PDA

View Full Version : Which coaches will get fired this season/offseason?

Matthew Jones
10-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Here are the coaches who I consider to potentially be on the hot seat. Who gets canned? Any guesses as to who the replacements are?

Indianapolis Colts - Jim Caldwell

Has effectively channeled the spirit of Art Shell in Indianapolis en route to a 0-7 record. Also has a sterling 26-63 record as a college coach. Will he be canned?

Jacksonville Jaguars - Jack Del Rio

How many disappointing seasons can Del Rio survive in a row? Has a losing record and only one playoff victory after nine years in Jacksonville. No winning seasons since 2007.

Kansas City Chiefs - Todd Haley

Someone who has consistently failed to earn the respect of his key players. The Chiefs looked terrible before and after Charlie Weis, who Haley also alienated.

Miami Dolphins - Tony Sparano

All but gone despite receiving a contract extension last offseason. The Dolphins are one of the frontrunners for Andrew Luck and will be looking for a coach soon.

Minnesota Vikings - Leslie Frazier

The Jim Caldwell of the NFC. Minnesota is 1-6 under Frazier this season and 4-9 overall. Will probably get a second season but this season could end very badly.

Oakland Raiders - Hue Jackson

Jackson has compiled a 4-3 record but the Raiders are in a state of flux and their coaches are never safe, plus he traded two first-round picks for Carson Palmer.

Philadelphia Eagles - Andy Reid

Would be very difficult to replace but could be made the scapegoat for Philadelphia's disappointing season similar to what happened to Tito Francona in Boston.

St. Louis Rams - Steve Spagnuolo

Probably deserves a mulligan but the defense has been awful and the Rams are 8-30 under Spagnuolo. How much say did he have in the decision to hire McDaniels?

Ness
10-26-2011, 06:14 AM
Hue Jackson won't get fired. That team is competing for the first time in a while. If Al Davis was alive, I'd say he may get fired, but he's out of the picture now. And it would be stupid since Jackson was the maestro behind the Carson Palmer trade. They shouldn't give up on Hue after his first season as head coach. That's the way not to run a franchise.

nepg
10-26-2011, 06:14 AM
Haley's fine. They looked bad early because they approached the off-season in a completely different way than any other team in the NFL, and it didn't work out early on. I actually like his offense and Muir's playcalling better for the Chiefs than Weis's...

Ness
10-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Jack Del Rio should have been fired a while ago. I can't believe he lasted more than Tom Coughlin did. It's time to bring in another coach to help rebuild that franchise. It sucks for the team in a way though because if there is a lot of moving and shaking with the coaching change and perhaps general managing duties, they still have a second year quarterback that is expected to be the future of the franchise and they may have to work with that for a while.

TitanHope
10-26-2011, 06:19 AM
I actually approve of Del Rio. I think he's gotten all he could have from his J'Ville teams. The state of the team the last few seasons could be blamed on Shack Harris's terrible GM'ing rather than poor coaching by Del Rio.

I think Hue Jackson and Andy Reid are fine, and give maybes to Steve Spagnuolo and Todd Haley. Everyone else, pthurrrrrrrrrrp.

Ness
10-26-2011, 06:26 AM
I actually approve of Del Rio. I think he's gotten all he could have from his J'Ville teams. The state of the team the last few seasons could be blamed on Shack Harris's terrible GM'ing rather than poor coaching by Del Rio.

I think Hue Jackson and Andy Reid are fine, and give maybes to Steve Spagnuolo and Todd Haley. Everyone else, pthurrrrrrrrrrp.

Well Gene Smith has been the general manager since 2009 I believe. But I don't think Del Rio has done a decent job the last few seasons in the decisions he's made. And cutting Garrard, going with McCown, and now playing Gabbert seemed to just have backfired on him. Did Del Rio have any control over what kind of players he could acquire in the previous regime with Harris at the helm? I would have assumed so.

Brent
10-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Indianapolis Colts - Jim Caldwell

Has effectively channeled the spirit of Art Shell in Indianapolis en route to a 0-7 record. Also has a sterling 26-63 record as a college coach. Will he be canned?
I don't know about this one, but it would be easy to make him part of a scapegoat when they go 1-15.

Jacksonville Jaguars - Jack Del Rio

How many disappointing seasons can Del Rio survive in a row? Has a losing record and only one playoff victory after nine years in Jacksonville. No winning seasons since 2007.
It's hard to be competitive when you keep taking DII and DIII players. Eventually that leaves you with an amateur football team.

Someone who has consistently failed to earn the respect of his key players. The Chiefs looked terrible before and after Charlie Weis, who Haley also alienated.
He'll stay. The GM hand-picked him to be coach.

Miami Dolphins - Tony Sparano

All but gone despite receiving a contract extension last offseason. The Dolphins are one of the frontrunners for Andrew Luck and will be looking for a coach soon.
He'll be fired for sure.

The Jim Caldwell of the NFC. Minnesota is 1-6 under Frazier this season and 4-9 overall. Will probably get a second season but this season could end very badly.
If Ponder keeps them competitive and they win a couple games, I could see him staying.

Oakland Raiders - Hue Jackson

Jackson has compiled a 4-3 record but the Raiders are in a state of flux and their coaches are never safe, plus he traded two first-round picks for Carson Palmer.
I think he's definitely going to stay.

St. Louis Rams - Steve Spagnuolo

Probably deserves a mulligan but the defense has been awful and the Rams are 8-30 under Spagnuolo. How much say did he have in the decision to hire McDaniels?
Injuries, little talent, and an offense that doesn't suit the personnel. He would be an easy scapegoat.

TitanHope
10-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Well Gene Smith has been the general manager since 2009 I believe. But I don't think Del Rio has done a decent job the last few seasons in the decisions he's made. And cutting Garrard, going with McCown, and now playing Gabbert seemed to just have backfired on him. Did Del Rio have any control over what kind of players he could acquire in the previous regime with Harris at the helm? I would have assumed so.

Two drafts and two FA periods don't usually single-handedly turn around a bad team. Not in that short of time at least since development is needed. And the teams that do usually see the QB position make a vast improvement, and J'Ville will have to hope for that from Gabbert next year. No way was Garrard going to leap into the next tier of NFL QB's.

McKown beat out Garrard in camp. And Garrard is still a FA, and at this time, isn't even healthy. I'm not sure letting him go was a mistake. And a few years ago, Del Rio did the same thing with Leftwich and cut him to make Garrard the starter, and it paid off. I think Gabbert is their starting QB at this time no matter who the veteran starter was anyway.

I'm not really sure on how much input Del Rio had, to be honest. But I think head coaches should be judged through two lenses: Does he have a franchise QB or not? Del Rio has never once had a franchise QB, and has built solid teams in his tenure despite that. I think he deserves a year or two with Gabbert, because if Gabbert turns into a franchise guy, then I think Del Rio can keep that team contending for years.

SolidGold
10-26-2011, 07:59 AM
It sounds like the Dolphins have begun to court Cowher. If Sparano goes than Ireland will go to. This will lead to Cowher getting his wish - having the GM duties as well as being the head coach. I think Stephen Ross is desperate for a big name and will pretty much give Cowher whatever he wants.

Jughead10
10-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Granted he had Peyton Manning in his division for all of his career except this season, but Del Rio has been coach of that team for how many seasons without a division title? That has to be some sort of record.

BeerBaron
10-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Caldwell - Absolutely yes. He'll be scapegoated by the Polians to cover for the fact that they've built a team entirely dependent on one player. They can entice a new coach of their choosing by drafting Luck (or if they don't have the #1 pick, another elite prospect) to build around.

Del Rio - Possibly. If that defense keeps humming and Gabbert shows any kind of development, he might be able to stick around. But if they suffer a let down following their surprise defeat of Baltimore and lose more than they win the rest of the season, he's a goner.

Haley - No. Unless they go on another horrific slide, he'll win enough to stick around for at least another year.

Sparano - Yes. He'd be gone now, but I think Stephen Ross realizes that the best chance he has to end up with Luck is to just leave Sparano in charge. "Suck for Luck" not by having his team lay down, but by simply not doing anything to try and improve.

Frazier - Unlikely. Especially if Ponder keeps up the high level of play (for a rookie.)

Jackson - No. The Palmer trade was incredibly stupid, but he's basically in charge of the football operations there now. He'll be a major player in their GM search as well.

Reid - Definite possibility. The team was built to win it all THIS YEAR and they are far from that. Even making it to the playoffs doesn't guarantee he sticks around if they're only a one and done Wildcard team. If he does get fired, he could basically choose any other team with an opening to go to, but I think he and Philly both need fresh starts.

Spags - Definite possibility. This team looks absolutely awful, and may in fact be the least talented in the league right now. You can blame that all on the head coach, but the head coach is an easy guy to scapegoat in that case. And as you say, he has not done his job as a defensive minded coach. That defense is pathetically bad right now. Like Reid though, any team with an opening at defensive coordinator should absolutely jump on him if he's let go.

A few others you didn't mention but who could have a hotter seat than most expect:

Mike Shanahan - Dan Snyder isn't exactly patient with his head coaches and this whole Grossman/Beck mess is on him. They'd probably have to really collapse the rest of the season for it to happen, but that's far from impossible.

Tom Coughlin - There have been some rumors around the last few years that it could happen. Like Shanahan, there would have to be a hell of a collapse for him to be fired, but I don't put that past a team that could lose to Seattle in the way they did.

Ken Whisenhunt - This is probably the most likely to be fired that you didn't mention. The Cardinals are a god awful football team right now. Kevin Kolb looking pathetic doesn't help matters either.

Bill Belichick - Just making sure you're paying attention.

Gary Kubiak - If the Texans somehow fail to win that division which has basically been handed to them on a platter, he's done. Playoffs or bust. Unlikely but definitely not impossible.

Norv Turner - If the Chargers don't win that division, he could be done as well. That team is underachieving badly. They have no business missing the playoffs.

T-RICH49
10-26-2011, 09:21 AM
this team plays real hard for Haley.if they did'nt respect/like him they would not play this hard for him

sweetness34
10-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Please, please, please Lovie Smith, but that would mean we miss the playoffs and I don't want that to happen. I'm pulling for Lovie to do well, but I also want him gone. Does that make any sense?

Breed
10-26-2011, 01:25 PM

What does Caldwell and Frazier have in common besides being black?

jrdrylie
10-26-2011, 01:27 PM
What does Caldwell and Frazier have in common besides being black?

Not sure. Lovie Smith is more or the Jim Caldwell of the NFC. Both have no emotion on the sideline whatsoever. Both can be completely confused by the basics of football coaching (challenges and time outs).

sweetness34
10-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Not sure. Lovie Smith is more or the Jim Caldwell of the NFC. Both have no emotion on the sideline whatsoever. Both can be completely confused by the basics of football coaching (challenges and time outs).

I'd say Leslie Frazier is more Jim Caldwell than Lovie. At least Lovie will crack a smile every now and then. Frazier shows no emotion what so ever, at least that's what I saw in the Sunday Night Game.

Now on the confusion of coaching basics subject, yeah, Lovie is pretty level with Caldwell.

jrdrylie
10-26-2011, 02:39 PM
I'd say Leslie Frazier is more Jim Caldwell than Lovie. At least Lovie will crack a smile every now and then. Frazier shows no emotion what so ever, at least that's what I saw in the Sunday Night Game.

Now on the confusion of coaching basics subject, yeah, Lovie is pretty level with Caldwell.

I don't really know too much about Frazier. With McNabb at quarterback, Minnesota games were too excruciating to watch. Now that Ponder is in there, I might be able to stomach watching that offense and see whether or not Frazier is a robotic as Caldwell.

Basileus777
10-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Haley hasn't had trouble earning the respect of his players, and his job really isn't in jeopardy right now. It'd take a bad season next year for him to get fired, Hunt and Pioli aren't the type to fire a coach quickly after one year.

vidae
10-26-2011, 03:28 PM

I'd really love to know where you got this little tidbit of information. All of the key players here speak very highly of him.

And honestly, good riddance to Weis. He knew when he was hired that he would never get full control and bitched when he didn't get it.