PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mock 2.0

Grizzlegom
10-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Its been exactly a month since my first mock, I guess the itch overcame me. The order is based on teams' current records, decided to go two rounds.

1. Miami Dolphins - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford - The last two QBs the Dolphins have taken in the first round are Dan Marino and Bob Griese. Miami hopes this Luck is all his hype says he is.
2. Indianapolis Colts - Matt Kalil, OT, USC - After missing out on Luck, the Colts decide to get more protection for Manning. Kalil and Castonzo give them bookends for a decade.
3. St. Louis Rams - Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State - Bradford needs some weapons. Lloyd will probably re-sign but he's a one year wonder and nobody else they've drafted has shown any signs of life.
4. Minnesota Vikings - Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina - Ponder needs protection for his backside and someone to throw to. They opt for the shiny new weapon.
5. Arizona Cardinals - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford - Kolb hasn't performed nearly as well as they'd hoped but given the monetary investment, its hard to see them abandoning him after one season. Instead, they look to get him some protection as he has arguably the worst starting tackle tandem blocking for him.
6. Denver Broncos - Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma - Neither Fox nor Elway want Tebow coaching this team past this season.
7. Seattle Seahawks - Matt Barkley, QB, USC - T-Jax and Charlie Whitehurst are not starting-caliber NFL QBs. Carroll gets his QB.
8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina - Aaron Kampman hasn't lived up to his contract and Roth signed a one year deal.
9. Carolina Panthers - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama - Cam Newton has transformed their offense, now the defense needs to catch up. Kirkpatrick has the highest upside of all the CBs in this draft.
10. Philadelphia Eagles - Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College - Every year it seems the Eagles have a dearth of talent at the LB position. Maybe this is the year they finally use a premium pick on the position.
11. Washington Redskins - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor - The Grossman experiment has already failed. Tough to see the Beck experiment faring much better.
12. Cleveland Browns - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama - Hillis seems to be burning his bridges and Richardson provides incredible value at this point.
13. Tennessee Titans - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU - Tennessee grabs a value pick here and upgrades their secondary with someone more suited to be a number 1 corner as Finnegan isn't the elite corner that some make him out to be.
14. Kansas City Chiefs - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa - Chiefs grab a RT after missing out on all the top QBs.
15. Dallas Cowboys - David DeCastro, OG, Stanford - Cowboys get some help for the interior line after the guys they brought in simply aren't very good.
16. New York Jets - Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois - The Jets' leading sacker is Aaron Maybin with a whopping 3. They take the one pass rusher that is actually producing on the collegiate level this year.
17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina - Brown is the clear-cut top OLB in this class and the Bucs look to strike Derrick Brooks-esque gold.
18. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland) - Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama - Clements was an okay stopgap solution for them after losing Joseph but they need someone for the long haul and they haven't shied away from character questions before.
19. Baltimore Ravens - Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State - Burfict comes in as the heir apparent to the legendary Ray Lewis.
20. Chicago Bears - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame - Chicago gets the big WR they were looking for when they signed Roy Williams.
21. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta) - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M - Cleveland has been rather non-committal about Colt McCoy's future and grab someone to push him for playing time.
22. Detroit Lions - Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska - Detroit continues upgrading their defense, adding a physical player that is a good fit for the Lions scheme.
23. Cincinnati Bengals - Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (FL) - Cedric Benson will hit the magic age of 30 at midseason next year and Scott hasn't done anything to prove he can be the full-time back.
24. Buffalo Bills - Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama - Buffalo's biggest weakness is definitely the pass rush, especially now that Merriman has gotten injured again.
25. Houston Texans - Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma - Andre Johnson's injury has really exposed how weak they are at the WR position without him. Jacoby Jones simply hasn't developed as much as they'd hoped, Broyles will push/replace him.
26. San Diego Chargers - Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska - Chargers replaced one 3-4 DE with Liuget last year, there is still a hole at the other side.
27. New York Giants - Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame - Giants LB corps was weak even before the rash on injuries they suffered, particularly inside. Te'o can help fill the void.
28. New England Patriots (from New Orleans) - Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson - New England's personnel is much better suited for the 4-3 than the 3-4 anymore. The trade for Fat Albert hasn't worked at all and they need another 4-3 DT to pair with Wilfork.
29. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington - Both of their NTs are over the age of 30 and have been dealing with injuries.
30. San Francisco 49ers - T.J. McDonald, FS, USC - The secondary is the weak link on the defense and McDonald has proven to be a playmaker for the Trojans.
31. New England Patriots - Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin - Koppen will be coming off a major injury and is expensive. Konz could step in and give them a cheaper, better replacement.
32. Green Bay Packers - Devon Still, DE, Penn State - Still has put all his talent together as a senior and is having a great season. He's also got ideal 3-4 DE size and would be a great fit for this attacking Packers defense.

33. Miami Dolphins - Melvin Ingram, OLB, South Carolina - Miami is getting zero pass rush opposite Cameron Wake.
34. Indianapolis Colts - Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State - Indianapolis is getting destroyed up the middle.
35. St. Louis Rams - Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State - Saffold has taken a HUGE step back from his rookie year and Jason Smith is entering bust status.
36. Minnesota Vikings - Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State - As much as Mount McKinnie was regressing, Charlie Johnson has been a big downgrade.
37. Philadelphia Eagles (from Arizona) - Kelechi Osemele, OT, Iowa State - Evan Mathis has been great at LG but he's working on a one year deal and Herremens has been pretty poor at RT. Osemele could compete at both spots.
38. Denver Broncos - Chris Polk, RB, Washington - McGahee is old and injured. Knowshon is young and injured. Fox loves to run the ball.
39. Seattle Seahawks - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State - Seattle's run defense has been stout but they need an upgrade on the back end where Trufant has persistent back problems.
40. Jacksonville Jaguars - Mark Barron, SS, Alabama - Jaguars starting SSs this year are career backups Dwight Lowery and Courtney Greene.
41. Carolina Panthers - Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia - Carolina's offense has been great thanks to Cam Newton but the OGs' regression has stunted DWill and JStew's ability to jumpstart the run game.
42. Philadelphia Eagles - Bernard Pierce, RB, Temple - The Eagles' seemingly endless quest for a bigger back continues.
43. Washington Redskins - Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers - Whoever is going to be QB for this team needs someone to throw the ball to as Santana Moss is getting towards ancient status.
44. Cleveland Browns - Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall - They found one starting DE this year in Sheard, doesn't look like the Jayme Mitchell experiment is working though.
45. Tennessee Titans - Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis - Tennessee is getting GASHED up the middle this year. Poe is a big NT that can help with that.
46. Kansas City Chiefs - Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State - Cassel needs some competition.
47. Dallas Cowboys - Robert Lester, FS, Alabama - Cowboys have a big weakness in center field.
48. New York Jets - LaMichael James, RB, Oregon - I think its time to pull the plug in the Shonn Greene experiment and LT is also pretty close to the end.
49. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech - Talib is one slip-up away from being gone for a season and Ronde Barber has to retire someday...right?
50. New England Patriots (from Oakland) - Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin - Toon is an absolute steal at this point and they need a bigger WR with some deep speed as the Ochocinco experiment has gone about as well as the Fat Albert one.
51. Baltimore Ravens - Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida State - Sergio Kindle hasn't really worked his way into playing time and they need someone to generate pressure opposite Suggs.
52. Chicago Bears - Billy Winn, DE, Boise State - Israel Idonije is strictly a run stuffer and a free agent at the end of the year.
53. Atlanta Falcons - Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin - Falcons rebuilt interior line has been awful thus far this season.
54. Detroit Lions - Lavonte David, OLB, Nebraska - Bobby Carpenter has been reborn (or born as the case may be) for the Lions this year but Durant has been mediocre at best.
55. Cincinnati Bengals - Markelle Martin, FS, Oklahoma State - The Bengals have Reggie Nelson and Gibril Wilson taking snaps at FS.
56. Buffalo Bills - Andrew Datko, OT, Florida State - The Bills could use an upgrade at both starting OT spots.
57. Houston Texans - Josh Chapman, DT, Alabama - The main piece lacking for the 3-4 conversion is still a solid NT. Chapman is Saban's NT for the vaunted Alabama defense.
58. San Diego Chargers - Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama - Takeo Spikes is on his last legs.
59. New York Giants - Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson - Jake Ballard has performed admirably replacing Boss but the depth behind him leaves something to be desired with Beckum constantly injured.
60. New Orleans Saints - Ray Ray Armstrong, SS, Miami (FL) - Roman Harper is still the starting SS and he's picked off right where he left off in the playoffs last year.
61. Pittsburgh Steelers - Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State - Steelers NEED to address the offensive line. Adcock could step in at RT and start from day one.
62. San Francisco 49ers - Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M - Crabtree has struggled to stay healthy and Braylon Edwards has been a non-factor.
63. New England Patriots - Bruce Irvin, DE, West Virginia - New England needs some young pass rushing talent.
64. Green Bay Packers - Devin Taylor, OLB, South Carolina - Clay Matthews could use some help from the other side.

Matthew Jones
10-27-2011, 02:49 PM
That's a pretty poor Patriots mock draft. I like the Peter Konz pick, but aside from that I can't see any of the others happening. The Patriots have a great deal of defensive tackle depth and I think they would rather transition back to a 3-4 than stay in a 4-3. Albert Haynesworth was acquired to add a disruptive presence to the sub package and he has looked extremely effective despite missing some time with a back injury. Any Patriots fan will tell you that the Haynesworth trade was a success. Besides that Thompson is more of a one-gap player whereas the Patriots have a gap-control philosophy.

Nick Toon is more of a possession receiver and not the quick, shifty type that the Patriots have succeeded with in the past. Bruce Irvin is too undersized to draw interest from New England. The Patriots have a strict size requirement for pass rushers which has led to them avoiding various other players in the past. I'd recommend disregarding any prospects under 6'3" and 255 pounds or so. The ability to shed blocks and anchor vs. the run are also essential. I don't mean to be overly critical, I'm just trying to steer you in the right direction.

T-RICH49
10-27-2011, 02:58 PM
first IMO Weeden is not a 2nd round pick.second Taze >>>>>> Reiff.Belcher needs to be upgraded

Grizzlegom
10-27-2011, 03:22 PM
That's a pretty poor Patriots mock draft. I like the Peter Konz pick, but aside from that I can't see any of the others happening. The Patriots have a great deal of defensive tackle depth and I think they would rather transition back to a 3-4 than stay in a 4-3.

Maybe I'm just an outsider but who? They keep cutting/re-signing Warren, and while he's been solid, he isn't getting any younger and they clearly keep trying to replace him. All I've heard out of Patriot-land is that Brace has been a major disappointment. Am I missing someone? Seems like Wilfork is the only one worth a damn...

Albert Haynesworth was acquired to add a disruptive presence to the sub package and he has looked extremely effective despite missing some time with a back injury. Any Patriots fan will tell you that the Haynesworth trade was a success. Besides that Thompson is more of a one-gap player whereas the Patriots have a gap-control philosophy.

lol wut? This is the first time I've seen anyone suggest that Haynesworth has done anything but backfired on BB and the Pats. Agree about Thompson, was mostly just trying to fit him into the first round somewhere haha.

Nick Toon is more of a possession receiver and not the quick, shifty type that the Patriots have succeeded with in the past. Bruce Irvin is too undersized to draw interest from New England. The Patriots have a strict size requirement for pass rushers which has led to them avoiding various other players in the past. I'd recommend disregarding any prospects under 6'3" and 255 pounds or so. The ability to shed blocks and anchor vs. the run are also essential. I don't mean to be overly critical, I'm just trying to steer you in the right direction.

Disagree about Toon, he's shown the ability to get deep this year and I think he's more than just a possession receiver. Went with Toon because he was something the offense lacks. Didn't realize they stopped trying to find someone in his mold (after going back and looking just now I realize they haven't tried someone in his mold since Chad Jackson). Totally forgot about BBs size thing, don't know how given Miami does the same thing.

Grizzlegom
10-27-2011, 03:22 PM
first IMO Weeden is not a 2nd round pick.second Taze >>>>>> Reiff.Belcher needs to be upgraded

Personally not as big a fan of Taze but I understand that thinking. I'm assuming you don't like Weeden because of his age?

Matthew Jones
10-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Maybe I'm just an outsider but who? They keep cutting/re-signing Warren, and while he's been solid, he isn't getting any younger and they clearly keep trying to replace him. All I've heard out of Patriot-land is that Brace has been a major disappointment. Am I missing someone? Seems like Wilfork is the only one worth a damn...

Aside from Wilfork and Haynesworth, Kyle Love impressed enough last year to earn a spot on the team as an undrafted free agent and has played very well this season. He has been on the field for a significant amount of snaps. Myron Pryor is another effective young player who has done a nice job getting pressure and anchoring against the run, but he's on injured reserve. I would call Brace a disappointment considering his draft status but he's still a decent rotational player. Brandon Deaderick is on PUP as well. Mike Wright is a strong pass rusher who may or may not continue his career.

lol wut? This is the first time I've seen anyone suggest that Haynesworth has done anything but backfired on BB and the Pats. Agree about Thompson, was mostly just trying to fit him into the first round somewhere haha.

Anyone who claims Haynesworth has been a disappointment either hasn't watched the games or had unreasonable expectations regarding his role on the team. The Patriots have tried to limit his snaps to maximize his effectiveness and keep him healthy. He has been unblockable at times.

Disagree about Toon, he's shown the ability to get deep this year and I think he's more than just a possession receiver. Went with Toon because he was something the offense lacks. Didn't realize they stopped trying to find someone in his mold (after going back and looking just now I realize they haven't tried someone in his mold since Chad Jackson). Totally forgot about BBs size thing, don't know how given Miami does the same thing.

The offense does not call for the wide receivers to get open downfield except by play design. The most important things to look at when evaluating a potential Patriots wide receiver is their ability to read defenses and make route adjustments on the fly (option routes.) This requires a great deal of intelligence and Wes Welker's mastery of the option route is why he has been so successful here. Route running is also extremely important because the passing game is predicated on timing. It's not so much about size or speed like it is with a lot of other teams. The reason Ochocinco has struggled is because the offense in Cincinnati called for him to run a specific route rather than having to read defenses and choose the best route. He does not have the same chemistry and timing that the other receivers have with Brady.

The only player who has been successful in recent memory outside of the Patriots' prototype is Randy Moss, who was a once-in-a-lifetime talent. A good fit would be Ryan Broyles, but he's gone in your mock. In that case I think the Patriots would hold off on a wide receiver. Wes Welker and Deion Branch will probably be re-signed because of their chemistry with Brady. Taylor Price looked very good in preseason and will have an increased role if Ochocinco continues to struggle. Julian Edelman provides depth in the slot. Aaron Hernandez is also a wide receiver for all intents and purposes since he almost never blocks.

49erNation85
10-27-2011, 04:06 PM
love the sf picks nice job here.

akvikefan89
10-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Would prefer Martin in the first and Sanu in the second. OT and WR in the first two rounds is right, though...

redbills
10-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Love R1, R2 I'd go Josh Chapman or Dont'a Hightower

Unbiased
10-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Dawan Landry is the SS. Lowery is the FS and he's good anyway. WR would make sense there.

TonyGfortheTD
10-28-2011, 04:34 AM
14. Kansas City Chiefs - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa - Chiefs grab a RT after missing out on all the top QBs.

MEH

46. Kansas City Chiefs - Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State - Cassel needs some competition.

Hey cool, another QB not far from 30 that needs to be developed!

Go_Eagles77
10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Not a huge fan of Kuechly that high, I'd actually prefer Robert Griffin. We also don't need a backup RB in the 2nd round, so that would be the place for a LB (Hightower would be perfect).

detroit4life
10-28-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't see any scenario which detroit doesn't take an Olineman in the first 2 rounds.

ChicagoBearsVet23
10-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Great Bears picks

OSUGiants17
10-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Not a bad draft, but can you please either BOLD the teams/picks or separate them by hitting enter after each pick/explanation? That wall of text is brutal to read and impossible to find your team in.

Matthew Jones
10-28-2011, 07:58 PM

I just saw something interesting re. Haynesworth that I thought I'd pass along. This play is from Andre Carter's fourth-quarter sack against the Cowboys:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8756/cartersack2.jpg

Notice Albert Haynesworth drawing the almost unheard-of triple team to set up the sack. Yeah.

crites09
10-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Love the Martin pick in the second for the Bengals

JPF
10-28-2011, 09:04 PM
First round pick for the Panthers makes sense.

Second round, ehh. The OG's are playing well. The problem with the Panthers ground game (which is semi-overrated since it's came to life the past 3 games) has more to do with the OC getting away from the run too easy. I think you have the right idea (addressing the O-line) just the wrong position. With Otah having been placed on IR for a 3rd time in 4 years I could very easily see the team looking to add an OT early. Byron Bell (rookie UDFA) is currently the starter at RT.

bengalbuck
10-28-2011, 11:31 PM
I love the Bengals draft, though hopefully Pacman ends up being the answer as #2 CB and it isn't a 1st round need. As of now though, it definitely is a big need and I like Jenkins.

Love Lamar Miller. RB is a huge need and he's a great fit.

Safety is definitely a need also, though you mention Reggie Nelson as a negative and he's actually been pretty good so far this year. If he's retained, he probably has a better shot of starting at one of the safety spots than the other starter, Chris Crocker.

Anyway, great work on the needs and players.

Pat Sims 90
10-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Jenkins and Martin is a good pick.

Miller does not fit the type of back that the Bengals need.

Menardo75
10-30-2011, 09:59 PM
I like the SF mock i'm not crazy about Fuller as the WR though.

TheMatriculator
10-30-2011, 11:05 PM

What he said.

nepg
10-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Vehemently disagree with the Chiefs picks. They're not in a hurry to go after a RT. If they were going to do it, they would have done it 3 years ago. And there's absolutely no sense in Weeden. They drafted Stanzi last year, who is as good a prospect as a lot of the guys being looked at as 1st and 2nd round picks this year and the Chiefs absolutely love him.

The Chiefs just aren't drafting a QB. For the picks you have in that draft, Burfict and Dwayne Allen would be my picks. I even have them considering Allen in the first round.

yingxuy
11-15-2011, 06:40 PM
I think you have the right idea (to solve the O-line) is just the wrong location. With the Otah was placed third in the IR in four years, I can easily see the team looking to add early Old Testament.

SickwithIt1010
11-15-2011, 09:58 PM
No need for a runningback in the first 2 rounds, Poe would be a sexy pick instead.

prock
11-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Ashlon Jeffry will not go that high. Give us Mo Claiborne there. How do you have him at 13??

thebow305
11-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Solid Phins draft