PDA

View Full Version : Mohamed Sanu vs. Dwight Jones

4U2NV
10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Forgive me if there's already a thread about these guys but I wanted to get people's opinions on them. I've never seen either play much, I only got to see Jones for the first time last Saturday but was also flipping channels to see South Carolina as well. Sanu I haven't watched yet. I've been seeing both of their names starting to creep into the late 1st round of mock drafts. Which guy do you think makes the better pro prospect and how do they stack up with some of the other WR's in this class like a Ryan Broyles for example?

princefielder28
10-18-2011, 12:46 PM
I haven't watched much of Rutgers yet this year so I can't give the best opinion on Sanu but from what I've seen from Jones the guy is a beast and a terror to try and cover. When I see Jones it almost reminds me of what I see when the Packers split out Jermichael Finley, physically imposing and difficult to contain with a single corner because of that size and his ability to make a play on the ball.

ElectricEye
10-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Dwight Jones is a lot better than some people realize. Better overall prospect than Greg Little was. Really great size to athleticism ratio that just a makes him difficult to defend.

Sanu is trickier to judge. He does a lot of different things for Rutgers and does nearly all of them well, but he hasn't had a quarterback who can get him the ball down the field in his career thus far. Great ability after the catch and he's built like a runningback with wide receiver ability, but I'm not sold on him as a first round pick quite yet like some are.

As far as value vs. a Broyles type, I would take both of them over him....but it really depends on what kind of player you're looking for. Broyles is a fantastic slot receiver who is going to come up and put up numbers right away if you have the pieces around him to set it up.

tjsunstein
10-18-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm a big fan of Dwight Jones. I remember when he turned down Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, and even Clemson to commit to UNC. He has the size that scouts drool over but he can also use it. He can be physical, he can get open up deep, and he's quick enough to create separation.

I only have Floyd and Kendall Wright over Dwight Jones right now as far as seniors go.

princefielder28
10-18-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm a big fan of Dwight Jones. I remember when he turned down Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, and even Clemson to commit to UNC. He has the size that scouts drool over but he can also use it. He can be physical, he can get open up deep, and he's quick enough to create separation.

I only have Floyd and Kendall Wright over Dwight Jones right now as far as seniors go.

I have Jones as the #1 senior WR at the moment, even over Floyd who I'm not the biggest fan of to begin with. For me Blackmon is the best wideout available in this draft and then Jones isn't too far behind Alshon for that #2 spot

Giantsfan1080
10-18-2011, 01:26 PM
I like both a lot but I have to lean towards Sanu on this one for obvious reasons. Sanu is just starting to scratch the surface of his ability at WR for Rutgers. He came to us as a S and we immediately moved him to WR after realizing we had no depth there. He made an immediate impact as a Fr with a true FR QB but then he fell off the map last year because of numerous problems. We started running a WildCat package with him as our main weapon and that led to some injuries which hampered his SO year. He's came back in a big way this year since we're running a pro style offense again. Sanu can do it all on the field but he's not our deep threat and we rarely send him on routes that would showcase that but don't mistake that as him not being able to because he has the ability. His athleticism/hands are going to carry him into the 1st round especially when he tests at the combine. His top end speed might be a little slow compared to some others but he is still quick enough for the next level. Both Jones and Sanu remind me a little bit of Nicks. If you have any further questions I'll be happy to answer since I've seen pretty much every game of his.

Hurricanes25
10-18-2011, 01:49 PM
They're both still pretty underrated at this point. I love me some Sanu, though. He's my #3 WR right now behind Blackmon and Jeffrey. For those who haven't seen Rutgers/Sanu yet this season, they play Louisville on Friday night (ESPN2) and then next week they play WV which is an ESPN/ABC game.

4U2NV
10-18-2011, 05:41 PM
They're both still pretty underrated at this point. I love me some Sanu, though. He's my #3 WR right now behind Blackmon and Jeffrey. For those who haven't seen Rutgers/Sanu yet this season, they play Louisville on Friday night (ESPN2) and then next week they play WV which is an ESPN/ABC game.

Great info, thanks! I unfortunately don't get ESPN2 up in Canada but I'll definitely make sure to set my PVR to get the ABC game the week after.

thegreatone
10-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Who do each compare to in the NFL?

rawdawg
10-18-2011, 07:22 PM
They are completely different WRs. Sanu is more of a possession WR, while Jones is a big play threat. I like Sanu better though. He reminds me of a bigger version of Percy Harvin. Can really be as good as he wants to be. Can put him outside and run crossing routes or slants with him. Can put him in the slot and let him work the middle. Can run the WR screen with him. Can play him at wildcat QB. Not going to be a guy that can beat his man deep consistently, but could be a zone defense killer.

I can't really get a good feel on Jones. The hardest evaluation for me, personally, is a WR over 6'3". Just not a lot of history of success with those guys. And unless they run like Moss or Calvin Johnson, it's hard to really compare them to anyone. Jones is not a guy that's going to be really productive vs. zone defenses. A guy that can win 1-on-1 matchups, strictly on the outside. Not going to run a curl inside the numbers. I watched him play closely for the first time this weekend. Seemed to have really good hands and did a good job shielding defenders.

Brown Leader
10-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Who do each compare to in the NFL?

Sanu - Jerome Simpson
Jones - Mike Williams (Sea)

I like them both. I don't buy that Jones will be a big play threat though, at least as a deep threat. I see them both as big physical guys with great hands and enough speed and wiggle to do a little something after the catch.

Heisman
10-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Mike Williams? When I watch Dwight Jones I see a burner, Mike Wallace-like almost. He isn't a shifty slot guy but he is a deep threat who gets up the field.

I have done some initial scouting on Dwight Jones (not saying i'm any kind of expert though) and it looks like its all there: good hands, gets deep, creates separation, shifty (but not perfect) route-runner. I can't imagine him being unsuccessful in the NFL and think he is definitely underrated at this point.

Sanu? Don't know anything about him but his YPC of 10 is frightening.