PDA

View Full Version : The Ponder Era has begun

Complex
10-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Christian Ponder is in and Donovan McNabb is out in Minnesota.

Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier has chosen Ponder as the teamís starting quarterback, Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports.

link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/18/vikings-bench-donovan-mcnabb-christian-ponder-will-start/)

Ness
10-18-2011, 02:08 PM
I'll be surprised if Ponder comes in and works miracles, but can't be worse than Donovan McNabb. I wonder if McNabb is going to retire after this stint with the Vikings.

A Perfect Score
10-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I really like this move. I had Ponder rated as my #3 QB coming into the draft, and I really think he'll be a successful guy in the NFL. Smart, mobile, accurate, and his arm looked great velocity wise on Monday. He's got some players to utilize in Minnesota as well, and if they shore up that offensive line and get him a real #1 (I think Reggie Wayne is a guy who Minnesota should look at), I'm of the mind that he's going to be a very good NFL QB someday. The future is bright in the NFC North, thats for sure. Except for the Bears. Nobody likes the Bears.

vidae
10-18-2011, 02:10 PM
They can't do worse than McNabb.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 02:16 PM
They can't do worse than McNabb.

No they can't. However Ponder will only be a small upgrade. I don't think he's a Franchise QB. He underperformed McNabb in garbage time.

marshallb
10-18-2011, 02:30 PM
No they can't. However Ponder will only be a small upgrade. I don't think he's a Franchise QB. He underperformed McNabb in garbage time.

Did you actually watch the game or just look at the box score? By the time Ponder came in, 2 of the Vikings starting OL were out on what was already a horrendous OL. Ponder was literally running for his life on damn near every play, and showed pocket presence, escaping from pressure instead of just laying down like McNabb did in the end zone. Ponder also actually hit receivers in stride, which McNabb has done maybe 3 times all season.

On top of all that, in his first action is Ponder really supposed to look like a veteran or can somewhat of a learning curve be expected?

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Did you actually watch the game or just look at the box score? By the time Ponder came in, 2 of the Vikings starting OL were out on what was already a horrendous OL. Ponder was literally running for his life on damn near every play, and showed pocket presence, escaping from pressure instead of just laying down like McNabb did in the end zone. Ponder also actually hit receivers in stride, which McNabb has done maybe 3 times all season.

On top of all that, in his first action is Ponder really supposed to look like a veteran or can somewhat of a learning curve be expected?

I did watch the game to notice when he came in, it was out of reach and the Bears weren't playing there key guys. When you come in late in the game and it's a blowout, it's called garbage time stats, there big guy.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Notice i said he'll be a bit better, but he sure as heck won't save the vikings season. He was vastly overdrafted to begin with.

A Perfect Score
10-18-2011, 02:51 PM
I did watch the game to notice when he came in, it was out of reach and the Bears weren't playing there key guys. When you come in late in the game and it's a blowout, it's called garbage time stats, there big guy.

It has nothing to do with the stats, you're the only one in this thread who gives a **** about them. Ponder looked poised and collected while getting the kitchen sink thrown at him by the Bears pass rush, he went through his reads well, showed athleticism and escape ability...Reminded me a bit of Tony Romo, actually. In a good way. I was really impressed with how he threw the ball too, he made a really great across the body throw when he was running a bootleg that really looked great.

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 02:55 PM

McNabb fell down without even being touched in the end zone, resulting in a safety. Nobody outside of Dan Orlovsky can underperform that.

General Zod
10-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Im glad this finally happened. This team is rebuilding and we need to see what Ponder can do. It would be almost impossible to play any worse then McNabb did.

marshallb
10-18-2011, 02:59 PM

First of all, ******** on the Bears not playing their key guys, Peppers was in there with his bum knee, so they were playing their key guys, and Urlacher made the tackle after he dropped out on the blitz on the final fourth down attempt that came up 1 yard short, and I don't think you're gonna find anyone who says that Peppers and Urlacher aren't key guys on the Bears defense. Also, they didn't play like it was garbage time, in which you will generally play lax zone defense, here's an excerpt from an article (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Breaking_down_the_tape_from_the_Vikings_loss_to_th e_Bears101811) from Vikings beat writer Tom Pelissero: The offense just looked faster under rookie Christian Ponder (21), whose knack for feeling pressure and extending plays with his feet is encouraging, especially given the Bears' surprising choice to blitz him six times in a 29-point game.

The Bears, a noted cover 2 team, blitzed six times in the 21 snaps that Ponder was in there, so no, they weren't playing it like it was garbage time.

I also have no idea where you get the idea that anyone thinks that Ponder will save the Vikings season, no one and I mean NO ONE thinks that will happen.

Canadian_draft_fan
10-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Im glad this finally happened. This team is rebuilding and we need to see what Ponder can do. It would be almost impossible to play any worse then McNabb did.
As a Redskin fan I was telling my Viking fan friends that they would be screaming for Ponder by week 6. i wasn't far off.
McNugget's career as a starter was over last year. 2 teams didn't realize it, however.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Quite frankly, first off, this QB class was nothing to be excited about. QBs were over drafted. Only guys I thought warrented a 1st round grade were Gabbert and Newton. Locker and Ponder were 2nd/3rd round prospects in any other year and with no lockout. Due to the lockout, it made teams over draft QBs that needed 1.

Not saying Ponder won't prove me wrong. He could. I was wrong about Andy Dalton, so far. But Ponder's ceiling is Chad Pennington.

A Perfect Score
10-18-2011, 03:03 PM
First of all, ******** on the Bears not playing their key guys, Peppers was in there with his bum knee, so they were playing their key guys, and Urlacher made the tackle after he dropped out on the blitz on the final fourth down attempt that came up 1 yard short, and I don't think you're gonna find anyone who says that Peppers and Urlacher aren't key guys on the Bears defense. Also, they didn't play like it was garbage time, in which you will generally play lax zone defense, here's an excerpt from an article (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Breaking_down_the_tape_from_the_Vikings_loss_to_th e_Bears101811) from Vikings beat writer Tom Pelissero:

The Bears, a noted cover 2 team, blitzed six times in the 21 snaps that Ponder was in there, so no, they weren't playing it like it was garbage time.

I also have no idea where you get the idea that anyone thinks that Ponder will save the Vikings season, no one and I mean NO ONE thinks that will happen.

And boom goes the dynamite. Get some, Marshall!

no bare feet
10-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Quite frankly, first off, this QB class was nothing to be excited about. QBs were over drafted. Only guys I thought warrented a 1st round grade were Gabbert and Newton. Locker and Ponder were 2nd/3rd round prospects in any other year and with no lockout. Due to the lockout, it made teams over draft QBs that needed 1.

Not saying Ponder won't prove me wrong. He could. I was wrong about Andy Dalton, so far. But Ponder's ceiling is Chad Pennington.

What do your personal opinions have to do with the Qb draft class and Ponders immediate or long term success? What about that interesting stat about the 6 blitzes he faced?

Do you address any point made without using a logical fallacy to back up your lack of argument?

SolidGold
10-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Ponder actually looked good replacing McNabb. Showed really good mobility, pocket awareness, escapability and threw a nice ball. I was pretty surprised to say the least, I thought he was more of a third rounder pick. The Vikes did reach on him. It's safe to say McNabb is pretty much done though.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 03:09 PM
What do your personal opinions have to do with the Qb draft class and Ponders immediate or long term success? What about that interesting stat about the 6 blitzes he faced?

Do you address any point made without using a logical fallacy to back up your lack of argument?

He faced 6 blitzes on Sunday? Wow. That makes him a great QB. We'll see how Sunday and the rest of the season plays out.

J-Mike88
10-18-2011, 03:12 PM
I really like this move. I had Ponder rated as my #3 QB coming into the draft, and I really think....
I suppose you had Dalton & Newton 1 & 2 right?

no bare feet
10-18-2011, 03:13 PM
He faced 6 blitzes on Sunday? Wow. That makes him a great QB. We'll see how Sunday and the rest of the season plays out.

I am not saying he will be a great QB, you said he faced garbage time minus three key players or something arbitrary statement. He was blitzed 6 of 17 drop backs, that is a fact.

FlyingElvis
10-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Ponder looked like an all world QB compared to McNabb. My only surprise is that they even let McNabb on the team plane for the ride home.

A Perfect Score
10-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I suppose you had Dalton & Newton 1 & 2 right?

No sir, I had Locker #1. I was probably the biggest Cam Newton hater on the site come draft time, and I had him reluctantly placed at #2. Ponder was #3, with Ryan Mallett #4 and Gabbert #5. Dalton was way down on my rankings, #7 or 8 I believe.

WMD
10-18-2011, 03:16 PM
If everyone could please give me a pity +rep, I would appreciate it.

Tom Brady is my QB, and McNabb was my backup. This week was the only week I needed McNabb and he's gonna be benched. This is no good.

SolidGold
10-18-2011, 03:21 PM

I think most people besides you can agree upon is that Ponder did not look lost out there. It was his first game experience and he did well. No need to jump the gun on him and label him a failure for whatever reason.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 03:26 PM
No sir, I had Locker #1. I was probably the biggest Cam Newton hater on the site come draft time, and I had him reluctantly placed at #2. Ponder was #3, with Ryan Mallett #4 and Gabbert #5. Dalton was way down on my rankings, #7 or 8 I believe.

Just a guess, but how or what did you see in Locker to put him at 1?

I agree I had Cam at #2, only because I questioned his mentality and decision making.

my predraft rankings:
1. Blaine Gabbert
2. Newton
3. Mallet
4. Kapernick
5. Locker
6. Dalton
7. Ponder

Obviously, I've been wrong with Dalton as he's played very well. Gabbert I kind of feel bad for. Look what he has to work with down there. Crap coach, crap WRs. Has a solid TE, but isn't elite. Going to give him a while. He's got the tools to be very successful.

bucfan12
10-18-2011, 03:27 PM
I think most people besides you can agree upon is that Ponder did not look lost out there. It was his first game experience and he did well. No need to jump the gun on him and label him a failure for whatever reason.

Never said he looked lost. I'm just saying I'm not gonna bust a nut over his performance when he came in during the blowou.t

SolidGold
10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Never said he looked lost. I'm just saying I'm not gonna bust a nut over his performance when he came in during the blowou.t

I don't think anyone is "busting a nut". The Bears starters were still out there on defense and coming after him. I'm sure they were eager to try and give Ponder a welcome to the NFL moment but Ponder showed pretty good poise. The starting center and RT were both out for the game and he came into the came with the defense expecting him to be throwing the ball. Just giving credit where credit is due.

nepg
10-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Just a guess, but how or what did you see in Locker to put him at 1?

I agree I had Cam at #2, only because I questioned his mentality and decision making.

my predraft rankings:
1. Blaine Gabbert
2. Newton
3. Mallet
4. Kapernick
5. Locker
6. Dalton
7. Ponder

Obviously, I've been wrong with Dalton as he's played very well. Gabbert I kind of feel bad for. Look what he has to work with down there. Crap coach, crap WRs. Has a solid TE, but isn't elite. Going to give him a while. He's got the tools to be very successful.
I had Ponder really low, too. Didn't see much of a difference between Ponder, Stanzi, and TJ Yates, to be honest. Might have even had Ponder below the latter two (pretty sure I had him below Stanzi).

EDIT: Found my rankings! There was one caveat with this, though. I stated that you have to draft Newton over Mallett because of his potential to become a transcendent player. Also keep in mind that I think this is one of the best QB classes ever, so I'm not trying to knock Ponder here.

1. Locker
2. Mallett
3. Newton
4. Gabbert
5. Kaepernick
6. Stanzi
7. Ponder
8. Yates
9. Dalton
10. Devlin

niel89
10-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Am I the only one who thought that Ponder looked pretty fast/quick out there? He had some speed when he was running for his life.

nepg
10-18-2011, 05:25 PM
He's a solid athlete.

prock
10-18-2011, 05:55 PM
The future is bright in the NFC North, thats for sure. Except for the Bears. Nobody likes the Bears.

I like you.

prock
10-18-2011, 06:01 PM
And bucfan has used a strawman in every single one of his posts haha. Literally not a single one actually addresses what was brought up in what he quoted. I enjoyed reading it.

wogitalia
10-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Am I the only one who thought that Ponder looked pretty fast/quick out there? He had some speed when he was running for his life.

He is going to need it, I think we managed to overtake the Bears in having the worst OL in the league, theirs at least showed that it was a large part play calling that was killing them(our DL and pass rush is about the only thing we have going for us)

I'm interested, we are putting him in probably a worse position than Carolina put Clausen last year and that is my biggest concern, after overdrafting him I think we needed to put him in a better situation than what we are putting him. No OL and no WR with pretty damn awful playcalling is not a good situation for a young QB who comes with his own fragile sticker. Even worse is that our defense is pretty awful as well so he is probably going to spend a lot of time playing from behind which neutralises our only offensive asset to a large part...

Suck for Luck time! Of course we'd probably just overdraft a CB or something instead...

wogitalia
10-18-2011, 11:54 PM
PS... is there a worse run team than that Vikings out there right now? We've effectively blown every draft pick we've had since Peterson, we haven't made a good FA acquisition since Winfield/Hutch/P Williams... we just plain suck at off field stuff.

Oh yeah and we don't have a stadium.. Life is Good!

BloodBrother
10-19-2011, 12:22 AM
at least there's no sex boat scandals or whizzinator stuff going on lately

yo123
10-19-2011, 12:35 AM

WTF? Ponder and Pennington aren't even similar.

wogitalia
10-19-2011, 01:14 AM
WTF? Ponder and Pennington aren't even similar.

Is a very odd comparison, whether it be to pre or post injury Pennington.

Ponder for mine has a fair few similarities to Rodgers in the way he moves around the pocket and can extend plays and is actually a decent threat to run. His biggest issue is going to be a lack of support so will probably test one of his biggest draft concerns of durability.

Heisman
10-19-2011, 01:20 AM
PS... is there a worse run team than that Vikings out there right now? We've effectively blown every draft pick we've had since Peterson, we haven't made a good FA acquisition since Winfield/Hutch/P Williams... we just plain suck at off field stuff.

We could have given up on our QBoTF and traded 2 1st round picks for Carson Palmer. So..... I'm feeling pretty good about the Vikings right now

CC.SD
10-19-2011, 01:21 AM

lol don't forget bringing Randy back and the Favre debacle.

Heisman
10-19-2011, 01:23 AM
Is a very odd comparison, whether it be to pre or post injury Pennington.

Ponder for mine has a fair few similarities to Rodgers in the way he moves around the pocket and can extend plays and is actually a decent threat to run. His biggest issue is going to be a lack of support so will probably test one of his biggest draft concerns of durability.

The way he works his magic in the pocket reminds me of Tony Romo and the spark he gave the Cowboys post-Bledsoe.

I see the Rodgers comparison but comparing any QB to the great Aaron Rodgers especially the "reach" Christian Ponder would upset a lot of posters on this board.

But the Ponder/Pennington comparison is weird, without a doubt.

wogitalia
10-19-2011, 01:50 AM
lol don't forget bringing Randy back and the Favre debacle.

Still pretending that didn't happen, so I can't hear you.

The way he works his magic in the pocket reminds me of Tony Romo and the spark he gave the Cowboys post-Bledsoe.

Probably a better overall comparison actually! I'm trying to put the more wishful thought out in the universe. Being a Vikes fan is pretty hard after all!