PDA

View Full Version : My Ideal Draft

woodnick
03-26-2007, 12:51 PM
So i'm new to this site, but have read a lot of it and like what I'm seeing. I'm obsessed with the draft and think that Millen does a pretty decent job at manuevering around the draft but can't evaluate players properly, overly obsessed with USC and Big 12 players. Well anyways enough of my rambling here we go.

I say trade Backus for a mid to late first and then trade Woody for a mid to late third, then With the #2 pick trade down one spot to cleveland for their 2nd, let Cleveland draft Quinn. Then trade down one more spot to Tampa for their 3rd let them draft CJ. That gives us draft picks of:

1st - #4(from Cleveland then Tampa)
1st - #20-25(from Backus)
2nd - #2
2nd - #4(from Cleveland)
3rd - #2
3rd - #4(from Tampa)
3rd - #20-30(from Woody)
4th - #2
5th - #2
5th - #8(from Miami for Joey Harrington)
5th - #17(from St. Louis for James Hall)
5th - #21(from Denver for Dre Bly)

*This doesn't include the compensatory picks that the league hands out, mainly because the league hasn't handed them out yet.

With the #4 pick we pick Joe Thomas. With our second first we trade up along with a third rd (#3) and a fifth rd(#21) to get to #12-17 and Draft Patrick Willis. With 2nd rd #2 we draft Ben Grubbs or Justin Blaylock. With 2nd rd #3 we draft Anthony Spencer. With 3rd rd #2 we draft Daymeion Hughes. With 4th rd #2 and Fifth rd #17 we trade up into late 3rd rd and draft John Wedling. With our two 5th rd picks we draft Matt Tranon and Antwan Barnes. So we netted:

1st - #4 Joe Thomas an instant upgrade over Backus at LT
1st - #12-17 Patrick Willis inside Backer perfect for our cover 2
who just ran a 40 yard dash of 4.37 at 237 lbs.
2nd - #2 Ben Grubbs an athletic smart interior lineman to develop for one year
2nd - #3 Anthony Spencer a pure pash rusher for passing downs
3rd - #2 Daymeion Hughes a playmaker who's stock is dropping due to his slow 40 times, but fits perfectly in the cover 2
3rd - #26 John Wedling an athletic safety for depth and special teams.
5th - #2 Matt Tranon turn him into a TE to stretch the middle
5th - #8 Antwan Banes an athletic OLB for depth and special teams.

I know it's a lot to follow and some things are wishful thinking, but the Lions need players to fit their system and with us signing a starting guard in Mulitalo and a boderline starter in Zach Pillar and drafting Grubbs, we have a healthy competition at guard and young talent and depth through the roster. I would also try to hold onto Big Baby because I think with a little team success he'll buy into Maranelli's system and Shaun Cody is worthless.

DeMonikk1
03-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Why trade Backus now when they would take a large cap hit?? Remember, he got a longterm deal done. And I highly doubt they would get a 1st rounder for him and a 3rd for Woody. And thomas isn't neccessarily an instant upgrade over Backus. If Thomas is drafted , chances are he'll play RT, not guaranteed but if so, why pay a Rt that kind of money? And if you slide Backus over, you're STILL paying a RT LT money. Doesn't make sense. And there are some concerns with Thomas..injury wise and the fact some people see that he has short arms somewhat limiting his explosion into D-lineman.

ironman4579
03-26-2007, 01:24 PM
I also have a concern about Thomas' strength. Well, not so much his strength, as he's much better in pass pro than run blocking. In terms of run blocking he's more of a finess blocker that takes good angles on his blocks, rather than explode off the line and just overwhelm a guy. Not saying I don't like him, and obviously he'll get stronger in the NFL. Just saying that I'm not sure that he's a complete player just yet.

Xiomera
03-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Keep it simple folks.

woodnick
03-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Thomas might be more of a pass blocker, which is why he is a LT and last time I checked Mike Martz throws the ball once in a while, so he fits our system. As for Thomas not being a mauler, neither is Backus and now Backus is struggling against pass rushers. We overpayed Backus, but a cap hit is better than a bad LT. Backus still has a lot of value in the league mainly to zone blocking teams. Woody for a late third might be a lttile of a reach, but if he is in shape and motivated some team will be willing to give up something for him like the Ravens after they get comp. picks which most people expect 1 in both the 3rd and 4th.

Newbs24
03-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Find me a team that thinks Jeff Backus is worth a 3rd round pick and I will find you a moronic GM. He is the worst LT in the NFL. He is way too slow for it. He is worth a 3rd round pick as an OG, maybe. Plus, I think that may be too many picks to acquire for one draft. I thought there was a limit of 10. I could be wrong.

woodnick
03-26-2007, 02:28 PM
There's a limit of 10 in Madden, but I'm pretty sure that is it.

ironman4579
03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Thomas might be more of a pass blocker, which is why he is a LT and last time I checked Mike Martz throws the ball once in a while, so he fits our system. As for Thomas not being a mauler, neither is Backus and now Backus is struggling against pass rushers. We overpayed Backus, but a cap hit is better than a bad LT. Backus still has a lot of value in the league mainly to zone blocking teams. Woody for a late third might be a lttile of a reach, but if he is in shape and motivated some team will be willing to give up something for him like the Ravens after they get comp. picks which most people expect 1 in both the 3rd and 4th.

My point was simply that I don't think Thomas fills our biggest need at that spot, and I'm not sure that Thomas will be the franchise, Orlando Pace, Jonathen Ogden type tackle prospect that justifies us drafting him that high.

woodnick
03-26-2007, 02:49 PM
I personally feel that Thomas is better than Backus, I'm a huge fan of Patrick Willis and would love to get him, but would have to trade down to far to get good value for the #2 pick/the spot he is selected in and then you also risk loosing him to another team jumping in front of you for him. Successful teams are the ones that can win the battle of the line of scrimage and I think Thomas gives us a better chance of doing so than Backus. Thomas might not be Boselli, Pace, or Anthony Munez, but he compares favorably to Ferguson from last year and he did pretty well for the Jets.

TacticaLion
03-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Interesting angle... to say the least. I don't agree with trading Backus... and would rather find a way to keep Backus and draft LaRon Landry instead of JThomas.

I would like the Willis and Spencer picks, though... I just don't think Backus will be traded.

woodnick
03-26-2007, 03:40 PM
I think the Backus trade is arguable, but I saw how well the Jets young lineman did last year and think that the Lions would be able to pull that off this year. I just question Backus' desire and love for football after an interview I saw with him last year where he frequently said football isn't everything. I know it's not, but a lot of these players don't believe that, try telling Ray Lewis that and he'd probably punch you in the face.

detroit4life
03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
wow this isnt madden and that enitre situation will never happen

Scotty D
03-26-2007, 05:31 PM
I wonder what Jeff Backus's value is even though I know we won't trade him. LT's dont get traded often.

Xiomera
03-26-2007, 05:41 PM
An idealic draft, as of 3/26:

Trade down in the top ten (I won't specify a team) and add a second rounder (and something else which I will not specify, let's assume a 2008 pick).

1 - Patrick Willis
2a - Marcus McCauley OR Aaron Ross (unless Anthony Spencer happens to fall)
2b - Brandon Merriweather
3 - LaMarr Woodley OR Dan Bazuin (if we get Spencer, then make this Stanton perhaps)

TacticaLion
03-26-2007, 06:32 PM
An idealic draft, as of 3/26:

Trade down in the top ten (I won't specify a team) and add a second rounder (and something else which I will not specify, let's assume a 2008 pick).

1 - Patrick Willis
2a - Marcus McCauley OR Aaron Ross (unless Anthony Spencer happens to fall)
2b - Brandon Merriweather
3 - LaMarr Woodley OR Dan Bazuin (if we get Spencer, then make this Stanton perhaps)
I agree 95%...

I would take either Spencer or Abiamiri with the 2a pick... unless both were gone. If so, McCauley would work for me. I love the Willis and Meriweather picks... and, if we didn't get Spencer or Abiamiri, would welcome Bazuin in the 3rd. If we DO get Spencer or Abiamiri with the 2a pick, I'd want the best CB available (that fits the defense) in round 3.

Either way, I'm happy. If we get Willis and Meriweather, I'm ecstatic.

reinar
04-07-2007, 03:15 AM
i agree that I dont think Backus is going anywhere, and if he is, its to the rightside, if we get Thomas.

that being said. we filled the G spots in free agency, so no need to get one of them later. I say our first 3-4 picks are all defense. MLB, DE, CB, CB/S/DT.