Houston @ Tennessee
Kansas City @ Oakland
Pittsburgh @ Arizona
Green Bay @ Minnesota
St. Louis @ Dallas
Indianapolis @ New Orleans

Monday
Baltimore @ Jacksonville

Not a lot of great games this week on paper. TB-Chicago, Houston-Tenn, and SD-NYJ are the best IMO. The prime time games suck.

nepg
10-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Detroit-Atlanta...

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 08:39 AM
I think the Monday Night game is underrated. As bad as the Jaguars are, they usually step it up for prime time games. I'm not saying they will win, but it will be better than most expect. Atlanta and Detroit should be good. If Chicago's line can string together two good games in a row than their London game should be fun to watch.

Sloopy
10-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I think the Monday Night game is underrated. As bad as the Jaguars are, they usually step it up for prime time games. I'm not saying they will win, but it will be better than most expect. Atlanta and Detroit should be good. If Chicago's line can string together two good games in a row than their London game should be fun to watch.

I'm just psyched that I will be able to get a Ravens game on T.V. **** streaming ********

jth1331
10-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Yay the Broncos might win another game!

prock
10-18-2011, 09:29 AM
I kinda hope the Vikings win this one and then lose out. I just can't stomach ever losing to the Pack. Peterson should be able to run for 120+ yards if we can get any sort of passing game going and Frazier actually gives him the rock. Jared Allen should get at least 2 sacks. The dome will probably be more Packers fans than Vikings fans though, which will be really really depressing.

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 09:31 AM
I kinda hope the Vikings win this one and then lose out. I just can't stomach ever losing to the Pack. Peterson should be able to run for 120+ yards if we can get any sort of passing game going and Frazier actually gives him the rock. Jared Allen should get at least 2 sacks. The dome will probably be more Packers fans than Vikings fans though, which will be really really depressing.

Allen couldn't even get 2 sacks against the Bears patchwork offensive line. The Green Bay line is better and Rodgers get rid of the ball quicker. I wouldn't be so confident that Allen is going to do much.

prock
10-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Allen couldn't even get 2 sacks against the Bears patchwork offensive line. The Green Bay line is better and Rodgers get rid of the ball quicker. I wouldn't be so confident that Allen is going to do much.

Jared Allen had 8.5 sacks before that game. The Packers have a backup starting at left tackle, and two years ago Allen had like 7 sacks in two games vs Rodgers. On that fast track we got I'm confident in at least 1 sack, but a good chance for two.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Jared Allen had 8.5 sacks before that game. The Packers have a backup starting at left tackle, and two years ago Allen had like 7 sacks in two games vs Rodgers. On that fast track we got I'm confident in at least 1 sack, but a good chance for two.

I guarantee the Packers backup is better than J'Marcus Webb...

But that's neither here nor now.

MetSox17
10-18-2011, 10:01 AM
What is it with the constant ****** primetime games?

prock
10-18-2011, 10:41 AM

Yeah, it is still pretty irrelevant though.

tjsunstein
10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't think that Allen has faced a Packers starting LT in like 3 years.

JBCX
10-18-2011, 10:52 AM
The best possible situation would be if Jared Allen sacks Aaron Rodgers early in the 1st quarter and causes him to suffer a season-ending injury.

Then all the losing for the Vikings would be worth it to see the Packers' repeat Super Bowl hopes dashed in the 7th week of the season.

killxswitch
10-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Indianapolis @ New Orleans

Whatever the line is, bet on NO.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
What is it with the constant ****** primetime games?

Flex scheduling needs to start sooner for Sunday night games and needs to exist somehow for Monday night games.

My suggestion for Monday nights was to schedule 2 games for every Monday. Then, Two weeks ahead of time (to give the teams and host cities plenty of notice) ESPN picks the more appealing one to show while the other moves to a normal time on Sunday.

Might not be perfect (like, for example, this week has nothing but fairly ****** games) but it would offer a chance of improvement.

TimmG6376
10-18-2011, 11:13 AM

That was with TJ Lang and Darren Colledge filling in for an injured Clifton. I won't argue that Allen has generally had good games vs the Pack but I wouldn't expect anything based on those two games.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 11:24 AM
I understand that Indianapolis got prime time games, but come on.

Jacksonville getting a Monday night game this year?

Also, when is the date the NFL can start flexing Sunday night games?

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
I understand that Indianapolis got prime time games, but come on.

Jacksonville getting a Monday night game this year?

Also, when is the date the NFL can start flexing Sunday night games?

Yeah, I doubt ESPN will be too happy forking over billions to the NFL to get....Jacksonville and Miami...

vidae
10-18-2011, 11:39 AM
At least the Chiefs have three primetime games this year! Those will be fun for all to watch! :D

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 11:42 AM
At least the Chiefs have three primetime games this year! Those will be fun for all to watch! :D

Please dear christ let them all be Sunday night games after Flex scheduling starts....Please.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Jon Gruden probably shakes his head behind the scenes wondering what the heck are some of these teams doing there on Monday Night prime time games.

I mean, yeah it's difficult to figure out who will be good some times. But if they took a look at the Jags roster and past few years, I mean they got blown out by a bad Tennesee team lat year on MNF.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 11:57 AM

The Cheifs are actually playing better now. They put up a fight against San Diego on the road, then handled the Vikings and Colts (not really saying much).

I think they finally got there head out of there ***.

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 12:33 PM

Having nobody lined up at left tackle is better than J'Marcus Webb. At least that empty space can't hold or have a false start.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Having nobody lined up at left tackle is better than J'Marcus Webb. At least that empty space can't hold or have a false start.

Can't argue with that.

BloodBrother
10-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Christian Ponder is going to start for the Vikes this weekend

CC.SD
10-18-2011, 01:25 PM
It's gonna be weird to be on the other side of Ladainian-face...please retire LT.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 03:06 PM
The Tim Tebow era officially begins Sunday.

V.I.P
10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Bucs beat Saints, Saints beat Bears, so Bucs beat Bears, no?....

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 03:53 PM

That's not how it works, fellow buc fan.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 03:55 PM

According to several media darlings and forum posters, there should be an asterick next to Bucs victory over new orleans saying:

Bucs 26 NO 20 * (Due to Sean Payton being injured. If not Injured, NO would have pumbled the Bucs).

Not because the Bucs weren't in Drew Brees' face all day or anything.

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 04:16 PM

Bucs beat Falcons by a field goal, Bears beat Falcons by 18, so Bears beat Bucs by tow touchdowns, no?

Or to have more fun. Chicago beat Carolina, who beat Jacksonville, who beat Tennessee, who beat Baltimore, who beat the Jets, who beat Dallas, who beat San Francisco, who killed Tampa Bay, so Bears kill Bucs?

V.I.P
10-18-2011, 04:41 PM
That's not how it works, fellow buc fan.

It was a joke making fun of a dumb logic my friend said earlier today.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't know what to make of the Bucs/Bears. If the ****** version of either team shows up, the other could win big in a blowout. If the more decent version of each shows up, it would be a great game.

If the ****** version of both shows up....well the we have the first half of Bears/Lions all over again. And no one wants that...

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't know what to make of the Bucs/Bears. If the ****** version of either team shows up, the other could win big in a blowout. If the more decent version of each shows up, it would be a great game.

If the ****** version of both shows up....well the we have the first half of Bears/Lions all over again. And no one wants that...

This game could possibly make the British love football. More likely, it could be so bad that the British permanently denounce the NFL and as punishment for putting them through such a game, declare war on us.

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 04:56 PM
This game could possibly make the British love football. More likely, it could be so bad that the British permanently denounce the NFL and as punishment for putting them through such a game, declare war on us.

Oh, haha...I totally forgot it was in London.

The league is probably sending the Bears a memo asking them to leave J'Marcus Webb in the US. The Brits don't need to see that....

V.I.P
10-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Bears #1 WR: Dane Sanzenbacher

Who the **** is this?

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Who the **** is this?

The undrafted rookie who is tied with Hester for most receptions by a WR. (2nd on the team behind Forte who has more than twice as many as anyone else.)

He also seems to be out top red zone target for some reason.

ShutDwn
10-18-2011, 05:15 PM
The Panthers will be wearing their blue uniforms against the Redskins making it the first time their uniforms are a color other than white. It makes sense wearing white so much, being that they're Panthers and all...

Has any other team done this? It isn't that big a deal, but I've forgotten what the black uniforms even look like.

Giantsfan1080
10-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Bye Week Blues and there aren't many other good games on. Figures.

TitanHope
10-18-2011, 05:21 PM
I've been waiting for Houston @ Tennessee for weeks. The game is already sold out, I believe.

Breed
10-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Bye Week Blues and there aren't many other good games on. Figures.

I feel the same way..

The Panthers will be wearing their blue uniforms against the Redskins making it the first time their uniforms are a color other than white. It makes sense wearing white so much, being that they're Panthers and all...

Has any other team done this? It isn't that big a deal, but I've forgotten what the black uniforms even look like.

Does jersey really matter? I don't know about you but i can care less what color tights they are running around in. I don't get why people get hyped over alternate or throwback jerseys so much...

prock
10-18-2011, 05:24 PM
That was with TJ Lang and Darren Colledge filling in for an injured Clifton. I won't argue that Allen has generally had good games vs the Pack but I wouldn't expect anything based on those two games.

How about based on him having a monster year thus far and being pumped up to play the Packers at home on the fast track that is the Dome?

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 06:03 PM
The undrafted rookie who is tied with Hester for most receptions by a WR. (2nd on the team behind Forte who has more than twice as many as anyone else.)

T
He also seems to be out top red zone target for some reason.

This guy was an absolute steal for the Bears in UDFA. I'm shocked he wasn;t drafted. He may never be a number 1 guy, but honestly, he's going to be a Wes Welker slot type WR that just runs crisp routes and gets open.

Still don't know how he was overlooked

BeerBaron
10-18-2011, 06:38 PM
This guy was an absolute steal for the Bears in UDFA. I'm shocked he wasn;t drafted. He may never be a number 1 guy, but honestly, he's going to be a Wes Welker slot type WR that just runs crisp routes and gets open.

Still don't know how he was overlooked

Ideally, that's where he'd be now. But Hester is so streaky, Knox only knows how to run one route, Bennett has been hurt and our TEs are awful.

So he's basically become Cutler's favorite target after Forte.

Plus, crazy eyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/BeerBaron/sanzenbacher.jpg

ShutDwn
10-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Does jersey really matter? I don't know about you but i can care less what color tights they are running around in. I don't get why people get hyped over alternate or throwback jerseys so much...

Do your posts really matter?

TitanHope
10-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Christian Ponder is going to start for the Vikes this weekend

It's neat how Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, and Andy Dalton are all already starting. I think that leaves only Jake Locker and Colin Kaepernick left among the rookie QB's taken as near future franchise QB's (ie. not Ryan Mallett in New England).

XxXdragonXxX
10-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Whitehurst!

49erNation85
10-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Hell yes I am starting Tim Tebow in my fantasy league for this Sunday as he should crush Miami ha

Complex
10-18-2011, 11:07 PM
I've been waiting for Houston @ Tennessee for weeks. The game is already sold out, I believe.

IDK how to feel I was ready to crush well not crush but beat the steelers and look what happen.

49erNation85
10-18-2011, 11:08 PM
It's neat how Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, and Andy Dalton are all already starting. I think that leaves only Jake Locker and Colin Kaepernick left among the rookie QB's taken as near future franchise QB's (ie. not Ryan Mallett in New England).

Both of these two have quality starters ahead of them so they will not start this season.As long as A.Smith is winning CK won't see the field sadly.Maybe next year.Locker is behind a very solid Vet in Hasselle back so he won't see the field for a a year maybe two.Mallet well he won't see the field until Brady is gone or maybe end of last game or in blow outs.It sucks for these guys but oh well.

RufusMcDaniel
10-18-2011, 11:23 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/BananaClock/SCB/f067e0dd.gif

gpngc
10-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Seahawks match up well with the Browns. I think our defense can shut them down pretty good. Hopefully we'll come out fired up after the bye. Another East Coast trip but we came out firing in New York. No Trufant would hurt us normally but the Brownies happen to have the worst WRs in the league.

Also, we get back Gallery, Zach Miller, Roy Lewis, and Deon Butler.

If Joe Haden plays, it'll likely be the Obo/Doug Baldwin show once again. No big deal. And with Gallery back, we'll continue to build on the good strides we've made in the running game the past few weeks.

We're getting 3 points in Vegas but the juice is moving in our direction.

Whitehurst is getting the first-team reps, but Carroll says T-Jack is way ahead of schedule.

I haven't seen CJ look like the joke we all used to make since last year against the Giants (first NFL start), so I'm pretty confident he'll be able to manage the game well. Given how well our defense has played, and the fact that the Browns offense isn't exactly the most explosive unit in the league, I feel good about our chances.

bucfan12
10-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Did anyone else watch the Tennsesee/LSU game on Saturday, when they showed Peyton Manning on the sidelines.

Any word on how much weight he's lost since his surgery? I mean, dang, he looked thin, like someone who's never played in the NFL before. I'm not saying sickly skinny, but you can tell he lost a lot of muscle.

Makes me wonder if he'll retire.

jth1331
10-19-2011, 10:08 AM

Denver beat Cincinnati who beat Jacksonville who beat Tennessee who beat Baltimore who beat Pittsburgh who beat Seattle who beat the Giants who beat Buffalo who beat the Pats who beat Oakland who beat the Jets who beat Dallas who beat San Francisco who beat the Lions.

Therefore, is Denver one of the best teams in the league?

nepg
10-19-2011, 10:11 AM
ctTVcKNx8Rk

_YL_
10-19-2011, 10:20 AM
KC might not be that good but Divison games are always pretty much close. Gotta rely on McFadden and the defense stepping up again this week. I'm looking forward being 5-2 heading into the bye week.

CC.SD
10-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Wow, honestly Rex Ryan needs to get his own house in order before firing off shots like these. Totally out of line considering Norv Turner has more rings than him to begin with.

The New York Jets coach took a big shot at San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner (he claims he wasn’t ripping him) on Wednesday. He told San Diego reporters that the Chargers would have won a couple of Super Bowl titles had they chosen him over Turner in 2007.

“Well, I think I would have had a couple rings," Ryan said when asked about how things would have unfolded if he were hired in San Diego. "I'm telling you, those teams were loaded. There's no question about it. But things happen for a reason. Obviously, Norv Turner has done a great job there. And A.J. (Smith) and everybody. That's a great franchise, and he's probably the best guy for the job at that time."

Rex would've saved LT from injury in the postseason, or kicked field goals for Kaeding I'm sure. Probably would have healed Merriman and Gates too.

Follow up:

sdutChargers S.D. U-T Chargers
Norv Turner said he hadn't seen Rex Ryan's quote when Ryan called but would have asked him if he had the rings he's guaranteed w/ the Jets.

Giantsfan1080
10-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Rex loves to hear himself talk. He's a fat ass who hasn't won a thing yet he keeps making proclamations that he's king of all. I'm so sick of his schtick already.

tjsunstein
10-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Rex Ryan should be prohibited from talking about Super Bowls until he at the very least gets to one as a Head Coach.

Giantsfan1080
10-19-2011, 06:35 PM
I think he's claimed he has 5 SB rings already in his 2.5 years with the Jets.

CC.SD
10-19-2011, 06:37 PM
I think he's claimed he has 5 SB rings already in his 2.5 years with the Jets.

Now he is going into the past and claiming those Super Bowls. Fatttyyyyyyy

Bulldogs
10-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Rex Ryan is a great coach, love hearing him talk. He keeps **** interesting.

bucfan12
10-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Rex just beat the Dolphins, so he's on a high and thinks his team is a Super Bowl team again.

I hope the Chargers smack them right in the mouth.

bucfan12
10-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Rex loves to hear himself talk. He's a fat ass who hasn't won a thing yet he keeps making proclamations that he's king of all. I'm so sick of his schtick already.

Let's hope the Jets never win anything with him there because that fat piece of **** will never shut up.

Rabscuttle
10-19-2011, 09:20 PM
At what point does Ryan realize his bluster is beyond ridiculous? He is winless on the road and his 3 home wins have come against teams with a combined record of somewhere around 3 and 14.

Brodeur
10-19-2011, 10:18 PM

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/rex4.jpg

HOW THE **** YOU DOIN' ZAK?

Giantsfan1080
10-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Eerily similar:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Stay-puft-marshmallow-man.jpg

bucfan12
10-19-2011, 10:58 PM
I just heard the video now. Geez. Rex Ryan hasn't won crap in his career. Almost getting to the Super Bowl isn't an accomplishment to shoot your mouth off either. In my opinion, they regressed with losing depth and players from this past offseason and drafted poorly.

I don't see them winning anything any time soon. If they lose to San Diego, I'd say they're in a little bit of trouble. They'd be 2 games behind the Bills and 3 out from the division lead.

CameronCropper
10-19-2011, 11:51 PM
Looking forward to seeing the Bears at Wembley on Sunday.

That being said, will suck should we have a bad day (which we're due) and have to watch them get pummeled by the Buccaneers.

Raiderz4Life
10-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Idc what anyone says...but...Rex Ryan >>>>>>>>>>> Norv Turner. Isn't even close.

Plus Rex is funny. Ppl just love to get their granny panties up in a bunch.

Complex
10-20-2011, 01:12 AM
Rex is right about Norv and the chargers.

Jughead10
10-20-2011, 08:32 AM
This is a brutal week of NFL games.

In my market on network TV I get:

Pitt @ Arizona
Washington @ Carolina
Green Bay @ Minn

So terrible.

Jughead10
10-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Idc what anyone says...but...Rex Ryan >>>>>>>>>>> Norv Turner. Isn't even close.

Plus Rex is funny. Ppl just love to get their granny panties up in a bunch.

They are similar in many ways. Just on opposite sides of the ball. Both should just stay as coordinators.

BeerBaron
10-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Rex might not have rings, but Rex has 2 Conference Champion appearances in 2 season.

Norv has....none? Despite a much more talented team from top to bottom imo.

Jughead10
10-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Rex might not have rings, but Rex has 2 Conference Champion appearances in 2 season.

Norv has....none? Despite a much more talented team from top to bottom imo.

Are they that much more talented? I say it's pretty even and only because of Rivers. Norv has a great QB to work with but otherwise I don't know.

TimmG6376
10-20-2011, 08:40 AM
How about based on him having a monster year thus far and being pumped up to play the Packers at home on the fast track that is the Dome?

He does seem to get up for the Pack and he probably will get a sack or two, but I don't think it will be enough to stifle the offense. In between those plays I see Jennings and Co. putting up some good numbers.

That fast track goes both ways and favors Matthews in his matchup with Charles Johnson. He's due for a breakout game.

Not to mention that Aaron Rodgers has been playing pretty well indoors:
15 Games
31 TD
6 Int
RATING 113.8

San Diego Chicken
10-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Most people in San Diego already agree with Rex Ryan. It's good bulletin board material, however.

bucfan12
10-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Listen, I don't care who's a better coach. Until he wins a Super Bowl, Rex shouldn't criticize any coach for not having a ring. Plain and simple.

Also, Norv Turner has taken the Chargers to a conference championship game, back in the 2007-2008 season where they lost to NEw England.

hockey619
10-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Most people in San Diego already agree with Rex Ryan. It's good bulletin board material, however.

while it may be bulletin board material, what norv said back will be much more motivating to the jets imo.

Rex inadvertantly called norv out, but norv took a shot at rex. And the jets love rex and fight like hell for him. I think this could be huge for them, that extra kick in the pants type of thing that propels them into playing the way theyre supposed to.

bucfan12
10-20-2011, 11:25 AM
while it may be bulletin board material, what norv said back will be much more motivating to the jets imo.

Rex inadvertantly called norv out, but norv took a shot at rex. And the jets love rex and fight like hell for him. I think this could be huge for them, that extra kick in the pants type of thing that propels them into playing the way theyre supposed to.

Hasn't there been some lockerroom issues with Rex though? I'm pretty sure, I think it was Woody, the offensive lineman saying the "speak what's on your mind" philsophy from Rex has brought some turmoil in there lockerroom.

V.I.P
10-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Who cares about Rex Ryan? Let's talk about something more important... Bucs lead the NFL in tackles for loss!

Complex
10-20-2011, 01:28 PM
They are similar in many ways. Just on opposite sides of the ball. Both should just stay as coordinators.

Rex is actually a good head coach, why should he stay as a coordinator?

Thecollegedropout
10-20-2011, 01:31 PM
I love when Giant fans get angry with anything Rex does. Especially with that problem known as Brandon Jacobs on the team.

The whining about Rex from some Giant fans makes me dislike their team, especially after how I was so Pro-Giants when they stopped the Patriots in the SB. Such a shame.
(That being said I will root for them against NE this year)

Thecollegedropout
10-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Rex just beat the Dolphins, so he's on a high and thinks his team is a Super Bowl team again.

I hope the Chargers smack them right in the mouth.
He's spicen up what looks to be a real ****** week of football headlines.

What are the headlines? Tim Tebow is starting in a Denver/Miami game? Carson Palmer's Raider debut? The NFL London game?

We now got a pretty decent storyline heading toward this game in what is on paper one of the top games of the weekend.

Jughead10
10-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Rex is actually a good head coach, why should he stay as a coordinator?

Because he pretty much ignores one whole side of the game.

Thecollegedropout
10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Because he pretty ignores one whole side of the game.
He places too much trust in Schottenheimer to run their offense, that I agree with.

But Norv's had a great defensive coordinator in Ron Rivera for the past few years...and Rivera's D blows Schotty's O away.

Jughead10
10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
He's spicen up what looks to be a real ****** week of football headlines.

What are the headlines? Tim Tebow is starting in a Denver/Miami game? Carson Palmer's Raider debut? The NFL London game?

We now got a pretty decent storyline heading toward this game in what is on paper one of the top games of the weekend.

He's an idiot. Except this time I think he realized it as soon as he said it. Which is why he apologized right away.

Thecollegedropout
10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
He's an idiot. Except this time I think he realized it as soon as he said it. Which is why he apologized right away.
He takes away the talk of Shonn Greene being awful, Plaxico looking lost, any locker room turmoil and Sanchez being inconsistent all this week.

He has been doing this since 2009. I agree I don't think he meant it to be a stab on Norv hence why he tried to do some damage control right away but I think Rex knows what he is doing when it comes to this talk. Can't complain entirely with the results thus far with him as the Jets coach.

The entire team now has an identity.

Jughead10
10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
He places too much trust in Schottenheimer to run their offense, that I agree with.

But Norv's had a great defensive coordinator in Ron Rivera for the past few years...and Rivera's D blows Schotty's O away.

Is it too much trust or ineptitude? Most head coaches who were defensive coordinators leave that mentality behind once they get a head coaching job. Rex hasn't seemed to.

Brodeur
10-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Is it too much trust or ineptitude? Most head coaches who were defensive coordinators leave that mentality behind once they get a head coaching job. Rex hasn't seemed to.

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/rex2.jpg

Listen, Jughead, men. This isn't about the game of offense and supporting that **** Brian Schottenheimer, this is about BLITZING and scaring the **** out of those pussies on the other sideline. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD SPEND TIME FOCUSING ON THAT 17 YEAR OLD ******* NACHO OR BIG DICK SANTONIO OVER THERE? THIS IS ABOUT WINS *****.

Jughead10
10-20-2011, 01:52 PM
The entire team now has an identity.

What is the indentity exactly? I'd say the defense has one. Entire team? I don't know.

Thecollegedropout
10-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Its a trust issue. Rex seems to really trust his players and coaches, even if overly too much at times.

I don't know how Schotty gets away with this though. Eric Mangini was the same way when it came to Schotty....he rode and died with Schottenheimer calling plays. He must really be doing something right to earn this amount of trust.

I do want to wait and see who Rex picks as OC if Schotty is let go. Rex had wanted Hue Jackson after 2009 but Jackson opted to go with Oakland.

Brodeur
10-20-2011, 01:56 PM
I really don't give a **** that Rex Ryan can't coach an offense, he's awesome and I will forever praise the man.

Jughead10
10-20-2011, 01:57 PM
I love when Giant fans get angry with anything Rex does. Especially with that problem known as Brandon Jacobs on the team.

The only problem with Jacobs is he's hurt. I think we just hear it more being in the same media market. Fans of other teams should be lucky.

Giantsfan1080
10-20-2011, 02:30 PM

The whining about Rex from some Giant fans makes me dislike their team, especially after how I was so Pro-Giants when they stopped the Patriots in the SB. Such a shame.
(That being said I will root for them against NE this year)

That's fine because I never rooted against the Jets either until that bozo took over your team. If he wants to talk about how he's going to win the SB every year then at least win it once or maybe even get to one.

Giantsfan1080
10-20-2011, 02:31 PM
The only problem with Jacobs is he's hurt. I think we just hear it more being in the same media market. Fans of other teams should be lucky.

Does Jacobs even talk much anymore? I honestly haven't heard him say anything in a long time. Even Rolle has calmed down a lot because Coughlin got to him.

tjsunstein
10-20-2011, 03:09 PM
"When you drop a pass as a Packers WR," Jason Wilde wrote on Twitter, "you owe the other four WRs a $100 gift card to Best Buy." (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/%22When%20you%20drop%20a%20pass%20as%20a%20Packers %20WR,%22%20he%20wrote%20on%20Twitter,%20%22you%20 owe%20the%20other%20four%20WRs%20a%20$100%20gift%2 0card%20to%20Best%20Buy.%22)

BeerBaron
10-20-2011, 03:18 PM
<insert joke about James Jones being broke here>

BeerBaron
10-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Interesting schedule quirk this week:

Chicago is playing Tampa in London during the 1 o'clock hour. The league really must want people to watch this game.

Notice that the Giants, Eagles and 49ers are all on bye weeks. They're 3 of the 4 largest media markets (other than Chicago) with NFC teams. The 4th, Dallas, plays at 4:15.

That frees up the Fox network in each of those markets during the 1 o'clock hour to show the London game.

Interesting...

Jughead10
10-20-2011, 04:18 PM

Chicago is playing Tampa in London during the 1 o'clock hour. The league really must want people to watch this game.

Notice that the Giants, Eagles and 49ers are all on bye weeks. They're 3 of the 4 largest media markets (other than Chicago) with NFC teams. The 4th, Dallas, plays at 4:15.

That frees up the Fox network in each of those markets during the 1 o'clock hour to show the London game.

Interesting...

A potential 4:15 London game would start at 9:15 local time. Haven't they all been played at 1pm eastern time.

Giantsfan1080
10-20-2011, 04:18 PM

Interesting...

I would have never known the London game was this week. Terrible promotion stateside.

tjsunstein
10-20-2011, 04:21 PM
I would have never known the London game was this week. Terrible promotion stateside.
I heard it mentioned once so far. Why would they try to promote that stateside anyway? Hopefully, they're doing a better job overseas.

Giantsfan1080
10-20-2011, 04:26 PM
I heard it mentioned once so far. Why would they try to promote that stateside anyway? Hopefully, they're doing a better job overseas.

Well using BeerBaron's theory that they gave off the teams in 3 of the 4 largest media markets on purpose to get better ratings for the game then you would think they would have done a better job promoting said game. I'm in one of those media markets and as I just said this was the first time I've even heard that this game was being played this weekend.

MetSox17
10-20-2011, 04:44 PM
That just means they'll get the game by default. The NFL doesn't need to advertise that there's a football game at noon on a Sunday. Everyone just automatically tunes in.

BeerBaron
10-20-2011, 05:23 PM
That just means they'll get the game by default. The NFL doesn't need to advertise that there's a football game at noon on a Sunday. Everyone just automatically tunes in.

Exactly. Was/Car and Atl/Det will still have to be shown in those markets, but everywhere else in the country will get the London game on Fox.

It's a captive audience. People will watch because it'll be on everywhere else.

BeerBaron
10-20-2011, 05:30 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/BeerBaron/Shoe.jpg

We've benched all of our safeties. In their place, we will just toss shoes onto the field in hopes that they trip someone.

Brodeur
10-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Why is there a shoe on the field?

BeerBaron
10-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Someone must have lost it. Why it's sticking straight up I have no idea.

descendency
10-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Tebow saves Miami.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/20/tebow-helps-deliver-sellout-in-south-florida/

I guess Tim Tebow is taking his talents (of selling out stadiums) to South Beach.

Why is there a shoe on the field?

It's Brandon Meriweather's because that's the closest he'll get to making a play this year.

BeerBaron
10-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Jacksonville should have drafted him. They'd have no blackout trouble then.

Ness
10-20-2011, 05:58 PM

I forgot. Nothing on NFL.com. Or rather, nothing glaring that I remember.

niel89
10-20-2011, 06:29 PM
The NFL really doesn't need to be advertised. People will watch because it's sunday and thats when the NFL is on. The only reason sunday/monday night is advertised is to tell us what teams are playing.

Splat
10-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Tony Gonzalez closes in on No. 2 on all-time receptions list (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/20/tony-gonzalez-closes-in-on-no-2-on-all-time-receptions-list/)

Having already reached statistical milestones that no other tight end has ever accomplished in NFL history, Tony Gonzalez (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1331/tony-gonzalez) is now closing in on statistical territory thatís been reached by only one wide receiver in NFL history.

If he catches four passes for the Falcons against the Lions on Sunday, Gonzalez will move into second place on the NFLís all-time receiving list, behind only Jerry Rice. Gonzalez currently has 1,099 catches in his career, just behind Cris Carter (1,101) and Marvin Harrison (1,102).

Hurricanes25
10-20-2011, 06:51 PM

Interesting...
For the record, there is no FOX game at 1 o'clock in the New York market.

BeerBaron
10-20-2011, 06:53 PM
For the record, there is no FOX game at 1 o'clock in the New York market.

Hmm....interesting. Do you get two in the afternoon then?

Hurricanes25
10-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Hmm....interesting. Do you get two in the afternoon then?

Not this week for whatever reason. Jets/Chargers on CBS at 1 and then Packers/Vikings at 4 on Fox, meh.

BeerBaron
10-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Not this week for whatever reason. Jets/Chargers on CBS at 1 and then Packers/Vikings at 4 on Fox, meh.

Lame. I hate it when there's only one game on at time.

CC.SD
10-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Now Cro is taking shots at Weddle...seriously this Jets team is the gift that keeps on giving.

Brodeur
10-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Now Cro is taking shots at Weddle...seriously this Jets team is the gift that keeps on giving.

bHe1AT-rk50

Hurricanes25
10-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Weddle actually started this one. When Cro signed with the Jets, Weddle said the team was better off without him.

Brodeur
10-20-2011, 07:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/20/maybe-its-tiki-time-in-motown/

Why does Mike Florio have a job?

CC.SD
10-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Pure BS conjecture. They will end up panty raiding a practice squad. I know that just 'raiding' would have sufficed there, but go big or go home I say.

Complex
10-20-2011, 07:34 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/20/maybe-its-tiki-time-in-motown/

Why does Mike Florio have a job?

He said that Marshal Faulk was a system runningback on the Dan Patrick Show.

bigbluedefense
10-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Wow this week really sucks. I was hoping I could see some quality matchups during the Giants bye. Hopefully watching the games at hooters will make them more tolerable.

CC.SD
10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
He said that Marshal Faulk was a system runningback on the Dan Patrick Show.

Wow that's a bad one. A really bad one.

bigbluedefense
10-20-2011, 07:42 PM
I still have a hard time accepting SF as a legit team. I'm just waiting for them to become SF again, but to their credit, they beat legit teams. How are they doing it? I know their defense is pretty good, but has it been dominant?

Giantsfan1080
10-20-2011, 09:21 PM
I still have a hard time accepting SF as a legit team. I'm just waiting for them to become SF again, but to their credit, they beat legit teams. How are they doing it? I know their defense is pretty good, but has it been dominant?

Finally having a real coach helps.

BeerBaron
10-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Harbaugh has that team straight balling. Their schedule from here on our is piss poor too. The only game they shouldn't be favored in is the the Ravens. The Giants is a toss up. They should beat the Steelers...

At any rate, they could easily end up 13-3, 12-4 and possibly be looking at homefield in the NFC. That's crazy. If they even get close to that, Harbaugh should be Coach of the Year no question.

JagWired32
10-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Pumped for the Jags MNF game. Definetely should be good. I hope MSW works hard like he was a couple years ago and helps out Gabbert, our WR corps is terrible.

JagWired32
10-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Finally having a real coach helps.

haha, definetely. Im shocked by how they are playing though, i knew they had some talent but man.

49erNation85
10-20-2011, 10:07 PM
9ers 9ers 9ers 9ers!! Just wait until our passing game gets off the ground.We will own the NFC west folks.Only game I'm worried is Ravens maybe Steelers if we get sloppy.

bucfan12
10-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Pumped for the Jags MNF game. Definetely should be good. I hope MSW works hard like he was a couple years ago and helps out Gabbert, our WR corps is terrible.

Are you being serious? I'm expecting a blowout, but whatever. Sims Walker was cut by the Rams, who have one of the worst WR core in the NFL. That's not saying much.

tjsunstein
10-20-2011, 11:16 PM
You might be the only Jaguars fan pumped to get embarrassed on TV in front of thousands, because millions would never watch the Jaguars.

JBCX
10-21-2011, 06:58 AM

They probably have the best defense in the NFC right now. They definitely have the best 3-4 front seven in the NFC, and maybe the entire NFL. The special teams are above-average, and Alex Smith is playing just well enough that he won't lose games for them.

I could actually see the 49ers upsetting a team like the Packers in the playoffs. At any rate, they're basically guaranteed a first round playoff bye at this point and will likely be the #2 seed in the playoffs.

cmarq83
10-21-2011, 07:01 AM
They probably have the best defense in the NFC right now. They definitely have the best 3-4 front seven in the NFC, and maybe the entire NFL. The special teams are above-average, and Alex Smith is playing just well enough that he won't lose games for them.

I could actually see the 49ers upsetting a team like the Packers in the playoffs. At any rate, they're basically guaranteed a first round playoff bye at this point and will likely be the #2 seed in the playoffs.

With that massive 1 game lead they have for the bye with 10 games remaining?

JBCX
10-21-2011, 07:04 AM
With that massive 1 game lead they have for the bye with 10 games remaining?

I base this on the following rationale: The NFC East winner will almost surely have a worse record than the 49ers, and the NFC South winner will probably be 11-5 at best. The 49ers are all but guaranteed to win their division, so as long as they have a better record than the NFC East winner and the NFC South winner, which will be relatively easy to do with a weak schedule, they are guaranteed that #2 seed behind the Packers.

cmarq83
10-21-2011, 07:13 AM
I base this on the following rationale: The NFC East winner will almost surely have a worse record than the 49ers, and the NFC South winner will probably be 11-5 at best. The 49ers are all but guaranteed to win their division, so as long as they have a better record than the NFC East winner and the NFC South winner, which will be relatively easy to do with a weak schedule, they are guaranteed that #2 seed behind the Packers.

It's too early to call that right now. The 9ers have a new coach, and oftentimes that can lead to hot starts out of the gates. Look at what happened to the Broncos a few years ago in a division that was arguably as bad as the NFC West. They still have some games where they'll probably be the underdogs against the Ravens and Steelers. I'm not sure we can rely on them to be consistent enough through the season to win games that they should win. Teams like the Giants and the Saints aren't going to go away easily for that bye.

tjsunstein
10-21-2011, 07:18 AM
49ers will absolutely not be the #2 seed heading into the playoffs. I'm willing to bet that they actually back into the playoffs with a 9-7 or 8-8 record. They're playing well above their talent level right now. Especially on defense. Their offense needs to get going in the worst way or I could see a losing streak coming on.

bucfan12
10-21-2011, 07:29 AM
49ers will absolutely not be the #2 seed heading into the playoffs. I'm willing to bet that they actually back into the playoffs with a 9-7 or 8-8 record. They're playing well above their talent level right now. Especially on defense. Their offense needs to get going in the worst way or I could see a losing streak coming on.

They're playing well right now, but it's only through 7 weeks. Look how well that played for the Falcons last year. They dominated through the regular season and didn't win any important games down the stretch last year and that led to a blowout in the playoffs.

Alex Smith maybe playing good now, but I think he's going to be the one that brings them down in the end. There front 7 is very good on defense and that will keep them in games. But they're playing well above there offensive talent.

It's too early to gurantee they'll be the #2 seed in the NFC and upset the Packers in the playoffs.

JBCX
10-21-2011, 07:29 AM

Their defense is legit. It's not a fluke. They have maybe the best 3-4 front seven in the game, and definitely the best 3-4 front seven in the NFC.

I'll be shocked if they lose more than 4 games this year, based on the weakness of their remaining schedule:

Browns
@ Redskins
Giants
Cardinals
@ Ravens
Rams
@ Cardinals
Steelers
@ Seahawks
@Rams

I see them losing to the Ravens, and either one of the Giants or Steelers, but not both. They will probably lose a game somewhere to their division, but definitely not more than two.

They're no way they finish worse than 11-5 with that schedule, and 12-4 or better is a very realistic possibility.

tjsunstein
10-21-2011, 07:30 AM
I wouldn't say that Alex Smith is going to bring them down but he certainly isn't putting them over the top.

JBCX
10-21-2011, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't say that Alex Smith is going to bring them down but he certainly isn't putting them over the top.

When you have a highly talented defense, and a solid special teams, the QB doesn't need to be any more than a game manager who is safe with the football, which is exactly what Jim Harbaugh has Alex Smith doing right now.

bucfan12
10-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Their defense is legit. It's not a fluke. They have maybe the best 3-4 front seven in the game, and definitely the best 3-4 front seven in the NFC.

I'll be shocked if they lose more than 4 games this year, based on the weakness of their remaining schedule:

Browns
@ Redskins
Giants
Cardinals
@ Ravens
Rams
@ Cardinals
Steelers
@ Seahawks
@Rams

I see them losing to the Ravens, and either one of the Giants or Steelers, but not both. They will probably lose a game somewhere to their division, but definitely not more than two.

They're no way they finish worse than 11-5 with that schedule, and 12-4 or better is a very realistic possibility.

Or they could pull a 2009 Denver Broncos and win 2 games after the bye week. Broncos went into there bye week outperforming there talent level and came back to earth. The Niners are very similar in my opinon, as they are playing above tehre talent on offense.

It's dumb to look ahead at the schedule anymore and predict "sure" wins.

tjsunstein
10-21-2011, 07:39 AM
When you have a highly talented defense, and a solid special teams, the QB doesn't need to be any more than a game manager who is safe with the football, which is exactly what Jim Harbaugh has Alex Smith doing right now.
Highly talented and overachieving are very, very different. And I'm going to say that they are overachieving.

BeerBaron
10-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Highly talented and overachieving are very, very different. And I'm going to say that they are overachieving.

You sound a little scared of them....

As has been pointed out a few times, their schedule is horrifically easy from here on out. The only game left they shouldn't be favored in is the Ravens game. The Giants game is a toss up at worst and the Steelers struggle when they're not playing pushovers like the Seahawks and Jags.

And quite honestly, they underachieved with Singletary. I don't think they're overachieving now, they're just not underachieving anymore.

The defense is playing well and they have a great young group of linebackers with Willis, Bowman and Aldon Smith looking decent. Alex Smith only needs to manage the offense and let Gore and Davis do work, and they'll eventually get Crabtree and Edwards healthy.

They're 5-1 now (with only an overtime loss to the Cowboys,) and would have to absolutely collapse to go 8-8 or 9-7 like you're saying. And their schedule is impossibly easy.

Are they a Superbowl caliber team? Unlikely. But could they be a 12-4 team who earns a bye week thanks to a crazy easy schedule? Absolutely.

Look at their schedule and try to find some losses. Let's say they lose the Ravens and then lose to one of the Giants or Steelers. They could then get tripped up and still be 11-5 which was good enough for the #2 seed last year in the NFC.

Jughead10
10-21-2011, 07:53 AM

I agree with overachieving. They won't be able to keep this up with 171 passing yard a game. Not in today's NFL.

jrdrylie
10-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Browns
@ Redskins
Giants
Cardinals
@ Ravens
Rams
@ Cardinals
Steelers
@ Seahawks
@Rams

Traveling across the country and playing the Redskins won't be easy. They'll almost certainly lose to the Ravens. They might be able to split the Giants and Steelers. And I think they lose a division game. 10-6 is what I see and that won't be good enough for a bye.

BeerBaron
10-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Traveling across the country and playing the Redskins won't be easy. They'll almost certainly lose to the Ravens. They might be able to split the Giants and Steelers. And I think they lose a division game. 10-6 is what I see and that won't be good enough for a bye.

The Redskins should not be favored over anyone with John Beck at QB.

JBCX
10-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Believe it or not, the 49ers 3-4 front seven is actually more talented than the Packers'.

3-4 DE Justin Smith anchors their front three alongside Isaac Sopogoa and Ray McDonald. Justin Smith alone is a better pass rusher and run-stuffer of a DL than anything the Packers have at DE or DT. And I'd take Sopogoa as NT over Raji, who is inconsistent, especially this year.

The ILBs are the best in the NFL. Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman are like Batman and Robin. Willis you should know is a beast and easily the best ILB in the NFL, but if you watch the 49ers you'll see that Bowman is almost his equal. The two together form an inpenetrable duo in the middle against the run and a shutdown combo against TEs and RBs in the passing game. I think it goes without saying that elite athletes Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman are far superior to the slow AJ Hawk and Desmond Bishop.

Aldon Smith is an extremely talented rookie pass rusher who is recently playing at a high level at OLB. He had 2 sacks last week against the Lions. Ahmad Brooks starts opposite Smith as OLB, and he's a solid bookend rusher. Now, Clay Matthews is probably better right now than either one of these guys, but if we're talking OLBs as a unit, I'd easily take Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks together over Clay Matthews and a bunch of scrubs. Especially because Aldon Smith has tremendous upside as a top-10 pick with elite athleticism: he already looks like a future Demarcus Ware, so in time, even as early as 2012, he may be better than Matthews.

So let's see: 49ers DL is probably better than the Packers, the ILBs are *definitely* better than the Packers, and the OLBs are, as a whole, slightly better than the Packers' OLBs as a whole (because its nothing but Matthews and a few scrubs while the 49ers have legit bookend rushers).

Now, you could say the Packers have an edge in the secondary, but with Nick Collins out for the year, I might not even be so sure about that. But regardless, I think you have to give the "talent" edge in the entire front seven to the 49ers. It's no wonder that they're 2nd in the NFL in scoring defense.

cmarq83
10-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Believe it or not, the 49ers 3-4 front seven is actually more talented than the Packers'.

3-4 DE Justin Smith anchors their front three alongside Isaac Sopogoa and Ray McDonald. Justin Smith alone is a better pass rusher and run-stuffer of a DL than anything the Packers have at DE or DT. And I'd take Sopogoa as NT over Raji, who is inconsistent, especially this year.

The ILBs are the best in the NFL. Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman are like Batman and Robin. Willis you should know is a beast and easily the best ILB in the NFL, but if you watch the 49ers you'll see that Bowman is almost his equal. The two together form an inpenetrable duo in the middle against the run and a shutdown combo against TEs and RBs in the passing game. I think it goes without saying that elite athletes Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman are far superior to the slow AJ Hawk and Desmond Bishop.

Aldon Smith is an extremely talented rookie pass rusher who is recently playing at a high level at OLB. He had 2 sacks last week against the Lions. Ahmad Brooks starts opposite Smith as OLB, and he's a solid bookend rusher. Now, Clay Matthews is probably better right now than either one of these guys, but if we're talking OLBs as a unit, I'd easily take Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks together over Clay Matthews and a bunch of scrubs. Especially because Aldon Smith has tremendous upside as a top-10 pick with elite athleticism: he already looks like a future Demarcus Ware, so in time, even as early as 2012, he may be better than Matthews.

So let's see: 49ers DL is probably better than the Packers, the ILBs are *definitely* better than the Packers, and the OLBs are, as a whole, slightly better than the Packers' OLBs as a whole (because its nothing but Matthews and a few scrubs while the 49ers have legit bookend rushers).

Now, you could say the Packers have an edge in the secondary, but with Nick Collins out for the year, I might not even be so sure about that. But regardless, I think you have to give the "talent" edge in the entire front seven to the 49ers. It's no wonder that they're 2nd in the NFL in scoring defense.

The problem with your points about the 49ers vs. the Packers is that the Pack will just spread them out and neutralize that front 7 similarly to how the Patriots attack the Steelers every year. They can take advantage of an average secondary by forcing some of those LB's off the field and hitting short precise routes against the 49ers CB's. Aaron Rodgers is a great quick strike QB and I wouldn't doubt that he could put up 30 very easily on that 49ers defense. I can't say the same for the 49ers offense. Also I think you're overrating Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks. They're off to a great start, but Brooks has been anything but consistent in his career and Smith is a very raw rookie. Both have enormous potential though, but neither of them are anywhere near Matthews class yet.

BeerBaron
10-21-2011, 08:24 AM
While Matthews is definitely head and shoulders better than either of San Fran's guys individually, as a unit, San Fran's is better. You can double team (and hold apparently ;) ) Matthews with no major consequence since they lack any other real pass rushing threats.

JBCX
10-21-2011, 08:27 AM
The problem with your points about the 49ers vs. the Packers is that the Pack will just spread them out and neutralize that front 7 similarly to how the Patriots attack the Steelers every year. They can take advantage of an average secondary by forcing some of those LB's off the field and hitting short precise routes against the 49ers CB's. Aaron Rodgers is a great quick strike QB and I wouldn't doubt that he could put up 30 very easily on that 49ers defense. I can't say the same for the 49ers offense. Also I think you're overrating Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks. They're off to a great start, but Brooks has been anything but consistent in his career and Smith is a very raw rookie. Both have enormous potential though, but neither of them are anywhere near Matthews class yet.

I was mostly addressing the issue of 49ers talent vs. their performance thus far. I think their defense is legit, but others such as tjunstein do not. I'm not here to forecast how the 49ers would do in a playoff matchup vs the Packers, because that remains to be seen, obviously. Right now I think they are talented enough to continue playing well on defense and roll to a 12-4 record.

My point about Clay Matthews vs. the 49ers OLBs was that individually, they may not be as solid a player as Matthews, but I'll take Smith+Brooks as a duo at OLB over Matthews+scrubs, which is what the Packers have, collectively, at OLB.

And in terms of raw "talent", it's hard to beat Aldon Smith who has all the upside of a top-10 draft pick. Tjunstein was arguing that the talent of the 49ers defense was inferior and that they were "overachieveing" - clearly they are as talented, if not more talented, than most of the defenses in the NFL.

cmarq83
10-21-2011, 08:28 AM
While Matthews is definitely head and shoulders better than either of San Fran's guys individually, as a unit, San Fran's is better. You can double team (and hold apparently ;) ) Matthews with no major consequence since they lack any other real pass rushing threats.

I need to see those 2 do it against more than the Chicago's, Tampa Bay's and Detroit's of the world before I'm going to anoint either of them consistent pass rushers.

BeerBaron
10-21-2011, 08:31 AM
I need to see those 2 do it against more than the Chicago's, Tampa Bay's and Detroit's of the world before I'm going to anoint either of them consistent pass rushers.

Ha, San Fran hasn't played Chicago smart guy!

cmarq83
10-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Ha, San Fran hasn't played Chicago smart guy!

My mistake, I shouldn't try to do these things from memory. Take your pick then of Seattle, Cincinnati, or Phili then.

JBCX
10-21-2011, 08:37 AM
My mistake, I shouldn't try to do these things from memory. Take your pick then of Seattle, Cincinnati, or Phili then.

Whereas Clay Matthews has played against the likes of the Rams (one of the worst OL in football), the Falcons (again, one of the worst pass-blocking OL in football), the Bears (nuff said), the Panthers, Saints, and Broncos.

And he only has 2 total sacks against those teams?

cmarq83
10-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Whereas Clay Matthews has played against the likes of the Rams (one of the worst OL in football), the Falcons (again, one of the worst pass-blocking OL in football), the Bears (nuff said), the Panthers, Saints, and Broncos.

And he only has 2 total sacks against those teams?

Matthews has 2 ten sack seasons in as many seasons, and has proven himself capable in this league (even though I'm not the biggest Matthews fan). Brooks has 4 full years and has never surpassed 6 sacks, and Aldon Smith has played 6 games.

JBCX
10-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Matthews has 2 ten sack seasons in as many seasons, and has proven himself capable in this league (even though I'm not the biggest Matthews fan). Brooks has 4 full years and has never surpassed 6 sacks, and Aldon Smith has played 6 games.

Regardless of what anyone has done in the past, what matters is now, and Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks are playing better at OLB *right now* than anything the Packers have, even Matthews.

And quality of competition is not an excuse, because as I noticed above, they have all had opportunities to go up against inferior competition.

BeerBaron
10-21-2011, 08:45 AM

I wasn't being serious...I just don't get to feel less terrible about our o-line very often.

The 49ers have not yet had the privilege of attacking the Bears o-line.

bucfan12
10-21-2011, 01:17 PM
I think people need to take a look at the philly/SF game in the 1st half (Before mike Vick's ints that gave them the game and Andy Reids poor playcalling).

This is what teams have't done on San Fransisco that will expose there poor secondary. Split out 4 wide and take some of those pass rushers off the field. Quick slants and go routes and mix in some single back runs and that will break them down. Kind of what the Packers and Patriots do.

cmarq83
10-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Regardless of what anyone has done in the past, what matters is now, and Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks are playing better at OLB *right now* than anything the Packers have, even Matthews.

And quality of competition is not an excuse, because as I noticed above, they have all had opportunities to go up against inferior competition.

If we're basing it off of so far than yes, but also if all that mattered to get a bye was to have the best record by week 6 then we wouldn't be having a discussion about the 49ers being locks either. For me if I'm taking the best OLB's I'm going with the team which has a known commodity vs. one who has one guy outproducing his career totals, and another guy who is 6 games into his career. If we go off Matthew's career so far he could explode any week now.

DcmRulz
10-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Another week, another bears game that will no doubt be nationally televised. 4 of 7 so far? anyway. London time, first time that both teams are actually playoff good (instead of the crapfests or one-sided games that were sent to london in years past, and no, i'm not saying all this to distract myself from Ponder's first start against the Packers that will no doubt make me cry, not at all)

DcmRulz
10-21-2011, 06:43 PM
I think people need to take a look at the philly/SF game in the 1st half (Before mike Vick's ints that gave them the game and Andy Reids poor playcalling).

This is what teams have't done on San Fransisco that will expose there poor secondary. Split out 4 wide and take some of those pass rushers off the field. Quick slants and go routes and mix in some single back runs and that will break them down. Kind of what the Packers and Patriots do.

seems like a lot of teams can be taken down this way this year, hence why New England and Green Bay are 11-1 this year

Breed
10-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Another week, another bears game that will no doubt be nationally televised. 4 of 7 so far? anyway. London time, first time that both teams are actually playoff good (instead of the crapfests or one-sided games that were sent to london in years past, and no, i'm not saying all this to distract myself from Ponder's first start against the Packers that will no doubt make me cry, not at all)

Matt Forte will harass those LBs all game long in the passing game.

General Zod
10-22-2011, 10:21 AM
The dumbass finally starts playing well, and he's going to be stuck in jail till monday. So no Cook, or Winfield against the Packers, starting a rookie QB....yeah this is going to be ugly.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1120117&nid=5565106&fhn=1

Borat
10-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Their offense needs to get going in the worst way or I could see a losing streak coming on.

Wait, didn't they just put up 48 points in the game before last?

Complex
10-22-2011, 01:45 PM
The dumbass finally starts playing well, and he's going to be stuck in jail till monday. So no Cook, or Winfield against the Packers, starting a rookie QB....yeah this is going to be ugly.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1120117&nid=5565106&fhn=1

I laughed, what a dumbass.

Hines
10-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Aaron Smith to the IR once again. Sad, very sad. His career is over more than likely.

M.O.T.H.
10-22-2011, 02:46 PM
An 0-5 team starting A.J. Feeley? Dallas better roll this team or we have a problem.

It's time to put an end to these close games. Seriously, its been 11 straight games separated by 4 points or less. Enough is enough.

M.O.T.H.
10-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Tomorrow should be a good day. Alternating watching Tebow and Cammy Cam during the 1 PM games. And then what should be a Dallas beat down of St. Louis at 4:15.

49erNation85
10-22-2011, 03:21 PM
To bad the Denver game won't be on TV here in WA they will show crappy SD vs Jets I'm sure. Maybe I will get lucky.

Breed
10-22-2011, 03:39 PM
An 0-5 team starting A.J. Feeley? Dallas better roll this team or we have a problem.

It's time to put an end to these close games. Seriously, its been 11 straight games separated by 4 points or less. Enough is enough.

Sammy Bradford benched? about time St. Louis realized he was terrible.

Giantsfan1080
10-22-2011, 03:40 PM

Injury. Get real. Even if Bradford was playing bad Feeley is better than no one.

Brodeur
10-22-2011, 03:43 PM
AJ Feeley, Matt Moore, and Kyle Boller starting on the same day, oh it's gonna be a good day.

jrdrylie
10-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Listening to Goodell, it looks like he really wants to move the Bucs to London. He said that he wants a team to play regularly in London to build a fan base and then eventually move that team over there. He didn't say it would be Tampa, but this is the second time the Bucs have played there and the Glazers already own Man U. Add in the fact that Tampa Bay can't sell out a game and I think we'll be seeing the London Buccaneers in about five years.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15792688/goodell-london-regulars-could-lead-to-franchise-in-england

Raiderz4Life
10-22-2011, 03:52 PM

lol thats funny right there idc who you are thats funny

Rabscuttle
10-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Aaron Smith to the IR once again. Sad, very sad. His career is over more than likely.

He has been a treat to watch over the course of his career. One of the guys I wanted the Niners to pick up years ago in free agency that never happened.

bigbluedefense
10-22-2011, 04:00 PM
I much rather see Pryor then Boller. We already know Boller sucks, might as well see if Pryor can run for some first downs.

V.I.P
10-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Listening to Goodell, it looks like he really wants to move the Bucs to London. He said that he wants a team to play regularly in London to build a fan base and then eventually move that team over there. He didn't say it would be Tampa, but this is the second time the Bucs have played there and the Glazers already own Man U. Add in the fact that Tampa Bay can't sell out a game and I think we'll be seeing the London Buccaneers in about five years.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15792688/goodell-london-regulars-could-lead-to-franchise-in-england

Bucs GM Mark Dominik was actually talking about this yesterday. He said he wouldn't mind an annual game ther, but wwe're not gonna relocate. The idea is pretty dumb in general though. Traveling to the US every other week, jet lag would be horrific.

vidae
10-22-2011, 04:05 PM
I love Chiefs / Raiders games. I can't wait.

Giantsfan1080
10-22-2011, 04:05 PM

Such a terrible idea.

tjsunstein
10-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Keep the NFL in the USA. Seriously, how much money does one need to milk out of this? Build a fan base in London, for what reason?

Giantsfan1080
10-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Keep the NFL in the USA. Seriously, how much money does one need to milk out of this? Build a fan base in London, for what reason?

The British Pound is worth more than the US Dollar so more $$$$$$$$$$.

Rabscuttle
10-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Such a terrible idea.

I agree, move them to Dublin instead. 8000 drunken Irish would be a far better crowd than 80000 limeys.

nobodyinparticular
10-22-2011, 04:26 PM
And East Coast teams complain about the trek to the west coast? How would it work having a team across the Atlantic? If you want to branch out into Europe, make a gd European league. Oh wait. That didn't work. Maybe that will tell you something about the foray into regular games in Europe.

jrdrylie
10-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Bucs GM Mark Dominik was actually talking about this yesterday. He said he wouldn't mind an annual game ther, but wwe're not gonna relocate. The idea is pretty dumb in general though. Traveling to the US every other week, jet lag would be horrific.

The GM has no say over whether a team stays in their current city or relocates.

bucfan12
10-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Moving the Bucs would be a terrible idea. Having to travel to the US 8 times a year is absolutely crazy. Teams struggle enough making a west to east coast trip and east to west coast trip. Europe to US trip? Dumb idea.

There's a reason why both Chicago and Tampa Bay have a bye next week. Take time to get acclimated back to there time zones.

V.I.P
10-22-2011, 08:43 PM
The GM has no say over whether a team stays in their current city or relocates.

Still will never happen though.

Borat
10-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Well, I'd imagine they'd make the schedule where the Bucs would play at least 2 weeks in a row on the road. Then the team could just stay in the States rather than travel back and forth so many times.

It's still a very poor idea and I just can't see a good reason to do this other than as a money grab.

Pat Sims 90
10-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Moving the Bucs would be a terrible idea. Having to travel to the US 8 times a year is absolutely crazy. Teams struggle enough making a west to east coast trip and east to west coast trip. Europe to US trip? Dumb idea.

There's a reason why both Chicago and Tampa Bay have a bye next week. Take time to get acclimated back to there time zones.

Really no worse then a Eastern team traveling West or Western Team traveling East

Tampa Bay when then more then likely start selling out everygame.

BeerBaron
10-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Really no worse then a Eastern team traveling West or Western Team traveling East

Tampa Bay when then more then likely start selling out everygame.

Eventually, the Western team will have to play the England team and that's when things get difficult. That's what.... a 10 hour swing from the west coast to England? Too much.

nepg
10-23-2011, 05:11 AM
I like how much sense it makes for the team named the Buccaneers to be "England's Team". Makes good sense!

cmarq83
10-23-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm trying to decide which 1:00 game I should put most of my attention to.

On one hand there are the division rival Jets playing a very good San Diego team which could knock the Jets into a very tough spot. There is going to be a great matchup between V-Jax/Revis in that game.

but on the other hand

Tebowzzzzzzzzzz

nepg
10-23-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm trying to decide which 1:00 game I should put most of my attention to.

On one hand there are the division rival Jets playing a very good San Diego team which could knock the Jets into a very tough spot. There is going to be a great matchup between V-Jax/Revis in that game.

but on the other hand

Tebowzzzzzzzzzz
The choice is obvious: Tebowzzzz

The Chargers-Jets game is probably going to be a slopfest 16-13 or some **** game.

Sloopy
10-23-2011, 09:46 AM

I know this is a football forum and I don't wanna get too political, but way to just say "**** YOU GAS SHORTAGE." That would mean chartering 1-2 planes every week for a cross Atlantic flight, just to play a game in England; A country which does not give a **** about football. Any time there was a good soccer game on your stadium would be empty and no one would be tuning in.

DcmRulz
10-23-2011, 09:52 AM
First time this year I can actually look forward to watching the local team play, and it's still for the other team. It's Tebow Time!

I do want to see the london game though; It might actually be a good one.

nepg
10-23-2011, 09:54 AM
They'd have to divide their schedule into quarters. 4 home, 4 away, etc. The rest of the league might not like it, but it seems like the way to go. Also, teams traveling to England would have to have their BYE week scheduled accordingly (would it be better before or after?).

But the best way to promote football in Europe is to bring NFL Europe back (call it something else), and treat it like MLS. Bring in NFL teams for pre-season "friendlies". Things that Euros can relate to.

JBCX
10-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Over/under on number of sacks by Rob Ryan's defense on AJ Feeley today?

13.5? 20?

nepg
10-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Worst fantasy desperation move ever: Signed Kyle Boller to start today... I have Bradford and my backup is Blaine Gabbert (v. Baltimore). FML

_YL_
10-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Matt Cassel career against Oakland as a Chief 74 comp 141 att 788 3 TD's 6 int far from great or even good. And we always done a great job sacking him and that was before Oakland got blitz happy. So I Don't see him doing any better. Without J. Charles I don't see how it can get any better. It will be the 3rd straight home sell out for Oakland. And who have the Chiefs beat? A Vikings team who has 1 win and a win less Colts team lol. Don't know who the QB will be for Oakland but all they have to do it hand the ball of to McFadden. And also expect Pryor to get in with some trick plays.

Oakland 5-2 for the first time since 2001 I believe.

ElectricEye
10-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Eventually, the Western team will have to play the England team and that's when things get difficult. That's what.... a 10 hour swing from the west coast to England? Too much.

If travels times is the only reason people can think of not to do it, it just makes me all the more sure the NFL will go through with it and worry about that kind of stuff later. There's a chance to make a TON of money with a team in London if you can get the country to take to the game(and even if you can't, you'll still likely be doing better than a city like Tampa or Jacksonville). I doubt the league cares that the players will be tired....and the idea of jetlag is being overstated by a lot here.

asdf1223
10-23-2011, 10:30 AM
http://a.yfrog.com/img532/5731/m4sk.jpg There is a 30 minute wait for the tailgate. There wont be an NFL franchise in London anytime but its great that there's growing interest in the game. Also, it's great for leverage anytime a city here wont build a new stadium for a team. London's basically the next LA for the NFL.

tjsunstein
10-23-2011, 10:58 AM
A 4:15 date with Adrian Peterson and the Vikings is the only thing I'm worried about today. Let's get to 7-0.

MetSox17
10-23-2011, 11:06 AM
You're going up against Christian Ponder and a corner-less Vikings secondary. Shouldn't be too difficult.

lex
10-23-2011, 11:08 AM
I live in europe and i'm a huge football fan but i don't want any NFL team playing here. I think it makes no sense. I would like football to develop here but with local teams and players. Unfortunately it's a minor sport here, far away behind soccer, rugby, basketball and even handball.

V.I.P
10-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I had a dream we won 31-14 ;) Damn i wanna go back to sleep..

Complex
10-23-2011, 11:54 AM
I just picked Gronk because some guy (who hasn't been in awhile) dropped because he had bye, so happy.

V.I.P
10-23-2011, 11:55 AM
I had a dream we won 31-14 ;) Damn i wanna go back to sleep..

Looks like Warren Sapp had the same dream as me....

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/09000d5d8235fcbf/Bold-predictions?module=HP11_cp

M.O.T.H.
10-23-2011, 11:56 AM
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/tim_tebow_(2).jpg

Brodeur
10-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Talk about your songs, talk about your 3:16, TEBOW 3:16 SAYS I JUST WHIPPED YOUR ASS.

Giantsfan1080
10-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Cowher is an ass for giving Spags a hard time about bringing the team to the WS. I hope that man does not become our coach ever.

Hines
10-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm stuck watching the ******* Brown-Seahawk game. Then I get to miss the Steeler game because of work. Worst. Sunday. Ever.

DcmRulz
10-23-2011, 12:00 PM
So much Tebow here.

Breed
10-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Singing the US national anthem in London is a douche move!

M.O.T.H.
Sam Hurd is going to become an international Super Star today. lol.

I'm shocked it's not raining at this Wembley game.

49erNation85
Dam wtf CBS doesn't eve have a game on serious wow.Terrible football coverage on TV today.Wish I had NFL ticket gr oh well.Good thing fonline footbball. and why are they showing the pos london crap on the hawks game lol

Brodeur
10-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Jay Cutler does not care for your queen.

draftguru151
10-23-2011, 12:03 PM
TEBOW TIME!!!!!!!!i

ImBrotherCain
10-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Singing the US national anthem in London is a douche move!

Haha I was wondering if the Brits thought this was odd.

Hurricanes25
10-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Good job Keller. UGH.

Brodeur
I hate Scott Linehan.

49erNation85
TEBOW TIME IN DENVER!And the crowd goes nuts. Poor Dolphin fans ha .

Hines
The Jets are so bad.

Brodeur
10-23-2011, 12:08 PM
First quarter Stafford is worse than Kyle Boller.

Thecollegedropout
Can't wait to see someone blame that on Sanchez...Has ZERO protection and he still got the ball to Keller who needs to make the damn catch.

M.O.T.H.
Oh Cammy Cam, that was sick. 25 yard run.

tjsunstein
10-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Can't wait to see someone blame that on Sanchez...Has ZERO protection and he still got the ball to Keller who needs to make the damn catch.
Someone is a little salty over how many people are realizing Sanchez is nothing more than average.

V.I.P
10-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Earnest graham 150+ rushing today, you heard it here first

nepg
10-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Tebow's first pass... WTF was that?!

BloodBrother
10-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Horrible throw by Ryan gets picked off

tjsunstein
So, that's where Kregg Lumpkin is.

Brodeur
I <3 Eric Wright.

draftguru151
Dansby drops an easy Tebow INT. :(

49erNation85
10-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Only one pass for tebow and it was not very good one.Need to open up for down field for him no dink passing here.

ATLDirtyBirds
Horrible throw by Ryan gets picked off

Seriously, what the ****.

Xonraider
I'm stuck watching the ******* Brown-Seahawk game. Then I get to miss the Steeler game because of work. Worst. Sunday. Ever.

That's easily the least interesting game ever.

Brodeur
10-23-2011, 12:13 PM
I hope Jeff Backus rots in hell.

49erNation85
10-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Hines at least you have a game on CBS.The CBS in my area decide to play any game I was like wtf seriously.Glad I watch my games online any how.

DcmRulz
10-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Um, what just happened to Detroit's blocking?

BloodBrother
10-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Nice stop by the ATL defense there

ATLDirtyBirds
10-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Sean Weatherspoon is really really good. Take notice.

Pat Sims 90
10-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Why do i have to sit here on sunday and only be able to watch Cleveland-Seattle.

BeerBaron
10-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Hines at least you have a game on CBS.The CBS in my area decide to play any game I was like wtf seriously.Glad I watch my games online any how.

No game on CBS. I know it wouldn't do anything, but I'm seriously considering writing to the NFL complaining about the secondary market BS, and not allowing doubleheaders on both stations. It's stupid.

No one, not even Seattle or Cleveland, really cares about this ******* game. And my internet feeds have been so ludicrously buggy this year that they're basically unwatchable.

SuperMcGee
10-23-2011, 12:17 PM
That's easily the least interesting game ever.

I'm way excited for Clipboard Jesus.

BloodBrother
Stafford getting his hand checked on the sideline

BeerBaron
Additionally, I have a nice TV. I don't want to watch my games on a little buggy window on my laptop when I have a nice tv to watch them on.

BloodBrother
Weems takes it to the house but there's a flag, probably coming back

what a sweet return, to

SolidGold
10-23-2011, 12:18 PM
newton u stupid :)

_YL_
Needing the Jets to beat a team for you is like hoping Santa clause will come threw my door right now. Its just wishful thinking.

ATLDirtyBirds
Why the **** can we not do anything right this year?