PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning to Baltimore?

thegreatone
10-25-2011, 12:14 AM
If Indy lands the #1 pick, its pretty clear they'll be taking Luck. And obviously Manning isn't going to take that, so he will have to be traded.

Baltimore is loaded, but doesn't have a QB.

Do you think this could happen? And how much would Baltimore have to give up?

tjsunstein
10-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Seriously, this thread is ******* stupid. Get the **** out. Now. This is the worst hypothetical ever, completely knee jerk reaction, and I'm dumber for reading it.

niel89
10-25-2011, 12:17 AM
keep dreaming.

thegreatone
10-25-2011, 12:23 AM
Seriously, this thread is ******* stupid. Get the **** out. Now. This is the worst hypothetical ever, completely knee jerk reaction, and I'm dumber for reading it.
Not exactly knee jerk.

He has sucked all year.

tjsunstein
10-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Not exactly knee jerk.

He has sucked all year.
It's not whether or not he's sucked or not, but Baltimore is invested in him and is going to let this play out as long as they keep making the playoffs. And the fact that you just decided to throw Peyton Manning in there...? Why do you even think for a second this is possible? There's nothing to discuss here, it's a terrible made up scenario.

Ness
Not exactly knee jerk.

He has sucked all year.

What? How about the games against the Steelers and Rams then? He performed great. He's gotten sacked a good amount thus far in the year, but his protection hasn't been that great either. He hasn't sucked all year though, that's ridiculous.

Complex
I wonder if they are going to resign Joe Flacco.

Ness
10-25-2011, 12:27 AM

They better have someone in line to replace him if they don't want him anymore. Even decent starters like Flacco don't come around easily. He's already the best starter the team has ever had.

bearsfan_51
10-25-2011, 12:28 AM
The Colts are never ever going to trade Manning. Ever.

dj825
really? i usually dont mind hypothetical threads but srsly? why wouldnt a 35 (36 at the time of the draft) year old QB stand for them drafting another QB? i cant find it now but there was an article on NFL.com before the season where Bill Polian said he talked to manning about the possibility of drafting Luck or another QB to be his back up during the contract negotiations with Manning and Manning was ok with it. im pretty sure Manning wouldnt mind mentoring a young QB, which btw hed do that with Flacco if he was traded to Baltimore or prolly anywhere else...if i was him and i had a choice of which QB id want to mentor itd prolly be Luck for the team that drafted me and i won a super bowl with. i dont see a team like the Colts pushing Luck into a starting role as long as Manning is healthy and if Manning isnt he will prolly retire or idk just simply not not give too many ***** that someone else is playing since its out of his hands and try his best to help his team by helping said QB (like now). stupid hypotheticals....

thegreatone
What? How about the games against the Steelers and Rams then? He performed great. He's gotten sacked a good amount thus far in the year, but his protection hasn't been that great either. He hasn't sucked all year though, that's ridiculous.
He played well against Pittsburgh, but he was given 7 turnovers.

St. Louis is atrocious. Not exactly a big deal.

bam bam
10-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Baltimore needs to get its OL to play even decent first

thegreatone
really? i usually dont mind hypothetical threads but srsly? why wouldnt a 35 (36 at the time of the draft) year old QB stand for them drafting another QB? i cant find it now but there was an article on NFL.com before the season where Bill Polian said he talked to manning about the possibility of drafting Luck or another QB to be his back up during the contract negotiations with Manning and Manning was ok with it. im pretty sure Manning wouldnt mind mentoring a young QB, which btw hed do that with Flacco if he was traded to Baltimore or prolly anywhere else...if i was him and i had a choice of which QB id want to mentor itd prolly be Luck for the team that drafted me and i won a super bowl with. i dont see a team like the Colts pushing Luck into a starting role as long as Manning is healthy and if Manning isnt he will prolly retire or idk just simply not not give too many ***** that someone else is playing since its out of his hands and try his best to help his team by helping said QB (like now). stupid hypotheticals....
Just look at the team right now. They need help everywhere so Manning could have a chance to win a SB, and he knows it. Wouldn't he rather see Indy take care of those needs so he has a better chance to win now?

Complex
That is not saying much Tony Banks,Trent Difler,Elvis Grbac,Kyle Boller,Anthony Wright,past his Steve McNair,Am I forgetting anyone else?

thegreatone
I hope not.

tjsunstein
10-25-2011, 12:31 AM
I thought I was the one that was stoned but this is very oddly worded.

tjsunstein
10-25-2011, 12:33 AM
I hope not.
You make a very compelling case. Strong argument.

thegreatone
10-25-2011, 12:34 AM
You make a very compelling case. Strong argument.
Go watch the tape.

It speaks for itself.

TonyGfortheTD
10-25-2011, 12:35 AM
The Colts are never ever going to trade Manning. Ever.

I could see the Colts attempt it if they completely clean house after this season, but they'd likely ask for much more than Newsome would be willing to part with.

The irony of Peyton going from Indy to Baltimore would be delicious though.

Cam Cameron getting fired is more likely to happen then Peyton putting on a Ravens uniform, though.

Ness
10-25-2011, 12:35 AM
He played well against Pittsburgh, but he was given 7 turnovers.

St. Louis is atrocious. Not exactly a big deal.

So what. He made the most of his opportunities and played a good game. He's had other big games in his career as well.

thegreatone
10-25-2011, 12:37 AM
So what. He made the most of his opportunities and played a good game. He's had other big games in his career as well.
Derek Anderson has had good games.

Mark Sanchez has had good games.

Whats your point?

Ness
10-25-2011, 12:41 AM
That is not saying much Tony Banks,Trent Difler,Elvis Grbac,Kyle Boller,Anthony Wright,past his Steve McNair,Am I forgetting anyone else?

Chris Redman I think. But the point still stands. Flacco is the best quarterback they've had thus far, plays at a decent to sometimes very good level, and the Ravens have made the playoffs three straight years with him as a starter. Like I already told another poster, I doubt this happens if he isn't their starter and they have another journeyman quarterback at the helm. Flacco isn't a bad player, and in my opinion isn't the problem in Baltimore and wasn't the problem in their last playoff loss. He's not going to be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but that should be expected. But he's good enough that the Ravens can at least get to the Super Bowl. If they were to replace him, they better have someone in line already that can put up better production. A lot of teams would rather have Flacco than their current starter. Let's also not forget that he's still a pretty young guy in this league and it's only his fourth season.

Ness
10-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Derek Anderson has had good games.

Mark Sanchez has had good games.

Whats your point?

Derek Anderson had one fluke season. Give me a break.

And Mark Sanchez has had good games too. He's not a terrible player either and is still a young guy in this league.

The point should be obvious. Flacco isn't a terrible player like you said he is.

Xonraider
10-25-2011, 12:44 AM

This is one of the funniest rants I have read... I mean I just totally imagined you yelling that at your screen

DanZilla
10-25-2011, 12:49 AM
If Peyton did somehow got traded (never gonna happen) to Baltimore, he would still sort of, kind of play for the Colts. lol

RaiderNation
10-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Almost kind of wish the Raiders would have traded 2 1st's for Peyton instead of Palmer. Not giving up on Palmer, but am I the only one seeing Manning coming back and still being a top 5 QB?

tjsunstein
10-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Almost kind of wish the Raiders would have traded 2 1st's for Peyton instead of Palmer. Not giving up on Palmer, but am I the only one seeing Manning coming back and still being a top 5 QB?
I don't expect Peyton to lose anything in this time injured, either.

Brothgar
10-25-2011, 12:57 AM
Since we are throwing hypotheticals out there. Instead of Baltimore what about Miami? The ownership hates the current QB but LOVES big names. Doesn't get any bigger than Manning that of course is in the case that front office people in Indy follow through with the threat to take Luck. The way I see it is that Peyton takes care of the offense and if the chin rejects Miami they take Rob Ryan as the Head Coach. How crazy would the AFC East be if that happened. Ryan twins meet twice a year. Brady v Manning twice a year.

DanZilla
10-25-2011, 01:06 AM
Since we are throwing hypotheticals out there. Instead of Baltimore what about Miami? The ownership hates the current QB but LOVES big names. Doesn't get any bigger than Manning that of course is in the case that front office people in Indy follow through with the threat to take Luck. The way I see it is that Peyton takes care of the offense and if the chin rejects Miami they take Rob Ryan as the Head Coach. How crazy would the AFC East be if that happened. Ryan twins meet twice a year. Brady v Manning twice a year.
would easily be the most entertaining division in the nfl

wogitalia
10-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Baltimore needs to get its OL to play even decent first

Pretty sure that is unpossible(sic) for any team that starts Mount McKinnie. You know the guy who got his nickname because he literally lets anyone who has a first step mount his QB.

I didn't watch this game, in fact I haven't see a Ravens game all year, but I saw enough of him in our Purple to know that he is a worthless 400lb piece of ****.

That felt really good to say out loud!

RCAChainGang
10-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Manning is too classy to want a trade. He wouldn't want a whole new group of guys either. This won't happen. Plus baltimore isn't stupid enough to sell their soul for Peyton.

wogitalia
10-25-2011, 02:49 AM
Would be some kind of karma though, steal a franchise, retaliation is to steal your franchise... even though you have Luck to replace him.

Caulibflower
10-25-2011, 04:31 AM
Calling Joe Flacco the best QB Baltimore has ever had isn't really any more meaningful than saying, "Joe Flacco is an average quarterback." Steve McNair played one season when he was old; I'm not counting it. As for the Colts, they look so bad this year they have no choice but to be thinking imminent rebuild. Manning's status is uncertain. I've seen it reported more than once that it's within the realm of possibility that he never plays again. Even if he were healthy, the guy is 35, will be 36 next year. Guys retire at that age without injuries. So in keeping him, you're looking at a, comparatively, very old football player with a line that can't run block, running backs who can't run, and a defense that depends on having a lead to play competitively. They might want to just trade their players whose trade value exceeds their value on the field and infuse some young talent into their team, specifically their defense. They could cash in Robert Mathis for some draft talent; he's still got years in him, he's productive and pass rushers go for a lot. They could probably turn him into two solid defenders that way, and building a defense is about closing holes. Maybe they think about trading Austin Collie or Anthony Gonzalez. The guys can't stay healthy; maybe you just cut your losses and roll the dice again for some different players. But I'm digressing. This isn't about what the Colts could do to rebuild their team, we're talking specifically about a trade of Manning to the Ravens.

Joe Flacco is still playing his rookie contract, which will pay him for one more year after this season; he can be traded in the offseason. After 4 years, the Ravens probably ought to know what they think of him and his long-term potential. And I gotta tell you, I've never been real impressed with anything about his game other than his above-average athleticism and arm. He's got a great arm. But he's not clutch. I've seen him miss on critical throws more than I've seen him make them. (His playoff throw to Mark Clayton would've kept them in that game, granted.) That could have everything to do with the games I've watched, and I may be wrong, but overall Joe Flacco does not impress me. The Ravens, regardless of how well Flacco is playing, are going to keep pursuing opportunities which lead their team closer to the Super Bowl. If they think it would be easier to get to the Super Bowl with Manning, and that becomes a legitimate opportunity, they're thinking about it. If they are unsure about their QB, they're not going to be thinking about hurting their quarterback's feelings; they're going to just keep pursuing the ring.

So Indianapolis, realizing how thin their roster is and with Peyton's health in mind, decide that they're going to start building the offense around Andrew Luck sooner rather than later. Maybe Irsay's got enough of his old man in him to treat Peyton as a business decision. If Carson Palmer gets two firsts, Peyton's got to garner at least a first and a third or fourth (lower value due age and health). The Ravens have a team that, as a whole, is much better equipped to win a Super Bowl than the Colts. Solid O-line, star-studded, albeit somewhat aged defense, Ray Rice. Torrey Smith will have a year under his belt. Anquan Boldin can still play, and Peyton could turn Ed Dickson into a star player. Not as explosive as Indy on paper, but better overall. The Ravens wouldn't be nearly as inept as Indianapolis is this year if Flacco went down. The Ravens are a perennial playoff contender with an average quarterback. Peyton (as much as he annoys me), I think will still be a top QB for a few years if his neck holds up, but as much as it seems like sacrilege, Indy might not think they're good enough overall to win a Super Bowl with him, or think that and the risk of re-injury make him expensive, but available to high bidders. Baltimore might think they're close enough to winning to make the move. Maybe Manning would agree that the Colts are too bad to win a Super Bowl, and want to go to Baltimore. Maybe he has a secret fetish for teams with great defense.

As for Flacco... If this was going down, I'd probably want to trade him. Add some more speed to the offense. Although depending on the risks involved with Peyton, it might just be a good insurance policy to keep him around. He's still on his rookie contract, so it wouldn't be terribly expensive, I wouldn't imagine. I know this is pretty pie-in-the-sky, but it's not so outrageous. IF it happened, there'd be talking heads moaning about it, and there'd be talking heads saying, "I like it." I don't think it's a terrible deal for either team. Think it makes more sense for the Ravens than Carson Palmer does for the Raiders. I don't think you can ignore how many needs Indy has, and how that's going to affect how highly they prize draft picks. It'd be huge news, but it's not absurd. You never know what front offices are really thinking. Brett Favre didn't really want to go either, and that didn't work out too badly. Different situation of course, but the uncertainty about future play, combined with the opportunity to move on with an extremely talented young player are pretty comparable.

Matthew Jones
10-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Fun fact of the day: Derek Anderson has a higher career completion percentage than Joe Flacco does this year.