PDA

View Full Version : Nick Perry, DE / OLB, USC

Razor
11-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Couldn't find a thread on this guy, so here we go. I was wondering what Perry's stock is at the moment. He really disappointed last year, but this year he seems to have taken a big step forward. I feel like OLB would be his natural position in the NFL even though he's a bit tight in the hips from what I've seen. He could stand to add some strength in his upper body, but overall I might like him at least as much as Courtney Upshaw as a 3-4 OLB. Thoughts? Also, he's only a junior, so will he return to school or enter the draft?

BRAVEHEART
11-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Couldn't find a thread on this guy, so here we go. I was wondering what Perry's stock is at the moment. He really disappointed last year, but this year he seems to have taken a big step forward. I feel like OLB would be his natural position in the NFL even though he's a bit tight in the hips from what I've seen. He could stand to add some strength in his upper body, but overall I might like him at least as much as Courtney Upshaw as a 3-4 OLB. Thoughts? Also, he's only a junior, so will he return to school or enter the draft?

You sure about that, that's where most of his strength is.

Razor
11-05-2011, 09:42 AM
You sure about that, that's where most of his strength is.

Well, since most of USC's games are late games and I'm EST+6 I don't get to watch as much Pac-10 this year is I'd like to. So I'm depending on youtube videos etc. to watch these guys play. And from what I've seen he will have a hard time especially against the run in the NFL. So yeah, I think he could stand to add some muscle in his upper body from what I've seen.

DraftSavant
11-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Still raw as a prospect, but has a pretty good skillset to work with. He doesn't have an extensive set of pass rush moves - it's either bullrush or a rip off the bullrush. Stiff hips - rounds the edge instead of bending it. Although, you don't really know if that's just coaching or if he's physically unable to do it until you work him out yourself.

He's got very good closing speed, though, and the frame to add more weight. Intriguing prospect.

BRAVEHEART
11-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Well, since most of USC's games are late games and I'm EST+6 I don't get to watch as much Pac-10 this year is I'd like to. So I'm depending on youtube videos etc. to watch these guys play. And from what I've seen he will have a hard time especially against the run in the NFL. So yeah, I think he could stand to add some muscle in his upper body from what I've seen.

Which vids are you watching? His upper body (especially his arms) are huge, and he's plenty strong (playing as a DT often in his RS Freshman year). His struggles in the run game have more to do with him overrunning plays trying to get to the QB than penetrating. My knocks on him have already been said before, lack of pass-rushing moves (primarily just uses his strength to barrel into OL, or speed rush past them), and stiff hips.

RaiderNation
11-05-2011, 01:47 PM
I see Perry as a 2/3 round prospect at this point, but there is a ton a room to grow. I'd advise him to stay for his Senior year, because he could end up beig a 1st round selection to either a 4-3 or 3-4 team. He should impress at the combine which will help his stock, but I just dont see the 1st round value yet for Perry.

SickwithIt1010
11-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Im excited about Perry and Kenard as prospects at the next level.

Duffman57
11-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Word is that its all but a sure thing that he's gonna leave, since he does graduate this year, and is a RS Jr. But I LOVE this kid. He just reminds me of Merriman through and through. He has very active hands, but doesn't necessarily have many moves, and can really struggle when some OT's can deal with his get off, because he really doesn't use countermoves all that well, which is the only thing that doesn't remind me of Merriman. According to someone at Draft Insider, some people that are close to the program say that he's a legit 4.6 guy and despite his listed weight, he's actually 265, rather than 250. He's incredibly athletic, and actually will do very well in a Merriman-esque and now what Wade Phillips is doing with Mario Williams role rushing the passer. I think he should be a mid/late first round pick when its all said and done with all the combine stuff through.

Babylon
11-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Im excited about Perry and Kenard as prospects at the next level.

I've always loved Perry and wouldnt be surprised to see him excel at the next level. Would probably want him more as a 3-4 lb. Not a fan of Kenard's.

BRAVEHEART
11-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I've always loved Perry and wouldnt be surprised to see him excel at the next level. Would probably want him more as a 3-4 lb. Not a fan of Kenard's.

This, Kennard will have to really show me something next year.

SickwithIt1010
11-06-2011, 10:59 PM

I just mention Kennard due to the fact he has played MLB, he as played the SAM position and now he is back to his normal position at DE. He may be an intriguing 3-4 OLB prospect.

Punisher
11-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Kennard is still adjusting to the switch back and taking on collegiate defenders. He had a nasty leg injury too coming out of high school. That said, he doesn't possess the natural athleticism it takes to be an OLB in the league, or the strength to be a DE.

Kind of sad too because his insane hype he had out of high school combined with him being such a well rounded individual off the field.

Hopefully he can improve in the off season on his hand movement/placement,spin move, and agility so he can be drafted to a team looking for a rotational player.