PDA

View Full Version : NFLPA to Stage All-Star Game in LA

dannyz
11-09-2011, 12:32 AM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/7202855/nflpa-stage-pre-draft-game-los-angeles

A New Pre-Draft Game that will allow anyone who is Draft Eligible so that means Underclassmen. I think this is Great, I wonder how many Seniors will skip the Senior Bowl to play in this game to go against better Competition?

whatadai
11-09-2011, 02:05 AM
Where can I buy tickets?

dolphinfan2k5
11-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Surprised this wasn't posted earlier. NFL teams are "planning" to boycott it I think.

descendency
11-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Prospects will boycott it. They're not going to risk their stock on a meaningless game.

whatadai
11-09-2011, 02:31 AM
Prospects will boycott it. They're not going to risk their stock on a meaningless game.

Then why do they play in the Senior Bowl?

Saints-Tigers
11-09-2011, 02:31 AM
Why are they boycotting? How is this different from other college all star games that a lot of guys participate in.

descendency
11-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Then why do they play in the Senior Bowl?

Who? Some random 3rd and 4th rounders?

Shane P. Hallam
11-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Who? Some random 3rd and 4th rounders?

Couple things:

1. The Senior Bowl has had double digit first round picks every year. Go back and look and let me know the last time that wasn't true (or pretty close with 9 first rounders). So, prospects aren't exactly boycotting a meaningless game there.

2. For dannyz, NFLPA game won't take prospects away from the Senior Bowl. Talking with those who went on the "All-Star" game trail, there is a clear difference of media and scout presence at the Senior Bowl compared to the other two. The inclusion of underclassmen is interesting and will garner some attention, especially from those underclassmen who feel they have something more to prove. The only issue will be those that leave feeling they are high first round picks and foregoing the game. I'll be interested to see the numbers, but there won't be better competition. Matt Barkley and Kalil and won't exactly be jumping to play.

3. It is scheduled at the same time as the East/West Shrine Game and may just kill that all-star game...

SolidGold
11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
The Senior Bowl will never be rivaled. All the exposure it receives, the fact that all the NFL's personnel men and scouting departments show up is a huge selling point to the prospects who are invited to participate. Players actually get to practice for a whole week and play for current NFL coaches. The interaction between the prospects and NFL coaches is invaluable IMO.

I do not think this new game will really make a dent in the Senior bowl. The fact there are draft eligible underclassmen does help its cause but I still think most senior prospects will opt for the Senior Bowl if invited.

brat316
11-09-2011, 11:13 AM
NFLN covers the senior bowl likes it their job.

Who is going to cover this?

It'll turn into more of an underclassmen and mid rounders. Shrine game guys.

Isn't there also another all star game by Mike Leech?

ElectricEye
11-09-2011, 07:23 PM
This is absolutely fantastic news and something I've been waiting for. Really looking forward to this, potentially a real great venue to gather more information about underclassmen with things to prove. The main thing though, is that it could consolidate some of the talent from the second tier All Star games, with a mix of underclassmen. Potentially interesting.

dolphinfan2k5
11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I thought it was on the same weekend as the Senior Bowl, hence the "boycotting".

dannyz
11-09-2011, 07:44 PM
I know guys like Andrew Luck and Justin Blackmon won't be playing in this game but it could help with a guy like a Bryce Brown or an Underclassmen by playing against some good competition.

Shane P. Hallam
11-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I thought it was on the same weekend as the Senior Bowl, hence the "boycotting".

Nope, same weekend as East/West Shrine.

And NCAA teams don't want underclassmen invited, so they may not support it much either.

descendency
11-09-2011, 08:18 PM
1. The Senior Bowl has had double digit first round picks every year. Go back and look and let me know the last time that wasn't true (or pretty close with 9 first rounders). So, prospects aren't exactly boycotting a meaningless game there.

That's actually impressive. I would have thought it was closer to like 2-3 per year.

49erNation85
11-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Interesting news , do we really need another all star game for college kids?I mean how many do we actually have right, like 5 or more ?The Senor week being the biggest one for senors ( too bad Luck won't be there ) I just think LA is trying to push this whole NFL team and get more money out sponsors type of deal.Wither it works great if not oh well.We will always have coverage of Senor bowl week, the best ever.

Menardo75
11-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Interesting news , do we really need another all star game for college kids?I mean how many do we actually have right, like 5 or more ?The Senor week being the biggest one for senors ( too bad Luck won't be there ) I just think LA is trying to push this whole NFL team and get more money out sponsors type of deal.Wither it works great if not oh well.We will always have coverage of Senor bowl week, the best ever.

Senior not Senor. More all-star games the better gives more kids more opportunities and at the end of the day that's all you'd ask for.

Big Bird
11-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Top underclassman won't be playing in this, more like late round and undrafted types.

Also, scouts plan on boycotting the game for them allowing underclassman to go. The NFL is very big about protecting the college game and doing everything in their power to keep players in school. It also helps them to have more game tape on a player.

kalbears13
11-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Now I just need to find someone that wants to go...

Shane P. Hallam
11-10-2011, 06:10 AM

This isn't a new All-Star game. It is the NFLPA Game (formerly the Texas vs. the Nation game). It is going to be played the same time as the East/West Shrine, which may fold due to this. So, we actually may have LESS All-Star games played due to this announcement.

Big Bird
11-16-2011, 09:55 AM
NFL scouts are prohibited from attending any practices or games involving underclassmen.
-Pro Football Talk

Anybody still think that this is a good idea?

PossibleCabbage
11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Somewhat problematically Per PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/16/nflpa-all-star-game-will-be-missing-nfl-scouts/)

1) Professional NFL scouts are prohibited from attending a post-season all-star game practice or game which involves underclassmen.

2) The Wednesday of the Practice of the week before the game coincides with the end of the three day window during which you're allowed to retract your petition for draft eligibility and retain your amateur status, and the NFLPA maintains that you need to be draft eligible to participate.

This seems like a bad idea just all around. If you have hired an agent, he'll probably say "don't risk getting hurt, there won't be any scouts there." If you haven't hired an agent, how much is being invited to an all-star game like this going to make you give up your eligibility (and potentially ignore what the DAC told you.)

This just seems like a bad idea all around. If even one underclassmen sees the invitation to the NFLPA game as a ticket to riches, blows his eligibility, and then doesn't get drafted... then it's a tragedy.