PDA

View Full Version : Is Peyton Manning done?

killxswitch
11-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Our local paper the Indy Star just released two articles in which it seems both writers now doubt Manning will return to football. He's had 3 neck/spine surgeries in 19 months, he was only just recently cleared to jog during practices, the fusion hasn't actually happened yet, and as far as anyone knows he still can't throw the ball. Also, he will be 37 in March.

The Colts have an option to cut him before the new league year so he will have to pass a physical in order to receive $28 million in guaranteed money.

So, simple question. Do you think Manning will ever play again?

murdamal86
11-04-2011, 10:28 AM
He's done to me. Sucky way for him to go out, but I just got a feeling that he's done.

abaddon41_80
11-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I want to say no but I also have a feeling that he might be done.

jrdrylie
11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm not a doctor. I haven't seen x-rays. None of of have. So it is way too early to tell.

LonghornsLegend
11-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Too early to tell, but it is early enough to tell that the Colts shouldn't, and won't put their eggs into the Peyton Manning basket and pass up a QB this year to try and make a SB run for the next 3 years. That's been the dumbest thing I've heard in the past month or so but people won't let it go.

It's not like he broke his foot so the recovery is planned and typical. Your dealing with spine surgeries, in fact some of the surgery/treatment he's done has been the first of it's kind. Even if he does come back and play, not even doctors will know what the impact will be when he lands the wrong way on a sack.

You take Luck/Barkeley, hope Peyton can get healthy enough to play next season and if so start him. But this notion that they are going to pass up a QB and put all their eggs in the Peyton Manning basket, should be thrown in the trash.

Complex
11-04-2011, 11:18 AM
I doubt Peyton would be okay with mentoring Andre Luck or Barkley and starting until one of them is ready to play. I think he would ask to be released or traded before that happens. Anyways It's to soon to tell.

FUNBUNCHER
11-04-2011, 11:39 AM
If I were Peyton Manning, I would not risk a devastating outcome from another spinal/neck injury from taking the wrong hit.

He's had a great career but at some point your long term health has to become the main issue.

We'll see, but I kind of think Peyton and the Colts FO already know whether or not he's going to play again.

Splat
11-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I would be pretty surprised if he doesn't at least try to give it a go.

yo123
11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm not a doctor.

/thread...

killxswitch
11-04-2011, 11:49 AM
/thread...

If we can't make predictions then Scott might as well shut this site down.

CC.SD
11-04-2011, 11:51 AM
He'll be back. and then on to a successful career Chopping That Meat.

yo123
11-04-2011, 11:55 AM
If we can't make predictions then Scott might as well shut this site down.

Scott makes educated predictions, there is a difference.

LonghornsLegend
11-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I doubt Peyton would be okay with mentoring Andre Luck or Barkley and starting until one of them is ready to play. I think he would ask to be released or traded before that happens. Anyways It's to soon to tell.

He doesn't have that many years left in his career left anyway, if any. What position is he in to "not be okay"? He doesn't have to be a "mentor" anyway, last I checked Favre never really did for Rodgers all that much, you can soak up information by just being around him.

FUNBUNCHER
11-04-2011, 12:15 PM
How much more info do you really need to have an opinion about Peyton's future in the NFL??

LonghornsLegend is right, we're talking about a neck/spinal injury that so far hasn't responded to post-surgical treatment(stem cell therapy) or multiple surgeries. Again, we're talking about Manning's neck.

Actually I wonder how close Manning was to a potentially horrific spinal injury(paralysis) from the initial hit that caused his injury in the first place.

Technically it's too soon to know for sure, but IMO each week that passes where Peyton isn't cleared to wear pads and throw a football isn't good.

And I doubt any doctor in good conscience is going to clear Peyton to play football again. It's going to be his decision alone IMO.

ImBrotherCain
11-04-2011, 12:19 PM
He doesn't have that many years left in his career left anyway, if any. What position is he in to "not be okay"? He doesn't have to be a "mentor" anyway, last I checked Favre never really did for Rodgers all that much, you can soak up information by just being around him.

If I remember correctly Favre wasn't keen on even having Rodgers around. You're right though you can clearly see an influence on Rogers play. I can't help but think that Rogers looks like Favre sometimes.

killxswitch
11-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Let's also remember that just Favre being an asshole toward Rogers doesn't mean Manning will be the same way. He and the backups dissect film together regularly, or at least they did when he was healthy. A guy like Luck or Barkley doesn't need to learn how to pass the ball or take a snap from Manning. Manning's value is in the info he processes and the actions he takes based on what he sees. That is where a rookie will learn the most. Not just on the practice field.

Smooth Criminal
11-04-2011, 12:41 PM
I think he's done with the Colts, but I think he'll try to get one more shot with another team. Somewhere like Arizona looks like it could be a nice fit down the road.

WCH
11-04-2011, 12:52 PM
I didn't really think he was done until he came out yesterday and said that he's having the same problems he had before the operation, with the lack of nerve regeneration. This is two months after a procedure with an estimated recovery time of two-three months.

With him having said that, you don't have to be a doctor to figure out that things don't look as optimistic as they did a couple of months ago.

MetSox17
11-04-2011, 01:02 PM
It would be a real ****** way for him to go out. If i said last year that you'd be watching the last you've ever seen of Peyton Manning, you'd think i was joking. The third surgery was out of left field (well, the fact that he wasn't healing properly was unexpected), and now to say he's done forever, is kind of, well.. sad.

Say it ain't so.

killxswitch
11-04-2011, 01:22 PM
It would be a real ****** way for him to go out. If i said last year that you'd be watching the last you've ever seen of Peyton Manning, you'd think i was joking. The third surgery was out of left field (well, the fact that he wasn't healing properly was unexpected), and now to say he's done forever, is kind of, well.. sad.

Say it ain't so.

Especially when my lasting memory of his final game is him pissed off at Caldwell for calling yet another dumbass timeout that eventually lead to the Colts getting booted from the playoffs. It's not right.

ElectricEye
11-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I highly doubt that he never plays in an NFL game again. There's still a chance he plays this season, even. If he'll be able to stay healthy or should play again I'm not in a position to tell you, but you have to think he'll at least give it a serious shot.

soybean
11-04-2011, 01:31 PM
kind of reminds me of steve young.

RealityCheck
11-04-2011, 01:31 PM
He will recover next season, play 3 games and be benched for the QB they'll draft in the 5th round.

Brothgar
11-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Too early to tell, but it is early enough to tell that the Colts shouldn't, and won't put their eggs into the Peyton Manning basket and pass up a QB this year to try and make a SB run for the next 3 years. That's been the dumbest thing I've heard in the past month or so but people won't let it go.

It's not like he broke his foot so the recovery is planned and typical. Your dealing with spine surgeries, in fact some of the surgery/treatment he's done has been the first of it's kind. Even if he does come back and play, not even doctors will know what the impact will be when he lands the wrong way on a sack.

You take Luck/Barkeley, hope Peyton can get healthy enough to play next season and if so start him. But this notion that they are going to pass up a QB and put all their eggs in the Peyton Manning basket, should be thrown in the trash.

On what planet is this the dumbest suggestion you've ever heard. This isn't even the dumbest thing a GM has done all season. People are acting as though Andrew Luck is the last franchise QB that's ever going to come out in the draft. It really depends on two very important things.

1. Manning's health and the likely hood of reaggravation of the injury.

2. What can you get in trade for Peyton Manning.

3. What can you get in trade for Andrew Luck.

If Manning can't go the decision is obvious. Take Luck and move on. If Manning is healthy you have to see which of the two gets you more IMO.

The Manning trade gave two firsts a third and a 5th to drop to 4th. The stock of QBs has gone up so lets just say two firsts and two seconds. As a prospect Luck is much better than Eli was.

Manning's value when healthy is likely the same but with his age and neck injury I can't see more than a first this year and a second next (Carson Palmer trade rape) if they are lucky. If they are able to get more than that
the decision becomes easy. If they can't get that though two firsts and two seconds goes a long way to rebuilding this team. You could in all likely hood trade one of those seconds or a second and a third to New England for Ryan Mallett who could be the true QBotF and you can add another prime prospect like another OT or RB or can even trade down and gather some Corners and LBs there is tons of flexibility. Even the greatest QB in a bad situation isn't going to fix everything. I'd take a half way decent QB with pieces around him.

7-11
11-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Look i know most of you hate Peyton Manning and the whole Colts organisation (read: Jim Irsay, Bill Polian) but if this really is the way he goes out, it's pretty damn sad. Especially for me considering the first game of football i ever saw was the SEC Championship game in '97 which basically made me a Manning fan, and subsequently a Colts fan.

bucfan12
11-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Manning is got a lot of work to do if he is ever cleared to play or continue to practice or even workout.

THey showed him on the sidelines a few weeks ago and he looks like he's lost a ton of weight. With it being 3 neck surgies in 19 months and being 37 in March, his body, especially a serious injury such as a neck injury, isn't going to be what it was to recover.

PackerLegend
11-04-2011, 04:52 PM
He may not be officially done but he doesn't have much left. He is going to be 37 next season with a bum neck. Even if his neck was 100% his time is still running short. I dont think he will be around much longer.

bucfan12
11-04-2011, 05:10 PM
He's had one heck of a career. He's a 1st ballot Hall of Famer if he hangs it up after this year, no matter what.

This season proves not only how much he meant to the Colts, but he was the Colts. At 37 years old, thats old in football terms, but still a young individual to risk any serious damage to his health.

bigbluedefense
11-04-2011, 05:25 PM
I hope he's not, but I'm pretty sure his career is over.

Let's think about this for a second, they're hoping he regenerates nerves.

Regenerates nerves. You know how rare that is? When you lose a nerve, it's done. It doesn't come back. I don't care how much money you have, if it can't come back, it can't come back.

This fusion surgery was a desperation attempt with very uneven results based on past attempts. It's no guarantee at all.

And it still hasn't fused, which puts him off schedule if the surgery was in fact successful. The fact that they had to perform it again in an attempt to kick start it shows that the signs aren't promising.

I hate that it has to end this way, but it seems like it's over for Peyton. I'll be shocked if he can resume his career. It's a sad way to see him go, but I'm not expecting him to come back.

Job Reborn
11-04-2011, 10:27 PM
This possibility makes me a sad panda.

J-Mike88
11-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Scott makes educated predictions, there is a difference.
The forum is for us all to do that.
Some people here are more educated on medical situations than football actually.

Nick Collins.... I fear he's done too, and he's about 7 years younger than Manning, but has the neck injury.
If either can play again, let it be Nick please thank you.

yo123
11-04-2011, 10:41 PM
The forum is for us all to do that.
Some people here are more educated on medical situations than football actually.

Nick Collins.... I fear he's done too, and he's about 7 years younger than Manning, but has the neck injury.
If either can play again, let it be Nick please thank you.

If there are any doctors on here it would be news to me. Everyone else is just guessing.

Ngatachance92
11-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Well, an upside of this is I won't have to fear the Colts on my teams schedule for atleast a season or two...

descendency
11-05-2011, 12:06 AM
If Indy doesn't win a game this year and the Colts pick #1 overall, I think his career as the Colts' starting QB is over.

It won't really matter what happens if the Colts control the destiny of Andrew Luck. Either they'll get an elite QB (or at least a very good one) or they'll 10k+ draft value points worth for that pick.

Ness
11-05-2011, 05:38 AM
You folks are acting like this is the first time you've seen a player, even a very good one, retire due to injuries. I guess it's sad, but he's going to be 37. He wasn't going to play for much longer anyways. We've seen the same thing time and time again with other quarterbacks having to walk away due to nagging injuries and advanced age. Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Steve McNair, etc. Walking out on top like John Elway is a very rare thing.

Bengalsrocket
11-05-2011, 06:09 AM
You folks are acting like this is the first time you've seen a player, even a very good one, retire due to injuries. I guess it's sad, but he's going to be 37. He wasn't going to play for much longer anyways. We've seen the same thing time and time again with other quarterbacks having to walk away due to nagging injuries and advanced age. Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Steve McNair, etc. Walking out on top like John Elway is a very rare thing.

It is a surprise though. There was talk about him being ready to play at the beginning of this season, and then all the sudden it's possible his career is over?

The guys you listed had persistent problems through out their career, and it was really obvious when their retirements were coming.

bigbluedefense
11-05-2011, 08:02 AM
I'm not a doctor but I'm a scientist who specializes in cell culture. *shrug*

I won't pretend to be an expert in the field of nerve regeneration, but from my understanding, it seems like a long shot for him to regenerate nerves.

He has a better chance through stem cell therapy, but I'm not sure of the legality of that.

PoopSandwich
11-05-2011, 11:16 AM
How amazing of a coach, especially QB coach, would Manning be? He could just yell audibles and stuff into the QB's headset and win games with like ken dorsey and bilbo baggins at receiver

falloutboy14
11-05-2011, 11:35 AM
He has a better chance through stem cell therapy, but I'm not sure of the legality of that.

He took a trip to Europe to give that a try. Want to say it was early in the season.

CashmoneyDrew
11-05-2011, 11:40 AM
How amazing of a coach, especially QB coach, would Manning be? He could just yell audibles and stuff into the QB's headset and win games with like ken dorsey and bilbo baggins at receiver

It's like every Vol fans wet dream that he'll come be the Vols offensive coordinator (if not head coach) the moment he retires. There's about one new thread started on it every day over on Volnation.