PDA

View Full Version : Kawika Mitchell

Jughead10
03-26-2007, 09:43 AM
No mention on him coming in for a visit yet? How does everyone feel about this? To me it is very blah.

bigbluedefense
03-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Yeah, its pretty blah if you ask me.

Go_Eli
03-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Better move than bringing in Spikes..

GiantRutgersFan
03-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Better move than bringing in Spikes..

completely disagree.

I for one am sick of being mediocre at the linebacker position. Bring in Spikes and Paul P, and we got an elite unit.

But if we do sign Mitchell, I would be ok with it, provided that we still draft a LB in the first 2 rounds of the draft.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-26-2007, 10:48 AM
No mention on him coming in for a visit yet? How does everyone feel about this? To me it is very blah.

Blah.. He would make a better OLB than MLB though, and thats coming from their board. But I'd rather play our own than use other peoples players. Play our younger guys and build from within.

liquidswords
03-26-2007, 11:38 AM
He will be coming for a visit: http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1380

I guess we won't be getting Spikes after all..

Damix
03-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Depending on his contract he could be a better pick up then Spikes. Plus hes in his prime. Could be our SAM for years to come

hugegmenfan
03-26-2007, 02:03 PM
hes a good player- id take him, especially if we cant get a good deal for spikes

Go_Eli
03-26-2007, 02:07 PM
And he wouldn't cost a draft pick!

hugegmenfan
03-26-2007, 02:09 PM
After trade talks for Broncos linebacker collapsed March 23, just before the deal was about to go through, the New York Giants arranged March 25 for Kansas City free-agent linebacker Kawika Mitchell to visit today. Pending a physical, the New York Giants are expected to reach agreement on a one-year deal with Mitchell.
From Adam Sheffy

Damix
03-26-2007, 02:30 PM
1 year deal is good and bad at the same time

Go_Eli
03-26-2007, 02:33 PM
1 year deal is good and bad at the same time

Why? I think it's great.

If he stinks, cya later. If he's real good and there's a mutual want to stay in New York, extend him before FA. Giants could draft a guy in the first round, let him sit behind Mitchell, and let Mitchell walk without any major cap ramifications.

Jughead10
03-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Why? I think it's great.

If he stinks, cya later. If he's real good and there's a mutual want to stay in New York, extend him before FA. Giants could draft a guy in the first round, let him sit behind Mitchell, and let Mitchell walk without any major cap ramifications.

Or maybe Mitchell doesn't even start. Maybe we draft a rookie anyway and someone like Wilkinson impresses so much that he starts too.

scottyboy
03-26-2007, 02:37 PM
ehh i really hope he doesnt start

liquidswords
03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
It's a done deal :

The Giants will sign LB Kawika Mitchell to a one-year, $1 million contract.
Mitchell is young (27), big (253 pounds), athletic, and has racked up over 100 tackles the past two seasons. It appears he'll use this year in New York to show he can play outside and reenter the free agent market in 2008 with versatility on his resume. The Giants could be getting a steal if Mitchell, a middle linebacker in Kansas City, excels on the strong side.

From Rotoworld. I think it's a great move.

Damix
03-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Why? I think it's great.

I don't have an argument with what you said, and thats why a 1 year deal is good. But only giving him a 1 year deal, for only 1 mil shows how much the league thinks of him. Its not that the 1 year is overly bad, its just what I shows about the player

Also I like this deal, what do OLBs need to be in our system (or hope to be system)?

Big and athletic, won't get swallowed up on blitzes, hopefully he can cover

ricky bobby
03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
I thinks it's a great deal. He is very underrated and has the potential to be our starting SLB. He's young and the fact that he doesn't cost us a draft pick, or huge money are all pluses. I hope we still draft a guy like Tim Shaw or Justin Durant in the mid rounds to develop for next year.

PS - Are you guys aware that we lost out of Vonta Leach? I haven't heard any gripes or complaints.

scottyboy
03-26-2007, 03:44 PM
im happy we didnt get vonta- and this move makes sense- talented guy, cheap, vet, could start or bea back up

GiantRutgersFan
03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
I thinks it's a great deal. He is very underrated and has the potential to be our starting SLB. He's young and the fact that he doesn't cost us a draft pick, or huge money are all pluses. I hope we still draft a guy like Tim Shaw or Justin Durant in the mid rounds to develop for next year.

PS - Are you guys aware that we lost out of Vonta Leach? I haven't heard any gripes or complaints.

I would imagine that this wont change our draft plans at all.

Stick him at SAM, draft a LB for WILL (Paul P or Beason...) and let Wilk/Chase develop some more

Damix
03-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Wonder if Short will still come back.

Go_Eli
03-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Doubt Short comes back.

Also, how many teams needed a MLB?

Number 10
03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Great job by Reese.

These showcase deals have a tendency to bring out the best in players.

Splat
03-26-2007, 04:06 PM
I don't see KM not starting he might not be a pro bowler but he is a starter in the NFL he just doesn't fit in the cover two that is why we let him walk. He had his best year last season this year he kinda fell back some because of the system IMO. He is a down hill LB plays the run pretty good but has been known to miss a tackle or two in the open field do to bad hip move meant. He is pretty good at making sure players are were they need to be not a true leader but has shown signs that he could turn in to one. I liked him more then most Chiefs fans he has never had a great line to work with and has had a new DC or system 3 out 4 years which has slowed him down.

Go_Eli
03-26-2007, 04:09 PM
I can't tell you guys how much I love this deal. I think it's a great move on Reese's part.

1 year audition almost: if he plays well under Spags, maybe we keep him. If he doesn't, little harm done as he walks. He's gonna be hungry and play with fire.

Plus, if the Giants snag a LB in the first round, that rookie can fight it out with Mitchell. Best man wins. If Mitchell wins, great, the draftee has a year to learn. If the draftee wins, awesome, nice job drafting.

Forenci
03-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Wow. We got him for 1 million? That's amazing. I really love what Reese has been doing this off-season. I think he's been feverish in trying to get a veteran OLB because he's using free agency to compliment the draft, not the other way around like some teams do, such as the Redskins or Raiders.

I think he's been going after a veteran linebacker to allow us to pursue a Cornerback or Linemen in the first round. Makes sense to me, and will allow us to draft someone like Stuard Bradley in the third round (one of the few good and true SAMs) and have him develop a bit before he gets the start.

Great move, Jerry.

Number 10
03-26-2007, 04:35 PM
I think the best case scenario is as follows-

Put Mitchell at SAM and let him compete with Torbor (which Mitchell will undoubtedly win).

Pierce at MLB.

Wilkinson-Blackburn-day one rookie battle it out for the WILL spot. You could still go with Poz or Willis in the 1st which would give us the best LB crew we have had here in a long time....or you could go for an Everett or Alexander in round 2 who are similar to what we've got there already, or go with a Durant/Black in round 3 who bring in loads of athleticism that every now and then win jobs in camp unexpectedly.

Forenci
03-26-2007, 05:17 PM

Put Mitchell at SAM and let him compete with Torbor (which Mitchell will undoubtedly win).

Pierce at MLB.

Wilkinson-Blackburn-day one rookie battle it out for the WILL spot. You could still go with Poz or Willis in the 1st which would give us the best LB crew we have had here in a long time....or you could go for an Everett or Alexander in round 2 who are similar to what we've got there already, or go with a Durant/Black in round 3 who bring in loads of athleticism that every now and then win jobs in camp unexpectedly.

I'm a fan of taking either Durant or Black in the third as opposed to a higher pick like Pos/Willis to be honest. I think the WILL spot is fine with Wilkinson and Blackburn manning it during the season, might end up out well with a rotation between the two. Durant and Black could use the year to learn how to play the SAM behind Mitchell. Even if Mitchell doesn't mentor whoever we pick in the third, I'm certain Antonio would teach them at the very least the value of watching a lot of film. He's a great mentor.

Giants Pride
03-26-2007, 06:25 PM

Pierce at MLB.

Agree with that scenarion 100%. This move gives us tons of flexibility.

I would add to it as well though because we truly do have a lot of options now.

We could trade back to 30 and then maybe get Timmons or Beason there. OR Sit back and see if maybe we can get Wilson on the cheap now because the market is not there and take a LB like Bradley in the 2nd. Or even take a flyer on a guy like Spikes. Bottom line is that we really have a lot of flexibility now.

In terms of what Mitchell brings to this team I am really intrigued. He is 250lbs and he managed to have success in a cover 2 scheme without a lot of talent around him. He is reasonably athletic (his pro day numbers in 2003 were better then Briggs' for example). And the best part is that he has all the intangibles and has started 26 straight games. Younger, more athletic, less injury prone. Jerry Reese is doing a bang up job.

hugegmenfan
03-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Agree with that scenarion 100%. This move gives us tons of flexibility.

I would add to it as well though because we truly do have a lot of options now.

We could trade back to 30 and then maybe get Timmons or Beason there. OR Sit back and see if maybe we can get Wilson on the cheap now because the market is not there and take a LB like Bradley in the 2nd. Or even take a flyer on a guy like Spikes. Bottom line is that we really have a lot of flexibility now.

In terms of what Mitchell brings to this team I am really intrigued. He is 250lbs and he managed to have success in a cover 2 scheme without a lot of talent around him. He is reasonably athletic (his pro day numbers in 2003 were better then Briggs' for example). And the best part is that he has all the intangibles and has started 26 straight games. Younger, more athletic, less injury prone. Jerry Reese is doing a bang up job.

Yes i think thats a great idea. Trade back to the high 20s and we could still get timmons which is in my opinion the perfect plan. We get may be an extra 3rd-4th rounder and are able address that many more positions.
I love Justin Durant- i think he is goin to be a fabulous nfl player and if we could get him 3rd round i would b pleased, if a LB is not taken 1st.
Im also pleased with what Reese has done so far- he has established himself in the office and continues to do so, and clearly made a statement about the giants new plans.

GiantRutgersFan
03-26-2007, 06:53 PM
I also like Durant.

But what I think we should do, is attempt a trade down. If not possible, take Poz, Willis, Brown, Staley, Revis, or best available WR.

if we trade down to the late 20s for a 3rd rounder. Then we could choose between Joe Staley, Jon Beason, Micheal Griffin, Timmons, Darrelle Revis, and a multitude of WRs. Plus someone who slips, which is possible.

ricky bobby
03-26-2007, 07:10 PM
CB and WR are our top two needs now.

Number 10
03-26-2007, 07:38 PM
CB and WR are our top two needs now.

Don't overlook LT if Levi Brown falls. I am currently making a board, hopefully have it up later tonight.

GiantRutgersFan
03-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Don't overlook LT if Levi Brown falls. I am currently making a board, hopefully have it up later tonight.

It wouldn't shock me if we took Joe Staley at 20 either.

I would like that if were not getting Poz or Beason.

Go_Eli
03-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Legit question...how come everyone thinks LT is such a pressing need?

Number 10
03-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Legit question...how come everyone thinks LT is such a pressing need?

Diehl was shaky at best in his short tenure at LT and while I think he could do a fine job, I don't want Seubert starting and I don't want a mid round rookie starting at G either.

Levi Brown, other than Thomas of course, is the only LT that I think can start right away and do a fine job. A left duo of Brown/Diehl sounds much better than Diehl/Seubert or Diehl/mid round rookie

hugegmenfan
03-26-2007, 08:40 PM

It wouldn't shock me if we took Joe Staley at 20 either.

I would like that if were not getting Poz or Beason.

I do think LT is a huge need but im strongly against taking Joe Staley 20th overall- we could probably trade into early in the 2nd round and take him truthfully- i do not see that big of a difference between him and tony ugoh skillwise. I am 100% of trading down no matter no matter how many xtra picks we can get.

Ricky Bobby- you said CB and WR our now our top needs. I would say its ridiculous to overlook OLB and OT. They are bigger than WR. Just because we signed Kawika Mitchell, a decent MLB, that the position is now solved. We have work to do @ OLB and i still would be in favor of an OLB with our 1st pick. OLB NEEDS to be taken day 1, whether Timmons, Poz or Beason round 1 or Everett or Alexander round 2-3.

ricky bobby
03-26-2007, 08:45 PM
I'd rather Staley over Brown. The NFL DE's are getting faster and more athletic. Pressuring the QB is becoming very important to defenses. I think Staley has the speed, athleticism and quickness to neutralize quick DEs.

Number 10
03-26-2007, 08:58 PM
I'd rather Staley over Brown. The NFL DE's are getting faster and more athletic. Pressuring the QB is becoming very important to defenses. I think Staley has the speed, athleticism and quickness to neutralize quick DEs.

Staley is a project still, and Brown is quicker than you think. Certainly quicker than Petitgout and Petitgout handled speed rushers just fine.

Go_Eli
03-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Diehl was shaky at best in his short tenure at LT and while I think he could do a fine job, I don't want Seubert starting and I don't want a mid round rookie starting at G either.

Levi Brown, other than Thomas of course, is the only LT that I think can start right away and do a fine job. A left duo of Brown/Diehl sounds much better than Diehl/Seubert or Diehl/mid round rookie

What knowledge do you have of Whimper?