PDA

View Full Version : Would Peyton Manning ever go into coaching?

MetSox17
11-11-2011, 02:35 AM
What say you? I don't think there's anyone in football (maybe some coaches) that prepares more, and knows more about his offense than Peyton Manning does. He's obviously one of the all time greatest quarterbacks, and he's a machine in the film room, but will he ever make the move into coaching once he hangs up the cleats? I know i'd kick the hell out of my OC to have him, but i don't know if he would actually want to do it.

Discuss.

Ness
11-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Perhaps. But regardless, he may not make a good coach. If it's a position coach, he'd probably be a good candidate. But if we're talking offensive coordinator, ability to scout talent or take lack of talent and maximize it, I'm not so sure. It would be interesting to see him give it a a shot though.

Bengalsrocket
11-11-2011, 02:58 AM
Knowledge and intelligence don't necessarily create a good teacher. I would never doubt his ability to create schemes that could exploit various defenses, but there is no way for us to really know if he has the patience to mentor / teach young players.

Saints-Tigers
11-11-2011, 03:56 AM
It's hard for uber talented players to relate to less talented guys I think, that's why you don't see a lot of megastar players become great coaches, in any sport... (well, I only watch basketball and football).

MetSox17
11-11-2011, 04:07 AM
For the record, i don't think he would either, but i'm fascinated by the idea of him being a QBs coach/OC

Ngatachance92
11-11-2011, 04:09 AM
Didn't work for MJ, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for Peyton just that being one of the greatest to ever put on a uniform doesn't necessarily equal coaching success. He would definitely start as a position coach, but as he absorbs more knowledge from the coaching perspective to supplement his insane knowledge base of X's and O's from the player perspective I don't really see a reason why he couldn't be good as an offensive coordinator or Head Coach in the future.

Brent
11-11-2011, 05:43 AM
I think the teaching aspect is what might be tough.

Sloopy
11-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Didn't work for MJ, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for Peyton just that being one of the greatest to ever put on a uniform doesn't necessarily equal coaching success. He would definitely start as a position coach, but as he absorbs more knowledge from the coaching perspective to supplement his insane knowledge base of X's and O's from the player perspective I don't really see a reason why he couldn't be good as an offensive coordinator or Head Coach in the future.

I don't know if there is a single player right now who understands the base X's and O's more than Peyton Manning

Perhaps. But regardless, he may not make a good coach. If it's a position coach, he'd probably be a good candidate. But if we're talking offensive coordinator, ability to scout talent or take lack of talent and maximize it, I'm not so sure. It would be interesting to see him give it a a shot though.

He does a pretty good job now taking the lack of talent around him and maximizing it (when healthy).

I'm not saying he would be a lock as a great coach or even that he would want to do it, but lets face it, Manning is pretty much the OC for the Colts already. I sure as hell don't doubt his knowledge of "the x's and o's" and I certainly don't doubt his ability to call plays.

Teaching an mentoring is more of the positional coahces anyway, He certainly could teach/mentor a QB (although they'd probably file a restraining order for all the time he made them spend in the film room).

Conclusion: I don't doubt his ability to do it, I doubt that he wants to do it. Most superstar players are ready/willing to become fans after they hang em up

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2011, 08:43 AM
I think he's going to wind up doing TV and will end up being one of the best. He has a great personality and obviously has the type of knowledge that would get me drooling to listen to him.

Sloopy
11-11-2011, 08:46 AM
I think he's going to wind up doing TV and will end up being one of the best. He has a great personality and obviously has the type of knowledge that would get me drooling to listen to him.

This. I would love to listen to PM break down a play. Not to mention he would probably be funny as hell. He could be a one man commentating crew and I'd ******* love it

Xonraider
11-11-2011, 08:53 AM
He kind of is already, I don't see why not.

Menardo75
11-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I think he eventually could be one of the top OC's in the NFL.

Jughead10
11-11-2011, 10:31 AM
It's hard for uber talented players to relate to less talented guys I think, that's why you don't see a lot of megastar players become great coaches, in any sport... (well, I only watch basketball and football).

Yes but I feel Peyton is so talented because of intelligence, vision, and knowledge of the game. His arm and athleticism certainly isn't world class. Brett Favre would be terrible coach because you can't teach running around like an idiot and then throwing the ball off your back foot for 40 yards. But I do think Peyton can relate his knowledge onto younger players.

Nalej
11-11-2011, 10:44 AM
He kind of is already, I don't see why not.

Pretty much how I see.
As far as an example of a great player turning into an awesome coach: Larry Bird

Jughead10
11-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Pretty much how I see.
As far as an example of a great player turning into an awesome coach: Larry Bird

There are a lot of examples in baseball.

Nalej
11-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Yea, you're right. I guess I was kinda responding to Saints-Tigers since he said he only watches Football and Basketball.

CC.SD
11-11-2011, 11:23 AM
He's probably starting right now.

Prowler
11-11-2011, 12:57 PM
I see Manning taking the John Elway/Larry Bird path.

TitanHope
11-11-2011, 01:07 PM
I absolutely do, and I think he could retire and walk onto the University of Tennessee campus and be given a position on the staff. He already runs the Manning QB camp where he coaches amateur players too.

I think he'd be a better OC than QB Coach. Just doesn't seem to be a terribly patient guy, and seems like the more control he has, the happier he'll be. I think he'll enjoy calling plays and developing game plans much more than coaching up struggling or slumping QB's.

M.O.T.H.
11-11-2011, 01:33 PM
I'd love to see it...but I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up on CBS's gameday crew or something.

This is something I often wonder about, which guys will go into coaching or tv afterwards. Never thought Hugh Douglas would make his way to tv...I really wish he hadn't.

MetSox17
11-11-2011, 02:29 PM
I was watching ESPN on my Xbox a few days ago and i saw that Hugh Douglas was on there.. he's a bumbling idiot.

niel89
11-11-2011, 02:38 PM
It would be tough to have Manning as your coach because he worked harder in his career that you ever could and Manning would be incredibly demanding. Manning would hold you up to his standard, which is impossibly high for the majority of others.

I would love to see him in the booth though. He would actually watch game tape, have great prepared segments and he is a generally likable guy. With the pressure of winning and competing off his back, I could see him relaxing and being a great commentator. Could you imagine him on a show like Playbook or the NFL Matchups show? It would be a treat for the fans.

DcmRulz
11-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Manning would make an excellent QB coach quickly in my opinion, but I think he would need seasoning before he gets any good as an OC or HC. If his work ethic in coaching is as good as his work ethic at QB, he could be a great one.

bearfan
11-13-2011, 11:26 PM
I would like to see him as Indy's OC coaching up Luck.

SickwithIt1010
11-14-2011, 12:19 AM
I dont doubt for one second that he could be a great coach. I think he could be one of the best in the game if he is able to TEACH his way of doing things to the next guy.

Ive played with and against guys who have played baseball at San Diego State where Tony Gwynn is the head coach. They said he is a terrible coach, and they hate him just due to the simple fact that he was sooooo advanced in his approach and his way of learning the game that he just simply couldnt teach it to everyone. Peyton's way of doing things is much more advanced than the normal quarterback/offensive player. His brain and his work ethic are on a different level, he may not be able to teach that to everyone.

We all know Peyton gets very fired up, whats to say he doesnt just snap when these guys dont get what hes trying to lay down. (Gwynn supposedly does)

Im all for seeing him try it out because I think he could be awesome, just thought id share my thoughts and some thoughts of people who are kinda going through this.

elway=goat
11-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Dan Patrick asked him if he would ever go into coaching last season. Manning said no.. He said that when ever he has tried calling plays he looks at it as if what he would do in that situation instead of the players actually executing it and said it was too frustrating basically.

So he gave his answer.. Then as NO. But who knows really. People say stuff and change their minds all the time.

This interview was on Dan Patrick's morning radio show btw.

Ness
11-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Dan Patrick has a great show.