PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Broyles Done for Season (ACL)

Leon Sandcastle
11-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Suffered a nasty knee injury against Texas A&M today and it looks serious. The twitter talk is it's a torn ACL.

What does this do to his draft stock? Seemed like a solid bet to be taken Late 1st/Mid 2nd. What now?

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/33119590

cmarq83
11-05-2011, 06:48 PM
That really sucks. I like the guy a lot. He seems like the type who you could plug and play, and he'd make an instant impact. Definitely a deal breaker for Rd. 1 and probably Rd. 2. He'd be a steal in round 3 if somebody is willing to wait a year for him to get his knee healthy again.

Leon Sandcastle
11-05-2011, 06:52 PM
That's what I'm thinking. As a Bills fan I'd be more than willing to take a shot on him in the 3rd Round and put him on the PUP his rookie season.

Feel awful for him but this probably elevates Kendall Wright, Jairus Wright, TY Hilton's stock.

BeerBaron
11-05-2011, 06:56 PM
That does suck. I don't think he would have been a high first rounder due to a major lack of size, but I he probably would have picked somewhere in the 2nd half of the round.

Now...I think someone will take a shot late in the 2nd. Perhaps the Patriots? They have more picks than anyone and have struggled to find an impact receiver on the outside of late.

cmarq83
11-05-2011, 06:59 PM
That does suck. I don't think he would have been a high first rounder due to a major lack of size, but I he probably would have picked somewhere in the 2nd half of the round.

Now...I think someone will take a shot late in the 2nd. Perhaps the Patriots? They have more picks than anyone and have struggled to find an impact receiver on the outside of late.

He's very similar to Deion Branch. He's not the kind of guy we need who can be a big time vertical threat on the outside, but it would be very much like a Belichick move to get this guy in the 2nd particularly with Branch likely gone at the end of the year.

BeerBaron
11-05-2011, 07:02 PM
He's very similar to Deion Branch. He's not the kind of guy we need who can be a big time vertical threat on the outside, but it would be very much like a Belichick move to get this guy in the 2nd particularly with Branch likely gone at the end of the year.

He's pretty much like every receiver other than Randy Moss the Patriots have ever gone for. They like those more-quick-than-fast route runner types. Might not be what they need, but it is what they seem to like.

He'd be a steal in the 2nd, though they could still be smarting after Brandon Tate, in the exact same situation, didn't work out for them.

rawdawg
11-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Not a huge Broyles fan, but I feel bad for the guy. He had a legit shot to become the all time FBS career leader in receiving yards.

I actually like Kendall and Jarius Wright more than Broyles, but he was deserving of a high round pick due to his production and route running ability.

On the positive side, hopefully this gets freshman, Kameel Jackson on the field for the Sooners. My favorite FBS player in the country for personal reasons! :)

RCSooner
11-05-2011, 07:49 PM
This hurts OU's chances of getting back in the national title hunt. Tough break for Ryan.

Jack203
11-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Awful news. That really sucks.

Can anyone think of any wide receiver success stories of guys coming back from torn ACL's?

CashmoneyDrew
11-05-2011, 08:14 PM

Can anyone think of any wide receiver success stories of guys coming back from torn ACL's?

I'm sure Jerry Rice did it at some point.

BeerBaron
11-05-2011, 08:35 PM

http://helmet2helmet.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/wes-welker3.jpg

Took him a year, but he looks as good as ever this year.

Not all that dissimilar of a player either. More quick than fast, good route runner, best out of the slot (in the pros,) undersized...

ElectricEye
11-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Tough, tough break for Broyles. Not the way you want to see a guy end their college career.

I was never a big Ryan Broyles as a first round guy, but I would totally jump all over that for the Patriots anywhere after the second round. Perfect scheme fit for us. Not what we need, but he would certainly produce in our system.

holt_bruce81
11-05-2011, 11:28 PM
I don't see a team wasting a 3rd round pick on a guy that can't contribute for a year.

jth1331
11-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Broyles never was going to be that first round pick, maybe late 1st at best. But definitely a solid 2nd IMO. Great hands, great route runner and great quickness. Plus, no character issues with him!
He was crying on the sidelines when the trainers told him he tore his ACL. Guy is a truly great player, and person.
I think whoever drafts him will have a great asset to their team with him on board. Absolutely deadly in the slot.
I think he'll get docked a few rounds personally though, and will be an absolute steal in round 4 to some team willing to take the chance.

ElectricEye
11-05-2011, 11:35 PM
I don't see a team wasting a 3rd round pick on a guy that can't contribute for a year.

If he gets the surgery this week, it's not unprecedented for a guy to recover in half a year, which would put him on a timetable to be ready for the start of next season. 10 months is a more realistic figure, which still puts him healed up in time for the start of next season. How effective he would be with limited participation in off-season stuff would remain to be seen, but it would be highly unusual for him to miss the entire season next year in addition to this one.

holt_bruce81
11-05-2011, 11:41 PM
If he gets the surgery this week, it's not unprecedented for a guy to recover in half a year, which would put him on a timetable to be ready for the start of next season. 10 months is a more realistic figure, which still puts him healed up in time for the start of next season. How effective he would be with limited participation in off-season stuff would remain to be seen, but it would be highly unusual for him to miss the entire season next year in addition to this one.

Eh, I don't know. Mark Clayton tore his ACL on October 10th of last year and he still hasn't been cleared by doctors to play. Donnie Avery tore his ACL in preseason last year and this year he was out there for preseason but his 4.3 speed was more 4.6 speed and he looked BAD.

10 Months is best case scenario IMO. But I'm rooting for him, seems like a good dude.

FUNBUNCHER
11-06-2011, 01:21 AM
If Broyles can't work out before the draft and I'm doubting he'll be fully healed, I don't see a team spending a high pick on him hoping he comes back 100%.

If he's still damaged goods in April, he may not even be drafted and have to prove he's healthy for some team as an UDFA.

On top of all that, there are still questions about his straight line speed and if he's really no more than a #2/slot WR in the pros.

Ryan Broyles is just a piece of good offense, he's not the money guy.
Sucks for him no doubt, but he's going to have to prove he's healthy and running at full strength before an NFL team takes a chance on him.

Jack203
11-06-2011, 08:09 AM
http://helmet2helmet.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/wes-welker3.jpg

Took him a year, but he looks as good as ever this year.

Not all that dissimilar of a player either. More quick than fast, good route runner, best out of the slot (in the pros,) undersized...

Good one. Thanks.

chensisi
11-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the nice article. It is very useful.

__________________________________________________ _______________
I live my life in colour and see in soundMake sure you are heard!
Diablo 3 items (http://www.mydiablo3items.com/)Buy Diablo 3 Items (http://www.myd3item.com/)Diablo 3 News (http://www.myd3item.com/Diablo-3-news/)

HorusKing
11-10-2011, 04:36 AM
I absolutely love Ryan Broyles and I hope he makes it back all the way before the combine so he can show his blazing speed and great route running ability. Carolina would be a great fit and the texans as well hopefully the kid won't fall to far.

georgiafan
11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Broyles doesnt do anything for me a prospect just seems like a dime a dozen WR who put up good stats bc the offense.