PDA

View Full Version : Question about one of your players

iloxygenil
03-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Pat Watkins...what is going to happen with him now that you signed Hamlin. I didn't get to watch Dallas much last year, but Watkins was my favorite Safety in last year's draft aside from Michael Huff and I wanted him in ATL real bad. But I was wondering what some of you guys thought. I know he was questioned sometimes, but I know he won the starting job as well. When I did get to see him play he never got beat over the top, he might have allowed too much stuff under to be caught, but he wasn't the one giving up the big plays in the games I saw...what do you guys think? I wonder if Zimmer would make a move to bring him to ATL for a reasonable amount. Is he someone who could end up on the cut list?

mtmock
03-26-2007, 12:46 PM
no...jerry said he loves his potential

bigmac076
03-26-2007, 12:46 PM
he didnt win the starting job really, he really was forced into it due to an injury to Keith Davis. I like him alot, most of the guys in here will tell you that hes a career backup though. I tend to disagree.

thule
03-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Pat Watkins...what is going to happen with him now that you signed Hamlin. I didn't get to watch Dallas much last year, but Watkins was my favorite Safety in last year's draft aside from Michael Huff and I wanted him in ATL real bad. But I was wondering what some of you guys thought. I know he was questioned sometimes, but I know he won the starting job as well. When I did get to see him play he never got beat over the top, he might have allowed too much stuff under to be caught, but he wasn't the one giving up the big plays in the games I saw...what do you guys think? I wonder if Zimmer would make a move to bring him to ATL for a reasonable amount. Is he someone who could end up on the cut list?

Really no chance to be cut. He was very fragile coming out..which I'm sure you knew. He was real lanky...and not that he is really ever gonna be a bulky player but he was todd pinkston skinny. He needed to add about 10-15lbs to really have a nfl ready body. Well we had the Coleman suspension...and Davis starting on every special teams unit...so Watkins was really given a good shot to win the job. Well after an outstanding TC where he outplayed Davis he started. He played good for the most part in the first half of the season. Lead the team in tackles going into week 6. Then was his so-called downfall.

Everyone remembers the Giants game where he was in perfect position to make the play...just didn't go for the ball...I believe he got beat 2 or 3 times in that game deep.

Then the Eagles game was the following week I believe...this was his last start before he was benched. I recall one play...the one where he got beat on a double move. But the thing is...the boys called a 7 man rush...so naturally Watkins jumped the first move thinking pressure would get there...and that McNabb would have to get rid of the ball early...well by jumping the route...he was burned on the move and the Eagles executed to perfection..and hit us for a deep score...that was the end of Pat Watkins for about the next 8 weeks. He was inactive I believe 4 or 5 of the next games...really just working on film was the reports we got. Then he made his way back onto the active roster...played some special teams. By week 15 or 16 he was starting and playing the majority of the time. However he wasn't our deep coverage guy in the nickle...that position was held by Reeves I believe..maybe Jones don't remember off hand.

But bottom line is...he vastly overachieved our expectations last year. He was really supposed to be a situational and special teams guy...but really performed well. Parcells saw him getting burnt...so let him study up and become more ready...don't recall him getting beat once at the end of the year...but also worried that he wasn't our nickel FS...so take it for what its worth...but Dallas really couldn't afford to risk Watkins in year 2 with Davis...so Hamlin was brought in as a insurance policy...someone to QB the defense...show Watkins the ropes...which is why Hamlin only signed a 1 year deal. However if Hamlin shows he is our true center fielder this year..then Watkins could very well be expendable in 2008.

D-Unit
03-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Pat Watkins is a keeper. If he can adjust to the NFL game physically and especially mentally, he should be able to be a reliable depth/rotational player with the ability to spot start. I see him being a solid role player for his career and an exceptional special teams guy.

Macarthur
03-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I actually think he can be a quality starter.

It's not unusual for rookies to get beat. The thing is, I really don't remember anyone getting behind him badly. What I remember is a guy that took improper angles and just wasn't playing the ball. He was in position most times; he just didn't make the play. I think those things can be coached. I think he was just a bit overwhelmed and was thrown out there too quickly. I think the Hamlin deal shows that they want him to learn a year and then hope he takes the job.

iloxygenil
03-26-2007, 09:03 PM
great info, thanks guys. He's my favorite. I really was hoping Atlanta could make a trade for him. But sounds like that isn't going to happen.

KILLERSANTA
03-26-2007, 09:12 PM
He's a pro bowl bench warmer :)

LonghornsLegend
03-26-2007, 09:20 PM
isnt he 6'5 or so? i mean when you have that type of size and length at FS its an advantage, i really want to keep him....i think he's capable of starting, but right now no...i was all for merriweather, and would of still wanted watkins rotated in...

now watkins could still be the centerfielder we want if he steps it up alot, while hamlin and roy do what they do best and increase our run D

iloxygenil
03-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Yeah, 6'5 with a 41+ inch vert...you can't throw a fade route over him. I'm not sure about the other aspects at an NFL level, but he was always a very solid wrap up tackler.

thule
03-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Yeah, 6'5 with a 41+ inch vert...you can't throw a fade route over him. I'm not sure about the other aspects at an NFL level, but he was always a very solid wrap up tackler.

Actually one of the reasons he was benched...was the way he was throwing his body around...not wrapping up tacklers...instead he would throw himself out in vulnerable positions....Parcells was really worried about his tackling technique and said if it didn't get better he wouldn't make it in the NFL.

dc4life
03-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Then the Eagles game was the following week I believe...this was his last start before he was benched. I recall one play...the one where he got beat on a double move. But the thing is...the boys called a 7 man rush...so naturally Watkins jumped the first move thinking pressure would get there...and that McNabb would have to get rid of the ball early...well by jumping the route...he was burned on the move and the Eagles executed to perfection..and hit us for a deep score...that was the end of Pat Watkins for about the next 8 weeks. He was inactive I believe 4 or 5 of the next games...really just working on film was the reports we got. Then he made his way back onto the active roster...played some special teams. By week 15 or 16 he was starting and playing the majority of the time. However he wasn't our deep coverage guy in the nickle...that position was held by Reeves I believe..maybe Jones don't remember off hand.

Yeah against the eagles, I think Henry came on a very rare corner blitz, and Watkins bit on the double move. It was the "perfect play" for that situation.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
03-27-2007, 03:30 AM
I don't think he was that bad this year. I saw more problems with our front seven. I know I've said this already on another post, but a good pass rush would be his best friend.

He outplayed our fourth round pick, I can tell you that.

iloxygenil
03-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Well, thank all of you for your responses =) It's nice to have some good football based conversation =)