PDA

View Full Version : Dave Wyman vs Peyton Hillis and Pregnant Mothers

nobodyinparticular
10-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I was listening to some sports radio on my way into church this morning and happened to turn on the Seahawks pre-game show. During my time listening to the show, Dave Wyman, a former LB for the Seahawks, decided to go off on a rant on Peyton Hillis who is inactive today with a strained hamstring. During this rant, Wyman made it very clear that he did not agree with Hillis missing time with "a scratchy throat" or "a case of the sniffles". From there, he continued to say that there was no way Hillis should miss time for a strained hamstring. No joke.

Really, who needs a hamstring? You mean to tell me that playing with a strained hamstring could cause it to rupture and ruin your career? That's not important! Playing a game against the 2-3 Seahawks is more important than that!

Excuse my little rant on that aspect of Wyman's statement, but it was the next statement Wyman made that really made me sit up straight. The radio commentator then equated Hillis' contract dispute and missing the game with the strep throat to players missing a game or leaving a game early to be with their wives at the birth of their child. Wyman continued his rant saying these players are paid millions of dollars to be on the football field at game time and shouldn't miss it for anything--including the birth of a child. What struck me was the disdain this guy had when he said "or those guys who leave the game early just to be at the BIRTH of a CHILD!" As if it were the same thing as leaving the game to catch a U2 concert or something mundane and unimportant.

Do you agree with Wyman? Am I really alone in believing that football is just a game and life--especially the birth of your child--should be much more important than playing the last 30 minutes of one game?

Rabscuttle
10-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Family is far less important to a lot of guys than they let on.

Jvig43
10-23-2011, 02:36 PM
I have a strained hamstring at the moment, and I can't even drive my jeep because its a standard. No way would I be playing football.

nobodyinparticular
10-23-2011, 02:40 PM
I have a strained hamstring at the moment, and I can't even drive my jeep because its a standard. No way would I be playing football.

Exactly. The fact that all three guys judging Hillis for not playing with a hamstring injury is absolutely absurd.

I just think it's more absurd to make a blanket statement that a player should be on the field at all times even when his wife is giving birth. Wyman equated Hillis' "sitting out with the sniffles" earlier this year to players leaving a game for the birth of their child. Both the hamstring quote and the pregnant mom quote is absurd.

Jvig43
10-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm having trouble walking tbh. I just limp around everywhere and the doctors told me it will be that way for a couple of weeks. If I had to play or it was a big game I may be able to get away with playing a position like QB or something, but certainly not a running back who needs to rely on making cuts.

Ness
10-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Football is just a game. Being there for the birth of your child only happens once.

dj825
10-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Familiy should be more important that any game, even if you do get paid millions. the hamstring thing is just ********, as Jvig pointed out, not much you can do with one. and the strep throat thing...has that dude ever had strep throat? it sucks and you feel like ****, plus youre super contagious and i wouldnt want to be on the field with that or be on the field with someone else who has it. im no Doctor so idk how likely it is to catch it in that situation but i dont care if my chances are really low of catching it at the time, either way i wouldnt want to risk it.

Sloopy
10-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Familiy should be more important that any game, even if you do get paid millions. the hamstring thing is just ********, as Jvig pointed out, not much you can do with one. and the strep throat thing...has that dude ever had strep throat? it sucks and you feel like ****, plus youre super contagious and i wouldnt want to be on the field with that or be on the field with someone else who has it. im no Doctor so idk how likely it is to catch it in that situation but i dont care if my chances are really low of catching it at the time, either way i wouldnt want to risk it.

I definitely disagree with his comments about the birth of a mans child. It's probably one of the most special moments involved in raising a child and on a psychological level (not so much for dads) is where the baby makes some of its first connections.

As far as the dissing of Streptococcal Pharyngitis: I understand someone saying the sniffles shouldn't keep you out but it can be almost impossible to breath. To your question about it being contagious; Its one of the most contagious common illnesses out there, ESPECIALLY, in crowds/close quarters. It spreads like crazy through Dorms and military barracks. I imagine it would be a wildfire in a locker room setting. My college used to go as far as imposing a light quarantine on you if they found out you had it, couldn't leave your room other than going to the bathroom. They brought you food and you were forbidden from going to classes.

BuckeyeDan17
10-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Agree with everything being said. I had strepthroat and it sucks to even try to talk. And as far as missing a child's birth, YOUR child's birth. GTFO. I would be critical of Hillis if he DIDN'T miss the game. I would have a serious problem if he played and wasn't at his kid's birth.

**** this guy.

PACKmanN
10-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Football is just a game. Being there for the birth of your child only happens once.

sure his missing a child`s birth excuse is garbage, but to those who say football is just a game; remember, it no longer becomes just a game once you play for a college team in the ncaa, or play for a team in the nfl. It becomes a business

tjsunstein
10-23-2011, 11:02 PM
I'd miss the Super Bowl for the birth of my child.