PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Bush finally turning the corner?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Two straight games that Bush has had a nice stat line. Is he finally playing well?

niel89
11-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Good to see him actually looking like a RB, but I need more than 2 games to prove that a guy has turned the corner.

Halsey
11-06-2011, 03:30 PM
This question always seems to get asked when Bush has one of the 2 or 3 good games he has every year. Let's see him be consistently good for a while.

Breed
11-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Two straight games that Bush has had a nice stat line. Is he finally playing well?
Was this thread worthy or are you to good to post in my Weekly discussion thread?

Saints-Tigers
11-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Looks better. He had 2 90+ yard games as a Saint, and now he has 2 in the last 2 weeks. Really, after week 3, he's been producing very well.

Funny what consistent carries and normal run plays can do. Even on a bad Dolphins team, it's easier to get in rhythm than it is on the Saints... hell, look at our running woes so far this season.

He could very easily get an injury soon and take two steps back again, which seems to happen more often than not, but I think that's less of a worry now that he isn't returning punts.

We'll see?

Caulibflower
11-06-2011, 06:55 PM
I was just talking to a couple buddies about Bush. Seems like now that a team's actually playing him like a running back... he's kinda producing like one. With New Orleans, they always tried to use him like a gadget player because they had so many other weapons, but Miami doesn't have nearly the options, so he's in more of a featured role. I mean, it actually seems kind of bizarre to me that he's looking better on a waaaaay worse team. But hey, that's just how it goes sometimes. Good for him if he's found a place where he can do his thing.

shylo3716
11-06-2011, 07:58 PM
I would at least like for him to be consistent in his play before we can say, hey he is coming along like he should.

dolphinfan2k5
11-06-2011, 11:02 PM
He had a 38 yarder get called back on a penalty today as well. He's looking good, but I still wish we'd get him more involved in the passing game.

Flyboy
11-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm happy for him... hope he succeeds in Miami. I'm SO glad we have Darren Sproles over him, however.

Da-Phins
11-07-2011, 09:35 AM
I would also credit the OL for the recent success of Bush. Seems like they have been clicking and playing better over the past few weeks or so. Other then that though Bush has had an ok season so far. I like what I saw yesterday by how the coaches was using him. He will no doubt find some success that way.

CC.SD
11-07-2011, 12:47 PM
It's probably worth pointing out that this year is the closest he's come to having a legit 'franchise back' situation come together for him, better numbers were always expected. Always happy to see Reggie have success, they probably could be very well served a running-based fullback to combo with him.

Saints-Tigers
11-07-2011, 12:54 PM
I think some people just assume that because a guy doesn't thrive as a gadget player, he can't thrive getting the bulk of the carries... and it isn't really true, sometimes players establish rhythm better with more, and some guys can do great on sporadic touches.

Reggie never really worked as a gadget runningback, he always had his best when they just stopped overthinking it, and just ran him like a runningback....

Though the Dolphins could do a lot better if they watched how the Saints used him in the passing game, but maybe they just want to save his body... I dunno.

PoopSandwich
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Just wait until he gets hurt in a week goes out for the year then comes back next year looks like trash for a few games then plays well and gets hurt again.

Saints-Tigers
11-07-2011, 02:00 PM
^Lmao, this guy has been following pretty closely. Sucks for Reggie.

I want to replace REggie with Sproles now with my complaints..... get Darren more carries, dude is doing WORK. 4 20+ yard carries on 49 attempts.

Punisher
11-07-2011, 02:06 PM
I know it's the NFL but Reggie is looking slower and slower by every year. Of course he still has speed to burn, but USC Reggie was so much quicker than the Reggie now a days.

soybean
12-18-2011, 02:39 PM
3rd straight 100 yard game.

Doesn't this KIND of validate the fact that he would have turned out a lot better if he wasnt drafted by the Saints?

Im not saying he would be at Peterson's level or CJesque but I think his stat line would have been much better had he gone to a team that relied on the run game more than a gimmicky pass heavy offense.

TheBoyWonder22
12-18-2011, 03:10 PM

Doesn't this KIND of validate the fact that he would have turned out a lot better if he wasnt drafted by the Saints?

Im not saying he would be at Peterson's level or CJesque but I think his stat line would have been much better had he gone to a team that relied on the run game more than a gimmicky pass heavy offense.It scares me to think what he could have achieved in Gary Kubiak's offense.

Flyboy
12-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Im not saying he would be at Peterson's level or CJesque but I think his stat line would have been much better had he gone to a team that relied on the run game more than a gimmicky pass heavy offense.

Seriously? As one of Bush's biggest supporters when he was in NO, the addition and production of Darren Sproles negates this post incredibly.

Saints-Tigers
12-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Seriously? As one of Bush's biggest supporters when he was in NO, the addition and production of Darren Sproles negates this post incredibly.

How? The Dolphins are much less talented as a team, and they're getting a ton of production out of Reggie running the ball that we couldn't. Sproles could probably be doing a lot better with more carries too. Sometimes we split the carries to our own detriment.

Everyone wanted to pretend that because Brees was here, Bush should be getting more yards because the passing game opens things up. but you know what's the best thing that has happened to Bush? Consistent carries.

M.O.T.H.
12-18-2011, 03:23 PM
meh...it is true that he didnt really get the carries or the full support as a lead back there, though. Not that he showed he could handle such a thing, either.

But in any case, it's nice to see him surpassing 1,000 yards on the ground this year on 200+ carries. Or at least, he will within the next game.

Saints-Tigers
12-18-2011, 03:25 PM
He was hurt a lot, and they didn't want to add onto that with more carries I guess. He was also hurt on special teams and reverses and gimmick plays though, and Miami said eff that, and just hands him the ball.

I'd like to see them get a legit QB and coach though, I want to see what he can do from a yards from scrimmage standpoint with a gameplan built around him.

shylo3716
12-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Why is he so determined at the end of the season to pad stats? He should have been doing this all along.

BuddyCHRIST
12-18-2011, 04:14 PM
He's definitely playing better but its because he's finally adjusting his style and running downhill.

To say his lack of success had anything to do with NO is a complete falsehood. Your completely ignoring how injury prone and fumble prone he was in New Orleans.

And Darren Sproles success in NO really shows how much of a bust Bush was. Bush should have atleast been able to do what Sproles is doing. He was actually in the perfect situation, he got to play in a dome on an explosive offense where defenses couldn't key on him and he could be used in a variety of ways. But he just didn't understand breaking tackles or running forwards.

Saints-Tigers
12-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Reggie Bush started today with 6 carries for 9 yards and a fumble. That would have been the end of his day for New Orleans most likely, and look how strong he finished.

Reggie is running the same as he's been running for hte past few years, but when we said he was running better, everyone said we were making excuses. He didn't morph this offseason.

J-Mike88
12-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Wait, I was told by many folks that Reggie was a bust.

The fact is, he wasn't as great as the expectations were, not even close. But he was still good, and that's why Miami wanted him.

soybean
12-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Let's not act like Sproles is putting up all world numbers or anything. Good stats but he's in the same situation as bush, being used primarily as a weapon more than a consistent runner.

Not only that but they spread around the carries too much.

wogitalia
12-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Let's not act like Sproles is putting up all world numbers or anything. Good stats but he's in the same situation as bush, being used primarily as a weapon more than a consistent runner.

Yeah I kind of was thinking this as well, it's not like Sproles has really done anything special, in fact his numbers are pretty damn similar to Bush's first couple of seasons before the injuries really took over and derailed him.

If anything Sproles is showing this year that the role that Bush played was limiting from an overall and stat perspective but did allow them both to make plays. Bush had some nice plays for the Saints, he just couldn't get any kind of consistency going.

dolphinfan2k5
12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
He's definitely playing better but its because he's finally adjusting his style and running downhill.

To say his lack of success had anything to do with NO is a complete falsehood. Your completely ignoring how injury prone and fumble prone he was in New Orleans.

And Darren Sproles success in NO really shows how much of a bust Bush was. Bush should have atleast been able to do what Sproles is doing. He was actually in the perfect situation, he got to play in a dome on an explosive offense where defenses couldn't key on him and he could be used in a variety of ways. But he just didn't understand breaking tackles or running forwards.

And you are ignoring that he got hurt on punt returns and that turf probably played a part of him getting hurt. He's said himself how much better he likes playing on natural grass, and how much better his body feels because of it. It's a combination of him learning how to better succeed (crazy how some times players develop in the NFL), and the situation he's in.

Brown Leader
12-18-2011, 06:56 PM
..and let's not forget Brian Daboll.

FUNBUNCHER
12-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Late bloomer.
The only thing that will hold Reggie Bush back in Miami are injuries.

ImBrotherCain
12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
It scares me to think what he could have achieved in Gary Kubiak's offense.

That is a scary thought.

soybean
12-18-2011, 07:41 PM
btw, I don't know if you guys all saw it but he had a pretty cool spin move he did, for 28 yards.

JHL6719
12-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Dude has been running hard down there for Miami. Brings a lot of positive energy and explosiveness to that team.

Iamcanadian
12-18-2011, 09:23 PM
New Orleans basically used Bush to open space for their receiving corps, they never used him as the focal point of their offense because they preferred Brees throwing the ball down field. Sproles was a great sining by NO, he filled Bush's role more than adequately and Brees hasn't lost a step with him in their backfield.
In Miami, he is the focal point and he is healthy and together we can all see the results.

soybean
12-20-2011, 05:30 PM
So I was looking at the numbers and Bush is currently 12th in the league in rushing yards with 973. Matt Forte has 24 more yards than him but 9 more attempts. MJD has ~400 yards more than him but 100 more attempts. Lesean McCoy has ~300 more yards than bush with 60 more attempts.

He's quietly having a top ten rb season. His numbers are comparable this season to Fred Jackson and AP. And few primary RBs have had better seasons than him. ie: Demarco Murray

vintage Bush
http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d8252a825/RB-Bush-28-yd-run

excuse my fanboyism over one of my favorite all time college players. even though he ****** us with those sanctions

Saints-Tigers
12-20-2011, 05:37 PM
He's 12th in rushing, and the only person in the top 15 with 5 yards per carry or more.

DraftSavant
12-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah I kind of was thinking this as well, it's not like Sproles has really done anything special, in fact his numbers are pretty damn similar to Bush's first couple of seasons before the injuries really took over and derailed him.

If anything Sproles is showing this year that the role that Bush played was limiting from an overall and stat perspective but did allow them both to make plays. Bush had some nice plays for the Saints, he just couldn't get any kind of consistency going.

Sproles has 13 plays of 20+ yards from scrimmage (not counting returns) this year, Bush has had 10.

Sproles IMO is clearly the better player for that role. But Saints-Tigers has been proven correct in his assertion (over many years) that Bush was never a true "satellite" player in the first place. He showed flashes of learning to press the hole and manipulate second and third level defenders late in his NO career (just couldn't stay healthy), so he really just needed carries in a more traditional offense and some good luck with health.

Saints-Tigers
12-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Sproles is definitely filling the role better. His receiving numbers(catches and YPC) are right there with Reggie's as the dump off guy early on, but his YPC is ridiculous.

DraftSavant
12-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Reggie's also been straight balling since Kim K got divcorced.

Coincidence? I think not.

D-Unit
12-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Dare I say.... He looks like Marshall Faulk?

DraftSavant
12-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Dare I say.... He looks like Marshall Faulk?

There have definitely been flashes of that this year. I'd like to see how long it holds up, and how he does if Miami can get some more speed and a real QB on offense.

Saints-Tigers
12-20-2011, 06:40 PM
I think he needs to be thrown the ball downfield more. Something they don't do, and the Saints never did. Even with Sproles now, it's all in the backfield, or right at the line, which works great, but let him use his speed/size/athleticism as a pure wideout from time to time, really mix things up.

Reggie has nice hands, but one thing that really made him special as a prospect was how natural he looked as a wideout.

NotRickJames
12-20-2011, 10:45 PM
I hate Reggie Bush

dolphinfan2k5
12-20-2011, 10:47 PM
I hate Reggie Bush

You jelly bro?

SeanTaylorRIP
12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Reggie's also been straight balling since Kim K got divcorced.

Coincidence? I think not.

I guess now we can expect Kris Humphries to be NBA mvp

mellojello
12-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Reggie looks great. Miami has been one of my favorite teams to watch all season, mostly because I know they're not nearly as bad as people thought.

Vox Populi
12-22-2011, 03:26 PM
I think he needs to be thrown the ball downfield more. Something they don't do, and the Saints never did. Even with Sproles now, it's all in the backfield, or right at the line, which works great, but let him use his speed/size/athleticism as a pure wideout from time to time, really mix things up.

Reggie has nice hands, but one thing that really made him special as a prospect was how natural he looked as a wideout.

The Bills did this a lot early in the season with Spiller and Fred Jackson when they were both healthy after the Bills got hit with a few injuries to their wide receivers. It actually worked really well because they could get defenses in their base 4-3 or 3-4 packages and then spread out 5-wide when the defense assumed they were going to a split or single-back set and manipulate them that way.

They're probably the only team I've seen do it often and have it work often. I think the Raiders could pull it off very well with McFadden and Reese both being capable of playing as quality wide receivers for any team in the league if they wanted to switch positions.

Caulibflower
09-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Well... Nobody look now, but Reggie Bush is starting to work his name into Miami's record books.

brat316
09-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Well... Nobody look now, but Reggie Bush is starting to work his name into Miami's record books.

No way? Are their record books that bad?

Who is their franchise leading rusher?

Grizzlegom
09-16-2012, 03:39 PM

What records are you talking about?

Caulibflower
09-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Saw something on the ticker about him setting a Dolphins record for most consecutive games with 100+ yards from scrimmage.

Eazy Picks
09-17-2012, 02:08 PM
that was some sorry defense by the raiders, but give reggie credit he was running great. it wasnt just the two long ones either, he was churning out consistent gains every time they gave him the ball in the 2nd half.

Grizzlegom
09-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Saw something on the ticker about him setting a Dolphins record for most consecutive games with 100+ yards from scrimmage.

Ah okay, that makes sense. Ricky Williams is the only consistent/good RB in Miami's history honestly. Larry Csonka is the all-time leading rusher but he always had someone he shared carries with (Mercury Morris and Jim Kiick) so although they all had relatively long Phins careers, they weren't consistently spouting off 100 yard games.

MetSox17
09-17-2012, 02:23 PM
My fantasy football team would like to thank Reggie Bush wholeheartedly for his 31 point performance this week.

BigBanger
09-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Is Reggie Bush turning into a top 5 RB these days? I'm happy for him. One of the greatest college players I have ever seen. Probably the best.

MetSox17
09-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Is Reggie Bush turning into a top 5 RB these days? I'm happy for him. One of the greatest college players I have ever seen. Probably the best.

Vince Young >>>> Reggie Bush.

K Train
09-17-2012, 07:41 PM
i was real high on reggie last year going to the dolphins, drafted him pretty high in fantasy and he saved my team late in the year. glad to see he appears to have gotten better, especially considering how horrible the dolphins looked in preseason/hard knocks which really didnt show much reggie

San Diego Chicken
09-17-2012, 07:55 PM
He's a free agent next year, in good health and without much tread on his tires he should get yet another huge deal. Would be interesting to see where he goes and how much he gets if he hits the open market.

soybean
09-18-2012, 01:51 AM
I hope the Jets pick him up. Shon Greene sucks but he'd make a nice compliment to Reggie.

We need some offensive playmakers in the worst way.

Da-Phins
09-18-2012, 12:24 PM
NO STAY AWAY FROM REGGIE!!!!

Sadly, he's the only playmaker on offense we have. Dolphins would be stupid to let him walk in FA but knowing Ireland, they will prob try to low ball him and let him do just that.

LonghornsLegend
09-18-2012, 01:53 PM
At this rate, they have got to re-sign him right? Then again, the problem is he will be hurt before week 8.

Caulibflower
09-20-2012, 03:02 PM
I just realized something. He's going to play himself out of his Miami contract this year, and they're going to let him walk because they've got Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller. Pete Carroll has to be fantasizing about putting him in the same backfield as Marshawn Lynch.

TimD
09-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I just realized something. He's going to play himself out of his Miami contract this year, and they're going to let him walk because they've got Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller. Pete Carroll has to be fantasizing about putting him in the same backfield as Marshawn Lynch.

Oh wow. That'd be a wild ground attack

soybean
09-20-2012, 03:13 PM

he's going to command a lot of money, why would you waste all that money on a second rb?

K Train
09-20-2012, 03:29 PM
ive fantasized about the steelers trading with the saints for reggie.

i would think hes going to command a big pay day though, he was making top dollar #2 overall money (6 years 62 million with 25+ guaranteed) and pretty sure hes taken a pay cut once he got traded.

Caulibflower
09-20-2012, 03:30 PM
he's going to command a lot of money, why would you waste all that money on a second rb?

Because he's Reggie Bush?

It's Pete Carroll we're talking about, here. He'd do it just like he did with Bush and LenDale White at USC. We haven't had anyone emerge out of our wideout group yet, so there'd be plenty of opportunities to work him into the passing game as well as the running game. With Russell Wilson developing, it gives him an outlet and also diversifies the offense in the meantime. Think with picks like Bruce Irvin you see they're willing to make moves for specialist players if they think it adds a certain dimension to the team that they want.

Saints-Tigers
09-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Reggie presses too hard and hasn't been as successful when forced to split carries.

He's had a taste of being the man. I can't see him heading to a tandem backfield after how well he's been playing in Miami.

Halsey
09-20-2012, 05:40 PM
If he continues to have a great season that means his value will be quite high. Some team may have to pay him a hefty contract. That's called buying high. Fans and media will be excited for the team that signs him, but it will be a risk. Reggie will be 28 next year. Hard to tell how many peak years he has left.

SolidGold
09-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I am happy to see Reggie Bush finally finding some success. He was really fun to watch at USC but became really hyped up and labeled a bust way to early in his career by the media.

Caulibflower
09-20-2012, 07:20 PM
It's definitely a possibility that he wants to be "The Guy" and carry a team, but like it's been mentioned - he is going to be 28 next year. He'd probably be looking at a contract that is going to pay him most of its money over three or four years. It would probably be a lot in the first year or two, on a basis of yearly salary, but as we're seeing even with guys like Matt Forte, who have more-established reputations as NFL running backs, it really just doesn't mean there's going to be a big payout. So if he decides that he's not just going to see how much he can get, but where he has the best chance of winning a Super Bowl, or perhaps cementing his legacy as not just a great running back but a great multi-purpose NFL threat like we all thought he would be coming out of college, why not get back to his old college coach who has a young, talented team starting to make some noise in the Northwest? Seems pretty plausible.

Roddoliver
09-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Reggie Bush is a very good RB. The Saints were the problem.

Bucs_Rule
09-23-2012, 08:16 PM
If he continues to have a great season that means his value will be quite high. Some team may have to pay him a hefty contract. That's called buying high. Fans and media will be excited for the team that signs him, but it will be a risk. Reggie will be 28 next year. Hard to tell how many peak years he has left.

The Dolphins will tag him if that happens. He'll then likely get a 4-5 year deal with the Dolphins worked out.