PDA

View Full Version : Underclassmen RBs

Hines
10-23-2011, 12:54 AM
With an underwhelming amount of senior RB talent, the underclassmen will surely pick up the slack if all or even half of this list comes out:

Trent Richardson Alabama
Lamar Miller Miami(Fla)
Bernard Pierce Temple
Montee Ball Wisconsin
David Wilson Virginia Tech
Ray Graham Pittsburgh
Robert Turbin Utah State
Chris Polk Washington
Stefon Taylor Stanford
Christine Michael Texas A&M
LaMichael James Oregon
Cierre Wood Notre Dame

Obviously not everyone is going to come out, but I think 3/4ths could to make this a strong RB class.

Discuss.

tjsunstein
10-23-2011, 01:04 AM
I'm going to start driving the Bernard Pierce bandwagon if no one else is.

4U2NV
10-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Christine Michael is awesome! Everytime I see him play he impresses me. Cyrus Who?

Iamcanadian
10-23-2011, 11:15 AM
With the new rookie salary cap. this year could see the lowest # of juniors to ever declare. To make any money, they will have to be guaranteed to go in round 1 by the NFL Advisory Committee which doesn't like to hand out round 1 rankings.
This isn't going to be a normal year where most juniors declare so only 1 or 2 of these guys may take the plunge.

bengalbuck
10-23-2011, 04:54 PM
With the new rookie salary cap. this year could see the lowest # of juniors to ever declare. To make any money, they will have to be guaranteed to go in round 1 by the NFL Advisory Committee which doesn't like to hand out round 1 rankings.
This isn't going to be a normal year where most juniors declare so only 1 or 2 of these guys may take the plunge.

This makes no sense to me at all...

If anything, it makes coming out early more attractive to reach the 2nd contract quicker.

Plus, the changes really only impacted the top 10 or so picks, everyone else is getting pretty much exactly the same as before.

I think at least 5 of these guys will declare.

Ozzy
10-23-2011, 05:13 PM
This is how I have the current junior class of running backs who are on the radar. The ones in bold are the ones you did not include. Some are clearly non prospects almost at the bottom, players that transfered schools or fell off in production. But yes it is a very good group of juniors at the top and in the middle, but as usual, the top senior rushers are kind of weak. However Doug Martin is a beast, Brandon Bolden I really like and Marc Tyler is playing ok as seniors.

Junior class of RBs:

Trent Richardson Alabama
Knile Davis Arkansas
Lamar Miller Miami FL RS SOPH
LaMichael James Oregon
Christine Michael Texas A&M
Rex Burkhead Nebraska
David Wilson Virginia Tech
Montee Ball Wisconsin
Ray Graham Pitt
Latavius Murray UCF
Cierre Wood Notre Dame
Bernard Pierce Temple
Edwin Baker Michigan State
Robert Turbin Utah State
Chris Polk Washington
Jonathan Franklin UCLA
Stepfan Taylor Stanford
Dominique Whaley Oklahoma
Isi Sofele Cal
Curtis McNeal USC
Collin Klein Kansas State
Dennis Johnson Arkansas
Tyler Gaffney Stanford
Andre Ellington Clemson
Larry Caper Michigan State
Ed Wesley TCU
Chris Thompson Florida State
Adam Robinson Iowa
Ronnie Wingo Jr. Arkansas
Kenjon Barner  Oregon
Jermaine Thomas Florida State
Darius Willis Indiana
Onterio McCalebb Auburn
Tyrone Duplessis La Tech
Brandon Wegher Iowa
Washaun Ealey Georgia

whatadai
10-23-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't know much about the underclassmen RBs...so I'm wondering...out of these guys who do you think will reach elite or near elite status? Perennial 1000+ yard rushers in the NFL?

MI_Buckeye
10-25-2011, 04:41 PM
I think Polk is a solid No. 3 behind T-Rich and Miller right now. I also am starting to take a liking to Andre Ellington.

Punisher
10-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Chris Polk=Ray Rice part 2

RaiderNation
10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Richardson and Miller are the cream of the crop guys, I also like Chris Polk though

VUBlacknGold
10-25-2011, 06:37 PM
what about Zac Stacy from Vandy, ehhh?

ellsy82
10-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Gonna say Lamar Miller! Dude is definitely coming out and will be a great weapon for whatever team drafts him.

TACKLE
10-26-2011, 12:59 AM
To me, there are three draft eligible RB's in this draft who would carry first round grades on my board. Their names are as follows:

Trent Richardson
Lamar Miller
Ray Graham

holt_bruce81
10-28-2011, 01:35 AM
Is Henry Josey worth talking about as a prospect?

Last year as a Freshman, he had 437 yards on 76 carries and 5 touchdowns.

This year he has 855 yards on 99 carries, 8.6 yards per carry.

6 att. 43 yards vs Miami (OH)
9 att. 94 yards vs Arizona State
14 att. 263 yards 3 TDs vs Western Illinois
14 att. 133 yards 1 TD vs Oklahoma
12 att. 55 yards 1 TD vs Kansas State
19 att. 129 yards 1 TD vs Iowa State
25 att. 138 yards vs Oklahoma State

Caulibflower
10-28-2011, 02:30 AM
I'm going to start driving the Bernard Pierce bandwagon if no one else is.

I warmed up the engine.

jth1331
10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
He won't come out this year, but I wonder what everyone thinks of Dominique Whaley?

ToldLikeItIs
10-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Marcus Coker has been playing as late and might deserve a little love.

6'1 230, quite a physical back.

Freshman - 622 yds, 3 tds
Sophomore through 7 games - 717 yds, 8 tds

stl9erfan
10-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Polk is an absolute beast. He'd be great value for a team somewhere in the 2nd round.

Taylor, I think, could benefit from another year at Stanford. Let him put up these kinds of numbers without the threat of Andrew Luck throwing and his stock could go up considerably.

FUNBUNCHER
10-30-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't see the Ray Rice comparisons to Polk. Chris Polk is a big back with tools, he looks like a feature guy.

This RB class looks really deep at the top. Richardson/Miller/Wilson/Pierce/Polk are are special prospects IMO.

Ray Graham has more in common with Ray Rice than Polk.

40 times will slot where many of the top guys end up drafted.

4U2NV
10-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Any chance that Wilson gets knocked a bit for the whole VT thing? The last RB hyped coming out of VT was Kevin Jones who didn't meet expectations at all (not including Ryan Williams until he shows something on the field). If teams downgrade Steve Spurrier WRs could they do the same for Wilson?

FUNBUNCHER
10-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah he could be downgraded, but if he busts out a blazing 40 time at the combine at a weight @210#, I think people will forgive him for playing for the Hokies.

niel89
10-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Taylor, I think, could benefit from another year at Stanford. Let him put up these kinds of numbers without the threat of Andrew Luck throwing and his stock could go up considerably.

Stepfan Taylor is a great college runner and he is really consistent. I love him but, I don't really see him as a great prospect because he really isn't athletically great in any clear way. Not the biggest, not the explicitly explosive. He has great patience, knows how to read his blocks, and just get it done running the ball. There are more talented RBs on Stanfords roster, but Taylor's consistency is what makes him great at this level.

The real questions about him come from the offense around him. He benefits from playing with the top QB who can keep the other team from stacking the box (although I argue that Luck benefits just as much from the run game). He has some top OL play in front of him as well, heck 2 probable 1st rounders in front of him. His numbers also benefit because his team has a strong commitment to running the football. Stanford will run the ball every play on some drives.

Overall good player. He is productive and does well with what he has around him. Another year with out Luck and the talent at OL would really show more. I'd say maybe a lower rounder, but I could see him being a productive player.