PDA

View Full Version : Fitzmagic signs a 6 year, 59 million dollar deal

Leon Sandcastle
10-28-2011, 12:47 PM
33 million in the first 3 years and 24 million in GTD moniezzz!

Now his Harvard buddies can't clown him for being the poorest of them all. This is the going rate for QB's now. He got a smaller deal than Kevin Kolb and Matt Cassel.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7160727/ryan-fitzpatrick-buffalo-bills-agrees-new-contract

NY+Giants=NYG
10-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Harvard man!

Congrats! I like him. The guy has a sense of humor too!. I will only throw the ball to guys who say good things about me to the media, lol. Seems like a cool guy. Props to him!

FlyingElvis
10-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Fitz is looking more and more like a great move by the Bills. Let's see if they're smart enough to make Fred Jackson a priority.

Leon Sandcastle
10-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Harvard man!

Congrats! I like him. The guy has a sense of humor too!. I will only throw the ball to guys who say good things about me to the media, lol. Seems like a cool guy. Props to him!

Hahaha! He's pretty funny with the cheesy t-shirts too.

Leon Sandcastle
10-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Fitz is looking more and more like a great move by the Bills. Let's see if they're smart enough to make Fred Jackson a priority.

Fred Jackson and Stevie Johnson are next.

Leon Sandcastle
10-28-2011, 12:52 PM
This probably eliminates the chance of us taking a QB this year but looking ahead I wouldn't put it pass the Front Office to look at QB next year if there is a good one there.

Sit him for 2-3 years and groom him under Fitz.

This probably means the Bills are going Defense heavy in April.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Hahaha! He's pretty funny with the cheesy t-shirts too.

Yeah he seems like a really chill guy. I remember him coming out that year. I like rooting for guys like that. Hope he can be successful, and I am glad he got his pay day.

K Train
10-28-2011, 01:03 PM
not much to not like about him....hes come a long way since he entered the league

CC.SD
10-28-2011, 01:05 PM
haha between Fitz, Stevie and Freddy Buffalo has stumbled into a pretty good little trio. Fun! Thanks again for beating Denver in week 17 of 2008 buffalo.

descendency
10-28-2011, 01:07 PM
http://o.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/26/26221/ryanfitzssws_jpg_630x1200_upscale_q85.jpg

Everytime I see his name, I think of this.

Unbiased
10-28-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't get it. He's 6 games into the only great year he's had, statistically. Was he actually somehow great last year and it only looks like he was bad?

Splat
10-28-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't get it. He's 6 games into the only great year he's had, statistically. Was he actually somehow great last year and it only looks like he was bad?

He had 23 TD's to 15 Ints last year that ain't bad. I don't think he will ever be all pro but if you can find a solid starting QB you keep him.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-28-2011, 02:14 PM
He had 23 TD's to 15 Ints last year that ain't bad. I don't think he will ever be all pro but if you can find a solid starting QB you keep him.

That's good! You have a solid RB and WR, and you build on that. Maybe more WRs and perhaps a good TE. You have yourself a good offense then. I am a fan of him. This new system has helped. Even Fewell our DC, and their former interim coach, said that that's a new system on offense and really is a good fit for Fitz.

Rob S
10-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Chan Gailey deserves a lot of the credit here imo. Props to Fitz obviously and I take nothing away from the guy, but Gailey can develop the **** out of QBs. For a guy who was a bit of a joke appointment, he has done some incredible things with this offense.

JBCX
10-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Saw this on twitter: "Finally a white man from Harvard manages to succeed against all odds. When's the movie coming out?"

killxswitch
10-28-2011, 02:30 PM
I've been a casual Fitzpatrick fan since he earned the starting job. Good deal for both sides.

RaiderNation
10-28-2011, 05:44 PM
He's improved every season the last few years, I'd say he is a top 12 QB in the league.

Ness
10-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Last year he was actually pretty decent even though the Bills didn't win that many games. I think this contract extension is deserved. Buffalo has been searching for a franchise quarterback for a long time and Fitzpatrick is the best one they've probably had since Kelly retired, including Flutie.

Rob S
10-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Last year he was actually pretty decent even though the Bills didn't win that many games. I think this contract extension is deserved. Buffalo has been searching for a franchise quarterback for a long time and Fitzpatrick is the best one they've probably had since Kelly retired, including Flutie.

Flutie was so awesome.....maybe it is an emotional thing and as a kid you just have to love Doug Flutie, but I still wonder what could have been if we started him in the playoffs instead of Rob Johnson. I mean, the Titans were a yard away from the Super Bowl and we should have beat them and thats with Rob Johnson anchoring us down.

Ness
10-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Flutie was so awesome.....maybe it is an emotional thing and as a kid you just have to love Doug Flutie, but I still wonder what could have been if we started him in the playoffs instead of Rob Johnson. I mean, the Titans were a yard away from the Super Bowl and we should have beat them and thats with Rob Johnson anchoring us down.

Could you imagine the media hoopla these days if a coach did something like that. Even in Buffalo. Wade Phillips would have been killed before the game even started.

shane_man
10-29-2011, 09:50 AM
He's improved every season the last few years, I'd say he is a top 12 QB in the league.

I like him... I think he will be a good solid starter for Buffalo for the rest of his career if the rest of the team around him is assembled correctly. But there is no way he has/is or will ever be a top 12 QB in the league.

Reminds me of the Romo resigning actually. Midway through his first year fully starting and he gets a six year deal. As long as the front office shows solidarity with the coaching staff for a few years. Buffalo might actually turn the corner... Even if they are in the same division as NE and the J-E-T-S~!~!~!...

Good luck to him.

Paul
10-29-2011, 10:08 AM
This probably eliminates the chance of us taking a QB this year but looking ahead I wouldn't put it pass the Front Office to look at QB next year if there is a good one there.

Do you mean a first on a QB next year? Don't really understand that logic, Fitz is only 28.

tjsunstein
10-29-2011, 11:18 AM
What I get from these comments is, if you're not Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady then you're easily replaceable. Solid starting QBs are hard to come by contrary to popular belief and when you have a guy like Fitzpatrick who is still getting better at 28, you keep him around.

asdf1223
10-29-2011, 11:47 AM
It's about 16 in terms of average money paid per year and 14 in terms of average money per year in the first 3 years. Really good deal for the Bills. Still would like to see them draft a guy like RG3 who they can sit for a couple of years and develop him for the system.

BeerBaron
10-29-2011, 12:06 PM
I have some concern that this could be another Garrard situation. That's always a concern to me when extending QBs who don't quite have the franchise tools you want to see, but are having one great season.

You'll all say "BeerBaron, this is different. Fitzpatrick is blah blah blah better than than Garrard who is blah blah blah."

I don't think so. Both are guys who had (or are having in Fitzpatrick's case) one great season, well beyond anything they had done prior in their careers.

Garrard had a great season in 2007, where he only threw 3 picks and picked up a playoff win against the Steelers. He took a major jump over what he had played like at any point before.

But afterward, he became "painfully average" in that he was never outright bad, but he failed to ever repeat the success of that one season. And that handicapped the Jaguars as they couldn't justify moving on from Garrard, but he never led them to where a guy being paid like a franchise QB should be.

I worry about the same thing happening with Fitzpatrick. He is far exceeding his career averages this year (his completion percentage this year is nearly 10% higher than in his previous years.)

Additionally, look at who they've played thus far. Fitz got to crank up his stats against the Chiefs who forgot to show up in week 1, and again against the league's worst pass defense in the Pats. If you look at the games in which the Bills lost, the Bengals and Giants, Fitzpatrick was held in check and struggled.

I understand that the Bills had essentially no choice but to extend him, but that doesn't make me feel right about it. I have a sneaky feeling that in about 3 years, the Bills, after a series of .500 or so seasons, will be in the same situation as the Jaguars were with Garrard.

It also doesn't help the Bills that they had such a streak of making ****** high round picks. I definitely feel they're overachieving a bit (they'd be a .500 team if the ball didn't bounce their way 4 times against the Pats) and all of that missing talent they could have added in those years they drafted poorly. (Maybin, McKelvin/Hardy, Lynch/Puz who isn't on the team, Whitner/McCargo...)

All misses (except Puz who left via FA and isn't with the team.) If they had even gotten solid, average starters out of those guys they'd be in better shape as a team. They've made up for it a little by finding some other guys (Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson) but they will be lacking on the high end talent for a while due to all of those misses in years past.

Ness
10-29-2011, 12:29 PM
I have some concern that this could be another Garrard situation. That's always a concern to me when extending QBs who don't quite have the franchise tools you want to see, but are having one great season.

You'll all say "BeerBaron, this is different. Fitzpatrick is blah blah blah better than than Garrard who is blah blah blah."

I don't think so. Both are guys who had (or are having in Fitzpatrick's case) one great season, well beyond anything they had done prior in their careers.

Garrard had a great season in 2007, where he only threw 3 picks and picked up a playoff win against the Steelers. He took a major jump over what he had played like at any point before.

But afterward, he became "painfully average" in that he was never outright bad, but he failed to ever repeat the success of that one season. And that handicapped the Jaguars as they couldn't justify moving on from Garrard, but he never led them to where a guy being paid like a franchise QB should be.

I worry about the same thing happening with Fitzpatrick. He is far exceeding his career averages this year (his completion percentage this year is nearly 10% higher than in his previous years.)

Additionally, look at who they've played thus far. Fitz got to crank up his stats against the Chiefs who forgot to show up in week 1, and again against the league's worst pass defense in the Pats. If you look at the games in which the Bills lost, the Bengals and Giants, Fitzpatrick was held in check and struggled.

I understand that the Bills had essentially no choice but to extend him, but that doesn't make me feel right about it. I have a sneaky feeling that in about 3 years, the Bills, after a series of .500 or so seasons, will be in the same situation as the Jaguars were with Garrard.

It also doesn't help the Bills that they had such a streak of making ****** high round picks. I definitely feel they're overachieving a bit (they'd be a .500 team if the ball didn't bounce their way 4 times against the Pats) and all of that missing talent they could have added in those years they drafted poorly. (Maybin, McKelvin/Hardy, Lynch/Puz who isn't on the team, Whitner/McCargo...)

All misses (except Puz who left via FA and isn't with the team.) If they had even gotten solid, average starters out of those guys they'd be in better shape as a team. They've made up for it a little by finding some other guys (Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson) but they will be lacking on the high end talent for a while due to all of those misses in years past.

Garrard and Fitzpatrick are reportedly two different types of people though. Fitzpatrick was performing well last season despite the team not having that many wins. He is just carrying that momentum into this season. Garrard had that one good season in 2007, but afterward as his career went on there were reports of him not studying very hard and quite frankly, not taking is job very seriously. Garrard had talent and looked like a guy that deserved a shot from the beginning. Fitzpatrick looked terrible from the beginning and really had to work his way up the ladder. Watching Fitzpatrick play now, the way he throws the ball and where he places it, it's like night and day. I don't think this is going to be a Garrard or Derek Anderson situation.

Oh and even though the Bills lost that game against the Giants, Fitzpatrick will was driving that offense up and down the field. Fitzpatrick just threw a couple of interceptions in that game that cost the team. And it wasn't Fitzpatrick throwing into random coverage either. Webster made two great plays on both picks.

Vox Populi
10-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Those two picks that Fitz threw last week to Webster were all on him. Both throws Stevie Johnson had Webster beat down the sideline by 2+ steps and both times Fitz well under threw the ball. If you aren't sure about that, watch the press conference after the game, he puts it all on himself and rightfully so. The Bills probably should have been running the ball for the 2nd pick, but Stevie was still well open, it was just an under throw. I think this week against the Redskins there will be a few deep passes in Skydome, and I'm pretty sure they're putting turf down for the game since thats what the Argos play on. Could be a big game for Johnson, Spiller and Jackson.

Leon Sandcastle
10-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Do you mean a first on a QB next year? Don't really understand that logic, Fitz is only 28.

He's turning 29 in a month and yeah it allows us to groom his eventual successor/upgrade instead of just throwing him to the wolves like we did with Losman and Edwards.

But if the Front Office holds off the next two years I'm cool with that too as long as we go BPA/Defense Heavy.

JagWired32
10-29-2011, 02:43 PM
I dont think they should pick a qb next year early, Fitz is still rather young and has been good this year. Well deserved to get a solid pay day.

Ness
10-29-2011, 04:04 PM
He's turning 29 in a month and yeah it allows us to groom his eventual successor/upgrade instead of just throwing him to the wolves like we did with Losman and Edwards.

But if the Front Office holds off the next two years I'm cool with that too as long as we go BPA/Defense Heavy.

Steve Young wasn't a starter until he was 30. No need to rush it and pick a quarterback in the first round. Maybe in the later rounds if someone you like is really there and the value is nice. But the Bills should focus on defense the next couple of years.

Raiderz4Life
10-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Steve Young wasn't a starter until he was 30. No need to rush it and pick a quarterback in the first round. Maybe in the later rounds if someone you like is really there and the value is nice. But the Bills should focus on defense the next couple of years.

Didn't he start in his 20s for Tampa?

Rob S
10-29-2011, 04:11 PM
We gotta go defense. I will be furious if we go QB early unless the value is just unreal.

Auron
10-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Numbers look similar to what Drew Brees signed back in 2006.

I can definitely see why the Bills did this, after the past QBs they've dealt with in JP Losman, and Trent Edwards even if Fitz isn't going to be that Elite Franchise guy he's still pretty good for what they do. Fitz is having a great year, hopefully he can keep it up..

Ness
10-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Didn't he start in his 20s for Tampa?

Well yeah, back when he was terrible. I meant that he wasn't playing well as a starter until he got the job when he was 30 (after sitting several years on the bench behind Joe Montana) and went out on to have seven, arguably eight very successful years in the NFL. His road is kind of similar with Fitzpatrick as Fitzpatrick himself really didn't start blooming in his career until last season after in being in the league for more than five years.

Then against Fitzpatrick may not be able to play when he's 37-38. Still, the Bills shouldn't be thinking about an early round quarterback now. That would be stupid.

Ness
10-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Those two picks that Fitz threw last week to Webster were all on him. Both throws Stevie Johnson had Webster beat down the sideline by 2+ steps and both times Fitz well under threw the ball. If you aren't sure about that, watch the press conference after the game, he puts it all on himself and rightfully so. The Bills probably should have been running the ball for the 2nd pick, but Stevie was still well open, it was just an under throw. I think this week against the Redskins there will be a few deep passes in Skydome, and I'm pretty sure they're putting turf down for the game since thats what the Argos play on. Could be a big game for Johnson, Spiller and Jackson.

Yeah the balls were just underthrown. Not a big deal it happens. It's a lot better than blindly throwing into double coverage when a receiver isn't even there.

Rosebud
10-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Gerrard is also a lot more of a keep bad things from happening QB whereas Fitzy actually makes things happen with his arm. Fitzy's always made plays but he's gotten better and better at keeping the negative plays down so he hasn't just jumped out into being average, he's been very hit or miss and progressively missed less and less.

SuperMcGee
10-31-2011, 07:03 PM

I don't like how that covers about any counterargument anyone could try to make, but you're speaking out of opinion so I guess it doesn't matter. Just rubs me the wrong way.

It's the offense, I can't deny that. And the offense is even quite different from last year, which is why Evans was shipped out. But even in this system, the fact that we still triumph over teams is often due to Fitz' willingness to try riskier throws, which is why we were such a different team with him at the helm instead of Edwards, even before Gailey.

Not going to apologize for those games. It obviously wasn't all due to the Chiefs "not showing up". He picked them apart and didn't even play in the fourth quarter. We dominated again this past week, coming off of a bye. Fitzpatrick and Gailey are damn smart and have been great when they have more than one week to prepare.

Sorry if the Patriots suck on defense, but I'm still going to be impressed when somebody pulls off a 21-point comeback against them. In such an emotional victory for that crowd, too, he really comes off as a leader at the position and that is embraced more than anybody I have seen in my time as a knowledgeable Bills fan.

The ball didn't bounce our way four times, either. Say what you will about Ocho huffing dong, but Wilson and McKelvin both got inside of the throws to take them away. There wouldn't have even been such a deficit if our first pick didn't bounce off of Donald Jones' hands and right to Arrington, anyway. It works both ways. Hell, he would've beaten the AFC champion Steelers last year had Stevie not dropped that perfectly placed longball in overtime (or if God hadn't made him do it, that is). But that's a bad bounce.

And yes, we lost those two games against two good defenses with 5-2 records. Barely. Every quarterback struggles through games. Throwing a 4th-round pick out into his first start at left tackle against the New York Giants usually doesn't help things. But the fact that these struggles are not the norm is what is encouraging. He came back this week against another good defense that was putting a good amount of pressure in his face and he came through with a highly efficient victory.

Of course we are overachieving on paper. I'd argue that Gailey is undoubtedly one of the top 3 coaches in the league, this year. Fitzpatrick is not the dominant player on this offense, either. But he's the right one for it. In the end, this response might not be much different from what you said - it is just something the Bills had to do. I can't be certain of how good he will be moving forward, but I do look at this a little differently than most people from outside of Buffalo. The team has only been relevant when he has been in there over the past three years. 14-15 with him, 1-9 without, including a brutal schedule last year. Not the greatest by any means, but not too shabby for working with a roster that we all can (and have) readily admit is bereft of talent. With it only getting better (last year was immensely progressive, despite where we were picking in the draft) and all of us just guessing about this anyway, I can't help but disagree and say that I do feel good about this. Very good.

BigBanger
10-31-2011, 07:58 PM

You know what the rest of your post sounded like to me? Blah blah blah.

Just thought that was weird and I've never seen someone actually say, "I don't want to hear any counter arguments." And then you go on to make a very long post with incorrect opinions in it. But anyway ...

I'm not the type that tries to call one player "the next so and so" to make it sound like I have an argument, or that the player I'm comparing his history of success (or failure) to has something to do with a totally different player. I'll just talk about Fitzpatrick and leave it at that.

I see a guy surrounded by a solid offensive line (lead inside by Wood and Levitre). Its complimented by one of the best RBs in the NFL right now and the only true playmaker on that offense. Stevie Johnson is a solid WR, but not a standout #1 guy. Beyond that they have decent, at the very best, depth guys at WRs lead by mostly by David Nelson. Their scheme is beneficial to Fitzpatrick's success since it masks a lot of the talent they lack on offense and creates great one-on-one matchups.

I don't think Fitzpatrick is getting confused by anyone as one of the elite QBs in this league. He is, however, a good QB and a player who is making enough plays in the passing game to lead an average Bills team to a great record. Last year he threw for 3,000 yards and 23 TDs. He gets rid of the ball quickly with anticipation and timing. He's efficiently running a quick hitting offense and his accuracy is improving. And he's doing this with some lackluster talent at WR and TE. Not bad players, but they look a lot better in that scheme and with Fitzpatrick running it than I think they really are. I think he's a good building piece for Buffalo and I think this is a good extension. I think they need to get him a serious talent at WR and continue building on that defense which is very strong up the middle with some young talent at DL and Safety.

NotRickJames
11-02-2011, 02:08 AM

Completely eliminates it, imo. Nix said point blank he's the face of the franchise.

I like Fitz.