PDA

View Full Version : Bucs' Give Tanard Jackson An Extension

Breed
10-27-2011, 02:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7156302/tanard-jackson-tampa-bay-buccaneers-gets-1-year-extension-source-says

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have given safety Tanard Jackson a contract extension and a nice raise for the rest of this season, according to a league source.

Jackson was suspended in September 2010 for one year for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. His contract initially was set to expire after the 2010 season, but league rules for the suspension meant that the remainder of Jackson's contract "tolled" over to 2011.

Jackson was reinstated after missing the first five games and had been scheduled to earn $705,000 for the remainder of this season. But Jackson's new deal calls for him to earn $1 million this season.

In 2012, his base salary will jump to $2 million. He also will get a $200,000 roster bonus on the first day of the league year and will earn a $50,000 bonus for every game that he's on the 53-man roster. Jackson's cap figure for 2010 will be $2.95 million.

Bucs get a steal with this deal...

vidae
10-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Haha, such a huge steal for a guy that was suspended an entire year.

V.I.P
10-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Haha, such a huge steal for a guy that was suspended an entire year.

lol ha yeah no way he was gonna get big money, he's a 3rd time offender, next offense and he is booted from the NFL.

This is a big commitment. In 2 games he's already shown how big an impact he has on the field. Already leads the team in INTs.. he's still just 26 also. I like the move..another year and a little more money. Let's hope he stays straight.

tjsunstein
10-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Hell of a player, but so dumb! The money is a steal for his talent but his character concerns are very concerning. I wouldn't be surprised if he were out of the league for good within the next two years. Some guys can't stay out of trouble for whatever reason although they have the money and support to avoid it at all costs. Incredible talent though, loved him when he came out.

bucfan12
10-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Hell of a player, but so dumb! The money is a steal for his talent but his character concerns are very concerning. I wouldn't be surprised if he were out of the league for good within the next two years. Some guys can't stay out of trouble for whatever reason although they have the money and support to avoid it at all costs. Incredible talent though, loved him when he came out.

Talent is there to be an All Pro Free Safety. 2 INTs in 2 games after not playing for 56 weeks is pretty impressive.

I think this is just to gurantee his services for 2012. If he keeps his nose clean this offseason and throughout next season, he'll get a long term contract. But, the Bucs will definately protect themselves. Althoguh if they hand him a huge deal, and he gets booted from the league, I'm pretty sure the contract voids right?

Brodeur
10-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Character concerns TJ? He smokes weed, that isn't a character concern. It's not like he's Aqib Talib with this ****.

bucfan12
10-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Character concerns TJ? He smokes weed, that isn't a character concern. It's not like he's Aqib Talib with this ****.

This. I feel Talib won't be a Buccaneers for very long. Anyone else watch him get that personal foul after a stop on 3rd and goal?

Omar
10-29-2011, 07:55 PM

Ya its not a character concern. Although unfortunately in the NFL, smoking weed twice(three times) gets you suspended for a year....all the actually bad **** that Aqib has done doesn't result in any missed games

Caddy
10-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Putting money aside, this is a good deal for the Bucs. Tanard has been back two games and already has two picks to his name. The contract is incentive laden to if he decides to smoke another joint, the team has safe-guarded himself. Easily one of the most talented players at the position, hopefully he can leave the 'character concerns' in his past.

yo123
10-30-2011, 12:19 AM

According to the NFL it's a character concern and that's all that matters.

Breed
10-30-2011, 09:25 AM
According to the NFL it's a character concern and that's all that matters.

I don't see how, every one smokes a little weed from time to time. Weed doesn't make you commit crimes.

yo123
10-30-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't see how, every one smokes a little weed from time to time. Weed doesn't make you commit crimes.

I'm not saying I have a problem with it, I'm saying if he continues to get caught smoking he's going to continue getting in trouble.

MetSox17
10-30-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm pretty neutral on the pot smoking issue, but i'll tell you what, even if i absolutely loved smoking it, and i did it every night and day, if i had a job i was very good at that paid multiple millions of dollars, i sure as hell would not put it at risk over smoking pot. Eventually you have to sit and really think about whether losing your career, along with millions of dollars, is worth it for smoking a joint or two a day. That's just plain dumb.

niel89
10-30-2011, 12:18 PM
I think that few people think weed is that bad, but when your multi-million dollar job is on the line you need to get your **** together.

billybeejr
10-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Isn't it every stoner's dream to retire at 30 and chief in retirement for 0 years? Tanard needs to wait. I think he'll be fine after sitting out an entire year for this ****.