PDA

View Full Version : OT-OG Conversions

JohnCandy
11-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Who are the leading candidates this year to be moved from college OT to OG?

These are often difficult evaluations as their game tape, playing out of position, often does not match their talent level.

1. Cordy Glenn [Georgia]

He has struggled at LT at times, but his 2010 highlights at OG are far more impressive.

2. Kelechi Osemele [Iowa St]

Suprising movement skills, but I expected him to be more dominant in the run game then I saw.

keylime_5
11-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Those two are probably the two biggest names obviously. Glenn can be another Jahri Evans. I think Nate Potter moves to guard at the next level ala Daryn Colledge as well.

D-Unit
11-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Brandon Washington has played both OG and OT in his career at Miami. This year at RT and LT. He'll be a Guard in the NFL.

Dro
11-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Potter would probably be the one i would think to automatically switch from OT to OG.. i hope he slips to around the 3rd round and my skins take him.. instant upgrade @ G and he can play T...where do you guys see Potter going round wise.

DraftSavant
11-02-2011, 01:17 PM
I think Jonathan Martin is a possible candidate.

He's got good strength at the POA in the run game, and shows good feet when they pull him (Stanford has a Power O wrinkle where they'll pull the backside tackle instead of the guard occasionally). He's also good at hitting moving targets in the screen game.

As good as his feet are on the move and in space, they're equally slow in pass protection. Very heavy feet, gets his shoulders turned easily and tries to recover by lunging. Could be a possible coaching/technique issue, but I don't know for sure. From what he's shown so far, he's not good enough to be trusted on the edge against NFL pass rushers.

Cal's LT Mitchell Schwartz is another possible candidate for ZBS teams.

D-Unit
11-02-2011, 01:25 PM

He's got good strength at the POA in the run game, and shows good feet when they pull him (Stanford has a Power O wrinkle where they'll pull the backside tackle instead of the guard occasionally). He's also good at hitting moving targets in the screen game.

As good as his feet are on the move and in space, they're equally slow in pass protection. Very heavy feet, gets his shoulders turned easily and tries to recover by lunging. Could be a possible coaching/technique issue, but I don't know for sure. From what he's shown so far, he's not good enough to be trusted on the edge against NFL pass rushers.

Interesting mention. Maybe so, but not from the start. I think he'll be drafted too high for a team to play him there on Day 1. If it happens it will be because he failed... and the move will come down the line, like Leonard Davis, Robert Gallery and Chris Williams to name a few.

JohnCandy
11-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Brandon Washington has played both OG and OT in his career at Miami. This year at RT and LT. He'll be a Guard in the NFL.

What are peoples opinions of Brandon Washington?

If he declares if he a 2nd-3rd round guy?

I really liked him at OG and at 6'4" 325lbs. he has the look and build of a Davin Joseph type OG.

Then I see they moved him to LT where he has been okay at best and I hear they were going to bench him when Henderson gets back. What is with the U and moving talented OGs to tackle and stunting their development.

keylime_5
11-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Martin is quite athletic and has the feet to play left tackle. I think once he refines his technique he'll be fine. Don't think he'll be a guard unless he busts at tackle and becomes a swingman. Interesting mention though.

DraftSavant
11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Martin is quite athletic and has the feet to play left tackle. I think once he refines his technique he'll be fine. Don't think he'll be a guard unless he busts at tackle and becomes a swingman. Interesting mention though.

Yeah, he's got plenty of athleticism and displays it when pulling and working in space. That's why I wonder if it's a coaching/technique issue. Don't really have the answer.

Duffman57
11-02-2011, 05:33 PM
What are peoples opinions of Brandon Washington?

If he declares if he a 2nd-3rd round guy?
I really liked him at OG and at 6'4" 325lbs. he has the look and build of a Davin Joseph type OG.

Then I see they moved him to LT where he has been okay at best and I hear they were going to bench him when Henderson gets back. What is with the U and moving talented OGs to tackle and stunting their development.

It was more of a last ditch effort type thing. They didn't have anyone else that was even capable of playing LT. When Henderson went out, he was the backup plan. He's actually looked good at OT which boosts his stock for versatility.

But I think he's gonna be a very good mauler at OG personally. And for all those people who talk about the LT so much, the LG is to a run game, what an LT is to the QB. Prime example is when Huchinson left the seahawks, Alexander looked turrible.

JohnCandy
11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Do we think that Washington declares this year?

He looks like a lock as a 2nd round pick if he is a better version of Orlando Franklin.

TACKLE
11-02-2011, 07:14 PM
He's given no indication that he's interested in leaving and seems like a guy who's really embracing a new leadership role and is really buying into Al Golden's program. It would surprise me to see him leave but I wouldn't rule it out. If he declared, I'd peg him in the late 1s-early 2 range. He has some dominant film out that at guard and the ability to quickly transition from guard to RT to LT not only shows his versatility but also his understanding of the game. As a RT/G prospect, I would easily take him over Cordy Glenn. If he stays in school for another year, I think he ends up being a first round pick all the way.

rawdawg
11-02-2011, 08:56 PM
What about Barrett Jones from Alabama? Not sure he comes out early this year or not, but he's playing LT very well this year, but looks like he could be a dominant guard in the NFL.

D-Unit
11-02-2011, 09:03 PM
What about Barrett Jones from Alabama? Not sure he comes out early this year or not, but he's playing LT very well this year, but looks like he could be a dominant guard in the NFL.
LOVE Barrett Jones! ... as a Guard.

Ozzy
11-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Cordy Glenn is a given, no way he plays tackle in the NFL I feel, way more impressive at guard.

I also agree that Brandon Washington could be moved back to guard in the NFL, with experience at tackle this season, but who knows if he goes out.

Terence Brown of BYU is playing center I believe, he could move back to guard I feel in the NFL.

In terms of making the switch from tackle to guard, Rokevious Watkins of South Carolina could be possible prospect for that. Same with Bradley Sowell if Ole Miss or Mike Harris of UCLA, plus who knows maybe even Matt Reynolds.

DraftSavant
11-14-2011, 01:30 PM

I feel more and more strongly about this with each passing week.