PDA

View Full Version : Which coach would you least like to play for?

Splat
11-10-2011, 09:42 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Nobody-wants-to-play-for-Tom-Coughlin?urn=nfl-wp11594

The Sporting News surveyed 111 players around the NFL and asked them a series of questions at the NFL's midpoint of the season. One of those questions was, "Which coach would you least like to play for?" (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-11/players-poll/story/midseason-player-poll-coughlin-least-desired-coach#ixzz1dL9TAzb1) Not surprisingly, the most popular answers were the mean guys. Here are your top-three vote-getters:

Tom Coughlin, New York Giants (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyg/) - 22
Tony Sparano, Miami Dolphins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/mia/) - 21
Bill Belichick, New England Patriots (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nwe/) - 15

Pete Carroll, Todd Haley, Jim Harbaugh, Rex Ryan and Jim Schwartz were next on the list, but none of them had more than six votes. Coughlin, Sparano and Belichick are clearly the meanest teachers in the school.

V.I.P
11-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Tony Sparano? Did i miss something?

DeepThreat
11-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Sparano because he's awful.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-10-2011, 10:11 PM
"I hate Coughlin! When we win he doesn't take us out for ice cream like all the other Head Coaches." - Giants Player

Notredameleo
11-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Rex Ryan. . . .

Complex
11-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Bill Belicheck.

Thecollegedropout
11-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Rex Ryan. . . .
He's among the tops to play for....he's an awesome coach(esp for defensive players) and takes the weight off shoulders with his press conferences.

LonghornsLegend
11-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Am I the only one who thinks 111 is an unreasonably low number to use to create a formula? I mean, that's like two teams worth of players. Depending on the division, age of players, conference etc all matter. You've got to ask more then 100 players for me to expect it to mean anything.

Vox Populi
11-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Probably Spags because I can't handle the accent.

descendency
11-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Jim Caldwell.

TACKLE
11-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Caldwell and Norv Turner seem super lame.

MetSox17
11-11-2011, 01:57 AM
I would absolutely hate to play for Jim Caldwell. I probably wouldn't be able to respect him.

Brodeur
11-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Caldwell and Norv Turner seem super lame.

At least Norv Turner was an offensive mastermind for a Super Bowl winning team once upon a time. Caldwell was a godawful coach at Wake Forest who caught a break with Dungy, and is somehow the caretaker for Peyton Manning's team getting exposed without Peyton Manning.

Brent
11-11-2011, 05:45 AM
McDaniels and Whisenhunt come to mind; Haley, too.

BeerBaron
11-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Tom Coughlin. I like to laugh at the Giants fans who get pissy about that...

I know he's not a coach now, but Jon Gruden seems like he would have been a real asshole to play for.

Todd Haley also seems like an asshole coach.

At the end of the day, if you ask the players about their actual coach, most would seem to defend the guy to the death. Bill Parcells seemed like he'd be ****** to play for, but his former players seem to highly regard him.

I think as long as a coach is winning, his own players will "like" him that much more.

Brent
11-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Tom Coughlin. I like to laugh at the Giants fans who get pissy about that.
didn't a player or two have their careers ruined because Coughlin forced them to played injured? where is YFS to confirm this?

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2011, 06:50 AM
didn't a player or two have their careers ruined because Coughlin forced them to played injured? where is YFS to confirm this?

It's quite possible but the Coughlin of the last 4 years is a totally different person from when he was in Jax and his early time with the Giants.

TheFinisher
11-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Lovie Smith.

BeerBaron
11-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Lovie Smith.

But he's so easy going!

Seriously, the Bears players might revolt if anything happens to him. Because if he's out, they might actually get a <gasp> strict coach who will occasionally get fired up in bad situations instead of just making a dumb face and challenging the scoreboard.

Razor
11-11-2011, 07:37 AM
If Dungy was still coaching he'd be my answer. If I played for him I'd kick his bible hugging ass to ******* Hell and back. Right now... Pete Carroll.

BeerBaron
11-11-2011, 07:39 AM
If Dungy was still coaching he'd be my answer. If I played for him I'd kick his bible hugging ass to ******* Hell and back. Right now... Pete Carroll.

http://cbsminnesota.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/tonydungy_99163638.jpg

He would just look into your eyes and steal your soul.

Jughead10
11-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Tom Coughlin. I like to laugh at the Giants fans who get pissy about that...

As long as it doesn't effect us in Free Agency I don't care. And I don't think it ever has. Players want to win and love money a lot more than they care about if the coach is warm and fuzzy.

Menardo75
11-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Todd Haley, Pete Carrol, Jim Caldwell.

Brothgar
11-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Jerry Sandusky ...

But in all seriousness I think Jack Del Rio might be the guy on top of my list.

PoopSandwich
11-11-2011, 10:52 AM
http://cbsminnesota.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/tonydungy_99163638.jpg

He would just look into your eyes and steal your soul.

http://images.wikia.com/starfox/images/a/a9/Andross_android.jpg

OR HE WOULD TRY TO KILL STAR FOX

diabsoule
11-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Todd Haley, Jim Caldwell, Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick, and Norv Turner

NY+Giants=NYG
11-11-2011, 02:41 PM
If Parcells was the way he was in the 80s I bet the players now would hate him too. I would guess that some of his coaches on his staff would not like him too.

Usually the best teachers, or successful coaches are the ones you tend to hate the most. When you pass the grade or semester, or go on to a new coach, you tend to appreciate the impact they left in hindsight.

Same thing with a HC like Landry. Players on his team hated him back then, if he tried coaching now he'd be on the list. Now a days people tend to not like the old school approach.

I loved the Coughlin hire when we fired Jim F. and still to this day I love him as our coach. Only issue I have is his loyalty to his coordinators.

Hufangel Tim Lewis, Spags, Sheridan, and Fewell.
Gilbride

Stop hiring idiotic coordinators and stop being loyal to them!

niel89
11-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I think it would suck to play for Belichick but I'm sure it would be worth it when they win.

I feel like a lot of those other guys like Jim Harbaugh, Rex Ryan, and Schwartz would be awesome to play under and their players love them; but from the outside, players get rubbed the wrong way and think they are jerks.

TACKLE
11-11-2011, 02:50 PM
I dunno, personally I'd like to play for Belichick.

Brodeur
11-11-2011, 03:20 PM
If Parcells was the way he was in the 80s I bet the players now would hate him too. I would guess that some of his coaches on his staff would not like him too.

Usually the best teachers, or successful coaches are the ones you tend to hate the most. When you pass the grade or semester, or go on to a new coach, you tend to appreciate the impact they left in hindsight.

Same thing with a HC like Landry. Players on his team hated him back then, if he tried coaching now he'd be on the list. Now a days people tend to not like the old school approach.

I loved the Coughlin hire when we fired Jim F. and still to this day I love him as our coach. Only issue I have is his loyalty to his coordinators.

Hufangel Tim Lewis, Spags, Sheridan, and Fewell.
Gilbride

Stop hiring idiotic coordinators and stop being loyal to them!

Are you calling Spags an idiotic coordinator?!

NY+Giants=NYG
11-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Are you calling Spags an idiotic coordinator?!

No, i meant that's our list of coordinators under TC. Tim Lewis was terrible! Spags left, which is fine, we got max return from his hire. Stupid hires were:

Hufangel Ben got Whisehunt, Rivers got Cam and we hired this filth
Tim Lewis
Sheridan

Jury is out on fewell.

Under Coughlin it's pretty much American Idol: Defensive coordinator Edition. It seems we keep looking for a DC very often.

BeerBaron
11-11-2011, 03:40 PM
It all traces back to winning. Obviously, if players had their choice, they wouldn't play for someone like Coughlin and would prefer someone "nice" like a Dungy, Lovie Smith, etc.

But if the team is successful, the players will stand behind their coach, no matter what he's like. Winning cures all.

princefielder28
11-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Norv Turner and Jim Caldwell have had success in the past because of the people arouind them but if I were a player in their locker room, they wouldn't hold much credibility with me.

Brodeur
11-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Norv Turner and Jim Caldwell have had success in the past because of the people arouind them but if I were a player in their locker room, they wouldn't hold much credibility with me.

Turner is a great, great offensive coordinator. I don't think it's fair to group him in here, especially given that Caldwell is just pure awfulness.

No, i meant that's our list of coordinators under TC. Tim Lewis was terrible! Spags left, which is fine, we got max return from his hire. Stupid hires were:

Hufangel Ben got Whisehunt, Rivers got Cam and we hired this filth
Tim Lewis
Sheridan

Jury is out on fewell.

Under Coughlin it's pretty much American Idol: Defensive coordinator Edition. It seems we keep looking for a DC very often.

Tim Lewis' ability to keep getting work troubles me.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I think he is on the Falcons now. Sheridan is the LB coach on the phins. Hiring him was the biggest mistake ever! Terrible DC! Coughlin is 1/3 in hiring first time coordinators. Hufangel and Sheridan were epic failures!

princefielder28
11-11-2011, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=Brodeur;2744726]Turner is a great, great offensive coordinator. I don't think it's fair to group him in here, especially given that Caldwell is just pure awfulness.

I was speaking in terms of being the head guy...i'm not going to deny Turner's abilities as a coordinator

TheFinisher
11-11-2011, 07:19 PM
But he's so easy going!

Seriously, the Bears players might revolt if anything happens to him. Because if he's out, they might actually get a <gasp> strict coach who will occasionally get fired up in bad situations instead of just making a dumb face and challenging the scoreboard.

I've always liked playing for coaches who will remind you every once in a while that they used to play this game too, someone like Harbaugh who would greet your kick returner with a chest bump after he just ran one back for 6. Coaches who aren't afraid to show their passion for the game.

Lovie is about as emotionless as they come on the sidelines, plus he has that dumb look on his face after something goes wrong lol. Just not my type of coach.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I've always liked playing for coaches who will remind you every once in a while that they used to play this game too, someone like Harbaugh who would greet your kick returner with a chest bump after he just ran one back for 6. Coaches who aren't afraid to show their passion for the game.

Lovie is about as emotionless as they come on the sidelines, plus he has that dumb look on his face after something goes wrong lol. Just not my type of coach.

Hehe if you want to see a dumb look, you should check out Wade Philips when he was the Dallas HC. You could make a calendar book of dumb looks of Wade Philips, lol.

TheFinisher
11-11-2011, 07:32 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_moTXz9Fa6Zo/TNhvWOaAmcI/AAAAAAAAARE/M3ziNWqf58A/s1600/wade-phillips.jpg

Ah, now there's a dumb face I won't soon forget.

Heck of a defensive mind, just too much of a pushover to ever be anything more.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-11-2011, 07:41 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_moTXz9Fa6Zo/TNhvWOaAmcI/AAAAAAAAARE/M3ziNWqf58A/s1600/wade-phillips.jpg

Ah, now there's a dumb face I won't soon forget.

Heck of a defensive mind, just too much of a pushover to ever be anything more.

He just looked like he didn't understand what was going on? The bang cartoons of him, where Jones called him tubby were great! "Shut up, Tubby, I'm in charge here!" LOL.

CJSchneider
11-12-2011, 08:36 AM
http://www.point-spreads.com/images/stories/colts-jim-caldwell.jpg

Seeing this looking in from the sidelines would drive me crazy.

Rabscuttle
11-12-2011, 08:59 AM
It would be interesting to see names attached to opinions. In some cases it would say a lot more about the player than the coach.

Da-Phins
11-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Oh how little does outside players know about Sparano but expected. From the outside yeah I prob wouldnt want to play for him too seeing that his teams has been horrible since 09 and doesnt help that the owner tried to replace him earlier this year. But the players in the lockerroom that you know, actually been around Sparano loves playing for the guy and have supported him since day 1. This team hasnt quit on him and has been fighting even though playoffs hopes are over.

And how the hell is Rex Ryan on that list? I dont see how any player wouldnt want to play for him.