PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Draft

Pages : [1] 2 3

princefielder28
10-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I think it's time for us to start discussing players and positions that may be looked at in April

as of right now I would rate our top needs as such:

1. OLB - we've got nothing opposite of Clay Matthews
2. DE - Mike Neal has proven he can't stay healthy more than anything else and we need to cover ourselves if he continues that trend
3. S - we won't know the long term status of Nick Collins and Peprah isn't a long term solution back there
4. CB - this position is a tough one to figure out...Charles Woodson continues to play at a high level and Williams is a solid starter but Sam Shields hasn't been the player he was last year, Pat Lee/Jarrett Bush aven't changed, and Davon House is an unknown as a rookie

looks like we should be addressing the defense lots this year!!!!

princefielder28
10-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Scott came out with a new mock today and with the 32nd pick he gave the Packers Courtney Upshaw

I think that would be a wonderful selection

cvv84
10-25-2011, 03:31 PM
As of now my top 10 needs are:

1) DE

I thought we could get by with a rotation at RDE this year but that was with Mike Neal. Without him its clearly been a weak spot for us. Pickett will also be 33 years old and he hasn't been the same player this year.

2) OLB

Zombo is descent but hasn't been able to stay on the field. Walden is not starting material nor is Brad Jones.

3) S

Even if Nick Collins does return we've suffered season ending injuries to 1 of our starting safeties the past 2 seasons. Woodson is capable but we could develop someone for the long term.

4) QB

Matt Flynn will be a free agent and Grahm Harrell isn't anything special. Grab up another developmental prospect.

5) CB

I actually think Shields has been playing much better as of late, however Tramon has not and while Woodson has been solid he's clearly showing his age. I like Davon House but this could be the end for Pat Lee. Get some more bodies and let them compete.

6) OG

We have a bunch of tackles in Bulaga, Sherrod, and Newhouse but little depth at guard. Is T.J. Lang the future? Woudn't hurt to get a true guard in there for at the very least depth purposes.

7) ILB

D.J. Smith has made some big hits this year, although be it on special teams. With the 3-4 we need to keep a slew of LBs and we're thin at the position IMO.

8) OC

Scott Wells is a free agent and while its likely he'll return, he'll be 31 this year and while he likely has a few more solid years it wouldn't hurt to develop a successor.

9) RB

Will Ryan Grant be back? Now with Alex Green done for the season we can't really get a sense of how he'll fair in the NFL. Still though we're leaning on a tandum RB system so the more the better.

10) TE

Finley will be a free agent, Crabtree is a role player, and Quarless/Williams haven't exactally stood out. Ryan Taylor has been a good special teamer and could be worth developing. Getting more of an all around TE might be a good option too seeing we're carrying so many pass catchers.

princefielder28
10-25-2011, 06:14 PM
some guys i like at each position of need

DE :: Cam Johnson, Kendall Reyes

OLB :: Courtney Upshaw, Vinny Curry, Chase Thomas (Jr.)

CB :: Chase Minnifield, Casey Hayward

S :: Harrison Smith

ImBrotherCain
10-26-2011, 11:38 AM
As of now my top 10 needs are:
1) DE
2) OLB
3) S
4) QB
5) CB
6) OG
7) ILB
8) OC
9) RB
10) TE

I agree with most here that our top few needs are DE, OLB, S and CB.

DE and OLB are critical issues I think. Jenkins left and we can't seem to replicate the production or even half the production he had. OLB has been a issue for the last couple seasons. Without even the threat of a decent pass rush opposite Clay the Offense can just focus on blocking him. Though hopefully S and CB are just depth issues that can be solved in the middle rounds.

On the other hand I don't think QB should be addressed until the late rounds at earliest. Yes we need a capable back up in the (god forbid) event Rodgers goes down but I think we have needs to address first.

One thing I have been thinking about was if a premiere HB falls to us I think its a no brainer. I was thinking how I would love to see someone like Marcus Lattimore lining up in the backfield. Not that he can come out until 2013 but still.

Although we all know TT is going to do as he sees fit and I think we have little to complain about with how he has built this team. Yes he has had some big flops but all in all we won a Championship with him at the helm.

princefielder28
10-26-2011, 12:00 PM
drafting a running back high wouuld be a complete waste given our current roster, the system we run, and really the overall value of drafting a running back high

James Starks is a a budding stud at the position and as the team continues to feed him the ball, he'll only get better

We really don't run the ball much to begin with, really only to keep the defense honest or run down the clock, so why would we spend a first rounder at the position when we have huge needs elsewhere

The attraction of drafting a running back early has gone down and you can look at the Packers roster to prove why...Starks and Grant were no higher than 6th round picks and look at the production they've been able to provide in this league and other teams know and recognize the position's worth in terms of where picks should be invested on it

ImBrotherCain
10-26-2011, 12:35 PM
I know it is and I love Starks. I hope he continues to develop into a great RB for our system.

I guess I just have a man crush on Lattimore.

cvv84
10-26-2011, 01:20 PM
I have to agree with PF28. Starks is emerging as a more than capable starter for us and in our system we don't really need a feature RB.

I'd rather have 2-3 "James Starks" than rely on 1 guy to shoulder the load. If that one guy went down then you're stuck trying to find a replacement. What if Adrian Peterson went down? At least with us we have 2 guys who while not nearly as dominant, they're capable.

SuperPacker
10-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Needs

1) DE
2) OLB
3) ILB
4) S
5) CB
6) OG
7) NT

Should be a defensive draft!! Courtney Upshaw is one im looking at but if he keeps up the way hes playing he will be going higher than #32

CheeseKnuckles
11-18-2011, 09:52 PM
A guy that intrigues me is Bruce Irvin from WVU. Since Clay Matthews has came on the scene I try watching for guys with similar skills sets as him. From what I have seen from Irvin is he has an incredible motor, amazing bend around the corner (one of CM3 best attributes), and great speed. Problem is he is kind of light and not good against the run, but I feel weight could be added to his frame and he could be coached up to be better against the run.

Other than OLB I haven't really looked into many players in this coming draft. But I think defense needs to be a focus in this draft.

Coombser
11-24-2011, 01:31 PM
1) OLB - we have nothing outside of Clay Matthews

2) CB - Charles Woodson will be older than old and although he's playing relatively well - he's more and more playing as a third safety rather than a cover guy when we go to the nickel D.

3) DE - I still like Mike Neal but depth is essential.

4) OC - Scott Wells will be re-signed, but he's gonna be the wrong side of 30 and the experiements with Evan Dietrich-Smith and Nick McDonald have not brought any quality depth.

5) S - This could be higher need depending on the health of Nick Collins...Charlie Peprah's got a lot of flack this year some of it warranted - a lot of it not, but an upgrade could still be used.

6) QB - I trust McCarthy to find the right guy here - it's his forte - but Matt Flynn could be this year's Kevin Kolb.

cvv84
11-24-2011, 06:13 PM
1) OLB - we have nothing outside of Clay Matthews

2) CB - Charles Woodson will be older than old and although he's playing relatively well - he's more and more playing as a third safety rather than a cover guy when we go to the nickel D.

3) DE - I still like Mike Neal but depth is essential.

4) OC - Scott Wells will be re-signed, but he's gonna be the wrong side of 30 and the experiements with Evan Dietrich-Smith and Nick McDonald have not brought any quality depth.

5) S - This could be higher need depending on the health of Nick Collins...Charlie Peprah's got a lot of flack this year some of it warranted - a lot of it not, but an upgrade could still be used.

6) QB - I trust McCarthy to find the right guy here - it's his forte - but Matt Flynn could be this year's Kevin Kolb.

From who?? He's been what we expected and actually has surpassed my expectations from where he was at last year when called into action.

Coombser
11-25-2011, 09:50 AM
From who?? He's been what we expected and actually has surpassed my expectations from where he was at last year when called into action.

Reading various press I feel he's the scapegoat for the secondary's struggle - not a view I share.

Mr.Regular
12-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Id like to see DE addressed. We just aren't getting much passrush from the line. Not to mention Pickett is getting up there in age.
I also think CB is a need. Teams are always going to be throwing on us since we're usually ahead, and we desperately need some deeper depth. I can't believe there are times we still rely on Jarrett Bush out there.
And of course safety, depending on Nick Collins health, though I agree with you guys....Peprah isn't that bad.

OLB was not as big of a need in my eyes as others, but it still could be upgraded. Now with Walden getting in trouble, it definitely needs to be looked at.

Id go
1-DE
2-CB
3-OLB
4-S
5-QB

bigboiajhawk
12-07-2011, 02:00 AM
So it has been awhile, just been enjoying this Packers season, but I have come up with a little mock draft.

1) OLB, Melvin Ingram, USC

6'2" 272lbs - The guy is a beast, and if he could lose 10-15 pounds he would be more agile. The guy played all over the place for USC, including standing up and rushing.

F5dkwPHQJXk

2a) From Cleveland or Seattle for Matt Flynn ( I am probably being too optimistic here)

Johnthan Banks, Miss St., CB (Junior)
Tall, fast, willing tackler
JkQxygFtcfg

2b) DE/NT, Mike Martin, Michigan

I really would like to see the DL become a strength again. Martin played NT last season in a 3-4.

3) QB, Kirk Cousins, MSU

I took a QB here, because when we trade Flynn we only have Graham Harrell, and personally Harrell is no Flynn, so I would like to have a decent rookie to develop behind Arod.

4) Kevin Zeitler, OG, WI

Mauler, beast, probably not here, but I figure I would put an OL in here as I think we still need one more for depth. I honestly wouldn't mind if we took Brewster at center in the 1st round (that would only happen if we didnt resign Scott Wells).

5) Chris Gallipo, ILB, USC

I think as a 3-4 team you should always be drafting LBs, it looks like we did okay with DJ Smith, but a late round guy never hurts.

6) A safety

7) A TE or OLB that is a special teams demon.

TimmG6376
12-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Harrell elevated to active roster this week to take the spot vacated by the Quarless injury. McCarthy said he wanted to take 3 QBs into playoffs. Perhaps they assume Flynn is gone (most likely true) and want to get a good look at Harrell to see if they need to address backup QB in the offseason.

Hawk
12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Harrell elevated to active roster this week to take the spot vacated by the Quarless injury. McCarthy said he wanted to take 3 QBs into playoffs. Perhaps they assume Flynn is gone (most likely true) and want to get a good look at Harrell to see if they need to address backup QB in the offseason.

Definitely had to take a double take here...

hoekd0250
12-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Ok, I have been thinking about this a while but how do people feel about drafting montee ball in the second round. I love James Starks however the way he runs he takes a pounding, Ryan Grant is a shadow of his former self after the injury and Greene may not ever be as explosive after his injury. I know Ball had excellent blocking at wisconsin, but if you watch how he runs, he doesnt hold the ball way out there like some backs, and hes a hard nose one cut and north south type runner. The type of back the zone blocking scheme is made for. He also can catch the ball out of the backfield. He can also pass block as he did that a ton last year before he became the feature back. THis isnt just a homer pick, watch the guy run, he doesnt do one thing spectacular but doest everything just right with perfect technique and balance.

princefielder28
12-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Why spend a high pick on a running back??? We don't run the football! James Starks is young and a very capable back in our offense...Green did suffer his injury and he projects to be a 3rd down back if he can regain full strength...we have no pass rush opposite of Clay, generate no pressure with our down linemen (need a DE), could use depth at safety, and Lang is easily replaceable at LG...let's focus on those positions before RB

TimmG6376
12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Why spend a high pick on a running back??? We don't run the football! James Starks is young and a very capable back in our offense...Green did suffer his injury and he projects to be a 3rd down back if he can regain full strength...we have no pass rush opposite of Clay, generate no pressure with our down linemen (need a DE), could use depth at safety, and Lang is easily replaceable at LG...let's focus on those positions before RB

Yeah, I love Montee and I think despite people's reservations about UW running backs he is going to be productive in the NFL, but other needs are too great. If he for some reason can be gotten later I'd love to see him in Green and Gold but I don't think it is in the cards. They like what they saw from Green before injury and it sounds like they are encouraged by what Saine is showing. McCarthy just doesn't run the ball enough to invest an early pick in a RB. He wants the running game to be effective enough to force defenses to react to play action, that is about it.

Mr.Regular
12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
RB is not a concern at all for me. It's such a minor aspect of our offense, which oh BTW is the best offense in the NFL. Plus Starks is pretty damn good when healthy, Saine has potential, and we drafted Green in round 3. Other than taking a late round pick, or we see crazy value drop into our laps (ala Cobb), I don't see us looking that way.

J-Mike88
12-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I would draft 3 OLBers, 2 DL, and whatever else the other 4 or 5 picks, fine by me.
And remember there will be 1-3 undrafted free agents that have a chance.

bigboiajhawk
12-10-2011, 03:36 PM
I would draft 3 OLBers, 2 DL, and whatever else the other 4 or 5 picks, fine by me.
And remember there will be 1-3 undrafted free agents that have a chance.

I think we need one DL, don't really care if it is early round guy or late round guy. The big if is Mike Neal. If he stays healthy the rest of this season, I think we will see another 7th round DE. Remember we will have Lawrence Guy as well coming off his "concussions"; I personally just think this was a "redshirt" year for him as he needs to learn the plays. Also, CJ Wilson will be in Year 3, and I still think he has a ton of ability.

As for OLB - We need to find the guy that can also command a double team. So'oto will have a full off season to develop, but you cannot rely on him to be a player. Walden is okay, although he does have a lot of QB pressures this year, so maybe another off season with the Packers he can turn it up. At the start of the season Desmond Bishop said he looked Jacked, so maybe he will continue his off season program and be in even better shape.

I really think we should draft 3 DB's: 2 corners and 1 safety. I think this is dependent on what happens with Nick Collins. If he is healthy and 100% cleared to play, then I think we will draft a safety in the middle rounds. If he is not, we could end up drafting one in the first 2 rounds. I think we do need to draft more CB's, Jarrett Bush is just a special teams demon, but not a legitimate corner in the NFL. I personally don't think House is going to amount to anything; you can usually tell, in the rookie year, the guys that have potential to be players, and I have not heard or seen anything that would tell me that House is going to do anything in the NFL. Lee is another guy similar to House, fast, but has never shown the ability to be a legit NFL corner.

J-Mike88
12-19-2011, 01:59 PM
I think we need one DL, don't really care if it is early round guy or late round guy. The big if is Mike Neal. If he stays healthy the rest of this season, I think we will see another 7th round DE. Remember we will have Lawrence Guy as well coming off his "concussions".
Mike Neal seems to suck. Guy, I agree, has some potential.

MY MOCK

1. Green Bay - Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall
http://www.wvgazette.com/mediafiles/thumbs/275/314.64530892449/9curry_I101008220918.jpg

2. Green Bay - Billy Winn, DE, Boise State
http://nflsfuture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/billy-winn.jpg

3. Green Bay - Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska
http://www.opposingviews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/300x250/featured_image/JaredCrick.jpg

4. Green Bay – Mister Cobble, NT, Kentucky
http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2011/10/22/18/18/1mkdKP.St.79.jpg

4. GB – comp* – Brandon Lindsey, OLB, Pitt
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201009/20100917pitt_330.jpg

4. GB – comp* – Shayne Skov, OLB, Stanford
http://marinmedia.cache.photocore.us/image/thumb/250-250/4246258.jpg

5. Green Bay – Aaron Henry, FS, Wisconsin
http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/aaron-henry-9_6_11.jpg

6. Green Bay – J.B. Shugarts, OT, Ohio State
http://www.brutusreport.com/Portals/0/images/%5BProvider%5D/%5BFolderFilePath%5D/WLW/OhioStateSpringCampKickScrimmage_E5FB/JB%20Shugarts_2.jpg

7. Green Bay –Trevor Robinson, OG, Notre Dame
http://www.uhnd.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/trevor-robinson.jpg

SuperPacker
12-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Like the first 3 picks! Crick would be a steal in the 3rd round but dont know i he would fall that far. Dont see us taking 3 OLBs either.

CheeseKnuckles
12-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Just throwing out a few names let me know if you agree with any as good fits in GB. ( These are mostly guys I have tried to pay attn to throughout the season )

OT Riley Reiff
CB Chase Minnifield
TE Coby Fleener
CB Casey Hayward
DE Jared Crick
CB Jonathon Banks
DE Devon Still
OG David DeCastro
DE Derek Wolfe
RB Trent Richardson
OLB Ronnel Lewis
RB Lamar Miller
OLB Courtney Upshaw
OLB Brandon Lindsay
OLB Nick Perry
OLB Shea Mclellin
OLB Whitney Mercilus
FS TJ McDonald
SS Ray Ray Armstrong

ImBrotherCain
12-19-2011, 08:39 PM
So I was just thinking about this watching MNF. Do you think that if the Steelers passed on Hayward we would have taken him?

Try to think of this like it was last April; not like today knowing the extensive injuries we have suffered on the OLine.

princefielder28
12-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Sherrod would've still been taken...the team showed throughout the draft that they had fully trusted Mike Neal to be a player at DE

TimmG6376
12-20-2011, 06:48 PM
If anything had Heyward been available there might have been more interest in TT's attempts to trade back into the top of round 2.

Can't help but see all these young pass rushers that have come out of this draft and wonder what might have been though.

TimmG6376
12-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Some intriguing prospects in tonight's Las Vegas Bowl

Billy Winn
Shea McClellin
Doug Martin

I'll be watching Burfict as well, but I don't see him having a chance of becoming a Packer.

SuperPacker
12-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Some intriguing prospects in tonight's Las Vegas Bowl

Billy Winn
Shea McClellin
Doug Martin

I'll be watching Burfict as well, but I don't see him having a chance of becoming a Packer.

Billy Winn could be one we look at! Not sure if hes a first rounder though and not sure if he would be at 64 (assuming we win the superbowl!)

TimmG6376
12-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Mock Drafts at this stage are fun, but until after the Senior Bowl and Combine(s) you won't really have a good idea on a lot of guys draft grades. Obviously excluding the top 10 locks like Luck, Kalil, etc.

To illustrate you can probably go back to this time last year and many Mocks had the Packers taking Von Miller. We all know how that turned out.

SuperPacker
12-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Mock Drafts at this stage are fun, but until after the Senior Bowl and Combine(s) you won't really have a good idea on a lot of guys draft grades. Obviously excluding the top 10 locks like Luck, Kalil, etc.

To illustrate you can probably go back to this time last year and many Mocks had the Packers taking Von Miller. We all know how that turned out.

The same is happening with Courtney Upshaw! SW has him going to us at 32 but I dont see him falling any further than 15. I did say the same for daquan bowers last year though :D

J-Mike88
12-22-2011, 07:45 PM

To illustrate you can probably go back to this time last year and many Mocks had the Packers taking Von Miller. We all know how that turned out.I REMEMBER those too!
Not just mocks here, but from McShay, Kiper, Mayock, etc.

But we were projected to pick close to 20 not 32, and then Von blew up.
Too bad we couldn't have taken him the year before.

What about Alden Smith? When did that guy get picked?
We need to hit on another pass rush guy. Clay will get worn down and become ineffective without some help.

TimmG6376
12-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Aldon went #7.

There are some intriguing guys this year:
Jarvis Jones (word is he is staying at UGA though)
Curry
Irvin
Ingram
Branch
Jenkins

Irvin is guy I was lukewarm on but am warming up to. Problem is he is probably the kind of guy that is going to blow up the combine and put himself out of our reach.

Want to see McClellin tonight because I've seen him listed as an underrated OLB prospect in a couple of places.

SuperPacker
12-23-2011, 03:49 AM
I cant even begin to imagine how good this team would be if we had a pass rush! The defense would go back to the Superbowl days where they averaged 15 points a game and we would have the best offense in the game! That would be an unstoppable team!

TimmG6376
12-23-2011, 12:41 PM
As strong as the offense is all they really need is middle of the road defense. I'd love to see a top 5 defense each year like they were last year, but at this point I'd settle for being in the top half of NFL defenses.

-----------------
I was able to see some good things from McClellin last night, however, ASU was so over-matched I don't know how much it says about him. They do move him a round a lot which shows versatility and he definitely has a motor. He had one Clay-esque sack on a stunt in which he started outside and looped inside and got a clean hit. A couple of times he was able to get pressure by just bull-rushing his blocker back into the pocket.

Billy Winn flashed as well, but again this was Boise St (50-3) over the last 4 years vs ASU (6-7).

J-Mike88
12-23-2011, 01:01 PM
I cant even begin to imagine how good this team would be if we had a pass rush! The defense would go back to the Superbowl days where they averaged 15 points a game and we would have the best offense in the game! That would be an unstoppable team!
That's very simplistic!
But I believe very true.

Ted should be able to improve this one particular aspect in the off-season.
We need guys like Walden and Zombo to just be backups. To someone who can get pressure consistently against a one-on-one block out wide.

CheeseKnuckles
12-23-2011, 03:18 PM
McClellin is a beast.

CheeseKnuckles
12-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Ronnell Lewis is also a beast.

Check out his highlight video on youtube.

Coombser
01-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Gimme Brandon Jenkins over Lewis...like McClellin late 2nd-3rd round

princefielder28
01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Gimme Brandon Jenkins over Lewis...like McClellin late 2nd-3rd round

Jenkins is going back to school

CheeseKnuckles
01-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Another guy on my radar is Bruce Irvin, but he sort of scares me. He would need to gain some weight and improve on his run defense. Not sure what others think of him.

TimmG6376
01-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Another guy on my radar is Bruce Irvin, but he sort of scares me. He would need to gain some weight and improve on his run defense. Not sure what others think of him.

I think he is going to do well at the Senior Bowl & combine, which might take him out of our range. He may have some question marks but guys that can get after the passer are at a premium. Being able to sack the QB trumps a lot of needs.

princefielder28
01-12-2012, 12:10 PM

yeah it would be nice if Irvin was more physically imposing but certainly someone we'd have to entertain taking at the bottom of round two if available...Shea McClellin is one guy I see TT being interested in a great deal...not sure if he'll boost his stock to the first round level; I feel he'd be worth it though (have him ranked as the 27th best prospect)

SuperPacker
01-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Im not sure how hard we will look into QB but saying as Flynn will be gone i think we should consider looking at Brandon Weedan and Russell Wilson. These are #4 and #5 on my QB rankings but i think both will go later than they should because of age and size issues.

J-Mike88
01-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Pass rush
Pass rush
Pass rush

That's the one area we must improve.

Nothing else is going to be urgent as we, hopefully, try to become the first team in NFL history to 3-Peat the Super Bowl.

TimmG6376
01-12-2012, 03:47 PM
QB will probably be addressed at some point. Like it or not Harrell is going to come in as the front runner to be the backup QB.

Wilson seems to have a limited ceiling but could be a career backup kind of guy. Weedan is a little old for a developmental QB. If they think he'll adjust quickly maybe.

As a developmental guy I think someone like Austin Davis in the later rounds would be a guy McCarthy could develop into something.

SuperPacker
01-12-2012, 04:08 PM
QB will probably be addressed at some point. Like it or not Harrell is going to come in as the front runner to be the backup QB.

Wilson seems to have a limited ceiling but could be a career backup kind of guy. Weedan is a little old for a developmental QB. If they think he'll adjust quickly maybe.

As a developmental guy I think someone like Austin Davis in the later rounds would be a guy McCarthy could develop into something.

Another guy i forgot to mention was Ryan Lindley. I really like his arm strength and i think Rodgers, Clements and Philbin could make him become a good player.

Im also interested in McCarron the Alabama QB just because his story sounds a lot like Matt Flynn. Dont know if hes coming out though.

SuperPacker
01-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Pass rush
Pass rush
Pass rush

That's the one area we must improve.

Nothing else is going to be urgent as we, hopefully, try to become the first team in NFL history to 3-Peat the Super Bowl.

Yeah in my ideal world we would trade up to get Courtney Upshaw and then take Crick with out next pick! That would greatly improve the run and pass defense

princefielder28
01-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Another guy i forgot to mention was Ryan Lindley. I really like his arm strength and i think Rodgers, Clements and Philbin could make him become a good player.

Im also interested in McCarron the Alabama QB just because his story sounds a lot like Matt Flynn. Dont know if hes coming out though.

I like Lindley as a developmental opyion as well

McCarron was a sophomore this year

J-Mike88
01-12-2012, 08:52 PM
What did you think of Jabbal Sheard from Pitt last year?
He went 5 picks after Sherrod, and the OLB has looked like a blossoming star this year, with close to 10 sacks.

We need to find a guy like him, Dumervil, Woodley, Brooks Reed, just someone else who is relentless like Matthews is, but 10 pounds bigger.

I wish Kevin Greene could clone himself, to age 24.

princefielder28
01-12-2012, 08:54 PM
I liked Sheard as a prospect but he wasn't someone I was overly excited about

I had him rated as the #8 DE

1. Cameron Jordan :: California
2. JJ Watt :: Wisconsin*
3. Ryan Kerrigan :: Purdue
4. Robert Quinn :: North Carolina*
5. Adrian Clayborn :: Iowa
6. Cameron Heyward :: Ohio State
7. Christian Ballard :: Iowa
8. Jabaal Sheard :: Pittsburgh

TimmG6376
01-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Massaquoi has declared. Another one to keep an eye on. Though I think if Irvin can get up to 250-ish I like him more.

SuperPacker
01-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Massaquoi has declared. Another one to keep an eye on. Though I think if Irvin can get up to 250-ish I like him more.

I love Massaquoi! His motor is great and his bull rush seems to be unstoppable at times.The only issues are that he plays in the Sun Belt division and that he only got 6 sacks but when you take into account he was getting double teamed quite a lot and his team sucked then i think you can forget about those.

I would be more than happy if we got him in the first round or even if we traded up get to him.

princefielder28
01-14-2012, 02:57 PM
I love Massaquoi! His motor is great and his bull rush seems to be unstoppable at times.The only issues are that he plays in the Sun Belt division and that he only got 6 sacks but when you take into account he was getting double teamed quite a lot and his team sucked then i think you can forget about those.

I would be more than happy if we got him in the first round or even if we traded up get to him.

Massaquoi will not be a first round pick so don't have to worry about that

his drop in production will be worrysome for teams and he's not the most physically imposing player to begin with, could certainly beef up

SuperPacker
01-14-2012, 04:23 PM

his drop in production will be worrysome for teams and he's not the most physically imposing player to begin with, could certainly beef up

I love him as a player! Would he still be there at 64?

princefielder28
01-14-2012, 04:30 PM
I love him as a player! Would he still be there at 64?

I would side on it more likely that he is than he isn't...I feel the 6 sacks against lower competition will be very troublesome for teams

SuperPacker
01-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I would side on it more likely that he is than he isn't...I feel the 6 sacks against lower competition will be very troublesome for teams

I'd love it if we took him then. Think he could be a steal and a massive upgrade over everything we have atm.

princefielder28
01-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Wade Philips' successful defenses (Chris Canty in Dallas and JJ Watt in Houston) show it and yesterday for the Niners (Justin Smith) how important having an end in the 3-4 defense who can create havoc...i'm sure the front office/coaching staff expected Mike Neal to be that guy but we all know that hasn't been the case and will be a position that needs to be addressed...at this moment all we have is space eaters on our front

SuperPacker
01-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Wade Philips' successful defenses (Chris Canty in Dallas and JJ Watt in Houston) show it and yesterday for the Niners (Justin Smith) how important having an end in the 3-4 defense who can create havoc...i'm sure the front office/coaching staff expected Mike Neal to be that guy but we all know that hasn't been the case and will be a position that needs to be addressed...at this moment all we have is space eaters on our front

Devon Still
Fletcher Cox
Michael Brockers
Brandon Thompson
Jerel Worthy
Jared Crick
Billy Winn

Either way we NEED to get two players to help the pass rush with our first two picks!

J-Mike88
01-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Exactly..... which is why Jenkins was so good. Those kinda guys are pretty hard to find.

I like Worthy from MSU.

princefielder28
01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Brandon Thompson and Jerel Worthy are not guys I would classify as penetrators, more space eaters like we already have...add Derek Wolfe to any list for ends

TimmG6376
01-15-2012, 09:56 PM

I've read that he's pretty much maxed-out at 250 though. Doesn't really have the frame to add much more weight. Not sure how accurate that info is.

BloodBrother
01-16-2012, 06:05 AM

Exactly this. Wynn/Wilson just didn't cut it this year...and Mike Neal was injured and didn't show much when he returned. Who knows about him

I really hope Nick can return playing...because if he can then the only problem this D has is at RDE and ROLB. They need to address one of these at least during the draft/FA

I know Ted doesn't dabble into FA much but with this team so close to winning another SB he may need to actually add a key FA or 2. This is a draft/develop team but they already have the core pieces in place. Now it's time to add a piece or 2 from FA IMO

SuperPacker
01-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Exactly this. Wynn/Wilson just didn't cut it this year...and Mike Neal was injured and didn't show much when he returned. Who knows about him

I really hope Nick can return playing...because if he can then the only problem this D has is at RDE and ROLB. They need to address one of these at least during the draft/FA

I know Ted doesn't dabble into FA much but with this team so close to winning another SB he may need to actually add a key FA or 2. This is a draft/develop team but they already have the core pieces in place. Now it's time to add a piece or 2 from FA IMO

Dont get your hopes up. How many time have we said "maybe this year wie'll get a free agent." It never happens though.

RyanBraun8
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
It's pretty clear we need a Edward, Vinson, McKenzie type draft this year which means just overload at DE and ROLB. Or the other option is having an aggressive Raji, Matthews type draft where they move up instead of sit back. That is assuming Collins is able to come back. Most of our secondary issues where due to zero pass rush all season and that Collins who does all the calls and is the QB of the secondary was gone.

If Nick is back we are a Cullen Jenkins type DE and a half way decent ROLB away from being elite on D again. Our run game is still strong. We had most of our run game issues when Pickett, Bishop, Hawk were out. Wynn, Wilson, Neal offered our team nothing this season. Jones/Walden/Zombo/ETC offer little. They are the achilles heel of our defense.

SuperPacker
01-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Which good OLB and DT free agents are out there? I know we wont sign any but it would be nice to know who we're missing out on.

RyanBraun8
01-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Which good OLB and DT free agents are out there? I know we wont sign any but it would be nice to know who we're missing out on.

OLB's
Robert Mathis
Cliff Avril
Mario Williams (thnk thats where Wade had him)
John Abraham
Anthony Spencer
Jarrett Johnson

DE
Cailis Campbell
Shaun Ellis
Tommie Harris i think

Those are some

TimmG6376
01-16-2012, 08:19 PM
OLB's
Robert Mathis hasn't played LB to my knowledge, but has production
Cliff Avril eh not interested
Mario Williams (thnk thats where Wade had him) he was playing in the Bruce Smith role technically OLB but not much coverage responsibilities.
John Abraham no thanks
Anthony Spencer not much of an upgrade IMO
Jarrett Johnson Interesting. Not flashy but I know Ravens fans like him.

DE
Cailis Campbell likely to be franchised
Shaun Ellis maybe if he could be gotten cheap as a bridge to a younger draftee
Tommie Harris i think didn't realize he's still only 28. How he do as a 5T this year?

Those are some

My thoughts

CheeseKnuckles
01-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Hey guys my first attempt at a 5 round Packers draft. I don't have enough knowledge yet on players to do a full mock, but here it is. Before you get overly critical or anything though I am mainly doing this based what I consider to be our needs and players I think would fit well in our system.

Round 1 - Nick Perry OLB, USC

Perry finished his season of strong and is said to have great athleticism with a super fast jump off the snap. Plus USC has obviosly been good to us with another OLB so why not.

Alternate pick: Melvin Ingram OLB, South Carolina

Round 2 - Jared Crick DE, Nebraska

Not completely sure Crick will still be around when we get to pick in the 2nd, but I never though Randall Cobb would be available at #64. So with some Luck Crick falls to them and they get an immediate upgrade at DE.

Alternate Pick - Brandon Thompson DE, Clemson

Round 3 - Trumaine Johnson CB, Montana

From what I have read Johnson dominated his opponents, but not sure about the talent level he was playing. At 6'2 205 he is said to be extremely athletic and could be a playermaker for our defense.

Alternate pick - Casey Hayward CB, Vanderbilt

Round 4 - Derek Wolfe DE, Cincinnati

We obviously need an influx of talent at the DE postion. I watched Cincinnati's bowl game and specifically watched Wolfe throughout the game. From what I noticed he constantly got a good push and was also double teamed a bunch. If he is still available here, I think he would do well at DE.

Alternate pick - Shea McCellin OLB, Boise State

Round 5 - Ladarius Green TE, Louisiana-Lafayette

I've only heard rumblings of this guy, but at 6'6 230 he could be another matchup nightmare. Add that to the fact that I LITERALLY cannot stand Stone Hands Finley and it makes for an intriguing pick for me.

Alternate pick - George IIoka FS, Boise State

There you have it. Again this is more based on who I think would fill needs of our team. Let me know what you all think!

SuperPacker
01-17-2012, 01:51 PM

Perry finished his season of strong and is said to have great athleticism with a super fast jump off the snap. Plus USC has obviosly been good to us with another OLB so why not.

Would love for this to happen! I really, really like Melvin Ingram and Nick Perry is an athletic freak so either would be great in the 1st. I highly doubt both are there though. Perry will have an Aldon Smith esque rise up the draft and Ingram is too much of a playmaker tonot go earlier

Not completely sure Crick will still be around when we get to pick in the 2nd, but I never though Randall Cobb would be available at #64. So with some Luck Crick falls to them and they get an immediate upgrade at DE.

This would again be best case scenario! Crick is talented enough to go 1st round so he would be a steal here. Could come in for Pickett on passing downs and eventually over take him as the starter.

Round 3 - Trumaine Johnson, Montana

From what I have read Johnson dominated his opponents, but not sure about the talent level he was playing. At 6'2 205 he is said to be extremely athletic and could be a playermaker for our defense.

Alternate pick - Casey Hayward

Yep, i like the defense, defense, defense strategy. Getting a OLB, DE then CB would turn the defense around.

We obviously need an influx of talent at the DE postion. I watched Cincinnati's bowl game and specifically watched Wolfe throughout the game. From what I noticed he constantly got a good push and was also double teamed a bunch. If he is still available here, I think he would do well at DE.

More OLB's, love it! We could then get rid of Erik Walden and maybe Frank Zombo. Both havent cut it so changes are needed.

I've only heard rumblings of this guy, but at 6'6 230 he could be another matchup nightmare. Add that to the fact that I LITERALLY cannot stand Stone Hands Finley and it makes for an intriguing pick for me.

If we dont sign Finley on then would like the Green pick but if we do then i hate it! Fine with Iloka because we dont know about Collins.

Overall a great draft, this is real best case scenario though so i dont know how lucky we'll be in April.

CheeseKnuckles
01-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Yeah this is all best case scenario and more a MOCK draft of who I like. Either way we need to draft defense heavy and we have to look for play-makers in the 1st three rounds.

bigboiajhawk
01-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Hey guys my first attempt at a 5 round Packers draft. I don't have enough knowledge yet on players to do a full mock, but here it is. Before you get overly critical or anything though I am mainly doing this based what I consider to be our needs and players I think would fit well in our system.

My thoughts: I like Nick Perry a lot, maybe even more than Ingram who probably gets drafted earlier than Perry. I think my only question mark would be how he is in coverage.

My Thoughts: Not a fan of Crick at all, give me Mike Martin from Michigan or Derek Wolfe instead.

Round 3 - Trumaine Johnson CB, Montana

Alternate pick - Casey Hayward CB, Vanderbilt

My thoughts: Drafting a corner this year has to be a priority. A) We saw absolutely nothing from House. However, he might develop a ton this offseason. B) Even though Bush "improved", he still is not good in coverage, do a double move on him and he gets burned. C) Woodson is getting older, and who knows how his body will hold. D) Pat Lee has done nothing since he was drafted.

My Thoughts: I like Derek Wolfe, but I think he is a 2nd/3rd rounder. He kind of reminds me of JJ Watt in terms of the impact he had on his team. If he was here at Round 4, I wouldn't even blink.

My thoughts: You are being a tad harsh on J-Mike. With that said, I really don't like what I have seen from DJ Williams (He seems soft to me). However, DJ Williams didn't have an offseason, so I guess I should give him some time. Don't mind drafting a TE as someone said earlier, Quarless might not play next season.

There you have it. Again this is more based on who I think would fill needs of our team. Let me know what you all think!

Good mock draft, hits a lot of needs.

J-Mike88
01-21-2012, 03:35 PM
I love Crick. He's not Justin Smith/JJ Watts.
But he's in that mold, if healthy and motivated.

I Am Rodgers
01-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Hey all. New to this site but not the draft. I'm really hoping Upshaw has a so so combine and it drops him enough so that we can get him. I think his game will be perfect opposite Clay. Sadly I don't think TT puts the same premium on that ROLB spot like most of us do.

I Am Rodgers
01-23-2012, 08:44 PM
woops. Double post. Thats what i get for posting on a tablet.

SuperPacker
01-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey all. New to this site but not the draft. I'm really hoping Upshaw has a so so combine and it drops him enough so that we can get him. I think his game will be perfect opposite Clay. Sadly I don't think TT puts the same premium on that ROLB spot like most of us do.

Welcome, me too! I really like Upshaw and think he would be a huge upgrade over any of the other guys.

TimmG6376
01-24-2012, 11:53 AM

I think you are right. As evidenced by the fact that they've had a bunch of JAGs at the position for 3 years now. Hopefully, he saw enough this season to change his mind though. Not being able to get to the QB is crippling Capers' scheme.

princefielder28
01-24-2012, 11:59 AM
I think you are right. As evidenced by the fact that they've had a bunch of JAGs at the position for 3 years now. Hopefully, he saw enough this season to change his mind though. Not being able to get to the QB is crippling Capers' scheme.

Not being able to get after the QB is crippling for any defense in any scheme...if TT picks guys like Ricky Elmore (who clearly was an undersized even front end) I will be so pissed

Nimmy
01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
I haven't been here for a couple years, but MAN do I want Fletcher Cox at #28. I'm developing a very unhealthy obsession with us drafting him, but everything I read suggests he's just the perfect player. I think there are linebackers we can be happy with in later rounds.

I Am Rodgers
01-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I haven't been here for a couple years, but MAN do I want Fletcher Cox at #28. I'm developing a very unhealthy obsession with us drafting him, but everything I read suggests he's just the perfect player. I think there are linebackers we can be happy with in later rounds.

I really like Fletch too, but he needs to work on some things. He can't hold his own vs double teams and that spin move needs to be deleted from his memory. Once he starts a spin move like that on the NFL level, he'll be on his butt.

Upshaw is supposedly doing really well down in Mobile. Wish I was there.

Nimmy
01-24-2012, 08:36 PM
I really like Fletch too, but he needs to work on some things. He can't hold his own vs double teams and that spin move needs to be deleted from his memory. Once he starts a spin move like that on the NFL level, he'll be on his butt.

Upshaw is supposedly doing really well down in Mobile. Wish I was there.

I read on another forum that Upshaw's entourage this week is like 10 country fed Alabaman white boys from his hometown. Not sure how I feel about that.

J-Mike88
01-24-2012, 09:06 PM
I read on another forum that Upshaw's entourage this week is like 10 country fed Alabaman white boys from his hometown. Not sure how I feel about that.
It could be worse.
Have you seen Pac Man's entourage?

DE-OLB-OLB-DE.... not sure what order, but we need some serious reinforcements, upgrades.

I'll take the pipe dream of Super Mario, but let's draft a handful of these guys.

Any 6-7, 265 pound tight ends out there like Gronk?
Guys that huge are uncoverable by any one person as the space and reach of him is a half of foot extra on all sides.

PackerFan20
01-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Any 6-7, 265 pound tight ends out there like Gronk?
Guys that huge are uncoverable by any one person as the space and reach of him is a half of foot extra on all sides.

Does it really matter? We've had Finley for a few years now, and they still haven't figured out how to take advantage of him. In this offense, I wonder if a TE could ever become the focal point. Finley had one great game and a couple other decent games this year, but was hardly noticeable in the others. We know he has all the talent in the world, but he's either not being utilized correctly, Rodgers isn't looking his way, or he's just not trying hard enough. I'd lean a little towards the last one considering all the drops he had - that's a mental problem, not a utilization problem.

bigboiajhawk
01-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Okay, here is what I would like to see in the 1st 3 rounds:

1st) Lamar Miller, RB, Tha U - His burst is unbelievable and we can solidify this position for the next 6 or 7 years.

2nd) Mike Martin/Derek Wolfe, DE, Michigan and Cincy - These guys have the ability to be what Mike Neal has yet to become, not saying that Mike Neal wont, but it would be nice to have a back up plan in case Neal doesn't work out, and when Pickett finally decides to retire.

or

2nd) Vinny Curry, Ronnell Lewis, or Chandler Jones, OLB - All of these guys I think could be 3-4 OLB's, with maybe the exception of Chandler Jones, I just threw him in this lump of 2nd rounders.

3rd) Any corner available including Jamel Flemming for Oklahoma, Josh Norman from Costal Carolina, Donnie Flecter from Boston College, and Trumaine Johnson from Montana. The Packers need to solidify the backups and have some talent for the future. I am really hoping House has a great offseason and will become a player, but I worry when a guy doesn't play at all his rookie year.

One thing I am sure you all noticed was I didn't draft an OLB or DE in the 1st round. I am just not sure if the guys we are looking for will be there when we are drafting and I don't see much of a difference between Devon Still/Jerel Worthy and Mike Martin/Derek Wolfe. Whitney Mercilus would easily be a guy that I would draft, but I really have my doubts about him being there when we select in the 1st round. Same for Nick Perry. If any of those guys are available then sure we should probably draft one of them. However, if either one of those guys are not available I view Lamar Miller as a far superior player to any one else considered with a late 1st/early 2nd round grade.

All I know is that Vic So'oto has no problem getting pressure on the QB, he has shown in his extremely limited time in games that he can get to the QB, but he just has no experience in coverage. Sounds like any guy that we draft this year to become an OLB. I do think we need help on the DL. Mike Neal hasn't proved he can stay healthy, and even if he does, we need solid backups in case Raji or Pickett go down with an injury. I really like CJ Wilson, hopefully he can benefit from a true offseason, then maybe we don't need to draft a DE so early. Also, we will get Lawrence Guy back from his redshirt year so even another reason not to draft a DE high in the draft. Still, there are too many question marks regarding the backups/Mike Neal that we have for the DL.

SuperPacker
01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
I really, really, really, really, really hate the Lamar Miller pick. Not only do i think he's massively overrated but its not even a need. I'd go crazy if we drafted Miller.

TimmG6376
01-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Okay, here is what I would like to see in the 1st 3 rounds:

1st) Lamar Miller, RB, Tha U - His burst is unbelievable and we can solidify this position for the next 6 or 7 years.

2nd) Mike Martin/Derek Wolfe, DE, Michigan and Cincy - These guys have the ability to be what Mike Neal has yet to become, not saying that Mike Neal wont, but it would be nice to have a back up plan in case Neal doesn't work out, and when Pickett finally decides to retire.

or

2nd) Vinny Curry, Ronnell Lewis, or Chandler Jones, OLB - All of these guys I think could be 3-4 OLB's, with maybe the exception of Chandler Jones, I just threw him in this lump of 2nd rounders.

3rd) Any corner available including Jamel Flemming for Oklahoma, Josh Norman from Costal Carolina, Donnie Flecter from Boston College, and Trumaine Johnson from Montana. The Packers need to solidify the backups and have some talent for the future. I am really hoping House has a great offseason and will become a player, but I worry when a guy doesn't play at all his rookie year.

One thing I am sure you all noticed was I didn't draft an OLB or DE in the 1st round. I am just not sure if the guys we are looking for will be there when we are drafting and I don't see much of a difference between Devon Still/Jerel Worthy and Mike Martin/Derek Wolfe. Whitney Mercilus would easily be a guy that I would draft, but I really have my doubts about him being there when we select in the 1st round. Same for Nick Perry. If any of those guys are available then sure we should probably draft one of them. However, if either one of those guys are not available I view Lamar Miller as a far superior player to any one else considered with a late 1st/early 2nd round grade.

All I know is that Vic So'oto has no problem getting pressure on the QB, he has shown in his extremely limited time in games that he can get to the QB, but he just has no experience in coverage. Sounds like any guy that we draft this year to become an OLB. I do think we need help on the DL. Mike Neal hasn't proved he can stay healthy, and even if he does, we need solid backups in case Raji or Pickett go down with an injury. I really like CJ Wilson, hopefully he can benefit from a true offseason, then maybe we don't need to draft a DE so early. Also, we will get Lawrence Guy back from his redshirt year so even another reason not to draft a DE high in the draft. Still, there are too many question marks regarding the backups/Mike Neal that we have for the DL.

My concern there is that it is just more of the same thing they've been trying for three years. Take some UDFA and try to coach him up. I have hopes for So'oto, but there is a reason that he was an UDFA and guys like Reed, Sheard, Acho, Moch, Houston, etc., were taken in the early rounds. Perhaps in a season or two So'oto does develop, but windows in the NFL are brief and they need to turn this defense around quickly. And I know mistakes are made by scouts all the time as evidenced by Harrison and others like him, but I'm tired of searching for that diamond in the rough.

J-Mike88
01-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I really, really, really, really, really hate the Lamar Miller pick.
Agreed.

Number one, and this is enough: RB's don't lead anyone anywhere these days.

Ladanian Tomlinson
Adrian Peterson

They've been clearly the most dominant RBs of the past decade+.
None has sniffed a ring, never even advancing past the conference title games.

Plus nowadays it's a passing league, and RBs can't last enough to carry teams. Injuries are too prevalent to RBs now. They aren't worth a #1 pick.

The Saints really regret trading up to take Mark Ingram now. It was Darren Sproles outta the backfield as a receiver that spiced up their offense (plus a TE).... Ingram was worthless. He was no difference-maker. They thought he was.... then we stuffed him to end week 1.

No RB in the first 3 rounds please.
Defense, defense, defense, defense.
Our offense is loaded enough that we have to let go of a still good, and heart of our team, Donald Driver.

bigboiajhawk
01-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Okay Okay, after looking at the draft history of late 1st round RB's, the list isn't very promising, thus,Lamar Miller probably isn't the greatest pick, but there is a higher chance that a top tier OLB will not be there, unless we trade up.

I really hope Derek Wolfe tests very very well at the Combine, and we just make him our 1st round pick, that is if no OLB's are there.

CheeseKnuckles
01-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Each week I seem to change my mind of who I would like us to draft. As of right now I would like our first 4 rounds to go like this:

Rd 1. Nick Perry OLB USC
Rd 2. Derek Wolfe DE Cinncinati
Rd 3. Donnie Fletcher Boston College
Rd 4. Winston Guy Jr. Kentucky

SuperPacker
01-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Each week I seem to change my mind of who I would like us to draft. As of right now I would like our first 4 rounds to go like this:

Rd 1. Nick Perry OLB USC
Rd 2. Derek Wolfe DE Cinncinati
Rd 3. Donnie Fletcher Boston College
Rd 4. Winston Guy Jr. Kentucky

We'd be very lucky to get Nick Perry at #28! The guy is an athletic freak who has huge upside. Im predicting he goes top 15.

CheeseKnuckles
01-26-2012, 04:12 PM
We'd be very lucky to get Nick Perry at #28! The guy is an athletic freak who has huge upside. Im predicting he goes top 15.

One can hope though!

I Am Rodgers
01-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Okay Okay, after looking at the draft history of late 1st round RB's, the list isn't very promising, thus,Lamar Miller probably isn't the greatest pick, but there is a higher chance that a top tier OLB will not be there, unless we trade up.

I really hope Derek Wolfe tests very very well at the Combine, and we just make him our 1st round pick, that is if no OLB's are there.

Derek Wolfe offers little to no upside. He'll get better than where he is now, but not much. He's a solid 2nd round pick at best.

IMO This is what I want at OLB in order.

1. Upshaw
2. Perry
3. Ingram
4. Curry

I'm not sure how Branch would look as a 34 backer.

For 34DE

1. Brockers
2. Still
3. Cox
4. Poe

princefielder28
01-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Derek Wolfe offers little to no upside. He'll get better than where he is now, but not much. He's a solid 2nd round pick at best.

What makes you think he provides little to no upside???

I Am Rodgers
01-26-2012, 06:16 PM
His body style and play. He's very tech sound and an average at best athlete. He's good enough, but he won't be a star. He might be better than Wilson and Wynn, but he isn't someone that will be a monster. That's not someone you take in the first. You take someone that's either a stud, or has stud potential and just needs some polish to their game.

bigboiajhawk
01-26-2012, 07:02 PM
His body style and play. He's very tech sound and an average at best athlete. He's good enough, but he won't be a star. He might be better than Wilson and Wynn, but he isn't someone that will be a monster. That's not someone you take in the first. You take someone that's either a stud, or has stud potential and just needs some polish to their game.

So 21.5 TFL's and 9.5 Sacks is not studly enough for you? :) I am just giving you a hard time, because I am a fan of his, and his impact to his team is similar to that of JJ Watt. I am not saying that he is the same athlete or anything like that, but when you post those kind of numbers, you must be pretty dominant. Not to mention, BJ Raji, I want to say, had those kinds of numbers, maybe the sack total wasn't as high but his TFL's were, and he has turned into a pretty decent player. Also, when numerous bloggers, writing about the Senior Bowl practices (including the "owner" of this website), write about his motor, you have to think he will, at least, make up for any shortcomings, he may or may not have athletically, with his attitude, work ethic, and desire.

Also: see this pdf and type in Wolfe or Derek and you will see he made the 2011 NSCA All-American Strength and Conditioning Athletes of the Year. http://www.nsca-lift.org/Awards/2011_All_American_Book.pdf

J-Mike88
01-27-2012, 05:53 AM
So 21.5 TFL's and 9.5 Sacks is not studly enough for you? :) I am just giving you a hard time, because I am a fan of his, and his impact to his team is similar to that of JJ Watt. I am not saying that he is the same athlete or anything like that, but when you post those kind of numbers, you must be pretty dominant.
What is the size of this guy compared to Justin Smith?

As for the great production you highlighted above, I agree with that point.

I remember about 5 years ago people dismissed Louisville's guy's stats, Elvis Dumervil, and said his production in that silly conference wouldn't translate into the NFL.
So he slid in the draft.

Boy would Clay like to have Dumervil as his sidekick now.

I haven't done a lot of research yet on Wolf, but I like what I see and read so far.

bigboiajhawk
01-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Derek Wolfe - 6'5" 286

Justin Smith - 6'4" 285 - 26 reps at 225, 34 inch vertical, supposedly he power cleaned 500lbs which is a school record (a more telling statistic than bench press). In his Junior year (he entered the draft after his Junior season) he had 24 TFLs and 11 sacks. I wasnt able to find anything related to his 40 time. It looked like he might have cut weight at the combine.

Note: Aldon Smith ran a 4.74 at the combine last year and only had 20 reps at the combine, but yet he was phenomenal.

TimmG6376
01-27-2012, 10:15 AM
From the sounds of it Wolfe could easily add another 15 lbs too.

J-Mike88
01-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Derek Wolfe - 6'5" 286

Justin Smith - 6'4" 285 - 26 reps at 225, 34 inch vertical, supposedly he power cleaned 500lbs which is a school record (a more telling statistic than bench press). In his Junior year (he entered the draft after his Junior season) he had 24 TFLs and 11 sacks.
So similar size, and similar production.
I wish we had Smith, but if Wolfe is even anything close to Justin, being 10+ years younger, we need to bring the guy on board.
JJ Watt is taller than both isn't he?

J-Mike88
01-28-2012, 02:06 PM
http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story...lented-group-of-hybrid-pass-rushers-in-mobile

SENIOR BOWL OLB PROSPECTS

1. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina (6-1 7/8, 276 pounds)

Ingram couldn't be blocked in the Tuesday practice, as he showcased a complete arsenal of pass rush moves. He reminds me a lot of Pittsburgh Steelers star LaMarr Woodley, and is stout against the run. I see him as more of a 3-4 outside linebacker than a 4-3 defensive end.

2. Courtney Upshaw, Alabama (6-1 1/2, 273)

Upshaw is another ideal 3-4 OLB in the mold of Woodley, but he can come out of a three-point stance with explosiveness as an open-side end if a 4-3 team is interested. Upshaw does not have as much quick-twitch ability as Ingram, but he makes up for it in pure strength and football speed.

3. Shea McClellin, Boise State (6-3 1/4, 248)

McClellin was with the defensive ends in the 4-3 scheme on Monday. By Tuesday, he was working with the linebackers. McClellin was a tight end in high school and has plenty of skill to drop in coverage. When he rushes the passer from a two-point stance, like a 3-4 outside linebacker, he has a solid arsenal of moves to get to the quarterback. He reminds me of the Houston Texans' Connor Barwin when he was at the 2009 Senior Bowl. I heard one head coach say McClellin reminds him of Mike Vrabel, which is pretty high praise in my book.

More guys in that article.... I really want one of those top 2 guys.

J-Mike88
01-29-2012, 03:23 PM
From the game, from Tony:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/01/28/senior-bowl-risers-and-sliders/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a2

Risers

Alameda Ta'amu/DT/Washington:
6-2 1/2, 337
http://nflsfuture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/alameda-taamu.jpg
If scouts were hoping to be wowed by Ta'amu, all they need to due is watch the Senior Bowl game film. The big defensive tackle was dominant every time he lined up and was a constant nuisance for opponents. He collapsed the pocket on several occasions, overpowering opponents to make plays behind the line of scrimmage or force the action. His quarterback pressure at the end of the first half ended what looked to be a potential scoring drive for the South. In the second half the South was forced to double team Ta'amu in the attempt to slow him down.

Quinton Coples/DL/North Carolina:
6-6, 281
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/North+Carolina+v+Virginia+Tech+-JE9rNjuZrMl.jpg
Coples flashed brilliance during the game, looking like a man among boys at times. His athleticism is incredible, as Coples beat opponents with quickness, speed and power. On several occasions he had Kelechi Osemele flailing in an attempt to slow him down. When he could not get to the quarterback, Coples got his long arms up to swat away passes. When he's on his game Coples is a difference-maker up front. The problem for scouts is determining how often Coples is willing to play at his highest level.

Vinny Curry/DE/Marshall:
6-3, 265
http://www.turbodaddy.net/badschotz/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Vinny-Curry-Marshall.jpg
Curry continues to impress scouts with his ability to get penetration across the line of scrimmage. He was constantly in the backfield and his quarterback pressures in the first quarter caused a lot of problems for the South. On one occasion Curry bull rushed the much larger Zebrie Sanders into the pocket which resulted in a loss of yardage. Curry has significantly improved his draft stock this week and a good combine workout could secure him a spot in the late part of Round 1.

Nigel Bradham/OLB/Florida State:
http://warchant.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v12/p124995287-3.jpg
Bradham was fast and athletic all game long, running down opponents from all directions of the field. He was terrific in pursuit and Bradham made several outstanding plays in open space. Bradham showed skill in pass defense and was on top of his game covering tight ends and running backs. (wow, a LB who can cover RBs and TEs might be nice....

Coples will be long-gone by our pick though, of course.
According to Sporting News' Russ Lande, North Carolina DE Quinton Coples made a "statement" at the Senior Bowl that he's the best pass rusher in the 2012 draft.
Per Lande, Coples displayed an "uncommon" blend of explosiveness, agility, and quickness for a 6-foot-6, 281-pound football player. He has the ability to affect quarterbacks both as an edge and interior rusher. Coples was criticized as a senior for taking plays off, but his "motor" drew raves in Mobile. We fully expect Coples to be a top-ten overall pick in April. Jan. 29 - 3:49 pm et
Source: Sporting News

SuperPacker
01-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Vinny Curry could of played his way into our lap. I would love to get him at #28!

BloodBrother
01-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Agreed(10 char.)

RyanBraun8
01-30-2012, 02:39 PM
I really like Vinny Curry. Guy has a motor that never stops working, has the body to play the position, and has zero character concerns.

My favorite is Ingram because in my eyes he is the most boom or bust prospect out there at OLB. Most important thing about him is he just makes plays. Having guys who are always in the right place at the right time to make game changing plays are always nice.

I just hope TT is aggressive. We don't need quanity anymore, we don't need to trade down, trade down, trade down to collect picks.....we need quality! If that means finding away to move up in first or keep first and move up in 2nd ... do it! No impact player at OLB and DE will kill us again this year.

Upshaw will prob be gone but is another great option.

Really we need:

Major Priority:
OLB
DE
FS/SS (Depending on Collins and if he does retire, if they keep Burnett at FS or SS) Also need real depth there over just Peprah
OLB
DE
OLB
DE

2nd tier needs
QB Harrell is there but we need at least one more

CB Sheilds stepped back, Wood is getting older and could be moved to SS, House, Lee showed nothing, Bush is FA.

If we go all defense (except one QB) with multiple DE's and OLB's, i'll give TT a standing O

RyanBraun8
01-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Nigel Bradham could possible be a decent ILB or a younger Barnett type where he was a faster 4-3 OLB who moved inside and had issues of getting off blocks and over pursueing at first until he learn the position and got stronger

Call me crazy but if somehow Alameda Ta'amu dropped, I'd draft him in a heart beat. The guy is a flat out force and a little stronger than Raji. What is good about this is that it gets Raji back at end where I personally always liked him better. He moves really well for his size and will not have to take on 2-3 guys a play. I may be alone on this though.

J-Mike88
01-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Nigel Bradham could possible be a decent ILB or a younger Barnett type where he was a faster 4-3 OLB who moved inside and had issues of getting off blocks and over pursueing at first until he learn the position and got stronger

Call me crazy but if somehow Alameda Ta'amu dropped, I'd draft him in a heart beat. The guy is a flat out force and a little stronger than Raji. What is good about this is that it gets Raji back at end where I personally always liked him better. He moves really well for his size and will not have to take on 2-3 guys a play. I may be alone on this though.
Can you imagine him with Raji there?
Except for the problem saying his name, I'd love it too.

I watched one game of his last year, not knowing anyone or anything, and that guy was just a demolishin derby all by himself.

I wish we had 2 first round picks like the damn Patriots have. I already hate that team.
But I do thank them for both Greg Jennings & Clay Matthews.

CheeseKnuckles
01-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Raji doesn't fit at end...

RyanBraun8
01-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Raji doesn't fit at end...

Why? Cause he played well there before being slide over? or because Howard Green and Ryan Pickett are far superior athletes?

Raji fits good at end (plus was a DE in the scheme before) for what Packers do on run downs, he still drops to a 2 or 3 Tech in the Nickle/Dime, and will actually be able to see a one on ones. He is not a great NT, good but not great. He isn't an over powering guy. He is strong but relies more on his athletic ability (for size) quickness, and techinque to make plays. How could that not fit at end?

princefielder28
01-31-2012, 02:00 PM

What good does another space eater do for our defense? Ta'amu flashes brilliance at times as a potential 2-gap guy, but he's also had his moments (got completely dominated by David DeCastro and was a non-factor in the Baylor dominance during bowl season) where he is just a big guy who's athletic and not much of a football player

options i like for us

DE :: Derek Wolfe, Kendall Reyes, Billy Winn
OLB :: Vinny Curry, Shea McClellin, Miles Burris (more of a late round guy)

if we're able to add one of those guys from each position i think it'll help tremendously in getting after the passer and helping our defense

TimmG6376
01-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Why? Cause he played well there before being slide over? or because Howard Green and Ryan Pickett are far superior athletes?

Raji fits good at end (plus was a DE in the scheme before) for what Packers do on run downs, he still drops to a 2 or 3 Tech in the Nickle/Dime, and will actually be able to see a one on ones. He is not a great NT, good but not great. He isn't an over powering guy. He is strong but relies more on his athletic ability (for size) quickness, and techinque to make plays. How could that not fit at end?

I read an article during the season that actually said they did use Raji more at DE this season and Pickett at NT. The goal was to get Pickett closer to the ball as he doesn't have the athleticism to really threaten from the DE position and to give Raji more freedom as a pass rusher.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/picketts-return-could-help-defensive-line-v03jmlk-136354323.html

This season, in the base 3-4 alignment, Pickett has been the nose tackle. With Pickett out, B.J. Raji was forced to move from his 3-technique (the outside shoulder of the guard) to a 1-technique (off the center's shoulder). The entire line was affected.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/127402253.html

In the new setup, the 340-pound Pickett would be back at nose tackle, where he started from 2006-'09 and probably is most effective, and Raji would have more freedom as a one-gap player in the spot previously occupied by Jenkins.

J-Mike88
01-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Well whatever Capers DID do this year, DID NOT work.

Prince, why you mention Vinny Curry but not Ingram?
I'd be happy with either guy. McLellin seems like a Teddy guy.
But so did the kid from AZ last year too and so did Connor Barwin.
We got Zombo though.

Would love Winn and Wolfe.

princefielder28
01-31-2012, 09:30 PM

We got Zombo though.

There's just something about Ingram that doesn't intrigue...I also fear that he's the beneficiary of playing on a line with Clowney and Taylor, allowing him to be free along the defense

TimmG6376
02-01-2012, 09:08 AM

We got Zombo though.

Agreed. I remember reading about the changes they were making for this season and wondering why they would mess with top 5 defense.

McLellin has got be attracting attention with his versatility. Is he a first round pick though? I'm not getting that vibe and if not will he last to the end of the 2nd?

SuperPacker
02-01-2012, 01:53 PM
How pissed would everyone be if we didnt go OLB or DE with our first pick? I would be mad if we got someone like Lamar Miller or Dwayne Allen in the first round.

TimmG6376
02-01-2012, 02:23 PM
How pissed would everyone be if we didnt go OLB or DE with our first pick? I would be mad if we got someone like Lamar Miller or Dwayne Allen in the first round.

Depends. If they pass on OLB and DE for RB, TE, or OL, yeah I'd be pretty pissed. A little less if it is S or CB as I think those are needs as well and depending on value wouldn't be horrible picks.

And the FA status of Wells could change everything. If TT can't re-sign him that leaves a gaping hole on the OL.

SuperPacker
02-01-2012, 02:32 PM
We have to sign Wells! If we lost him our offensive line would be a mess.

bigboiajhawk
02-02-2012, 03:55 PM
This is the year that I would like to see TT trade down if no OLB prospects are there in the 1st round (Mercilus and Perry being the only guys I can see potentially falling to us). I personally don't consider Curry to be a 1st round talent. Therefore, we trade back into the early 40's (like 40-43) we pick up Curry there, then we package a couple of picks together with our 3rd rounder, and trade up for a middle 2nd round pick (48-52) and we pick up Markelle Martin from Ok. State, and then with our original 2nd round pick, we draft either Mike Martin or best available DE (I do not think Wolfe will be there). Thus, instead of having only 2 picks in the first 2 rounds, we have 3, and all 3 will be able to make an impact on the 2012 season.

Thoughts?

J-Mike88
02-02-2012, 08:52 PM
My thoughts are I love Chase Minnifield and I suspect Ted Thompson does as well.

I'd like your trade down idea, and then draft the CB Minnifield and one of the 5-techs, both in the late 30's or 40's, and trade a mid-late pick for Jerry Hughes and move him to OLB where Ted was planning on taking and moving him with pick #24 in 2010 before Bulaga fell. I still believe Hughes is as good an OLB prospect as anything we'll find in this draft after the first round.

He's a bargain for a 4th or 5th round pick.

princefielder28
02-02-2012, 09:13 PM
My thoughts are I love Chase Minnifield and I suspect Ted Thompson does as well.

I'd like your trade down idea, and then draft the CB Minnifield and one of the 5-techs, both in the late 30's or 40's, and trade a mid-late pick for Jerry Hughes and move him to OLB where Ted was planning on taking and moving him with pick #24 in 2010 before Bulaga fell. I still believe Hughes is as good an OLB prospect as anything we'll find in this draft after the first round.

He's a bargain for a 4th or 5th round pick.

With the Colts transition to a 3-4 I'm guessing they'll give him a shot standing up before moving on from him

J-Mike88
02-03-2012, 05:48 AM
With the Colts transition to a 3-4 I'm guessing they'll give him a shot standing up before moving on from him
Are we sure they are switching it? I thought Butler backed out and is staying in Pittsburgh.
Freeney & Mathis are the anchors of that defense, and they are 4-3 speed guys. Can't imagine them totally 180ing.

princefielder28
02-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Are we sure they are switching it? I thought Butler backed out and is staying in Pittsburgh.
Freeney & Mathis are the anchors of that defense, and they are 4-3 speed guys. Can't imagine them totally 180ing.

Greg Manusky, formerly of the Chargers, has accepted the DC for the Colts and with Pagano in as head coach it would only make sense that they'll transition to a 3-4, and the transition shouldn't be an issue with Freeney/Mathis since their games are based on speed.

RyanBraun8
02-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Mathis is a free agent and we already know where i stand on trading for Hughes (i'd trade almost nothing for him)

J-Mike88
02-03-2012, 08:10 PM
McShay has Melvin Ingram at 8 in his latest mock, and Upshaw at 10.

Green Bay Packers

Record: 15-1
Ronnell Lewis*, OLB, Oklahoma

This is a bit of a reach, but no more so than any of the players who fit Green Bay's need at defensive end (5-technique) or cornerback. The Packers must find a pass-rusher who can complement OLB Clay Matthews, and Lewis would bring natural burst and athleticism to the table.

J-Mike88
02-03-2012, 09:12 PM
... we already know where i stand on trading for Hughes (i'd trade almost nothing for him)

JERRY HUGHES, TCU

PeqeQlFUa5w

This is Shane's COMBINE review, and at the 1:05 mark, he talks about how Jerry Hughes should be a 3-4 OLB and he looked fluid.
Again, I have talked with Bob McGinn and Rick Gosselin, who BOTH had sources tell them HUGHES was the target for Ted Thompson in that 2010 draft, but because Bulaga unexpectedly fell that far, we had to take him. But the problem now, sucks, is that if the Colts do switch to the 3-4, I think they know this guy is best suited for that. Dammit.

F2xHJy0P44g

**** BRAD JONES, Colorado *****

qL-TixzZoE4

To illustrate how highlights in college often don't translate, look at how Brad Jones looked on film from Colorado. I was extatic when we got him in the 7th round and I felt like he and Matthews as rookies in the same class were going to be our Harrison & Woodley.

J-Mike88
02-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Duplicate*****
I am still ill and headachey that we are not in this Super Bowl this weekend.
Dammit.

Especially against NE.
4 years ago, it should have been us vs them too.

I hate NE and wanted to beat them in another SB....

Sloopy
02-03-2012, 10:39 PM
I encourage you all to check out my latest three round mock :)

Feedback would be awesome

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...45#post2848845

RyanBraun8
02-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Awesome! Lets draft/trade for any guy because his hips are fluent in shorts (not film) and his college coach loves him....all the evidence needed. I'll over look he is a Jamal Reynolds clone who overs nothing except speed off edge. No need for a guy who is physical and play against run. Is he an upgrade over thetrash we have thrown at ROLB....maybe but most non 7th rd to udfa are. Pure fact is he is NOT a dominate all around player. Sure he may come in on a 3rd down and run a circle around a guy but if a real ot gets his hands on him, hes done. I know Colts have some good DE's but he couldnt even beat out a massive bust in Jamal Anderson! Hughes is so good that in 2 years he has produced a total of 21 tackles and a sack!

If you are drafted that high, teams will give you chances to fail, he couldnt even earn that...even as a dome/turf 4-3 speed rush DE. Can't even get PT on WORSE team in NFL!

Once he shows a tiny bit of'potential ill drink some kool-aid but not til

RyanBraun8
02-04-2012, 12:02 AM
JERRY HUGHES, TCU

To illustrate how highlights in college often don't translate, look at how Brad Jones looked on film from Colorado. I was extatic when we got him in the 7th round and I felt like he and Matthews as rookies in the same class were going to be our Harrison & Woodley.

Sooooooooo this doesn't apply to Hughes? He went against MWC OTs dominated and was destined to be a star but Brad Jones dominence shows how college film doesn't translate into NFL dominence? Film is about details not whole pie and numbers. Hughes struggled to physically attacked unworthy NFL OT's, he was more speed with a good move who got dominated when he let guys get to his body. He is Jamal Reynolds

RyanBraun8
02-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Packers were also going to take Lynch prior to the Bills pulling trigger. He was very effective with Bills. However, he fell in Packers lap for trade and TT said no. Why would Hughes be different after showing nothing?

Back to realistic stuff

I love Ingram. Freak athlete who seems to always be in right spot for big play. Hs motor however is major question. It doesnt always run hot. Vin Curry however earns every sack he gets. Guy could get his leg snapped and still try to keep going. Whittney scares me. Doesn't seem overly physical, he can disappear, and has zero track record before this year.

J-Mike88
02-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Back to realistic stuff

I love Ingram. Freak athlete who seems to always be in right spot for big play. His motor however is major question. It doesn't always run hot. Vin Curry however earns every sack he gets. Guy could get his leg snapped and still try to keep going. Whitney scares me. Doesn't seem overly physical, he can disappear, and has zero track record before this year.
I love all those guys too and am not totally sure on Whitney yet.
But be careful saying he can "disappear".
That is the case for every single pass-rushing OLB and even DE, many times.

We've seen Clay disappear at times, DeMarcus Ware, Julius Peppers, Von Miller, etc. Sometimes it looks like they take plays off. I saw Matthews get stonewalled many times by single-blocking from below-par RT's this year.

As long as Ted doesn't ignore the OLB position beyond rounds 1 or 2, AGAIN, I will be happy... whoever he determines is worthy there.

I wanted an OLB in 2010 and 2011 high.

RyanBraun8
02-04-2012, 02:15 PM
By dispear I mean he is much more boom or bust on plays if that makes sense. Either he is making a huge play or he is nowhere to be seen. Guys like CM3, Peppers, Ware, and etc are always working, holding ground or taking on multiple blockers opening up other guys. You look at a JJ Watt and he is always a factor in some way while he was at UW. If we wasn't making a big play he was at least always keeping a strong edge, commanding extra attention, and had a major threat in all aspects.

I havent seen Whitney enough to get a great read on him but from what i have seen, I like him but not sure if he is that complete player who is always a threat. Vinny Curry on the other hand is pretty relentless. He is always a force but part of that may just be competition.

Best way to put it is I fear Whittney M. could be more of a Brad Jones who at times looks really good in pass rush, but not overly strong against run and not a guy who is always a presence.

CheeseKnuckles
02-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Just decided to sit down and put together a 4 round Packer wish list/mock. Let me know what you all think.

Rd 1: Nick Perry OLB, USC

Not sure if Perry falls this far, but if he does Packers have to draft him. Perry has a great burst off the snap and great athleticism. I think he would be a great addition to our defense across CM3

Alternate Pick: Vinny Curry OLB, Marshall

Rd 2: Derek Wolfe DE, Cincinnati

IMO Wolfe could be a real suprise of this draft in the future. Hard working player who never takes a play off. In the few games I was able to watch I saw Wolfe being very distruptive time after time. I really hope he could fall into our lap.

Alternate pick: Mike Martin DE, Michigan or Markelle Martin S, OKST

Rd 3: Josh Norman CB, Costal Carolina

Norman is 6'3 203 and really quick. I've read a couple things about Norman being the top prospect at the East/West shrine game and never letting WRs get any seperation there. Thompson likes his CBs to be 6'0 and I think we could use some size and toughness in the secondary.

Alternate pick: Billy Winn DE, Boise State

Rd 4: Winston Guy Jr. S, Kentucky

In 2011 Guy had 120 tackes, 14 TFL, 2 passes broken up, 2 INTS, and 1 FF. At 6'1 216 Guy would bring a physical presence to the secondary as a 8th man in the box and maybe put some fear in WRs crossing the middle. Guy is probably one of my favorites in this draft. I think he will make a good S in the NFL.

Alternate pick: Nigel Bradham OLB, Florida State or Julian Miller OLB, WV.

There you go there is my wish list.

PackersProspectTracker
02-04-2012, 03:51 PM
I like Kendall Reyes in the late first-early second round (if Ted trades down) and gathers another pick. I like safety Markelle Martin in the second round, and offensive tackle Nate Potter in the third. Also keep an eye on outside linebacker Miles Burris on days two and three --- he's a workhorse.

J-Mike88
02-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Just decided to sit down and put together a 4 round Packer wish list/mock. Let me know what you all think.

Rd 1: Nick Perry OLB, USC

Not sure if Perry falls this far, but if he does Packers have to draft him. Perry has a great burst off the snap and great athleticism. I think he would be a great addition to our defense across CM3

Alternate Pick: Vinny Curry OLB, Marshall

Rd 2: Derek Wolfe DE, Cincinnati

IMO Wolfe could be a real suprise of this draft in the future. Hard working player who never takes a play off. In the few games I was able to watch I saw Wolfe being very distruptive time after time. I really hope he could fall into our lap.

Alternate pick: Mike Martin DE, Michigan or Markelle Martin S, OKST

Norman is 6'3 203 and really quick. I've read a couple things about Norman being the top prospect at the East/West shrine game and never letting WRs get any seperation there. Thompson likes his CBs to be 6'0 and I think we could use some size and toughness in the secondary.

Alternate pick: Billy Winn DE, Boise State

In 2011 Guy had 120 tackes, 14 TFL, 2 passes broken up, 2 INTS, and 1 FF. At 6'1 216 Guy would bring a physical presence to the secondary as a 8th man in the box and maybe put some fear in WRs crossing the middle. Guy is probably one of my favorites in this draft. I think he will make a good S in the NFL.

Alternate pick: Nigel Bradham OLB, Florida State or Julian Miller OLB, WV.

There you go there is my wish list.
I like the way you think.
I would love our guys to be from your lists there.
I've seen some dreamers have Wolfe to us in round 5!

TimmG6376
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
We have to sign Wells! If we lost him our offensive line would be a mess.

I really don't get why this hasn't already been done. Thompson usually likes to resign guys before they hit the unrestricted market. It isn't like we have a starting quality C waiting in the wings. If Wells isn't signed, it's either a rookie, EDS (ugh), or a FA. We all know how TT loves FAs. The continuity between Rodgers and Wells is huge. There maybe a couple C in the draft who could come in and start right away, but that would mean spending a relatively early pick on one, instead of addressing the defense.

J-Mike88
02-06-2012, 05:21 PM
I really don't get why this hasn't already been done. Thompson usually likes to resign guys before they hit the unrestricted market. It isn't like we have a starting quality C waiting in the wings. If Wells isn't signed, it's either a rookie, EDS (ugh), or a FA. We all know how TT loves FAs. The continuity between Rodgers and Wells is huge. There maybe a couple C in the draft who could come in and start right away, but that would mean spending a relatively early pick on one, instead of addressing the defense.
Big clue right there, based on Ted's history.
But Hawk and Jones hit the market last year too, and then he brought them back, so who knows.

TimmG6376
02-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Big clue right there, based on Ted's history.
But Hawk and Jones hit the market last year too, and then he brought them back, so who knows.

True, but losing Hawk and/or Jones would be so much easier to overcome than Wells. Thompson really has given all the leverage to Wells, unless he somehow knows that the market will be cool on him.

SuperPacker
02-07-2012, 01:23 PM
True, but losing Hawk and/or Jones would be so much easier to overcome than Wells. Thompson really has given all the leverage to Wells, unless he somehow knows that the market will be cool on him.

Yeah i doubt TT really cared if he lost Jones or Hawk. Its weird how this year we have two players you'd think we'd resign possibly no the market. Maybe either Finley or Wells wont be resigned.

RyanBraun8
02-07-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm not worried about Wells, TT knows he has one of the top centers in the league that still has a reasonable price with extension. Plus he has no real option lined up. TT let Jenkins go because price tag was high and he thought Neil could proved something. With Wells neither are there.

J-Mike be franchised and be made EARN a contract extension. You know strive for only 1 or 2 drops a game over 3 to 4

bigboiajhawk
02-08-2012, 09:26 AM
So I have been thinking about the whole first round situation, and I really think we need to trade up and draft Melvin Ingram if he is there around pick 20. He is by far one of the most unique prospect this year because of his size/speed/explosiveness. He is like the Trent Richardson of the defense in terms of build.

If we dont trade up, then we should draft Kendall Reyes from UCONN in the 1st round.

I really recommend all of you searching on youtube for the Senior Bowl. There are a lot of good videos from the practices.

CheeseKnuckles
02-08-2012, 10:43 AM
So I have been thinking about the whole first round situation, and I really think we need to trade up and draft Melvin Ingram if he is there around pick 20. He is by far one of the most unique prospect this year because of his size/speed/explosiveness. He is like the Trent Richardson of the defense in terms of build.

If we dont trade up, then we should draft Kendall Reyes from UCONN in the 1st round.

I really recommend all of you searching on youtube for the Senior Bowl. There are a lot of good videos from the practices.

Ingram and Upshaw are pretty much the class of the draft as far as RUSH LBs go. As far as DEs go nobody really sticks out to me as a player who is going to come in and start dominating. Two players that do intrigue me as 3-4 DEs are, Derek Wolfe and Mike Martin.

On a side note I saw a mock draft the other day that mocked us Dontari Poe the NT from Memphis. I found that to be interesting as far wondering what our Dline would look like then...

princefielder28
02-08-2012, 12:20 PM
On a side note I saw a mock draft the other day that mocked us Dontari Poe the NT from Memphis. I found that to be interesting as far wondering what our Dline would look like then...

If we took Poe, which I wouldn't be a fan of, he'd play end...he's not a nose tackle in a 3-4 defense

bigboiajhawk
02-08-2012, 01:01 PM

Poe is uber strong, this would mean that Raji would kick out to DE. That would be a massive DL....Pickett 345-355 Poe 355 Raji 330......The only problem with this is that we don't really have a problem stopping the run, we just cant generate any sort of pressure with our current DL. We just need to find one DE or NT that can generate enough of a pass rush on a consistent basis that teams need to think about having to double team him, or they let him go one on one and he wins versus the opposing OL.

J-Mike88
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
So I have been thinking about the whole first round situation, and I really think we need to trade up and draft Melvin Ingram if he is there around pick 20. He is by far one of the most unique prospect this year because of his size/speed/explosiveness.
I'd be happy as hell to see that happen.
But I really like Vinny Curry as well and see a bright future for him.

bigboiajhawk
02-08-2012, 03:43 PM
I'd be happy as hell to see that happen.
But I really like Vinny Curry as well and see a bright future for him.

I just can't get excited about many of the OLB prospects this year as late 1st round selections. I am having the same issue with DE's as well. I feel like the true value for both of those positions is in the middle of the 2nd round.

However, it is probably better to get a guy when he is at your pick then hoping he will be there if you trade back.

J-Mike88
02-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Right, I don't look at it like "value" anymore, like Kiper loves to spit out.
Greg Jennings wasn't good value in the 2nd, Matthews in the 1st. Getting Matthews late round 2 would have been good value, they'd say.

To me, if the guy is a player, he's a player whenever we take him.

I do love Ingram though.
But let me ax you this: if his numbers are pretty slow in the shuttle and splits in Indy, does he drop? Do you still want him? Ted seems to place severe importance on those numbers. Brad Jones posted great ones. (Either there or his pro day)

bigboiajhawk
02-08-2012, 10:17 PM
I do love Ingram though.
But let me ax you this: if his numbers are pretty slow in the shuttle and splits in Indy, does he drop? Do you still want him? Ted seems to place severe importance on those numbers. Brad Jones posted great ones. (Either there or his pro day)

To make it simple, yes. Hey, he has got short arms and isn't tall as well. To me, he is a guy that the Packers can put at OLB on run downs, use him sometimes as a DE on passing downs and bring in a guy like So'oto to rush the passer. He brings flexibility to the Packers Defense.

I worry though that he is going to test extremely well and will be a top 15 pick, in which case, it would be extremely difficult for TT to part with that many draft picks to move up. It wouldn't shock me if he benches 30+, has a vert of atleast 35, and has a sub 4.75 40.

PackerLegend
02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
I hope to hell we draft an olb and de in the first couple rounds. This is TT though and he has shown before he won't go in the direction which everyone tends to think we really need. That scares the hell outta me.

bigboiajhawk
02-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I hope to hell we draft an olb and de in the first couple rounds. This is TT though and he has shown before he won't go in the direction which everyone tends to think we really need. That scares the hell outta me.

See, I wouldn't care too much if the Packers drafted a TE or RB, WR on the other hand, yes, I would care.

I mean we have many question marks at RB, and there is some uncertainty at TE. I really hope we sign J-Mike, but you can never be certain that we will.

If TT drafts Lamar Miller, David Wilson, Dwyane Allen, Coby Fleener, or Orson Charles in either the 1st or 2nd round, I don't know if I would necessarily be upset. For example, if a guy like Nick Perry is still on the board and we select one of those guys, then I will be upset. But if we are "reaching" for a guy like Curry (just not as big of a fan of his), and we select one of those guys, then I really don't care.

Granted, I don't think TT will draft a RB or TE early, unless he truly thinks that the player he is selecting is way better than the BPA for a need position.

I mean, TT has said that if players are pretty equal in terms of skill, he will select the player where the need for him is greater.

TimmG6376
02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Yeah there are questions at RB, but look at the guys on the roster:

Grant - undrafted; acquired for future 6th
Starks - drafted in 6th
Saine - undrafted
Green - drafted 3rd
Kuhn - undrafted

I think it is safe to say TT doesn't put a premium on the RB position.

WR would just be silly. There aren't enough roster spots as it is. They are basically paying Gurley as if he were on the roster just so no one would sign him off the PS.

TE is a wildcard since no one really knows how McCarthy and TT really feel about Finely's future. I don't see how they don't at least franchise him though.

princefielder28
02-09-2012, 02:31 PM

Starks - drafted in 6th
Saine - undrafted
Green - drafted 3rd
Kuhn - undrafted

WR would just be silly. There aren't enough roster spots as it is. They are basically paying Gurley as if he were on the roster just so no one would sign him off the PS.

TE is a wildcard since no one really knows how McCarthy and TT really feel about Finely's future. I don't see how they don't at least franchise him though.

With as little as we feature the running back position in our offense it's the perfect approach by Thompson & Co. to bring in later round guys to compete for the position(s). We won't be taking a receiver until later, if at all, bc we clearly have a handful of guys who we know can get the job done at a high level. The TE position isn't featured much in our offense either (I feel it's more about guys filling a specific niche within the offense) so investing a high pick or even a ton of money (like giving Finley a long term deal) would be a mistake and I don't see it as a direction the team would go.

bigboiajhawk
02-09-2012, 05:50 PM

Starks - drafted in 6th
Saine - undrafted
Green - drafted 3rd
Kuhn - undrafted

He did draft Shaun Alexander in the first round, so there is a chance;)!!!

TimmG6376
02-09-2012, 06:33 PM
He did draft Shaun Alexander in the first round, so there is a chance;)!!!

1) Technically Holmgren was the GM
2) That was back when RBs still mattered
3) Jon Kitna was the starting QB

;)

bigboiajhawk
02-09-2012, 06:59 PM
1) Technically Holmgren was the GM
2) That was back when RBs still mattered
3) Jon Kitna was the starting QB

;)

Okay, you win on a technicality!!

I do agree that we shouldn't take a RB or TE early, but I will not be upset if TT goes off the deep end and drafts one of the RBs or TEs in the draft as our first pick, as I could easily see a couple of the guys at either of those positions as the BPA available at the time when we pick.

But here is to hoping that Ryan Tannehill is selected in the first round before we pick, it just means one more player has the opportunity to fall to us.

TimmG6376
02-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Yeah the more guys like Tannehill that are pushed up into the first round due to positional significance the better. Means a richer talent pool will be available late.

J-Mike88
02-12-2012, 05:00 PM
OLB's/DE's

2009 DRAFT
#4- Aaron Curry (we could have traded for him this year, a 4th rounder, and gotten him)
#11- Aaron Maybin (was released prior to last season already.. nobody had Matthews rated higher except Teddy)
#13- Brian Orakpo (DE-OLB)
#15- Brian Cushing
#16- Larry English
#18- Robert Ayers
#26- Clay Matthews

2010 DRAFT
#8- Rolando McLain
#13- Brandon Graham
#15- Jason Pierre-Paul

The point of all of this is, just because the kid from Alabama and South Carolina (ooooh, the SEC), or Perry from USC are going to go first, doesn't mean that Vinny Curry from Marshall, later to us perhaps, isn't going to be the actual best NFL pass-rusher.

SuperPacker
02-12-2012, 05:15 PM
OLB's/DE's

2009 DRAFT
#4- Aaron Curry (we could have traded for him this year, a 4th rounder, and gotten him)
#11- Aaron Maybin (was released prior to last season already.. nobody had Matthews rated higher except Teddy)
#13- Brian Orakpo (DE-OLB)
#15- Brian Cushing
#16- Larry English
#18- Robert Ayers
#26- Clay Matthews

2010 DRAFT
#8- Rolando McLain
#13- Brandon Graham
#15- Jason Pierre-Paul

The point of all of this is, just because the kid from Alabama and South Carolina (ooooh, the SEC), or Perry from USC are going to go first, doesn't mean that Vinny Curry from Marshall, later to us perhaps, isn't going to be the actual best NFL pass-rusher.

You could say that about every draft prospect. "He could be better than him" yeah course he could but in the end you take the player you think will be best.

J-Mike88
02-12-2012, 07:48 PM
You could say that about every draft prospect. "He could be better than him" yeah course he could but in the end you take the player you think will be best.
Obviously. The point here is that there are some fans who think since 2, 3, 4 OLB prospects are gonna go before our pick, that since we can't get "the best" ones, that it's better to take the DE or whatever and wait for the OLB later.

Just because teams A, B, C might take an OLB before us doesn't mean Teddy's #1 or #2 OLB won't still be there.

bigboiajhawk
02-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Here is my obscure mock draft.

Give me a guy like Fletcher Cox in Round 1 (Assuming Nick Perry or Whitney Mercilus isn't there)

In Round 2, give me Orson Charles

In Round 3, give me Olivier Vernon at OLB

We have improved our DL, protected our TE position, and improved our OLB depth. I really want the Packers to draft athletes, and each of these guys is an athlete. I personally think Vernon could be a player. He is really strong and is pretty fast. I also like not drafting an OLB round 1 because now we can still have a fair competition rather than just giving the spot to a 1st rounder. I also really want to see what Vic So'oto can do.

I really would like the Packers offense to keep stepping on the gas pedal. I can only imagine the nightmares teams would have if they had to cover both J-Mike and Charles on top of Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, possibly Driver, and possibly Gurley.

I don't know if it is just me, but I really would like to see Orson Charles in a Packers uniform, he is a jacked up version of J-Mike.

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
See, I wouldn't care too much if the Packers drafted a TE or RB, WR on the other hand, yes, I would care.

I mean we have many question marks at RB, and there is some uncertainty at TE. I really hope we sign J-Mike, but you can never be certain that we will.

If TT drafts Lamar Miller, David Wilson, Dwyane Allen, Coby Fleener, or Orson Charles in either the 1st or 2nd round, I don't know if I would necessarily be upset. For example, if a guy like Nick Perry is still on the board and we select one of those guys, then I will be upset. But if we are "reaching" for a guy like Curry (just not as big of a fan of his), and we select one of those guys, then I really don't care.

Granted, I don't think TT will draft a RB or TE early, unless he truly thinks that the player he is selecting is way better than the BPA for a need position.

I mean, TT has said that if players are pretty equal in terms of skill, he will select the player where the need for him is greater.

if we draft a running back in the first or second round id really like it to be chris polk from washington over lamar miller. hes kind of a sleeper i feel like and he is being over looked.

SuperPacker
02-14-2012, 03:55 PM
if we draft a running back in the first or second round id really like it to be chris polk from washington over lamar miller. hes kind of a sleeper i feel like and he is being over looked.

But Chris Polk doesnt add much. Hes basically James Starks.

If we do draft a running back i'd prefer it to be a faster guy a bit like Sproles. Maybe David Wilson would be of interest to us.

TimmG6376
02-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Meh...Polk just seems like more of the same. If a running back is taken he should be a home run threat. Polk seems like a better fit with a more run-oriented team. He'll consistently get you yards if given enough carries, but not really a threat to take it the distance.

CheeseKnuckles
02-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Andre Branch OLB, Clemson. 6'4 260

Anyone have any opinions on this guy? I've been reading 2nd round talent, but will show well at the combine and possibly increase his draft stock? From what I have read he seems like he would be a good addition at ROLB opposite CM3. So far what I have gotten is fast, great closing speed, and relentless motor. Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

J-Mike88
02-15-2012, 06:40 AM
I love Andre.
Tweeted with Ty Dunne last night and he said the couple scouts he just talked to both think that Branch is best suited to play OLB in a 34.

He's bigger & stronger than Clay is, which I think is a perfect compliment.

I want Branch now at 28, and Kendall Reyes at 60.

SuperPacker
02-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Anyone in the first two rounds would be an upgrade ROLB.

Bruce Irvin and Jonathan Massaquoi are the two guys im looking at.

CheeseKnuckles
02-15-2012, 08:46 AM
I love Andre.
Tweeted with Ty Dunne last night and he said the couple scouts he just talked to both think that Branch is best suited to play OLB in a 34.

He's bigger & stronger than Clay is, which I think is a perfect compliment.

I want Branch now at 28, and Kendall Reyes at 60.

I have to agree Branch at 28, but Derek Wolfe with our 2nd pick would make me happy.

Another guy that intrigues me is Chandler Jones from Syracuse.

schmig10
02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
What does anyone think about Vontaze Burfict going to the packers? I've seen posts that basically say our top 4 needs are OLB, D-Line, CB and Safety. And while I think that's all true, i think our basic problem was lack of pass rush and the goal is to either solve that issue by addressing any position which upgrades our pass rush OR investing a large amount of resources into the secondary and just hope that we can shut teams down despite the fact that the QB has all day to throw.

I realize that ILB isn't necessarily a huge need. However, AJ Hawk wasn't very good this past year and his contract is fairly large. There have been talks about the Packers getting rid of him because of the contract and how close the packers are to the cap. If that happens we could replace him with DJ Smith, but I'd prefer to bring in Burfict.

He would improve the overall pass rush which, again, is the main issue we think the Packers need to solve this offseason. I also think he would fire up our defense and give them a new personality. I know the major knock on him has been in regards to his maturity on the field, but i think that the veterans on our team can help him mature while at the same time be influenced by his enthusiasm.

Our defense needs a personality change and I think he could give that to us. He goes 100% all of the time. It seems like most scouts aren't questioning his ability, it's just his maturity. Scott has him ranked 13th overall and the number 1 ILB. Why would we pass on that at 28?

Thoughts?

schmig10
02-15-2012, 02:17 PM
What does anyone think about Vontaze Burfict going to the packers? I've seen posts that basically say our top 4 needs are OLB, D-Line, CB and Safety. And while I think that's all true, i think our basic problem was lack of pass rush and the goal is to either solve that issue by addressing any position which upgrades our pass rush OR investing a large amount of resources into the secondary and just hope that we can shut teams down despite the fact that the QB has all day to throw.

I realize that ILB isn't necessarily a huge need. However, AJ Hawk wasn't very good this past year and his contract is fairly large. There have been talks about the Packers getting rid of him because of the contract and how close the packers are to the cap. If that happens we could replace him with DJ Smith, but I'd prefer to bring in Burfict.

He would improve the overall pass rush which, again, is the main issue we think the Packers need to solve this offseason. I also think he would fire up our defense and give them a new personality. I know the major knock on him has been in regards to his maturity on the field, but i think that the veterans on our team can help him mature while at the same time be influenced by his enthusiasm.

Our defense needs a personality change and I think he could give that to us. He goes 100% all of the time. It seems like most scouts aren't questioning his ability, it's just his maturity. Scott has him ranked 13th overall and the number 1 ILB. Why would we pass on that at 28?

Thoughts?

J-Mike88
02-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Anyone in the first two rounds would be an upgrade ROLB.

Bruce Irvin and Jonathan Massaquoi are the two guys im looking at.
I heard a lot oabout Massaquio lately and took at a look at a bunch of film of him on youtube, and really am not that impressed with him.

Irvin looks a lot better IMO, but I can't say I've ever watched Troy play closely or focused in on JM other than this film.

I really feel Vinny Curry though.

SuperPacker
02-15-2012, 03:33 PM

Thoughts?

We dont need a personality change we just need some pass rushers. Desmond Bishop is the pass rushing ILB so Burfict would bring nothing to the pass rush. Add that to the fact that his play hasn't even warranted being selected in the first two rounds and I wouldn't like us to take him at 28.

TimmG6376
02-15-2012, 04:34 PM
I heard a lot oabout Massaquio lately and took at a look at a bunch of film of him on youtube, and really am not that impressed with him.

Irvin looks a lot better IMO, but I can't say I've ever watched Troy play closely or focused in on JM other than this film.

I really feel Vinny Curry though.

Only thing going against Irvin right now is size. I'm really interested to see what he looks like at the Combine. I believe he played around 245 this season, if he can come in at 250-255 he'll turn some heads.

SuperPacker
02-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Only thing going against Irvin right now is size. I'm really interested to see what he looks like at the Combine. I believe he played around 245 this season, if he can come in at 250-255 he'll turn some heads.

245 would still be fine! Thats what Von Miller was wasnt it. Clay musnt be too much heavier that that either. He just needs to get down the gym and start lifting some weights.

J-Mike88
02-15-2012, 05:33 PM
245 would still be fine! Thats what Von Miller was wasnt it. Clay musnt be too much heavier that that either. He just needs to get down the gym and start lifting some weights.
Isn't Clay listed at 240?
I thought he looked like 230 last year.

SuperPacker
02-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Isn't Clay listed at 240?
I thought he looked like 230 last year.

Even though his sack numbers were down he was just as good IMO. He found a way to make plays whilst he was being double teamed on every snap.

CheeseKnuckles
02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
IMO Branch and Irvin would be good opposite CM3, I am not completely sold on Curry. I want to see his combine performance a little. See how flexible he is not sure he has the bend you need to get around LTs in the league.

TimmG6376
02-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Clay played 2010 somewhere between 255 and 260. Cut some "bad weight" to play at 250 in 2011.

Miller isn't asked to line up against OTs every snap. He plays SLB in a 4-3. Blitzes from that position on most downs, then will rush from DE on passing downs.

TitleTown088
02-15-2012, 07:26 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/139357998.html

Pack showing some interest in Bequette, which, of course, may mean nothing.

J-Mike88
02-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Even though his sack numbers were down he was just as good IMO. He found a way to make plays whilst he was being double teamed on every snap.
Definitely European English word there!
Clay played very well, but because the offenses were able to focus A LOT more on him this year with no OLB or Cullen Jenkins, he was neutralized from making a lot of game-changing sacks.

Think about 3rd down sacks. They mean punts.

EvilMonkey
02-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Clay was good, but he was not as good as the year before. Didn't have the burst. The sack numbers cant be looked at. The year before he got coverage sacks and also got sacks because of pressure up the middle. This year, he didn't get those coverage sacks and their was no pressure up the middle so the QB never got stuck in the pocket like the year before and could simply step up to avoid Clay. He was good and definitely was not a problem, but he didnt seem to have the same burst as the year before. I would much rather get DE and Secondary help than take a pass rusher super early.

SuperPacker
02-16-2012, 05:04 AM
Clay was good, but he was not as good as the year before. Didn't have the burst. The sack numbers cant be looked at. The year before he got coverage sacks and also got sacks because of pressure up the middle. This year, he didn't get those coverage sacks and their was no pressure up the middle so the QB never got stuck in the pocket like the year before and could simply step up to avoid Clay. He was good and definitely was not a problem, but he didnt seem to have the same burst as the year before. I would much rather get DE and Secondary help than take a pass rusher super early.

I definitely think the two main problems are DE and OLB. We have a good secondary but what do you expect it to do when the QB has all the time in the world. If we got a constant pass rush, which is what another DE and OLB would do, im sure the secondary would go back to being the best in the league. A healthy Collins, an improved Williams, Woodson making plays and Burnett and Shields showing promise. It all looks good back there. I do think we could do with some depth though.

TimmG6376
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM

Just to clarify I've seen some differing listing on Irvin's weight. 245 wouldn't be bad, but I've also seen him listed between 230-240. At 245 I'd still be comfortable drafting him but some teams may shy away.

Coincidentally JS just posted an article on Irvin:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/prospects-story-awaits-an-ending-3a47a8p-139412568.html

Says he watches film of Clay to get insight into playing the 3-4. I say take him and send him to workout with Clay Jr and Clay Sr.

TimmG6376
02-16-2012, 10:00 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/139357998.html

Pack showing some interest in Bequette, which, of course, may mean nothing.

Don't think it really means anything. Highsmith was there to watch his son. Though I'm sure scouts can't help but do what they do and he'll be very familiar with Bequette.

SuperPacker
02-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Don't think it really means anything. Highsmith was there to watch his son. Though I'm sure scouts can't help but do what they do and he'll be very familiar with Bequette.

He does seem like a Packer guy though. Im slowly falling in love with this guy.

J-Mike88
02-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Bequette?
Is he now a day 2 prospect?

SuperPacker
02-17-2012, 02:27 AM
Bequette?
Is he now a day 2 prospect?

Apparently so.

TitleTown088
02-17-2012, 07:31 AM
if you read it., it says he also met with TT amongst other things.

TimmG6376
02-17-2012, 08:19 AM
if you read it., it says he also met with TT amongst other things.

Yeah missed that part. I'm shocked Thompson was caught showing any interest in a player at the Senior Bowl. He must have lost a step ;)

CheeseKnuckles
02-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Packers Mock/Wishlist 2.0

Rd 1: Andre Branch OLB, Clemson

At 6’5 260, Branch definitely fits the size you are looking for in a ROLB. For a guy his size he can move really well. He is agile, has great closing speed, and a relentless motor. He had a game this season against VT where he tallied up 11 tackles, 6 TFL, and 4 sacks. This pick might not be popular with everyone, but depending on how many rush OLBs are on the board he may be a great pick. Hell I don’t think anyone had CM3 chalked up as a for sure round 1 talent… maybe Branch can be our next great OLB.

Alternate Pick: Peter Konz C, Wisconsin/Vinny Curry OLB, Marshall

Rd 2. Derek Wolfe DE, Cincinnati

IMO Wolfe could be a real suprise of this draft in the future. Hard working player who never takes a play off. In the few games I was able to watch I saw Wolfe being very distruptive time after time. I really hope he could fall into our lap. Wolfe has had an excellent senior season with 64 tackles, 19.5 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles and 9.5 sacks

Alternate pick: Markelle Martin S Oklahoma St/Casey Hayward CB, Vandy/Billy Winn DE, Boise St./Mike Martin DE, Michigan

Norman is 6'3 203 and really quick. I've read a couple things about Norman being the top prospect at the East/West shrine game and never letting WRs get any seperation there. Thompson likes his CBs to be 6'0 and I think we could use some size and toughness in the secondary

Alternate pick: Nick Jean-Baptiste NT, Baylor/ Brock Osweiler QB, ASU/Benard Pierce RB, Temple/Isaiah Peed RB, Cincinnati

In 2011 Guy had 120 tackes, 14 TFL, 2 passes broken up, 2 INTS, and 1 FF. At 6'1 216 Guy would bring a physical presence to the secondary as a 8th man in the box and maybe put some fear in WRs crossing the middle. Guy also has a pretty decent knack for the ball. The thing I like about most Guy is his willingness to tackle. In 2011 Guy had 8 games with double-digit tackles. Guy is literally one of my favorite players in the draft.

Alternate pick: Jamell Flemming CB, Oklahoma

Rd 5: Ethan Johnson DE, Norte Dame

Not sure if Johnson is worth the fifth round pick, but at 6’4 and 300lbs he could be worth the risk. He also has experience in a 3-4 defense where he had 5 sacks playing 3-4 DE.

Alternate pick: Russell Wilson QB, Wisconsin

Rd 6: Tashaun Gipson CB, Wyoming

6’0/196/4.4speed… why not.

Rd 7: Ryan Lewis OLB, Bethune-Cookman College

TT dips back into Bethune-Cookman College. I’ve heard a little bit about this kid. Just wondered if TT has checked into this guy.

I went heavy defense. If I had to guess TT will probably add some OLine depth at some point and possibly other offensive positions, but we need to upgrade our defense so I went this way. I did have some offensive players as my alternate picks though.

princefielder28
02-17-2012, 06:59 PM
I would be extremely happy with Branch, Wolfe, and Guy...Guy is actually in my Top 30 for this draft so for me he'd be a steal in the 4th

SuperPacker
02-17-2012, 07:01 PM
that would be very nice!

J-Mike88
02-17-2012, 08:19 PM
I'd sign off on that mock right now.
Plus we will get a few comp picks Teddy can take a TE or OL with. Maybe a QB.

SuperPacker
02-17-2012, 08:21 PM
oh yeah we should get quite a few comp picks! daryn college and cullen jenkins should get us two 5ths

CheeseKnuckles
02-17-2012, 09:27 PM
I would be extremely happy with Branch, Wolfe, and Guy...Guy is actually in my Top 30 for this draft so for me he'd be a steal in the 4th

I think once Guy performs at the combine his popularity will rise. The more I think about it he probably won't last till the 4th round.

SuperPacker
02-18-2012, 08:41 AM
I havent seen a lot of Guy but i'll take you guys' word for it (no pun intended)

J-Mike88
02-18-2012, 09:06 AM
How about Ted gives Capers a weapon or 2 BEFORE the draft gets here?

http://packersinsider.com/2012/02/before-the-draft-carriker-hughes-lawson-could-be-valuable-additions/

SuperPacker
02-18-2012, 10:08 AM
How about Ted gives Capers a weapon or 2 BEFORE the draft gets here?

http://packersinsider.com/2012/02/before-the-draft-carriker-hughes-lawson-could-be-valuable-additions/

dont get your hopes up

princefielder28
02-18-2012, 03:31 PM
I havent seen a lot of Guy but i'll take you guys' word for it (no pun intended)

I tweeted at Winston not too long ago and he replied saying he'd love to get back with Randall Cobb

SuperPacker
02-18-2012, 03:34 PM
I tweeted at Winston not too long ago and he replied saying he'd love to get back with Randall Cobb

that would be awesome but i suppose its up to TT.

J-Mike88
02-19-2012, 07:24 AM
dont get your hopes up
Good advice!
I never do anymore....... but then I start dreaming sometimes.... never about THE marquee guys but .....

CheeseKnuckles
02-19-2012, 05:37 PM
What are everybodies thoughts on Janoris Jenkins? If he falls to 28, would you be happy if he was drafted?

princefielder28
02-19-2012, 06:01 PM
What are everybodies thoughts on Janoris Jenkins? If he falls to 28, would you be happy if he was drafted?

His character concerns are too much for me...to get kicked out of a school like Florida you have to be quite the trouble maker and to add to it I think he's too undersized to be worthy of first round selection at that position

prock
02-19-2012, 06:08 PM
His character concerns are too much for me...to get kicked out of a school like Florida you have to be quite the trouble maker and to add to it I think he's too undersized to be worthy of first round selection at that position

Just ask Cam Newton.

SuperPacker
02-19-2012, 06:14 PM

I like him as a player but dont want the Packers to get him. Really dont. He does come across as a decent guy from the interview Scott had with him but i still would be wary of him because of his past. He wouldnt fit in here.

princefielder28
02-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Just ask Cam Newton.

Cam decided to transfer even after charges were dropped against him in the laptop incident while Jenkins was dismissed from the team...there is a difference obviously

SuperPacker
02-19-2012, 06:25 PM
just wondering, who is the Packers team leader? We dont seem to have one.

J-Mike88
02-19-2012, 07:04 PM
just wondering, who is the Packers team leader? We dont seem to have one.
Woodson.
Rodgers.
Driver.

SuperPacker
02-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Woodson.
Rodgers.
Driver.

I meant on the forum haha.

J-Mike88
02-20-2012, 07:15 PM
I meant on the forum haha.
PrinceFielder

J-Mike88
02-21-2012, 08:19 AM
We pick at #28. Probably about 10 guys they have ranked HIGHER than 28 WILL be available at our pick at 28, and about 10 guys they have lower than 28 will actually be gone before our pick.

So with that being said, here's the guys I hope we get one or two of between our first two picks, however they shape up with trade ups or downs.....

10. Melvin Ingram, DL-OLB, South Carolina -- Few defensive prospects raised their game and draft stock as Ingram did last season. He's a playmaker who stands out in almost every aspect of the defense, with his ability to make plays behind the line of scrimmage or out to the flanks.

12. Michael Brockers, DL, LSU* -- Brockers capped off a tremendous sophomore season with an awesome showing in the national title game. He's an explosive interior lineman who eats up blocks and collapses the pocket.

14. Fletcher Cox, DL, Mississippi State* -- Cox is one of the hidden values at the defensive line position. Scouts feel he's one of few available three-down defenders and offers the ability to play as many as four different positions on the defensive line.

15. Courtney Upshaw, DE-OLB, Alabama -- Upshaw was the feared pass-rusher in Alabama's suffocating defense, and scouts expect much the same from him at the next level. The lingering question is which position will Upshaw play at the next level, outside linebacker or defensive end? Or both?

20. Nick Perry, DE-OLB, USC* -- The Trojan underclassman is a pass-rushing terror who combines quickness and speed to harass opposing quarterbacks. He offers tremendous potential and can stand up over tackle or be used out of a three-point stance.

26. Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis* -- Poe is a massive defender who easily moves his body around the field, making plays behind the line of scrimmage or out to the flanks. He offers a tremendous amount of upside potential and has the ability to play in a variety of defensive systems.

31. Vinny Curry, DE-OLB, Marshall -- Curry harassed quarterbacks for three years playing at Marshall and is one of the best pass-rushers in this draft. He's athletic, fluid and exceptionally quick. Whether Curry lines up at outside linebacker or defensive end all depends on how fast he runs at the Combine.

32. Whitney Mercilus, DE-OLB, Illinois* -- Mercilus is yet another pass-rusher who graces the top part of the draft. He came out of nowhere in 2011 and was omnipresent behind the line of scrimmage. He's another prospect who projects to multiple positions in the defense.

36. Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson -- Thompson is the top player from a talented Clemson defense. He's a penetrating tackle who opponents struggle to stop from the snap of the ball. He's also well-liked by scouts for his ability to lead by example.

42. Andre Branch, DE-OLB, Clemson -- Branch is the next in a long line of athletic pass-rushers who have come from the Clemson program. He forcefully makes plays behind the line of scrimmage and easily chases the action in pursuit. Like many of his predecessors from the school, many question his every-down intensity.

47. Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State* -- The junior is an explosive interior lineman who consistently penetrates the line of scrimmage, then makes plays in the backfield. Worthy offers starting potential for the next level, but must attend to the details of his position and consistently play with proper mechanics.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/02/20/2012.nfl.draft.top.50.prospects/1.html

princefielder28
02-21-2012, 09:12 AM
From that list I would be comfortable with Fletcher Cox, Courtney Upshaw, Vinny Curry, and Andre Branch...I have to watch more on Brockers to get a gauge of where I really feel he stands and there is something about Melvin Ingram that I just don't like, at least not high in the draft...with the question marks on whether or not Scott Wells will be back, Peter Konz shoots to the top of the list for me

J-Mike88
02-21-2012, 04:13 PM
From that list I would be comfortable with Fletcher Cox, Courtney Upshaw, Vinny Curry, and Andre Branch...I have to watch more on Brockers to get a gauge of where I really feel he stands and there is something about Melvin Ingram that I just don't like, at least not high in the draft...with the question marks on whether or not Scott Wells will be back, Peter Konz shoots to the top of the list for me
I would absolutely be pissed off if we had to use our one premium pick to simply replace a current guy on the OL, and hope he plays just as well or close to as well as the previous guy.

We need to upgrade our defense with those premium picks.
Not fill a new hole on the OL.

That is, unless Ted utilizes free agency and upgrades the DL/OLB position with guys like Adam Carriker, Manny Lawson, maybe Jerry Hughes.

SuperPacker
02-21-2012, 04:18 PM
I would absolutely be pissed off if we had to use our one premium pick to simply replace a current guy on the OL, and hope he plays just as well or close to as well as the previous guy.

That is, unless Ted utilizes free agency and upgrades the DL/OLB position with guys like Adam Carriker, Manny Lawson, maybe Jerry Hughes.

^^^^^

Basically this.

princefielder28
02-21-2012, 05:03 PM

[b]That is, unless Ted utilizes free agency and upgrades the DL/OLB position with guys like Adam Carriker, Manny Lawson, maybe Jerry Hughes.
http://packersinsider.com/2012/02/before-the-draft-carriker-hughes-lawson-could-be-valuable-additions/[b]

There's a reason why those guys continue to bounce around or haven't seen the field on awful teams; they simply have no positive impact in this league...Lawson is the most appealing out of any of those three but he's more of a coverage backer than a pass rusher

J-Mike88
02-21-2012, 08:12 PM
There's a reason why those guys continue to bounce around or haven't seen the field on awful teams; they simply have no positive impact in this league...Lawson is the most appealing out of any of those three but he's more of a coverage backer than a pass rusher
Carriker had plenty of impact last year for the Redskins. His 5.5 sacks were almost as many as Clay had, and were as much as our whole DL combined.

People who watched the Redskins last year, on passing downs, noticed Carriker. We never had any DL do that.

If you don't think Carriker is a SIGNIFICAN UPGRADE to our current cast of DEs, than I know someone has hacked into princefielder28's account.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2012/adam-carriker-is-a-return-to-washington-redskins-in-the-cards/

“I know I’m a good enough player, somebody is going to want me,” said Carriker. “I’m going to start somewhere.”

After his first three and a half seasons in the league there weren’t many who would have agreed with that statement.

The first-round draft pick out of Nebraska wasn’t living up to expectations in St. Louis—and he knew it.

What many fans didn’t understand was Carriker was not playing his natural position. He was playing along the interior of the line at nose guard—a position not known for generating a high sack total. All the while, fans were still comparing his numbers to defensive ends around the league and he was coming up short in their eyes.

It wasn’t well publicized at the time, but he underwent offseason surgery after his rookie campaign.

Not wanting to disappoint his teammates or coaches, he rushed back and played hurt for the bulk of the 2008 season. By some estimates he was playing on one limb at points.

Missing the entire 2009 season due to injury didn’t help his cause with the fans or the front office.

The Rams decided it was time to go in another direction before 2010 and traded him to the Redskins in a modest deal. While the St. Louis fans and media celebrated the deal at the time, it was Carriker who would get the last laugh.

He entered 2010 with a new team looking to shed an old title.

“For a long time (my) name was associated with being a bust,” Carriker said. “I will be straight up honest. It was associated with being a bust.”

Since the trade Carriker has been able to largely accomplish putting distance between himself and the “bust” title. After what some described as a slow start to his first year in D.C., he turned around his fortunes and grew comfortable in the 3-4 defensive scheme. His numbers and performance were largely reflective of that.

“I never agreed with whatsoever, but the circumstances and all that are irrelevant because in the past two years I think I’ve proven that to be incorrect,” a confident Carriker said while still maintaining a strong semblance of humility. “I’ve heard people call me a [B]damn good 3-4 defensive end and I think that’s how people perceive me now. . . They were talking about both Stephen [Bowen] and I… ‘Those are a couple of damn good defensive ends they have.’ “

Bowen narrowly edged Carriker as sack leader on the defensive line this season.

But unlike Bowen, Carriker was able to notch his sacks while playing fewer downs. He was not part of the Redskins nickel package this season – the equivalent of 174 fewer pass rushes throughout the year.

“I’m going to keep dodging that question every time I’m asked,” he responded when I asked whether he wants to return to Washington. “The problem is I have to see how it plays out. If I say something, it could sway what another team does or sway what the Redskins do.”

“It could hurt me come contract time, trying to figure out where I’m going to be, what team I’m going to be with,” an honest Carriker added.

One thing is for certain; he is very comfortable as the left end in a 3-4 scheme. Carriker said it’s a tremendous help to be playing a position that actually makes sense.

“I’m not a nose guard,” he said. “I’m playing in the correct position.”
This guy can be had for a dime-to-the-dollar for someone with similar skills and size as him in this particular draft, and we already now see what he's capable of doing in the NFL as a 3-4 DE.

This just in: our WHOLE current crop of DE's were worthless going after QBs this year. He's 10x better than what we've seen in 2-3 years of CJ Wilson, Jarius Wynn, and Mike Neal.

jackalope
02-23-2012, 04:35 PM
After getting my first taste of watching Fletcher Cox, I'm a big fan. I'd be thrilled to land him at 28.

My ideal (highly unlikely) scenario would be to get Miami's 2nd round pick in exchange for Flynn, and use that to trade up for Upshaw.

princefielder28
02-23-2012, 05:18 PM
After getting my first taste of watching Fletcher Cox, I'm a big fan. I'd be thrilled to land him at 28.

My ideal (highly unlikely) scenario would be to get Miami's 2nd round pick in exchange for Flynn, and use that to trade up for Upshaw.

I'm a big fan of Fletcher Cox as well...his athleticism is outstanding for a guy his size and he's shown continual improvement as each year passes

J-Mike88
02-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Fletcher Cox will go closer to pick #10 than our #28 spot. I guarantee it.

Getting him at #28 is a pipe dream.

Luckily, as Capers said, this defensive scheme is predicated on getting outside pass rush from both OLB positions. He's made it clear he needs another OLB, and that in turn will open up the interior for things there to work.

Give us a premier OLB..... can you imagine if Matthews was our 2nd best OLB? Think about that for a second.....

CheeseKnuckles
02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
What are the chances the Packers franchise Matt Flynn and trade him to Miami for their second round pick?

That would give us picks 28, 41, and 60. I would be extremely happy with that.

Even better Trade them Flynn and our 28th pick for their 9th pick!

J-Mike88
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
What are the chances the Packers franchise Matt Flynn and trade him to Miami for their second round pick?

That would give us picks 28, 41, and 60. I would be extremely happy with that.

Even better Trade them Flynn and our 28th pick for their 9th pick!
I'd rather pick up 41 for Flynn than turn Flynn and our 28 into 9.
We can get 2 impact guys if we pick 28 and 41.

Chances are less than 40 percent that Ted tags and trades Flynn, I hear.
But the Philbin Miami connection is kind of an asterick.

jackalope
02-23-2012, 10:19 PM
I'd rather pick up 41 for Flynn than turn Flynn and our 28 into 9.
We can get 2 impact guys if we pick 28 and 41.

Chances are less than 40 percent that Ted tags and trades Flynn, I hear.
But the Philbin Miami connection is kind of an asterick.

Care to tell us where you hear this?

TimmG6376
02-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Irvin came in at 6'3" 245. Can't wait to see how he does in 3-cone and LB drills.

CheeseKnuckles
02-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Irvin came in at 6'3" 245. Can't wait to see how he does in 3-cone and LB drills.

I can't wait to see how Branch and Irvin perform. Hope both perform well. At this point I would like Branch over Irvin, but I would be happy with either.

J-Mike88
02-25-2012, 10:09 PM
From some scout talk. Seems that Upshaw is not thought of in those circles as high as fans think. They don't like Clemson guys anymore, LOL.
Didn't mention Irvin.
I just wanna get 2 or 3 of these guys in any combination, with Flynn netting us one of the guys. I love Minnifield.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draft-outlook-es4aae2-140451293.html

Melvin Ingram, DE-OLB, South Carolina: 6-1, 264. Played almost every D-line and LB position. "He's a little guy that's not explosive," one scout said. "I don't know where you play him. He's OK. He's not that good of an athlete." Played extensively off the bench for three seasons before starting as a senior. "If you line him up as an end in a 4-3 he's going to get blocked a lot," one scout said. "Outside backer in a 3-4 is probably the best starting point for him. He's got good temperament. He will bring something to your team from a toughness-intangible (standpoint). Is he an elite pass rusher? Absolutely not. Is he an elite run-down defender? Absolutely not. But he's a good football player who has to move around and play a bunch of different positions. A creative coach like (Bill) Belichick could do something with this guy." Finished with 21˝ sacks.

Fletcher Cox*, DT, Mississippi State: 6-4, 298. Started two of his three seasons, finishing with 8˝ sacks. "He's probably a pure 4-3 DT who can give you reps at DE," one scout said. "He's got the athletic ability to be a better pass rusher in the future than his numbers have indicated so far." Nicknamed "The Beast." Said another scout: "Guy can run all day. He's explosive, strong hands, good hips. He's country. He's hard. He looooves football."

Michael Brockers*, DT, Louisiana State: 6-7, 322. Played just two seasons before renouncing his final two years of eligibility. "Cox is a quicker-twitch guy than Brockers," one scout said. "Brockers can play 3-4 end or 4-3 DT. He's probably a little stouter against the run than Cox. Cox is probably a better athlete." Finished with two sacks. "He's a young kid and the light is just starting to go on," another scout said. "He hasn't even touched his ceiling yet. He's very powerful. He's a really good two-gapper. Occasionally, he's got a little bit of pass rush. Vonnie Holliday was a better athlete. This kid is bigger."

Dontari Poe*, NT, Memphis: 6-4, 346. Finished with five sacks in 35 games (30 starts). "He's probably the most athletic D-lineman in this draft over 300 pounds," one scout said. "He is phenomenally gifted with athleticism. He's not fat at all. Different level of competition. He has flashes of dominance. He's a well-spoken kid." Prototypical space-eater. "He has ability, OK?" another scout said. "I wouldn't say he can't move. You have to understand, that was a poor, poor team. That lad had very little help."

Devon Still, DT, Penn State: 6-5, 303. Built in imposing fashion a la Justin Harrell. "He has a lot of talent, but he's up and down," one scout said. "I don't understand that. I don't think it's lack of effort. He fits the 5-technique (DE in a 3-4), what you want them to look like." Two-year starter with 10˝ sacks. Art Still, his uncle, was a Pro Bowl DE for Kansas City in the 1980s. "He's a flash player," another scout said. "But down in, down out, he's a developmental guy."

Dont'a Hightower*, ILB-OLB, Alabama: 6-2, 265. Played ILB in the Crimson Tide's base 3-4 but often put his hand down and rushed on passing downs. "Does he flash big-time plays?" one scout said. "Yeah, he does. Does he dominate like a guy 6-3, 265 should? Not on a consistent basis." Blew out his knee in Game 4 of 2009 and, according to some scouts, has yet to play back to his old form. "He's got the ability of the guy the Raiders took (Rolando McClain)," another scout said. "Some people don't know how tough he is. The knock on him is if he really inserts. But he is strong. I've seen him take his hand and just stand up guards." He tried to power rush tackles and ended up with five sacks. "He's capable of playing outside (linebacker)," a third scout said. "He can do anything you ask him to do."

Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama: 6-1˝, 272. Projects as an OLB in a 3-4 or a strong-side LB in a 4-3. "The only reason Upshaw could go ahead of Ingram is because Upshaw actually played up and down and Ingram played all over the place," one scout said. "I don't think Upshaw was really outstanding in the Senior Bowl. I thought he was just ordinary. He's very physical, but he gets cut a lot. That's because he's stiff." Two-year starter with 16˝ sacks. "(People) think he's Cornelius Bennett and he's not," another scout said. "He's a good, tough, nasty college football player that I think will get blocked a lot in the NFL." Scored just 9 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "He's just a tough (expletive)," a third scout said. "He's really not a burn the edge guy. He is not fast. He's built like a fire hydrant. Maybe a 3-4 team will take him in the first."

Whitney Mercilus*, DE, Illinois: 6-4, 261. Didn't become a starter until 2011 and then broke out with 16 sacks. "He's a teaser," one scout said. "I don't know why he came out. He looks like a 4-3 DE to me. He doesn't do anything special." Trying to provide for his Haitian immigrant parents. "I think there's a degree of stiffness that will limit him," another scout said. "He's got the measurables and production. I just want to see him move like an athlete."

Nick Perry*, DE, Southern California: 6-3, 271. Played with his hand down for the Trojans unlike Clay Matthews, who almost always played standing up. Some scouts think he can play LB and others don't. "He's an undersized 4-3 DE," one scout said. "He's not as powerful as Trent Cole. He tries to finesse his way around guys." Two-year starter with 21˝ sacks. "He wore out Stanford's junior left tackle (Jonathan Martin)," another scout said. "He and Clay Matthews didn't play the same way. He's tall and linear built. Yeah, he can rush the passer."

Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska: 6-4, 279. Three-year starter who was lost for the season in Game 5 last fall with a torn pectoral muscle. "All about football," one scout said. "War daddy. Tough guy. Good enough athlete to play 5-technique (3-4 DE). Strong hands. Plays with pride. He's got some stiffness, but he's got enough flexibility to squeeze and control and go laterally and make plays." Finished with 20 sacks. "He does have a lot of sacks but he got a lot of them when (Ndamukong) Suh was there," another scout said. "He does play hard, I'll tell you what. This guy chases the ball all the time."

Vinny Curry, DE-OLB, Marshall: 6-3, 266.Three-year starter with 26˝ sacks. "Very, very talented football player," one scout said. "He may have a chance to stand up and be an outside linebacker. He's tough. The guy plays hard." Moved around rather well at the Senior Bowl when the coaches gave him a chance to play standing up.

Jerel Worthy*, DT, Michigan State: 6-2, 308. Often compared to DT Phil Taylor, who went 21st to Cleveland last year and had a successful rookie season. "He's got a ton of ability," one scout said. "He could be first round without any question. You just worry about guys that have ability and play lazy for most of their career. Because when they make money they're usually not very good. He's that kind of guy." Three-year starter with 12 sacks. "I didn't want to like the guy," another scout said. "But you know what? Guy's a pretty good player. He needs to be more consistent, but when he turns it up he can rush the passer."

Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson: 6-2, 314. Three-year starter with 4˝ sacks. "Short and square," one scout said. "Fits the 4-3 as a DT. I thought he was OK, not great. Kind of a meat and potatoes interior player." Hails from a program that seems to worry a lot of personnel people. "Those Clemson guys don't translate to the NFL very good," another scout said. "They just don't play well in the NFL."

Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticut: 6-4, 299. Probably best-suited to play 3-technique in a 4-3. Just doesn't seem stout enough to resist the run as a 3-4 DE. "He's more of a run-around guy," one scout said. "He's a better athlete than Brandon Thompson, but Thompson is stronger. He's got great ability, but he's soft. He can't fight through adversity. When (expletive) gets tough, he can't finish it out." Started 41 of 49 games, finishing with 11˝ sacks. "He's such an underachiever," another scout said. "He doesn't play up to his ability, but it's there. I think he gets overdrafted because of it."

Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington: 6-2˝, 348. Made himself a lot of money with a terrific week at the Senior Bowl. "You can't single-block him," one scout said. "He's athletic for his size." Started 42 of 50 games, finishing with 7˝ sacks. "He's very much like Paul Soliai of the Dolphins," another scout said. "He is a true space-eater. He didn't play like that (the Senior Bowl) all year. He did have a good Senior Bowl, he really did. He's got a big (expletive) and great big thick thighs on him."

Andre Branch, OLB, Clemson: 6-4, 259. Displayed major improvement as a senior when he posted 10˝ of his 17˝ sacks. "He's another teaser," one scout said. "He's got ability. But he's a lot of fluff is what I think." Seems capable of playing in 3-4 or 4-3 schemes. "Clemson always (expletive) me up," another scout said. "I don't trust those guys there."

Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia: 6-0, 187. His father, Frank, was a rugged little press CB for the Browns for nine years. "Other than Claiborne he's probably the smartest of all of them as far as instincts and awareness," one scout said. "I scouted his dad. He could possibly go first round. Depends how he runs." Played extensively for four seasons and intercepted 13 passes. "He's a consummate professional," another scout said. "He's an ideal Cover 2 corner. He kind of plays the game like his dad did. Speed, or lack thereof, will be his issue."

CheeseKnuckles
02-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Dang, none of the pass-rushers seem to be impressing the scouts. My favorite was Branch, but now I don't know what to think!

SuperPacker
02-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Nick Perry weighed in at 270 which isnt ideal for a 3-4 OLB. He said he would like to play in the 4-3 so he might not be too willing to move to OLB

bigboiajhawk
02-26-2012, 04:43 PM
The more I read about Olivier Vernon the more I want the Packers to draft him. He could be our 3rd round pick at OLB. 31 reps at 225. Also, the kid from Oklahoma had like 35 reps. I am interested to see how both of them run.

J-Mike88
02-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Nick Perry weighed in at 270 which isnt ideal for a 3-4 OLB. He said he would like to play in the 4-3 so he might not be too willing to move to OLB
Yeah I don't want the guy who says he prefers to play with his hand on the ground.
I want the guy who wants to stand up and hunt QBs ala Demarcus Ware, Von Miller, and Clay, Harrison, Woodley, etc.

bigboiajhawk
02-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Olivier Vernon Tape:

xNezgFO87Hw

J-Mike88
02-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Olivier Vernon Tape:

xNezgFO87Hw
I saw a lot of Erik Walden there...
Where are the highlights?
Great name though for a brutha.... Oliv-EE-AYYYYY

TimmG6376
02-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Don't know much about Olivier, but at this point my top two I think are Curry and Irvin in no particular order. I think both guys have the athleticism and work ethic Greene likes. IMO if you give Greene a guy with athleticism and the yearn to learn and you'll have a hell of a player.

Irvin may be raw but damn I think with some coaching he's going to be a terror off the edge.

I agree that if Perry is already stating he wants to play with his hand in the ground, steer clear of him.

TimmG6376
02-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Just saw Irvin on the NFLN stream. Even at 245 he looks lean. I think he could add more weight without losing much quickness. Though seems like he has it to spare.

CheeseKnuckles
02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
I didn't get to see Curry run but, right now if I had to rank my OLBs I'd go:

1.Curry
2.Irvin
3.Branch

Does anybody have CM3's 40 time and 10 yard split time? For comparisons.

TimmG6376
02-27-2012, 11:47 AM
CM3 in 2009
40yd : 4.67
10yd : 1.49
3cone : 6.90
reps@225 : 23
vert : 35.5
weight: 240

Did he really weigh-in at 240? I don't remember him being that light.

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 12:00 PM
CM3 in 2009
40yd : 4.67
10yd : 1.49
3cone : 6.90
reps@225 : 23
vert : 35.5
weight: 240

Did he really weigh-in at 240? I don't remember him being that light.

1.49 for his 10 yard split! **** thats explosive!

Vinny Curry 10 yard split was only 1.69ish if i remember correctly. Not that explosive tbh. I think he could out sprinted by Fletcher Cox for the first 10 yards.

TimmG6376
02-27-2012, 12:34 PM
1.49 for his 10 yard split! **** thats explosive!

Vinny Curry 10 yard split was only 1.69ish if i remember correctly. Not that explosive tbh. I think he could out sprinted by Fletcher Cox for the first 10 yards.

Keep in mind that Curry is doing that at 260+ and Matthews was apparently 240.

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Keep in mind that Curry is doing that at 260+ and Matthews was apparently 240.

And fletcher cox is like 290.

bigboiajhawk
02-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Well Olivier Vernon pretty much sucked at the 40...I absolutely do not want Bruce Irvin, he is alot like Curry in which he just runs up the field as fast as he can (which is very fast). Curry freaking sucked today. Ronnell Lewis did well for himself (35 reps at 225 and a 4.69ish 40). I am really thinking we go something other than OLB in the 1st round, unless Mercilus falls (but I am really unsure if Mercilus is a 3-4 OLB). Branch is okay, although I wonder about him and the Clemson stigma.

So the way I see it, we either draft Mercilus, Branch, or Lewis in Round 1, or we look elsewhere (DE or CB). Then in the 2nd round we might have a chance to pick up Lewis if we can trade up or get a nice high 2nd rounder for Flynn.

In addition, I would really like to see Derek Wolfe in a Packer uniform next season, and Dontari Poe and Fletcher Cox are no longer in consideration at pick 28.

CheeseKnuckles
02-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Well Olivier Vernon pretty much sucked at the 40...I absolutely do not want Bruce Irvin, he is alot like Curry in which he just runs up the field as fast as he can (which is very fast). Curry freaking sucked today. Ronnell Lewis did well for himself (35 reps at 225 and a 4.69ish 40). I am really thinking we go something other than OLB in the 1st round, unless Mercilus falls (but I am really unsure if Mercilus is a 3-4 OLB). Branch is okay, although I wonder about him and the Clemson stigma.

So the way I see it, we either draft Mercilus, Branch, or Lewis in Round 1, or we look elsewhere (DE or CB). Then in the 2nd round we might have a chance to pick up Lewis if we can trade up or get a nice high 2nd rounder for Flynn.

In addition, I would really like to see Derek Wolfe in a Packer uniform next season, and Dontari Poe and Fletcher Cox are no longer in consideration at pick 28.

I thought Ronnel Lewis looked stiff. Not to mention he must be dumber than a box or rocks considering he couldn't even play in his teams bowl game this season because of grades.

CM3s 10yd was insane!!! I think I would be happy with either Irvin or Curry. As far as Branch and the Clemson stigma goes... I think TT and company would have that evaluated through the interviewing process.

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Fletcher Cox and then a trade up for Branch/Irvin/Curry would be ideal!

bigboiajhawk
02-27-2012, 03:10 PM

If we got Fletcher Cox that would be an A+ for me.

On a side note, does anyone think that Trent Richardson will fall to like picks 10-15?

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 03:53 PM
If we got Fletcher Cox that would be an A+ for me.

On a side note, does anyone think that Trent Richardson will fall to like picks 10-15?

Yeah i think he will. Miami is probably the highest he'll and the Jets is probably the lowest, 8-16 range.

CheeseKnuckles
02-27-2012, 04:21 PM

AMEN! BROTHER!

princefielder28
02-27-2012, 04:33 PM

no way will Cox be in play for our first round pick...I think we could see him coming off the board as high as Carolina with Seattle and Dallas as teams that would be salivating at the possibility of taking him

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
no way will Cox be in play for our first round pick...I think we could see him coming off the board as high as Carolina with Seattle and Dallas as teams that would be salivating at the possibility of taking him

Thats what i was about to say haha. If Brockers go to Washington then Cox will be in Carolina.

princefielder28
02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Thats what i was about to say haha. If Brockers go to Washington then Cox will be in Carolina.

Cox will be off the board before Brockers...Cox has more versatilty, is more proven, more physically gifted and provides considerable more upside as a pass rusher

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Cox will be off the board before Brockers...Cox has more versatilty, is more proven, more physically gifted and provides considerable more upside as a pass rusher

Swap them round then. Cox to Washington and Brockers to Carolina? Maybe a bit high for Cox but still. The guy ran the same time as Quinton Coples, the so called "Julius Peppers" of this draft.

princefielder28
02-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Swap them round then. Cox to Washington and Brockers to Carolina? Maybe a bit high for Cox but still. The guy ran the same time as Quinton Coples, the so called "Julius Peppers" of this draft.

I don't see Brockers as a Top 10 or even Top 15 selection any longer...he's been touted as a raw kid with great athleticism and tremendous upside...the upside might be there but the combine showed that maybe he's not the athlete that most thought and the tape of his games where he's pretty much limited to being a run stuffer and not much of a pass rushing force is validated and concerning

TimmG6376
02-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Bruce Irvin numbers for comparison
6'3" 245
40yd: 4.5
10y : 1.53
20yshut : 4.03
3cone: 6.70
broadjump: 123.0
reps@225: : 23
vert: 33.5

This guy is incredibly raw. He stated in interviews that he's never been coached on how to be an edge rusher. What the hell were those coaches at WVU doing?