PDA

View Full Version : NFL Life expectancy of Percy Harvin

shylo3716
10-30-2011, 02:35 PM
By all means don't get me wrong with Harvin, I know he is tough as nails, but how much longer will he last in the league. If it's not one thing with him it's another... migrane, ankle, ribs etc. We all know the migrane issues are something he has no control over whatsoever, but it's every week that he is on the injury report list for something different. Minnesota have placed a lot of value over his head by making him the #1 primary guy in the receiving unit by not bringing Sidney Rice back, which means a lot about his playmaking ability.

Me personally I am all for Percy to be successful in the league, but I just don't see him being around much longer than 4 more years if that.

http://www.nflnewsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/Percy-Harvin.jpg

tjsunstein
10-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Cool ******* story.

niel89
10-30-2011, 02:53 PM
He needs more RB carries.

sbh15
10-30-2011, 03:04 PM
seriously? his migraine issues are gone. he has some bruised ribs now. he's a football player, this **** happens

djp
10-30-2011, 03:05 PM
He's been banged up a lot. I don't think it's too far fetched to make a topic like this. But it's just the way he plays. He's not that big but he runs into guys like he's Peterson constantly.

shylo3716
10-30-2011, 03:12 PM
While at UF a lot of his injuries came from taking hits when he would not wait for his blockers and outrun them. Once he realized that he said he knew that's where most of his injuries came from.

sbh15
10-30-2011, 03:21 PM
it's fair to wonder about the toll these injuries will take on him, but at the same time, the only nfl games he's missed have been from an issue which is now resolved.

shylo3716
10-30-2011, 03:30 PM
it's fair to wonder about the toll these injuries will take on him, but at the same time, the only nfl games he's missed have been from an issue which is now resolved.

Indeed, but we will see. There is only so much the body can take and I'm sure you're aware of this, but it's a weekly thing for him. I could bring up another name in the league, but I don't want the topic of discussion to sway from Percy.

FUNBUNCHER
10-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Durability is such an underrated trait for football players. Some guy's bodies just aren't built for the long haul despite all the weight lifting and conditioning in the offseason.

Emmitt Smith's greatest characteristic IMO was how durable he was playing a position that received more physical abuse on a per play basis than any player on a football field.

It's only is what, Harvin's 2nd or 3rd season?? I just assume he's going through a bad stretch and will eventually stay healthy.

shylo3716
10-30-2011, 04:04 PM
So what was the cure for his migrane problems, because it was said it had been a long ongoing problem for him.

BigBanger
10-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Cool ******* story.
Why the response? Were you gonna create this thread too? Did he beat you to the punch?

sbh15
10-30-2011, 08:03 PM
So what was the cure for his migrane problems, because it was said it had been a long ongoing problem for him.

i believe he had sleep apnea (sp) or something like that. he worked with doctors all summer to fix whatever was going on, as they haven't been an issue.

or maybe he's just smoking weed again. migraines were never a problem at uf, where the tolerance for players smoking is well known

here's a quote from an article about it

"I met a couple of doctors," he said. "There were a couple of things they found in my neck that I won't get into - some things they found and fixed, along with diet and the rest of the things that can cause them.

"It's been great, and knock on wood, it'll continue."
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/06/percy-harvin-chesapeake-migraines-may-be-history

neck issues sound a little sketchy, but nothing has come up as far as that goes, so i'm guessing they were very minor.

Breed
10-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Why the response? Were you gonna create this thread too? Did he beat you to the punch?

TJ is a douche, it is well know by now...

eltwentyone
10-30-2011, 08:07 PM
wh hes been dinged up cuz of his running style, no serious injuries though, we can say the same for Hakeem nicks, hes essentialy has the same type of injuries being dinged up, the only difference is that Harvin hasnt produced to the same level. Once we get a Sidney rice type of wr, percy gonna flourish

SenorGato
10-30-2011, 08:19 PM
He'll be alright. Sort of the J-Abe of offensive players...Both are just nasty at what they do.

wogitalia
10-30-2011, 10:47 PM
I think a big part of it is that he is a bit soft when it comes to his pain threshold. He hasn't missed many games with real injuries, he misses games and time with things that others play through.

Not questioning his toughness once he gets on the field but he really seems to have a low pain threshold for determining when he will play.

Mr. Goosemahn
10-30-2011, 11:46 PM
He hasn't missed many games with real injuries, he misses games and time with things that others play through.

This is the main issue for me. He's never really injured, he's just dinged up all the time. Then again, a lot of guys in the NFL are, so I don't think it's that big a deal.

It's not as if he's tearing his ACL every season, or getting concussions every 6 games like DeSean Jackson and Austin Collie, or just messing something different up all the time, like Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich.

Until he suffers a legitimate serious injury and started to show signs of not matching his previous level of play, it's good. Right now, I expect him to have a pretty normal career.

Sore ribs are probably much more common than we think.

sbh15
10-31-2011, 02:59 PM
I think a big part of it is that he is a bit soft when it comes to his pain threshold. He hasn't missed many games with real injuries, he misses games and time with things that others play through.

Not questioning his toughness once he gets on the field but he really seems to have a low pain threshold for determining when he will play.

i know i have a massive mancrush on percy, but to say he has a low pain threshold is foolish

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/sports/epaper/2009/01/08/0108harvin.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

Harvin ran for 122 yards - the third-best rushing performance in BCS Championship Game history - added 49 receiving yards and scored on a 2-yard run in what Florida coach Urban Meyer called "one of the guttiest performances I've ever been around."

It would have been all that had Harvin merely been playing on a sprained ankle, as advertised.

"A lot of people thought it was a high ankle sprain, but I had a hairline fracture," Harvin said. "Any time I got tackled, it would hurt the bone, but we had six weeks, so I knew I would give it a go."

tjsunstein
10-31-2011, 04:00 PM
TJ is a douche, it is well know by now...
http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/bloguploads/haters-kid-cudi.gif

J-Mike88
10-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Percy is a great football player, agreed.
He takes a pounding. I don't think his shelf life will be too long. But I thought that about Adrian Peterson too.
He got nicked up all the time in college, figured he wouldn't last in the NFL.

Perhaps Percy would be playing more if their games meant something?
Why rush back for a 1-5 team?

wogitalia
11-01-2011, 12:29 AM
i know i have a massive mancrush on percy, but to say he has a low pain threshold is foolish

Maybe he just lies about his injuries all the time then, but in the NFL he has been "compromised" by injuries like migraines and bruised ribs. The kind that are pain threshold types not the kind that don't allow you to do things.

I love watching him play, he is a great player but his injury list in the NFL just screams low pain threshold, whether he is lying about his injuries or not it's still on him.

yo123
11-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Maybe he just lies about his injuries all the time then, but in the NFL he has been "compromised" by injuries like migraines and bruised ribs. The kind that are pain threshold types not the kind that don't allow you to do things.

Migraines can definitely not allow you to do things.

tjsunstein
11-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Migraines are awful. Been getting them for 13 years now. They will quickly ruin your day.

wogitalia
11-01-2011, 07:28 PM
If you are a professional athlete being paid to play football a migraine should not keep you out, that would be like not training because you are hungover or have a badly jarred finger, just not an acceptable excuse, imo.

yo123
11-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Somebody has never had a migraine.

tjsunstein
11-01-2011, 07:37 PM
If you are a professional athlete being paid to play football a migraine should not keep you out, that would be like not training because you are hungover or have a badly jarred finger, just not an acceptable excuse, imo.
Wait, are you kidding? Have you ever had a migraine?

You compared a migraine to two completely avoidable scenarios. You can't control migraines, you can only try to temper them.

K Train
11-01-2011, 07:38 PM
yeah i guess when any noise or even silence and any bit of sunlight can make you want to die, being in an arena full of cheering fans, looking up to catch a kickoff into the lights and being knocked around by gigantic athletes is DEFINITELY your best bet

dont be ********, migraines are excruciatingly painful.

that being said, anyone else notice how huge percy has gotten since florida, the dude has the upper body of a mini linebacker

wogitalia
11-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Wait, are you kidding? Have you ever had a migraine?

No but the absolute worst hangovers/headaches I've ever had couldn't stop me playing if I wanted to, I can't see how a migraine could be so exponentially worse than that, and I play for fun not because it is my job. I've never had one but I can't see any way that it could be that bad that you couldn't play if you wanted, it's not debilitating, it doesn't stop body parts working, it might limit you but it shouldn't stop a professional athlete.

Malaka
11-01-2011, 09:42 PM
No but the absolute worst hangovers/headaches I've ever had couldn't stop me playing if I wanted to, I can't see how a migraine could be so exponentially worse than that, and I play for fun not because it is my job. I've never had one but I can't see any way that it could be that bad that you couldn't play if you wanted, it's not debilitating, it doesn't stop body parts working, it might limit you but it shouldn't stop a professional athlete.

Your an idiot.

I am thankful that I do not have migraines, but my grandmother and a friend of mine who also plays football do.

They have to lock themselves in a pitch black room and try to be in utter silence all day just alleviate the awful pain. I've seen the grimaces on their faces. Playing with migraines is ******* impossible and if Harvin has ever done it before than god damn give that guy a medal or something because that takes some balls, especially when your job is to get hit by a guy twice your size going across the middle.

yo123
11-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Dude, you can't call someone out for not playing because of an injury you've never had. How does that make sense?

ATLDirtyBirds
11-01-2011, 10:47 PM
I've played with some pretty bad neck sprains in my time. I don't see how people with broken necks can't play. I mean, it is their job.

RCAChainGang
11-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I never understood what made a migraine more than a headache, but I recognize that you wouldn't be able to strap on a helmet and play when you have a headache on steroids.

DoughBoy
11-01-2011, 11:59 PM

You have got to be ******* kidding me.

7-11
11-02-2011, 12:30 AM
You have got to be ******* kidding me.

To be fair, i've never had a migraine or seen anybody suffering from the effects of one, and i didn't really realise it was as debilitating as some of you have said.

DoughBoy
11-02-2011, 12:53 AM
People act like its a pain tolerance issue that NFL players should be able to overcome. I can understand playing on a broken leg, but playing with a full blown migraine is impossible. Not being able to make out objects 5 feet infront of you is a real *****.

niel89
11-02-2011, 01:26 AM
I've had 2 migraines and both resulted in me sitting in a dark room for hours and puking. Migraines aren't just something that you can just man up and play through. They just straight up disable you.

mqtirishfan
11-02-2011, 01:33 AM

People often go to the ER because of migraines, genius. It's not just a minor inconvenience.

vikes_28
11-02-2011, 03:24 AM
I too suffer from migraines. I am on medication for them, thankfully. It's exactly what everyone has said. You have to lock yourself in a dark room, and the slightest noise absolutely kills your head. It's not just a headache or a hangover. This is much, much worse. Getting a headache from a hangover is cakewalk compared to a migraine...before I was medicated I would go 6 days without going to work or school because of them. They suck.

shylo3716
11-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I still would like to know what was Percy's cure since this was a life long problem.

MetSox17
11-02-2011, 05:29 PM
I too suffer from migraines. I am on medication for them, thankfully. It's exactly what everyone has said. You have to lock yourself in a dark room, and the slightest noise absolutely kills your head. It's not just a headache or a hangover. This is much, much worse. Getting a headache from a hangover is cakewalk compared to a migraine...before I was medicated I would go 6 days without going to work or school because of them. They suck.

*****tenchar

mqtirishfan
11-02-2011, 05:32 PM
I still would like to know what was Percy's cure since this was a life long problem.

He had obstructive sleep apnea, and got that taken care of.

the new jesus
11-02-2011, 05:35 PM

I know this point has been made about 100 times in this thread but I'm going to make it again...you are an idiot.

PackerLegend
11-02-2011, 05:37 PM
What a ****ing puss he is. Why doesn't he just wear a pitch black visor (which are badass) and like some earplugs. Man the **** up... :D

shylo3716
11-02-2011, 05:40 PM
He had obstructive sleep apnea, and got that taken care of.

Not trying to make this a joking matter, I do not have migranes but suffer from insomnia & I self medicate from time to time with Nyquil.

mqtirishfan
11-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Not trying to make this a joking matter, I do not have migranes but suffer from insomnia & I self medicate from time to time with Nyquil.

I don't think you know what sleep apnea is.

shylo3716
11-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I don't think you know what sleep apnea is.

I must dont...... But hell it works for me after being up 2-3 days straight with no sleep.

mqtirishfan
11-02-2011, 05:58 PM
I must dont...... But hell it works for me after being up 2-3 days straight with no sleep.

That wouldn't help with sleep apnea, considering it is a condition that affects the person while they are sleeping.

sbh15
11-02-2011, 05:58 PM

it has nothing to do with falling asleep. it causes period of abnormal heart rate/breathing during sleep (at least that is what i've gathered)

shylo3716
11-02-2011, 06:00 PM
That wouldn't help with sleep apnea, considering it is a condition that affects the person while they are sleeping.

it has nothing to do with falling asleep. it causes period of abnormal heart rate/breathing during sleep (at least that is what i've gathered)

Thank you for broadening me on the condition.

RCAChainGang
11-03-2011, 12:21 AM
The migraine thread.

Science of sleep apnea.

PoopSandwich
01-27-2012, 12:43 AM

Migraines are about 10x worse than hangovers, most of the time people can't even go into the light. You should probably do some research about it before you say it shouldn't stop a professional athlete.

The pain of migraine is invariably accompanied by other features. Nausea occurs in almost 90 percent of patients, and vomiting occurs in about one third of patients[citation needed]. Many patients experience sensory hyperexcitability manifested by photophobia, phonophobia, and osmophobia and seek a dark and quiet room. Blurred vision, delirium, nasal stuffiness, diarrhea, tinnitus, polyuria, pallor, or sweating may be noted during the headache phase. There may be localized edema of the scalp or face, scalp tenderness, prominence of a vein or artery in the temple, or stiffness and tenderness of the neck. Impairment of concentration and mood are common. The extremities tend to feel cold and moist[citation needed]. Vertigo may be experienced; a variation of the typical migraine, called vestibular migraine, has also been described. Lightheadedness, rather than true vertigo,[citation needed] and a feeling of faintness may occur.

niel89
01-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Even though a spammer bumped this up I thought this was semi relevant. Hopefully they just keep Harvins workload a little lighter with less RB carries.

Coach Leslie Frazier indicated that RB Toby Gerhart earned a bigger role going forward with his success as a ball-carrier late in the 2011 season.

"He really did a great job for us and showed us that he is worthy of more carries," said Frazier. "We want to be able to get him more involved in our offense going forward." He could even enter the season as the starter with Adrian Peterson battling back from major reconstructive knee surgery. Gerhart will have to be drafted in all fantasy leagues. Jan 25 - 11:30 AM

http://hotgiyp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/fap.gif

SafePhbiz
01-27-2012, 09:57 AM
http://meds-forum.com/pharmacy/en/1.gif

http://meds-forum.com/pharmacy/en/wsp.gif (http://buycialistips.com)

http://meds-forum.com/pharmacy/en/fdp.gif (http://buycialistips.com)

****** online pharmacy - buy ****** online in usa drugs
buy tadalafil ****** online
Yeast Infection is an infection caused by a tiny fungus known as "Candida albicans" or yeast. Most women have candida in their vagina, and most people have it in their mouths and the lower intestinal tract. It is only when the yeast outnumbers the healthy bacteria in the vagina that an infection happens. For treating yeast infections, usually medicines are used which are inserted in your vagina. These medicines are normally creams applied to the vaginal areas with the help of applicators, or they may be suppositories that can be left in the vagina to dissolve on their own canadian pharmacy online ******
cheapest generic ****** online
Accutane (isotretinoin) use by pregnant women is so likely to cause serious complications and birth defects that a special program was created to prevent pregnant women from using the drug and women who were using it from becoming pregnant. The program is called iPLEDGE. Accutane is no longer on the market, but isotretinoin is still available in generic form. buy ****** online in usa
substitute for ****** online pharmacy
http://buyativancheap.com/ ativan online non prescription ativan (http://buyativancheap.com/) ativan online without prescription
http://xanaxcheapph.com/ list of generic ***** ********** (http://xanaxcheapph.com/) generic ***** identification

buy discount ****** online
•Phase Three-1000-3000 patients, process takes about three years brand name ****** online

djp
01-27-2012, 01:20 PM
damn, talk about a lucky find. Been looking for qualitative tablets for some time now for my yeast infections

FlyingElvis
01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Good lawdy peeps . . . you're sitting at a computer . . . google a ******* condition before you start talking out of your ass about it.

I don't expect Percy's career will be any shorter than the average, awesome WR/RB/KR triple threat. So, as soon as we have enough of them to compare, we can determine Percy's "NFL life exepectancy" relative to said average.

DraftSavant
01-27-2012, 02:01 PM

bigbluedefense
01-27-2012, 02:24 PM

I never had cancer, but it's probably just a lump. Pop that **** like a pimple and move on.

tjsunstein
01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Should have stopped thinking that it was a good idea to continue typing when you put down you've never had one. One of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen and it saddens me that you're so passionate on such an insensible stance.

DeepThreat
01-27-2012, 02:48 PM
As someone who has had a migraine just about every day for the past 15 months (until last week), I can say that was a really stupid post.

SafePhbiz
01-28-2012, 10:51 PM
http://meds-forum.com/pharmacy/en/1.gif

http://meds-forum.com/pharmacy/en/wsp.gif (http://buycialistips.com)

http://meds-forum.com/pharmacy/en/fdp.gif (http://buycialistips.com)

Buy ****** Tadalafil - generic ****** capsules
****** ****** generic ajanta pharma
Indications for Cipro are: generic ****** reviews
generic ****** does it work
Birth control is an important method to be followed by every one in a country otherwise they will have to face the problems of increasing population. Food crisis, unemployment, and poverty are the major issues that are caused by increasing population. Therefore everyone needs to think about practicing sexual activity by following birth control methods to avoid the problems caused by unwanted child birth. Birth control can be achieved by following methods of controlling child birth. These methods involve, barrier methods, natural methods, hormonal methods and other medication methods. But you should remember that these methods will not act as a barrier between you and sexually transmitted diseases. ****** pills pictures ****** generic
cheap generic ******
http://azithromycinz.com/ purchase online azithromycin 500mg buy zithromax online (http://azithromycinz.com/) taking azithromycin generic
****** generic best price
after my birth to a child from Otc diet pills to fat, and spent a lot of ways to lose weight, are no results, even thought to go, liposuction, and later saw accidentally wandering Taobao green fruits and vegetables, carefully It gave examples of principles and a lot of people, decided to try. I did not expect a week of 4 cm on small waist, let me once confident. generic ****** buy