PDA

View Full Version : Who's the top defense?

fear the elf
10-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Currently the AFC North holds the spots 1-4 in regards to YPG allowed. The current standing are:

1. Bengals
2. Steelers
3. Ravens
4. Browns

I'm wondering who you all think is the best overall defense going forward (the next 3-5 years).

Notable young players

Bengals - Domata Peko, Geno Atkins, Leon Hall, Carlos Dunlap
Steelers - Ziggy Hood, Cam Heyward, Woodley, Timmons
Ravens - Ngata, Terrence Cody, Jimmy Smith
Browns - Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Jabaal Sheard, Phil Taylor, Ahtyba Rubin

BuckeyeDan17
10-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Our defensive ranking is incredibly misleading having played against Andy Dalton, Manningless Colts, winless Dolphins and Charlie Whitehurts-led Seahawks.

The Raiders and Titans who have above average offensive firepower had their way with us.

Wake me up when we stop a respectable offense.

I'd go with Baltimore.

fear the elf
10-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Our defensive ranking is incredibly misleading having played against Andy Dalton, Manningless Colts, winless Dolphins and Charlie Whitehurts-led Seahawks.

The Raiders and Titans who have above average offensive firepower had their way with us.

I'd go with Baltimore.

I would tend to agree with you. At the same time, you play who's on your schedule. Also, the "looking forward" component is interesting as the Browns do have some good young players.

That being said, I think I'm going to go with the Bengals. That defense is pretty young, and they are just shutting people down. I'm impressed.

BuckeyeDan17
10-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Yeah, there really isn't a wrong answer. Pittsburgh doesn't seem to be as dominant as they have been in years past, don't know for sure though as I haven't seem them play much.

I'm really not trying to sound like a pessimist, just calling it like I see it. But in no way, shape, or form am I saying we don't look promising. Imagine once we got a respectable starting number 2 CB to go alongside Haden, a respectable free safety and some speed at linebacker.

You hit the nail on the head with our young promising players, looks like we're playing the run better every week. I want to see how this defense comes out against Big Ben, Ray Rice, Arian Foster etc. Then we'll have a better barometer to see where we're at with Dick J and the personnel on that side of the ball.

keylime_5
10-24-2011, 12:33 PM

I'd go with Baltimore.

yeah, our schedule hasn't been exactly that hard so far. Then again it's been no worse than the Bengals, who've played the Colts, Jaguars, Browns, Broncos, 49ers, and Bills. And to be fair, the Browns outgained the Titans offensively. Titans had a pick 6, Raiders had 2 special teams touchdowns, and neither the Raiders nor the Titans had more than 330 yards of total offense against the Browns, while the other teams they've played have under 300 yards of offense. Cleveland's defense is only 2 or 3 players away plus some more decent depth from being a very good unit. They are very young and very productive. Lots of good young players on that side of the ball.

I think all 4 AFC North teams' defensive statistics are greatly inflated due to their weak schedules. Browns' #s will go down in the second half of the season when they have to play Houston, Pittsburgh twice, and Baltimore twice.

MetSox17
10-24-2011, 12:59 PM
For having a **** secondary for most of the season, our defense has been amazing. #6 overall, #1 rushing D, and we're just getting our secondary healthy and in mid-season form. I like the outlook there.

Sloopy
10-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Browns - Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Jabaal Sheard, Phil Taylor, Ahtyba Rubin[/QUOTE]

I'd venture to say that you can add Suggs to this list, He's just hit his prime right now and has already been a monster in his career and will probably still be a seriously dominant player for the 3-5 year scenario which you have laid out.

Also Paul Kruger looks like he may develop into a serious player

just a little bump for the Ravens D

BmoreBlackByrdz
10-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Browns - Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Jabaal Sheard, Phil Taylor, Ahtyba Rubin

I'd venture to say that you can add Suggs to this list, He's just hit his prime right now and has already been a monster in his career and will probably still be a seriously dominant player for the 3-5 year scenario which you have laid out.

Also Paul Kruger looks like he may develop into a serious player

just a little bump for the Ravens D[/QUOTE]

As well as Pernell McPhee. He's gonna be a stud 34 DE once we lose Redding.

Bengalsrocket
10-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Michael Johnson, Rey Maualuga & Pat Sims are all young players that should end up having a huge impact on the Bengals for the next 3-5 years as well.

fear the elf
10-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Michael Johnson, Rey Maualuga & Pat Sims are all young players that should end up having a huge impact on the Bengals for the next 3-5 years as well.

Because I know the Browns better than the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers. No offense intended. Excuse me for being a Browns fan.

Bengalsrocket
10-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Because I know the Browns better than the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers. No offense intended. Excuse me for being a Browns fan.

No you're right, I edited out the other part of my post because I realized it seemed like an attack afterwards.

phlysac
10-24-2011, 07:58 PM
PPG is often more valuable than YPG.

Thought I'd throw the 49ers into the ring.

descendency
10-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Patriots.

#1 defense in the redzone.

edit: On topic, I'd say it really should be the Browns or Bengals.

Pat Sims 90
10-24-2011, 08:31 PM
I like where the Bengals are going. Will be interesting to see when Mike Zimmer decides to bolt.

Razor
10-24-2011, 08:42 PM
I had to go with the Bengals on this one. They have talent at LB, Carlos Dunlap is a beast. They have some disruptive players at DT. Their secondary looks like a mess at times, but they're not far away from being a very good defense as it is. The Steelers' defense is getting old, so is the Ravens'. I don't think they can cope with losing two HoF players like Lewis and Reed. The Cleveland Browns are... Well, the Cleveland Browns. So really, there's no other option than Cincy for me.

Sloopy
10-24-2011, 09:55 PM

No worries, like I said just giving my boys a little bump.

I had to go with the Bengals on this one. They have talent at LB, Carlos Dunlap is a beast. They have some disruptive players at DT. Their secondary looks like a mess at times, but they're not far away from being a very good defense as it is. The Steelers' defense is getting old, so is the Ravens'. I don't think they can cope with losing two HoF players like Lewis and Reed. The Cleveland Browns are... Well, the Cleveland Browns. So really, there's no other option than Cincy for me.

The Ravens still have A LOT of young talent and will reload, furthermore few teams do a better job in the draft.

Also if Suggs maintains his pace he may be the next HoF on that defense.

Razor
10-25-2011, 03:28 AM
The Ravens still have A LOT of young talent and will reload, furthermore few teams do a better job in the draft.

Also if Suggs maintains his pace he may be the next HoF on that defense.

I strongly disagree with this. The Ravens have McPhee and Cody. I don't think Ngata is young since he'll be 28 this january, but he's an elite player - no doubt about that. Besides that they have Jimmy Williams. That's not a "LOT" of young talent imo. Also, are we really talking about Suggs as a future Hall of Famers? I'm sure as hell not, at least not with players like Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware playing lights out every year. Hell, I could easily name some five other pass rushers that I think has had/will have a better career than Suggs. I think Suggs is a fine pass rusher, but he's not elite. And since when are we talking about putting non-elite players in the HoF?

Sloopy
10-25-2011, 04:55 AM
I strongly disagree with this. The Ravens have McPhee and Cody. I don't think Ngata is young since he'll be 28 this january, but he's an elite player - no doubt about that. Besides that they have Jimmy Williams. That's not a "LOT" of young talent imo. Also, are we really talking about Suggs as a future Hall of Famers? I'm sure as hell not, at least not with players like Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware playing lights out every year. Hell, I could easily name some five other pass rushers that I think has had/will have a better career than Suggs. I think Suggs is a fine pass rusher, but he's not elite. And since when are we talking about putting non-elite players in the HoF?

I won't disagree with you that it would be hard, however he's only 28 IIRC, and has quite a few years left in him, if he has a couple more 10+ sack seasons (on pace to do so this year) and maybe increases his int totals he has an outside shot. As far as this thread, he will at least be a dominant pass rusher for the allotted time frame.

And since when is 28 "not young?" I mean the guy is in his prime right now and probably will maintain it for the next 3 years or more. Again fitting this time frame. He will also be working around Mount Cody who looks promising this year.

Not a large body of work on him yet but Jimmy Smith has all the tools to be an elite corner and will be under the tutelage of one of the best DB's in the game.

Paul Kruger has also looked promising as a pass rusher and would have Suggs opposite him with Cody Ngata and Redding taking up blockers for him.

So you have 3-4 young up and comers on that defense, 2 guys who are really just starting the prime of their careers and 2 HoF on the Defense right now. Ozzie Newsome has done a great job of reloading in the draft and will hopefully continue to do so.

Are they the youngest defense in the league? No. However, I'm not exactly sure being the youngest defense in the league makes for a GOOD defense over the next 3-5 years which is what the poll originally asks.

Sloopy
10-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Furthermore, while guys like Jason Taylor and John Abraham have had better careers thus far, they also have larger bodies of work and Suggs could catch up to their totals by the time he hangs up his career.

As far as guys who you think will have better careers, this is merely your speculation on the matter.

Of active NFL sack leaders (Suggs ways in at 10th), there are only three guys ahead of Suggs who are under the age of 30: Ware, Allen and Mathis. Allen being far and ahead of the others.

Only two players ahead of him are 3-4 OLB: Ware and Joey Porter.

So right now he's a top 10 sack artist and a top 3 3-4 OLB.

Im not saying he's a lock for Canton, but it's not outside of the realm of possibility, and as far as current players, he is definitely in that conversation of top pass-rushers. Especially if you narrow it down to pass rushing LB who also have other responsibilities other than rushing the passer.

bearfan
10-25-2011, 09:55 AM
I feel that the Ravens are winning soley based on the fact that they have been such a good defense for the past decade. Think, in 3-5 years Ray Lewis and Ed Reed may be retired, which I factored in. Yeah Ngata and Suggs will be there, but those are two guys who have been intergral to the defense. W/o them I cannot see Baltimore's defense being "the best" of the four in 3-5 years.

killxswitch
10-25-2011, 11:03 AM
I feel that the Ravens are winning soley based on the fact that they have been such a good defense for the past decade. Think, in 3-5 years Ray Lewis and Ed Reed may be retired, which I factored in. Yeah Ngata and Suggs will be there, but those are two guys who have been intergral to the defense. W/o them I cannot see Baltimore's defense being "the best" of the four in 3-5 years.

Well sure, if you take the 2 best players out of any defense they're going to suffer for it.