PDA

View Full Version : Will the Cards Take a QB in the First Round?

georgiafan
10-31-2011, 10:08 AM
If Kolb keeps on playing at this level and the Cardnals are drafting in the top 10. Do you think they would draft a QB or stick with Kolb? Just throwing this out bc I've not heard anyone really talk about this.

SolidGold
10-31-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't think so. I think they take a tackle. They have a terrible o-line. Their starting tackles have to be among the worst in the league.

bucfan12
10-31-2011, 12:50 PM
I think they give Kolb a shot for atleast 3 years (this year included). They'll try and build an offense around him and see how it goes.

They gave up there 2008 top 12 CB selection and a 2nd this year, plus what is it, 25-30 million guranteed in this guy.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-31-2011, 01:00 PM
I would, but like most here, I think Kolb is terrible. I'm also a fan of RGIII/Barkley/Tannehill. I'd imagine priority one is replacing Levi Brown though.

Scott Wright
10-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Absolutely not, they have hitched their wagon to Kolb.

I actually watched the Cardinals quite a bit yesterday and was shocked at how poor their offensive line is. Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees would struggle behind that sorry excuse for protection. Levi Brown at left tackle is nothing short of a travesty. Arizona also desperately needs another cornerback to team with Patrick Peterson. Now I'm not saying Kolb is going to be a stud, but at this point he is the least of their problems.

JBCX
10-31-2011, 01:45 PM
They need to draft Matt Kalil or Jonathan Martin with their 1st round pick and another OT/OG with their 3rd round pick (they lost their 2nd rounder in the Kolb trade).

Simple as that, really. Any QB would be murdered behind that poor offensive line.

nepg
10-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Agreeing with Scott, with one disclaimer: the Cardinals are terrible at the draft. So I won't underestimate their stupidity as they pass on a LT for BPA. They've been horribly stubborn about fixing that OL for years and years now...

Babylon
10-31-2011, 01:54 PM
They need to draft Matt Kalil or Jonathan Martin with their 1st round pick and another OT/OG with their 3rd round pick (they lost their 2nd rounder in the Kolb trade).

Simple as that, really. Any QB would be murdered behind that poor offensive line.

I think a QB that could move better laterally would have a better chance at success with that O-line. It's pretty much a rule of thumb when you have a weak front you get a QB that can move.

georgiafan
10-31-2011, 01:54 PM
For the people that are saying no how if they change coaches? I'm sure they are gonna win a few more games and prob be picking to low for and elite OL but could still get one of the other QB's.

RaiderNation
10-31-2011, 01:56 PM
I highly doubt it, they did just spend a lot on Kolb and can't afford to give up on him after 1 season. The Cardinals need to add some more talent at a lot of key areas, and adding a LT like Kalil or Martin with their top 10 pick would be the smartest thing to do.

DraftSavant
10-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson - because they had just signed Edgerrin James. What a terrible ******* pick.

Kolb's not the answer, though, so they should look into drafting a quarterback at some point in this draft.

Jensen
10-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Kolb's not the answer, though, so they should look into drafting a quarterback at some point in this draft.

No, they shouldn't. Kalil or Martin should be the pick with their 1st rounder. Then another OL with their 3rd round pick. Then CB and WR are the next biggest needs. Unfortunately Arizona has invested in Kolb, and they are not going to bolt on him after one year. Drafting a QB in the later rounds would not be the best option for a team like Arizona that has plenty of holes and Skelton around as a backup.

JBCX
10-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson - because they had just signed Edgerrin James. What a terrible ******* pick.

Wow. If those 2008-2009 Cardinals teams had had Adrian Peterson in the backfield with Kurt Warner, imagine how good they would have been.

Grizzlegom
10-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Absolutely not, they have hitched their wagon to Kolb.

I actually watched the Cardinals quite a bit yesterday and was shocked at how poor their offensive line is. Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees would struggle behind that sorry excuse for protection. Levi Brown at left tackle is nothing short of a travesty. Arizona also desperately needs another cornerback to team with Patrick Peterson. Now I'm not saying Kolb is going to be a stud, but at this point he is the least of their problems.

This. Levi Brown was a respectable RT, he's been downright awful at LT. I wouldn't call a single starter on their offensive line even league average. CB is weak too but PP should progress and they will get Toler back next year and he played ok last year. Don't remember the last time I watched a Cardinals game and came away thinking that any of their offensive linemen played ok.

TheMorningZoo
10-31-2011, 04:33 PM
I am not on the Kolb bandwagon, but I think he can be a serviceable starter. As mentioned (and really beaten to a dead horse) he NEEDS an Offensive Line. Keith and Brown suck (Brown could maybe flourish if bumped inside), so the obvious is taking a top flight Tackle such as Kalil, Martin, or Reiff. Maybe even snag a Guard/ RT with someone like Matt Reynolds or Osemele (I think will rise to 1st/2nd) in the 3rd if available. They need to start in the trenches, it is really that simple.

fenikz
10-31-2011, 04:51 PM
only Luck I would think but with 5 division games remaining doubt we finish with just 1 win

if we can get a LT in the 1st and a RT in FA we can shift Brown to RG where he might actually be good

Kalil/Martin
Colledge
Sendlein
Brown
Free Agent

and as for a time table on Kolb he signed basically a 2 year contract, Cardinals can save about 40 mil if they cut him following that year. Which might happen if Whis doesn't turn the team around and gets fired

BigBanger
10-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Kolb is doing what he did in Philly ... leaving plays on the field, not hitting wide open receivers, checking it down before the play even develops. His accuracy is bad and you wouldn't know it, but he's playing with one of the three best WRs in the game. He's not a good starting NFL QB. If a QB is there and if they think that rookie QB has field vision, then they should take a QB because Kolb can't see the field. You are not winning in this league without a QB. He has terrible poise in the pocket -- bad offensive line or not. He's bailing out and failing to keep his eyes down field even when he does have time to throw.

There are good to great QBs in the NFL with bad offensives lines and no running game, and in some cases, terrible offensive lines, and they are doing just fine and winning football games. Kolb is simply not the answer. He was an unknown commodity and the reality is that he's an expensive stop gap between now and until they find their long term / franchise QB.

Kolb is not completely the issue (Arizona is a bad team), but he bears a lot of the blame as well. He's a bad QB. Simply put. If Arizona passes on a QB because of Kolb, that being the lone reason, then it's going to be a mistake. If they pass on a QB because they don't think that QB is going to be good, then thats fine. But if the opportunity presents itself and they like the QB, then they should take the QB. You never pass on a potential franchise QB. It's a cardinal rule. Just because you paid the guy a lot of money does not mean you have to compound that mistake by passing on guys that are actually good with the real potential to be a very good QB for your team. It wouldn't make any sense.

EDIT Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson - because they had just signed Edgerrin James. What a terrible ******* pick.

This. Levi was a terrible pick for many reasons. One reason being they passed on elite talent in favor of need. A bad team passing on an elite player just because of need. You don't do that.

And their explanation of the pick was just as big of a joke. They wanted to draft a RT to protect the blind side of their left handed bust at QB, Matt Leinart. Like I mentioned before ... compounding mistakes. It. Doesn't. Make. Any. Sense. It's why Arizona is Arizona.

holt_bruce81
10-31-2011, 08:00 PM
I hope not, I look forward to watching Kolb suck donkey dick and lead them to a 6-10 record for the next 10 years.

DraftSavant
10-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Kolb is doing what he did in Philly ... leaving plays on the field, not hitting wide open receivers, checking it down before the play even develops. His accuracy is bad and you wouldn't know it, but he's playing with one of the three best WRs in the game. He's not a good starting NFL QB. If a QB is there and if they think that rookie QB has field vision, then they should take a QB because Kolb can't see the field. You are not winning in this league without a QB. He has terrible poise in the pocket -- bad offensive line or not. He's bailing out and failing to keep his eyes down field even when he does have time to throw.

There are good to great QBs in the NFL with bad offensives lines and no running game, and in some cases, terrible offensive lines, and they are doing just fine and winning football games. Kolb is simply not the answer. He was an unknown commodity and the reality is that he's an expensive stop gap between now and until they find their long term / franchise QB.

Kolb is not completely the issue (Arizona is a bad team), but he bears a lot of the blame as well. He's a bad QB. Simply put. If Arizona passes on a QB because of Kolb, that being the lone reason, then it's going to be a mistake. If they pass on a QB because they don't think that QB is going to be good, then thats fine. But if the opportunity presents itself and they like the QB, then they should take the QB. You never pass on a potential franchise QB. It's a cardinal rule. Just because you paid the guy a lot of money does not mean you have to compound that mistake by passing on guys that are actually good with the real potential to be a very good QB for your team. It wouldn't make any sense.

EDIT
This. Levi was a terrible pick for many reasons. One reason being they passed on elite talent in favor of need. A bad team passing on an elite player just because of need. You don't do that.

And their explanation of the pick was just as big of a joke. They wanted to draft a RT to protect the blind side of their left handed bust at QB, Matt Leinart. Like I mentioned before ... compounding mistakes. It. Doesn't. Make. Any. Sense. It's why Arizona is Arizona.

Sunk Costs (http://moneyterms.co.uk/sunk-costs/)

And teams do it over, and over, and over.

fenikz
10-31-2011, 09:20 PM
this bot is smarter than most of you

Halsey
11-01-2011, 09:33 AM
They should, but they won't. I don't care how much Kolb makes. If you don't have a franchise QB, you don't win Super Bowls in today's NFL. They can select the PATRICK PETERSONZZ of every Draft and they won't win squat until they find a guy at QB. Until Kolb proves otherwise, he's not that guy. The Cardinals should give Kolb one more chance next year and still draft a premium talent at QB. Teams can never be too aggressive with the QB position.

DraftSavant
11-01-2011, 11:50 AM
They should, but they won't. I don't care how much Kolb makes. If you don't have a franchise QB, you don't win Super Bowls in today's NFL. They can select the PATRICK PETERSONZZ of every Draft and they won't win squat until they find a guy at QB. Until Kolb proves otherwise, he's not that guy. The Cardinals should give Kolb one more chance next year and still draft a premium talent at QB. Teams can never be too aggressive with the QB position.

Even if you DO have the guy, it's never a bad idea to take a QB every other year or so and develop them.

Most QBs aren't iron men. They'll miss a game or two here and there. If you have a competent developmental backup, you can still win those games AND showcase him to other teams.

NE has done this, Philly has done this, and now Green Bay is doing it. The caveat, though, is having someone with the ability to develop young QBs.

WCH
11-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Even if you DO have the guy, it's never a bad idea to take a QB every other year or so and develop them.

Most QBs aren't iron men. They'll miss a game or two here and there. If you have a competent developmental backup, you can still win those games AND showcase him to other teams.

NE has done this, Philly has done this, and now Green Bay is doing it. The caveat, though, is having someone with the ability to develop young QBs.

Hell, Green Bay perfected this strategy in the 90s.

Also, I've always argued that most "franchise" QBs fizzle out after a few years. They get injured, or they lose interest after their big payday, or something. Take a list of the top-10 Quarterbacks under 27 today. All of those teams, and their fans, think they have their franchise Quarterback. At least 7 of them will settle into mediocrity by 30.

Daunte Culpepper might be the best example of this. People forget that at his absolute peak he was playing almost as well as Peyton Manning. In 2004, he put together one of the best QB seasons in NFL history. Then he was injured and he sucked for the rest of his career.

georgiafan
11-07-2011, 11:54 AM
What was the reason Kolb didnt play yesterday?

ryno626
11-07-2011, 01:16 PM
What was the reason Kolb didnt play yesterday?

foot sprain or something of that nature, he was in a walking boot all last week

bucfan12
11-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Arizona really screwed up on this one.

nyqua
11-07-2011, 05:49 PM
No chance. They have a future HOFer in John Skelton already on their roster. Dumb move to trade for Kolb just to have him be an expensive backup.