen to be one of the youngest. Do the math there.

As far as some older teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh - those teams have pretty much been consistently good for well over ten years now, replacing all their older players with newer younger ones. Ed Reed and Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs might not be there much longer, but guys like Haloti Ngata, Jimmy Smith, Terrence Cody, etc. are up and comers. Those two organizations have shown that they can pretty seamlessly reload.

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 04:19 PM
The thing is, if you want to interpret the award literally, as in which one player is more valuable to his team than any other player are to theirs, then it would be ridiculous not to recognise that Freeman is viable name to throw out, since he was the Bucs last year pretty much.

If you want to interpret the award literally, the only person who deserves a vote for MVP is Peyton Manning. They went from guaranteed 10-win season to worst team in the league.

irishbucsfan
10-18-2011, 04:20 PM
If you want to interpret the award literally, the only person who deserves a vote for MVP is Peyton Manning. They went from guaranteed 10-win season to worst team in the league.

And I wouldn't argue with that. I have only ever said in terms of an individual's importance to their team's success, Freeman was absolutely up there last year.

Pat Sims 90
10-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Can i change my vote to the Bengals now?