PDA

View Full Version : Almost start a brawl? $0 fine...but talk on your cellphone? $10k

V.I.P
10-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Roundup: Steelers' Polamalu fined $10K for calling wife
NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: Oct. 21, 2011 at 04:06 p.m. Updated: Oct. 21, 2011 at 04:35 p.m,
Pittsburgh Steelers All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu has been fined by the NFL for talking on his cell phone during Sunday's 17-13 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars, NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported Friday, citing a league source.

Polamalu was docked $10,000 for a brief phone conversation with his wife near the Steelers' bench area after exiting the game with concussion-like symptoms. Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday the 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year is "good to go" after passing a concussion test and he was not listed on Friday's injury report.

Possession of cell phones, PDAs or other electronic equipment in the bench area during a game is strictly prohibited by NFL policy beginning 90 minutes before kickoff through the end of the game.

Rounding up other fines:

Cincinnati Bengals running back Cedric Peerman was fined $20,000 for an illegal blindside block on a special teams play in Sunday's 27-17 win over the Indianapolis Colts, La Canfora reported Friday, citing a league source.

Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith was fined $7,500 for unnecessary roughness for removing offensive lineman Andre Gurode's helmet in a 29-14 loss to the Baltimore Ravens, the Carroll County Times reported Friday, citing AFC spokesman Corry Rush.

A.J. Hawk was fined $10,000 by the league for showing his middle finger during last Sunday's win over the Rams, Fox Sports Insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Pretty hilarious that Schwartz and Harbaugh got zero fines for the fiasco that took place after the game...but Troy gets a fine for talking on a stupid cell phone.

Another reason why Goodell needs to be removed from his position of power as soon as possible.

CashmoneyDrew
10-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Hmmm...

1) Should players be fined for talking trash and shoving after a play?
2) Should players be allowed to talk on their phones on the sidelines?

No and no in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with the fine, and nothing wrong with the non-fine.

Breed
10-22-2011, 02:21 PM
10k for letting you wife know you're okay after your concussion?

http://www.sportsgrindent.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/NFL-commissioner-Roger-Goodell.jpg

Jakey
10-22-2011, 02:24 PM
He was letting his family know he was fine, and one of the trainers passed the phone to him to do so.

Goodell is a twat.

CashmoneyDrew
10-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Rules a rule. Polamalu made a conscience decision to ignore it, regardless of the reason. Can't believe people are blaming Goodell for enforcing a rule that every business place has.

Raiderz4Life
10-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Rules a rule. Polamalu made a conscience decision to ignore it, regardless of the reason. Can't believe people are blaming Goodell for enforcing a rule that every business place has.

You try remembering the rules after getting a concussion.

CashmoneyDrew
10-22-2011, 02:43 PM
You try remembering the rules after getting a concussion.

Polamalu gets a concussion and the whole organization forgets the rules?
And I'm pretty sure if he's coherent enough to ask for a phone because he wants to let his wife knows that he's fine, then he's also fine enough to remember you can't make personal calls from the sidelines.

Raiderz4Life
10-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Polamalu gets a concussion and the whole organization forgets the rules?
And I'm pretty sure if he's coherent enough to ask for a phone because he wants to let his wife knows that he's fine, then he's also fine enough to remember you can't make personal calls from the sidelines.

If anything blame whoever gave him the phone. Obviously the guy isn't in a proper state of mind.

Rabscuttle
10-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Same fine as flipping the bird. (even if said bird flipping was in fun, not sure what angry bird flipping is worth)

Circumstances need to be taken into context for these things.

mqtirishfan
10-22-2011, 02:53 PM

If I got injured at work and my family found out, I think my employer would let me use my ******* phone to let them know I was okay.

Giantsfan1080
10-22-2011, 02:55 PM
If I got injured at work and my family found out, I think my employer would let me use my ******* phone to let them know I was okay.

Not when using your phone could possibly give you a competitive advantage. Unfortunately you have to be strict here and enforce the rule. He should have went into the locker room and called if he was concerned that his was wife would be scared.

CashmoneyDrew
10-22-2011, 02:58 PM

That's what the trained medical professionals on the team are for. Also, how can Roger Goodell take Polamalu's word for it that that is indeed what the call was about? If he did that then all the other players could start making calls on the sidelines themselves for whatever reason and saying, "Oh, well it was an emergency with my family." Then he would have no credibility on the issue.

My point is, Polamalu should have either went to the locker room and made the call or had someone else call for him. If you got hurt at work and needed to call your family, I'm pretty sure your boss isn't gonna let you make the call from the fryer or at the cash register. (Not saying you work fast food just using an example)

MetSox17
10-22-2011, 03:02 PM
I disagree with most of what Gooddell does, but this is ALL on Polamalu. You can't start bending the rules for certain guys. It's football, people get hurt all the time, if you let this go by, then what are you gonna do when every single guy that gets hurt wants to let his family know he's okay?

Hines
10-22-2011, 03:04 PM
If he didn't get caught on TV doing so, would he still get the fine?

Giantsfan1080
10-22-2011, 03:07 PM
If he didn't get caught on TV doing so, would he still get the fine?

If an NFL official still caught him then yes.

tjsunstein
10-22-2011, 03:14 PM
What's $10k to Polamalu, though?

Brodeur
10-22-2011, 03:28 PM
All of the fines in the league go from a rich guy's pocket to a needed charity, I'm not sure why anyone complains.

Hurricanes25
10-22-2011, 03:29 PM
All of the fines in the league go from a rich guy's pocket to a needed charity, I'm not sure why anyone complains.

That is true too. People act as if the money goes right into Goodell's pocket.

Jvig43
10-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Did he leave to the locker room to get checked out and then call his wife? Because that would be pretty stupid if it's true.

J-Mike88
10-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Thank you!
People just love to pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey. Just blame the commish.
Blame the coach.
Blame the teacher.
Blame the president.

This is just a tiny donation from Polamalu to a charity, nothing more. Polamalu won't notice the missing 10K.

I do agree that Schwartz should have been fined though, for turning into a tough guy and running down Harbaugh.

tjsunstein
10-22-2011, 03:55 PM
I do agree that Schwartz should have been fined though, for turning into a tough guy and running down Harbaugh.
You would have to fine a lot of NFL players for pushing and shoving after the play then. Nothing came out of it, so nothing will be done to discipline them. Unless you want to have some sort of instigator rule but I doubt something like this ever happens again.

vidae
10-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I love how people think that Goodell created every rule in the handbook. People want to blame him for everything but all he does is enforce them, which is what he is supposed to do.

Borat
10-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Most NFL fines never get paid anyway.

Giantsfan1080
10-22-2011, 05:30 PM

Really? How come?

CJSchneider
10-22-2011, 05:31 PM

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/c/3/c3ca6_ORIG-Not_Sure_if_serious.jpg

JagWired32
10-22-2011, 05:48 PM
This is definetely ridiculous, i dont understand Goodell about this, i understand he isnt suppose to use his phone during a game, but he was just calling his wife to say he was fine.

Trogdor
10-22-2011, 05:56 PM
This is definetely ridiculous, i dont understand Goodell about this, i understand he isnt suppose to use his phone during a game, but he was just calling his wife to say he was fine.

Pretty much read the thread.

tl;dr

He violated an NFL rule and was fined the prescribed amount. Goodell didn't create the rule and all NFL players and staff are aware of the policy.

Shane P. Hallam
10-22-2011, 06:04 PM

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/429812/tania-ganguli/2011-08-17/nfl-fines-undrafted-rookie-linebacker-mike-lockley

Not always.

And the fine is okay. All Troy had to do was walk to the locker room and call.

Borat
10-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Really? How come?

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/c/3/c3ca6_ORIG-Not_Sure_if_serious.jpg

Yeah, I remember seeing a piece on ESPN about how many players never pay the fines they get. The NFL doesn't hound them or send them to collections or anything.

Giantsfan1080
10-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing a piece on ESPN about how many players never pay the fines they get. The NFL doesn't hound them or send them to collections or anything.

I still don't get that. Why would anyone ever pay a fine then? There has to be more to it than that.

tjsunstein
10-22-2011, 07:07 PM
You can't make an exception on a rule like this. Polamalu knew the rule and if it was so bad that he didn't, he probably shouldn't play this Sunday. I just don't think he cared too much. Head and Shoulders will probably pick it up anyway. Why do people get their panties in a bunch every time a fine is being handed out? How passionate some people are about these makes it seem like they're the ones paying it. They're multimillionaires. Ten thousand dollars to a charity isn't the worst thing. It's the NFL, it's been going on for quite some time. Just because Goodell actually enforces them doesn't make it his fault.

Borat
10-22-2011, 08:19 PM
I still don't get that. Why would anyone ever pay a fine then? There has to be more to it than that.

Umm, that is why ESPN was doing a story on it.

Giantsfan1080
10-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Umm, that is why ESPN was doing a story on it.

Did they go more in depth than what you are saying though? Why would any fine ever be paid if there is a track record of the NFL not caring. If you're going to bring up an article like that then at least link it if you don't have the full information.

Borat
10-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Did they go more in depth than what you are saying though? Why would any fine ever be paid if there is a track record of the NFL not caring. If you're going to bring up an article like that then at least link it if you don't have the full information.

It wasn't an article. It was on tv.

Honestly, I don't remember much about it other than I walked away laughing that players just say **** it and don't pay. I would guess that a lot of players just cut the check (or pay straight cash homie) and write it off as a charitable donation for tax purposes and be done with it.

OzTitan
10-22-2011, 09:54 PM
I imagine teams do this all the time when a player gets hurt, but not by giving the player a cell phone on the sideline. I'm thinking it's more like getting a message from the player, and some team rep makes the call. I mean the non-players are obviously allowed to have phones if the person Troy got it off had one on him, and he isn't being fined.

For whatever reason Troy felt the need to do this personally - I'm sure he probably didn't care about any fine.

descendency
10-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Really? How come?

They are appealed.

I'm not sure "most" is right, but lots are appealed to a much lower dollar amount.

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-23-2011, 12:03 AM
If I got injured at work and my family found out, I think my employer would let me use my ******* phone to let them know I was okay.The NFL handed out the fine. But, the Steelers didn't.

soybean
10-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Sometimes things transcend football and in this case it's health. If people are talking about possibly getting a competitive advantage over the other team why is the individual fined and not the team?

Rabscuttle
10-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Any word on what a cleat to the nutsack is worth yet?

nm, looked it up myself, $20k. So a violent ball smashing is twice as bad as giving your spouse some peace of mind.

prock
10-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Take context into the decision Goodell. I know Troy doesn't need the money, but it's just dumb.

phlysac
10-26-2011, 05:12 PM
You can't take context into considering. Everyone starts making phone calls on the sideline and says "I was talking to my wife."

It's been said ad nauseum. He broke the rules. Simple.

soybean
10-26-2011, 05:39 PM
You can't take context into considering. Everyone starts making phone calls on the sideline and says "I was talking to my wife."

It's been said ad nauseum. He broke the rules. Simple.

hmmm... maybe, what if we take it a step further. what if his wife was hurt or in an accident and she called someone on the sidelines and he answered. Context can definitely be taken in this situation. When it starts becoming a problem, then you start making a protocol and procedure to deal with it.

phlysac
10-26-2011, 07:58 PM
hmmm... maybe, what if we take it a step further. what if his wife was hurt or in an accident and she called someone on the sidelines and he answered. Context can definitely be taken in this situation. When it starts becoming a problem, then you start making a protocol and procedure to deal with it.

He'd do what 99% of all working American's have to do. They leave the central working area and take and/or make the phone call where they are permitted. The tunnel to the locker room is seconds away and isn't against the rules.

Bengalsrocket
10-26-2011, 08:01 PM

Couldn't this information be relayed to him without ever using a cell phone? I mean if someone else is receiving the call besides the player, then couldn't that person just tell the player what happened without ever handing a cell phone over?

And if it's really serious to the point where he needs to be interrupted in the middle of a game then he should probably leave the field anyways, where he can talk on a cell phone without any repercussions.

Gay Ork Wang
10-27-2011, 06:44 AM
NJX: Batman of SWDCity

Jvig43
10-27-2011, 09:52 AM
right? what if like, thermonuclear war broke out, and troy polamalu needed to take a call so he'd know to evacuate? what then, goodell? or like, what if, um... aliens invaded, right there on the field! and polamalu needed to call the president to let him know?!

or are you actually trying to suggest that it's that difficult to go to the locker room or have team personnel call from the locker room about a minor concussion?

Are you suggesting that Goodell wouldn't fine players if Aliens attacked and they used a phone to call a loved one?

Grizzlegom
10-27-2011, 10:00 AM
It wasn't an article. It was on tv.

Honestly, I don't remember much about it other than I walked away laughing that players just say **** it and don't pay. I would guess that a lot of players just cut the check (or pay straight cash homie) and write it off as a charitable donation for tax purposes and be done with it.

I remember that, it was a few years ago though. They have since taken more measures to ensure they get paid, one of which is that they've started taking the fines out of the players' game checks if they don't pay in a certain amount of time. Goodell makes sure he gets his fines enforced.

bantx
10-27-2011, 10:09 AM
This thread is now about aliens
http://milkdaddy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/mars_attacks.jpg

soybean
10-27-2011, 03:40 PM
right? what if like, thermonuclear war broke out, and troy polamalu needed to take a call so he'd know to evacuate? what then, goodell? or like, what if, um... aliens invaded, right there on the field! and polamalu needed to call the president to let him know?!

or are you actually trying to suggest that it's that difficult to go to the locker room or have team personnel call from the locker room about a minor concussion?

I'm not gonna get into a war of hypotheticals. we can just agree to disagree.

A rule was put in place before there was a problem to prevent a future problem. Whether that problem would have happened if the rule wasn't in place is unknown.

It's really a moral issue. I can bet that there's a handful of bosses in the world who would allow you to answer an important call in the office as well as a handful of bosses who wouldnt.

CC.SD
10-27-2011, 04:50 PM
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs29/f/2008/149/1/9/Xenomorph_by_Sharkboy219.jpg