PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Gabbert so far?

GatorsBullsFan
10-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Ok he is 60 for 123 48.8 CMP% 717 Yrds 4 TDs 2 INTs 71.1 QB Rating

Whats everyone's thoughts on his play so far with really no help from Marcedes and not really a spectacular WR core.

Hurricanes25
10-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I think he's been ok so far. He's a rookie and like you said, he doesn't have much to work with.

Babylon
10-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Not sure i even have to look at the numbers to see he's pretty much who we thought he was, so far. Ok arm, can move a little and very suspect under pressure.

Rabscuttle
10-22-2011, 01:17 PM
This is going to be an odd situation as they try to find a coach that wants Gabbert as his guy and attempts to build a team around him. Talk about wasting someone's time, that's what the Jags are doing with guys like Gabbert and MJD. This has the making of Alex Smith, The Early Years, part II.

V.I.P
10-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Numbers look ok, but haven't seen him play, will get my first look at him on MNF.

Complex
10-22-2011, 01:35 PM
IDK, I haven't watched a Jaguars game besides the titans game.

jrdrylie
10-22-2011, 01:49 PM
I haven't been impressed with him at all. I'm looking forward to seeing him on Monday night.

FUNBUNCHER
10-22-2011, 01:51 PM
He looks like a rookie with special tools. Arm is strong and he seems willing to make his read and let the ball rip.
Less tentative than I'd thought he'd be.

I don't think he'll bust, but I don't know if the Jags will win another game this year either.

Raiderz4Life
10-22-2011, 01:53 PM
This is going to be an odd situation as they try to find a coach that wants Gabbert as his guy and attempts to build a team around him. Talk about wasting someone's time, that's what the Jags are doing with guys like Gabbert and MJD. This has the making of Alex Smith, The Early Years, part II.

Say what now?? Keep reading it over and over but still doesn't make sense.

keylime_5
10-22-2011, 02:11 PM
he's a raw rookie with a great arm that doesn't have a lot of weapons. Let's see how he does in 2 years after they bring in some talent.

Rabscuttle
10-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Say what now?? Keep reading it over and over but still doesn't make sense.

The franchise has no obvious direction and can't even get around to firing its lame duck head coach. When ownership realizes that losing is a big part of keeping those seats empty and that lost revenue is costing them more than a decent coaching staff then they will start over.

At that point they have to find a coach that hopefully is compatable with Gabbert. Until then, everyone involved is pretty much just wasting time.

If the Jags go the same route as the Niners and hire defensive guys and rotate offensive co-ordinators you could see a guy with a lot of talent experience an unpleasant NFL career. I liked Gabbert coming out and don't want to see this happen to him.

GatorsBullsFan
10-22-2011, 02:28 PM

Im not sure what to say...not really sure if this guy is being serious. I mean Gabbert hasn't done anything to remotely believe he could be a Alex Smith and knocking MJD is just stupid.

Rabscuttle
10-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Im not sure what to say...not really sure if this guy is being serious. I mean Gabbert hasn't done anything to remotely believe he could be a Alex Smith and knocking MJD is just stupid.

Good ******* god. I did the opposite of knock MJD and not putting a young quarterback in a good situation runs the risk of repeating a bad situation. You don't happen to be related to Maxine Watters, do you?

M.O.T.H.
10-22-2011, 02:39 PM
I havent been impressed either. But that's kind of to be expected. He is the one guy that I really didnt want to see thrown out there right away. The guy looks demoralized often already. I never thought he'd be ready for this, out of the gates. And thought early beatings could lead to longterm negative ramifcations for Gabbert, personally. I think his bust potential is increased quite a bit, by being thrown out there right now, opposed to a year or two of sitting.

What I'm trying to say, in short...is that I liked him more when I thought he'd get a little more seasoning on the bench.

cvv84
10-22-2011, 02:47 PM
I think he's a rookie thrown into the fire with little to no offensive weapons during a shortened offseason.

GatorsBullsFan
10-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Good ******* god. I did the opposite of knock MJD and not putting a young quarterback in a good situation runs the risk of repeating a bad situation. You don't happen to be related to Maxine Watters, do you?

Actually I think we have a direction and it will not be hard to find a coach at all. This is a very young team that needs a coach to lead them. I mean being in a small market I think keeping Del Rio on for the rebuilding stage at a cheap price was a very smart idea. We are a WR playmaker away from being playoff team.

M.O.T.H.
10-22-2011, 03:04 PM
The Jags are years away yet...it will take more than one playmaker at WR to get you guys to the playoffs.

GatorsBullsFan
10-22-2011, 03:08 PM
The Jags are years away yet...it will take more than one playmaker at WR to get you guys to the playoffs.

We have all of our corner pieces in place...our defense is playing very well Dwight Lowery is looking really good at FS. Our WRs are playing horrible the reason we brought in MSW...hoping whatever is wrong with Marcedes he will be back to form next year

tjsunstein
10-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Can we get a thread for this draft class as a whole so I can navigate away from how everyone feels about these rookies 6 weeks in? It's pretty irrelevant right now.

Bengalsrocket
10-22-2011, 04:24 PM
He's no Andy Dalton, that's for sure :)

Babylon
10-22-2011, 04:30 PM

I think you can be more than one playmaker away and still be within a year or two of the playoffs. There isnt a ton of differance in a lot of these teams that a good draft and a free agent or two cant cure.

GatorsBullsFan
10-22-2011, 04:57 PM
He's no Andy Dalton, that's for sure :)

Seriously? compare who Dalton is throwing to and what Gabbert is throwing to. One name says it all....AJ Green

tjsunstein
10-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Can we get a thread for this draft class as a whole so I can navigate away from how everyone feels about these rookies 6 weeks in? It's pretty irrelevant right now.
So, you're telling me we actually have one of these but threads like this continue to exist? There's been nothing special about Gabbert so far, so why is it necessary to make a thread about him?

Rookie Watch Thread (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48179&page=16)

The main purpose is for people to follow how rookies have been doing and discuss. So, do that, do exactly that. But in the thread that was made for it.

JagWired32
10-22-2011, 05:08 PM

please explain lol. Don't just look at our record and say this, because imo, this is off base. Our defense continues to improve and is top 8, we have a top 10 running game with one of the better RB's in the game, we just really need a really good WR and could use some o-line help and a good pass rusher at DE.

Rabscuttle
10-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Seriously? compare who Dalton is throwing to and what Gabbert is throwing to. One name says it all....AJ Green

<sigh>
He shouldn't have to explain the feelings behind this.

JagWired32
10-22-2011, 05:12 PM
And anyway, idk if you all have watched them, but Gabbert has been impressive. He has a few flaws that need work, but Marcedes alone has dropped 5 passes, and our o-line gives the kid no time to set his feet and really put it all into his throw. He has some issues with his footwork, he needs to stand bigger in the pocket, and does overthrow his recievers once in a while because of his footwork. But this guy makes throws that you wouldnt believe, and has a hell of an arm. I think people underestimate what this guy would do if he had a guy like AJ Green, MSW will definetely help (He was great here, with him getting cut he said this is his wake up call, if he is telling the truth, than we got a steal with picking him up).

M.O.T.H.
10-22-2011, 05:24 PM
please explain lol. Don't just look at our record and say this, because imo, this is off base. Our defense continues to improve and is top 8, we have a top 10 running game with one of the better RB's in the game, we just really need a really good WR and could use some o-line help and a good pass rusher at DE.

I've watched the Jags play. Hence why I said Gabbert hasnt impressed me. It's a painful team to watch right now. And no, a playmaking WR isnt going to magically turn this team into a playoff team. Gabbert is going to have tons of growing pains for quite a while yet. One receiver, who will probably be a rookie, at that, isnt going to help Gabbert get over all his woes. I see no way Gabbert is ready to help a team make the playoffs next season. I dont see how anyone could make a prediction like that. And lets say they add a 1st round talent at WR...you'd have a rough around the edges 2nd year QB and potentially a rookie #1 WR. Not really a recipe for immediate success. I do like where your defense is going...but the offense and the QB are a ways away yet. You made a switch to a rookie QB with an offense with MJD and fairly bare cupboard. It's going to be a bit of a process.

JagWired32
10-22-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't think it will take as long as you think, and it seams like your alot lower on Gabbert than me, so i dont see us agreeing on this lol. Read what i said above about the guy. He is raw and he is improving drastically every week, and all the defenses he has faced besides the Saints have been top defenses. What do you expect? The guy is still learning the game, he didnt have all offseason to work with his teammates, he just started getting first team reps a few weeks ago. For all that going against him, along with an o-line that doesnt give him time and a WR corps that drops the ball alot, i think he is doing pretty damn well.

MetSox17
10-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Haven't the Jags been looking for a pass rushing end for like, 8 years now?

JagWired32
10-22-2011, 05:35 PM
our pass rush isnt great, but we are middle of the pack with 11 sacks this year. We dont have that ideal top DE that you want, we do need one, but like I said, its been decent this year, even without Kampman.

Bengalsrocket
10-22-2011, 05:47 PM

I was just joking anyways. Dalton is also a rookie who, in the end, could still be a bust. I'm not using this thread as an opportunity to make a serious comparison between the two.

JagWired32
10-22-2011, 05:52 PM
I love what i see from Dalton, I think him and Aj Green are gonna be pretty good together.

dj825
10-22-2011, 10:43 PM
all the defenses he has faced besides the Saints have been top defenses.

idk, but i dont thin the Panthers are a top defense either...other than that you are correct. i only saw him against Carolina though which was his first start and wasnt exactly prime conditions for any QB to throw the ball let alone a rookie in his first start with a short offseason. he looked ok in that game for the most part, didnt look bad really ever but wasnt that good either. overall hes about what i thought he would be, and should get better as long as they dont do what Rabscuttle was saying and follow San Frans lead with coaches. he will also need some good receiving targets.

PACKmanN
10-22-2011, 11:47 PM

Rodgers wasnt McCarty`s guy. Matter of fact, when he coached the offense for the 49ers he liked Smith more so than Rodgers. That is why the 49ers took Smith over Rodgers.

BigBanger
10-24-2011, 03:36 AM
I think Monday Night is going to be a brutal for matchup for him. The game is so fast for him and he is struggling. He's not showing any poise in the pocket. With that said, he has made some great throws with some great anticipation, but he is still very raw and needs to work on his footwork to improve his accuracy. Poise in the pocket and the speed of the game look like major issues that he's struggling to adapt to right now, which is not atypical for a rookie. Cam Newton's poise is atypical for a rookie.

I think year 2 and 3 will be crucial and dictate his future success. He should be the type that makes fairly big leaps between each year of his first three seasons. I think the Ravens are going to kill him though. That defense is really good and he's not ready for them. He doesn't have the patience or talent around him to really compete.

Andy Dalton has shown much better poise in the pocket. The game doesn't seem as fast and he's making good reads and great decisions with the ball. He's also a really good leader. Dalton has been very impressive. He's on a much better team with a bona fide #1 WR, but the two are light years apart right now.

prock
10-24-2011, 04:56 AM
My concern with Gabbert in the pre-draft are pretty evident in his play thus far, and that is he ******* freaks out in the pocket at mystery defenders, or if a defender gets near. I saw a play where there wasn't anyone within like 5 yards and he just booked it like 12 yards back and threw a terrible pass.

nepg
10-24-2011, 05:35 AM
Yeah, the OL isn't the issue for Jacksonville. That OL is actually pretty solid. It's Gabbert. He freaks the **** out when his first read isn't open, starts running around aimlessly, and wrecks his protection. That was the big issue with him coming out of Mizzou. I figured he'd overcome it with some time, but the Jaguars didn't give the guy a chance to work on that.

Caulibflower
10-24-2011, 05:55 AM
Poor Jags fans. Gabbert's going to be the death of pro football in Jacksonville.

bigbluedefense
10-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Not a fan. I have bias though, I hated him as a prospect coming out.

But so far he's done nothing to make me believe he will be a good player in this league.

nepg
10-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Not a fan. I have bias though, I hated him as a prospect coming out.

But so far he's done nothing to make me believe he will be a good player in this league.
I think he'll be good, it just might take awhile for him to stop panicking when things don't go perfectly. I always liked him as a prospect, just not as much as Locker, Cam, or Mallett.

murdamal86
10-24-2011, 07:42 AM
I think Gabbert has looked ok. I see the bright spots in him but it sucks that he has NO talent on the outside. Mike Thomas was playing out of position on the outside and all you need to know is that Jason Hill is his #1 WR. He needs Blackmon and a solid veteran at #2 like a Gaffney or Burleson type.

Dallas357
10-24-2011, 09:12 AM
The Jaguars are a #1 reciever from being a playoff team

10-6 talent with 4-12 coaching

murdamal86
10-24-2011, 09:40 AM
The Jaguars are a #1 reciever from being a playoff team

10-6 talent with 4-12 coaching

I'd say we're more in line with 7-10 wins with a #1 WR pending Gabbert's development and MOJO's health

Iamcanadian
10-24-2011, 05:11 PM
He obviously will need at least 3 years to develop which is average for NFL QB's Come back in 3 years and we'll know if he has the right stuff. Right now on a bad team, he is overwhelmed.

DraftSavant
10-24-2011, 05:41 PM
His NFL tape looks like his college tape so far. The difference being that 75% of his throws are no longer "take the shotgun snap and throw the slant/flat combo."

At a certain point, you are who you are, and people have been making excuses for him for years now. In college, it was his o-line, his receivers, the coaching, the scheme. Same thing has carried over to the pros.

He's not the type of player that makes his o-line's job easier, either. He's still very green in understand how his drops synch up with the timing of routes, and he scrambles into pressure.

He has arm talent and athleticism. Everyone knows that. However, he was and still is very uncomfortable with bodies around him, he's overreactive to opposing color, he absolutely wilts when he perceives pressure, and he's playing fast and out of control. I simply don't know if these are coachable issues.

I understand that the offensive situation in Jax is terrible, but he needs a lot of work. I still see him as the second coming of David Carr - a guy with physical talent who will get excuses made for him for the majority of career.

bam bam
10-24-2011, 05:45 PM
If he does become a victim of gang sodomy tonight, then I will have respect for him. But he gon get raped.

DraftSavant
10-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Random thought, but if you could combine Gabbert and Leftwhich into one player, you'd have one hell of a quarterback.

jrdrylie
10-24-2011, 08:46 PM
He looks like crap tonight. He isn't feeling the pressure well at all. He looks afraid to go deep. I'm afraid he might be the next Captain Checkdown.

DraftSavant
10-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Like I said......David Carr.

hockey619
10-25-2011, 08:18 AM
his problems from college have carried over. He feels a phantom rush after the first guy isnt open and struggles to read coverage.

im sorry but this guy is going to bust, he sucks. Getting scared in the pocket is a huge red flag. As an NFL qb, you need to be able to take a hit and you need to be tough.

No man will follow Gabberts lead because he is a p****.

nepg
10-25-2011, 08:26 AM
I love that people always blame his OL. That OL was average last year and they added talent this year (on top of the young guys developing). Mizzou's OL is very good. Gabbert makes OLs look bad because he scrambles aimlessly and creates pressure that wouldn't have been there otherwise. That's what's holding him back. It's a massive issue that "experts" refused to take into account when they were pumping rainbows up his butt before the draft.

bucfan12
10-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Hm, I actually liked the way he played last night. I had him as my number 1 QB coming out in 2011 draft, and so far I'll stick to it. (too early to bail).

What I liked from him was with all the pressure and WRs not getting open much last night, he didn't make any stupid throws that would cause TOs. If he missed, he missed where only his guy or no1 could get it.

He's pretty much got no WRs to work with. Mike Thomas is a #3 WR playing the 1 position, while Jason Hill is terrible. Porbably a 4th stringer. It;s not Gabberts fault Mercedes Lewis hasn't shown up to play this year, and drops a TD pass, where Gabbert made the perfect throw right where it needed to be.

I also think him being coached by Dirik Koeter is going to do wonders for him. He's very underrated as an Offensive Coordinator and play caller.

vidae
10-25-2011, 10:45 AM
It really isn't too early to bail when Cam looks legit as all hell.

bucfan12
10-25-2011, 11:03 AM
It really isn't too early to bail when Cam looks legit as all hell.

Cam looks great, but he's got the mobility that's also making teams key on as well.

I don't want to make any other comparisons to a certain QB who was able to do all that with his feet his rookie year, but Cam seems to be a better passer than I'd thought he'd be.

FUNBUNCHER
10-25-2011, 11:15 AM
If Gabbert can improve his pocket presence, work through his anxiety about the pass rush so he has time to go through his progressions or at least find his hot read, Blaine should work out fine for Jacksonville.

But things like pocket presence and poise are IMO intangibles; either a guy has that from HS or he doesn't.

If you don't have the psychological makeup for the position, playing QB can be the most terrifying spot to play on a football team.

I give Gabbert credit for not entirely pooping his pants and playing well enough(no turnovers which is a BIG deal for a rookie against the Ravens), to allow the Jags kicker to win the game.

But Gabbert needs to find a healthy dose of courage back there to give himself a chance to execute plays.

Someone should remind Gabbert he's 6'4, almost 240#. His body can take a hit.

BTW if the Jags rookie QB played a C-/D game, what was that crap Flacco left out on the field on MNF??

bantx
10-25-2011, 11:27 AM
I sometimes forget that Gabbert is a rookie because of the Jags has never had nothing more than a mediocre QB. But Gabbert will have a flacco type career and nothing too special

FUNBUNCHER
10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
I sometimes forget that Gabbert is a rookie because of the Jags has never had nothing more than a mediocre QB. But Gabbert will have a flacco type career and nothing too special

http://www.netbrawl.com/uploads/575214f1004b025f364093b20e652576.jpg

He was kinda good, better than mediocre.;)

bucfan12
10-25-2011, 12:05 PM
If Gabbert can improve his pocket presence, work through his anxiety about the pass rush so he has time to go through his progressions or at least find his hot read, Blaine should work out fine for Jacksonville.

But things like pocket presence and poise are IMO intangibles; either a guy has that from HS or he doesn't.

If you don't have the psychological makeup for the position, playing QB can be the most terrifying spot to play on a football team.

I give Gabbert credit for not entirely pooping his pants and playing well enough(no turnovers which is a BIG deal for a rookie against the Ravens), to allow the Jags kicker to win the game.

But Gabbert needs to find a healthy dose of courage back there to give himself a chance to execute plays.

Someone should remind Gabbert he's 6'4, almost 240#. His body can take a hit.

BTW if the Jags rookie QB played a C-/D game, what was that crap Flacco left out on the field on MNF??

Yeah, but honestly, What I loved about him was he didn't look lost out there. He didn't make erratic throws or throw any balls into danger (Ed Reed). If he missed, it was a good missed. He had a few balls in the ground from throwing off his back foot.

Honestly, he played fairly well considering he has NO ONE at WR and Lewis hasn't even shown up to play this year eihter (dropped a td pass that was catchable). The only help he has is handing the ball off to MJD. Thats it.

If the Jags to fire Del Rio, they better keep Koeter. He's a very good OC that's very underrated.

49erNation85
10-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Mark Brunell was better the good IMO.He was fun to watch and had mobility like Steve Young.Probably had the better arm too.He is still in the back as a back up.He was fun to watch in his prime.

I too have to admit that Gabbert did look OK against Baltimore last night.Better the I expected of him to be.Like others said he pocket presence is horrible and so is his throwing off his back foot when not needed.But other then he had a descent game.He should have a descent career not stellar but pretty good.

M.O.T.H.
10-25-2011, 01:43 PM
I dont know what some people were watching...but he doesnt look good right now. The only thing he is doing well, is not throwing interceptions. And that's because he'll either checkdown for a minimal gain, throw to the flats for no gain, or throw it directly into the ground.

He did miss some guys downfield last night, because he wouldnt even throw it downfield. And this phantom pressure deal, is correct. He doesn't want to stand tall in the pocket at all, and he looks scared against any sense of pressure, even if it's picked up. He's pretty skittish back there. If he ever does get it, it's going to take a while...good defense and MJD or not, this team is going to be held back by their QB for a while yet. That doesnt mean he wont be good, he's just really raw yet.

thegreatone
10-25-2011, 01:46 PM
He looks scared out there.

That is the last thing you want to see in an NFL QB.

nepg
10-25-2011, 01:50 PM
I think they should randomly have someone drill Gabbert from behind in practice without telling him. Give him a few solid licks to show him it's not that bad or something...they need to do something.

NOIS
10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
If Gabbert can stop sacking himself, he'll be a top 10 QB in the League at some point. He's creating pressure that's not there. He's only 22 (youngest QB starting) so with that in mind, he’s not looking bad. The kind of confidence he needs to work in the pocket successfully comes from within (it can’t be taught). My opinion is, he has it, but needs more time to find it.

On another note. Mercedes Lewis has already dropped 3 TD passes thrown to him by Gabbert (on the year). It's a shame. The guy just got paid Pro Bowler money and is now playing like a bum.

Ness
10-25-2011, 02:11 PM
http://www.netbrawl.com/uploads/575214f1004b025f364093b20e652576.jpg

He was kinda good, better than mediocre.;)

Yeah I was about to say something. Brunell was a boss back in the mid to late 90's.

FUNBUNCHER
10-25-2011, 02:12 PM
First start as a pro, to beat a SB contender like the Ravens I'll give Gabbert credit for playing winning football.

Most rookie QBs don't win that game. One or two picks by the Ravens and that game is a loss for the Jags.

If you thought there was no chance for the Jags to win that game, Gabbert's victory was even more impressive IMO.

I see the David Carr comparisons and they do make you worry. But if Gabbert develops and improves his game from the pocket, Jacksonville got one helluva pick.

Raiderz4Life
10-25-2011, 02:27 PM
You call that winning football? That what **** atrocious football. The jags won that game because their defense played balls out and Flacco played worse than Gabbert which is like saying one played like a 0 and the other like a 1.

FUNBUNCHER
10-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Gabbert is a ROOKIE. Not a five year vet.

His directions IMO from De Rio weren't to throw strikes into the endzone, but not to turn the ball over.
Mission accomplished.

bantx
10-25-2011, 02:48 PM
christ he's my age. I'm a little sad about my life now.

RaiderNation
10-25-2011, 02:51 PM
He is going to have growing pains, but I think Gabbert will turn into a solid starting QB in the NFL. I didn't buy into the hype, however I do think his value was around the 10-15 range. The Jags need to add a #1 WR like Blackmon, Floyd or Jeffery, but do have some decent talent around him. Monroe looks to be a starting caliber LT, MJD is still a productive RB and Lewis can make some plays at TE. The defense looked good last night as well(maybe a bit of the Ravens offense being bad too though), but they use help at DE and in the secondary. It will be intersting what the Jags do this off season though, some big changes could happen(Fire Del Rio? Could they move to L.A.?)

Dallas357
10-25-2011, 08:44 PM
He is going to have growing pains, but I think Gabbert will turn into a solid starting QB in the NFL. I didn't buy into the hype, however I do think his value was around the 10-15 range. The Jags need to add a #1 WR like Blackmon, Floyd or Jeffery, but do have some decent talent around him. Monroe looks to be a starting caliber LT, MJD is still a productive RB and Lewis can make some plays at TE. The defense looked good last night as well(maybe a bit of the Ravens offense being bad too though), but they use help at DE and in the secondary. It will be intersting what the Jags do this off season though, some big changes could happen(Fire Del Rio? Could they move to L.A.?)

No.

And they need blackmon, but are about to win 6 of their last 9 games and be out of draft position to do it.

LonghornsLegend
10-25-2011, 09:15 PM
It's why to early to even ask, or answer this question. He's a rookie, hasn't played close to a half of 1 season yet, has ZERO legit weapons to throw to, and teams haven't started to gameplan for him. It's hard to honestly say how high his ceiling is, how much better he'll get or worse.

DraftSavant
10-26-2011, 04:37 PM
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6270/gabbertcrumble.png

You are who you are.

DraftSavant
10-26-2011, 11:03 PM
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1560/screencapturey.png
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3591/screencapture1h.png

FUNBUNCHER
10-26-2011, 11:14 PM
LOL!!

Imagine if Gabbert was really getting lit up.
Your QB shouldn't look so obviously afraid of getting hit.

I don't know about this guy. Sometimes I see a future star, other times he looks like a QB who's destined to never really come close to expectations.

LookItsAlDavis
10-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Honestly, I think Chase Daniel will end up being in the league longer than Gabbert. Many of his flaws are the type that you don't really see much change in over time. He has very little pocket presence, and his accuracy on medium to deep throws is pretty poor. His athleticism is overrated. Yes, he put up decent numbers at the combine, but it doesn't really translate to the field that well for him. Kind of looks like Joey Harrington/Rob Johnson to me. Maybe if he were in a different situation he'd have a chance, but with the exception of MJD, Jacksonville has been a graveyard of highly drafted skill players.

DraftSavant
10-30-2011, 08:51 PM
He bad. (10)

MetSox17
10-30-2011, 08:58 PM
He looks like a young Kyle Boller. Like dog ****.

bucfan12
10-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Honestly, I see several posters screaming how Bradford has no talent around him at WR.

How come I don't see the same for Gabbert? Gabbert is raw and I think he's shown great decision making ability for a guy with nothing around him.

I think Gabbert has more upside than Bradford in physical tools. He's just gonna take 2 years to develop.

Malaka
10-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Well he's also got Christian Ponder and Cam Newton playing well as rookies. They're making him look awful with the success they're having.

bucfan12
10-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Well he's also got Christian Ponder and Cam Newton playing well as rookies. They're making him look awful with the success they're having.

Ponder has looked good through 2 games. I wouldn't put him in the same league or discussion as Cam right now.

Some QBs take longer to develop than others. Look at Drew Brees. Not saying Gabbert will be the next Brees. But just because he's not at there level right now, doesn't mean he'll be awful.

Malaka
10-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Ponder has looked good through 2 games. I wouldn't put him in the same league or discussion as Cam right now.

Some QBs take longer to develop than others. Look at Drew Brees. Not saying Gabbert will be the next Brees. But just because he's not at there level right now, doesn't mean he'll be awful.

I wouldn't put Ponder in the same league as Cam either, but both have looked a lot better than Gabbert has.

thegreatone
10-30-2011, 10:38 PM
He smells.

JBCX
10-30-2011, 10:39 PM
He has pretty looking hair

murdamal86
10-31-2011, 07:39 AM
I wouldn't put Ponder in the same league as Cam either, but both have looked a lot better than Gabbert has.

well one team is smart in feeding their franchise RB to ease in the rookie QB (Minny) and the other team does have a top shelf WR (Carolina). With that being said, Gabbert does have to do SOMETHING to give me confidence. I know he's a rookie who really wasn't expected to play this year, but at SOME point, he HAS to do something.

bucfan12
10-31-2011, 08:02 AM
well one team is smart in feeding their franchise RB to ease in the rookie QB (Minny) and the other team does have a top shelf WR (Carolina). With that being said, Gabbert does have to do SOMETHING to give me confidence. I know he's a rookie who really wasn't expected to play this year, but at SOME point, he HAS to do something.

I'd like to see the Jags get him other WRs besides Jason Hill and Mike Sims Walker. Mike Thomas is a decent #3 WR, and he's there number 1.

Gabbert has gargabge to work with at WR and Mercedes Lewis has been crap this year.

murdamal86
10-31-2011, 08:17 AM
I'd like to see the Jags get him other WRs besides Jason Hill and Mike Sims Walker. Mike Thomas is a decent #3 WR, and he's there number 1.

Gabbert has gargabge to work with at WR and Mercedes Lewis has been crap this year.

I think that will help him too. It's like it's Blackmon or bust for me cause i'm not as enormed w/Floyd and Jeffery but i'd take them too. We need two wr's and push Thomas back into the slot. A "thunder" to Mojo's "lightning" would help also

bucfan12
10-31-2011, 08:20 AM
I think that will help him too. It's like it's Blackmon or bust for me cause i'm not as enormed w/Floyd and Jeffery but i'd take them too. We need two wr's and push Thomas back into the slot. A "thunder" to Mojo's "lightning" would help also

Agreed. MJD is at the point in his career where he's still productive, but a compliment back will help him be prolong his career instead of taking a beating every week.

bantx
10-31-2011, 12:33 PM
I think if Gabbert had more support he'd be decent, but he's in a pretty ****** situation.

Saints-Tigers
10-31-2011, 12:41 PM
He looks like a young Kyle Boller. Like dog ****.

But he's a rookie, and they won a game before, that means he's amazing!!!

LonghornsLegend
10-31-2011, 12:50 PM
How come I don't see the same for Gabbert? .

All anyone ever talks about is how Jax has no WR's, where have you been for the past year? In fact it's been brought up nearly every chance it can when someone brings up Gabbert.

bucfan12
10-31-2011, 12:52 PM
The Kyle Boller comparison is awful. Boller looks lost and makes terrbile decisions on throws.

Gabbert atleast makes the right read and doesn't make stupid throws, which impresses me that he doesn't force things for being a young guy with a strong arm.

nepg
10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
If he can survive this season, I think Gabbert will be OK. He has some serious issues, though. And I don't think their receiver situation is all that terrible. They do need more options, but Mike Thomas is good, Lewis is good, and Dillard is a solid option.

bigbluedefense
10-31-2011, 02:26 PM
I think we won't know what he's really made of until next year. Not every qb develops right away.

Having that said, I was never a fan of his and I don't believe he'll develop into a franchise qb, but it still is way too early to give up on him. He does have some positive qualities. He just needs to build on em.

Do I think he will? No. But you never know. Let's give him a chance first.

Halsey
10-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Blah blah blah. It was widely known he was a project. Not every QB steps right into the NFL and plays well. Not all rookie QBs have success right away, even if guys like Matt Ryan and Cam Newton make it seem like they're the norm. Drew Brees, Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick are 3 guys who are playing well despite slow starts to their careers.

descendency
10-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Blah blah blah. It was widely known he was a project. Not every QB steps right into the NFL and plays well. Not all rookie QBs have success right away, even if guys like Matt Ryan and Cam Newton make it seem like they're the norm. Drew Brees, Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick are 3 guys who are playing well despite slow starts to their careers.

Cam Newton and Andy Dalton were projects. Nothing in this QB class was supposed to be a sure thing.

The closest you got was Christian Ponder, who everyone thought would bust.

murdamal86
10-31-2011, 02:34 PM

And THAT'S something nobody mentions in regards to Gabbert. Remember he wasn't even suppose to be playing this year. Garrard was enriched as the starter, he gets cut, McCown is signed, we saw how that played out, and now Gabbert is forced into the starting job. I'm not about to write him off after only his 5th career start, i'll wait until after next season and that's IF we add some talent at the WR position.

Halsey
10-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Cam Newton and Andy Dalton were projects. Nothing in this QB class was supposed to be a sure thing.

The closest you got was Christian Ponder, who everyone thought would bust.

I'm not in the least bit surprised Newton is playing well, but he's still a project. His talent allows him to overcome many deficiencies, but he can be significantly better than what he is now.

And Dalton is surpriseing no doubt, but having a last place schedule isn't hurting. The Bengals last 3 games have been vs Seattle, Indy and Jacksonville. and having AJ Green, Jerome Simpson and Jermaine Gresham is probably a little more helpful than throwing to some guys named Jason Hill and Mike Thomas.

nepg
10-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Dalton wasn't a project. Dalton was supposed to be an as-is back-up caliber QB. He's playing above that level. Good for him.

Newton, Mallett, Locker, and Gabbert were all elite prospects with some work to do. They all pretty much just had to work on their footwork. Newton is successful because he's in an offense that suits him with good weapons around him. He's also just better than Gabbert (always was). Mallett's behind Tom Brady & Brian Hoyer and Locker is behind a veteran QB who is playing lights out.

The other elite tools guy in this draft was Colin Kaepernick, and he's in a similar boat with Locker & Mallett, but had a lot more to work on than just footwork.

Stanzi, Ponder, and Yates were all very similar. Good tools, not that far from getting to where they'll be as QBs. Still not the biggest Ponder fan, but he has played surprisingly well - same with Dalton. This is a great QB class. Everyone who said it was a bad class gets to eat crow. It's astounding that people are trying to say that 2012 is even close.

Dallas357
10-31-2011, 04:35 PM
he's playing like a scared ***** *****. throw the ball like you got a pair!

bucfan12
10-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Dalton wasn't a project. Dalton was supposed to be an as-is back-up caliber QB. He's playing above that level. Good for him.

Newton, Mallett, Locker, and Gabbert were all elite prospects with some work to do. They all pretty much just had to work on their footwork. Newton is successful because he's in an offense that suits him with good weapons around him. He's also just better than Gabbert (always was). Mallett's behind Tom Brady & Brian Hoyer and Locker is behind a veteran QB who is playing lights out.

The other elite tools guy in this draft was Colin Kaepernick, and he's in a similar boat with Locker & Mallett, but had a lot more to work on than just footwork.

Stanzi, Ponder, and Yates were all very similar. Good tools, not that far from getting to where they'll be as QBs. Still not the biggest Ponder fan, but he has played surprisingly well - same with Dalton. This is a great QB class. Everyone who said it was a bad class gets to eat crow. It's astounding that people are trying to say that 2012 is even close.

I think it's a little too early to say that don't ya think? Some of these guys haven't even played half a season yet, nor seen the field.

Also, I highly doubt all 4 guys, Newton, Dalton, Gabbert, and Ponder become elite.

Andy Dalton has played well, but he's played a cake schedule so far. I think he's still got the tools of an average QB in this league. Nothing screams elite to me, but he's playing well. Can't take that away from him now.

Ponder has 2 starts under his belt. He played good in his 1st start against GB, but it was his 1st start. Packers have been off in the secondary, but I'll give Ponder credit, he didn't commit the Turnovers the Packers force.
Carolina's defense, especially pass defense, is awful. Ponder was supposedly the 2nd most NFL ready QB behind Mallet, but I see Ponder as guy who should have went in the 2nd/3rd round, same with Dalton, but was overdrafted.

Gabbert is a guy I loved comingo ut of this draft. He's got all the physical tools and is mobile. But he's got nothing around him really. His pass protection is somewhat average. And really, has Jason Hill and Mike Thomas as his top 2 WRs? Hill owuld be lucky to be a #4 on another NFL roster and Thomas, luckily would be a 3. Mercedes Lewis has played awful this year.
Give Gabbert some talent to work with at WR and get a compliment for Jones Drew at RB and we can see what he can do.

Cam Newton has played the best so far out of any rookie QB. The Panthers coaching staff is allowing him to play his style and suiting the offense to his strengths. Too bad he's got a horrible defense because he's what's keeping them in game.s

bucfan12
10-31-2011, 05:11 PM
My pre-draft rankings at QB were:

1. Cam Newton
2. Blaine Gabbert
3. Colin Kaepernick (he's got tremendous upside)
4. Ryan Mallet
5. Christian Ponder
6. Jake Locker
7. Andy Dalton

Right now:

1. Newton
2. Dalton
3. Gabbert
4. Ponder

The other 3: Have not played.

3 years from now:

1. Newton
2. Gabbert
3. Mallet (if he gets a job somewhere)
4. Kaepernick
5. Dalton
6. Ponder
7. Locker (never liked him as a prospect).

DraftSavant
10-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Maybe when Gabbert and Locker finally play each other, we can dub it the "Excuse Bowl."

Caulibflower
10-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Gabbert looks exactly like everyone thought he would. The people who said he runs from phantom pressure, won't step up into the pocket to throw if it's collapsing, and see that he'll throw a nice ball to a receiver who'll get destroyed if he tries to catch it are right. And the people who don't think those issues are a huge deal, and that those nice throws are enough to keep working him and trying to train him out of his bad habits are still pointing to the good throws he does make, pointing out that he doesn't have great playmakers, and whatever else. It's always too soon to say, but Gabbert pretty much looks like he did in college, and depending on where you were on him a year ago, that's either a bad thing or a reason for optimism.

niel89
10-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Gabbert looks like the guy who he was in college. Afraid of the pass rush and wants to bail from even phantom pressure. He still can be a good QB in the league but they really need to protect him quite a bit, get him some weapons, and maybe let him work a lot of shotgun where he is comfortable. At least he has good physical tools.

This is a great QB class. Everyone who said it was a bad class gets to eat crow. It's astounding that people are trying to say that 2012 is even close.

I'm thinking the same thing. Granted the 2012 class has some potential and Luck is an elite who is talent head and shoulders over anyone last year imo, but some guys are going to stay in college and some are going to falter in the pre draft testing.

Last year the 'top 4' QB's all had substantial tools and can all develop into great players. Newton, Gabbert, Locker, and Mallett all had great arms, good size, and (excluding Mallett) pretty good mobility. Although none were perfect as prospect, there were no physical questions about those guys. Ponder has ability too (though I questioned his draft position at the time) and can become a good starter for his team. I think Dalton came into a good opportunity for him (offensive style was a great match, good receiving weapons with a very promising top wr to grow with, also low expectation/pressure) can become a fine starter for the Bengals. With some time and Harbaugh building him up, Kaepernick could be something good with the tools he has.

Of those guys there have been some good things shown so far, and its still only year 1! Some guys might completely fail but its still great crop overall. We'll see what happens when Locker and Mallett get their shot, and you know some random late rounder will become relevant too. Just imagine if Luck would have also came out too.

nepg
10-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Also, I highly doubt all 4 guys, Newton, Dalton, Gabbert, and Ponder become elite.

Two of those aren't even the "elite" prospects from that class... I had Ponder 7th and Dalton was in the 9th range... We're still looking at Locker, Mallett, Stanzi, and Kaepernick (among a few others) working themselves into a starting role within 2-4 years.

And it wasn't just the physical tools I liked about the Top 4. They all displayed great leadership qualities and desire to become great players and work hard to win games.

Dallas357
10-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Gabbert is a bust!

why is he so god damned scared out there. Some of the freaking faces he's making out their are embarrassing. His mechanics are god awful, he's playing like he's 4'6 the way he bends down to make a throw. Great job Gene Smith!

Not even 100 freaking pass yards when they are begging you to throw the damn ball. Not even 100 yards on 30 attempts? Is this real? This can't be real life.

Dallas357
11-05-2011, 04:23 PM
how does a team have 31 drops through 8 games? draft blackmon. the routes these receivers are running are so sloppy. slow, bad routes, and bad hands.

bantx
11-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Gabbert is a bust!

why is he so god damned scared out there. Some of the freaking faces he's making out their are embarrassing. His mechanics are god awful, he's playing like he's 4'6 the way he bends down to make a throw. Great job Gene Smith!

Not even 100 freaking pass yards when they are begging you to throw the damn ball. Not even 100 yards on 30 attempts? Is this real? This can't be real life.

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/8d40bbd2e106813dfca2e316f40fbb0287527d7c_m.gif

thegreatone
11-05-2011, 10:55 PM
He smells.