PDA

View Full Version : Monday November 7th: First Round Mock Draft

Shane P. Hallam
11-07-2011, 10:06 PM
This is using the CURRENT NFL Draft order. It does not predict or project any future games, division winners, playoffs, etc. I recognize this actual draft order cannot ACTUALLY happen. It is merely being used to project and value, team, and slot placement for players.

If your team didn't get your favorite player or biggest position of need, that doesn't always happen in the NFL Draft. Don't complain about that and be open. If a player doesn't fit your team's system, that is good information to share, but please do so constructively and in a nice manner. Thanks!

1. Indianapolis Colts – Andrew Luck QB/Stanford

Luck goes #1. The Colts would take him in this spot and see where Manning is healthwise, either to let him go or keep him for a year or two.

2. St. Louis Rams – Matt Kalil OT/USC

Plenty of ways the Rams could go. Mo Claiborne at CB would be nice, but Saffold has regressed as a LT (and is more of a RT or guard anyway). A STUD left tackle for Bradford could go a long way. I see them nabbing a playmaker in the 2nd round.

3. Miami Dolphins – Matt Barkley QB/USC

Matt Moore has played well of late, but not the future. Not quite sure Matt Barkley declares, but if he does, the Dolphins should nab him with whatever pick they have.

4. Arizona Cardinals – Morris Claiborne CB/LSU

Claiborne showcased why he is such an elite prospect against Alabama. He has the size, speed, and the head to be a top NFL corner. Maybe it is a strange pick here for the Cardinals, but AJ Jefferson NEEDS to be upgraded and in a major way. No O-lineman stands out here, would be a prime trade down spot for the Cards.

5. Carolina Panthers – Justin Blackmon WR/Oklahoma State

With Newton progressing, another weapon would be nice. Imagine this offense with Blackmon, Smith, Newton and their RBs. Though they’d likely love to have a corner like Claiborne, Blackmon could be such a great addition.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars – Quinton Coples DE/North Carolina

Don’t love Coples this high, he hasn’t had a great year. That being said, the Jaguars found a gem with Jeremy Mincey and Coples is a great option on the other side. Pass rush needs upgraded badly, and I am just not sure they go WR in the Top 10.

7. Seattle Seahawks – Landry Jones QB/Oklahoma

Jones has been inconsistent, but there is little doubt he has the tools to be a franchise QB. A big problem with the Seahawks has been their QB play in Whitehurst and Jackson, so Jones could fit this system and should bode well with Rice.

8. Minnesota Vikings – Jonathan Martin OT/Stanford

Vikings need offensive line help in a major way. I’m not so sure Martin is a top 10 pick, but there really aren’t 10 players that SHOULD go this high. Maybe another offensive weapon could help, but that can be had in Round 2.

9. Washington Redskins – Robert Griffin QB/Baylor

Washington isn’t THAT bad of a team, they just need consistent QB play to really let their young offense move forward. A bit high for Griffin, but some team could fall in love with not only his talent but top notch intangibles.

10. Cleveland Browns – Trent Richardson RB/Alabama

Richardson SHOULD go higher, but will RB be valued by Top 10 teams? If Peyton Hillis is gone, this Browns team needs a RB and badly. Hardesty can’t stay healthy and the depth is poor. Richardson could really turn around this offense and give them an identity.

11. Philadelphia Eagles – Vontaze Burfict LB/Arizona State

Burfict should blow up in workouts. Is this a bit high for him? Perhaps, but the Eagles need to man up and take a LB in the first round. Plug him at MLB, move Chaney back outside, and he can be the Ray Lewis type that takes them to the next level.

12. Denver Broncos – Dre Kirkpatrick CB/Alabama

Kirkpatrick has Top 10 upside, but consistency plagues him. With Champ again and not much depth, corner is a huge need for the Broncos. Kirkpatrick could learn from one of the best and develop into a top player.

13. Tennessee Titans – Alshon Jeffery WR/South Carolina

Jeffery COULD fall if his weight and speed are major issues this offseason, don’t be surprised. Kenny Britt is a stud coming off a rough injury. Damian Williams and Nate Washington are nice, but not great options. Adding another weapon for Jake Locker could make or break him and make this such a dynamic offense. A bit out of the box pick here.

14. Dallas Cowboys – Janoris Jenkins CB/North Alabama

This feels like a chance Jerry would be willing to make. Take what many consider the most talented corner in the draft despite some off the field issues. Jenkins should be able to step in and start from Day One.

15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Zach Brown LB/North Carolina

It’s an easy (and maybe a lazy,) pick, but with all the changes Tampa has made to their LBs and the perfect fit Zach Brown brings to the table, it just feels so right. Can get sideline to sideline and makes such a great tandem with Mason Foster.

16. Kansas City Chiefs – Dontari Poe DT/Memphis

Poe has the athleticism and size to be a monster at nose tackle. Kelly Gregg hasn’t been bad, but Poe would be a definite upgrade for the Chiefs and give this defensive line new life.

17. San Diego Chargers – Nick Perry LB/USC

I doubted Perry for awhile, but rewatching some USC tape, he has the type of talent that teams may not want to pass on. He isn’t a Top 20 player, but the Chargers need pass rush and love to try and fit guys into their system based on upside.

18. Cincinnati Bengals (f/ OAK) – David DeCastro OG/Stanford

DeCastro is a Top 10 talent in my eyes, but at guard, he won’t go that high. Bengals have tried to lock down their interior offensive line for awhile, and this would do it.

19. Cleveland Brown (f/ ATL) – Ryan Tannehill QB/Texas A&M

Maybe a bit early for a project like Tannehill, but the long term upside is huge. He could be the QB that no one quite expects to go this high and then he does. The Browns new offense is a great fit for him, and McCoy could start still to ease Tannehill in.

20. New York Jets – Riley Reiff OT/Iowa

The Jets offensive line needs some versatility. Reiff is the type who can play on the left or right side and should instantly start at right tackle like Gabe Carimi has in Chicago.

21. New England Patriots – Melvin Ingram DE/South Carolina

Sure, the Pats don’t spend high picks on pass rush, but they better start. Ingram fits the versatile scheme the Pats have trotted out, being able to put his hand down and being big enough to stand up and rush for the Pats. Ingram has been a remarkable player this year and has the intangibles the Patriots value.

22. Buffalo Bills – Courtney Upshaw LB/Alabama

Despite a record breaking day against the Redskins a few weeks back, the Bills need more pass rushers. Upshaw brings leadership, versatility, and though not the most physically talented, he is extremely tough. A great Bills type of player.

23. Chicago Bears – Cordy Glenn OG/Georgia

Don’t love Glenn right here, but we all know the Bears O-line still has some problems. It has improved for sure, but Glenn and his versatility should keep adding to it.

24. Houston Texans – Michael Floyd WR/Notre Dame

Floyd could definitely go higher, but who knows. The Texans saw what happens when you lose Andre Johnson. Floyd and AJ would be an unreal combination.

25. New England Patriots (f/ NO) – Alfonzo Dennard CB/Nebraska

The Patriots did just draft Dowling, but McCourty hasn’t played as well and despite how well Arrington has played, he shouldn’t be a #2. Alfonzo Dennard has shut down potential and would be a STEAL this late.

26. Pittsburgh Steelers – Vinny Curry LB/Marshall

Feels like a Steeler pick. Despite ponying up big money to Timmons and Woodley, James Harrison will be moving on soon. Jason Worilds looks mediocre at best, so it is time to get the next pass rusher opposite of Woodley.

27. Cincinnati Bengals – Lamar Miller RB/Miami

After grabbing interior line help, the Bengals need a more dynamic runner. To me, you can ‘t get much better than Lamar Miller. Defenses are keying in on him, and he is still making an impact. Expect a late first or early second round value if he leaves school early.

28. Baltimore Ravens – Manti Te’o LB/Notre Dame

Time to groom a Ray Lewis replacement. McClain and Ellerbe have been solid, but Te’o could likely start from Day 1 and add even more terror to the Front 7 of the Ravens.

29. New York Giants – Luke Kuechly LB/Boston College

Kuechly is Mr. Reliable and productive. People will talk him down when his workouts aren’t elite. People will say his stats are a lie. Don’t believe them. Kuechly is a 10 year NFL starter in my opinion who will always be productive.

30. Detroit Lions – Mike Adams OT/Ohio State

The Lions don’t really value the left tackle position, but it feels to be the missing piece. Corner value should be better in the 2nd round, and Adams could come in slowly and eventually be a franchise left tackle. Don’t love this pick with the current regime, but it would be a good pick.

31. San Francisco 49ers – Alameda Ta’amu DT/Washington

Tough pick. Secondary value and wide receiver value not great despite being big needs. Though they have the best run defense in the NFL, the 49ers could take a big body like Ta’amu and move him around the defensive line to be even more dangerous. Another pick I am not overly confident in, but feel he is a first round pick and good value.

32. Green Bay Packers – Mark Barron S/Alabama

Morgan Burnett has been playing very well, and Barron would be a nice addition opposite of him. He would give nice versatility with Burnett and Collins as well. He is still improving and solid value, as always for Packers picks. Helping the pass defense can’t hurt either.

TACKLE
11-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Te'o is a swell pick for the Ravens. Solid mock all around sir.

DeepThreat
11-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Such an awesome draft for the Browns.

DcmRulz
11-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Yay Jonathan Martin! Vikes really need a good T there. Hopefully we can nab a Vandy CB in round 2.

DcmRulz
11-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Makes sense that a bunch of LBs go in round 1. I feel that it really became a lot more important recently, with the rise of the slot receiver and TE.

Bearsfan123
11-07-2011, 11:03 PM
In that situation, give the Bears Floyd. Tice is making this crap dance, and we can try to pick up an O-lineman (Im thinking trade up for Brewster) in the second. But the Bears have no impact receivers. Earl Bennet was great tonight, but him Sanzenbacher, Hester, and Knox are average at best. Jay needs a playmaker and that is what Floyd would be.

nepg
11-07-2011, 11:24 PM
I think the Chiefs really like Powe, so Poe probably isn't that great of a projection (though I wouldn't rule it out). Powe hasn't seen the field because rookie NTs just don't and Amon Gordon has been very good backing up Gregg.

Chiefs have a lot of ways they can go to take them to the next level. In the first round, I'd look for ILB, TE, and RT. Those are the weak spots on the team, and positions that could propel them to being among the elite teams in the NFL if upgraded.

Can you imagine this team with a high caliber ILB and #2 TE on top of Charles, Moeaki, and Berry returning? That's adding 5 elite players at their respective positions to a team that's working towards a second division title in as many years without them.

SickwithIt1010
11-08-2011, 12:17 AM
love it...

Brown Leader
11-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Sort of a dream Browns draft for me. I expect both Tannehill and Richardson to go higher though, once the draft process really gets rolling.

Razor
11-08-2011, 02:41 AM
I can't be upset with that Patriots draft, although I prefer Upshaw to Ingram at this point. How would Dennard fit in NEs zone coverage scheme? I think we're moving back to the 3-4 next year and will be canning the man coverage. I always pictured Dennard as a press man corner, but I might be mistaken...

Matthew Jones
11-08-2011, 05:07 AM
A draft of Ingram and Dennard would make me furious. Upshaw seems like a much smoother 3-4 conversion prospect (the Patriots will probably try to move back to more odd fronts), but who knows if they'll draft a pass rusher highly. I would guess more of a two-gap defensive end for the 3-4. New England's defensive scheme calls for a lot of coverage from the OLBs so Ingram seems like an awkward fit. You pretty much gave the reason for the Patriots not going with Dennard; McCourty, Arrington, and Dowling is a nice top three. Mark Barron there would be perfect, the safety play in New England has been terrible aside from Chung.

Vaylor
11-08-2011, 05:23 AM
I know McCourty has struggled and Dowling is injured but the Patriots invested too much to give up on them now.

Razor
11-08-2011, 06:02 AM
I don't think we'll be giving up on anyone by drafting Dennard. He's more talented than any of our corners imo, and with teams constantly lining up with multiple receivers against us I like the pick. I doubt that he's a great fit, but like I said: I could be wrong about that.

FootballGod
11-08-2011, 06:42 AM
I love the DeCastro pick for the Bengals. The elite CB's were all gone so OG was the correct choice. I am not in love with the Miller pick. I don't believe in 1st round RB's unless they are elite. Richardson is the only RB I would take in the first round. Mark Barron, a DT, or even one of the elite LB's would be my choice over Miller.

phlysac
11-08-2011, 07:22 AM
31. San Francisco 49ers – Alameda Ta’amu DT/Washington

Tough pick. Secondary value and wide receiver value not great despite being big needs. Though they have the best run defense in the NFL, the 49ers could take a big body like Ta’amu and move him around the defensive line to be even more dangerous. Another pick I am not overly confident in, but feel he is a first round pick and good value.
Rational reasoning. I would love for a CB or WR to be an obvious value here but it's a stretch, currently. If Goldson doesn't resign, Barron slides into the slot nicely.

JFINK11
11-08-2011, 07:37 AM
The Steelers do value LB greatly but they also give those guys time to develop. The only one in recent memory that came out of the draft and made an impact (only on 3rd downs mind you) was Woodley. Everyone else took years, so with Chris Carter and Jason Worilds (who i agree after watching that ravens-steelers tape is mediocre) are still going to be given time to develop. The coaching staff obviously believes in him or they wouldnt have started him at OLB, they would sifted Timmons back down there and had Sylvester Stevens at MLB with Larry Foote. The Steelers MUST invest more heavily in OL, CB and S. I havent nit picked this mock to determine where the value lies at this point but if value is met with any of these spots they must jump at it. Personally, I suggest Mike Adams from Ohio State or a Guard. Another possible candidate would be Chase Minnifield (we love huge corners that can press and play the run although I personally dont like him as a prospect)

DiG
11-08-2011, 07:57 AM
griffin is a fair pick at that spot. end of the day i think we end up picking higher and make a move for barkley/luck. i could see blackmon or kirkpatrick getting a look if there arent any qbs worth taking.

tjsunstein
11-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Not huge on the Barron pick. But it depends on Collins' long term health.

coordinator0
11-08-2011, 10:25 AM
That's a mighty fine Ravens pick.

vidae
11-08-2011, 11:22 AM
I just don't don't see Poe for the Chiefs Shane. We drafted a project NT and Amon Gordon has been playing well. Sure, Gregg isn't the greatest player right now, but I think they have enough guys there to develop that they're fine at NT.

If I'm picking in your mock I'd probably take Ryan Tannehill. Let him sit behind Cassel for a year or two and develop.

If not QB, I'd take long looks at Reiff, Te'o or Kuechly. RT and ILB are huge needs as well.

ArkyRamsFan
11-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Kaili to the Rams is music to my ears!!

Shane P. Hallam
11-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I just don't don't see Poe for the Chiefs Shane. We drafted a project NT and Amon Gordon has been playing well. Sure, Gregg isn't the greatest player right now, but I think they have enough guys there to develop that they're fine at NT.

If I'm picking in your mock I'd probably take Ryan Tannehill. Let him sit behind Cassel for a year or two and develop.

If not QB, I'd take long looks at Reiff, Te'o or Kuechly. RT and ILB are huge needs as well.

Knew I should have went with an Iowa O-lineman!

shylo3716
11-08-2011, 04:28 PM
11. Philadelphia Eagles – Vontaze Burfict LB/Arizona State

Burfict should blow up in workouts. Is this a bit high for him? Perhaps, but the Eagles need to man up and take a LB in the first round. Plug him at MLB, move Chaney back outside, and he can be the Ray Lewis type that takes them to the next level.

I'm so stuck on this projection that I don't want Andy to consider any other prospect for us in the 1st.

Menardo75
11-08-2011, 05:20 PM
I expect more out of you Shane.

CMR#20
11-08-2011, 06:27 PM
I agree with the Patriots picks. I have Andre Branch and Dennard to the Patriots in my mock. Branch generated a lot of double teams which opened up Bowers last season. I really like the Patriots with Branch. He has 8.5 sacks. The one pick I disagree with is the Cardinals taking Claiborne. I really like Jonathan Martin he is a top 5 talent. I think you should have mocked him to Arizona. If you don't think Martin is a top 5 talent I can't really critique you too much for the Claiborne pick. Plus it would be pretty cool to see two former LSU players Peterson and Claiborne anchor the same secondary in Arizona for the next decade maybe 2 decades.

prock
11-09-2011, 05:35 AM
I dig Martin.

vidae
11-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Knew I should have went with an Iowa O-lineman!

Oh you cheeky bastard!

Sloopy
11-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Pretty solid Ravens pick :) and I don't mean to nit-pick... but you have 4 NFC teams picking in the bottom 4, gotta move us down to that 32 spot as it is the most obvious solution here :P

ImBrotherCain
11-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I was thinking about Mark Barron for the Pack last Saturday. Though I do like the pick only if Collins long term health doesn't look promising.

Other than that OLB, DE are more of a concern to me.

Larry
11-09-2011, 01:47 PM
I saw Ta’amu against Stanford and he looked awful. Don't want.

Shane P. Hallam
11-10-2011, 06:39 AM
Pretty solid Ravens pick :) and I don't mean to nit-pick... but you have 4 NFC teams picking in the bottom 4, gotta move us down to that 32 spot as it is the most obvious solution here :P

:P Read the beginning of the post :)

Sloopy
11-10-2011, 07:08 PM
:P Read the beginning of the post :)

I'm inserting my foot into my mouth as we speak, I guess I just got to excited and went right to the Ravens pick :P