View Full Version : 49ers Gameday Thread: Week 7: 49ers at BYE

Borat
10-19-2011, 02:50 AM
Week 7:
Sunday, October 23, 2011

San Francisco 49ers (5-1)
at
BYE (0-0)

Bye is fierce. It's another road game. I'm worried.

OK, enough of that.

I say we use this week's gameday thread to discuss the current crop of rookie 49ers. I gotta say, this draft class has surprised me. I didn't love it. Thought it was kind of solid, but unspectacular. I was wrong.

2011 49ers Draft Picks
Rd Sel Ovr Player Pos School
1 7 7 Aldon Smith DE Missouri
2 4 36 Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada
3 16 80 Chris Culliver S South Carolina
4 18 115 Kendall Hunter RB Oklahoma State
5 32 163 Daniel Kilgore G Appalachian State
6 17 182 Ronald Johnson WR USC
6 25 190 Colin Jones S TCU
7 8 211 Bruce Miller OLB UCF
7 38 239 Mike Person T Montana State
7 49 250 Curtis Holcomb CB Florida A&M

Aldon looks like a monster. He's getting better. I think we've found our dominant passrusher. He's not there yet, but I think he's going to get there faster than I imagined.

Colin Kaepernick is definitely not ready. I know it's a longterm project with him so I'm fine with taking it very slowly. I'm still not sure he's a future franchise QB so this pick remains a question to me. I like that Harbaugh likes him.

Culliver is the wildcard for me. I was very skeptical of the pick, but he's been impressive so far. Small sample size obviously, but much better than I expected.

Hunter has been a nice pick. Love the explosion and he's a tougher runner than I previously thought.

Kilgore was very impressive in the preseason. Looked like a future starter. We'll have to wait a while to see if it was a fluke or not. But I like that they can hold him back a year. He's likely not ready for real action.

Bruce Miller has transitioned nicely to FB. He's pretty athletic which allows Harbaugh to move him around a lot. Could stick around for a while if he continues to improve and refine the position change.

These picks make me happy.

Standings:

NFC West
1. San Francisco 49ers (5-1)
2. Seattle Seahawks (2-3)
3. Arizona Cardinals (1-4)
4. St. Louis Rams (0-5)

Special Note: I'll leave the week 6 Gameday thread open for those that want to discuss Handshakegate.

Special Note II: Gore > Watters.

binary
10-19-2011, 04:42 AM
I like Tolzien more than Kap. Love the quick release and the accuracy.

Larry
10-19-2011, 06:33 AM
^Hopefully you're not basing that off meaningless preseason games. I love that Kap is going sit this season and likely next season. That's perfect timing for Harbaugh to work on his footwork and gives him plenty of time to learn the WCO.

Menardo75
10-19-2011, 10:44 AM

You have to be kidding me Tolzien is one of the worst QBs in football just like he was in college.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-21-2011, 04:45 AM

From what I saw from the Chargers game his ceiling reminds me of Shaun Hill with a slightly better arm? Fair or unfair from posters that have seen his college tape?

I will say that I am just happy that Harbaugh is grooming two young QBs on this roster. It reminds me of the old Green Bay teams that streamlined starting QBs into the league. I hope Harbaugh is able to achieve that.

abaddon41_80
10-21-2011, 10:19 AM
From what I saw from the Chargers game his ceiling reminds me of Shaun Hill with a slightly better arm? Fair or unfair from posters that have seen his college tape?

I will say that I am just happy that Harbaugh is grooming two young QBs on this roster. It reminds me of the old Green Bay teams that streamlined starting QBs into the league. I hope Harbaugh is able to achieve that.

I would also say he is a slightly better athlete than Hill. I didn't watch enough of him to really tell but he also doesn't seem as tenacious as Hill. Still, I think it is a fair comparison to make. Not the greatest arms, not the greatest athletes and not all that accurate, either, but they find ways to get it done.

Madirishman
10-21-2011, 11:54 AM

This is what I was hoping for and expected when Harbaugh was brought in, at least until the franchise QB was found and developed, if not beyond that. You can never have enough good QBs in the NFL.

Brent
10-21-2011, 08:19 PM
I want more of this:

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/1138109_o.gif

Madirishman
10-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Don't we all, Brent. Don't we all.

phlysac
10-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Another great weekend for the 49ers. Expanded the Division lead by another full game on the other 3 teams.

Brent
10-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Another great weekend for the 49ers. Expanded the Division lead by another full game on the other 3 teams.
and we get to play the Rams and Cardinals twice before season's end! there is a chance we could finish 12-4 lol.

Rabscuttle
10-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Going to be interesting to see how things shake out. We have two lightning fast receivers coming up in Wallace and Smith giving Fangio opportunity to scheme for that. We also have see a few more good defences for Alex and the offence to get some quality work against.

Just need to take care of business, stay healthy and be consistently better.

Menardo75
10-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Going to be interesting to see how things shake out. We have two lightning fast receivers coming up in Wallace and Smith giving Fangio opportunity to scheme for that. We also have see a few more good defences for Alex and the offence to get some quality work against.

Just need to take care of business, stay healthy and be consistently better.

The Browns don't have any receivers......

binary
10-24-2011, 02:15 AM
Braylon and Crabtree, WR duo of the future? Should be interesting..

Alex needs to keep his fundamentals in check, OL needs to keep improving.

I wonder if we're ever gonna play Spencer again? I always thought he was solid.

Ness
10-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Spencer is almost 30. I like him a lot, but it seems a lot of the younger guys like Brock and Culliver are playing just as well. Maybe even Brown. Spencer played a couple of snaps on defense in the last game. And was on special teams.

Ness
10-24-2011, 02:58 AM

The Browns also have the most drops in the NFL at 17 currently. Good news for our secondary. They don't have any megastar receivers who we seem to struggle with this year (Miles Austin, DeSean Jackson, Calvin Johnson). Is Payton Hillis even playing? We should dominate this team. Keyword "should."

Madirishman
10-24-2011, 10:06 AM

They don't have big names but they have young talent that could continue to emerge with Colt McCoy. Greg Little (rookie from UNC) cracked the starting lineup last week and has talent. Massaqui (now in his 3rd year) is a big WR that has not been consistent in his career but is a target in the red zone. I wouldn't look passed these guys nor any opponent in the NFL. Look at what Lafell did to us when we played the Panthers; career day.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-24-2011, 10:16 AM
They don't have big names but they have young talent that could continue to emerge with Colt McCoy. Greg Little (rookie from UNC) cracked the starting lineup last week and has talent. Massaqui (now in his 3rd year) is a big WR that has not been consistent in his career but is a target in the red zone. I wouldn't look passed these guys nor any opponent in the NFL. Look at what Lafell did to us when we played the Panthers; career day.

It's going to be hard not to overlook the Browns after yesterday's game. Little has looked good the past two weeks but McCoy is really struggling out there. He is top 5 in passing attempts but ranks 33rd with 5.5 yards per attempt. Reminds me a lot of the way Josh Freeman was playing heading into his match up with 49ers.

VAfy-ya
10-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I would also say he is a slightly better athlete than Hill. I didn't watch enough of him to really tell but he also doesn't seem as tenacious as Hill. Still, I think it is a fair comparison to make. Not the greatest arms, not the greatest athletes and not all that accurate, either, but they find ways to get it done.

Tolz is very accruate. Not sure what made you come to that conclusion. Tolz was knocked for not having a great arm strength and not being a great athlete, which is bull IMO. His arm is strong enough to make any throw you need. Dalton and Tolz I thought were very similar heading into the last year draft. I will admit, I was wrong about Dalton and his ability as a starter in the NFL. Didn't see him as a viable option as the QOTF. Thought he was a back-up that would need to sit and maybe challenge for a starting spot down the road. Its the same way I saw Tolz. Hopefully Tolz can prove me wrong too, lol.

The great thing about having Tolz and CK is that they're two totally different QBs. Tolz played in a WCO in college and doesn't posess the greatest physical gifts but is a accurate thrower who does the little things well(anticipation, touch, pocket awareness). CK is a physically gifted monster of a athlete with a cannon for a arm who came from a gimmicky offense in college. He has the higher ceiling but needs to refine the little things that Tolz does so well. I don't think its just coinecedence(m/s) that these two polar opposites are on our roster as rookies. I think Harbs is having his own little QB experiment. It will be interesting to see how both of these guys mature and grasp the teaching Harbs will give them.

Ness
10-24-2011, 02:29 PM
I wonder why Tolzien went undrafted. Was it because he didn't have huge stats in college? He apparently came through in a few big games and won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award.

abaddon41_80
10-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Tolz is very accruate. Not sure what made you come to that conclusion. Tolz was knocked for not having a great arm strength and not being a great athlete, which is bull IMO. His arm is strong enough to make any throw you need. Dalton and Tolz I thought were very similar heading into the last year draft. I will admit, I was wrong about Dalton and his ability as a starter in the NFL. Didn't see him as a viable option as the QOTF. Thought he was a back-up that would need to sit and maybe challenge for a starting spot down the road. Its the same way I saw Tolz. Hopefully Tolz can prove me wrong too, lol.

The great thing about having Tolz and CK is that they're two totally different QBs. Tolz played in a WCO in college and doesn't posess the greatest physical gifts but is a accurate thrower who does the little things well(anticipation, touch, pocket awareness). CK is a physically gifted monster of a athlete with a cannon for a arm who came from a gimmicky offense in college. He has the higher ceiling but needs to refine the little things that Tolz does so well. I don't think its just coinecedence(m/s) that these two polar opposites are on our roster as rookies. I think Harbs is having his own little QB experiment. It will be interesting to see how both of these guys mature and grasp the teaching Harbs will give them.

I only watched a handful of Wisconsin games but he never seemed all that accurate, particularly against TCU last year. In fact, in his three games against Top 25 teams last year he completed <60% of his passes twice. In three games against ranked teams in 2009 he threw six interceptions and zero touchdowns.

Rabscuttle
10-24-2011, 03:15 PM

I was talking about Wallace from the Steelers and Smith from the Ravens.
More of an opportunity to work on things throughout the regular season before the playoffs.

VAfy-ya
10-24-2011, 04:57 PM
I wonder why Tolzien went undrafted. Was it because he didn't have huge stats in college? He apparently came through in a few big games and won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award.

1. Arm strength
2. Not really athletic
3. Height(He's only 6'2, which is on the short side for some)
4. He played on a run-first team with a NFL-sized O-Line and he didn't really "wow" people. But I was never "wow-ed" by alot of QBs in college who turned out to do great things in the pros.

Like I said, he and Dalton were very similar to me coming out. I had him, Dalton, and McElroy all kind of lumped together as game manager/low-ceiling types who could possibly turn into Drew Brees if they got put in the right situation. I would call being a QB under Harbaugh the right situation. I thought he threw a good ball and had really good ball placement. The thing about accuracy for me is ball placement. Are WRs getting the ball in position to get YAC or are they putting the ball where only they're WR has a chance to make a play. I thought Tolz was very good at this. Liked his footwork and his feel for the game, his moxy if you will.

VAfy-ya
10-24-2011, 05:04 PM
I only watched a handful of Wisconsin games but he never seemed all that accurate, particularly against TCU last year. In fact, in his three games against Top 25 teams last year he completed <60% of his passes twice. In three games against ranked teams in 2009 he threw six interceptions and zero touchdowns.

I was always impressed with his accuracy. He didn't really have alot weapons on the outside. His TE was really his only weapon so maybe that had something to do with the subpar stats. I remember reading reports from the East-West Shrine practices about him being the most accurate QB there and that's basically what I remembered from watching him play. Not alot of great NFL-level throws but very accurate with the throws he was asked to make.

Ness
10-24-2011, 06:33 PM
By the way Nate Davis is apparently going to play Arena Football for the Kansas City Command. He is apparently in line to be the starter.

Rabscuttle
10-24-2011, 06:44 PM
By the way Nate Davis is apparently going to play Arena Football for the Kansas City Command. He is apparently in line to be the starter.

Forgot all about him. Hope he works his ass off and gets his career going in the right direction.

Brent
10-24-2011, 07:00 PM
he is so much better than Alex Smith!

Ness
10-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Nate Davis needs to come back to the 49ers and have a Hall of Fame career and make me look smart for believing in him.

Rabscuttle
10-24-2011, 07:14 PM
It's not a lack of talent on Nate's part. He needed coaching and direction. Something resembling a plan would have really helped his cause and he just wasn't in a situation where he could succeed. He may not have worked hard enough when he was here, but it had to be frustrating as hell for a guy like him. He would have required extra effort from his coaches, not just himself.

He may never be in a scenario to prove you right. There are plenty of people with talent with restrictions like his that don't see the success they should.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-24-2011, 10:08 PM
It's not a lack of talent on Nate's part. He needed coaching and direction. Something resembling a plan would have really helped his cause and he just wasn't in a situation where he could succeed. He may not have worked hard enough when he was here, but it had to be frustrating as hell for a guy like him. He would have required extra effort from his coaches, not just himself.

He may never be in a scenario to prove you right. There are plenty of people with talent with restrictions like his that don't see the success they should.

If only he had a chance to be working with this staff instead of being stuck with last year's "coaching."

Was hoping Nate would latch on with a UFL team. Unfortunate that the league is probably on it's last legs.

he is so much better than Alex Smith!

I remember Damon Bruce (after the Rams loss last year) was on KNBR's post game show saying the 49ers need to start Nate Davis so they can sell tickets to the finale game. Just cringe worthy radio.

phlysac
10-24-2011, 11:13 PM
If only he had a chance to be working with this staff instead of being stuck with last year's "coaching."

Well it wasn't Sing's "coaching" that got him cut by the Seahawks and Colts. I was a huge Davis fan. Had him ranked above Mark Sanchez in fact. Unfortunately what I didn't know was that he has terrible work-ethic to go with his severe learning disability. Terrible combination, regardless of arm talent.

Ness
10-24-2011, 11:36 PM
I still don't like how his departure all went down. Singletary and Jimmy Raye not thinking that he was right for the team doesn't really convince me. He did get released by the Seahawks, but it's not like they know what they're doing with their quarterbacks necessarily either. Same with the Colts at this point in time. I just can't believe that Nate Davis gives a worse chance to win a game compared to the likes of Troy Smith, Curtis Painter, Charlie Whitehurst, or Tavaris Jackson.

Apparently, he was lazy though. I'd still take a chance on him though. He definitely passed the eyeball test when he was here.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Well it wasn't Sing's "coaching" that got him cut by the Seahawks and Colts. I was a huge Davis fan. Had him ranked above Mark Sanchez in fact. Unfortunately what I didn't know was that he has terrible work-ethic to go with his severe learning disability. Terrible combination, regardless of arm talent.

Don't disagree that his work ethic could have improved but was he really in an environment that a QB with a learning disability could have thrived in? We have heard all the reports of the offensive ineptness of philosophy during the Raye/Johnson era. I also believe that Singletary's exceptions were completely unrealistic for Davis in his 2nd year, IMO. But as you said two offensive minded teams (EDIT- Originally had coaches but Jim Caldwell doesn't count) gave up on Davis quick so moot point at this point.

Ness
10-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Well look at the Seahawks and Colts now. They don't look like they could do much worse with Nate Davis in the lineup.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Well look at the Seahawks and Colts now. They don't look like they could do much worse with Nate Davis in the lineup.

With some of the quarterbacking we have seen the last 2 days, there are a ton of guys wondering how they are out of jobs. Just a brutal display.

hawkeye123
10-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Nate Davis couldn't fully grasp the Jimmy Raye playbook.

/argument

Ness
10-25-2011, 12:08 AM

/argument

Neither could any of our other quarterbacks from what I saw that year. Or rather, they weren't executing what they apparently "knew". Davis arguably had the best accuracy on the team.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-25-2011, 12:35 AM

/argument

+10000000000000000000, well played.

Borat
10-25-2011, 12:54 AM

/argument

Indeed.

Well done Hawkeye. There couldn't be a more perfect use of the "/"

binary
10-25-2011, 02:49 AM
yea the Nate Davis saga pretty much destroyed my ability to listen to knbr...the fans/hosts truly lost it and showed their ineptitude when it came to that issue....I was truly embarrassed to be a niner fan. I really have a problem associating with the common niner fan nowadays, don't even rock any gear, just root for the team.

edgrenade
10-25-2011, 04:36 AM
yea the Nate Davis saga pretty much destroyed my ability to listen to knbr...the fans/hosts truly lost it and showed their ineptitude when it came to that issue....I was truly embarrassed to be a niner fan. I really have a problem associating with the common niner fan nowadays, don't even rock any gear, just root for the team.

I lost it when they thought JT Osullivan was good...

Menardo75
10-25-2011, 10:57 AM

Cause he sucks.....

dan77733
10-25-2011, 11:43 AM

/argument

Hmmm, but neither did any of the other QB's, Singletary, the OL, the offense itself or anyone watching which probably explains why Raye is LONG gone and nowhere to be found.

With that said, I would have liked to see what Harbaugh thought of Davis. Oh well.

Borat
10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Jimmy Raye's offense was from Tecmo Bowl. His second year he upgraded to Super Tecmo Bowl with 8 plays!

hawkeye123
10-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Neither could any of our other quarterbacks from what I saw that year. Or rather, they weren't executing what they apparently "knew". Davis arguably had the best accuracy on the team.

Hmmm, but neither did any of the other QB's, Singletary, the OL, the offense itself or anyone watching which probably explains why Raye is LONG gone and nowhere to be found.

With that said, I would have liked to see what Harbaugh thought of Davis. Oh well.

Davis had a full year with a normal off season to learn the offense and half way through training camp Dingleberry comes out and says that Davis is a lazy **** and only knew 2/3 of the Raye playbook. Which consisted of around 20 plays, 10 of which were HB dives.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Jimmy Raye's offense was from Tecmo Bowl. His second year he upgraded to Super Tecmo Bowl with 8 plays!

haha, if Ted Ginn ran a ball out at the 1 yard line then we would have rather evidence of the Tecmo Bowl offense. I used to do that all the time with the Raiders and Chiefs. I loved handing off to Christian Okoye for multiple 99 yard touchdowns. My goal was to get 1,000 yards rushing in one game. Sadly it never happened.

Ness
10-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Davis had a full year with a normal off season to learn the offense and half way through training camp Dingleberry comes out and says that Davis is a lazy **** and only knew 2/3 of the Raye playbook. Which consisted of around 20 plays, 10 of which were HB dives.

I'm not sure if you're just trying to be funny or not. Singletary never disclosed how much Nate Davis knew or didn't know. He simply said this:

“You have to know where the first-down marker is, you don’t just fall down,” Singletary said with his anger rising. Just before he was going to delve into “I want winners!” -like speech, Singletary stopped himself. “Don’t get me started,” he smoldered.

Singletary also seemed to be giving up on Davis’s competition with David Carr for the second-string quarterback job. “I just think he’s competing with himself right now. I’m pulling for him; I’m hoping. He’s just inconsistent,” Singletary said.

The coach also questioned Davis’s work ethic in the off-season, saying Davis needed to study harder to get the plays down and now he has to play catch-up and Singletary isn’t sure he can do it.

“I’m pulling for him. I’m hoping; he’s just inconsistent,” Singletary said.

Then he has him actually make the final roster, but cuts him for Troy Smith. Nate Davis couldn't have been worse than Troy Smith I don't care what anyone says.

abaddon41_80
10-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Preseason Davis was very similar to regular season Troy Smith, tbh. I figure they were pretty much the same player. Tons of inconsistency and a low completion percentage but big plays every once in a while.

Ness
10-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Preseason Davis was very similar to regular season Troy Smith, tbh. I figure they were pretty much the same player. Tons of inconsistency and a low completion percentage but big plays every once in a while.

Well, we never got to see Davis in a regular season game. With good coaching, I think Davis could excel. We already know what you get with Troy Smith as he's been with two different teams, but still played awful.

hawkeye123
10-25-2011, 02:41 PM
I can't find the article but last preseason Singletary asked Nate Davis how much of the playbook he knew and Davis said he knew around 2/3 or 3/4 of it.

No way he would be able to learn and understand Harbaugh's offense.

Ness
10-25-2011, 05:51 PM
I can't find the article but last preseason Singletary asked Nate Davis how much of the playbook he knew and Davis said he knew around 2/3 or 3/4 of it.

No way he would be able to learn and understand Harbaugh's offense.

Even if that was true, I would have taken my chances with Davis knowing that amount of the playbook over our quarterbacks that apparently knew the entire thing. At least Davis could actually throw the football LOL.

abaddon41_80
10-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Every once in a while, sure. Most of the time his passes were pretty but very off-target.

@hawkeye - I was just reading through that topic in your sig and wow some of those people most feel really stupid right now.

Ness
10-25-2011, 09:31 PM
We don't have a receiver in the top 50 are you serious...

phlysac
10-25-2011, 09:44 PM
I loved Nate Davis. Took a TON of crap for saying he was the #3 QB in that draft, behind Stafford and Freeman, and calling him a "short-Roethlisberger."

With that said, I watched him closely in his limited snaps with the Colts this preseason and it was hideous.

He turned the wrong way on handoff attempts, rolled the wrong way on sprint-out passes, and threw into double and triple coverage. He did all of that on 2 "3-and-out" possesions, I believe.

dan77733
10-25-2011, 10:22 PM

Hey hey hey!!! Dont insult Tecmo Super Bowl like that!!! LOL.

dan77733
10-25-2011, 10:23 PM

What??????

Ness
10-25-2011, 10:32 PM
What??????

We don't have a receiver in the top 50 in receiving yardage in the NFL. That's how terrible our passing game has been. Just pathetic. Walsh is rolling in his grave.

phlysac
10-25-2011, 10:49 PM
5-1 Ness. 5-1.

Top 6 RB in YPG.
Top 8 RB in Rushing Yards.
Top 10 RB in TDs
Top 9 QB in Comp. %
No.1 QB in Ints.
Top 9 QB in Rating.
Top 11 Defense in YPG
Top 4 Defense in 3rd Down %
Top 2 Defense in PPG
Top 2 Defense in Total Points
Top 2 Defense in Rushing Yards
Top 5 Defense in Rushing Yards/Play
Top 2 Defense in Rushing Yards/Game
No. 1 Defense in Rushing TDs
Top 11 Defense in Passing TDs
Top 10 Defense in Ints
Top 10 Defense in Sacks
Top 5 Defense in QB Rating

Don't just look at the negatives.

The offense will grow. It'll certainly be nice to have Crabtree and Edwards healthy together for the first time. There's been no continuity from the WRs. Let's hope that they improve as the O-Line and Running Game have improved.

Ness
10-26-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm not overlooking what we've accomplished, but this team has a long ways to go before they can contend with the Saints and the Packers. Really, what is going to happen if we get into a shootout? I want the 49ers to have the ability to keep up. When we're down twenty points we're not going to be so fortunate that the opposing team is just going to keep turning the ball over keeping us in the game.

And not having a receiver in the top 50 is just ridiculous I don't care what anyone says. You're not going to get a ring with that kind of production from the passing game.

phlysac
10-26-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm not overlooking what we've accomplished, but this team has a long ways to go before they can contend with the Saints and the Packers. Really, what is going to happen if we get into a shootout? I want the 49ers to have the ability to keep up. When we're down twenty points we're not going to be so fortunate that the opposing team is just going to keep turning the ball over keeping us in the game.

I completely understand. However, you're trying to equate a decade+ poor offense in it's first few months of adapting a system that can succeed, with all-time elite NFL offenses. The team's not there yet. Let's hope the ball-control style of Power running, and tremendously stout, turnover producing defense can prevent the team from being being behind a ton or being in shootouts. In the meantime, be patient.

Borat
10-26-2011, 12:37 AM
We don't need to even think about New Orleans or Green Bay. They aren't on the schedule. Only way we have to play those guys is in a likely 2nd round matchup. If we're in the second round, then we're having a great god damn season. So I'm not trippin on the Saints and Packers. We'd be free-rolling at that point.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-26-2011, 01:40 AM

Vernon Davis is 43rd............in the NFC :D

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-26-2011, 01:54 AM

And not having a receiver in the top 50 is just ridiculous I don't care what anyone says. You're not going to get a ring with that kind of production from the passing game.

We were also down by 2 scores to a team that was 5-0, at home, ranked near the top 10 in passing yards, and the 49ers still managed to come back and win that game. I think you are getting a little too caught up in passing yardage. You look at something like Football Outsiders ranking that came out today:
These are the Football Outsiders team efficiency ratings through seven weeks of 2011, measured by our proprietary Defense-adjusted Value Over Average (DVOA) system that breaks down every single play and compares a team's performance to the league average based on situation in order to determine value over average. (Explained further here.)

OFFENSE and DEFENSE DVOA are adjusted to consider all fumbles, kept or lost, as equal value. SPECIAL TEAMS DVOA is adjusted for type of stadium (warm, cold, dome, Denver) and week of season
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2011/week-7-dvoa-ratings
(Thru 7 Weeks)
49ers Offensive Rank: 17th
GB Offensive Rank: 2nd
NO Offensive Rank: 4th

49ers Defensive Rank: 4th
GB Defensive Rank: 18th
NO Defensive Rank: 25th

49ers Special Teams Rank: 1st
GB Special Teams Rank: 14th
NO Special Teams Rank: 11th

49ers have both GB and NO beat in 2 of the categories and 49ers are close to the middle of the pack in offense. If the trend of the 49ers defense and special teams being elite and the 49ers offense staying middle of the pack continue they have a chance to hang with anybody.

One more sign why I believe the pass game is going to improve is that through 6 weeks Alex Smith is top 10 in deep passes:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/10/21/signature-stats-snapshot-deep-passing/
Granted the number of attempts makes it a small sample size that was one area he graded out poorly in last season. Add in that the 49ers are going to be getting Edwards back (who was 8th in yards per catch last season) I feel that the arrow is pointing up for the 49ers passing game.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-26-2011, 02:16 AM
Closet 9er fan coming out. I've always liked the 9ers, but ever since moving to the Bay Area, they've become my favorite team. What Harbaugh's been able to do with this team is nothing short of amazing.

Ness
10-26-2011, 02:19 AM
We don't need to even think about New Orleans or Green Bay. They aren't on the schedule. Only way we have to play those guys is in a likely 2nd round matchup. If we're in the second round, then we're having a great god damn season. So I'm not trippin on the Saints and Packers. We'd be free-rolling at that point.

Really? I'd be a bit concerned. Winning against the Lions or the Buccaneers or even an NFC team in the playoffs at home wouldn't be a huge deal to me. The only real powerhouses in the NFC in my opinion are New Orleans and Green Bay, and we want to potentially get to the Super Bowl, we'd have to play them.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-26-2011, 03:10 AM
Really? I'd be a bit concerned. Winning against the Lions or the Buccaneers or even an NFC team in the playoffs at home wouldn't be a huge deal to me. The only real powerhouses in the NFC in my opinion are New Orleans and Green Bay, and we want to potentially get to the Super Bowl, we'd have to play them.

Wouldn't be a big deal? The 9ers haven't been in the playoffs since 2002. Set some realistic expectations, a playoff win is HUGE for a team that hasn't been in the playoffs for nine years. Rome wasn't built in a day. Especially when that day is cut short by lockout.

This team is one year removed from a 6-10 season and now they're playing great football. The goal doesn't have to be a Super Bowl. The goal shouldn't be a Super Bowl. The goal should be to play good football and make the playoffs.

Ness
10-26-2011, 03:30 AM
Wouldn't be a big deal? The 9ers haven't been in the playoffs since 2002. Set some realistic expectations, a playoff win is HUGE for a team that hasn't been in the playoffs for nine years. Rome wasn't built in a day. Especially when that day is cut short by lockout.

This team is one year removed from a 6-10 season and now they're playing great football. The goal doesn't have to be a Super Bowl. The goal shouldn't be a Super Bowl. The goal should be to play good football and make the playoffs.
Well I already assume we're making the playoffs due to the rest of the NFC West being terrible by default. Not to say we aren't playing great, but the Buccaneers and Lions aren't that big of a deal to me and now that I think of it they may not even be in the playoffs. We'll have to see. A playoff win for the 49ers would be significant, but if this is the same team that will show up in January, I would already expect us to beat a team like Tampa Bay or Detroit at home. Probably the Falcons as well seeing as Michael Turner wouldn't be able to run on us most likely and Matt Ryan's success is usually attributed to whether Turner has a good performance or not. A true test for the NFC's elite would be a matchup against the Saints or Packers.

And the goal should always be the Super Bowl. Especially if you know you're already going to the playoffs.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-26-2011, 04:09 AM
Well I already assume we're making the playoffs due to the rest of the NFC West being terrible by default. Not to say we aren't playing great, but the Buccaneers and Lions aren't that big of a deal to me and now that I think of it they may not even be in the playoffs. We'll have to see. A playoff win for the 49ers would be significant, but if this is the same team that will show up in January, I would already expect us to beat a team like Tampa Bay or Detroit at home. Probably the Falcons as well seeing as Michael Turner wouldn't be able to run on us most likely and Matt Ryan's success is usually attributed to whether Turner has a good performance or not. A true test for the NFC's elite would be a matchup against the Saints or Packers.

And the goal should always be the Super Bowl. Especially if you know you're already going to the playoffs.

The 5-2 Lions, 4-2 Bucs (who beat the Saints), aren't a big deal?

And so you expect to go from a middling team picking in the top 10 to the NFL's elite in one year, with a new coaching staff, and a lockout? Expecting too much there. Yes, the ultimate goal is a Super Bowl, but that doesn't have to be the yearly goal. Are the Dolphins, Rams, Broncos, etc, expecting a Super Bowl trip next year? No. Should they be? No. When your team has been bad, the goal and expectation isn't to get to the Super Bowl the next year, but to be competitive and maybe make the playoffs. A Super Bowl is a multi-year process -- you don't just get there one year after being a bad team.

edgrenade
10-26-2011, 06:50 AM
I think beating the Bucs 48-3 is a big deal...

abaddon41_80
10-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Ness, your looking too much at yards without realizing we are dead last in passing attempts. We haven't been passing so it is not surprising, let alone pathetic, that we don't have a receiver in the top 50 in yards.

I understand your concern that we might not be able to keep up with a team in a shootout but you also aren't being very realistic about your concerns. If we had gotten into a shootout with a team and not been able to keep up than you might have a point but we haven't needed to yet. There is no evidence that says we can but also none that says we can't. The closest situation was when we were down by 20 at halftime against one of the best offenses in the league and we came back to win with Alex throwing for about 200 yards and two touchdowns in the second half.

Our offense has looked fantastic when we came out passing in three of six games this year; Seattle, Dallas and Tampa Bay; allowing us to jump out to a double-digit lead in each game before we took our foot off of the gas. I don't think it is a coincidence that the three games we started slow; Cincinnati, Philadelphia and Detroit; were all early, east-coast games. But we finished all of those games strong, our passing offense looked good when it needed to and we won every one of those games.

Menardo75
10-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Guys leave Ness alone if the Niners win a Superbowl he's gonna find something to ***** about quickly becoming the Njx of the Niners forum.

Madirishman
10-26-2011, 10:19 AM

Yes, the Niners don't need to worry about GB or NO at this point. Keep improving, take the division, win the first game on Wild Card weekend, and see's who is there. They'd be playing with house money at that point.

Ness
10-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Guys leave Ness alone if the Niners win a Superbowl he's gonna find something to ***** about quickly becoming the Njx of the Niners forum.

Oh yes I'll definitely be mad if the 49ers win the Super Bowl. Want to put money on that?

Ness
10-26-2011, 01:50 PM
The 5-2 Lions, 4-2 Bucs (who beat the Saints), aren't a big deal?

And so you expect to go from a middling team picking in the top 10 to the NFL's elite in one year, with a new coaching staff, and a lockout? Expecting too much there. Yes, the ultimate goal is a Super Bowl, but that doesn't have to be the yearly goal. Are the Dolphins, Rams, Broncos, etc, expecting a Super Bowl trip next year? No. Should they be? No. When your team has been bad, the goal and expectation isn't to get to the Super Bowl the next year, but to be competitive and maybe make the playoffs. A Super Bowl is a multi-year process -- you don't just get there one year after being a bad team.

The Buccaneers are 4-3.

And I think a lot of the players in the 49ers lockeroom would disagree with what the yearly goal is. It's to get a ring. Especially if you already know you're going to the playoffs. You'd be content with the 49ers just winning a playoff game?

Ness
10-26-2011, 01:51 PM
I think beating the Bucs 48-3 is a big deal...

We already beat them. That's why I said if we met them again, I'd already expect a victory.

Menardo75
10-26-2011, 08:54 PM
I can't gamble but yeah I know you would. You wouldn't be able to function without complaining about something.

Brent
10-26-2011, 09:18 PM
if the Niners make the playoffs, I will be happy. If the Niners make it to round two, I will be very happy. If the Niners make it to the conference championship, I will be ecstatic; if the Niners are in the superbowl, then I will just blow a load.

Menardo75
10-27-2011, 12:28 AM
if the Niners make the playoffs, I will be happy. If the Niners make it to round two, I will be very happy. If the Niners make it to the conference championship, I will be ecstatic; if the Niners are in the superbowl, then I will just blow a load.

This right here.

Ness
10-27-2011, 12:35 AM
I can't gamble but yeah I know you would. You wouldn't be able to function without complaining about something.

Heh, it's your money. Or I guess it would be my money if you could put it down.

dan77733
10-27-2011, 10:30 AM

And you and everyone else here thought that I complained too much. LOL. Hell, here's a first. I'm happy and have nothing to complain about. :)

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Browns offense is banged up heading into Sunday:
Ben Watson (concussion) and Mohamed Massaquoi (concussion) both missed Browns practice again Thursday.

Peyton Hillis (hamstring) will not practice on Thursday.

Watson and Massaquoi are both dealing with concussions for a second time this season, so both are unlikely to play. McCoy is losing his #1 (Watson) and #3 (Massaquoi) targets in the passing game. If Hillis is out that would leave Hardesty as the starter and he averaged 2.9 yards per carry on 33 carries last week. 49ers defense could be in for a field day against McCoy.

Ness
10-27-2011, 02:09 PM
And you and everyone else here thought that I complained too much. LOL. Hell, here's a first. I'm happy and have nothing to complain about. :)

No Dan, you were just plain wrong on a lot of things. Still skeptical about the Jim Harbaugh hiring? I bet Jed York really didn't know what he was doing because he was fidgeting with that water bottle in that press conference months ago.

Borat
10-27-2011, 03:07 PM
No Dan, you were just plain wrong on a lot of things. Still skeptical about the Jim Harbaugh hiring? I bet Jed York really didn't know what he was doing because he was fidgeting with that water bottle in that press conference months ago.

Haha. I forgot about that. Wasn't Dan's finest hour.

PatrickWillis
10-27-2011, 03:29 PM
We don't have a receiver in the top 50 in receiving yardage in the NFL. That's how terrible our passing game has been. Just pathetic. Walsh is rolling in his grave.

Thats not on the receivers, that's thanks to the lockout and Harbaugh being forced to gameplan for Mr. Eyebrows Alex Smith.

Once we get a legit QB unlike the classy genius from Utah we're going to be rolling.

abaddon41_80
10-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Thats not on the receivers, that's thanks to the lockout and Harbaugh being forced to gameplan for Mr. Eyebrows Alex Smith.

Once we get a legit QB unlike the classy genius from Utah we're going to be rolling.

The 49ers have the highest percentage of dropped passes in the league and are bottom ten in average YAC. All on Alex.

PatrickWillis
10-27-2011, 06:14 PM
The 49ers have the highest percentage of dropped passes in the league and are bottom ten in average YAC. All on Alex.

Dropped passes is a very subjective statistic. Everyone counts them differently.

For example, the high lasers he throws on the shorter routes that barely graze the receivers finger tips get counted as "drops". That's a complete joke. The elite QB's throw the short and intermediate passes at the receivers numbers. But poor poor awexcuse gets more excuses because his mechanics are awful and gets by with grazed fingertip drops. Truly a joke but the good thing s it tells me who exactly watches the games objectively and who is a stat-wh*re.

YAC is the same thing. Hard to generate yards after the catch when passes are not in stride or on time. But of course, the spreadsheets don't tell you that.

abaddon41_80
10-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Watch the games and tell me where the passes that have been dropped are off-target or too fast. They simply haven't been this year.

PatrickWillis
10-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Watch the games and tell me where the passes that have been dropped are off-target or too fast. They simply haven't been this year.

Guess you were busy with the family during the detroit game.

abaddon41_80
10-27-2011, 06:41 PM
There were three dropped passes at Detroit, at least that I remember. One by Crabtree, one by Gore and one by Delanie in the endzone. The one to Crabtree was a perfectly thrown fade that hit Crabtree right in the hands, the one to Gore was a swing that had just the right amount of air under it and the one to Walker was a little low but well-thrown considering the pressure Alex was under.

PatrickWillis
10-27-2011, 06:48 PM
There were three dropped passes at Detroit, at least that I remember. One by Crabtree, one by Gore and one by Delanie in the endzone. The one to Crabtree was a perfectly thrown fade that hit Crabtree right in the hands, the one to Gore was a swing that had just the right amount of air under it and the one to Walker was a little low but well-thrown considering the pressure Alex was under.

I would agree with your description of all 3. Legitimate drops, however I would make the point that the fade, while well thrown by Alex, was a catch of extreme difficulty as the defender was draped all over him. Yes, it hit his hands and I would like to see those caught, but context is also needed. However, there were also other "drops" that grazed finger tips that had no shot of being caught. 2 of them were 8 yard hitches, one to Ginn, one to Crabtree. Another one to Gore that was thrown at his shoelaces. But it "hit his hands" so the old ******** cliche of "if it hits your hands, it should be caught" was used.

Then that's not counting the times he kept overthrowing Crabtree nearly getting him killed. The 27 yard reception to Crabtree over the middle on 3rd and 14, would have been a GREAT chance for some more YAC but the pass was so awful Crabtree had to contort his body in mid air while leaping to his highest point to snag it. Is that a play we blame on the receiver cause he didn't get any YAC? I don't think it should. If anything, Crabtree deserves bonus points on that particular play for bailing out Alex.

General point is this: Stats certainly do not tell the whole story. ESPECIALLY a metric as flawed as "teh QB ratingz" or "drops" where everyone counts it differently.

abaddon41_80
10-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Any decent NFL receiver makes that catch, Crabtree just isn't one. As for the high passes to Crabtree, they have already been discussed at length. I, for one, am in the camp that Crabtree is running lazy routes or simply cutting routes short. I have never seen Alex throw pass as high to other receivers as he does to Crabtree and that leads me to believe it is either for the aforementioned reason or just because of a lack of chemistry.

When I am talking about drops, btw, I mean on-target drops that should be caught. If a receiver jumps five feet into the air and one-hands a pass but drops it when he is hit I am not going to count that, and I am sure no one would. There haven't been any passes like that this year. The vast majority of the dropped passes by the 49ers have been on-target.

Menardo75
10-27-2011, 09:06 PM
I would agree with your description of all 3. Legitimate drops, however I would make the point that the fade, while well thrown by Alex, was a catch of extreme difficulty as the defender was draped all over him. Yes, it hit his hands and I would like to see those caught, but context is also needed. However, there were also other "drops" that grazed finger tips that had no shot of being caught. 2 of them were 8 yard hitches, one to Ginn, one to Crabtree. Another one to Gore that was thrown at his shoelaces. But it "hit his hands" so the old ******** cliche of "if it hits your hands, it should be caught" was used.

Then that's not counting the times he kept overthrowing Crabtree nearly getting him killed. The 27 yard reception to Crabtree over the middle on 3rd and 14, would have been a GREAT chance for some more YAC but the pass was so awful Crabtree had to contort his body in mid air while leaping to his highest point to snag it. Is that a play we blame on the receiver cause he didn't get any YAC? I don't think it should. If anything, Crabtree deserves bonus points on that particular play for bailing out Alex.

General point is this: Stats certainly do not tell the whole story. ESPECIALLY a metric as flawed as "teh QB ratingz" or "drops" where everyone counts it differently.

If all you're going to do is bash Alex then you should save it we have all heard enough.

Ness
10-27-2011, 09:57 PM
In the last game Alex had some bad throws. I will say that the receivers dropped a few easy ones. Crabtree should have caught that ball down the sideline. It was placed perfectly, and even though he had to fight Crabtree could have made a better effort. He got his hands on it and just couldn't grasp the ball. We pay him to make those big plays.

Walker should have caught that ball in the endzone earlier.

Gore dropped an easy swing pass. There was another play where Alex was rushed though, ran to his right and threw a dart to Gore that Gore couldn't possibly catch because Smith rocketed the ball way to fast for Gore to catch it. I believe that was a third down.

All in all Alex's accuracy was probably the worst this season in that game. He kept throwing way too high to Crabtree. His one good deep pass was to Ginn who may have caught it if he didn't barely stumble at the end. It was a perfectly placed pass.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-28-2011, 01:39 AM
49ers beat writer for CBS Sportsline Michael Erler had two very good write ups on Alex Smith:
http://neurosiswithballs.blogspot.com/2011/10/fallacy-of-hidden-quarterback-and-week.html

There is one national story angle that's picking up some steam that's irking me a little though. You hear it from guys like Bill Simmons, Mike Lombardi, Peter King, and even the ex-scouts like Dave Razzano and Greg Cosell, that Harbaugh is somehow "hiding" or "protecting" Alex Smith. That the 49ers are winning in spite of him rather than because of him. Maybe that was true at Detroit, where Smith played poorly, but I think for the most part, it's a false narrative.

I want you to look at something.

QB A: 26.3
QB B: 28.8
QB C: 28.6

A is the number of pass attempts that Smith is averaging this season. Remember, he only had 19 at the blowout win over Tampa. B is the number that Andrew Luck is averaging for Stanford this season. C is what Luck averaged under Harbaugh last season.

Smith is generally thought of as one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL. Luck is thought of as the best quarterback prospect since Peyton Manning. Two attempts per game separate them.

Maybe, just maybe, Smith's statistics are more reflective of Harbaugh's run-first philosophy than any sense of fear or dread at having Smith wing it.

http://neurosiswithballs.blogspot.com/2011/10/alex-smith-deserves-better-than-lazy.html

Thought these were interesting coming from a beat writer who in the past has been critical of Smith.

PatrickWillis
10-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Any decent NFL receiver makes that catch, Crabtree just isn't one. As for the high passes to Crabtree, they have already been discussed at length. I, for one, am in the camp that Crabtree is running lazy routes or simply cutting routes short. I have never seen Alex throw pass as high to other receivers as he does to Crabtree and that leads me to believe it is either for the aforementioned reason or just because of a lack of chemistry.

When I am talking about drops, btw, I mean on-target drops that should be caught. If a receiver jumps five feet into the air and one-hands a pass but drops it when he is hit I am not going to count that, and I am sure no one would. There haven't been any passes like that this year. The vast majority of the dropped passes by the 49ers have been on-target.

Ummm...no. Very few receivers in football catch that pass, and you're missing the point anyways. It impeded Crabtree from gaining YAC. Had the pass been thrown in stride and on the numbers there was a **** ton of room for extra yardage. So you want to blame the receivers for the lack of YAC but you discount the fact that accurate throws in stride would certainly help that. Again, spread sheets don't tell you this.

As for his route running...baloney. Watch his stutter and go against Nnamdi....This fallacy that he runs lazy routes needs to be squashed for f*cks sake. You could make the argument that the rapport with Alex and Crabtree isn't there but there is nothing wrong with the kid's ability to run a route. The question with Crabtree is how high his ceiling is knowing he has average speed....Personally I think despite his drops, he has shown very strong hands when catching passes incredibly high, is physical, attacks the ball and a good runner after the catch. Still unsure if he'll ever be a true #1 but I sure as hell know he is at the least, a fine young talent at the position. Whereas Alex, I am 99% positive, will never be an elite player despite what his QB rating says. And I'm still not sure if he is even above average. Pretty clear he's a game manager.

PatrickWillis
10-28-2011, 03:32 AM
49ers beat writer for CBS Sportsline Michael Erler had two very good write ups on Alex Smith:
http://neurosiswithballs.blogspot.com/2011/10/fallacy-of-hidden-quarterback-and-week.html

http://neurosiswithballs.blogspot.com/2011/10/alex-smith-deserves-better-than-lazy.html

Thought these were interesting coming from a beat writer who in the past has been critical of Smith.

Again, stats-wh*ring. Yes Harbaugh prefers to run the ball. Duh. Most of Alex's big yardage plays have come from play design. Ones that come to mind:

-TD pass to Walker against Dallas. Play design. Got delanie matched against Anthony Spencer thanks to scheme. Easy throw.

-Long pass play to vernon against Cincinatti on the out and up. Play design. Difficulty of throw= Laughable. Wide f*cking open.

-TD pass to Joshua Morgan against Philly....Perfect time for a slant and Morgan does the rest after the catch. Again....easy throw against the soft spot of the defense.

-27 yard completion to Crabtree against Detroit...Once again, thanks to scheme Crabtree runs WIDE on a deep crosser, and Crabtree bails out Alex with a stunning catch(dont let abowers fool you). So a combination of scheme and receiver play.

- Both TD pass to Vernon against TB. First one was an excellent call from an unusual formation. Alex deserves some credit for taking a lick but Vernon was wide, and did the rest with a beast run after the catch.

2nd one, Vernon against Ronde old asss Barber 1 on 1....uhh yeah, major mismatch, excellent scheming, and another easy throw

Then there have been a few that were actually stick throws that Alex has made.

TD pass to Walker against Tampa Bay. Excellent throw, perfection.

Back shoulder to Vernon weak 1 against Seattle. Nice improv play and a perfect throw on the run.

That's all I can remember.

The route combinations are ENTIRELY different here with Alex than what he called at Stanford...and he sure as hell has more skill position talent here than he did last year with Doug Baldwin and Ryan Whalen as his starters. Luck can pretty much make every throw on the football field. Alex, obviously, cannot. So while the NUMBER of ass attempts is similar, and Harbaugh DOES like to run the ball, he is hiding Alex in the route combinations called because he has the skill position talent to make it work that he did not have at Stanford.

abaddon41_80
10-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Is it just my imagination or did PatrickWillis go from negative rep to ~+7500 within a few minutes? Stop +repping him, ness ;)

Rabscuttle
10-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Awesome, don't count success, winning, good plays or mistakes but others, but just use his mistakes and the talent of his receivers and scheme as factors in the critique. Sheer broken record brilliance.

Ness
10-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Is it just my imagination or did PatrickWillis go from negative rep to ~+7500 within a few minutes? Stop +repping him, ness ;)

I'm not giving him a reputation boost. He's on my ignore list.

Although from what I've seen him talk about in quotes, I have to agree. The 49ers need another starting quarterback for the foreseeable future if they want to contend with teams like the Saints and Packers. Alex just isn't the guy.

Brent
10-28-2011, 07:38 PM
I laughed when he said:

Guess you were busy with the family during the detroit game.

dan77733
10-28-2011, 08:12 PM

Honestly, I have more confidence in Harbaugh than our last three head coaches combined and yeah, I'll admit it, I was wrong. But you're worse because even when the team is winning and doing good, you still complain. You never seem to stop bitching about Smith and quite honestly, its getting old. Give it a ******* rest. Alex Smith isnt great but he's solid and getting better. Smith just needed an offensive minded HC like Harbaugh who thus far seems to know what he's doing. Smith finally has offensive stability.

Haha. I forgot about that. Wasn't Dan's finest hour.

Like I said above, I was wrong. I'll admit it but at least im not bitching about mickey mouse bullcrap like Ness does all the damn time. Come on, we're 5-1 and playing good for the first time since 2002. No 49ers fan should be bitching.