PDA

View Full Version : 10/25/11 - Mock Draft 2.0

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 03:14 PM
The second mock draft of the year is posted!

2012 Mock Draft - v.2.0
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions just like I do in the mock or risk being infracted.

Let's keep this thread fun and informative!

Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Shane and I are going to be breaking down the new mock draft on the podcast tonight.

If you have questions or comments that you'd like to hear us discuss, please post them at:

Questions / Comments for the Podcast
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49214

Feel free to call in (646-595-3017) and join us live on the air as well!

Babylon
10-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Just ok with the pick of Landry Jones to Seattle. Personally would rather have Matt Barkely and i guess we'll see what Pete thinks of him.

Am i the only person out there that thinks Barkely has a strong arm? because the consensus is he doesnt. Maybe my eyes are going bad on me.

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Am i the only person out there that thinks Barkely has a strong arm? because the consensus is he doesnt. Maybe my eyes are going bad on me.

I think Barkley has average arm strength, but it's more than enough to make all the throws.

WT01
10-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Just ok with the pick of Landry Jones to Seattle. Personally would rather have Matt Barkely and i guess we'll see what Pete thinks of him.

I don't think they'll take Jones either. He has almost no athleticism whatsoever and unlike Ryan Mallett last year, isn't far and away a better passer than any other QB for the Seahawks to change their view on QBs. (They prefer mobile QBs with big arms)

D-Unit
10-25-2011, 03:26 PM

I'm a USC homer and I've got to say... I wish his passes had more zip to them. I think he's got everything else you need to be successful and I've always believe in arm strength being the easiest thing to fix for a QB, so there would be nothing holding me back from making him a Top 3 pick. I wouldn't be concerned with arm strength enough to push him down my QB rankings if I needed a QB.

DeepThreat
10-25-2011, 03:27 PM
I would prefer Barkley to the Browns, but I can understand the logic behind the Coples pick. I'm not a fan of him, but defensive end is a need and he is currently valued in that general area.

Floyd makes sense.

princefielder28
10-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Upshaw is a great selection for Green Bay

Matthew Jones
10-25-2011, 03:30 PM
I see Brandon Thompson as being more of a one-gap player so I'm not a fan of the first Patriots pick. Someone recently compared him to Corey Liuget and that seems reasonable to me. Mohamed Sanu is possible but I hope Belichick knows that the main point of emphasis in this year's draft should be the defense. Passing on Manti Te'o, Jared Crick, and Courtney Upshaw (twice!) really hurts. I'd be furious if the draft went down like that.

RaiderNation
10-25-2011, 03:35 PM
I still have Barkley over Landry Jones, but do you think RG3 has a chance to go top 20 in the draft?

D-Unit
10-25-2011, 03:37 PM
If you decided to put Robert Griffin in the draft, who are the top 3 teams likely to take him based off where you think his draft value is and the teams picking in that range?

MaxV
10-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Scott, I agree with you that Colts have big needs in the secondary, but I think it would be a complete waste for a Cover-2 team to pick a CB in the top 5.

bucfan12
10-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Scott, I agree with you that the Bucs need an upgrade at WLB. But is it worth taking one in Round 1? They need a CB, WLB, SS, and RB in the worst ways. Why not go CB here, unless someone like Chase Minnfield or Donnie Fletcher a quality players in round 2 or 3?

After watching recent Tampa 2 WLBs bust like Curry, Sims; what do you see differently in Zach Brown?

D-Unit
10-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Scott, I agree with you that the Bucs need an upgrade at WLB. But is it worth taking one in Round 1? They need a CB, WLB, SS, and RB in the worst ways. Why not go CB here, unless someone like Chase Minnfield or Donnie Fletcher a quality players in round 2 or 3?

After watching recent Tampa 2 WLBs bust like Curry, Sims; what do you see differently in Zach Brown?
I'd like to know in which ways Brown is superior to Bruce Carter. I'm not trying to say he isn't...Ask any Cowboys fan, I'm not Carter's biggest fan. But if there is a difference, what is it?

keylime_5
10-25-2011, 03:46 PM
I keep finding myself putting Coples to Cleveland as well around that 8-12 range b/c of value. Not a huge need as compared to WR, RT, and CB with young Jabaal Sheard and Jayme Mitchell looking good there this season, though I could see the team adding a guy like Coples if they think he is an future pro bowl impact player that would complete the D-Line. I don't think it will happen though ultimately b/c Sheard is going to be the left end, so if they add another end it will be a guy that has the first step and explosiveness to play the weakside, but who knows. We didn't think they'd take a Phil Taylor type last year with pro bowl quality NT Ahtyba Rubin already on board yet they did and it works.

-Floyd to the Browns, love love love love love.

-Zach Brown is a beast. I could see a team like Philly falling in love with him to be the impact player they lack at linebacker, keeping Chaney in the middle.

-No RGIII :(

bucfan12
10-25-2011, 03:48 PM
I'd like to know in which ways Brown is superior to Bruce Carter. I'm not trying to say he isn't...Ask any Cowboys fan, I'm not Carter's biggest fan. But if there is a difference, what is it?

I'd like to know what makes Brown such a great pick over a CB like Alfonzo Dennard?

bucfan12
10-25-2011, 03:48 PM
I keep finding myself putting Coples to Cleveland as well around that 8-12 range b/c of value. Not a huge need as compared to WR, RT, and CB with young Jabaal Sheard and Jayme Mitchell looking good there this season, though I could see the team adding a guy like Coples if they think he is an future pro bowl impact player that would complete the D-Line. I don't think it will happen though ultimately b/c Sheard is going to be the left end, so if they add another end it will be a guy that has the first step and explosiveness to play the weakside, but who knows. We didn't think they'd take a Phil Taylor type last year with pro bowl quality NT Ahtyba Rubin already on board yet they did and it works.

Floyd to the Browns, love love love love love.

Honestl,y ithink Coples has bust written all over him.

Giantsfan1080
10-25-2011, 03:57 PM
The Giants picks makes as much sense as I can ever remember. If he's on the board I believe Reese will take Kuechly. Also, the Sanu to the Pats pick makes plenty of sense also. Belichick is very close to the Rutgers program and they could use a WR like Sanu. He seems to be a perfect fit for that offense.

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't think they'll take Jones either. He has almost no athleticism whatsoever and unlike Ryan Mallett last year, isn't far and away a better passer than any other QB for the Seahawks to change their view on QBs. (They prefer mobile QBs with big arms)

Jones isn't a Mallett-esque statue. In fact, he is more mobile than people think.

With that said, Barkley isn't exactly Michael Vick either.

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 04:05 PM
If you decided to put Robert Griffin in the draft, who are the top 3 teams likely to take him based off where you think his draft value is and the teams picking in that range?

Good Question! If I were to have Griffin in the first round, I'd say the three most likely suitors would be the Redskins, Browns and Bills. RG3 could be a real wild card in this draft.

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 04:07 PM

I agree that corner is a bigger need for the Bucs than linebacker is, but it came down to value. Dennard would be a good fit but is more of a borderline first rounder. Tampa could always come back and get a Chase Minnifield, who would also be perfect for them, in the second round.

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 04:08 PM

Ha, very similar type of prospects but the big difference is Brown is healthy whereas Carter had the knee issue. A healthy Carter would have been a Top 25 pick and I think that is where Brown will come off the board. One thing that I found interesting when doing the mock was how hard it is to fit Brown in. There just aren't many teams that run the scheme he is best suited for and the ones that do don't necessarily have a glaring need at the position. Then again, nobody thought Carter would be selected by a 3-4 team either so you never know.

bucfan12
10-25-2011, 04:09 PM
I agree that corner is a bigger need for the Bucs than linebacker is, but it came down to value. Dennard would be a good fit but is more of a borderline first rounder. Tampa could always come back and get a Chase Minnifield, who would also be perfect for them, in the second round.

I know you don't do trade downs, but WLB is a position that Raheem wouldn';t draft in round 1. Tampa probably needs 2 CBs and might double dip. Talib's regressed and might head to jail. Trading down for Dennard, who I think is the 2nd best CB behind Claiborn, and getting Minnfield in round 2 would be great for them.

RaiderNation
10-25-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't see how Carrol could pass up Barkley, Seattle needs a QB and having a prospect that you've coached already and know your system would be a easy pick to project IMO.

vidae
10-25-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't think we can pass on Barkley if he is there at 14. Taze is great and would really great next to DJ but the Cassel experiment is a failed one at this point and Barkley can sit behind Cassel for a year and learn the NFL game. It just makes too much sense. And to have Barkley fall to the mid of round one would be a steal for us.

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't think we can pass on Barkley if he is there at 14. Taze is great and would really great next to DJ but the Cassel experiment is a failed one at this point and Barkley can sit behind Cassel for a year and learn the NFL game. It just makes too much sense. And to have Barkley fall to the mid of round one would be a steal for us.

Honestly, I don't know if Pioli can afford to give up on Cassel and start over with a rookie quarterback. Even if he wanted to, which I don't think he does. I'd be awfully surprised if the Chiefs took a quarterback in round one this year. Burfict, Poe or Reiff are the most likely options.

DcmRulz
10-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Barkley does have good zip in a lot of his throws. I just get the feeling he doesn't quite know how much to put in some passes. (soft favre-like bombs, bullet passes to guys 3 yards in front, and some other strength-unsynched throws i notice) It's like a tone-deaf opera singer sometimes, but I believe that that's a flaw that can be coached (but he will need time and patience).

RCSooner
10-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm a little surprised to see Brandon Jenkins of FSU go in the first round, yet Ronnell Lewis isn't on there...

ElectricEye
10-25-2011, 04:26 PM
I see Brandon Thompson as being more of a one-gap player so I'm not a fan of the first Patriots pick. Someone recently compared him to Corey Liuget and that seems reasonable to me. Mohamed Sanu is possible but I hope Belichick knows that the main point of emphasis in this year's draft should be the defense. Passing on Manti Te'o, Jared Crick, and Courtney Upshaw (twice!) really hurts. I'd be furious if the draft went down like that.

I'm with you on this one. Sanu is a good pick and a guy who could help us(although I'm not entirely sure I don't prefer Dwight Jones or Kendall Wright down down in the draft), but Thompson just isn't a guy that appeals to be a whole heck of a lot. Te'o or Crick would be my preference there.

vidae
10-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Honestly, I don't know if Pioli can afford to give up on Cassel and start over with a rookie quarterback. Even if he wanted to, which I don't think he does. I'd be awfully surprised if the Chiefs took a quarterback in round one this year. Burfict, Poe or Reiff are the most likely options.

Cassel has already made most of his money from that contract he signed. At this point Pioli can't afford to pass on a franchise QB if one is staring him in the face. That was your rule, wasn't it? You don't pass on a franchise QB if you don't have one. Well, we don't have one. :)

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Cassel has already made most of his money from that contract he signed. At this point Pioli can't afford to pass on a franchise QB if one is staring him in the face. That was your rule, wasn't it? You don't pass on a franchise QB if you don't have one. Well, we don't have one. :)

I'm not ready to classify Matt Barkley as a franchise quarterback.

keylime_5
10-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Honestl,y ithink Coples has bust written all over him.

yeah, he is a physical specimen and a big, long, athletic guy....but I don't see him being the type of pass rusher that warrants as high of a pick as people are currently projecting him. Could be Jamaal Anderson 2.0.

Good Question! If I were to have Griffin in the first round, I'd say the three most likely suitors would be the Redskins, Browns and Bills. RG3 could be a real wild card in this draft.

/crosses fingers and hopes. could be Holmgren's new steve young in cleveland.

The Giants picks makes as much sense as I can ever remember. If he's on the board I believe Reese will take Kuechly.

Personally I think Kuechly is a bit overrated. He's not a thumper, and he's not a really athletic guy with great range that can play sideline to sideline in the NFL IMO. His strengths are his instincts and open field tackling ability. Don't get me wrong he'll start in the NFL for a long time, but he's not athletic enough to play anywhere but the inside and he can get pushed around if he's not protected.

Basileus777
10-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm not really sure the Chiefs need to invest a 1st round pick in an ILB with the way Derrick Johnson is playing right now. DJ has been great and they run so many sub-packages on passing downs that I don't know if they should go that direction.

vidae
10-25-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm not really sure the Chiefs need to invest a 1st round pick in an ILB with the way Derrick Johnson is playing right now. DJ has been great and they run so many sub-packages on passing downs that I don't know if they should go that direction.

I agree and Belcher does need to be replaced, but not when there is a QB sitting there. We can go ILB in round2.

TheSlinger
10-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Even if you think Jeffery is the best value at #7 talent-wise (I don't) it's hard to see the Jags taking a WR who can't stay in shape. I would look at Martin or Kirkpatrick there and expect them to target at least one WR in the 2nd and/or 3rd.

shylo3716
10-25-2011, 04:51 PM
As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions just like I do in the mock or risk being infracted.

Since Lamar Miller did not make it into your mock, what factors kept him out?

EvilNixon
10-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Massaquoi and I played on the same high school football team (Central Gwinett)

the guy is an effing athletic specimen. Not very strong up top though.

shylo3716
10-25-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't see how Carrol could pass up Barkley, Seattle needs a QB and having a prospect that you've coached already and know your system would be a easy pick to project IMO.

Carroll obtaining Barkley is no different than being a coaches son. Barkley already has the knowledge of what Carroll would try to pass on to another QB prospect. Why not go with a guy who has 1 up on every other QB prospect in the aspect of knowing the system.

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Carroll obtaining Barkley is no different than being a coaches son. Barkley already has the knowledge of what Carroll would try to pass on to another QB prospect. Why not go with a guy who has 1 up on every other QB prospect in the aspect of knowing the system.

Carroll has passed on plenty of USC prospects the past couple of years.

shylo3716
10-25-2011, 05:17 PM

I think the QB position would be a different scenario in this case.

FSUFan45
10-25-2011, 05:36 PM
I just don't understand the Landry Jones love at all. The guy wilts under pressure. He's very inaccurate a times and you can't overlook his road struggles. How can a guy be a good NFL QB when he's god awful on the road?

TACKLE
10-25-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm not trying to be the guy who overvalues draft picks and says "we won't take player x in the 1st because he took player y at the same position last year in the 6th round".

however........Pernell McPhee has looked excellent in a limited role this year. The same could be said about Art Jones as well when they use him as a DT inside in a 40 type front. Not saying that they wouldn't go with Crick in that scenario as this time a year ago they were lacking young talent and depth on the D-Line, but that no longer seems to be an issue.

bored of education
10-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Dear Mr. Wright

Interesting mock overall Scott. I am wondering about Pioll's long term possibility in KC along with Haley. Haley will be entering his final year of his contract next year. Pioli will not want a lame duck HC because that means he needs to start over or he is gone as well. So, regardless of keeping Haley or firing him (and him keeping his job) what needs to happen in KC? I assume the Chiefs end up with 6 or 7 wins and Haley does enough to be granted an extension. If that happens the Chiefs will need to do something BIG. What would that be? Cassel has two years left on his deal after this year, I think he goes one more year, then he is cut going into his final year.

I just see the Chiefs addressing QB situation in some for or fashion. Making a splash all in to move up for someone or in the case you present drafting a QB. Am I over analyzing the overall picture in KC, I don't think so. Not much can be made for Pioli's and Haley's tenure. An AFC west championship is ok. The only thing preventing them from Contendership is a QB.

ILB, RT, and NT are the major needs other than QB.

I like some of your other picks though. Quite a bit actually, you have already seen my liking of Poe via Twitter. I think he can play 5 tech or NT, probably best suited NT.

Hines
10-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Te'o to Pittsburgh is dreamy.

Basileus777
10-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Pioli will not want a lame duck HC because that means he needs to start over or he is gone as well.

This is simply false. Pioli's job is completely secure for now, Hunt isn't going to fire him because of Haley.

I'm not sure how ILB is a great need. Belcher is a decent run stuffer and considering he comes out in sub packages, I'm not sure why we need to invest a high draft pick in a ILB when they would be a situational player as long as we have Derrick Johnson.

bored of education
10-25-2011, 05:56 PM
This is simply false. Pioli's job is completely secure for now, Hunt isn't going to fire him because of Haley.

I'm not sure how ILB is a great need. Belcher is a decent run stuffer and considering he comes out in sub packages, I'm not sure why we need to invest a high draft pick in a ILB when they would be a situational player as long as we have Derrick Johnson.

I dont think it is, Pioli will need to prove something soon and using Haley as the scapegoat won't suffice. But anyways if Haley is extended or fired something big needs to happen. A franchise changing decision.

RaiderNation
10-25-2011, 05:58 PM

Carrol had a good relationship with Barkley and I just can't see him passing up a guy he praised while at USC. I am higher on Barkley than most though, I have him as a top 5 prospect.

nepg
10-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Dear Mr. Wright

Interesting mock overall Scott. I am wondering about Pioll's long term possibility in KC along with Haley. Haley will be entering his final year of his contract next year. Pioli will not want a lame duck HC because that means he needs to start over or he is gone as well. So, regardless of keeping Haley or firing him (and him keeping his job) what needs to happen in KC? I assume the Chiefs end up with 6 or 7 wins and Haley does enough to be granted an extension. If that happens the Chiefs will need to do something BIG. What would that be? Cassel has two years left on his deal after this year, I think he goes one more year, then he is cut going into his final year.

I just see the Chiefs addressing QB situation in some for or fashion. Making a splash all in to move up for someone or in the case you present drafting a QB. Am I over analyzing the overall picture in KC, I don't think so. Not much can be made for Pioli's and Haley's tenure. An AFC west championship is ok. The only thing preventing them from Contendership is a QB.

ILB, RT, and NT are the major needs other than QB.

I like some of your other picks though. Quite a bit actually, you have already seen my liking of Poe via Twitter. I think he can play 5 tech or NT, probably best suited NT.
Pioli's not worried about his job in the slightest bit. And I don't think they'll can Haley for one perceived mistake that occurred in a situation that likely will never happen again (no off-season).

Pioli has to do something soon? Like what? Win the AFC West? Oohhh.... There were Pioli v. Haley grumblings early in the year because of the contrasting way Haley handled the off-season compared to the other coaches and the horrible losses that resulted from it in the first two weeks. In the last three games (hell, 4), though, we've seen the Chiefs able to finish games with ease while their opponents gasped for air.

Burfict is the ideal pick in that scenario and is definitely a "big splash" pick, if you really need that for your own sake. You can't replace Belcher in the second round because he's a solid player, but if you can get a guy like Burfict - amazing. They'll look at Trent Richardson and Dwayne Allen should also be under consideration. The Chiefs likely won't draft a QB at all let alone in the first round. They're happy with Cassel (and should be), they're happy with Stanzi, and the only wild card is whether they want to go with a 2 QB roster or keep Palko around.

Basileus777
10-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I dont think it is, Pioli will need to prove something soon and using Haley as the scapegoat won't suffice. But anyways if Haley is extended or fired something big needs to happen. A franchise changing decision.

The Hunts don't work that way though. If Pioli worked for some other team you'd have a point, but this is a franchise that gave Carl Peterson 19 years.

Leon Sandcastle
10-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Even if you think Jeffery is the best value at #7 talent-wise (I don't) it's hard to see the Jags taking a WR who can't stay in shape. I would look at Martin or Kirkpatrick there and expect them to target at least one WR in the 2nd and/or 3rd.

What happened to Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton?

As a Bills fan I wouldn't be mad at Riley Reiff even though our OL has been the best in the NFL thus far.

Demetrius Bell, Erik Pears have been excellent on the edges but they're both UFA's and our rookie Chris Hairston has played great in limited time.

The rebuilding process is a year ahead of schedule but we still need an eventual Franchise QB, a big play/deep threat WR, a vertical threat at TE, OL, DL depth, 2 pass rush demons and a shut down corner.

We can go anywhere with this draft.

D-Unit
10-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Ha, very similar type of prospects but the big difference is Brown is healthy whereas Carter had the knee issue. A healthy Carter would have been a Top 25 pick and I think that is where Brown will come off the board. One thing that I found interesting when doing the mock was how hard it is to fit Brown in. There just aren't many teams that run the scheme he is best suited for and the ones that do don't necessarily have a glaring need at the position. Then again, nobody thought Carter would be selected by a 3-4 team either so you never know.
Yeah, I was especially surprised when we drafted him. I thought he was strictly a 4-3 LB. Thanks for the response.

Go_Eagles77
10-25-2011, 06:12 PM
If Robert Griffin declares, do you see Philly as a possible destination for him? I can't think of a better long-term solution at QB for the eagles.

D-Unit
10-25-2011, 06:54 PM
No Mike Brewster in Round 1. How long does he last in the 2nd? Could he reach the Cowboys?

Does Peter Konz get a first round grade?

D-Unit
10-25-2011, 06:58 PM
If Robert Griffin declares, do you see Philly as a possible destination for him? I can't think of a better long-term solution at QB for the eagles.
Odds seem unlikely for the Eagles to draft a QB in Round 1. If they do... my how things change so quickly.

ElectricEye
10-25-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm curious about what you think of the type of year Andre Branch is having Scott. I was all about him being overrated in years past, but he's really putting together a nice season so far, even beyond the sack numbers. Should end up with well over double digit sacks and quite a few tackles for a loss too. He's been very active other than rushing the passer too, leading Clemson in total tackles. Seems like he could end up in the first round mix again if he finishes the year strong and tests well.

Duffman57
10-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Massaquoi over Upshaw?

Thats an interesting one, what made you have that?

shylo3716
10-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Odds seem unlikely for the Eagles to draft a QB in Round 1. If they do... my how things change so quickly.

Vince Young will not be there after the season & if RG3 declares, Young still won't be there after the season.

Brown Leader
10-25-2011, 07:08 PM
I would prefer Barkley to the Browns, but I can understand the logic behind the Coples pick. I'm not a fan of him, but defensive end is a need and he is currently valued in that general area.

Floyd makes sense.

-Floyd to the Browns, love love love love love.

As first year starters, Mitchell and Sheard have been very steady at DE. There is a need for depth but I don't see Coples as the kind of prospect that can't be passed on. As McCoy gets progressively worse, it's looking more and more like a QB in the first round.

Sort of agree on Floyd. After passing on Dez I feel like Holmgren/Heckert won't want to pass up another talented WR with off field baggage that drops their stock from where they ought to go-although Floyd's issues are more serious. So at the same time I could see WR addressed later on with what looks like a deep class. That would allow them to hit the O line in the first round.

Don't forget Tannehill. If Ponder and Gabbert can go in the first, so can he.

CashmoneyDrew
10-25-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm open to drafting pretty much any impact player after Sunday's debacle.

GloryDaysRBack
10-25-2011, 07:41 PM
strengths and weaknesses on peter konz..

Go_Eagles77
10-25-2011, 07:48 PM

I can totally see the eagles drafting a QB in the top 2 rounds and having him sit behind Vick for about 2 years. Griffin would be the perfect understudy to Vick and a great fit in Reid's offense, assuming Reid is still there.

CMR#20
10-25-2011, 07:58 PM
I called in and you didn't get to my question. So my question was why did you mock Brandon Thompson to the Patriots Scott?

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Since Lamar Miller did not make it into your mock, what factors kept him out?

I think Miller has first round potential, but right now he is kind of in that mix with a handful of other underclassmen and we'll have to see who separates themselves down the stretch. Also, there just aren't many teams with glaring needs at the running back position.

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Barring something unforeseen, I'd be shocked if the Eagles took a quarterback in the early rounds. Vick is locked up long-term and they love Mike Kafka.

Scott Wright
10-25-2011, 08:08 PM
I called in and you didn't get to my question. So my question was why did you mock Brandon Thompson to the Patriots Scott?

Sorry we didn't get to your question, I must have missed the call on the sound board!

I think Brandon Thompson would be a great fit for New England.

The Pats need to get younger and more talented on their defensive line and Thompson can multiples position and in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. When the Patriots run an odd front Thompson can play the five-technique and when they go to an even look they can put him inside next to Wilfork as the three-technique. I think Thompson would just give the Pats a lot of options and as we all know Bill Belichick places a huge emphasis on versatility.

Mac
10-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Assuming Bell is re-signed, there is no reason whatsoever for the Bills to spend a 1st rounder on a RT. Pears has played great, and Hairston pretty much shut down Osi last week before he got injured with an ankle injury.

O-line is the least of our problems, maybe there will be a mid-rounder depth pick spent there but nothing more than that.

OLB is a HUGE need, we need probably 2 starters at those positions.

Other than that a CB, TE, WR, are other possibilities

Caulibflower
10-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Seattle always gets mocked the lamest ******* picks. And then their actual picks are even worse.

Also, I don't think they'll be picking at #5. With a healthy Tarvaris, and assuming the defense keeps playing solid, they could still get 6 or 7 wins.

Edit: don't really know who I'd rather have at #5, though, if that were the case. Landry Jones does nothing for me. Neither does Barkley. Not a fan of this year's QB class outside of Luck, and Griffin's a bit intriguing. I might rather just take Blackmon. Or just whoever they have rated as BPA. I don't like drafting QBs in the first unless I have a really good feeling about them.

Unbiased
10-25-2011, 08:48 PM

As a Bills fan I wouldn't be mad at Riley Reiff even though our OL has been the best in the NFL thus far.

Demetrius Bell, Erik Pears have been excellent on the edges but they're both UFA's and our rookie Chris Hairston has played great in limited time.

The rebuilding process is a year ahead of schedule but we still need an eventual Franchise QB, a big play/deep threat WR, a vertical threat at TE, OL, DL depth, 2 pass rush demons and a shut down corner.

We can go anywhere with this draft.
To answer your question, Monroe's fine but Britton can't stay healthy. Martin's a BPA pick there.

Dallas357
10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
i'll be pissed off if the jaguars draft alshon. Unfortunately the Jaguars have too good a defense to finish in the top 10 to get blackmon.

rawdawg
10-25-2011, 09:03 PM
What was the draft order based on? The Bears right now are the 6th seed in the NFC. And I think at worst, they pick in the 2nd half of the 1st round, likely in the 20s. Cowboys, Eagles and Bucs who the Bears just beat picking after them?

Also, the DeCastro pick is really good. I'd love him on the Bears. But if the Bears are picking with Michael Floyd on the board, I'd guess they'd pick him. The Bears are pretty good at getting their top need. When they were desperate for OTs they picked Williams, and then Carimi. When they were desperate for a S, they drafted Major Wright. Even back to the choices of Urlacher and Tommie Harris, when the Bears have had a distinct need they have managed to fill that position. Whether it has worked out or not is a different story. I think with Chris Williams, Chris Spencer, Lance Louis, and potentially re-signing Garza, that the Bears will go WR first unless they get a steal. They brought in Roy Williams to start. He's going to be gone. They need to replace him with a WR with some size. I think they will feel they can get by at OG, maybe drafting a guy to compete in the 2nd or 3rd.

Sorry, a little wordy. In short, "love the pick", "hate the slot", "realistically, I think Bears go elsewhere"

TheSlinger
10-25-2011, 09:03 PM

Both are okay but neither has lit the world on fire. Both have had injury issues, especially Britton. Plus, Britton can play inside (he's already played LG this year) so if you can get a stud LT like Martin, move Monroe to RT and move Britton inside that would be a great fit. Also, GM Gene likes BAP, premium positions and big guys so an LT in the first would fit his philosophy perfectly.

Menardo75
10-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Dennard is a great pick I am still wondering why people think the 49ers need d-line help.

Ozzy
10-25-2011, 09:22 PM
First off, I really really doubt Vontaze Burfict goes that high, an ILB? Especially when Te'o is arguably more consistent as a player. If James Laurinaitis and Rey Maualuga dropped to the second round, and Laurinaitis was by far a better ILB prospect overall through his entire college career than Burfict is, how he gets drafted that high I do not know.

Also debatable that Hightower is not a 1st round pick, especially with his improved play this year. TJ McDonald, being the best safety possible, if he comes out, I would have a hard time picking any safety over him.

Landry Jones or Barkley, I would simply never do, Barkley has more tools and is much more of a pro style quarterback. Sure Jones has his supposed "accuracy" but still I question how legit the quarterbacks are coming out of that Oklahoma offense where everyone is wildly successful.

No DaJohn Harris or Devin Still is a surprise, much less no Dwayne Allen, a freak of an athlete at tight end. But yes few teams need a tight end, sad for him because he is a 1st round talent. And Tyler Eifert is a 1st rounder as well, but who knows if he goes out or not.

Nice to see Claiborne getting the love, I would guess to most, it is a given he gets drafted as the 1st corner off the board. Great tackler, and has big time athletic ability.

Could work out great for the Colts, get Foles or Tannehill second round, what could be better potentially. Good call on Kalil, guess it would be dumb for them to take a QB in the 1st round, but what if they get the 1st pick and get Luck, then they have a major issue to figure out...

T-RICH49
10-25-2011, 10:50 PM

what he said

T-RICH49
10-25-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm not ready to classify Matt Barkley as a franchise quarterback.

compared to Cassel...Barkley is a franchise QB

TonyGfortheTD
10-26-2011, 02:54 AM
compared to Cassel...Barkley is a franchise QB

Compared to Cassel, Chad Henne is a franchise QB. I disagree with the passing on Barkey decision, but the actual pick wasn't a bad one. Burfict would be a good selection if you go off the QB trail.

Caulibflower
10-26-2011, 03:14 AM
If you think the need at quarterback is severe enough to force us to draft one this year, can the Seahawks please have Robert Griffin III at #5, instead of Landry Jones?

M.O.T.H.
10-26-2011, 03:33 AM
I'm almost always down for safety early, and I have no problem with Barron...that said, our safety play has actually been pretty damn good this year with Sensabaugh and Elam. Elam in particular, is playing some really good football right now. My major concern with this team is at G, and in this scenario, Cordy Glenn is there for the taking. He'd be perfect for Dallas. Our interior offensive line is the weakest part of this football team right now.

holt_bruce81
10-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Hate the rams pick.

Bradford is in desperate need of a #1 receiver, a true #1. Rams have 3 solid corners already on the team, I don't think its that big of a need.

Matthew Jones
10-26-2011, 05:50 AM
Sorry we didn't get to your question, I must have missed the call on the sound board!

I think Brandon Thompson would be a great fit for New England.

The Pats need to get younger and more talented on their defensive line and Thompson can multiples position and in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. When the Patriots run an odd front Thompson can play the five-technique and when they go to an even look they can put him inside next to Wilfork as the three-technique. I think Thompson would just give the Pats a lot of options and as we all know Bill Belichick places a huge emphasis on versatility.

I think you're vastly oversimplifying what it takes to be a five-technique in Belichick's eyes. Like you said, Thompson is more of a three-technique, while the Patriots' five-techniques are not expected to provide a pass rush but simply to occupy double teams and control two gaps in the run game. Also keep in mind that New England traded for Albert Haynesworth to play the three-technique in sub packages and will pay him about $7 million next season. He has been very disruptive in limited snaps this season. Defensive tackle is a position of depth on the team, with Myron Pryor and Kyle Love as promising young players as well as Ron Brace and Brandon Deaderick on the PUP list. Defensive tackle is one of the deepest, strongest positions on the roster.

nepg
10-26-2011, 06:01 AM
For the Pats... I absolutely hate Sanu. WRs who have crappy YACs in college don't work out in the NFL. Especially not when the WRs game is on the outside. Stats DO matter. I don't care who is QB is, that is a telling stat and we all know it.

I don't know why you love Clemson players so much. You insanely overrate a Clemson defensive lineman every year. The Pats are running a 4-3 this year because they didn't have time to get players up to speed on their 3-4...so they are running a hybrid system this year and are expected to go back to their odd front base in 2012.

Scott Wright
10-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Hate the rams pick.

Bradford is in desperate need of a #1 receiver, a true #1. Rams have 3 solid corners already on the team, I don't think its that big of a need.

Wideout really isn't a need for the Rams anymore.

They have Brandon Lloyd, who has excelled under Josh McDaniels, Danny Amendola, just spent premium draft picks on Austin Pettis and Greg Salas, etc.

Giantsfan1080
10-26-2011, 12:07 PM
For the Pats... I absolutely hate Sanu. WRs who have crappy YACs in college don't work out in the NFL. Especially not when the WRs game is on the outside. Stats DO matter. I don't care who is QB is, that is a telling stat and we all know it.

I don't know why you love Clemson players so much. You insanely overrate a Clemson defensive lineman every year. The Pats are running a 4-3 this year because they didn't have time to get players up to speed on their 3-4...so they are running a hybrid system this year and are expected to go back to their odd front base in 2012.

We don't have Sanu run deep routes so his YAC is really a matter of the offense we've been running so far. He is more of a possesion guy but he can absolutely be a deep threat as well. Don't get caught up in that number.

Hurricanes25
10-26-2011, 12:09 PM
We don't have Sanu run deep routes so his YAC is really a matter of the offense we've been running so far. He is more of a possesion guy but he can absolutely be a deep threat as well. Don't get caught up in that number.

Yeah, I agree. Sanu does a lot of the tough work over the middle, usually shorter and intermediate routes. He's never really put in a position where he's able to break off huge runs after the catch.

A Perfect Score
10-26-2011, 01:00 PM

They have Brandon Lloyd, who has excelled under Josh McDaniels, Danny Amendola, just spent premium draft picks on Austin Pettis and Greg Salas, etc.

I've gotta disagree with this Scott. After watching a few Rams games this year, there is a whole hell of a lot wrong in the WR corps down there. Even with Lloyd, who is a UFA after this season, that stable of WRs just plain sucks. I actually felt sorry for Sam Bradford when I was watching the games...on the rare play where the receivers did get some separation and get open, the odds of them dropping the pass was pretty high.

And ehhhh on the Ravens pick. Crick seems like someone we'd draft, but we have much bigger issues along the offensive line and in our LB core. I'd like to see us add an impact ILB or hell, anywhere along the offensive line. Kulechy as a Raven makes my mouth water.

Scott Wright
10-26-2011, 01:11 PM
I've gotta disagree with this Scott. After watching a few Rams games this year, there is a whole hell of a lot wrong in the WR corps down there. Even with Lloyd, who is a UFA after this season, that stable of WRs just plain sucks. I actually felt sorry for Sam Bradford when I was watching the games...on the rare play where the receivers did get some separation and get open, the odds of them dropping the pass was pretty high.

And ehhhh on the Ravens pick. Crick seems like someone we'd draft, but we have much bigger issues along the offensive line and in our LB core. I'd like to see us add an impact ILB or hell, anywhere along the offensive line. Kulechy as a Raven makes my mouth water.

Believe me, I wouldn't be happy with my wideout situation if I were the Rams.

However, they are going to re-sign Lloyd because nobody else is going to value him as much as St. Louis. Plus Lloyd will likely want to stick near McDaniels. Then you have Amendola, who they like and has been surprisingly productive. Then you also have to factor in the guys they just drafted and obviously like in Pettis and Salas. So that is four deep right there and the list doesn't even include Brandon Gibson and Danario Alexander, who have been starting for the Rams at times this year. There just isn't room in St. Louis for a Top 5 pick at wide receiver.

Giantsfan1080
10-26-2011, 01:35 PM
The Rams are run worse than I thought if you really think they'll pass on a top 5 WR for the likes of Lloyd, Amendola, Salas, Pettis, etc. Since when does mediocre depth stop you from taking a potential All Pro? The Giants have plenty of mediocre depth at LB but I'd be mad if we passed on a more talented LB just because we have other guys there. You should always be looking to improve and Blackmon or Jeffrey or Floyd are all much better than what the Rams currently have.

Scott Wright
10-26-2011, 01:53 PM
The Rams are run worse than I thought if you really think they'll pass on a top 5 WR for the likes of Lloyd, Amendola, Salas, Pettis, etc. Since when does mediocre depth stop you from taking a potential All Pro? The Giants have plenty of mediocre depth at LB but I'd be mad if we passed on a more talented LB just because we have other guys there. You should always be looking to improve and Blackmon or Jeffrey or Floyd are all much better than what the Rams currently have.

Some NFL teams do dumb things.

Exhibit A: Washington going into a season with Rex Grossman & John Beck.

Giantsfan1080
10-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Well I certainly can't argue with you on that one.

CC.SD
10-26-2011, 01:57 PM
St. Louis is in awful shape in too many other places to take a wideout. They don't have time to wait for a position that tends toward slow development when they've finished with 4 top 2 picks in the last few years.

I feel the same way about CB as well. Really they are in a bad spot, shades of the Hill pick if they take a CB. I hope they win a few games so they can justify taking a badass defender that isn't projected to be a crappy shadow of his father.

K Train
10-26-2011, 05:31 PM
id be having a draft induced stroke waiting for them to choose between teo and dennard

Duffman57
10-26-2011, 05:57 PM
I still dont understand why Massaquoi over Upshaw. I wouldve thought Upshaws play wouldve garnered a better pick than Massaquoi who looks like hes struggling and from the little that ive seen, has HORRIBLE instincts.

Scott Wright
10-26-2011, 07:39 PM
I still dont understand why Massaquoi over Upshaw. I wouldve thought Upshaws play wouldve garnered a better pick than Massaquoi who looks like hes struggling and from the little that ive seen, has HORRIBLE instincts.

I like Upshaw, but he isn't as highly thought of by scouts as he is by draftniks.

In fact, there is a very good chance Upshaw won't be selected in round one.

holt_bruce81
10-26-2011, 07:56 PM

Yeah but Lloyd is a free agent at seasons end and in his 30's, And the other three guys are pretty much the same receiver. Great hands, tough, will fight for extra yards but none of them have the potential to take over a game. Something the Rams have been missing since Torry Holt.

I just think if your going to pay your franchise Quarterback 50 million.....you should get him some nice toys. Heck, I wouldn't even mind Trent Richardson right there, not saying that would be my first choice but Steven Jackson will be 29 next year and we all know what happens to most running backs when they hit that 30 mark, especially a runner like Steven, who's taken a beating over his career.

jayceheathman
10-26-2011, 08:40 PM
The Texans never take defensive linemen in the first round so that won't be happening in 2012. haha

Caulibflower
10-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Denard Robinson would add a really exciting dimension to the Steelers offense. He could line up as a receiver and motion into handoffs and passing plays. He'd be good for 4 or 5 touchdowns a year and really affect how defenses played the Steelers. And he could probably return kicks. That's worth a 1st-round pick. The Steelers might have the fastest combination of two players in the NFL if they did that.

http://s.sk-gaming.com/image/member/9/409d7327616993f0l.jpg

jayceheathman
10-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Denard Robinson would add a really exciting dimension to the Steelers offense. He could line up as a receiver and motion into handoffs and passing plays. He'd be good for 4 or 5 touchdowns a year and really affect how defenses played the Steelers. And he could probably return kicks. That's worth a 1st-round pick. The Steelers might have the fastest combination of two players in the NFL if they did that.

http://s.sk-gaming.com/image/member/9/409d7327616993f0l.jpg

Only if he ties his shoes.

jayceheathman
10-26-2011, 08:51 PM
I like Upshaw, but he isn't as highly thought of by scouts as he is by draftniks.

In fact, there is a very good chance Upshaw won't be selected in round one.

Why don't scouts like Upshaw? He has been productive.

jayceheathman
10-26-2011, 08:57 PM

Like the Broncos passing on

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sRPw9B-CaGI/S53g2ltOScI/AAAAAAAABq0/80i1tFSj2l4/s400/Brady+Quinn.jpg

for

http://www.secsportsfan.com/images/tim-tebow-cry-baby-picture-21345481.jpg

nepg
10-28-2011, 04:28 PM
They said that about Chad Jackson. It does matter.

keylime_5
10-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Why don't scouts like Upshaw? He has been productive.

he's kinda slow and isn't as prolific of a pass rusher as a round one pass rusher is supposed to be, plus I think a lot of people might think he's an ILB in a 3-4 and not a good fit in most 4-3s. I think he's likened to LaMarr Woodley and Brandon Graham and Ryan Kerrigan often, but is not nearly as good a pass rusher as those 3 were in college.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
10-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Like the Broncos passing on

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sRPw9B-CaGI/S53g2ltOScI/AAAAAAAABq0/80i1tFSj2l4/s400/Brady+Quinn.jpg

for

http://www.secsportsfan.com/images/tim-tebow-cry-baby-picture-21345481.jpg

or drafting Jimmy Clausen

Iamcanadian
10-29-2011, 11:55 PM
he's kinda slow and isn't as prolific of a pass rusher as a round one pass rusher is supposed to be, plus I think a lot of people might think he's an ILB in a 3-4 and not a good fit in most 4-3s. I think he's likened to LaMarr Woodley and Brandon Graham and Ryan Kerrigan often, but is not nearly as good a pass rusher as those 3 were in college.

I disagree and unlike Scott, I think this kid is very special and will go a lot higher in the draft than he is projecting if his triangle #'s are decent. He has been totally dominate this season and unstoppable for Alabama and is the main reason their defense is totally dominating.
If the post season goes well, I won't be shocked to see him in the top 10.

Iamcanadian
10-30-2011, 12:14 AM
I repeat myself but I continue to disagree with Scott on Jeffery's. Pro GM's and scouts have long memories about how college HC's prospects at a position consistently underwhelm as pros and Spurrier's WR's for the most part have been disappointments.
I cannot see a pro GM or scout put his neck on the line by drafting another Spurrier WR in the top 15. I expect to see Jeffery being a huge disappointment at the combine when he works out and that will seal his fate as a round 2 guy.
Sometimes the GM's and scouts have been wrong following this trend but over 90% of the time, it works out. Either way, Jeffery's will fall on draft day because many GM's will downgrade his value just because he is another Spurrier WR and if he goes round 1 it will be very late.
For those who really believe that Jeffery is talented, I remember Rodgers, the QB for Green Bay who dropped on draft day by quite a bit because GM's and scouts were scared off by Tedford's record at producing NFL QB's. GM's and scouts simply won't put their job on the line if they don't feel secure about the ability of a college HC to produce solid prospects at certain positions.

Scott Wright
10-30-2011, 09:26 PM
I repeat myself but I continue to disagree with Scott on Jeffery's. Pro GM's and scouts have long memories about how college HC's prospects at a position consistently underwhelm as pros and Spurrier's WR's for the most part have been disappointments.
I cannot see a pro GM or scout put his neck on the line by drafting another Spurrier WR in the top 15. I expect to see Jeffery being a huge disappointment at the combine when he works out and that will seal his fate as a round 2 guy.
Sometimes the GM's and scouts have been wrong following this trend but over 90% of the time, it works out. Either way, Jeffery's will fall on draft day because many GM's will downgrade his value just because he is another Spurrier WR and if he goes round 1 it will be very late.
For those who really believe that Jeffery is talented, I remember Rodgers, the QB for Green Bay who dropped on draft day by quite a bit because GM's and scouts were scared off by Tedford's record at producing NFL QB's. GM's and scouts simply won't put their job on the line if they don't feel secure about the ability of a college HC to produce solid prospects at certain positions.

That sounds like exactly what I've been saying on Jeffery all along...

I'm not nearly as big of a fan as most and have raised the same concerns you mentioned.

stl9erfan
10-30-2011, 10:30 PM
I have to disagree with your listing DL as a need for the 49ers. Depth is a concern, there, but I think the Niners are pretty set with their trio of McDonald, J. Smith, and Sopoaga... all are signed for the next few years and all are performing quite well right now. Indeed, the DL is one of the strongest starting units on the team, IMO.

I might prefer Upshaw or Sanu to the corner pick there, but there's no doubt CB is a need, too. Solid pick.

ETA: I should add that Upshaw might make even more sense if the team loses Ahmad Brooks, who is slated to be a FA after this season.

Thread Killer
10-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Gee, Rams CBs Bartell, Fletcher, and Murphy are just injured. They aren't dead.

Highly unlikely the Rams come out of the 1st round without a WR or perhaps a LT.

nepg
10-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Am I alone in not liking any of the receivers in this coming draft? Floyd seems like the best WR prospect to me, but he's got injury concerns out the wazoo and his current production may very well be a result of the new offense.

Shane P. Hallam
10-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Am I alone in not liking any of the receivers in this coming draft? Floyd seems like the best WR prospect to me, but he's got injury concerns out the wazoo and his current production may very well be a result of the new offense.

Nah, I'm kind of in the same boat the more I watch...

AntoinCD
11-01-2011, 03:09 PM

I love the thought of Blackmon or Floyd on the Pats...you know if they got either in the 20s. I think that says all you need about the WRs in the draft.

Blackmon will at least go top 10 but is not in the same league as the top two last year

nepg
11-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Yeah, but that's in the latter part of the draft. People have them going in the Top 3-10. I'd take Blackmon at where the Pats will pick, too... But his actual talent/ability level might not even be an amazing value there.

RealityCheck
11-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I dig the Pats draft. Thompson would be a great fit and Sanu is just the type of weapon we need.

keylime_5
11-02-2011, 12:05 AM
I think Blackmon and Floyd will both be stud #1 pro bowl WRs. Jeffery has the talent to be that too, but I kinda think he might underwhelm. There are some good prospects outside of round one too with high upside like AJ Jenkins and DeVier Posey and Ryan Broyles to name a few. Compared to the average draft there is above average WR talent this year imo.