PDA

View Full Version : Mid Season Awards

RaiderNation
11-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Post who you think are the mid season award winners...

MVP -Aaron Rodgers- has led the Packers to an undefeated record, putting up MVP type stats

OPY- Calvin Johnson- Megatron is putting up incredible stats, and is on pace to have one his best seasons in his career.

DPY- Jared Allen- Allen leads the NFL in sacks and looks like he has regained his elite status at DE

ORY -Cam Newton- Newton has looked like a 'supastar' for the Panthers, and will break the NFL record for rushing TDs in the next few weeks

DRY -Aldon Smith- Smith is on a much improved 49er team and is apart of a top 3 defense in the NFL

Comeback player- Matt Stafford- Stafford could be regarded as a top 10 QB after coming off a serious injury from last year, that's if the Lions make the playoffs

Coach of the year- JimHarbaugh- Harbaugh has turned this 49er team into a efficient team that has all but won the NFC West by mid season.

BigBanger
11-04-2011, 02:46 AM
Jon is the coach for Baltimore. You're looking for Jim. But that's pretty much correct.

I'd only consider changing DPOY. I'd go with Revis. He has been a beast.

RaiderNation
11-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Jon is the coach for Baltimore. You're looking for Jim. But that's pretty much correct.

I'd only consider changing DPOY. I'd go with Revis. He has been a beast.

Lol I always get the names mixed up, thanks.

If Allen keeps up this pace, he will break the sack record. Even though he is a on a bad team you can't deny him the award if he does it.

gsorace
11-04-2011, 03:19 AM
Darrelle Revis should win DPOY every year.

VernonLawson89
11-04-2011, 03:19 AM
Pretty much agree with everything.

J-Mike88
11-04-2011, 05:41 AM
OPY- Calvin Johnson- Megatron is putting up incredible stats, and is on pace to have one his best seasons in his career..
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/1102/understatement-sky-clouds-guy-under-tree-demotivational-posters-1296780911.jpg

He's on pace to shatter all-time NFL TD records.
A lot better than on pace to have one of his best seasons.

I agree with all your picks though, including Jared Allen over Revis, Woodson, Ware.

JBCX
11-04-2011, 07:02 AM
I'd take Von Miller as Defensive Rookie of the Year over anyone, though.

Colston Creamery
11-04-2011, 11:17 AM
DeMarcus Ware is .5 sacks behind Allen with one less game and is just as dominant. Id say Ware for DPY. and I think Fred Jackson should be up there for OPY. That is if the Bills continue to win down the stretch.

Complex
11-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Revis should be DPY, QBs have a 2.something rating throwing at him.

abaddon41_80
11-04-2011, 11:24 AM
MVP - Rodgers
OPOTY - Calvin Johson
DPOTY - Ware
OROTY - Newton
DROTY - Aldon Smith
Coach - Chan Gailey

BTW, love todd's post.

Rabscuttle
11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
MVP - Rodgers has the reigning champs at the top. Without his stellar play, they'd be one hit wonders and not a threat to repeat.

OPY - F Jackson - Putting up very nice numbers and helping a team win that probably wouldn't do much without him.

DPY - Revis - Having an amazing year and the Jets would be ****** without him. We are talking suck for Luck ******. Their scheme would be worthless with a mortal manning his island.

ORY - Dalton - A rookie qb leading the Bengals of all teams to a turnaround, that should never happen. Sure the defense keeps them in it, but it wouldn't take much of a drop in quarterback play to drop this team back in the toilet.

DRY - A Smith - When he's in the game, he's a factor on a defense that doesn't give up many points. Game changing plays when his team needs them and a lot of pressure when he isn't getting the sack. It's not feast or famine with this guy and he is just getting started.

Coach - How can I forget Harbaugh and the Handshake of Doom? He is getting a lot out of his squad and his staff has guys ready to play. Backups fill in seemlessly and players are being used to their strengths. It's been a steady implementation of a new system, while somehow winning along the way without getting to the NFCW part of their schedule.

MetSox17
11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Does anyone else have such a lock over an award, as much as Newton does to the OROY award? I guess you could argue for Rodgers/MVP as well. If those guys don't win their respective awards, i'd be extremely surprised.

Punisher
11-04-2011, 01:13 PM
different shortcuts with different meanings and explanation make a great sense

Why did this make me laugh so hard? Am I the only one?

Anyways, it should be a good battle for DPOY with Von Miller and Aldon Smith duking it out.

Comeback player of the year award wasn't mentioned. Who do you guys have for that honor?

Edit* I stand corrected.

MetSox17
11-04-2011, 01:15 PM
He did mention it, he said Matt Stafford.

Punisher
11-04-2011, 01:17 PM
He did mention it, he said Matt Stafford.

Yeah, just noticed it.

What are the chances Chris Johnson wins Comeback player of the year next year?

MetSox17
11-04-2011, 01:21 PM
I don't think he should get an award for being a lazy, greedy, ***** this year. I doubt that's in the description for the award.

VernonLawson89
11-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Anyways, it should be a good battle for DPOY with Von Miller and Aldon Smith duking it out.

I remember Von Miller in an interview after the Draft, saying if he doesn't win DROY, he thinks Aldon Smith will take it.

Pretty cool.

the new jesus
11-04-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't think he should get an award for being a lazy, greedy, ***** this year. I doubt that's in the description for the award.

How is he lazy or greedy?

killxswitch
11-04-2011, 01:50 PM
How is he lazy or greedy?

Greedy - holding out for so long.

Lazy - he's playing like **** this year and doesn't seem to be trying very hard.

That's my wild guess on his reasoniong.

MetSox17
11-04-2011, 01:54 PM
He has looked out of shape the whole season. If he was gonna be greedy and sacrifice the success of his team (which at that point completely relied on him for offense) for his own financial benefit, at least make sure you stay in good enough shape where you can come in and make the transition smoothly. He has looked like ass the whole year.

thegreatone
11-04-2011, 05:12 PM
MVP -Aaron Rodgers - Just an absolute stud

OPY- Aaron Rodgers

DPY- Aaron Rodgers

ORY -Cam Newton

DRY -Aldon Smith

Coach of the year - Aaron Rodgers - Coach on the field

Punisher
11-04-2011, 05:20 PM
MVP -Aaron Rodgers - Just an absolute stud

OPY- Aaron Rodgers

DPY- Aaron Rodgers

ORY -Cam Newton

DRY -Aldon Smith

Coach of the year - Aaron Rodgers - Coach on the field

Did you know Aaron Rodgers is QB for THE Green Bay Packers?

Breed
11-04-2011, 05:30 PM
If Bengals make the playoffs Andy Dalton will win rookie of the year

bigbluedefense
11-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Revis really does make the Jets defense tick. It's all about Revis. Talent wise, they don't have as much talent on that defense as people think. They just have a good secondary and David Harris.

But they can do so much defensively bc of Revis. He really does tilt the field. Usually you take out the opponent's best weapon with your best CB and your best safety up top.

With Revis, you just put Revis on him. Done. He's literally taken away from the game completely. Now you double the #2. Now he's gone. That alone makes Revis so important.

But what's more telling is how the Jets blitz packages are designed. They bring pressure from Revis's side. Basically, they dare you to throw at Revis. And bc he's so lights out, you're stuck, bc your hot read is against Revis, and you can't throw to your hot.

So what do you do? That's what makes the Jets defense so good.

You can't throw to your best weapon, and on top of that, you can't throw to your hot most of the time either, bc your hot read is covered by Revis. So you're screwed.

That defense is built around him, and it's amazing how well he performs every week. He's by far my favorite defensive player in football.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Von>Aldon.

VernonLawson89
11-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Von>Aldon.

Explanation?

ShutDwn
11-04-2011, 06:06 PM
If Bengals make the playoffs Andy Dalton will win rookie of the year

Maybe if the voters aren't allowed to watch Newton play. Dalton's been great, but Cam's season has been historic.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Explanation?

More tackles, more name recognition, actually starts. He'll win the award based on that. (If everything stays as it is)

Brodeur
11-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Maybe if the voters aren't allowed to watch Newton play. Dalton's been great, but Cam's season has been historic.

Dalton did won rookie of the month for October.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-04-2011, 06:22 PM

DID WON BRODEUR? DID WON?

VernonLawson89
11-04-2011, 06:31 PM
More tackles, more name recognition, actually starts. He'll win the award based on that. (If everything stays as it is)

I somewhat agree, but i think it comes down to the sacks (sexier stat) Whoever ends up with more, wins.

Jvig43
11-04-2011, 06:31 PM

Why do people have to just put down Newton's season. Youre just a hater. Dalton is no supastaaaa

MetSox17
11-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Aldon Smith isn't required to do a whole lot more than just rush the passer. Von Miller isn't having a great year, but at least he plays full-time. He's learning how to be a 4-3 OLB

ShutDwn
11-04-2011, 06:44 PM

Cause all he doez iz winnnnnnnn

Brodeur
11-04-2011, 07:06 PM
DID WON BRODEUR? DID WON?

This is not my finest moment.

MetSox17
11-04-2011, 07:13 PM
'I' is next to 'O' in the keyboard, you could have played it off, Brody. You idiot.

Brodeur
11-04-2011, 07:30 PM
'I' is next to 'O' in the keyboard, you could have played it off, Brody. You idiot.

I own up to my mistakes/issues.

Breed
11-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Dalton taking his team to the playoffs as a rookie > Newton breaking a record or two...

Malaka
11-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Dalton taking his team to the playoffs as a rookie > Newton breaking a record or two...

But probably not in the eyes of the voters, because you know... statz.

gsorace
11-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Newton not being a filthy ginger helps also.

Ngatachance92
11-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Newton not being a filthy ginger helps also.

Yeah, no one in their right mind would vote for a member of the souless horde... Jeff Garcia was a fluke.

ShutDwn
11-04-2011, 09:58 PM

obvious troll is obvious. Taking his team, that's funny.

You don't even know the topic of the thread. Silly Breed.

StripedWalrus
11-04-2011, 11:30 PM
This is based on mid season and not my thoughts on how it will be at the end of the season.

NFC

MVP - Aaron Rodgers
OPY - Calvin Johnson
DPY - Jared Allen
ORY - Cam Newton
DRY - Aldon Smith
Comeback Player - Steve Smith (Carolina)
Coach - Jim Harbaugh (49ers)

AFC

MVP - Tom Brady
OPY - Fred Jackson
DPY - Darrelle Revis
ORY - AJ Green
DRY - Von Miller
Comeback Player - Willis Mcgahee
Coach - Marvin Lewis (Bengals)

NFL

MVP - Aaron Rodgers
OPY - Calvin Johnson
DPY - Jared Allen
ORY - Cam Newton
DRY - Von Miller
Comeback Player - Steve Smith (Carolina)
Coach - Jim Harbaugh (49ers)

BuddyCHRIST
11-04-2011, 11:47 PM
I'll go with

MVP - Aaron Rodgers - nuff said
OPOY - Aaron Rodgers - I know people like to think this will be a skill player who has a great season, but it'll probably be same guy who wins MVP.
DPOY - Revis - Because he deserves this award about 3 times, guys unreal at an unbeilevably hard position to play. I think he's the best non QB in the NFL.
OROY - Newton - He's popular, stats, exciting. Plus he's been great. Some deserving guys though.
DROY - Aldon Smith - Also some deserving guys, but the Niners are good.
Comeback - Stafford - Someone has this argument every year "He was never good to start" but thats not really how this award works.
Coach - Harbaugh - Looking at their schedule and they will probably finish 12-4 at worst.

BigBanger
11-04-2011, 11:54 PM
If Allen keeps up this pace, he will break the sack record. Even though he is a on a bad team you can't deny him the award if he does it.bigbluedefense pretty much stole my thunder.

I think Revis, simply put, is one of the handful of elite defensive players in the game. I don't think Jared Allen is (a tier below), so despite Allen being on pace for a career year, I don't think its enough to top the second best season of Revis's career thus far. Revis is as big of a game changing defensive player the NFL has. Jared Allen is just really, really good and he's having a great season ... by his standards, but he's not altering games to the level that Revis has been. I'd compare this years situation to last years. Troy Polamalu made game changing plays on a near weekly basis last year that directly led to Steelers wins. Clay Matthews had a great season and made a big impact as well, but he didn't have those game altering plays that directly lead to Packers winning or losing a game (his level of play also dropped off substantially in the last 1/4 of the season).

I think Revis is one of the few dominating players in the game and I don't know if another defensive player is playing quite at his level. He's not playing up to his 2009 season (where he should have had a share of the DPOY with Charles Woodson), but he's damn close. As bigbluedefense said, the center piece of the Jets defense is Darrelle Revis. I've never seen a defense put so much pressure on their CB. Ty Law was asked to do pretty much everything (covering both sides of the field, the slot, blitzing, run support), but Revis is doing everything and utterly dominating in every aspect of the game. I think its Revis' year and right now, I don't think it's very close.

Now that I think about it, I don't like Jim Harbaugh for Coach of the Year. I think the great coaches get passed up on a yearly basis for coaches who kinda suck (Dick Juron, Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, Jim Haslett ... those are crappy coaches. I don't want to add Harbaugh to that list). That coach in Pittsburgh? I like him. That coach in Green Bay? I like him.

descendency
11-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Darrelle Revis should win DPOY every year.

Ok coach Ryan...

TACKLE
11-27-2011, 10:53 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread and this one seemed like the most logical to bump.

Ware, Von, Woodson or Sizzle for DPOY?

A Perfect Score
11-27-2011, 10:55 PM
bigbluedefense pretty much stole my thunder.

I think Revis, simply put, is one of the handful of elite defensive players in the game. I don't think Jared Allen is (a tier below), so despite Allen being on pace for a career year, I don't think its enough to top the second best season of Revis's career thus far. Revis is as big of a game changing defensive player the NFL has. Jared Allen is just really, really good and he's having a great season ... by his standards, but he's not altering games to the level that Revis has been. I'd compare this years situation to last years. Troy Polamalu made game changing plays on a near weekly basis last year that directly led to Steelers wins. Clay Matthews had a great season and made a big impact as well, but he didn't have those game altering plays that directly lead to Packers winning or losing a game (his level of play also dropped off substantially in the last 1/4 of the season).

I think Revis is one of the few dominating players in the game and I don't know if another defensive player is playing quite at his level. He's not playing up to his 2009 season (where he should have had a share of the DPOY with Charles Woodson), but he's damn close. As bigbluedefense said, the center piece of the Jets defense is Darrelle Revis. I've never seen a defense put so much pressure on their CB. Ty Law was asked to do pretty much everything (covering both sides of the field, the slot, blitzing, run support), but Revis is doing everything and utterly dominating in every aspect of the game. I think its Revis' year and right now, I don't think it's very close.

Now that I think about it, I don't like Jim Harbaugh for Coach of the Year. I think the great coaches get passed up on a yearly basis for coaches who kinda suck (Dick Juron, Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, Jim Haslett ... those are crappy coaches. I don't want to add Harbaugh to that list). That coach in Pittsburgh? I like him. That coach in Green Bay? I like him.

Didn't you make a huge deal last season about how Troy Polamalu is a better football player then Darrelle Revis?

DanZilla
11-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Probably Woodson since they are undefeated so far...would love to see Ware/Miller win it though.

CDCB14
11-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Didn't you make a huge deal last season about how Troy Polamalu is a better football player then Darrelle Revis?

And that is so wrong its ridiculous.

Polamalu (at this point in his career) doesn't belong in the same breath as Darelle Revis. If they were on the same team, Polamalu should do Revis' laundry. And I hate the Jets, but I hate how overrated Polamalu is too. He looked like a high schooler in the super bowl last year.

But you gotta love the media, and how big name players just live on reputation years after they are a shell of themselves..

TACKLE
11-28-2011, 04:31 PM

Way to sidetrack the thread, jerk. I just wanted to discuss the DPOY!

cmarq83
11-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Probably Woodson since they are undefeated so far...would love to see Ware/Miller win it though.

I certainly hope not. Woodson has been good and a ballhawk like always, but he and that defense in general are not why they are undefeated. That side of the ball has been opportunistic, but they have not been consistent. On a game to game basis Ware and Revis have been better, and they have both been passed over in years before. Personally I think one of them deserves it.

prock
11-29-2011, 04:53 AM
If Woodsen wins DPOY I will hurt something innocent. As much as I would love Allen to get it, it's gotta go to Revis. He is too damn good.