PDA

View Full Version : Dungy:Colts should draft Luck, even if it means trading Manning

dannyz
10-22-2011, 09:56 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8235a4ce/article/dungy-colts-should-draft-luck-even-if-it-means-trading-manning?module=HP11_headline_stack

I don't think know what the Colts would do in this Situation. Also Jamie Dukes Said the Last guy that was a no brainier like Luck was Ryan Leaf, I think Dukes needs to be fired for making that comparison.

bigbluedefense
10-22-2011, 09:58 PM
I really hope the Colts don't get Luck. I hate Bill Polian with a passion.

tjsunstein
10-22-2011, 10:10 PM
That wouldn't even be cool, though.

descendency
10-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Tony Dungy? Former Indianapolis Colts coach? Peyton Manning's dick ornament?

No way... it must be fake.

Sloopy
10-22-2011, 10:23 PM
wow... WOOOOWW. I guess it depends on your position with all of the Luck hypotheticals but I think Dungy is losing it in his old age can't imagine this move.

bucfan12
10-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Honestly, has anyone seen Manning lately? They showed him on the sidelines last weekend during the LSU/Tennesee game and wow, he lost a ton of weight. He first needs to be cleared to begin football activities, that means working out, etc.

Honestly, I think he might retire.

dannyz
10-22-2011, 11:10 PM
He should Retire then become a coach, like the offensive coordinator and also mentor Luck.

bantx
10-22-2011, 11:26 PM
He should do more commercials

Jvig43
10-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Honestly it would be the best move for the organization.

BRAVEHEART
10-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Indy will win a game before Miami does.

Sloopy
10-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Indy will win a game before Miami does.

Not likely, their top WR is less overrated than Wayne and they actually have guys on D other than 2 edge rushers who also are kind of overrated. In fact some guys on Miami's D are rather underrated. Add in the fact that your O-line is probably at least a little better with guys like Long and the fact that the schedule should be easier for a non playoff team than a playoff team and I'd say Indy takes the #1 overall pick this year and has the opportunity to draft luck outright. Miami has IMO 6 more winnable games this season while indy has about 3-4 that they might win.

vidae
10-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Marshall might be the most overrated #1 WR in the NFL. I'd take Wayne over him every day of the week.

MetSox17
10-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Marshall might be the most overrated #1 WR in the NFL. I'd take Wayne over him every day of the week.

He's a lower tiered #1 just like Wayne is, although i'll give him credit over the fact that he's still putting up big numbers despite having a sack of rocks playing Qb for him.

lex
10-23-2011, 08:40 AM
I really don't see that happening. Imagine a team wanting to trade for him: you have to give up a boatload of picks, pay the hefty contract, change your whole offense and assume the risk that he might just play one year or two because of the neck issue. The gamble for carlson palmer seems suddenly a really small one compared to this...

descendency
10-23-2011, 09:13 AM

Curtis Painter is still the worst QB in the NFL.

Jvig43
10-23-2011, 09:23 AM
I really don't see that happening. Imagine a team wanting to trade for him: you have to give up a boatload of picks, pay the hefty contract, change your whole offense and assume the risk that he might just play one year or two because of the neck issue. The gamble for carlson palmer seems suddenly a really small one compared to this...

Wait what?

Sloopy
10-23-2011, 09:23 AM
He's a lower tiered #1 just like Wayne is, although i'll give him credit over the fact that he's still putting up big numbers despite having a sack of rocks playing Qb for him.

This is true, however I look at Wayne as more of a guy who is on the decline of his career yet is still toted as some sort of #1 threat while Marshall is a guy with the talent to live up to his billing but beats himself every week in his own head.

Both are pretty overrated.

nepg
10-23-2011, 09:28 AM
It'd be a Joe Montana-type move. He'd go to some NFC team with a solid defense and elevate the offense to the tune of a serious playoff contender. Like Seattle.

lex
10-23-2011, 10:28 AM
It'd be a Joe Montana-type move. He'd go to some NFC team with a solid defense and elevate the offense to the tune of a serious playoff contender. Like Seattle.

Yeah you're right, i had not thought about that comparison but it makes sense even though it's a long shot.

Babylon
10-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Honestly it would be the best move for the organization.

Might be but why does Tony Dungy have to open his piehole on every subject.

Iamcanadian
10-23-2011, 11:23 AM
With the new rookie salary cap, teams can carry 2 QB's making decent money. The Colts will take Luck if they get a shot and can still afford to retain Manning for the next 2 years a la Rodgers.

Sloopy
10-23-2011, 11:27 AM
With the new rookie salary cap, teams can carry 2 QB's making decent money. The Colts will take Luck if they get a shot and can still afford to retain Manning for the next 2 years a la Rodgers.

Let's not turn this into another "Would team X select Luck if they had the first pick?" thread.

I think the point in question here (if any) is whether or not the Colts should/would trade Manning to get Luck? i.e. manning wouldn't even be on the books in Indy and thus rookie wage scale would not matter.

falloutboy14
10-23-2011, 11:47 AM
The sense I got from the article is that Dungy is saying two things.
1) If the Colts have the opportunity to pick Luck, you must pick Luck.
2) If Manning shows himself capable of playing & you have Luck ready to start, you should trade Manning.

That implies that Manning plays for another season, performs well, & appears to be his normal self. It also means that we shouldn't be predicting trades for this off-season but the 2013 off-season.

Sloopy
10-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Hmm I didn't read this article but heard about it on the radio and they made it seem like Dungy was implying that if for some reason they didn't get the top pick they should use Manning as trade ammunition to move up.

Having read this version: All apologies Iamcanadian

Rabscuttle
10-23-2011, 12:26 PM
If they could use Manning as trade bait to get Luck and remove what could be viewed as a giant anchor of a contract in one fell swoop, then good on them. What moron would make that trade though? Is Miami or any of the other Luck contendors going to win a superbowl in the next year or two with Manning?

This sounds like Polian had lunch with Dungy and wants the crowd softened in the event he has the opportunity to move the player associated with the only success the Colts have seen since their move.

I don't want this. I would rather see Indy saddled with that monstrous contract that signed.

Sloopy
10-23-2011, 12:33 PM
If they could use Manning as trade bait to get Luck and remove what could be viewed as a giant anchor of a contract in one fell swoop, then good on them. What moron would make that trade though? Is Miami or any of the other Luck contendors going to win a superbowl in the next year or two with Manning?

I tend to agree with you thats why I thought Dungy had lost it. I think the contract they signed has effectively placed Manning in Indy until the end of his career, who would want to eat that huge contract at this point?

falloutboy14
10-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Chances are a ton of the money in that contract is guaranteed money. I'm no expert, but I believe that money is the Colt's responsibility/cap hit should he be traded.

Also, the contract was very front-loaded. So after two years with the Colts (this year & next) the contract should be much more manageable.

thegreatone
10-23-2011, 01:36 PM
The Ravens should trade Flacco and acquire Manning.

RaiderNation
10-23-2011, 03:01 PM
I just don't see the Colts doing this, and IMO this would be a bad situation for Luck to go to. The Colts don't have much young talent and a bad defense. The Colts should try to win now and trade/sign players for the short term. Manning will play at a high level if his neck allows it.

Diehard
10-23-2011, 04:23 PM
What moron would make that trade though? Is Miami or any of the other Luck contendors going to win a superbowl in the next year or two with Manning?

I think it could work out in a less linear fashion - e.g. trade Manning for draft picks, then use some/all of those picks as part of a package to trade up for Luck.

dannyz
10-23-2011, 06:31 PM
I want to see what Dungy says tonight, The Colts are playing and you know they will ask him about the comments he made.

Halsey
10-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Luck is just too good to pass up for any team, unless they get a HUGE trade offer. Luck is so good that even some team with an amazing young QB, like the Packers or Panthers, couldn't just let him fall to #2. It's a lock that some team will trade for him, if the team with the top pick is willing to trade down.

Unbiased
10-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Might be but why does Tony Dungy have to open his piehole on every subject.

Because he's on that 12 hour Sunday night show. Why can't the Sunday night game just come on at 7:30?

katnip
10-23-2011, 11:36 PM
I would. Luck would be alot cheaper under the new cba, and he's obviously younger with still alot of potential left i believe. And this peytons 3 rd neck surgery in the last year and a half?

watch

Basileus777
10-23-2011, 11:40 PM
There is some merit in this, if for no other reason than the Colts roster is a mess and they are unlikely to contend for a title during the next few seasons. The Colts need to rebuild that team. Not to mention that you could trade Peyton for a very valuable package, look what the Raiders gave up for Carson ******* Palmer. Luck plus whatever pieces you get for Manning could help set up that team for another decade, while keeping Peyton might just you get a mediocre team for a few years before having to rebuild anyway.

jayceheathman
10-23-2011, 11:47 PM

This sounds like Polian had lunch with Dungy and wants the crowd softened in the event he has the opportunity to move the player associated with the only success the Colts have seen since their move.

I don't want this. I would rather see Indy saddled with that monstrous contract that signed.

It would depend on quite a few things. I would first wait and see what the doctors said about his neck, then see what kind of picks I would have to give up to get Manning, and then see how much of his contract the Colts would be willing to pick up. If the price was right and the doctors said that he was good to go then I would at least consider the option of getting him.

jayceheathman
10-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Luck is just too good to pass up for any team, unless they get a HUGE trade offer. Luck is so good that even some team with an amazing young QB, like the Packers or Panthers, couldn't just let him fall to #2. It's a lock that some team will trade for him, if the team with the top pick is willing to trade down.

There is no way the Packers or Panthers would take him just for the sake of making sure that another team can't get him.

Brothgar
10-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Can you imagine...

Manning gets traded to Miami Rob Ryan becomes the head coach. Colts have two top 5 picks. How crazy would the AFC East be.

Ryan Bros in the same division. Peyton vs Brady twice a year. Colts vs Miami would be a marquee game.