PDA

View Full Version : Quinton Coples, DE, UNC

JBCX
10-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Every time I watch this guy, I see highly inconsistent effort, a few plays here and there, but in general, a mediocre defensive lineman.

Why is this guy so heavily hyped? He's in the top 5 of most draft big boards. Does anyone else believe that Coples is perhaps being over-hyped due to his measurables (6'5"+ and 280lbs)?

NOIS
10-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Every time I watch this guy, I see highly inconsistent effort, a few plays here and there, but in general, a mediocre defensive lineman.

Why is this guy so heavily hyped? He's in the top 5 of most draft big boards. Does anyone else believe that Coples is perhaps being over-hyped due to his measurables (6'5"+ and 280lbs)?

I haven't seen enough of him to say. But it seems like a lot of the board has the Jaguars taking him in the top 5. If what I bolded is true, then my Jags won't look twice at him. Gene Smith is huge on effort and high motor guys.

TheSlinger
10-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah, he's been pretty mediocre this year. I cringe every time I see him mocked to the Jags.

Unbiased
10-23-2011, 07:08 PM
I think UNC is playing him out of position yet again. He played mostly on the weakside with Martin on the strongside against Clemson. I didn't see any effort problems so that must have been earlier in the year?

Hurricanes25
10-23-2011, 07:48 PM
He does get double teamed a lot. I think his motor is fine. With that being said, I'm not nearly as high on him as others are. I only see him as a left end in a 4-3. If he adds some weight I think he could play 5 tech in 3-4.

DraftSavant
10-24-2011, 11:05 AM
I think UNC is playing him out of position yet again. He played mostly on the weakside with Martin on the strongside against Clemson. I didn't see any effort problems so that must have been earlier in the year?

This. Dude is a LE who needs to play 3-tech on passing downs. Not blindside end.

I go back and forth with him. Some days, I see Justin Tuck. Other days, I see Jamaal Anderson. SR bowl and such will be huge for him.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-24-2011, 01:05 PM
This. Dude is a LE who needs to play 3-tech on passing downs. Not blindside end.

I go back and forth with him. Some days, I see Justin Tuck. Other days, I see Jamaal Anderson. SR bowl and such will be huge for him.

I don't quite see the Jamaal Anderson in him. Jamaal just couldn't get off blocks. Most of his production came from stunts and mismatches in college. Coples just seems like he doesn't care this year, but he does have the ability. I'm definitely cooled on him though. Very underwhelming.

bucfan12
10-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Coples has bust written all over him.

RaiderNation
10-24-2011, 04:01 PM
He never will be a elite pass rusher, but this is the type of DE teams need. He can play all 3 downs and be a versatile weapon in 4-3 or 3-4 schemes.

JBCX
10-24-2011, 06:11 PM
He never will be a elite pass rusher, but this is the type of DE teams need. He can play all 3 downs and be a versatile weapon in 4-3 or 3-4 schemes.

Is this the type of player that is worth a top-10 pick? I don't think so. If I'm picking a defensive player in the top-10, he needs to make a serious impact in the *passing* game - either he needs to be able to generate pass pressure as a linebacker/lineman or he needs to be able to cover pass-receivers as a cornerback/safety.

Pit Bull #53
10-24-2011, 06:22 PM
I've watched several UNC games this year to get a look at Coples, and every time, I've come away impressed.... with Zach Brown.

GaMeTiMe
10-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Coples will fall on draft day and it seems we all know it. Bigger-bodied 4-3 DEs like Derrick Morgan and Robert Quinn have similarly been mocked top-5 at this and later stages, and they always either see their stock cool, naturally slip due to the growing number of teams using the 3-4, or a combination of both. Coples isn't some all-world exception. Luck, Kalil, Martin, even Richardson, Kirkpatrick and the top 3 WRs will be graded higher than Coples on draft day, probably along with another handful of guys

keylime_5
10-27-2011, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't call Quinn a "bigger bodies" end, in fact many thought he was a better fit in a 3-4 at OLB b/c of his size, however point is valid about guys like that falling from their top 5 status. I think teams will be more thrilled with the prospects of those QBs, WRs, Claiborne, Kalil, Martin, and Reiff than Coples if he doesn't have an impressive predraft workout and finish this season strong. I agree that the position change has been negatively effecting his performance. Last year he played DT and strongside end more, now he's the weakside end and he isn't a guy with the quickness to play that spot.

MI_Buckeye
10-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Coples will fall on draft day and it seems we all know it. Bigger-bodied 4-3 DEs like Derrick Morgan and Robert Quinn have similarly been mocked top-5 at this and later stages, and they always either see their stock cool, naturally slip due to the growing number of teams using the 3-4, or a combination of both. Coples isn't some all-world exception. Luck, Kalil, Martin, even Richardson, Kirkpatrick and the top 3 WRs will be graded higher than Coples on draft day, probably along with another handful of guys

Mario Williams what? Chris Long what? Justin Smith what?

killxswitch
10-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Mario Williams what? Chris Long what? Justin Smith what?

Your point is well-taken, but some other examples of big 4-3 ends that fell lower than expected in recent drafts would include Carlos Dunlap, Adrian Clayborn, Cam Jordan, even Derrick Morgan. The exception to this new trend might be drafting a freak athlete like Super Mario, Julius Peppers, or JPP. Those guys don't come along too often. Smith was drafted a long time ago comparatively, and really, Long might be one of the cautionary tales that furthers this trend. He may not be a bust but as a #2 overall pick I would call him a disappointment.

keylime_5
10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
I think going into the draft Clayborn and Morgan went about where we thought they would. Clayborn was probably a top 10 prospect before his senior year where he didn't come close to his junior season production. Morgan was really off the radar before his breakout year that vaulted him as a top 15 prospect. Dunlap had off field issues that dropped him into round two despite having top 15 talent. Jordan was thought of as a top 20 pick who people kept saying would go higher than expected in the top 10 even, yet he fell into the mid 20s. I think Coples is bound to be more like Tyson Jackson as a prospect who had a good senior year and was a top 3 pick despite not being a dynamic pass rusher but more of a 5 technique who people were hopeful would turn into another Seymour or Ty Warren....though after what happened with Jackson (and with how Jordan slipped last year) a DE who isn't a dynamic pass rusher won't go top 5 again anytime soon.