PDA

View Full Version : Jamarcus Russell tells his side of the story in a new interview.

Ness
10-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Just sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. Newsflash, you aren't the only one that has hard times.

From a chair in Maysville Barber Shop in Mobile—where he goes to have his head shaved three or four times a week—JaMarcus Russell tells senior writer L. Jon Wertheim (@jon_wertheim) his side of the story. Russell says that few people are aware of the factors that worked against him during his time with the Oakland Raiders, including:

The death of 11 family members or friends, including uncle and father figure Ray Ray: “I went through so much no one knew about. Go to a funeral on Saturday, fly into the game on Sunday. Then I hear, ‘He doesn’t lead by example.’ Really?”

What Russell regards as being betrayed by then coach Tom Cable: “I stuck my neck out for him. Didn’t complain when he benched me as the starter. Didn’t complain when he called the same plays five damn times. Didn’t him to other coaches. When the [media] asks me, I say, ‘He’s a good coach, a good guy.’ Then I hear he says I was the worst thing ever happened to the Raiders, if it weren’t for him we’d be in the playoffs?… It just got to where the game wasn’t fun for me.”

[B]The lack of support from his teammates: “Things weren’t going right, and it felt sometimes like everything fell back on me. I take some responsibility, but I was one guy…. I may have missed a throw, but I didn’t give up 42 points, I didn’t miss a block.”

http://insidesportsillustrated.com/2011/10/25/jamarcus-russell-the-most-maligned-figure-in-football-tells-his-side-of-the-story/

Ravens1991
10-25-2011, 06:12 PM
The death of 11 family members and friends would really **** with someone I feel bad for him with that. But the guy just isnt a good quarterback.

Raiderz4Life
10-25-2011, 06:12 PM
shut up you fat sack of ****. No excuses to balloon your fat ass to 300lbs. Look at Ray Rice he lost 2 important figures and he's a complete stud. I hate you!!1 ='(

bored of education
10-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Can we has some your money sir

stephenson86
10-25-2011, 06:15 PM
I reckon he could of made it...but his career just went as badly as was possible.

FUNBUNCHER
10-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Sorry but when a coach gives you a gamefilm CD to review at home, and when you come back to the practice facility and are later asked, 'Russell did you watch the CD??'. and you say YES, only to find out the CD was B-L-A-N-K, in by book you don't have any excuses.

You are the biggest 1/1 bust in the history of the NFL IMO.
Welcome to pro football immortality.

If the guy has any desire to play pro ball again, it's not like he's being prevented from trying out with a team to be a 3rd string QB,

Jamarcus had the same rep at LSU, immensely talented but highly unmotivated.
Plenty of NFL players have had lives harder than being picked first overall in the draft.

shylo3716
10-25-2011, 06:19 PM
http://ll-images.veoh.com/thumb/w277/user-SippinSizzurp32.jpghttp://rlv.zcache.com/promethazine_tshirt-p235237050787487638trdy_125.jpg

bucfan12
10-25-2011, 06:19 PM
shut up you fat sack of ****. No excuses to balloon your fat ass to 300lbs. Look at Ray Rice he lost 2 important figures and he's a complete stud. I hate you!!1 ='(

It all depends on your mental make up. Russell said he had attended funerals on a Saturday and then fly back to play on Sundays.

Where Rice just saw it as motivation, Russell couldn't deal with all of the baggage going on in his life and focus on football.

People are different. Can't really fault a guy for that.

EvilMonkey
10-25-2011, 06:20 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/494627/jamarcus-hippo.jpg

TACKLE
10-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Although J-Roc certainly could of done a lot more on his end, I will say he had pretty much everything working against him - a dysfunctional organization, no stability in the coaching staff, a horrible offensive line, a horrible receiving core, not to mention the drama that was going on in his life. That combined with a raw QB who had work ethic issues and it was just a recipe for disaster. He may of been really ****** no matter what, but I think it's a unfair to assume that he couldn't of have had a little bit of success in a more favorable situation and that his shortcomings were 100% his fault.

descendency
10-25-2011, 06:27 PM
http://ll-images.veoh.com/thumb/w277/user-SippinSizzurp32.jpghttp://rlv.zcache.com/promethazine_tshirt-p235237050787487638trdy_125.jpg

I'm not making excuses for him, because he was likely too busy "having fun" but lots of people turn to drug abuse when **** goes really bad.

He was struggling in the NFL, people died, and this was all magnified because he was the #1 overall pick.

From what lots of people have said about him, I don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. An LSU coach at the time said "he doesn't have the best work ethic" and that isn't what you want to hear.

Splat
10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Raiders have no one to blame but themselves. I mean everything about him screamed RED FLAG and they still took him.

descendency
10-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Look on the bright side... no other QB was worth a **** from that draft either.

(Sorry Cardinals fans...)

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Forget the other stuff, what I want to know is why is he getting his head shaved 3-4 times a week? And if that's the case why doesn't he do it himself???

FUNBUNCHER
10-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Forget the other stuff, what I want to know is why is he getting his head shaved 3-4 times a week? And if that's the case why doesn't he do it himself???

Repped. LOL!!

No bigger sign that Jamarcus will be broke in 5 years. Most men who wear their head bald learn to do that **** themselves.

DUmmy is too lazy to shave his own bald head?? 3-4 times a week??
Can't make this **** up.

RaiderNation
10-25-2011, 06:47 PM
He also forgot to add in the lack of desire to play football from him and showing up to off season camps over weight. The dude got paid and simply quit on the team. I will never forgive JaMarcus for what he did to this team for that 3 year stretch.

soybean
10-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Repped. LOL!!

No bigger sign that Jamarcus will be broke in 5 years. Most men who wear their head bald learn to do that **** themselves.

Can't make this **** up.

Im pretty sure he can afford 15-20 dollars a week as can many people on this board.

I'd be more concered about the waste of time.

Ness
10-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Can't make this **** up.

I burst out loud laughing. The man is probably too busy trying to look cool on the street corner.

CC.SD
10-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Why doesn't he mention the purple drank? 'It's not all my fault, you don't know my side of the story...I also did a lot of drugs.'

wogitalia
10-25-2011, 09:57 PM
The only thing I took out of this was the wtf on the getting your head shaved 3-4 times a week, wtf kind of hormones has he taken that his hair grows at that kind of rate?

Just a real wtf, that may be the strangest part about his whole career!

PackerLegend
10-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I feel so bad for him.... just absolutely terrible. Poor guy committed a crime by stealing how many millions from the Raiders? Got off free taking all the money with him. Must be so rough.

WCH
10-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Repped. LOL!!

They even make special razors for that purpose!

I'm doing good if I muster up the time to shave my face 3-4 times a week.

tjsunstein
10-25-2011, 10:35 PM
I still have zero respect for him.

brat316
10-25-2011, 10:37 PM
I think he already is broke. Something came out last year about him being bankrupt.

Edit: nvm, just missed payments on his house by 200K. Probably cause nobody wanted to buy it.

phlysac
10-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Yeah. When I hear all of the excuses, I just turn to stories like this...

uN22zvvxAJ0

YLBEAoD1m8Q

Patrick Willis keeps the faith

The 49ers' LB maintains hope that his father will be able to overcome his addictions

BRUCETON, Tenn. -- The San Francisco 49ers' 5-1 start will make more people recognize the true brilliance of their star linebacker, Patrick Willis. He's the man Baltimore Ravens' 12-time Pro Bowler Ray Lewis anointed as the next great defender, and Willis already has four Pro Bowls of his own to support that claim.

The people who know Willis best also believe his character will receive more attention outside the Bay Area. For as great as he is on the field, what really makes him special is how gracefully he's handled his turbulent life.

The most impressive aspect of Willis is the devotion he still shows his troubled father, Ernest. As tonight's story on "E:60" will detail, their relationship has been as painful as it gets. By Patrick's recollection, Ernest was an alcoholic, a heavy drug user, and a man so abusive that he eventually had his four children taken from him by the state of Tennessee. By Patrick's recollection, Ernest also supplied his oldest son with the discipline to escape extreme poverty and the unyielding belief that you never turn your back on your family, no matter what.
That complicated combination of variables is what keeps Patrick Willis, 26, committed to the belief that his father will someday slay his inner demons. Many pro athletes would've turned their backs on such a patriarch by now. Patrick instead still believes in the possibility of Ernest's redemption.

"Patrick doesn't just worry about himself," said Ernicka Willis, Patrick's younger sister. "He doesn't know how to do that."

"I've never thought to ask myself why I haven't given up hope," Patrick Willis said. "But I have asked myself why I can't let it go and not just want him to do better. It's probably because I have a younger half-brother and half-sister that live with him now [Willis' father is remarried]. And I don't want them to go through the things I did growing up."

Those "things" that Patrick Willis referred to would make even the most hardened child psychologist marvel at his resolve. As a child, Patrick spent so much time caring for Ernicka and his younger brothers Orey and Detris -- long after Ernest vanished for the night -- that Ernicka sends him Father's Day cards. According to Patrick, Ernest often abused drugs so frequently that his children could only shake their heads when he advised them to avoid such destructive behavior. There's also the night that Ernest returned home drunk and lined his children up military-style, just so he could give them a stern lecture. When Detris started to doze off, Ernest battered him with a fierce four-punch combination that dropped his youngest son to the floor.

Patrick Willis was always too big to suffer such physical abuse, but he still felt his own hurt. When he was 13, he spent an entire summer working an $8-per-hour job for a logging company, all so he could save enough money to buy a pair of Air Jordans. But little by little, Ernest kept asking for loans -- supposedly to pay bills -- that Patrick knew were supporting his father's drug habit. By the end of the summer, Patrick had only $20 left.
When Ernest asked for that as well, Patrick broke down in front of Orey.

"The person who knew what I was going through was Orey," Patrick said. "And I'll never forget telling him, 'Man, this is crazy.' Tears were coming down my face and Orey said, 'Daddy's just gotta stop. How can he not see what he's doing is not right?' I'll never forget being so frustrated because it hurt so bad to do all that work and have nothing to show for it."

To understand how painful that night was for Patrick, just consider that his siblings had never seen him more devastated. Patrick didn't cry when his father was so strung out that he rarely attended any of Patrick's games at nearby Bruceton Central High School. Patrick also didn't tear up in 2006 when he received the news that Detris drowned during Patrick's junior year at Ole Miss, where he became a two-time All-American. Patrick ultimately became so numb to life during his childhood, "I started seeing my father as a stranger."

In many ways, the most disturbing part of growing up for Patrick was having a front-row seat to witness the steady deterioration of a man he loved so much.

Incredibly, that love is what Patrick Willis clings to today. When he talks about his father, he remembers when Ernest would take him hunting, introduce him to sports and play basketball with his kids, despite being dog-tired from a full day of work. He also respects the attempts Ernest made at raising all four of his children after Patrick's mother, Loretta Lynn Anderson, abandoned the family when Patrick was 4. Even when the Department of Children's Services confronted Ernest during Patrick's junior year in high school, Patrick was concerned with how it would affect his father.

Said former 49ers head coach and current Minnesota Vikings assistant Mike Singletary: "Patrick believes the best of people. You're never going to catch him talking about somebody because he knows he's not perfect. But so few people in life give you a second chance. And he is that kind of guy."

These days, Patrick Willis is just as concerned about his father. When "E:60" approached him about his story, his primary concern was how Ernest would be portrayed. Patrick didn't want the world to see a monster. He wanted people to understand a man who was destroyed by an inability to defeat his addictions.

"He really is a good guy," Willis said. "He was a good father because he could've easily just turned his back on us and he stuck in there. But he also had his ways, too, and just as anybody can be a good person, if you have bad ways, that's what gets the best of you."

The tough part for Willis is that he knows his upbringing ultimately led him to a place he'd always dreamed of reaching. Now he just wants his father to change his own life.

"I'd say we're actually closer now than in the 15 years I lived with him," Willis said. "Probably a year or two ago was the first time my daddy told me, 'I love you, Son.' Can you believe that? I was like 23 or 24. … He said, 'Son, keep doing what you're doing. You got it going on for yourself. I love you, boy.' I was in so much shock I couldn't even cry."

That improved father-son bond is enough proof for Willis to keep believing in Ernest. It's also evidence of the same strength and resilience Willis brings to his game. That's because part of his growing relationship with his father may truly have something to do with Ernest finally understanding the damage he inflicted on Patrick during his childhood. The greater likelihood is that it has more to do with a son who has too much heart to abandon his own faith.

Good excuses, JaMarcus.

NotRickJames
10-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Just sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. Newsflash, you aren't the only one that has hard times.

http://insidesportsillustrated.com/2011/10/25/jamarcus-russell-the-most-maligned-figure-in-football-tells-his-side-of-the-story/

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss151/tanastyGOAT/srsag.gif

Splat
10-25-2011, 11:06 PM
uN22zvvxAJ0

YLBEAoD1m8Q

Or

eAbyzT2zhGs

phlysac
10-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Yeah. There are countless stories of people who took personal responsibility and worked hard. Alllowing excuses to define you won't garner sympathy.

Ness
10-25-2011, 11:11 PM
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss151/tanastyGOAT/srsag.gif

I don't get it. Actually I've seen that gif before and I've never gotten it.

keylime_5
10-25-2011, 11:12 PM
let me get this straight......so they paid you millions of dollars in guaranteed money to be a franchise QB, and since they were pissy that you were being lazy and playing like **** and treated you badly we should feel sorry for you? you leave your father figure's funeral and have to play a game, okay, it's not easy to focus when you are grieving....but the job that you have to go to every day is being a starting quarterback in the NFL which is pretty much the dream job for most young boys yet only like .00000000000000000001% of them actually get the chance to live that dream. it's all on you, get over it dude. lots of people have overcome adversity and succeeded. it's no excuse for not working hard and being a lump of ****.

tjsunstein
10-25-2011, 11:17 PM
You know Jamarcus will never see this thread right?

Raiderz4Life
10-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Iirc Farve ripped Oakland 2 new ones when his dad died.

FUNBUNCHER
10-25-2011, 11:25 PM
So many NFL players come from totally screwed up home lives, Russell is really bitching about nothing I care about and somehow expects sympathy.

Ravens WR Torrey Smith is another guy who except for organized athletics, discipline, hope and perseverance avoided becoming another Black male prison statistic.

Torrey Smith had to raise his 6 other brothers and sisters because his mother was a mess and his army vet father was absentee.

Jarmarcus needs to get his head on straight and take a long look in the mirror and decide whether or not the NFL is where he wants to be. But first he's got to stop making excuses.

Iamcanadian
10-26-2011, 04:30 AM
He also forgot to add in the lack of desire to play football from him and showing up to off season camps over weight. The dude got paid and simply quit on the team. I will never forgive JaMarcus for what he did to this team for that 3 year stretch.

I would have to add that the Raiders were the wrong team for Russell. They also let him down. He needed a team that was solid in its approach and not turning to a new HC every year, in the crazy world of Al Davis in his later years.
I think if he had come to such a team, he may have had a better chance for success. He had all the talent in the world but needed a strong leader to keep him on track and he didn't find it in Oakland.

Caddy
10-26-2011, 04:34 AM
Excuses Excuses. Other quarterback in college and the league would kill to have the natural abilities Russell had. He just wasted everything.

Brent
10-26-2011, 05:52 AM
http://cdn.lastangryfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/fat.jpg

TitanHope
10-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Not that I care anything whatsoever about JaMarcus Russell, but anyone who uses the "Well, it could have been worse" or "Well, others have had it worse than you, so look on the bright side" line deserves a massive **** you.

This is speaking from experience when people say "It could have been worse" or "Well, at least you're still here" when they find out I survived cancer. Yeah, you think you're being nice, but you're really being an insensitive asshole. Oh, so you'll have me look at the positive of a situation that has left me with chronic pain from the age of 11 til death, I can never play sports again, that I'm shorter than I should have been, and all the other **** that ties into this disease and it's poisonous treatment...because I'm not dead. Don't ever say this to anybody's face, and if you have and weren't spat on, then you're fortunate. You're basically diminishing the person's negative experience or situation without even realizing it. And just because somebody else had something worse happen to them, or your situation could have been worse, doesn't at all mean what happened to you wasn't terrible. Doesn't mean it shouldn't affect you in other areas of your life. Doesn't mean you're not allowed to crawl in a hole. Everyone deals differently. They just do.

That's just an example, and I do keep a positive outlook, but that's for me to decide, and I don't want any patronizing ******** from people who don't know what they're saying. Who gives a **** if Patrick Willis, Torrie Smith, or whoever else overcome obstacles the size of the ******* great wall? That should have nothing to do with this. Use that to uplift them. Not bring down others who have dealt with their own obstacles and have failed. What kind of an asshole does that?

JaMarcus's failures are on him. Use the thousands of other reasons to knock him. But if the dude had 11 people close to him die in a short span of time and that messed him up, then ******* accept it. Don't cast it off. Don't degrade his difficult time and how it affected him because someone else overcame something bigger. Wanna know why Brett Favre gets sooooo much credit for that MNF performance after his dad died? Because it shouldn't have happened. Most others would have been too out of their mind with grief to do what Favre did. But Favre was in the minority and did something amazing. So what if Russell falls into the majority in this situation?

JaMarcus Russell failed for a variety of reasons. If these deaths or adversity were part of the bigger picture, then ok. I'll accept them as part of the reasoning. Not necessarily excuses. But reasons.

Meh, I tried keeping that rant as on topic as it could have been, and I think I defended JaMarcus Russell in the process. **** me.

FUNBUNCHER
10-26-2011, 07:28 AM
I question whether or not Jamarcus Russell really had 11 people 'close' to him die during his time in Oakland.

He may have known 11 who died while he was in Oakland, but were they all intimate and integral to his life and emotional well being??

Whatever.

I'm knocking Russell because he simply IMO did not put in the work off the field to become a better football player. It didn't happen at LSU and it didn't happen in the pros.
Russell is attempting to rationalize why he screwed up and ends up making excuses.

Not knowing the playbook sufficiently because you aren't studying it on your own is inexcusable.
If Russell was diagnosed with sleep apnea, why didn't he get it treated???

Sorry but Russell gave off the vibe in Oakland that he really didn't care about football and still doesn't.

Why response does he expect to elicit from football fans?? It wasn't Russell's fault for being an alltime bust??
If busting was a cake, Russell ate three-quarters of that triple layer all by himself.

If a person gives their max effort and it comes up short, I can respect that, even if there were circumstances beyond their control.

But if someone isn't even giving 50% of what they are capable of and they end of failing, don't come to me after the fact with extenuating circumstances.

The main reason Russell didn't make it as an NFL QB was because he's Jamarcus Russell.

If Russell is so emotionally fragile and mentally vulnerable that every adversity is too much for him to battle against, he should have retired from competitive sports after he left LSU.

tjsunstein
10-26-2011, 07:44 AM
I haven't heard of any of these things until now, and maybe if Russell was more open about them and sought the help he clearly needs then this situation would be very different.

SolidGold
10-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Don't feel bad for him at all. You get 30+ million guaranteed in money and you crap your career away, thats all on him.

brat316
10-26-2011, 10:06 AM
He got paid to be over weight. 300 lbs = 30+ million.

I still can't get over that he watched a game plan, when it turns out the dvd was blank. His failures are on him.

Its not that Oakland was a bad fit for him, sure Al Davis is crazy, and there was a new head coach every other week, but he still could have worked hard.

A Perfect Score
10-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I just can't feel sorry for him. There are millions and millions of people out there who work incredibly hard at their **** jobs for their entire lives and they'll never make a fraction of what he made for signing his name to a piece of paper. Even with my incredibly ****** upbringing and everything that's gone on in my life, if you give me his athletic ability and $30 Million and ask me to the face of your franchise, you can bet your ass I'm not going to piss that opportunity away because some things went down. No chance. Were there systemic pressures that contributed to his failures? Obviously. But when it's all said and done, Jamarcus has nobody to blame but himself. I don't see Alex Smith breaking down and blaming San Francisco for his failures, and he's dealt with a hell of a lot more in San Fran then Jamarcus did in Oakland.

whatadai
10-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Yes...now everyone knows its Tom Cable's and the Raiders' fault, every team should flock to sign him now cause he does have what it takes. LOL!

Breed
10-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Feel bad, the guy had potential.

killxswitch
10-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Nothing excuses his massive failure. But losing 11 people or even half that number that were an important part of his life sucks and would've been difficult for anyone to deal with. That's not a good reason for him to just give up and not try, which is what he did. He felt sorry for himself and just didn't try.

He obviously had the talent. What a waste. I wonder if he'd had a coach like Harbaugh and if he'd tried to get help for his depression if things might've been different. I blame Russell first for his failures, no doubt. But he was not in a good situation and that did not help. It is a piece of the puzzle.

Ness
10-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I wonder if that DVD story is true. That's pretty funny.

killxswitch
10-26-2011, 11:38 PM
I wonder if that DVD story is true. That's pretty funny.

It's true. I remember reading it on PFT.