PDA

View Full Version : Most surprising record in the NFL: Week 8

49ersfan_87
11-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Its a poll

I'm going with the Bengals. I thought they were legit contenders for the #1 pick this year and instead they're in the AFC playoff race. I don't think they will actually make the playoffs but i didn't expect a Marvin Lewis coached team with a rookie QB to be 5-2 at this point, no matter who was on their schedule. The Bills would be #2 on my list, who would have thought at this point of the season they would be leading the AFC East.

Raiderz4Life
11-01-2011, 01:10 PM
The Bengals get my vote. Dalton and Bruce were the top 2 QBs for them with Dalton winning the job. AJ Green is a rookie WR. I know for sure I'm surprised but happy for em.

vidae
11-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I love what the Bengals have done on offense, but that defense is downright scary too.

I did vote for the 49ers though. I can't imagine ANYONE had them at 6-1 going into week 8.

RaiderNation
11-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Has to be the 49ers or Bengals. I had both these teams ending up with a top 5 pick, now they are playoff contenders. 49ers are getting close to locking up the division, and I think the Bengals will end up around 8-8

Punisher
11-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Everyone thought the Bengals would be in the Luck/Barkley race during the preseason so I would have to go with Cincinnati here.

BloodBrother
11-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Yep, going with Cincy. Niners have talent but them going 6-1 at this point is a bit surprising, but I don't know how you don't go with Cincy. Rookie QB with shortened offseason. Their D had talent but I honestly didn't think they'd win more than 4-5 games this year coming in

killxswitch
11-01-2011, 01:21 PM
It was a hard decision between the 49ers, Bengals, and Rams.

I thought the 49ers would improve and compete for the top spot in the NFCW. I didn't expect them to run away with it and have one of the best records in the NFL by midseason.

The Rams are the team I thought would ultimately win the West. I thought Bradford would excel throwing to Mike Sims-Walker and Donnie Avery, and that it would be a good story watching those two play well. I thought SJax would return to mid-00's form. I thought the OL would be very good with Saffold and Smith at OT. I thought Robert Quinn and Chris Long would be the new and exciting pass rushing 4-3 DE tandem. I thought Spagnuolo's defense would take a huge step forward. How wrong I was.

But ultimately I had to vote Bengals. With Palmer retiring, a rookie starting at QB, the worst owner in football, and a bunch of average role-players, and Marvin Lewis as a HC, I thought they'd be a bottom 5 team. Instead Dalton might be rookie of the year, AJ Green could be worth that same consideration, the Bengals defense looks on-par with the STeelers and Ravens, and they're just flat out winning. Even against bad teams, they're winning. They could win the division, which is just ridiculous. I don't think they will, but at this point they are the biggest surprise to me.

AntoinCD
11-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I went for SF. Sure I think most were expecting them to improve but the only two poor teams they have beaten so far are Cleveland and Seattle.

They're an OT loss at Dallas away from being perfect and have taken out Philly, Detroit, a resurgent Cincinnati and absolutely emabarassed TB.

They have an extremely realistic shot of going at least 12-4 with two games against both Arizona and STL plus one against Seattle and Washington.

The tough part of their schedule is over

abaddon41_80
11-01-2011, 01:38 PM
My top 3,

Bengals
Bills
Rams

I honestly expected the Bengals to be one of the worst teams in the league with the Bills not far behind them. I thought each might have one win at this point. The Rams I expected to be around .500. The 49ers and Lions are slightly ahead of what I had them predicted to be going into the season, both 4-3, and the Colts are about where I expected after I heard Manning was out.

soybean
11-01-2011, 02:09 PM
9ers. It's basically the same team from last year with one exception... harbaugh.

It's amazing what they're doing and the fact that they'll likely finish with 10+ wins.

The only thing keeping me from annointing them elite is their loss to the cowboys because the cowboys aren't very good.

AntoinCD
11-01-2011, 02:34 PM
9ers. It's basically the same team from last year with one exception... harbaugh.

It's amazing what they're doing and the fact that they'll likely finish with 10+ wins.

The only thing keeping me from annointing them elite is their loss to the cowboys because the cowboys aren't very good.

IMO they are an elite team this year.

By your logic the only elite team then is Green Bay.

Pittsburgh got annihilated by Baltimore and beaten by Houston. They also barely beat the Colts.

Baltimore got beaten by the Jags and the Titans-neither very good

The Patriots got beaten by the Bills and Steelers in horrendous outings.

The Saints got beaten by the winless Rams.

The Lions got beaten by the 49ers who apparently aren't elite.

The Bengals got beaten by the 49ers who apparenlty aren't elite.

The 49ers lost in OT to Dallas in Dallas. Im still calling them elite for this year.

tjsunstein
11-01-2011, 02:59 PM
In the bold prediction thread before the season, I had Dalton down for a winning record this year. Never thought they would be 5-2 though.

bucfan12
11-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Not surprised by the COlts record. I've said all along you take Manning away from that team, they're nothing.

That is why he's the best QB and Player in the NFL.

bucfan12
11-01-2011, 04:40 PM
It's still too early. The PAckers are an elite team, but honestly, I knew that this season could be wide open. There really isn't many bad teams except for the Rams, Dolphins, and Colts (minus Peyton Manning).

I think the lockout had an effect on several teams.

The Niners always had a talented defensive front. There finally putting it together and well coached defensively. Offensively, I'm still not a believer that Alex Smith has turned the Corner after his 6th year when he's been bad his entire career. He might be average QB at best, but he still never had elite tools in this league when he was drafted.

keylime_5
11-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Bengals schedule has been a piece of cake. Not that surprised that they are at this point, at least not compared to San Francisco. One loss and they've played some good teams. Would be undefeated if they didn't lose an OT game against Dallas. I don't see how it can't be the Niners.

nepg
11-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I went with the Bengals. I expected them to be a lot better than people were giving them credit for, but 5-2 is pretty outstanding for them. I was thinking 3-4 or 4-3 at this point (I know that's only a one game difference, but it looks huge).

Splat
11-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I picked the Bills. I was pretty down on them in the off season.

Ness
11-01-2011, 04:59 PM
The Niners always had a talented defensive front. There finally putting it together and well coached defensively. Offensively, I'm still not a believer that Alex Smith has turned the Corner after his 6th year when he's been bad his entire career. He might be average QB at best, but he still never had elite tools in this league when he was drafted.

You talk like it was all on him. Let's not forget his terrible coaches and rosters he had to deal with. He is an example of one of the worst ways to groom a quarterback coming out of college. If it was handled more the right way I think he would have looked a lot better. Maybe not elite, but a lot better.

Beano
11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm not surprised at the Rams current record, I am surprised how bad we were for the majority of the first 7 weeks of the year though. When the schedules were released I thought 1-6 after the Saints game was where the smart money would be.

For me it's the 9ers. I knew Singletary had issues at the 9ers, but I genuinely didn't believe they had a turnaround like that in them. Their defense was always good and I didn't think they could absorb the loss of Spikes and Franklin, if anything though, they've got better.

T-RICH49
11-01-2011, 05:59 PM
I picked the Bills. I was pretty down on them in the off season.

what he said

wogitalia
11-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Bengals for mine. Mainly because they play in the AFC North and I had them no where near the top of that division.

49ers are in such a weak conference that they always had a chance of doing this, they also have an awful lot of talent on their team.

I've never rated Bradford, I was actually surprised how well the Rams did last year with him, so the fact they haven't done well this year isn't a shock, especially given how tough that schedule was.

VernonLawson89
11-01-2011, 08:08 PM
I hate when people say the 49ers are in a weak division (which is true) like those 3 teams are the only teams we have a chance against, but they fail to realize that we've only played 1 team in our division so far this year...

abaddon41_80
11-01-2011, 08:15 PM
You talk like it was all on him. Let's not forget his terrible coaches and rosters he had to deal with. He is an example of one of the worst ways to groom a quarterback coming out of college. If it was handled more the right way I think he would have looked a lot better. Maybe not elite, but a lot better.

Ness, is that you?

Rosebud
11-01-2011, 08:43 PM
It was tough to pick between the 9ers and Rams, ended up voting 9ers because I didn't think they'd make it this long with only one loss at all.

Bengals and Bills are a game off of what I would have guessed their record to be at this point. Damnit now that I've thought about it I want to change my vote to the Rams, with injuries and tough early schedule I figured they'd struggle, but I couldn't imagine them going 6 weeks without a win.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
11-01-2011, 08:56 PM
49ers- They have beaten some really good teams. Bengals while shocking they have a really good defense and a solid run game and Dalton i'm not surprised is an upgrade over Palmer.

Ness
11-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Ness, is that you?

Yes. Alex is still not a megastar, let's not get it twisted.

abaddon41_80
11-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Hey, I will take you saying anything positive about him.

bucfan12
11-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Yes. Alex is still not a megastar, let's not get it twisted.

All I'm saying was he was never the QB worthy of a number 1 pick. Those guys in that selection should be a top QB in this league.

But anyways, I'd go with Cincinatti. Sure they played an easier schedule so far, but I thought they'd be far worse than the teams they played. I had them pegged in the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes before the season.

Pat Sims 90
11-02-2011, 03:39 PM
All I'm saying was he was never the QB worthy of a number 1 pick. Those guys in that selection should be a top QB in this league.

But anyways, I'd go with Cincinatti. Sure they played an easier schedule so far, but I thought they'd be far worse than the teams they played. I had them pegged in the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes before the season.

You had them pegged as a 0-16 team not just in the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes.

49erNation85
11-02-2011, 03:57 PM
49ers>Bengals and has already been proven .

Ness
11-02-2011, 04:01 PM
By the way the most surprising team at this point in terms of their record is the Bills. They've already gone head to head with New England and of course they still have the Jets to play, but the resolve they've shown thus far has been incredible. That offense has really stepped it up and been competitive in the one of the hardest divisions in the NFL.

abaddon41_80
11-02-2011, 04:58 PM
49ers>Bengals and has already been proven .

Yes but the 49ers are more talented than the Bengals from top to bottom, imo, but they only have one more win and they had to comeback in the 4th quarter to beat the Bengals and get it. Not to mention that I think most people thought the 49ers would be better than the Bengals this year, anyway.