PDA

View Full Version : Projected depth chart/needs

bearsfan_51
03-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Updated again, the ages are reflective of how old they will be at the start of the 2008 season.

Quarterback (3) Kyle Orton (26-'09), Rex Grossman (28-'08), Caleb Hanie (23-'12)

Runningback (4) Matt Forte (22-'12), Garrett Wolfe (24-'10), Adrian Peterson (29-'09), Kevin Jones (26-'08)

Fullback (2) Jason McKie (28-'11), Jason Davis (25-'08)

Wide Reciever (6) Devin Hester (25-'13), Rashied Davis (29-'10), Brandon Lloyd (26-'08), Marty Booker (32-'09), Brandon Rideau (26-'08), Earl Bennett (22-'11)

Tight End (3) Desmond Clark (31-'10), Greg Olsen (23-'11), Kellen Davis (23-'11)

Offensive Tackles (3) John Tait (33-'09), John St. Clair (31-'08), Chris Williams (22-'12)

Interior Offensive Line (5) Olin Kruetz (31-'10), Roberto Garza (29-'11), Josh Beekman (25-'10), Dan Buenning (26-'09), Terrance Metcalf (30-'11)

Defensive Ends (4) Adewale Ogunleye (31-'09), Alex Brown (29-'11), Mark Anderson (25-'09), Ervin Baldwin (22-'11)

Defensive Tackle (5) Tommie Harris (25-'12), Marcus Harrison (23-'12), Israel Idonije (27-'09), Anthony Adams (28-'10), Matt Toeiana (25-'09)

Linebacker (6) Brian Urlacher (30-'12), Lance Briggs (27-'13), Nick Roach (23-'08-ERFA), Hunter Hillenmeyer (27-'11), Jamar Williams (24-'09), Joey LaRocque (22-'11)

Cornerback (4) Charles Tillman (27-'13), Corey Graham (23-'10), Trumaine McBride (22-'10), Marcus Hamilton (24-'08)

Safety (4) Mike Brown (30-'08), Kevin Payne (24-'10), Danieal Manning (26-'09), Craig Steltz (23-'11)

Special Teamers (3) Robbie Gould (25-'12), Brad Maynard (33-'10), Patrick Mannaley (32-'10)

Practice Squad
Joe Clermond (DE)
Cody Balogh (T)
Fontel Mines (TE)
Mike Hass (WR)
John Broussard (WR)
Rudy Burgess (CB)
Tyler Reed (G)

Injured Reserve
Nathan Vasher (CB)
Dusty Dvoracek (DT)
Darrell McClover (LB)
Zack Bowman (CB)
Fred Miller (OT)
Brandon McGowan (S)

bearsfan_51
03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Ok..on to the comments.

1) Obviously a runningback and tight end is a need, but not one that couldn't be filled in rounds 3-5

2)Drafting a 1st round wide reciever would likely put 5 on the gameday roster, unless the club wanted to deactivate Bradley or Davis.

3)If we draft an offensive tackle with one of our first two picks I think it'll be interesting to see if St.Clair gets the boot and we trust a rookie as our swing tackle.

4)In the possible event that all of our D-lineman are healthy it'll be interesting to see who the club deactivates between Dvorack and Idonije. If we draft another D-lineman I think it all but ensures that Tank Johnson will be cut.

5)Safety could still be a medium need depending upon the health of Mike Brown.

Ok that's good for now. Bring on the comments.

SFbear
03-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Nice job. I heard conflicting reports about Tyrone Carter so he may or may not be on the roster.

bearsfan_51
03-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Nice job. I heard conflicting reports about Tyrone Carter so he may or may not be on the roster.
PFT.com said that Bears officials said they did not sign Carter and have no plans to.

I think it's also worth noting with our added flexbility we could draft Beason or Timmons at #31 whether we plan on Briggs coming back or not and have them compete with Hillenmeyer (although I really like Hunter).

bearfan
03-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I really like that Joe Stelley as a punter. When I was in TC last year, he was showing up Maynard for the days that I was there. Man does he have a leg

Smokey Joe
03-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Okay... if I had it my way, Brandon Jackson would be drafted as the RB in the 3rd round. For TE, I personally like Kevin Boss in the 5th round if he is there, but next years draft is a lot deeper at TE and I think we could find a really good one first day. If D. Manning is moved to CB, which seems likely, I wouldn't mind someone like Josh Gattis in the 4th.

I think a future no. 1 WR would be huge to have. Berrian is more of a no. 2, and Bradley is a big ?, and Davis is just a good slot guy. If we could get a Bowe or Jarrett in the first, or a Sidney Rice or Robert Meachem in the 2nd, I'd be ecstatic.

The only OT I think worth drafting at 31 is Joe Staley. But I doubt he would be there. And if OT is really that big of a need for JA, I could see Ugoh at 31, but that is still a reach and the earliest I would take Ugoh is at 37. With Ruben returning, I think we can take our chances with either developing Tyler Reed some more, or drafting someone in the mid rounds. But if someone like Ben Grubbs or Ryan Kalil are there at 37, I probably wouldn't pass them.

Now, the Briggs situation. If we could get a pick between 25-33 and maybe some extra for Briggs, that'd be great. I would not mind either Timmons or Beason in the first if they are there.

pellepelle_10
03-28-2007, 01:03 AM
Okay... if I had it my way, Brandon Jackson would be drafted as the RB in the 3rd round. For TE, I personally like Kevin Boss in the 5th round if he is there, but next years draft is a lot deeper at TE and I think we could find a really good one first day. If D. Manning is moved to CB, which seems likely, I wouldn't mind someone like Josh Gattis in the 4th.

I think a future no. 1 WR would be huge to have. Berrian is more of a no. 2, and Bradley is a big ?, and Davis is just a good slot guy. If we could get a Bowe or Jarrett in the first, or a Sidney Rice or Robert Meachem in the 2nd, I'd be ecstatic.

The only OT I think worth drafting at 31 is Joe Staley. But I doubt he would be there. And if OT is really that big of a need for JA, I could see Ugoh at 31, but that is still a reach and the earliest I would take Ugoh is at 37. With Ruben returning, I think we can take our chances with either developing Tyler Reed some more, or drafting someone in the mid rounds. But if someone like Ben Grubbs or Ryan Kalil are there at 37, I probably wouldn't pass them.

Now, the Briggs situation. If we could get a pick between 25-33 and maybe some extra for Briggs, that'd be great. I would not mind either Timmons or Beason in the first if they are there.

Good stuff Bearfan.

I agree with Smokey regarding a future 1 wr needed on the team. While I believe Berrian and Bradley have a high chance of becoming major players on this team we will be in dire need of a possession receiver once Muhammad croaks. He's on the verge. Now would definatelly be a good time to bring in someone so they don't have to immediatelly become a starter. (most draftee's from WR needing 2-3 seasons to mature which will probably be all Muhammad will have in the tank). Jarrett, Meachem, J. Hill, or S. Smith would be huge additions for us.

While I am highly against OL with the first 2 picks I wouldn't complain if we could add another draft pick via the Briggs situation. I do understand that age is a major concern here and youth is greatly needed. I wouldn't mind a player or 2 out of the draft however I wouldn't make it a top concern.

OLB would be a great addition given the players available. Willis, Poz, Timmons, Beason NEEEEEDDD to be in a Bear uni next season. Theyr'e not just needed becuase of the Briggs situation but they'd definatelly add another dimension to the defense as "I" feel that HH is a band aid. Depth is a major concern here.

KBear
03-28-2007, 04:06 AM
Depth at LB is a concern even if Briggs is resigned, so that does need to be addressed. But it does not have to be with one of the top 2 picks, that is if they were to go out and sign a cheap vet who could start until the rookie develops.

That being said, we already have our vets for OL, TE, and WR. So the Bears can wait to draft those positions if they choose to do so at all.

As long as Briggs comes back, there really is no one position that is so far ahead of any other position that needs to be addressed via the draft. Which is a good spot to be in, but it makes predicted who the Bears are going to draft so much harder.

pellepelle_10
03-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Depth at LB is a concern even if Briggs is resigned, so that does need to be addressed. But it does not have to be with one of the top 2 picks, that is if they were to go out and sign a cheap vet who could start until the rookie develops.

That being said, we already have our vets for OL, TE, and WR. So the Bears can wait to draft those positions if they choose to do so at all.

As long as Briggs comes back, there really is no one position that is so far ahead of any other position that needs to be addressed via the draft. Which is a good spot to be in, but it makes predicted who the Bears are going to draft so much harder.

I think it is hard predicting who chicago will select even when they do have needs. They're always throwing curveballs in the draft.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-28-2007, 02:00 PM
What's the deal with Bryan Johnson(FB)?

He's getting cut right? I believe I heard JA is just waiting until he's 100% healthy to release him, so theres no legal issues.

bearsfan_51
03-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Yes that is why. I believe Johnson is already looking into suing the team for encouraging him to play when he was injured so to cut him now would be moronic on their part.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Yes that is why. I believe Johnson is already looking into suing the team for encouraging him to play when he was injured so to cut him now would be moronic on their part.

lol.. thanks for clearing that up.

Johnson is a beast.. We could have used him last year.. Oh well.

Bears_Fan
04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Are we cutting Johnson for health concerns?

Why don't we keep him around after he gets healthy?

Bears_Fan
04-09-2007, 04:52 PM
so are we going BPA?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Are we cutting Johnson for health concerns?

Why don't we keep him around after he gets healthy?

I don't think the organazation is too hot on him after threatning to sue. But I wouldn't mind him back. I think he's very good, but can't be counted on to stay fully healthy all year.

Bears_Fan
04-09-2007, 05:37 PM
I don't think the organazation is too hot on him after threatning to sue. But I wouldn't mind him back. I think he's very good, but can't be counted on to stay fully healthy all year.

Yeah. I guess you are right. It is a shame, though.

Bears_Fan
04-09-2007, 05:46 PM
What about drafting Dallas Baker, WR on Day 2? I would prefer to take a chance on him later, than Sidney Rice in Rd 2.

I think a future no. 1 WR would be huge to have.

awfullyquiet
04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I think it is hard predicting who chicago will select even when they do have needs. They're always throwing curveballs in the draft.

amen. i mean, last year, everyone thought, with their more than anemic offense, the bears have to draft offensive weaponry. hester, dvorack, manning, williams, anderson, because they knew something we didn't. which was grossman was going to be 'the real deal'. okay, maybe a few snickers. but with orton hindering the passing game (not entirely his own fault), and now were on year two of the turner-rexy system. and the fact that the bears seem to find some value in every round last year. fifth round mark anderson? second round hester scored a third as many touchdowns as oakland did as an entire team (half if you count the post season). i think they're gonna skip a WR on day one and focus more on other elements (OLine. and deepining LB, which like it or not, Joe and Wilson aren't good enough to replace one or two LB's. Ayenbadejo is a decent back up and Jamar Williams i think has the tools to be a decent backup right now and possibly improve into a starter role with briggs maybe not playing. But i think thats irrelevent. Third round is when i think they'll be looking for LB.

again, i still don't see a day one WR. if anything the bears might trade for one next year... because, well. we all know, moose is going the way of the buffalo.

bearfan
04-09-2007, 05:55 PM
What about drafting Dallas Baker, WR on Day 2? I would prefer to take a chance on him later, than Sidney Rice in Rd 2.

Oh I would love that so much. As I watched him a tad throught the season, I really like what I saw from him. So a Day 2 pick up of him, I would be estatic

Bears_Fan
04-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Oh I would love that so much. As I watched him a tad throught the season, I really like what I saw from him. So a Day 2 pick up of him, I would be estatic

How late do you think he will last?

pellepelle_10
04-09-2007, 07:01 PM
amen. i mean, last year, everyone thought, with their more than anemic offense, the bears have to draft offensive weaponry. hester, dvorack, manning, williams, anderson, because they knew something we didn't. which was grossman was going to be 'the real deal'. okay, maybe a few snickers. but with orton hindering the passing game (not entirely his own fault), and now were on year two of the turner-rexy system. and the fact that the bears seem to find some value in every round last year. fifth round mark anderson? second round hester scored a third as many touchdowns as oakland did as an entire team (half if you count the post season). i think they're gonna skip a WR on day one and focus more on other elements (OLine. and deepining LB, which like it or not, Joe and Wilson aren't good enough to replace one or two LB's. Ayenbadejo is a decent back up and Jamar Williams i think has the tools to be a decent backup right now and possibly improve into a starter role with briggs maybe not playing. But i think thats irrelevent. Third round is when i think they'll be looking for LB.

again, i still don't see a day one WR. if anything the bears might trade for one next year... because, well. we all know, moose is going the way of the buffalo.

Its a crap shoot for any of us to predict a player. Even Scott Wright stated its a b trying to get info out of the Chicago camp.

I will say that even though WR isn't the biggest need it definatelly has a high level of talent in the late 1st to early 3rd rounds.

OL is a need due to age concerns but I don't "think" Angelo will go that route. I could be wrong though. I see it as a high possibility in the 2nd round though. (even though I'd rather see us get someone out of FA).

OLB is an obvious need even if Briggs decided to stay. Depth at LB stinks. DT seems to be coming together and if we can keep Ian Scott to me its no longer a need. If we can get some stud out of the later round then so be it.

Safety could be addressed for depth concerns especially if they decide to move Manning to CB. No matter how much faith they have in Brown the fact is he's been an injury concern 3 consecutive seasons.

TE is a depth need. I love how many analyst speak as if Des Clark is subpar. The guy has proven himself as a legit pass catching TE if they actually "look" his way. I do believe that they need someone else to aid here. Do I think we need to jump at one in the 1st round? No. If it were Vernon Davis then hell yeah..its not though. Zach Miller in the 2nd? Sure if we get him "late in the 2nd". The guy produced ...true..but getting a guy high than he'll end up being selected is a waste. Again this is just my speculation.

Cornerback is a need if Safety isn't looked at and Manning doesn't move here. Tillman and Vasher are solid and Manning is a stud for (Nickel/Dime only) coverage. When Tillman and Vasher went down it was a disaster in the secondary. It's apparent that one of these guys could be gone next season so it would be smart if we start molding someone to take their position if we can't afford both.

OLB - 1st to 3rd at the latest
DB - 1st to 3rd at the latest
OL - 2nd round at highest
WR - 1st to 3rd at the latest
TE - 2nd round at highest (preferrably 3rd or later)

This is how the priority should go
If someone of high grade is there to select at any position (WR has the highest chance with OLB and DB being next) then we need to just pull the trigger. I can see WR going ahead of any of these positions depending on who is available.

Bears_Fan
04-09-2007, 08:32 PM
How about this? -- more looking at position

1st: Beason, OLB
2nd: Grubbs, OG
3rd: Michael Bush/Kenny Irons, RB
4th: Joe Newton, TE
5th: Dallas Clark, WR
7th: Leonard Peters, S
7th: Chase Johnson, OT

bearsfan_51
04-09-2007, 08:35 PM
How about this?

1st: Beason, OLB
2nd: Grubbs, OG
3rd: Michael Bush/Kenny Irons, RB
4th: Joe Newton, TE
5th: Dallas Clark, WR
7th: Leonard Peters, S
7th: Chase Johnson, OT
Bush or Irons in the late 3rd is probably a bit optimistic (though ya never know). All of your values are good, but I would prefer to spend the 1st pick on a playmaker. If we aren't going to trade Briggs I'd rather not use our first pick on an OLB.

bearsfan_51
04-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Pelle, I very much doubt we will draft someone in secondary on the first day.

Hurricane Ditka
04-09-2007, 10:02 PM
After trading for Archuleta I'd have to agree.

Bears_Fan
04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
I started a speed mock in Fantasy, and someone selected Zach Miller for the Bears. Why do people insist on giving Miller to the Bears?

I like Joe Newton. Scott even describes him as being like Des Clark

Hurricane Ditka
04-10-2007, 09:13 PM
I started a speed mock in Fantasy, and someone selected Zach Miller for the Bears. Why do people insist on giving Miller to the Bears?

I like Joe Newton. Scott even describes him as being like Des Clark
If we're drafting a TE to upgrade and supplement Clark, why would we draft a similar player. Although I don't see the Joe Newton comparison as a very good one. Miller isn't a bad pick, but he isn't a good one either.

Bears_Fan
04-10-2007, 09:30 PM
If we're drafting a TE to upgrade and supplement Clark, why would we draft a similar player. Although I don't see the Joe Newton comparison as a very good one. Miller isn't a bad pick, but he isn't a good one either.

I don't think we need to upgrade and supplant Clark. "They" do. Clark can catch and block, and that is what we need - not a Shockey. I would take Newton to compliment and eventually replace Clark.

pellepelle_10
04-11-2007, 12:55 AM
After trading for Archuleta I'd have to agree.

I'm not just speaking of Safety here. Cornerback depth is also a concern. I can see us taking a look in later rnds but I wouldn't be shocked if Angelo pulled the trigger 2nd or 3rd rnd. I can see where you guys are coming from though.

bearsfan_51
04-11-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm not just speaking of Safety here. Cornerback depth is also a concern. I can see us taking a look in later rnds but I wouldn't be shocked if Angelo pulled the trigger 2nd or 3rd rnd. I can see where you guys are coming from though.

It's a concern, but there are more immediate ones.

Say we resign Tillman and let Vasher walk in '07. They can draft a corner that year in the 1st or 2nd, start Ricky Manning for the first half of the season, and move said rookie (or possibly Danieal Manning) into the starting lineup at that point.

I'm all for drafting to fill future needs, I just think there are more important things to do for right now, and a rookie CB wouldn't even see the field this year.

bearsfan_51
04-11-2007, 11:56 AM
I also added Filip Fillipovic to the depth chart, as this clearly shakes things up tremendously in training camp.

PapaBearHalas
04-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Great posts, everyone.

I agree that LB is a potential problem even with Briggs, but since I have been vocal about getting rid of him that heightens my concern for that position. I also like the WR value at the spots we have right now.

awfullyquiet
04-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Bush or Irons in the late 3rd is probably a bit optimistic (though ya never know). All of your values are good, but I would prefer to spend the 1st pick on a playmaker. If we aren't going to trade Briggs I'd rather not use our first pick on an OLB.

agreed. i'm sure it's been beaten to death... the bears are going to plan on him playing. adjust accordingly post draft.

i think benson is gonna be an every down back, peterson spelling him, and i'd like to see them pick up garrett wolfe from NIU. yeah, critically acclaimed as tiny and only a return man. besides, could get him cheap, the willie parker to duce staley method. plays the up return man since no one will kick to hester anymore. niche back. nothing more though.

CB isn't horribly undermanned right now. dante wesley can sub for ricky manning who can sub for vasher. And hopefully d. manning will find a better niche in there. or learn how to play safety by seeing how men can do it and understanding why he blew up many a-times.

i mean, the DB's are the worst part of our defense, and they're still pretty good. I'm really intrigued on how archuleta and brown will work together.

methinks)

1) joe staley, OT (if he's still there...)
2) beekman/grubbs, OG
2 (other possibility)) Weedle, S, Utah.
3) Hill/Smith/Taylor, WR, WashSt./USC/Aubern
4) Tim Shaw, OLB, PSU.
5) Garrett Wolfe, already mentioned,
7)Kody Bliss, P, Auburn or Brett Smith, WR, Tenn
7)Applewhite, DE, SD St...

notes

#2, #1, i think beekman is still slightly better. i dunno. maybe it's just my BC pride that interferes. or i don't watch enough SEC games. probably a combo of both. if staley's taken, i would mind taking either of those in the #1 slot. and weedle in #2.
#2, #2, if #1 doesn't work out and slide #2 up, i'm not 100% sure staley will be at 29. weedle is good player, great upside. i don't think will play man well enough to warrent sliding to cb, but won't be a liablility like D. Manning was. backfield is stable-ish enough to wait till FA to see what's going on if 1&2 work out.
#3, who knows. not i... I see WR round 3, but that's it.
#7, #1, I still see a punter with a big leg in the future for the franchise. maynard is nice. could even probably pick this guy up as a free agent later. possible.

i'm not proud of it, but it doesn't sound half bad to me. but, more importantly i don't think i'd even have a 1 or 2 right (except for maybe weedle). JA hates to throw draft picks on linemen. but it might be a good time to. I keep nagging about solid BC linemen, and then i shoot myself in the foot every time someone brings up marc columbo.

Bears_Fan
04-11-2007, 11:10 PM
agreed. i'm sure it's been beaten to death... the bears are going to plan on him playing. adjust accordingly post draft.

I think we need OLB anyway, even if Briggs stays. There potentially is good value at the end of the 1st round for OLB, and Hunter needs some competition. Hunter is a good player, but another OLB to compete and/or replace Briggs later would be worth it. Not to mention, the question of injuries and reserves behind the starters at LB.

awfullyquiet
04-12-2007, 02:28 AM
three linebackers are worth taking in the first round.
everything else becomes value bets.

i DOUBT we'll get any of them (timmons, beason, puz) because the high talent pool is so shallow. three linebackers who may make it. drafted by, the bengals, the giants, and either the pats or the steelers (who will crush over timmons his PR skills...) although tomlin might look for a DE/OLB hybrid to span the 3-4/4-3 divide... there's five teams who might look LB first round. maybe six before us (not including the colts). the ones who WILL take a LB are the bengals (uh, what linebackers?), the take the best deal on the table, which won't be puz. I'm saying it'll be Willis or Timmons as the successors to vrabel and bruschi (who i should re-iterate has the best head of hair ever.).

so. if one lands to us. jump on it. i'm doubting it.

Bears_Fan
04-12-2007, 11:13 AM
three linebackers are worth taking in the first round.
everything else becomes value bets.

so. if one lands to us. jump on it. i'm doubting it.

I doubt it too, but stranger things have happened in the 1st Rd.

awfullyquiet
04-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I doubt it too, but stranger things have happened in the 1st Rd.

mario williams

Smokey Joe
04-12-2007, 04:03 PM
This is what I wrote in the Mock Draft Live thread about Scott's latest mock...

If it was between Jarrett and Grubbs for pick 31 for the Bears, I would hope JA would take Jarrett. Ruben Brown has been signed, and both Terrence Metcalf and Roberto Garza are signed long term. And apparently the org. is very high on Tyler Reed who was just drafted last year... OG IS NOT A FIRST ROUND NEED!

If Griffin is there at 37, I don't see how JA could pass him up. Even though they did just get AA and Mike Brown will be returning, I don't think you can pass on a talent like Griffin. And yes, Manning might be moving to CB to either replace Vasher or Tillman, who are both free agents at the end of the year. But, I am not ruling out the possibility of both of them returning.

I have no problem with Quincy Black, but I really think Brandon Jackson is going to be the pick for the Bears in the 3rd if he is there. But I have no problem with Quincy Black in the 3rd. I would say OLB is the biggest need on the team, but there just isn't good value early, and in no way do I think Durant would be worth 31, let alone 37.

pellepelle_10
04-13-2007, 12:19 AM
It's a concern, but there are more immediate ones.

Say we resign Tillman and let Vasher walk in '07. They can draft a corner that year in the 1st or 2nd, start Ricky Manning for the first half of the season, and move said rookie (or possibly Danieal Manning) into the starting lineup at that point.

I'm all for drafting to fill future needs, I just think there are more important things to do for right now, and a rookie CB wouldn't even see the field this year.

They would play on dime situations similar to Vasher his rookie year which isn't bad. Vasher got 5 picks that year. I do see where you're going with this. I will say one thing though. If we went O-Line it would probably be the same if not worse. If we got Grubbs chances are he'd ride the pine until next season also unless he blows away the rest of the lineman in training camp. It's not out of the question but his play would be far less than any CB that can easily play in nickel situations. An O-Lineman would sub in from time to time but would be far more limited than any db. OLB would definatelly be a greater need than both if you ask me. WR would be selected simply due to the talent level and time it takes for WR's to mature in the NFL.

What other positions are you thinking of? If I'm off base on this I'd like to know what you're thinking bearfan_51. Feel free to disect it for me.

pellepelle_10
04-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Great posts, everyone.

I agree that LB is a potential problem even with Briggs, but since I have been vocal about getting rid of him that heightens my concern for that position. I also like the WR value at the spots we have right now.

Agreed 110%. OLB was a problem even if Briggs decided to play. HH is a band-aid and needed to be replaced anyways. JMO

awfullyquiet
04-13-2007, 11:29 AM
They would play on dime situations similar to Vasher his rookie year which isn't bad. Vasher got 5 picks that year. I do see where you're going with this. I will say one thing though. If we went O-Line it would probably be the same if not worse. If we got Grubbs chances are he'd ride the pine until next season also unless he blows away the rest of the lineman in training camp. It's not out of the question but his play would be far less than any CB that can easily play in nickel situations. An O-Lineman would sub in from time to time but would be far more limited than any db. OLB would definatelly be a greater need than both if you ask me. WR would be selected simply due to the talent level and time it takes for WR's to mature in the NFL.

What other positions are you thinking of? If I'm off base on this I'd like to know what you're thinking bearfan_51. Feel free to disect it for me.

that's what i've been saying (albeit elsewhere). that we'd transition from nickle to dime, and that'd further lessen the effect of an MIA briggs and with AA over the top to provide deeper run support.
now... if we were to get a WR... i can see it POSSIBLY happening this way.

briggs, 31, and 37 for 6, 68 and randle el.
i don't like draft pick values but if you do it that way
31+37 = 1150.
6+68 = 1850.
chicago says briggs alone is worth the six.
which would be
31+37+6=2350.
randle el right now... could be traded for a mid second round pick (a la TJ)...
so, 6+68+45=2300...
this solidifies briggs, gives chicago a proven receiver. gets the skins out of the huge contract with randle el, lets snyder throw around even more money with two high draft picks that he can shuffle off for a free agent... and use it to trade up. while the bears trade down and pick up basically anyone they damn well please, like top LB talent, Joe Staley, whomever. They're not looking RB, DT, QB, WR round one, so, everything else is on the table and theirs for the picking. i mean, with all consideration, they can trade down to the G-men, the Texans, or the Fins without too much issue (the g-men might be shaky. but i'm sure they could come to some deal granting more mid-round wishes)

this is what i come up with at four in the morning. whoa. (although this will probably not post till about ten-thirty when my network decides to start working again.)

Hurricane Ditka
04-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Agreed 110%. OLB was a problem even if Briggs decided to play. HH is a band-aid and needed to be replaced anyways. JMO
Hillenmeyer is a solid 2 down player, and the Bears can't afford to pay 3 big linebacker salaries.

awfullyquiet
04-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Hillenmeyer is a solid 2 down player, and the Bears can't afford to pay 3 big linebacker salaries.

and any first round OLB pick will probably cost as much as hunter does.

pellepelle_10
04-17-2007, 05:52 PM
and any first round OLB pick will probably cost as much as hunter does.

this is true as a 1st rnd pick "should" also outperform hunters lowly contributions. No different than a 1st rnd pick for any other position. This is the reason behind drafting them this high. With a 1st rnd pick I'm hoping they can perform as well as if not better than Briggs not Hunter. I'm sure this is what Angelo would "hope" if he decides to go this route also. To me..if you expect a linebacker to perform to HH's level you're not asking much at all. This is a horrible expectation. HH stinks. I would expect a 3rd rounder to surpass this expectation and with Angelo's success of late heck I'd expect a 5th rounder to surpass it.

bearsfan_51
04-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Updated. The last roster spot or two are purely up for speculation so feel free to add your opinion.

Smokey Joe
04-29-2007, 01:01 AM
51... you should also put in some sort of denotion for rookies. Like + or something.

bearsfan_51
04-29-2007, 01:35 AM
51... you should also put in some sort of denotion for rookies. Like + or something.

Thanks. Noted.

bearsfan_51
05-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Updated with roster additions.

sweetness34
05-02-2007, 03:41 PM

Nice call 51.

bearsfan_51
05-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Nice call 51.
Haha...I also told Smokey it would be a bad idea to draft two secondary guys on the second day. Oh well. We do tend to stockpile secondary players to assist on special teams, and I'm willing to bet that the FO is sick of Dante Welsey's whining about playing time and generally lackluster special teams play.

Thanks though.

IBleedNavyandOrange
05-02-2007, 06:28 PM
This is a great OP, yanno? I think Staggs has a shot at a roster spot, though safety is pretty stacked anymore. I have a feeling he'll make the practice squad, along with Reed again.

KBear
05-02-2007, 11:35 PM
I think Mike Brown is going to start the year on the PUP list, just basing on what his injury was and it usually takes a full year to heal. It will at least save a roster spot, using your depth charts, I'll go with Wesley for now.

Plus Currie most likely will get hurt, as he normally does, so he will make the team via the PUP list. Depending on the injury, he could alway be taken off the list, after the 6th game I think, if Hass is not showing enough, or who ever is the 5th wr or just who ever in general. Or he could just get put on the IR again.

bearsfan_51
05-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Yeah I originally had Brown as PUP eligible, but they are saying he should be ready to go so we'll see.

SFbear
05-07-2007, 12:52 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3398

Airese Currie has been released and 6 new free agents have been signed.

"The group includes Maryland running back Josh Allen, Northwestern State defensive tackle Tory Collins, Grambling cornerback Greg Fassitt, Virginia tight end Fontel Mines, California cornerback Tim Mixon and Nebraska safety Andrew Shanle."

bearsfan_51
05-07-2007, 01:00 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3398

Airese Currie has been released and 6 new free agents have been signed.

"The group includes Maryland running back Josh Allen, Northwestern State defensive tackle Tory Collins, Grambling cornerback Greg Fassitt, Virginia tight end Fontel Mines, California cornerback Tim Mixon and Nebraska safety Andrew Shanle."
I beat you by about 10 seconds.;)

SFbear
05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
I beat you by about 10 seconds.;)

Dammit. I almost felt special for a few minutes. And so ends the legend that was Airese Currie. I hate that we waited forever for this guy to get healthy and then when he's supposedly ready to go we cut him.

bearfan
05-07-2007, 07:00 PM
I guess this Mines guy has looked GREAT, and was one of the pleasant surprises of the Rookie Minicamp. Catches everything that came his way...looks like Olson will have a run for his money ;). In seriousness, it would be cool if Olson and this Mines guy depending on how the both are would be in a 2 TE set.

bearsfan_51
05-07-2007, 08:58 PM
I think Mines still has a lot more to prove to make the final roster. Basically he would have to convince the team to keep four tightends, as I don't see Clark getting cut unless the team is completely sold on Olsen off the bat, and Gilmore is as important of a blocker now as he's even been.

People have to keep in mind that Mines is a converted wide reciever, and his playing weight in college was about 220, 30 pounds less than Olsen who a lot of people consider to not have enough bulk. I don't know how much Mines has already bulked up, but that's asking a player to do a lot.

Could be a good practice squad prospect though.

RexGrossmanRules8
05-08-2007, 05:40 PM
I think Greg Olsen was a better pick than any of the Wide Outs that were left.

We was in NEED of a Tight End, Clarke is getting old and is average any way, no matter what kind of year he had last year, Olsen was the best pick of the entire 1st round! What I mean is, at the position we was in, and we got him..best value!

awfullyquiet
05-08-2007, 08:09 PM
that and he wouldn't be impossible to drop out in the slot in situations.

iowatreat54
05-17-2007, 09:18 PM
I think Greg Olsen was a better pick than any of the Wide Outs that were left.

We was in NEED of a Tight End, Clarke is getting old and is average any way, no matter what kind of year he had last year, Olsen was the best pick of the entire 1st round! What I mean is, at the position we was in, and we got him..best value!

for the love of god...WERE not WAS...WERE...

sorry that post just struck a nerve... lol

awfullyquiet
05-23-2007, 04:19 PM
"The Bears on Saturday released tight end Richard Angulo, wide receiver Jayson Swain and running back Gerald Riggs, Jr.. Angulo spent the final five weeks of last season on Chicago’s practice squad. Swain was waived after he left the team and Riggs had been playing in NFL Europa."

just to note the update. they neglected to put the Jr. after GR.

neko4
05-23-2007, 07:09 PM
"The Bears on Saturday released tight end Richard Angulo, wide receiver Jayson Swain and running back Gerald Riggs, Jr.. Angulo spent the final five weeks of last season on Chicago’s practice squad. Swain was waived after he left the team and Riggs had been playing in NFL Europa."

just to note the update. they neglected to put the Jr. after GR.

I was about to say, why would anyone release Gerald Riggs.jk
I thought he was pretty good in college, what happen to him?

jj45
05-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey does anyone else think
Chris leak and david ball should make the roster. I know leak is short but he has been short all his life and he was more highly recurited then brady quinn. And he played in the sec which by far is the toughest conference in college. He put up good numbers in college not great but good. And I think he might be better then grossman. And he can run. Now Ball was a divison 2 player but a lot of dreat nfl players have played d2. But none of them have broken any of jerry rice's records. He can out jump any of our recievers and he has great hands. And since bradley is hurt so much and moose is old he could be a great red zone target and he is good insurance for injuries.

dabears10
05-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Hey does anyone else think
Chris leak and david ball should make the roster. I know leak is short but he has been short all his life and he was more highly recurited then brady quinn. And he played in the sec which by far is the toughest conference in college. He put up good numbers in college not great but good. And I think he might be better then grossman. And he can run. Now Ball was a divison 2 player but a lot of dreat nfl players have played d2. But none of them have broken any of jerry rice's records. He can out jump any of our recievers and he has great hands. And since bradley is hurt so much and moose is old he could be a great red zone target and he is good insurance for injuries.

No. 10char

awfullyquiet
05-24-2007, 03:22 AM
I was about to say, why would anyone release Gerald Riggs.jk
I thought he was pretty good in college, what happen to him?

Green Bay will sign him, and he'll come back to haunt us.

bearsfan_51
06-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Updated. If we sign Obafemi to the roster (and I suspect we will) then we'll go back to having 2 fullbacks. I think it's even more likely that we carry 2 fullbacks on the active roster since Gabe Reid is gone, and nobody else on the roster fits that hybrid mold.

Untill then, however, congrats go out to Dante Wesley for not being cut yet.

Antonio Garay looks to also have a nice 6 week run with the club as Tank is going to be at home (or most likely in a press box or something). Hopefully no DT gets injured in camp *knock on wood* because we are currently down to either Tony Collins or switching Israel Indonije to DT fulltime.

bearsfan_51
06-11-2007, 05:15 PM
The questionable trade of Alex Brown, I'd put it at about 60/40, could open up an interesting roster spot for someone else, probably another special teamer like Wesley, Brandon McGowan, or Leon Joe. I have a hard time believing that we'll carry somebody like Copeland Bryan just to have 9 defensive lineman, which always seemed like overkill to me anyway.

awfullyquiet
06-13-2007, 05:10 AM
Untill then, however, congrats go out to Dante Wesley for not being cut yet.

anyone wanna make an over/under on his release date?

NYmoney
06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
The questionable trade of Alex Brown, I'd put it at about 60/40, could open up an interesting roster spot for someone else, probably another special teamer like Wesley, Brandon McGowan, or Leon Joe. I have a hard time believing that we'll carry somebody like Copeland Bryan just to have 9 defensive lineman, which always seemed like overkill to me anyway.

no way the bears keep 9 dl. i completely agree. no way. that's like keeping 5 qb's.

bearsfan_51
06-15-2007, 03:52 AM
no way the bears keep 9 dl. i completely agree. no way. that's like keeping 5 qb's.
They did last year. It's actually not that uncommon (though usually teams only keep 8). I could see us keeping 9 when Tank comes back but there's really no need for the first six games.

Bearsfan123
07-20-2007, 03:34 PM
im dragging my WR talk in here. I say we are more likely to carry 5 WRs for the sole reason of we are going to be carrying an extra Olineman come the season (Beekman) more than last season.

bearsfan_51
07-20-2007, 03:44 PM
im dragging my WR talk in here. I say we are more likely to carry 5 WRs for the sole reason of we are going to be carrying an extra Olineman come the season (Beekman) more than last season.
No we aren't. Anthony Oakley was on the active roster all season last year. I'm assuming that Beekman simply takes his spot. In fact I wouldn't be suprised if Beekman sees no action at all next year. He's currently the 4th interior O-lineman on the roster and teams rarely carry more than 3 on a gameday roster.

Bearsfan123
07-20-2007, 08:01 PM
No we aren't. Anthony Oakley was on the active roster all season last year. I'm assuming that Beekman simply takes his spot. In fact I wouldn't be suprised if Beekman sees no action at all next year. He's currently the 4th interior O-lineman on the roster and teams rarely carry more than 3 on a gameday roster.

whos anthony oakley? Didnt we trade him to the Browns last year?

bearsfan_51
07-20-2007, 08:03 PM
whos anthony oakley? Didnt we trade him to the Browns last year?
No that was Lennie Friedman. Oakley beat out Steve Edwards (and Friedman) as our 8th lineman last year in training camp.

Bearsfan123
07-20-2007, 09:08 PM
No that was Lennie Friedman. Oakley beat out Steve Edwards (and Friedman) as our 8th lineman last year in training camp.

ah lol but i see now. but i still say we will probably carry more DBs for STs then an extra WR.

Smokey Joe
07-20-2007, 10:07 PM
My projection for the Depth Chart/Roster:

QB: Grossman, Griese, Orton
RB: Benson, Peterson, Wolfe (Hester)
FB: McKie, O. Ayanbadejo
WR: Muhammed, Berrian, Bradley, Davis, Hester, Hass
TE: Olsen, Davis, Gilmore
T: Tait, Miller, St. Clair
LG: R. Brown, Garza, Beekman, Metcalf
C: Kreutz (Garza/Beekman/Metcalf)
DE: Ogunleye, A. Brown, M. Anderson, D. Bazuin (Idonije)
DT: T. Harris, Adams, Dvorack, Idonije, Garay
WL: J. Williams, Okwo, Briggs{Holdout}
ML: Urlacher, B. Ayanbadejo
SL: Hillenmeyer, R. Wilson
CB: Tillman, Vasher, Manning Jr., (D. Manning), Graham
S: M. Brown, Archuleta, D. Manning, Harris, Payne
K: Gould
P: Maynard
LS: Mannaley

Now, by my count that is 53. If Briggs sits out the first 10 games, I don't see him playing a single down with the Bears this season.

bearsfan_51
07-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Smokey you realize your DC is the exact same as mine right? Haha..

Smokey Joe
07-20-2007, 11:49 PM
great minds think alike...

Bearsfan123
07-21-2007, 11:03 AM

WR: Muhammed, Berrian, Bradley, Davis, Hester, Hass CHANGE TO
CB: Tillman, Vasher, Manning Jr., (D. Manning), Graham, Add MCBRIDE

Now, by my count that is 53. If Briggs sits out the first 10 games, I don't see him playing a single down with the Bears this season.

sorry i dont know how to bold things anymore. But yeah, we drafted McBride and I heard hes looked pretty good and would be a decent STer. So i think we will carry him over Hass.

Smokey Joe
07-22-2007, 12:49 AM
sorry i dont know how to bold things anymore. But yeah, we drafted McBride and I heard hes looked pretty good and would be a decent STer. So i think we will carry him over Hass.
Ot could be either or... it isn't like one of them will be the key to us winning the superbowl.

Bearsfan123
07-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Ot could be either or... it isn't like one of them will be the key to us winning the superbowl.

well if he turns into a STs ace.... lol i know im just pointing out that it would probably be more to our benefit to carry an extra DB over a WR.

bearsfan_51
07-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah keeping another CB is certainly a possibility. I just think that with the option of moving Manning to CB always being present we likely won't carry more than 4.

But yeah..it really comes down to special teams.

Smokey Joe
07-23-2007, 12:34 AM
disappointed in your new sig 51.. not only that, but it was made by a packersfan. a gbpackersfan on top of it all.

bearsfan_51
07-23-2007, 12:37 AM
disappointed in your new sig 51.. not only that, but it was made by a packersfan. a gbpackersfan on top of it all.

What's wrong with the Gophers? I was unaware they had a rivalry with Illinois.

Race for the Heisman
07-25-2007, 08:22 PM

WR: Muhammed, Berrian, Bradley, Davis, Hester, Hass
CB: Tillman, Vasher, Manning Jr., (D. Manning), Graham

Is Davis a nickname for Desmond Clark that I am unaware of or have you forgetten him?

Smokey Joe
07-26-2007, 01:07 AM
Is Davis a nickname for Desmond Clark that I am unaware of or have you forgetten him?
obviously a brain fart... of course I meant Clark.

Bearsfan123
08-03-2007, 10:39 AM
yeah now that im all hyped up for the season ive now started looking forward to next years draft =3 Our two biggest needs are OT and S i believe.

bearfan
08-03-2007, 11:24 AM
yeah now that im all hyped up for the season ive now started looking forward to next years draft =3 Our two biggest needs are OT and S i believe.

I would also look at WR and possibly QB depending on Grossman's play this season. After Moose retires, I dont think that we have a legitimate #1, and if anyone comes close to it, it would be Bradley IMO based on how he has been when he is healthy, and if he continues to Progress. Hester could also be a possibility if he pans out at WR. Like a steve smith. Berrian I would want to stay at #2, or if Bradley surpasses him, #3 would be dec also. Berrian is also in a contract year, so who knows if he gets to play for us next year (I hope he does).

bearsfan_51
08-03-2007, 02:39 PM
How in the world could you put Bradley over Berrian. Berrian is already hands-down the best WR on the team. Who cares if he's skinny? The guy is downright incredible sometimes. What we need to do is resign him, and I question why we're giving 5 year contracts to guys like Darwin Walker when we haven't even resigned our own.

But yes, I agree, the top two needs are easily OT and WR assuming Grossman does well enough and resigns. If not then it's QB first and the next two.

bearsfan_51
08-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Taking a quick look at our roster this time vs. last year, I think that we've improved in talent. Granted that's the case with every team at this point in the year before injuries and age sets in...buuuut still.

Lose: Thomas Jones
Gain: Garrett Wolfe

Ok clearly a loss here.

Lose: Tank Johnson
Gain: Darwin Walker

Talent wise about a draw. Tank is younger but his career in the NFL is probably over so I'll go Darwin.

Lose: Ian Scott
Gain: Anthony Adams

I like Adams' upside over Ian's. He was out of place in San Fran but I think if given the chance he could be a factor.

Lose: Alphonso Boone
Gain: Dusty Dvorack

I actually really liked Boone, and it looks like he's going to start in KC. I'll call this one a draw as well.

Lose: Gabe Reid
Gain: Greg Olsen

Hmmm....tough one.

Lose: Todd Johnson
Gain: Adam Archuleta

Todd is better than people give him credit for, but he's basically a poor man's Archuleta.

Lose: Chris Harris
Gain: Kevin Payne

Harris is more proven so I'll give him the nod, but they appear to be basically the same player.

Lose: Cameron Worrell
Gain: Brandon McGowan

Meh...draw.

Lose: Justin Gage
Gain: Devin Hester

Technically we're losing Devin on defense but he never did anything anyway. He's obviously a much different player than Justin, but we never got anything out of him last year anyway so anything would be an improvement.

Lose: Antonio Garay
Gain: Dan Bazuin

Although they play different positions, Bazuin is essentially taking the 4th DE spot, bumping Idonije to a 3rd down DT, and making Garay the odd man out. I think Bazuin could be one of those rookie IR additions (as could Wolfe) because they are already missing too much camp and neither sounds very ready to contribute this year.

Lost: Anthony Oakley
Gain: Josh Beekman

I don't expect Beekman to play at all this year, but you gotta figure his upside is better than Oakley's.

Lose: Leon Joe (or Rod Wilson)
Gain: Michael Okwo

All can play special teams, but Okwo looks to be the only one with potential to start, and I predict will beat out Jamar Williams next year in replacing Briggs.

bearfan
08-03-2007, 05:10 PM
How in the world could you put Bradley over Berrian. Berrian is already hands-down the best WR on the team. Who cares if he's skinny? The guy is downright incredible sometimes. What we need to do is resign him, and I question why we're giving 5 year contracts to guys like Darwin Walker when we haven't even resigned our own.

But yes, I agree, the top two needs are easily OT and WR assuming Grossman does well enough and resigns. If not then it's QB first and the next two.

Im not saying right now. But I think Bradley has potential to be the #1. He has the height, speed, and playmaking ability to be it. Maybe a bit like Donald Driver? I love berrian, and I hope that they both pan out well w/o injury this year

Smokey Joe
08-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Lose: Antonio Garay
Gain: Dan Bazuin

Although they play different positions, Bazuin is essentially taking the 4th DE spot, bumping Idonije to a 3rd down DT, and making Garay the odd man out. I think Bazuin could be one of those rookie IR additions (as could Wolfe) because they are already missing too much camp and neither sounds very ready to contribute this year.

I could see Bazuin being a rookie IR, but from what I have heard is that Wolfe has really impressed in camp so far, and there is no one else to take his spot.

bearsfan_51
08-03-2007, 07:40 PM
I could see Bazuin being a rookie IR, but from what I have heard is that Wolfe has really impressed in camp so far, and there is no one else to take his spot.
Wolfe has impressed? He's been sidelined since the first day of camp.

Smokey Joe
08-03-2007, 07:45 PM
oh yeah, as for the Draft, if Grossman preforms well enough and is resigned, then OT is our biggest need. If not, then QB will be our biggest need. Hopefully it won't be the later but rather the earlier. It would be nice to draft a LT with our first round pick, move Tait back over to RT, and cut Miller to free up some cap.

Question is, if Grossman fails, do we sign the best QB in free agency and wait on drafting a QB, or do we go with Griese/Orton and draft a QB first round?

As for Beekman, I think he could make an interesting battle at RG this season. But Garza will likely come out on top and Beekman and Metcalf will serve as the backup guards and center. My question is what about LG after Brown likely leaves next year? Garza, Metcalf, and Beekman are all pretty much RG's...

Bearsfan123
08-03-2007, 11:55 PM
actually if the OT pool is as deep as it should be id take a Safety first. then pick up an OT in the second.

bearsfan_51
08-04-2007, 12:13 AM
actually if the OT pool is as deep as it should be id take a Safety first. then pick up an OT in the second.
Safety is not a 1st round pick need. Even if Brown gets hurt again or Archuleta doesn't work out, it's too early to give up on Manning.

bearsfan_51
09-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Roster is finalized. I was dead barring placing Bazuin on IR (which I had suspected similar to what they did with Dvorack last year) and replacing him with an extra linebacker (McGlover). I'd brag but it was pretty obvious since July what the roster was going to look like, only a few judgements calls.

As far as placing Bazuin on IR, I liked the move but would have prefered that they keep Mark Levoir as an extra OL that they could groom. Hopefully he'll clear waivers and want to come back on the practice squad.

awfullyquiet
09-03-2007, 10:17 PM
who woulda thought dusty would start over walker?

very very expensive rotation backup DT.

bearsfan_51
09-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Too bad about Okwo, I was looking forward to seeing if he could contribute this year.

bearfan
09-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Too bad about Okwo, I was looking forward to seeing if he could contribute this year.

Wait, what happened to him?

Bearsfan123
09-04-2007, 11:44 PM
he was placed on IR

Smokey Joe
09-09-2007, 09:41 PM
If Grossman sucks this season, I want to see a trade up for Andre' Woodson...

bearsfan_51
09-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Updated to reflect injuries (sigh)...I'm sure we'll call up Garay from the PS. Who knows about the other roster spot.

bearsfan_51
09-10-2007, 02:47 PM
51 have you seen a link confirming that Dusty's injury is a tear, I haven't been able to find one.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d802385a8&template=with-video&confirm=true

By the way, can you unsticky those threads? Some of them haven't been posted in months.

Hurricane Ditka
09-10-2007, 02:49 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d802385a8&template=with-video&confirm=true

By the way, can you unsticky those threads? Some of them haven't been posted in months.
Well I'm not here very often, so I haven't got around to it.

Smokey Joe
09-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Updated to reflect injuries (sigh)...I'm sure we'll call up Garay from the PS. Who knows about the other roster spot.
We might see Greg Fassit signed off the practice squad, or perhaps there is a safety or DB on some other team's PS that the org. likes.

I don't know about you, but I think the Dusty injury hurts us more then the Brown injury.

Smokey Joe
09-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Also, IIRC, Graham and McBride could also play FS as well. So, at least we have a lot of versatility and depth at DB.

bearsfan_51
09-22-2007, 01:06 PM
I updated the depth chart, adding current age (according to the Bears website) and how long they are under contract.

That should add another dimension when considering holes we might need to fill.

bearsfan_51
11-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Bizump.....

VoteLynnSwan
11-12-2007, 12:29 PM
it's amazing how many guys we've got signed for another 2 or 3 year who we really need to get rid of...

bearsfan_51
12-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Did one excluding all of the 2007 Free Agents, just to give an idea of where our roster would sit.

Quarterbacks- Will keep 2/3
1)Brian Griese
2)Kyle Orton

Runningbacks-Will keep 3/4
1)Cedric Benson
2)Adrian Peterson
3)Garrett Wolfe
4)P.J Pope

Fullbacks-Will keep 1/2
1)Jason McKie
2)Lousaka Polite
3)J.D Runnels
4)Quantrine Hill

ReceiversWill keep 4-6
1)Muhsin Muhammad
2)Devin Hester
3)Mark Bradley
4)Mike Hass

Tight Ends-Will keep 2/3
1)Greg Olsen
2)Desmond Clark
3)Fontel Mines

Offensive TacklesWill keep 3/4
1)John Tait
2)Fred Miller
3)John St. Clair
4)Ryan Gibbons

Interior Offensive LineWill keep 4/5
1)Olin Kruetz
2)Roberto Garza
3)Terrence Metcalf
4)Josh Beekman
5)Tyler Reed
6)Mike Jones

Defensive Ends-Will keep 4/5
1)Adewale Ogunleye
2)Mark Anderson
3)Alex Brown
4)Dan Bazuin
5)Israel Idonije
6)Chris Frome

Defensive Tackle-Will keep 4/5
1)Tommie Harris
2)Dusty Dvoracek
3)Darwin Walker
4)Anthony Adams
5)Jimmy Kennedy
6)Babatunde Oshinowo
7)Matt Toeaina

LinebackersWill keep 6-8
1)Brian Urlacher
2)Hunter Hillenmeyer
3)Jamar Williams
4)Mike Okwo
5)Rod Wilson
6)Nick Roach

Cornerbacks-Will keep 5/6
1)Charles Tillman
2)Nathan Vasher
3)Ricky Manning Jr
4)Trumaine McBride
5)Corey Graham
6)Ade Jimoh
7)Greg Fassitt

Safties-Will keep 4/5
1)Mike Brown
2)Danieal Manning
3)Adam Archuleta
4)Kevin Payne
5)Josh Gattis
6)Leonard Peters

bearsfan_51
01-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Updated on first page for free agency.

awfullyquiet
01-21-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm really irritated with the DE position.

I still think we shouldn't get rid of alex brown, because he's good against the run and we've had so many damn problems stopping the run. If we're able to have some headway in it. I'd say **** it. Ship him. He had a fantastic year, and would probably get a 3rd rounder this year. Because I don't think anyone in the FO though he'd have a great year like he did this year. But. Bazuin hasn't proven anything. It's a weird tough situation.

pellepelle_10
01-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm really irritated with the DE position.

I still think we shouldn't get rid of alex brown, because he's good against the run and we've had so many damn problems stopping the run. If we're able to have some headway in it. I'd say **** it. Ship him. He had a fantastic year, and would probably get a 3rd rounder this year. Because I don't think anyone in the FO though he'd have a great year like he did this year. But. Bazuin hasn't proven anything. It's a weird tough situation.

I agree 100% w/u. Many thought that Mark Anderson would emerge as a top tier DE this year and he really fizzled this year. Our run support was the worst and when Alex had his chance to prove his worth he shined. I think that we should keep him as insurance because nobody knows what Bazuin will do. If he flops we may have another position of concern for depth. I think we should give Brown a shot at retaining his starting position next year because he definatelly looked like he deserved it.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-23-2008, 12:26 AM
How many times did you guys scream or pull out your hair at Anderson biting on the play fake and totally blowing containment.

Until he upgrades his football IQ he should not be starting over Alex Brown.. I was in favor of him grabbing the spot last year, but it turned out to be a bad decision.. Brown played really good football all year imo.

bearsfan_51
01-23-2008, 12:33 AM
I'd still take Anderson any day. Alex Brown is so incredibly average. Just another player that Bears fans fall in love with and think is much better than he actually is (see Mike Brown). I like the guy personally, he seems like a real stand up dude, but when you average 6-7 sacks a season over a 6 year career, starting almost every game, you aren't a starting defensive end, particularly in our defense.

Anderson may not be the answer, but I know for a fact that Alex Brown is not.

bearsfan_51
01-23-2008, 12:34 AM
By the way, FYI, the updated page is the 1st page in this thread.

regoob2
01-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Anderson might end up being better and might be the better pass rusher but it doesnt matter about the pass when Anderson doesnt contain the cut back and we give up 200 rushing yards a game. I'd prefer Brown to be the starter next year for the same reason I want Orton to start, we just seem to play better with these guys in game.

BeerBaron
01-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Anderson might end up being better and might be the better pass rusher but it doesnt matter about the pass when Anderson doesnt contain the cut back and we give up 200 rushing yards a game. I'd prefer Brown to be the starter next year for the same reason I want Orton to start, we just seem to play better with these guys in game.

hellz yes! i think anderson needs to stick to being a situational pass rusher like he was as a rookie and let someone with more all around skill handle the non-passing downs...

pellepelle_10
01-23-2008, 01:12 PM

he has worked very well as a situational pass rusher. We can use him similar to how Green Bay would use Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila. If he proves he can be more than just a situational pass rusher then let him prove it. As for now Brown is more complete.

awfullyquiet
01-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Bingo. And it doesn't hurt to have a situational pass rusher. Truth be told, we also played against a lot better left tackles this year. That's another reason for him looking 'average'. But the fact we have 2 situational pass rushers is the part that doesn't make sense.

But it shouldn't matter.

As much as BF51 thinks he's right. If the linebackers can't tackle, having Anderson will be pretty useless in the way they planned to use him at the beginning of the year. He also needs to get stronger, that i can't mention enough either... Anderson is good. He's just not yet. He has no balance, and the inside of our line gets eaten up because of him.

side note. we blitzed more off the edge this year causing anderson to get less 'sacks', and urlacher and briggs piled up some.

bearsfan_51
01-25-2008, 09:57 AM
As much as BF51 thinks he's right.
Ha. You guys aren't even disagreeing with me. I never said Anderson was the answer. I said Alex Brown is not. He's had what, 5-6 years to prove himself as a starting DE in the league? He hasn't done that.

In our system, if you are a starting DE you HAVE to get at least 8-10 sacks per year, preferably much more than that. It doesn't matter how you play against the run. I mean, it does, but that is an extreme secondary concern. Defensive ends aren't paid to stop the run. That's a direct quote from Lovie Smith.

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Bye bye Moose.

regoob2
02-24-2008, 10:14 PM
So whatever happened to JD Runnels?

bearsfan_51
02-24-2008, 10:20 PM
He's on the team as far as I can tell. There was an injury settlement of some sorts but I'm pretty sure he's still under contract.

bearsfan_51
03-20-2008, 01:25 AM
My very quick projection for our gameday roster (45) and full roster (53) for next season. Doesn't look like there will be any notable cuts, as we already got the older guys out of the way. Obviously some of the guys at positions (Idonije, Wolfe, Davis, Manning Jr) will play special teams as well.

The biggest question in my mind is if we go WR or DT early enough to be real contributors on gameday. The NT position is one of real intrigue going into the draft.

Quarterback (2)- Orton, Grossman

Runningback (3)- Benson, Draft Pick¸ Wolfe

Fullback (1)- McKie

Tight End (2)- Clark, Olson

Wide Receivers (4)- Booker, Hester, Bradley, Davis

Offensive Line (7)- Tait, Kruetz, Garza, Beekman, Draft Pick, Draft Pick, St. Clair

Defensive Line (7)- O-Gun, Tommie, Dusty, Anthony Adams, Alex Brown, Mark Anderson, Israel Idonije

Linebackers (3)- Urlacher, Briggs, Hunter

Secondary (5)- Tillman, Vasher, Manning Jr, D.Manning, Mike Brown

Special Teams (3)- Gould, Maynard, Patrick

Special Teams (8)- Adrian Peterson, McGowan, Jamar Williams, Kevin Payne, McBride, Graham, Okwo, Rod Wilson

Players not on gameday roster (8)- Drafted Quarterback, Drafted Receiver, 3rd Tight End, Matt Toeaina, Nick Roach, J.D Runnels, Late round pick, Late round pick

awfullyquiet
03-20-2008, 03:15 AM
bf, did you forget arch?

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Updated the roster (first page) and modified it to predict the final 53 man roster. For those curious, my last guy to make the cut is Benson. It's 50/50 that we keep four runningbacks IMO, and Benson offers nothing on special teams.

Also not sure if Terry Metcalf will get cut over the two rookies, but it's a possibility if they feel comfortable with Beekman or St.Clair at guard. Remember, they benched Metcalf for St.Clair at guard last year and St.Clair was a large improvement.

I like Anthony Adams, but I think they'll go with Toneia as a bottom of the roster type guy.

Of course a few guys will go on IR, and there may be a UDFA to make the roster as well.

Geo
08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Bears will release Dan Bazuin. (http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/08/bears_inform_bazuin_he_will_be.html) Somewhat surprising, although obviously the knee injuries were the major, unpredictable factor. Hopefully he can get another chance elsewhere, he had a lot of potential coming out. I'd like to see Colts check him out this year or next.

Also Mike Hass. (http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/08/bears_to_let_go_wr_hass.html)

BeerBaron
08-29-2008, 01:40 PM
The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Bears will release Dan Bazuin. (http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/08/bears_inform_bazuin_he_will_be.html) Somewhat surprising, although obviously the knee injuries were the major, unpredictable factor. Hopefully he can get another chance elsewhere, he had a lot of potential coming out. I'd like to see Colts check him out this year or next.

Also Mike Hass. (http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/08/bears_to_let_go_wr_hass.html)

waste of a 2nd rounder if I ever saw one......

Don't recall who all else was available when we made that pick but I bet there was at least someone who could be competing for our starting LG job or RT possibly

bearsfan_51
08-29-2008, 02:09 PM
That's a damn shame.

As for who was available, I wanted Brandon Jackson, but he hasn't exactly lit the Packers on fire either.

Thanks for the info Geo.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-29-2008, 02:34 PM
waste of a 2nd rounder if I ever saw one......

Don't recall who all else was available when we made that pick but I bet there was at least someone who could be competing for our starting LG job or RT possibly

JA traded back from #37 -

Players who were available at #37 include:

Justin Blalock, Tony Ugoh, Ryan Kalil, Samson Satele.

Ugoh, Blalock, Satele look like pretty good players.. I was high on Blalock personally and I know a few others were here too.

It was a total blunder pick by JA and was pretty obvious at the time.

bearsfan_51
08-29-2008, 02:37 PM
I dunno...I'll never disagree with trading back, and that trade also got us three more players (granted none of them have set the world on fire either, but you never know). As far as the value chart goes, Jerry got a great deal.

In fact, I think almost all of us supported him trading down at the time, regardless of who they picked.

I did like Sidney Rice an awful lot though.

Geo
08-29-2008, 02:44 PM
If only you could have the benefit of hindsight when drafting. Angelo can't be blamed for the knee injuries, surgeries, swelling, etcetera that Bazuin experienced the last two years.

awfullyquiet
08-29-2008, 02:53 PM

ultra-lame

BeerBaron
08-29-2008, 03:44 PM
I dunno...I'll never disagree with trading back, and that trade also got us three more players (granted none of them have set the world on fire either, but you never know). As far as the value chart goes, Jerry got a great deal.

In fact, I think almost all of us supported him trading down at the time, regardless of who they picked.

I did like Sidney Rice an awful lot though.

i wasn't so upset with the trade down but there just had to be guys even there who could be helping out on this team now.

just looking over it, we could have found uses for guys who were available including OT James Marten, OT Ryan Harris, a whole bunch of receivers, and, though we didn't know it at the time, a few running backs like Brandon Jackson and Lorenzo Booker could even have helped.

Geo
08-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Not a fan of Ryan Harris myself, and especially not for the Bears. He's a much better fit where he is with the Broncos imo.

I still think Chris Williams will be a very good if not great starting left tackle for the Bears.

BeerBaron
08-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Not a fan of Ryan Harris myself, and especially not for the Bears. He's a much better fit where he is with the Broncos imo.

I still think Chris Williams will be a very good if not great starting left tackle for the Bears.

No, I know that...but Harris was just an example of a player who would be helping a lot more than Bazuin at a position we could have used depth at even at that time.

bearsfan_51
08-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, I don't think we're nearly as set as DE as we like to think we are. For a defense that relies heavily on pressure from the d-line, we really only have one guy (O-Gun) that is a pass-rusher that doesn't get plowed over in the run game. Brown is just not a great starter for our defense, you can't get his limited sack numbers and every be considered the answer, and until Anderson can prove that he's not made out of feathers against the run, he'll remain a situational guy.

Considering that O-Gun is over 30 and has one year left on his contract, a 1st round pick of DE wouldn't suprise me at all this year.

Geo
08-29-2008, 08:05 PM
The Bears have waived linebacker Michael Okwo. (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/08/bears-cut-okwo.html)

I am definitely surprised to hear this, the Bears must be very deep at linebacker. I hope the Colts can snatch him up to back up Freddy Keiaho at WLB.

bearsfan_51
08-29-2008, 08:29 PM
God damn it. I really liked Okwo, although there were questions about his ability to play special teams.

I'm really not a fan of cutting bait on guys you just drafted last year, especially in the first three rounds. Things are really not looking good for Angelo, and I'm probably his biggest fan.

Geo
08-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Who knows, maybe re-signing Briggs changed things completely versus what the Bears were once thinking, when they had Okwo staring them in the face at the end of the third round in 2007.

Did Okwo look fully recovered from the shoulder injury that put him on IR last year?

BeerBaron
08-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Okwo is a tough move. I know the staff is real high on Jamar Williams but we need more than 1 halfway decent backup.....

And yeah, this is looking bad on JA. Sad too. He hasn't even been drafting defense all that well recently.....Dan Manning pretty much sucks. Bazuin and Okwo have been cut....

If he doesnt have that going for him he's really got nothing at all because that offense is still abysmal.

bearsfan_51
08-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Kevin Payne has apparently been named the starter at strong safety. This pleases me, since Brandon McGowan has a tendancy to be out of position. Hopefully Payne can proove his worth.

bearsfan_51
08-29-2008, 09:17 PM
For the record, I keep going back and forth between Anthony Oakley and Matt Toeaina for the last roster spot. They could cut Mark Bradley as well, since they've already shown they are more than willing to cut bait on failed draft picks.

Geo
08-29-2008, 09:24 PM
It sounds like Bradley is definitely on the bubble, and this is after the coaching staff didn't do anything with him last year. The Rideau fellow might beat him out for a spot.

regoob2
08-29-2008, 10:28 PM
This is ******* ********. Why are we drafting these guys in the first day just to release them. JA needs to look over his shoulder.

bearsfan_51
08-29-2008, 10:31 PM
It's hard to say to some degree. It's dissapointing that they would cut bait on wasted picks, but at the same time I do agree that we should keep the best 53, regardless of their position.

Ideally we would draft the best at the highest rounds, but the typical argument against Jerry is that he is too loyal to his draft picks (see Rex Grossman), so perhaps this is a semi-blessing in disguise.

Come to think of it, Marc Columbo and Chris Harris are the only players I can think of that left the Bears in the last 6-7 years and had any real success elsewhere, and I don't blame Jerry for cutting Columbo.

regoob2
08-29-2008, 10:35 PM
I just dont understand these picks. Why are we reaching for these guys when better players are available.

bearsfan_51
08-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Well...I mean that's kind of a self-fufilling prophecy. I'm sure they aren't thinking that the players they take are worse at the time, sometimes they are wrong.

A lot of people thought the Hester pick was a terrible reach too. I will agree that hindsight is 20/20, but I'm not sure what there is to not understand.

Geo
08-30-2008, 12:21 AM
If another wide receiver beats out Bradley for a spot on the receiving core, so be it. Bradley has had three-plus years with the coaching staff, they've seen him practice in all that time.

bearsfan_51
08-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Oakley and Rideau were both cut. That should pretty much set the roster with Toenaia and Bradley making the team.

bearsfan_51
08-30-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm a little suprised we're only going with 8 O-lineman considering Williams will be out until mid-season and Metcalf hasn't played all pre-season. Maybe they actually are signing Fred Miller, or hoping they can get someone else on waivers.

pellepelle_10
08-31-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm a little suprised we're only going with 8 O-lineman considering Williams will be out until mid-season and Metcalf hasn't played all pre-season. Maybe they actually are signing Fred Miller, or hoping they can get someone else on waivers.

Willie Anderson? I know this guy has had a bad wrap on injuries but he could be a good patch job in the meantime "if" he can stay healthy. Fred Miller for the vet min is another option.

Smokey Joe
09-21-2008, 10:53 AM
this needs an update.