PDA

View Full Version : What is College Football's "Game of the (recent)Century"?

Punisher
11-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Inspired by the conversation in the LSU/Alabama thread that's going on this weekend, what do you feel is the college football game that is worthy of being deemed "Game of the (recent) Century"? Recent meaning last 15 years or so.(Any further would make this a deep list!)

1.)USC vs Texas, 2006 BCS Title Game

http://0.tqn.com/d/collegefootball/1/0/X/8/-/-/56534791.jpg

2.)OSU vs. Miami, 2003 BCS Title Game

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__aPXi5mkf0A/TIjTdCY1iEI/AAAAAAAAC9o/TF8bBuIcbU0/s1600/ncf_fiesta2003_576.jpg

3.)USC vs. Notre Dame, 2005 "Bush Push"

http://www.fillio.com/blog/nd/files/bush_push.jpg

4.)Michigan vs. Ohio State, 2006 Big 10 title

http://blog.cleveland.com/lesmerises/2008/12/large_Mich-06.jpg

5.)Oklahoma vs. Boise State, 2007 Fiesta Bowl

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/10/12/sports/ncaafootball/proposal.533.jpg

Any other suggestions would be great as well!

Complex
11-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Michigan vs. Ohio State, 2006 Big 10 title

why is this on the list? overrated Big 10 teams.

LSU vs Bama should be up there.

OSU vs Miami was the game of the century even thought Miami got cheated. There was like 100 NFL pro players in that game. At least 4-6 top 10 picks and a minimum of 15 1st rounders.

jrdrylie
11-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Michigan vs. Ohio State, 2006 Big 10 title

why is this on the list? overrated Big 10 teams.

LSU vs Bama should be up there.

OSU vs Miami was the game of the century even thought Miami got cheated. There was like 100 NFL pro players in that game. At least 4-6 top 10 picks and a minimum of 15 1st rounders.

Miami didn't get cheated. It was pass interference. And if you want to talk about being cheated, the game never should have even been in overtime. If you re-watch the game, the refs missed an obvious face mask that would have given Ohio State a first down and allowed them run out the clock.

LSU vs. Alabama should not be up there because for all we know, the came could suck.

fear the elf
11-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Michigan vs. Ohio State, 2006 Big 10 title...only because I was there, and it was freaking sweet.

soybean
11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Boise St. vs. Oklahoma? please. If the poll was best finish to a game then yeah I agree but BSU was raping Oklahoma the entire game until the fourth quarter. Not to mention Oklahoma was using a converted WR as qb since bohmar decided to sell cars. (or not to sell cars)

EDIT: same goes for Notre Dame USC. Good ending but that's it.

JHL6719
11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
The Texas/USC national title game was the best game I've seen recently, although there's obviously some other good choices up here (Oklahoma/Boise "Statue of Liberty", Ohio St./Miami)

But the Texas/USC game was just a GREAT game between two GREAT teams throwing haymakers on each other. Just a good, clean, football game where the talent on the field was able to shine through for both sides. Not surrounded by controversy like the Ohio St./Miami game.

I think national title games should be thrown out here, and only use regular season games or conference championship games.

In that case, this LSU/Alabama matchup holds as much or more significance than any regular season game since Oklahoma and Nebraska in 1971.

The reason for that is simple... there's not a team in the country that can beat either one of these teams, other than the one they'll be staring at across from them Saturday night.

bearsfan_51
11-02-2011, 02:05 PM
It's either Texas v. USC or Ohio State v. Miami

All other choices are silly.

bearsfan_51
11-02-2011, 02:06 PM
The Texas/USC national title game was the best game I've seen recently, although there's obviously some other good choices up here (Oklahoma/Boise "Statue of Liberty", Ohio St./Miami)

But the Texas/USC game was just a GREAT game between two GREAT teams throwing haymakers on each other. Just a good, clean, football game where the talent on the field was able to shine through for both sides. Not surrounded by controversy like the Ohio St./Miami game.

I think national title games should be thrown out here, and only use regular season games or conference championship games.

In that case, this LSU/Alabama matchup holds as much or more significance than any regular season game since Oklahoma and Nebraska in 1971.

The reason for that is simple... there's not a team in the country that can beat either one of these teams, other than the one they'll be staring at across from them Saturday night.
That's such a collectively asinine statement for a game that hasn't even been played yet, in a season that isn't over yet.

JoeJoeBrown
11-02-2011, 02:08 PM

http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/hurr_durr.jpg

Omar
11-02-2011, 02:11 PM
USC-Texas for me. Ohio St.-Miami is close, but it falls behind because it was "tainted" somewhat.

and no I don't care about Reggie's scandal

JoeJoeBrown
11-02-2011, 02:19 PM
USC-Texas for me. Ohio St.-Miami is close, but it falls behind because it was "tainted" somewhat.

and no I don't care about Reggie's scandal

What burns me about the ******** "taint" is that OSU Miami had no business even going to overtime. Some majorly blown calls at the end of the game there.

Punisher
11-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Vince Young still owes me a remote control. I remember throwing it against the wall as VY easily glided past Brian Cushing(A Freshman at the time) time after time. The 4th an 2 stop against Lendale White sealed that game. :(

It's the kind of game that just gives SC fans a knot in their stomach thinking about.

JHL6719
11-02-2011, 02:38 PM
http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/hurr_durr.jpg

Of course....there are going to be a few that disagree... particularly from the weak a** Big-101112 where conference championship games would automatically make them unable to participate in such.

Anyone that can't see how much significance this game carries before it's even played is missing the boat. The two best teams in the country being from the same conference, let alone the same division is a rarity.

And stay far away from that #1 vs. #2 matchup between Michigan and Ohio St. a few years ago... Florida obliterated the winner of that game.

JoeJoeBrown
11-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Of course....there are going to be a few that disagree... particularly from the weak a** Big-101112 where conference championship games would automatically make them unable to participate in such.

Anyone that can't see how much significance this game carries before it's even played is missing the boat. The two best teams in the country being from the same conference, let alone the same division is a rarity.

And stay far away from that #1 vs. #2 matchup between Michigan and Ohio St. a few years ago... Florida obliterated the winner of that game.

http://www.yourfunnystuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/trolling-meant-something.jpg

JoeJoeBrown
11-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Vince Young still owes me a remote control. I remember throwing it against the wall as VY easily glided past Brian Cushing(A Freshman at the time) time after time. The 4th an 2 stop against Lendale White sealed that game. :(

It's the kind of game that just gives SC fans a knot in their stomach thinking about.

It had to kill you when they said he had his knee down when he fumbled that one time.

Punisher
11-02-2011, 02:55 PM
It had to kill you when they said he had his knee down when he fumbled that one time.

Stop, your giving me PTSD.

http://pollexworld.com/anudrake/sbn/sad-usc.jpg

jrdrylie

Stanford can (and will) beat one of these teams.

JHL6719
http://www.yourfunnystuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/trolling-meant-something.jpg

Which game up there got your vote Joe? :^)

K Train
i have never been so happy to decide to turn on a game as i was when the fiesta bowl between boise and oklahoma was over.

they were all great games....but the fiesta bowl stirred up so much emotion in me lol

JoeJoeBrown
11-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Which game up there got your vote Joe? :^)

OSU-Miami of course :)

JHL6719
11-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Yeah, that's about the same thing I heard around here the week LSU was headed to Morgantown. I tried to tell everybody...

Tell you what, you've got action on that anytime you want it.

Punisher
11-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Yeah, that's about the same thing I heard around here the week LSU was headed to Morgantown. I tried to tell everybody...

So? Is WVU evenly remotely close to Stanford this year? Nope

jrdrylie
11-02-2011, 03:04 PM

Stanford is 10x the team the West Virginia is. Plus, WVU's strengths play right into the strenghts of the LSU defense (speed). That isn't Stanford's style.

And compared to last week's Stanford-USC game, the LSU-Alabama game is doing to be a dud. Good QB play, which neither team has, makes games great.

JHL6719
11-02-2011, 03:04 PM
So? Is WVU evenly remotely close to Stanford this year? Nope

I don't know, you'd have to ask the fell'r that picked WV to upset LSU.

Who has WVU beat? Who has Stanford beat?

The point is it's irrelevant, Stanford isn't close to Bama or LSU.

jrdrylie
11-02-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't know, you'd have to ask the fell'r that picked WV to upset LSU.

Who has WVU beat? Who has Stanford beat?

The point is it's irrelevant, Stanford isn't close to Bama or LSU.

Who has Bama beat? A Penn State team that has scored under 17 points in more than half their games? An Arkansas team that can barely beat Vandy and Ole Miss?

As for LSU, their offense is all about running. Their QBs scare no one. They have a good defense, led by some good corners. But could it be oevrrated due to the fact that the SEC has no good QBs?

Complex
11-02-2011, 03:07 PM

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/no%20no%20no/grand/Shaking_head.gif

JHL6719
11-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Stanford is 10x the team the West Virginia is. Plus, WVU's strengths play right into the strenghts of the LSU defense (speed). That isn't Stanford's style.

And compared to last week's Stanford-USC game, the LSU-Alabama game is doing to be a dud. Good QB play, which neither team has, makes games great.

The teams A.J. McCarron has faced have significantly better defenses than anything Barkley or Luck have faced.

There's more to football than QB play, but if you like watching tennis matches between teams that can't play defense... boils down to a matter of taste I suppose.

Good football makes great games.

JHL6719
11-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Who has Bama beat? A Penn State team that has scored under 17 points in more than half their games? An Arkansas team that can barely beat Vandy and Ole Miss?

As for LSU, their offense is all about running. Their QBs scare no one. They have a good defense, led by some good corners. But could it be oevrrated due to the fact that the SEC has no good QBs?

You people say that every year, until your quarterbacks and offenses get crushed by SEC defenses.

Like I said, we'll make that bet anytime you want if Stanford gets the opportunity to play either one of these teams. Same goes for Boise St. and Oklahoma St.

jrdrylie
11-02-2011, 03:18 PM
The teams A.J. McCarron has faced have significantly better defenses than anything Barkley or Luck have faced.

There's more to football than QB play, but if you like watching tennis matches between teams that can't play defense... boils down to a matter of taste I suppose.

Good football makes great games.

Debatable...

What isn't debatable is that Andrew Luck is better than any QB Alabama will face this year and it isn't even close. Don't believer me? Kent State, North Texas, Rob Bolden/Matt McGloin, John Brantley, Aaron Rodgers brother, Randall Mackey, and Matt Sims. None of those QBs are ever going to step foot on an NFL field. the only decent QB they have played is Tyler Wilson.

JHL6719
11-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Did Matt Mauck scare anybody when LSU faced Oklahoma in 2003? Sooners came in with the highest scoring offense in the country and the Heisman Trophy winner at quarterback. Got held to 14 points while LSU was running the football down their throat.

Did Greg McElroy scare anybody when Texas faced Bama in '09? Bama knocked their shiny little quarterback outta the game and proceeded to have both starting tailbacks rush for over 100 yards a piece. McElroy didn't even have to pass for 50 yards.

Did Jay Barker scare anybody in 1992 when Bama faced and undefeated Miami Hurricanes team, with their Heisman Trophy winning QB? Nope. Miami didn't even score an offensive touchdown on Bama. Got blown out 34-13. Again, Barker barely passed for 50 yards.

I've seen it too many times.

jrdrylie
11-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Did Matt Mauck scare anybody when LSU faced Oklahoma in 2003? Sooners came in with the highest scoring offense in the country and the Heisman Trophy winner at quarterback. Got held to 14 points while LSU was running the football down their throat.

Did Greg McElroy scare anybody when Texas faced Bama in '09? Bama knocked their shiny little quarterback outta the game and proceeded to have both starting tailbacks rush for over 100 yards a piece. McElroy didn't even have to pass for 50 yards.

Did Jay Barker scare anybody in 1992 when Bama faced and undefeated Miami Hurricanes team, with their Heisman Trophy winning QB? Nope. Miami didn't even score an offensive touchdown on Bama. Got blown out 34-13. Again, Barker barely passed for 50 yards.

I've seen it too many times.

1992 and 2003 are too long ago to mean anything. In 2009, Texas was in the game until the last 2 minutes with Garrett Gilbert as their QB and we all have seen how bad Gilbert is.

Complex
11-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Debatable...

What isn't debatable is that Andrew Luck is better than any QB Alabama will face this year and it isn't even close. Don't believer me? Kent State, North Texas, Rob Bolden/Matt McGloin, John Brantley, Aaron Rodgers brother, Randall Mackey, and Matt Sims. None of those QBs are ever going to step foot on an NFL field. the only decent QB they have played is Tyler Wilson.

How is it debatable? name a Pac 10/12 defense that scares anyone? Tyler Bray and Tyler Wilson are both future top 10 picks.

JHL6719
11-02-2011, 03:30 PM
1992 and 2003 are too long ago to mean anything. In 2009, Texas was in the game until the last 2 minutes with Garrett Gilbert as their QB and we all have seen how bad Gilbert is.

Texas was getting blown out 24-6 at halftime. Saban called off the dogs like he always does and let Texas back in it. However, he dialed it back up again when Texas was getting too close, sacking the QB and forcing turnovers again.

Hopefully we'll find out. I know who I'm taking.

jrdrylie
11-02-2011, 03:31 PM
How is it debatable? name a Pac 10/12 defense that scares anyone? Tyler Bray and Tyler Wilson are both future top 10 picks.

Tyler Bray didn't play against Alabama. And I mentioned Wilson. But out of 8 games they have played one good QB.

jrdrylie
11-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Texas was getting blown out 24-6 at halftime. Saban called off the dogs like he always does and let Texas back in it. However, he dialed it back up again when Texas was getting too close, sacking the QB and forcing turnovers again.

Hopefully we'll find out. I know who I'm taking.

They were up 8 points with 30 seconds left. They kicked a FG and then returned a fluke INT. It wasn't the blow out you seem to think it was.

bearsfan_51
11-02-2011, 03:36 PM
I think the general point is that upsets happen all the time. There are two MAJOR assumptions that this game will be put up there with Texas vs. USC, et. al.

1) That the game will be a good game. This is a HUGE assumption, based on an uncountable number of variables.

2) That the winner of LSU-Alabama is going to win the NC game.

It's just absurd to say right now that this game ranks as one of the top games of the last 10-15 years when it hasn't even been played yet.

Complex
11-02-2011, 03:37 PM

Stanford has beat who? USC? they could barely beat Minnesota,Arizona and ND. There best win besides USC is Washington.

JHL6719
11-02-2011, 03:39 PM
They were up 8 points with 30 seconds left. They kicked a FG and then returned a fluke INT. It wasn't the blow out you seem to think it was.

Bama was up 10 points with 2 minutes left. Then scored another TD after Eryk Anders forced a sack/fumble with Texas backed up inside their own 5 yardline.

jrdrylie
11-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Bama was up 10 points with 2 minutes left. Then scored another TD after Eryk Anders forced a sack/fumble with Texas backed up inside their own 5 yardline.

I meant at halftime, not the end of the game.

SickwithIt1010
11-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Bama and LSU shouldnt be on this list. They havent even played yet. For all we know it will be a blow out.

Whoever said the miami play was pass interference is ******* high by the way.

My vote is still USC vs Texas and it isnt even close. The number 1 and number 2 teams the whole season on a collision course for the best game of the season and it didnt let down at all.

jrdrylie
11-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Bama and LSU shouldnt be on this list. They havent even played yet. For all we know it will be a blow out.

My vote is still USC vs Texas and it isnt even close. The number 1 and number 2 teams the whole season on a collision course for the best game of the season and it didnt let down at all.

The defensive back held Gamble's arm about a yard past the line of scrimmage. Maybe they should have called holding rather than PI (which is actually what the ref did at the very beginning) but it was definitely a penalty.

JoeJoeBrown
11-02-2011, 04:11 PM

It was named one of the best ref calls ever by Referee Magazine (http://www.naso.org/PressReleases/st143.htm).

I'll take their opinion over a bunch of internet derps any day :)