PDA

View Full Version : Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

Halsey
11-07-2011, 01:22 PM
So Trent Richardson is really fun to watch and looks the part of a future Pro Bowl RB. I have a few thoughts on him I'd like to discuss:

-His combination of physical tools and skills seem ideal for the NFL.

-I see no signs of maturity issues.

-He doesn't have a ton of wear on his tires.

-He's kind of like the RB version of Julio Jones.

-The recent history of Alabama RBs who played under Saban worries me a bit.

DraftSavant
11-07-2011, 01:27 PM
So Trent Richardson is really fun to watch and looks the part of a future Pro Bowl RB. I have a few thoughts on him I'd like to discuss:

-His combination of physical tools and skills seem ideal for the NFL.

-I see no signs of maturity issues.

-He doesn't have a ton of wear on his tires.-He's kind of like the RB version of Julio Jones.

-The recent history of Alabama RBs who played under Saban worries me a bit.

That's really, really huge. I don't think it's any coincidence that Ricky Williams and Cedric Benson both really struggled with injuries early in their careers. They were run into the ground at Texas.

I love Trent, and I think he's a special prospect. Not Adrian Peterson-level, but he isn't that far behind.

4U2NV
11-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Richardson is a beast, I love the kid. I'm somewhat concerned about the Alabama RB factory but it's not enough for me to push him down the board. He's explosive, he's a factor in the passing game (which is HUGE for a RB these days, look how ineffective guys like Blount and Shonn Greene are when their teams are trailing) he's also an above average pass blocker from what I've seen which means he'll be one of the rare 3-down backs in the league when he makes the jump. That game on Saturday night convinced me 100% that he's the best RB prospect in the last 5 years, to churn out yardage against a very tough and stingy D says a lot. He was the best offensive player on the field for either team. It's easy to run wild on the creampuff teams of the NCAA, but to do that against LSU solidifies it.

Saints-Tigers
11-07-2011, 01:55 PM
More of a mid first rounder to me than a dominant top 5 type...

Not sure I wouldn't rather Lamar Miller at the top of the 2nd, if he slipped there.

Punisher
11-07-2011, 02:04 PM
More of a mid first rounder to me than a dominant top 5 type...

Not sure I wouldn't rather Lamar Miller at the top of the 2nd, if he slipped there.

Same. While it's been fun watching a guy who was highly recruited, has muscle like a greek god, and plays for one of the biggest college football program succeed, I still don't see that "Elite" aspect to him. His vision is just above average and Alabama gets alot of success out of Nick Saban's running backs.

I wouldn't want to deny him of eventually being a top back in the league because of the psychical qualities he possesses though, but with the way running backs are valued now I would rather go for a guy like Lamar Miller a little later. This can also be credited to the fact I love Miller's game. :)

RaiderNation
11-07-2011, 03:16 PM
He is a sure fire top 5 prospect this year, and top 10 pick. There's no RB even close thats eligible to Richardson, and I expect his name to be called early. Denver and Seattle seem likely destinations, depending on what they do with their QB situations.

dannyz
11-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I had an argument today with my Friend at school today, he said Richardson would be smarter to stay in school and go higher in the Draft next year, I said he is a top 15 Pick now and RB's nowadays don't go very high plus why would you stay in College and get hit for Free or go Pro and make Millions right now?

bucfan12
11-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Richardson is the best RB prospect to come out since Adrian Peterson that actually warrants a top 10 selection.

He may not be Adrian Peterson, but he's close. The dude is huge and honestly, you need 3-4 guys to bring him down. I see defenders go at his legs and they're like tree trunks that run a 4.5 or less speed.

Very good reciever out of the backfield. Complete RB prosecpt.

BRAVEHEART
11-07-2011, 03:55 PM
He reminds me of a stronger version of Jonathan Stewart coming out of Oregon, but not as fast or agile due to his super bulked up physique. I wouldn't put him in the AD, DMC, or Steven Jackson level of runningback prospects, but he's one of the very few runningbacks that should be picked in the 1st (mid 1st at that).

dannyz
11-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Sorry this is very off topic but I read that Trent Richardson has two kids, Does anyone know if this is True? Thank You.

RCSooner
11-07-2011, 08:07 PM
It's too soon to tell if Richardson will have an impact if he comes out this year. I think he should stay another year and improve his running between the tackles. The LSU game shows he needs to improve as a player.

FUNBUNCHER
11-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Alabama can't pass effectively enough to open up space against a D like LSU.
Also Richardson is running behind IMO the best Oline in college. The only thing Richardson lacks is elite speed, but clearly he does possess excellent game speed.

It will be interesting to see who gets drafted first, Lamar Miller or Richardson??
Miller has elite tools and that 'Canes pedigree, but Richardson just looks built for the pro game.

He reminds me of Ryan Mathews as a pro prospect.

shylo3716
11-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Trent Richardson

http://lh5.ggpht.com/TolipM/R78T1B854pI/AAAAAAAABt8/lSz02s4ug-c/s800/T-90S-001.jpg

JRTPlaya21
11-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Sorry this is very off topic but I read that Trent Richardson has two kids, Does anyone know if this is True? Thank You.

Yes two daughters but rumors are that he wants to get his degree.

CDCB14
11-07-2011, 10:10 PM

I hate to break it to you, but there is a better chance that the sun burns out and hell freezes over before Richardson returns to Alabama for his senior year.

Staying as a RB is blasphemy. No way man. (Unless your DeMarco Murray!)

dannyz
11-07-2011, 11:01 PM

The Only thing I can say is take the Money now because you can always get your Degree later. Why risk Playing in the NFL and Millions of Dollars for something you can get when ever you want? I mean God Forbid he could go back and get hurt to where he can never play again and there goes the NFL and Money. Take the Money and NFL Now, If he really wants his degree he could take classes in the Off season.

thegreatone
11-07-2011, 11:05 PM
The next Steven Jackson.

Iamcanadian
11-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Top 5 pick IMO. The Steven Jackson comparison is pretty solid.

JRTPlaya21
11-07-2011, 11:46 PM
I hate to break it to you, but there is a better chance that the sun burns out and hell freezes over before Richardson returns to Alabama for his senior year.

Staying as a RB is blasphemy. No way man. (Unless your DeMarco Murray!)

Lol I have had Trent declaring in my head this season for years now. Only a fool (Luck, Bradford) would stay.

VUBlacknGold
11-08-2011, 12:49 AM
he reminds me of Marshawn Lynch at cal, but idk why

Complex
11-08-2011, 12:51 AM
he reminds me of Marshawn Lynch at cal, but idk why

The dreads? and there kind of built the same.

Caulibflower
11-08-2011, 03:19 AM
It will be interesting to see who gets drafted first, Lamar Miller or Richardson??

Are you serious? Do you really think some team would prefer Lamar Miller?

FUNBUNCHER
11-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Are you serious? Do you really think some team would prefer Lamar Miller?

One guy is 5'10, @210-215#, tough elusive with 4.3 speed.
Other guy is 5'11, @220-225#, bull strong, powerful, great feet, fast for a big back but won't outrun NFL secondaries.

It's a choice between a runner with a Lesean McCoy/LD skillset versus a guy with Steven Jackson/Brandon Jacobs(in his prime) ability.

I don't like comparing Richardson to AD because Peterson is quicker, faster, more elusive.

Yeah I do think some teams will rate Miller higher than Richardson because of their offensive scheme and Miller's perceived better big play ability.

TheSlinger
11-08-2011, 06:26 AM
I had an argument today with my Friend at school today, he said Richardson would be smarter to stay in school and go higher in the Draft next year, I said he is a top 15 Pick now and RB's nowadays don't go very high plus why would you stay in College and get hit for Free or go Pro and make Millions right now?

Not declaring as a RB where the risk of injury is so high and the shelf-life is so short would be madness.

murdamal86
11-08-2011, 07:20 AM
He reminds me of Ryan Mathews as a pro prospect.

remind me of MOJO to some degree due the lower body build and they seem to run "close to the ground"

jth1331
11-08-2011, 10:37 AM
lol at people saying he's close to Peterson.
He's a decent prospect, but IMO not a top 5/top 10 pick in today's NFL.

Flyboy
11-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Richardson is the best RB prospect to come out since Adrian Peterson that actually warrants a top 10 selection.

Meh. Darren McFadden says "hello".

ElectricEye
11-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure I would take Richardson top 10(or even top 15, but that's personnel preference based on position value), but he's got the set of tools you like to see with a guy you pick in that range. In terms of overall rank, he's got to be in the top 10 in the draft class, but I'm just not sure picking a runningback in the top ten is worth it anymore. Might be in certain offenses/for certain teams, but the way people pass the ball these days and how easy it is to get production from mid rounders at the position really hurts the stock of any runningback.

DraftSavant
11-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Other guy is 5'11, @220-225#, bull strong, powerful, great feet, fast for a big back but won't outrun NFL secondaries.

It's a choice between a runner with a Lesean McCoy/LD skillset versus a guy with Steven Jackson/Brandon Jacobs(in his prime) ability.

I don't like comparing Richardson to AD because Peterson is quicker, faster, more elusive.

Yeah I do think some teams will rate Miller higher than Richardson because of their offensive scheme and Miller's perceived better big play ability.

Not quite Ricky/Edge, but a very similar debate.

Also, with the new rookie salary structure, I wonder if positions with traditionally low value in round 1 (RB, interior OL, safety) will start to go higher now since they won't enter the league as the highest paid player at their position anymore. Could see more teams going to true BAP.

A Perfect Score
11-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I think the John Stewart comparisons are pretty solid. Both are built like tanks with surprising top ends speed, something that has the utmost value at the NFL level (It's what separates an Adrian Peterson from a Ryan Mathews or Shonn Green, the former of which I hated as a prospect), and both were effective pass catchers at the college level. Richardson is going to be an absolute animal, and he's a far better prospect then the two most recent top 12 picks at RB, that being Mathews and Knoshown Moreno. I don't see him going Top 5 though...maybe Top 10.

KW280
11-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I think the John Stewart comparisons are pretty solid. Both are built like tanks with surprising top ends speed, something that has the utmost value at the NFL level (It's what separates an Adrian Peterson from a Ryan Mathews or Shonn Green, the former of which I hated as a prospect), and both were effective pass catchers at the college level. Richardson is going to be an absolute animal, and he's a far better prospect then the two most recent top 12 picks at RB, that being Spiller, Mathews and Knoshown Moreno. I don't see him going Top 5 though...maybe Top 10.

Why oh why did Buffalo pick Spiller at 9..

thegreatone
11-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Why oh why did Buffalo pick Spiller at 9..
I was dumbfounded at the time of the pick, and nothing has changed since.

A Perfect Score
11-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Spiller slipped my mind, thats my bad. Worst thing is I actually liked Spiller a hell of a lot more then Moreno or Mathews. He could have been absolutely dynamite just about anywhere but Buffalo.

Babylon
11-08-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure I would take Richardson top 10(or even top 15, but that's personnel preference based on position value), but he's got the set of tools you like to see with a guy you pick in that range. In terms of overall rank, he's got to be in the top 10 in the draft class, but I'm just not sure picking a runningback in the top ten is worth it anymore. Might be in certain offenses/for certain teams, but the way people pass the ball these days and how easy it is to get production from mid rounders at the position really hurts the stock of any runningback.

Agree. Unless it's Adrian Peterson you dont take one that early, Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams are two off the top of my head that would back that theory up.

I'm high on a Chris Polk out of Washington (surprise, surprise). I think Polk in the second makes more sense than Richardson in the first.

A Perfect Score
11-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Agree. Unless it's Adrian Peterson you dont take one that early, Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams are two off the top of my head that would back that theory up.

I'm high on a Chris Polk out of Washington (surprise, surprise). I think Polk in the second makes more sense than Richardson in the first.

Ricky Williams was far from a disappointment as a Top 5 pick. During his prime, he was arguably the best RB in football and a dominant player. I mean, he had some head issues that prevented him from fully realizing his potential, but even with those issues he's still one of the best RBs I've seen play in the NFL. He didn't exactly have alot of help in Miami, either.

Caulibflower
11-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Not to overrate him by making it seem like I think he has the best of both skillets, but I see Richardson a bit like a combination of LeSean McCoy and Steven Jackson, since you throw those names out there. Not really seeing a Brandon Jacobs comparison;Jacobs is pretty unique. LaMar Miller is pretty easy to compare to Clinton Portis, although I doubt he's as good of a runner. I like both of them, I just think Richardson is a pretty clear step above Miller. Miller profiles as a good, solid running back, but I feel like you've gotta tie the edge to the guy who not only looks like a prototypical running back, but it doing it well in the SEC. So not to dis Miller really, and I've kinda had to say that before... Not sure he belongs in the first round, unless you've got a good team on the back end who really needs a running back. (...Packers? Giants or Patriots? Those are about the only teams I could see picking a running back in the first round, and it would have to be a speed guy like Miller. Steelers might be a darkhorse for him) But Richardson seems like a guy who will give you production even if he's on a bad team, which to me is what separates the running backs; there's running backs who will add that extra piece an offense needs, and there are running backs who can make their teams competitive. For whatever reason, I see Richardson as having the potential to be more of a core player on his team than Miller. That's just my intuition.

Depending where Seattle ends up and which QBs are on the board, the 'Hawks might want to take a look at him. Pete Carroll is dying for a power-running game; he's drafted the linemen, now we need a real #1. I kinda think Marshawn Lynch might excel in more of a 2007-era Marion Barber role. Cleveland would be really interested in a prime running back with all the Peyton Hillis stuff going on. If Owen Marecic can get it figured out, that could be a pretty sick backfield coming at defenses. Depending on how Jamaal Charles heals, they might want to lighten his load to keep him explosive; they were already doing that with Thomas Jones, who's old. Jamaal Charles combined with Trent Richardson would be terrifying. Washington makes sense. The teams I mentioned as landing spots for Miller make sense for Richardson, too, I just don't think there's any way he lasts that long. Sure, running backs have become less valuable recently, but you've still got plenty of teams whose offenses go through they're backs. I think Richardson is a back who can carry an offense.

Babylon
11-08-2011, 03:18 PM
^
I think there is too much of a need at corner and QB to be thinking of taking a Richardson, given where he'll fall in the draft. Seattle has to take Barkely if he's there and stop with the dog and pony show they have going on there at QB

keylime_5
11-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Richardson I think will be in the Mo Drew or Matt Forte class of backs in the NFL, not quite on the Peterson/McFadden level. I think he's worth a top 15 pick, it's just that RBs have lost their value in the NFL. You need a good RB, but they are so easy to find in the middle rounds and don't last as long as any other position.

FUNBUNCHER
11-08-2011, 03:38 PM
How does Richardson compare to Shady McCoy??
He doesn't have Shady's quickness or wheels. Richardson is quick and fast for a big back, not a RB in general.

Just different skillsets IMO, not downgrading Richardson.

A Perfect Score
11-08-2011, 03:44 PM
He doesn't have Shady's quickness or wheels. Richardson is quick and fast for a big back, not a RB in general.

Wheels? Richardson is going to run a hell of a lot faster then Shady did, that much I promise you.

FUNBUNCHER
11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
I've seen these guys play and Richardson simply isn't as fast or quick as McCoy.
I didn't even know there were people thought Richardson was faster than McCoy.

Running a 4.50 flat at the combine and not knowing McCoy's history,( McCoy ran a sub 4.3 at Nike's HS combine in 2004), is really mis-reading his NFL combine 40 time.

Richardson doesn't really look much faster than Mark Ingram at Alabama, and if you think RIchardson is faster in pads than McCoy then he's a lock top 10 pick and a better pro prospect than AD.

Caulibflower
11-08-2011, 05:59 PM

I don't really see him as a "big back." Richardson is definitely the bigger of the two, but it's not such a huge difference as to say their skillets should be evaluate differently. I'm sure everyone here remembers that McCoy's combine was kind of underwhelming. Don't really care what a Nike camp said his time was in high school; when he lined up next to the other running backs, he didn't stand out with his straight speed. I think that's an area they're similar; I don't think Richardson is going to be the fastest running back at the combine, but he's plenty fast on the field. The similarities I see are in running style. They're both pretty good at seeing holes and accelerating through them. Richardson is a little more physical, both as a matter of playing style and what he's able to do with that bigger body. They both have good balance and make plays where other backs might've fallen down. They've got that sense of where the defense is soft and have the instinct to attack it. I say he's got that part of McCoy in him, but I see him being a more physical runner and more valuable to his team, a la Steven Jackson. He might never beast like Jackson can when he's really going, but he'l be able to wear out a defense in ways McCoy can't. I really think McCoy is more a product of Philly's system, and how many other guys defenses have to cover. He's really good, don't get me wrong, but I definitely don't think he's got skills that are super rare. I mean, even if he puts up 1500 rushing yards and 18 TDs with another 300 receiving, or whatever, I'm saying that's a great season, but if I'm grading him he's like an B+ running back to me. Steven Jackson would be an A. Put him on a good team... He'd be something else. So I'm saying I see Richardson having some attributes of both of them, but not "being like" either of them specifically; I'l easily grant all kinds of differences.

patriots21
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM
What teams do we think are the favorites to grab him? Broncos, Rams, Seahawks, Redskins, Cardinals? Who would use his talent best and worst?

Flyboy
11-08-2011, 06:45 PM
What teams do we think are the favorites to grab him? Broncos, Rams, Seahawks, Redskins, Cardinals? Who would use his talent best and worst?

I would honestly probably say the Browns. Hillis isn't going to be there after the season if the reports are accurate, but they only thing is the Browns have A LOT of holes they could address. RB, WR, QB.. and players on defense. It'll be interesting to see where they go in the draft.

Complex
11-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Lamar Miller is a better runningback now and will be in the pros. If Lamar was a highly touted coming out of HS and Miami was actually great people would be all over Lamar Miller.

Shady and Richardson are not even close to being similar.

JoeJoeBrown
11-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Not quite Ricky/Edge, but a very similar debate.

Also, with the new rookie salary structure, I wonder if positions with traditionally low value in round 1 (RB, interior OL, safety) will start to go higher now since they won't enter the league as the highest paid player at their position anymore. Could see more teams going to true BAP.

Good thought wrt BAP.

May see a bit of that but I think positions where talent is scarce will still be the most valued in the draft. Supply vs demand.

draftguru151
11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Lamar Miller is a better runningback now and will be in the pros. If Lamar was a highly touted coming out of HS and Miami was actually great people would be all over Lamar Miller.

Shady and Richardson are not even close to being similar.

Lamar isn't better, especially not the past month. He's constantly banged up and longevity is gonna be a big question for him. Even if there weren't injury issues Trent is a better prospect. Lamar is a great back and can be an elite guy, but he isn't there yet (even disregarding the injury stuff), Trent is there already.

descendency
11-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I see him just about every weekend. He's the best RB prospect to come out in a few years.

If he's put behind a solid OL in a 1 cut offense, he'll embarrass people on an NFL level. He almost had 100 yards against LSU, despite the fact that they were keying on him in the backfield. Great blocker. Very good receiver.

I have no problem with him going top 10.

If he's available when NE is picking, I don't care if we just picked 50 running backs, I'd take this guy. He's 100% a perfect fit for their offense.

dannyz
11-08-2011, 11:42 PM
I see him just about every weekend. He's the best RB prospect to come out in a few years.

If he's put behind a solid OL in a 1 cut offense, he'll embarrass people on an NFL level. He almost had 100 yards against LSU, despite the fact that they were keying on him in the backfield. Great blocker. Very good receiver.

I have no problem with him going top 10.

If he's available when NE is picking, I don't care if we just picked 50 running backs, I'd take this guy. He's 100% a perfect fit for their offense.

How? do you talk to him? Ask him if hes going to Declare for the NFL Draft.

I really like the bigger MJD Comparison.

descendency
11-09-2011, 02:15 AM
How?

TV, bro. I've seen almost every Bama game the last two years, save the ones against the pointless games like... Duke or one of the community colleges they warm up against.

FootballGod
11-09-2011, 08:31 AM
He reminds me of a stronger version of Jonathan Stewart coming out of Oregon, but not as fast or agile due to his super bulked up physique. I wouldn't put him in the AD, DMC, or Steven Jackson level of runningback prospects, but he's one of the very few runningbacks that should be picked in the 1st (mid 1st at that).

That's funny because I actually see him as a Steven Jackson clone. They both have the super bulked up frame and running style. They have receiving ability and are just shifty enough to avoid the big hits. I would project Richardson's career to mimic Jackson's completely.

Saints-Tigers
11-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Don't think he's as good a receiver as Jackson. Good hands on the screen, not super catching the ball over his shoulder like a wideout.

whatadai
11-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Don't think he's as good a receiver as Jackson. Good hands on the screen, not super catching the ball over his shoulder like a wideout.

I think he's better at it than he looks...his QB just sucks at ball placement.

BRAVEHEART
11-09-2011, 10:24 PM
That's funny because I actually see him as a Steven Jackson clone. They both have the super bulked up frame and running style. They have receiving ability and are just shifty enough to avoid the big hits. I would project Richardson's career to mimic Jackson's completely.

Not in my eyes. S-JAX is 6-2, so his 230 pounds are spread out better (giving him better agility and top end speed due to his longer/legs stride), while Trent will be lucky to measure at 5-11 at the combine, and is one of the bulkiest runningbacks I've ever seen. J-stew compares a lil better, but even he wasn't as rocked up like Trent, and is a more fluid runner.

RaiderNation
03-08-2012, 04:31 AM
Updating Trent's thread, here some interesting stuff I found on him possibly going to Cleveland.

Looking back at some draft history, Mike Holmgren drafted former Alabama RB Shaun Alexander in the 1st round in 2000 and now with Peyton Hillis likely gone I think this is a perfect match. Holmgren would love to get RG3, but I think the Browns end up keeping their picks and throwing a ton of money at Matt Flynn in F/A. If that happens expect Trent Richardson to be a Brown and they likely target Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, Mike Adams or Whitney Mercilus.

Jimmy
03-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Updating Trent's thread, here some interesting stuff I found on him possibly going to Cleveland.

Looking back at some draft history, Mike Holmgren drafted former Alabama RB Shaun Alexander in the 1st round in 2000 and now with Peyton Hillis likely gone I think this is a perfect match. Holmgren would love to get RG3, but I think the Browns end up keeping their picks and throwing a ton of money at Matt Flynn in F/A. If that happens expect Trent Richardson to be a Brown and they likely target Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, Mike Adams or Whitney Mercilus.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they sat for TR, that's for sure. The times are changing though, the league is becoming pass first more than it ever has. If this was 2000, I get the feeling TR would be a 100% lock to go here, or even earlier. The thing about the Browns, though, is they really can't afford to throw that much with their current QB situation. Having a reliable back over these next 3-5 years will be extremely important. You either need the guy to take the pressure of Colt McCoy, or any QB drafted this year and his future development. I think we can agree that Hillis isn't that guy.

bigbuc
03-10-2012, 12:41 AM
With the Rams moving back to 6 and the Browns missing out on RG3 it opens up two more spots in the top 10 the he could go.

onejayhawk
03-10-2012, 04:18 PM
It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they sat for TR, that's for sure. The times are changing though, the league is becoming pass first more than it ever has. If this was 2000, I get the feeling TR would be a 100% lock to go here, or even earlier. The thing about the Browns, though, is they really can't afford to throw that much with their current QB situation. Having a reliable back over these next 3-5 years will be extremely important. You either need the guy to take the pressure of Colt McCoy, or any QB drafted this year and his future development. I think we can agree that Hillis isn't that guy.

There are few scenarios where TR goes in the top 10 except to TB. They could afford to trade back if they dont want Tannehill. Miami might bite. Dont go later, because there are few scenarios where he gets past KC.
With the Rams moving back to 6 and the Browns missing out on RG3 it opens up two more spots in the top 10 the he could go.

This is one of the scenarios where they could stub their toe.

J

Iamcanadian
03-10-2012, 10:11 PM
IMO, it is a very tough pick for any team drafting in the top 10 and I won't be shocked if he lasts till 11/12 or even into the teens. In a league where running the ball is an afterthought, it is really hard to justify picking him too high.

I would look at teams totally committed to running the ball as a priority like Cleveland(Holmgren had that mentality), Kansas City(Cassels isn't exactly a world beater), Arizona( could certainly use an upgrade over off injured Wells), NY Jets(A perfect fit in Ryan's offense) or Cincinnati( another team that likes to run first). Perhaps Tampa Bay if Blount is lost.

It will be real interesting to see how long he lasts.

YoJoeBucsFan
03-11-2012, 07:24 AM
I see him in some mocks as being taken by the Bucs. He just doesn't strike me as an NFL playmaker.

Matthew Jones
03-11-2012, 11:13 AM
I would argue that Richardson is the safest player in the entire draft. Can anyone see this guy failing? Andrew Luck is close, but if the Colts fail to give him anything to work with I could see him struggling. I can't imagine Trent ending up as anything less than an elite back.

SuperPacker
03-11-2012, 11:21 AM
I would argue that Richardson is the safest player in the entire draft. Can anyone see this guy failing? Andrew Luck is close, but if the Colts fail to give him anything to work with I could see him struggling. I can't imagine Trent ending up as anything less than an elite back.

How far of a fall? I could definitely see an scenario where he falls out of the top 10.

1. Luck
2. Griffin
3. Kalil
4. Blackmon/Claiborne
5. Claiborne/Blackmon
6. Floyd (Maybe Trent)
7. Wright/Hill/Reiff
8. Coples (Maybe Trent)
9. Cox
10. Perry/Ingram

Matthew Jones
03-11-2012, 11:28 AM
How far of a fall? I could definitely see an scenario where he falls out of the top 10.

1. Luck
2. Griffin
3. Kalil
4. Blackmon/Claiborne
5. Claiborne/Blackmon
6. Floyd (Maybe Trent)
7. Wright/Hill/Reiff
8. Coples (Maybe Trent)
9. Cox
10. Perry/Ingram

Cleveland (4/22), Tampa Bay (5), St. Louis (6), Kansas City (11), New York Jets (16), Cincinnati (17/21), Denver (25) are the potential landing spots for Richardson. He could certainly slip out of the top ten but I think teams would regret it. Running back isn't a premier position but he looks like a complete back.The opportunity to add a Steven Jackson/Ray Rice level talent doesn't present itself often.

SuperPacker
03-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Cleveland (4/22), Tampa Bay (5), St. Louis (6), Kansas City (11), New York Jets (16), Cincinnati (17/21), Denver (25) are the potential landing spots for Richardson. He could certainly slip out of the top ten but I think teams would regret it. Running back isn't a premier position but he looks like a complete back.The opportunity to add a Steven Jackson/Ray Rice level talent doesn't present itself often.

Yeah, i dont see him falling past the Jets.

bucfan12
03-11-2012, 12:20 PM
I see him in some mocks as being taken by the Bucs. He just doesn't strike me as an NFL playmaker.

Yeah, plus he wasn't healthy enough to perform at his pro day, but still claims he only had "Minor" knee surgery, that's kept him out for little over a month now?

He's going to drop out of the top 10. In my mind, elite RBs aren't that special anymore. I mean, MJD, AP, and CJ@YPC didn't mean crap when it came to playoffs this year.

bucfan12
03-11-2012, 12:22 PM
My opinion: It's better to have a strong RB depth instead of 1 elite guy. If T-Rich is drafted in the top 5-10, what's the value in him splitting carries if he isn't going to be an every down player. Then, if he is an every down player, do you get a 2nd contract out of him? Durability? Shelf Life? RBs are the biggest injury risks in the NFL .

I'd prefer to go with a strong RB depth than 1 main feature back.

SenorGato
03-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Yeah, i dont see him falling past the Jets.

There's pretty much no chance in hell.

Pat Sims 90
03-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeah, plus he wasn't healthy enough to perform at his pro day, but still claims he only had "Minor" knee surgery, that's kept him out for little over a month now?

He's going to drop out of the top 10. In my mind, elite RBs aren't that special anymore. I mean, MJD, AP, and CJ@YPC didn't mean crap when it came to playoffs this year.

All those players pretty much played on ****** teams. Arian Foster and Ray Rice are both elite backs and they made splashes in the Playoffs.

Iamcanadian
03-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Look, he is going to be a great RB, however the reality is that RB's usually don't get 2nd contracts and can be spent after 5 seasons.

The question becomes, do you take a RB knowing full well, that 5 years is the life span, or do you draft another position and possibly get 15 years out of that prospect.

That makes drafting him a huge gamble especially in a league where running the football is an afterthought.

gpngc
03-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Multiple team sources tell the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the Rams believe Alabama RB Trent Richardson is a "special talent," and the club thinks "very highly" of the 2011 Heisman finalist.
Though it was an old regime, the Rams did have Mark Ingram as a top-ten player on their 2011 draft board. "If you're picking the best available player, it could easily be him," said ex-NFL scout Dave Razzano of Richardson and the Rams' No. 6 overall pick. "He's a thoroughbred. And he's more of a home-run threat than (Steven) Jackson." Richardson will work out for NFL teams on March 29. We've heard rumblings that he might run in the 4.3s.
Related: Rams
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Mar 11 - 2:11 PM

He's going 4, 5, or 6. Especially after he runs 4.40ish and puts on a bench press show.

And I keep saying it - there are different ways to win. Just because Brees and Brady and Stafford are breaking records doesn't mean you can't win by running the football well. San Fran, Baltimore did last year.

And TRich is a valuable piece in the passing game anyway.

He's too good of a prospect/too safe to fall.

bucfan12
03-11-2012, 02:03 PM
He's going 4, 5, or 6. Especially after he runs 4.40ish and puts on a bench press show.

And I keep saying it - there are different ways to win. Just because Brees and Brady and Stafford are breaking records doesn't mean you can't win by running the football well. San Fran, Baltimore did last year.

And TRich is a valuable piece in the passing game anyway.

He's too good of a prospect/too safe to fall.

He has to be able to work out to run a 40. He pulled out of the combine and his pro day because of a "Minor" knee surgery he had over a month ago. Not to minor if he's been out this long. Kind of risky to take him in the top 6 don't ya think?

gpngc
03-11-2012, 04:50 PM
He has to be able to work out to run a 40. He pulled out of the combine and his pro day because of a "Minor" knee surgery he had over a month ago. Not to minor if he's been out this long. Kind of risky to take him in the top 6 don't ya think?

No I don't. The knee surgery was so minor that the doctor who performed it said he could play that week.

He's running so 'late' (by your standards - which doesn't matter at all) to be on the safe side. Thus eliminating risk.

The surgery is a complete non-issue.

And if there's ever been a prospect that we don't need to see WORK OUT, it's this guy.

RaiderNation
03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
I can't see Cleveland taking another CB in the top 10 again, and it seems like they really like Kendall Wright as a possible pick at 22. With Hillis likely gone and Hardesty a non factor, I think RB is probably their top need other than QB. Richardson is a perfect fit in the offense, and the type of RB needed to win games in the AFC North. I think Cleveland will do one of these 2 options in the draft

4 Trent Richardson
22 Kendall Wright
Sign Matt Flynn

4 Trent Richardson
22(trade up?)Ryan Tannehill
Sign Robert Meachem/Laurent Robinson

Fred Savage
03-11-2012, 05:00 PM
No I don't. The knee surgery was so minor that the doctor who performed it said he could play that week.

He's running so 'late' (by your standards - which doesn't matter at all) to be on the safe side. Thus eliminating risk.

The surgery is a complete non-issue.

And if there's ever been a prospect that we don't need to see WORK OUT, it's this guy.

Well said.

This guy is a no-brainer Top Ten pick. People who think otherwise are just splitting hairs.

FUNBUNCHER
03-11-2012, 05:25 PM
I trust his game speed and agree I really don't need to see Richardson work out, but I think the estimates of his straight line speed are overrated.

I see a low 4.5 guy, not a 4.4/4.3 type prospect. He's got everything I'd want in a RB, but I don't see breakaway speed.

PoopSandwich
03-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I can't see Cleveland taking another CB in the top 10 again, and it seems like they really like Kendall Wright as a possible pick at 22. With Hillis likely gone and Hardesty a non factor, I think RB is probably their top need other than QB. Richardson is a perfect fit in the offense, and the type of RB needed to win games in the AFC North. I think Cleveland will do one of these 2 options in the draft

4 Trent Richardson
22 Kendall Wright
Sign Matt Flynn

4 Trent Richardson

Hillis isn't gone yet... The FO has said over the past week that they want to bring him back and Hillis said he wants to stay here and would take a discount to stay.

GoRavens
03-11-2012, 06:54 PM
I like Trent Richardson more than I liked Mark Ingram coming into the league.
Richardson is not only the more powerful runner, he's a better athlete than Ingram. (Stamina, Strength, Elusiveness)
He reminds me a lot of Marshawn Lynch

LonghornsLegend
03-11-2012, 07:08 PM

4 Trent Richardson
22 Kendall Wright
Sign Matt Flynn

4 Trent Richardson

This I couldn't agree with more. He just seems perfect for this division and with the way Cleveland has built up there line could be what the doctor ordered for this team. Though I don't know why they would frown upon taking two top 10 CB's. Claiborne & Haden would be a thing of beauty. It may be overkill seeing what their offensive weapons are but it'd be a great pick none the less.

With pick 22, I think it'll ultimately be too far away to trade up for Tannehill. He seems like he's going top 10, or right outside of it. It'll be pretty steep to move from 22 to say, 12, but I guess it depends on their feelings about him. If I'm Cleveland I'd much rather go all in for Flynn, and utilize my picks to the best of my capability to build around him.

Hillis isn't gone yet... The FO has said over the past week that they want to bring him back and Hillis said he wants to stay here and would take a discount to stay.

Well all of his actions up to this point would say the exact opposite though wouldn't they? You guys already offered him a contract, multiple if I'm not mistaken, but he's been rejecting them because he wanted a lot more. Now all of a sudden he wants to take a discount before FA even starts after playing hardball all this time?

Caulibflower
04-03-2012, 12:53 AM
Think it's pretty reasonable to say this is what Richardson will look like in the NFL:

7N0TFPaaMaA

Iamcanadian
04-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Richardson is probably the #2 ranked prospect in the draft after Luck, but his position is a problem but I believe Cleveland will bite at #4 after losing Hillis in FA. They have to have some offense or they remain a joke in the NFL.

JoeJoeBrown
04-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Think it's pretty reasonable to say this is what Richardson will look like in the NFL:

7N0TFPaaMaA

Like watching paint dry?

Babylon
04-03-2012, 12:48 PM

7N0TFPaaMaA

The problem with him going to Cleveland is he'll continue to see 8 guys in the box like he did against LSU. Not much else in that Brown's offense to be afraid of.

JoeJoeBrown
04-03-2012, 01:35 PM
The problem with him going to Cleveland is he'll continue to see 8 guys in the box like he did against LSU. Not much else in that Brown's offense to be afraid of.

Colt McCoy is master of the east west offense. Just ask Greg Davis.

JHL6719
04-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Like watching paint dry?

Hell, even that's better than all the RB's Ohio St. has churned out since Robert Smith.

I've actually seen grass grow between the hashes watching Eddie George in Nashville. No, seriously.

Brown Leader
04-03-2012, 02:10 PM

or in the AFC North, this...

if3tkTHQZyE

JoeJoeBrown
04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Hell, even that's better than all the RB's Ohio St. has churned out since Robert Smith.

I've actually seen grass grow between the hashes watching Eddie George in Nashville. No, seriously.

I'm glad to see that you came out for a nice day of trolling.

The video was extremely boring. Much like it would be if he played for the Browns.

bucfan12
04-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Please Cleveland, continue to pass up on elite prospects :). I'd love it if he came to Tampa and run behind our new line./

RaiderNation
04-03-2012, 07:07 PM
The Browns need to turn around at 22 and get a WR like Wright/Hill as a deep threat for McCoy to at least try and make defense's respect the pass game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cleveland go offense with their first 3 picks.

JHL6719
04-04-2012, 02:59 AM
I'm glad to see that you came out for a nice day of trolling.

The video was extremely boring. Much like it would be if he played for the Browns.

I see an elite prospect making a lot of cuts that other backs can't make. I see a guy who's able to finish runs and gets most of his yards after contact.
Not every run is a highlight, but grinding out the tough yards between the tackles is what a lot of backs can't do.

If there's nothing there, there's nothing there. But he makes more out of what's available on every single play than any other back could've made.

Seriously, all you have to watch is the first 45 seconds of the LSU video there to see him throw an excellent block on a blitz pickup on the play at the 42 second mark.

Richardson is the best at pressing the hole initially and using his vision to bounce it outside, then outrun all the angles LSU's secondary had on the touchdown run at the end.

He'll bring an element of much needed toughness and physicality to whatever offense he ends up playing in. Teammates will feed off of him.

I'd hate to have you picking players for me.

Caulibflower
04-04-2012, 03:56 AM
I see an elite prospect making a lot of cuts that other backs can't make. I see a guy who's able to finish runs and gets most of his yards after contact.
Not every run is a highlight, but grinding out the tough yards between the tackles is what a lot of backs can't do.

If there's nothing there, there's nothing there. But he makes more out of what's available on every single play than any other back could've made.

Seriously, all you have to watch is the first 45 seconds of the LSU video there to see him throw an excellent block on a blitz pickup on the play at the 42 second mark.

Richardson is the best at pressing the whole initially and using his vision to bounce it outside, then outrun all the angles LSU's secondary had on the touchdown run at the end.

He'll bring an element of much needed toughness and physicality to whatever offense he ends up playing in. Teammates will feed off of him.

I'd hate to have you picking players for me.

Not to mention, LSU is probably the closest thing you're going to find to an NFL-caliber defense in college football. He has a good line at Alabama, but you're watching the best of the best right there on both sides, and there's Richardson, taking yards in chunks and throwing guys off of him, and getting across linebackers faces and stopping them short of his quarterback. And having Mark Ingram in front of him is tremendous for his long-term health. He's fresh, primed and ready to go. I definitely think he'd do way more for Cleveland than Tannehill. And who knows, maybe with the pressure off of him, Colt McCoy can get into a groove and start getting the ball out to Greg Little, who's good after the catch, and downfield to Malcolm Floyd.