PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Harrison has brain tumor

Splat
10-20-2011, 12:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/20/jerome-harrison-has-brain-tumor/

The proposed trade of running back Jerome Harrison (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3744/jerome-harrison) to Philadelphia was voided because Harrison was found to have a brain tumor.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter breaks the news and points out that the failed trade could be a blessing in disguise (http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter/status/127064269824065536) for Harrison. Without the trade, Harrison wouldn’t have taken a physical that revealed the tumor.
Well this sucks.

tjsunstein
10-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Well, that physical certainly turned out to be a good thing.

MetSox17
10-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Deep inside of me i was really hoping this was James Harrison instead of Jerome.

T-RICH49
10-20-2011, 12:42 PM
God works in mysterious ways.Thank God he got the physical

Bengalsrocket
10-20-2011, 12:47 PM
"A blessing in disguise" - way to dress up **** news Adam Schefter. Now the guy doesn't have a team AND he has a brain tumor.

Breed
10-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Is there a cure for this?

niel89
10-20-2011, 01:07 PM
His long term prognosis is supposed to be pretty good.

abaddon41_80
10-20-2011, 01:25 PM
"A blessing in disguise" - way to dress up **** news Adam Schefter. Now the guy doesn't have a team AND he has a brain tumor.

I think he probably would have still had the brain tumor without getting the physical.

BmoreBlackByrdz
10-20-2011, 01:46 PM
I think he probably would have still had the brain tumor without getting the physical.

yeah but the fact that he got the physical is why he found out about the tumor.

Without the physical, he would have found out about the tumor much later and his situation would have been a lot worse.

abaddon41_80
10-20-2011, 02:12 PM
yeah but the fact that he got the physical is why he found out about the tumor.

Without the physical, he would have found out about the tumor much later and his situation would have been a lot worse.

That was my point. Schefter isn't dressing anything up, it is a blessing in disguise that he was going to be traded.

dj825
10-20-2011, 02:13 PM

dude no, physicals are the leading cause of brain tumors.

srsly though thank God he found out when he did, hope he recovers quickly.

CC.SD
10-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Hopefully this trade saved his life, sucks regardless though.

Jvig43
10-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Deep inside of me i was really hoping this was James Harrison instead of Jerome.

I came in here thinking it was James Harrison because thats what what I originally jumped to.

descendency
10-20-2011, 02:45 PM

getting away from philly.

SickwithIt1010
10-20-2011, 02:47 PM

Thats nice of you...prick.

PoopSandwich
10-20-2011, 02:49 PM

I'm not sure James Harrison has a brain to get a tumor.

On a side note, hopefully everything ends up alright with Jerome I always like him as a Brown.

soybean
10-20-2011, 03:03 PM

as far as i know, there's no cure for cancer.

Rabscuttle
10-20-2011, 03:23 PM

Some tumors can be removed and the patient goes on living life, often with a new outlook on things. Others aren't so lucky and nothing can be done

OzTitan
10-20-2011, 04:44 PM
I guess NFL physicals are pretty comprehensive to pick this up. Would he have had a CT scan to find this?

PackerLegend
10-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I guess NFL physicals are pretty comprehensive to pick this up. Would he have had a CT scan to find this?

Yea I was wondering how just a physical would pick it up... Its obviously more in depth then your average person I would guess but still.

shylo3716
10-20-2011, 05:02 PM
So what will happen for Harrison as far as the remainder of the season?

tjsunstein
10-20-2011, 05:21 PM
It'd be kind of ****** up to outright cut him or release him. I'm going to guess the PUP list and him and the team will come to a settlement.

shylo3716
10-20-2011, 05:32 PM
It'd be kind of ****** up to outright cut him or release him. I'm going to guess the PUP list and him and the team will come to a settlement.

I would hate for him to be released when he has fulfilled all his duties/obligations to the team, before this was brought up. It would only be right to give him a settlement.

mqtirishfan
10-20-2011, 08:30 PM
I would hate for him to be released when he has fulfilled all his duties/obligations to the team, before this was brought up. It would only be right to give him a settlement.

The Fords seem like decent people. I bet they help him out.

XxXdragonXxX
10-20-2011, 08:45 PM

I would guess that with all the emphasis on concussions, they would scan your brain to make sure you aren't 1 concussion away from death.

jayceheathman
10-20-2011, 09:19 PM
What kind of tests are done to find a brain tumor? I played football in high school and the doctors never went near my head for a physical. Was there just a big lump on his skull or something?

tjsunstein
10-20-2011, 09:21 PM
The Fords seem like decent people. I bet they help him out.
As far a PR moves go, it would look really good if they did. Not just to the fans but players across the league. Kind of a relieving any tension that the owners and players have/had towards each other for a little especially after this offseason. Not just for the Lions but for the NFL. Showing the owners are sensitive to the problems the players face and are willing as well as plenty capable of helping them out.

tjsunstein
10-20-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm really curious about how comprehensive these physicals are now.

If you’ve had a surgery on a joint, like a shoulder or knee, the doctors check to make sure that the joint is stable and tight. They also check it for arthritis. If they find arthritis, they assess how severe the arthritis is, and make a guesstimate as to how long you’d be able to play with the condition. If they think that the arthritis will negatively impact your performance, they will red flag you and you won’t even know it.
After the death of Gaines Adams last year from a heart condition, NFL teams have started putting prospects under more advanced exams. They will also look at your family’s medical history to find hereditary m edical issues like cancer, diabetes, heart issues, etc. Even players with a history of concussion issues can have their draft stock lowered after going through the NFL’s physicals at the combine.

http://www.get2theleague.com/money/draft-stock-can-take-a-dive-after-nfl-physical

I'd be willing to go through a physical that is standard for NFL players at the combine. It'd be really interesting.

I researched a bit and found as much general information as you can I guess. If anyone can find team specific criteria, let me know.

MetSox17
10-20-2011, 10:20 PM
With the huge concentration on head injuries these past few years, it wouldn't be surprising to find out they've incorporated CT Scans into physicals. Since the league mandates certain regulations when concussions are present, i imagine it would be a huge deterrent to trade for a guy with visible brain trauma. Figure they went in looking for any signs of concussions and saw a white spot the size of a fist instead.

tjsunstein
10-20-2011, 11:12 PM
With the huge concentration on head injuries these past few years, it wouldn't be surprising to find out they've incorporated CT Scans into physicals. Since the league mandates certain regulations when concussions are present, i imagine it would be a huge deterrent to trade for a guy with visible brain trauma. Figure they went in looking for any signs of concussions and saw a white spot the size of a fist instead.
CT Scans, full body x-rays, stress tests... things of that nature make sense for various reasons. Although, it seems like a ton for a player to go through, yet alone putting every single guy you bring in through it. Why brings me to my curiosity, what would be 'standard'?

Scotty D
10-21-2011, 02:03 AM

He should go on IR. I think the Bills kept putting Kevin Everett on IR every year so he got his pension and benefits.

Splat
10-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Jerome Harrison’s season officially ends; Lions sign Buckley (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/21/harrisons-season-officially-ends-lions-sign-buckley/)

The early word about Lions running back Jerome Harrison (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3744/jerome-harrison)’s brain tumor (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/20/jerome-harrison-has-brain-tumor/) is that doctors caught it early. ESPN’s Adam Schefter has indicated that Harrison’s long-term prognosis is good.

In the short term, Harrison obviously won’t be playing football. The Lions officially placed him on the non-football injury list Friday.

They signed former Eagles running back Eldra Buckley to take his place on the roster.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-21-2011, 01:26 PM
I assume their physicals have become far more comprehensive after the death of Gaines Adams like a month and half after he was traded to the Bears.

But Idk.

T-RICH49
10-21-2011, 03:27 PM
from what I heard.Harrison was complaining of headaches and the docs brought him in for the CT scan

Splat
10-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Jerome Harrison’s surgery deemed a success (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/23/jerome-harrisons-surgery-deemed-a-success/)