PDA

View Full Version : Luke Keuchly Boston College: Can he play all 3 LB positions?

bucfan12
11-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I was just wondering anyone's take on him. He's most likely to be a 1st round guy, probably in the picks 15-25. I think he's one heck of a football player. Wondering how he would succeed as a WLB in a 4-3 scheme.

Thoughts?

Sloopy
11-09-2011, 11:42 AM
There are like 3 threads that have discussed this already

A Perfect Score
11-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah he already has a few threads of his own, but in short...Yes. He can play all three LB positions in a 4-3, and ILB in a 3-4.

JHL6719
11-09-2011, 02:10 PM
At the same time? Don't be ridiculous.

keylime_5
11-09-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't think he's athletic enough to play OLB longterm. Obviously inside in a 4-3 is his natural position.

PossibleCabbage
11-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah he already has a few threads of his own, but in short...Yes. He can play all three LB positions in a 4-3, and ILB in a 3-4.

Would you put him at both ILB positions in a 3-4? I would play him at Jack, but I'm not sure if I would play him at Buck.

thegreatone
11-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Would you put him at both ILB positions in a 3-4? I would play him at Jack, but I'm not sure if I would play him at Buck.
I think he could play both, but Jack would be ideal.

phlysac
11-09-2011, 07:02 PM
I think it would depend up scheme in a 3-4. I don't think he would do well as a classic Ted or Buck. But in a scheme that mirrors Mike's and Ted's he could do better.

Sloopy
11-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Interesting and off topic: I've only ever heard the terminology of "jack" as refering to the big blitzing backer in the 3-4. I'm not assuming this is what you mean.

Just to clarify for my terminology: "Thumper" ("Mike" for blitz calls) in the 3-4 scheme, run stuffer. (In your case I'm assuming a "Jack"?)

"Buck" a "Will/Mike" hybrid of sorts in the 3-4, needs to be able to perform pass coverage as well as run stuff to a degree. (I'm assuming same for you guys?)

I could definitely see him playing both, but a Buck would be his best position at the pro level if a 3-4 team drafted him. I think he would most find himself at home in a 4-3 though likely Will and maybe a Mike

phlysac
11-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Interesting and off topic: I've only ever heard the terminology of "jack" as refering to the big blitzing backer in the 3-4. I'm not assuming this is what you mean.

Just to clarify for my terminology: "Thumper" ("Mike" for blitz calls) in the 3-4 scheme, run stuffer. (In your case I'm assuming a "Jack"?)

"Buck" a "Will/Mike" hybrid of sorts in the 3-4, needs to be able to perform pass coverage as well as run stuff to a degree. (I'm assuming same for you guys?)

I could definitely see him playing both, but a Buck would be his best position at the pro level if a 3-4 team drafted him. I think he would most find himself at home in a 4-3 though likely Will and maybe a Mike

Yeah, I've always been taught that the "Thumper" was the TED. "Jack" was the strong-side rush LB in a 3-4 which I've always called "SAM."

What I was always taught...

Will - Mike - Sam
or
Will - Mike - Ted - Sam

Sloopy
11-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I've always been taught that the "Thumper" was the TED. "Jack" was the strong-side rush LB in a 3-4 which I've always called "SAM."

What I was always taught...

Will - Mike - Sam
or
Will - Mike - Ted - Sam

Yea I mean I've seen all those used before, with Will Mike and Sam being fairly basic terms with there being obviously more specific terms to what role they play in certain systems.

I've just always seen or been taught that Jack was a form of Will or Sam depending on the system, usually referring to a primary blitzing OLB. I had never seen it used to describe an ILB, unless it was indeed being implied that Kuechly could play that role.

Although, if that is the case, I believe it to be a big mistake. Don't really see him as a primarily blitzing back, just not his modus operandi.