PDA

View Full Version : Chances Redskins snatch up a Top 5 QB prospect?

shylo3716
11-12-2011, 03:50 PM
The Skins are currently sitting at 3-5 with a couple of winable games on their schedule, 3 to be exact is what may be possible, but I see 2 to keep them at 5-11 for the regular season (Miami, Seattle, Minnesota). Everyone clearly knows that Beck & Grossman are not QBs you build a team around.

With this being said, who do you see the Skins snatching up come draft day when they sit in the middle of the Top 10 Matt Barkley Landry Jones?

*Excluding RG3

I personally believe that if Matt Barkley is gone within the first 4-5 picks the pick will be Ryan Tannehill over Landry Jones.

Have a crack at it Skin fans!

jrdrylie
11-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Tannehill is not a top ten prospect. Washington picking him at around 7 would be a bigger reach than Ponder last year.

shylo3716
11-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Tannehill is not a top ten prospect. Washington picking him at around 7 would be a bigger reach than Ponder last year.

AGREED! I don't think Tannehill is a Top 10 prospect also, but I have the gut feeling come combine time he will soar. Gabbert came out of nowhere last year. Happens just about every other year or so that a guy climbs up the board.

Not farfetched at all on my behalf swaying to think Tannehill will be the pick. Just throwing it out there.

I also know I got off topic a little when I threw Tannehill in there, but you're saying that if Barkley is gone, Jones will be your guy?

SolidGold
11-12-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm a big Tannhill supporter, I thought his play this year would cement him as a first round pick. I did not ever think he was a top 10 guy but a QB worthy of the second half of the first round. However, I think his inconsistent play will drop him to the second round at this point. I want to see him finish the season out strong and than see how he performs at the Senior Bowl and Combine.

I do think he would fit the Redskins scheme well, he has the preferred skill set of the Shanahan QB. The Redskins are an inconsistent team, they could pick in the top 10 or could finish 8-8 and pick in the mid first round. But last draft really showed how starved teams are for QBs so nothing is impossible.

jrdrylie
11-12-2011, 04:39 PM
I like Jones. Barkley and Zluck have certainly pulled away from him but I still think he is QB 3 when all is said and done.

keylime_5
11-12-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't see why people keep assuming Barkley goes before Jones. That is still very much up in the air. I think Those are the 2nd and 3rd QBs taken. Griffin is a wildcard, teams might fall in love with his athleticism if he throws well during predraft workouts (assuming he declares). Tannehill could be a big riser b/c of his physical skills and upside - and WCO teams ran by guys like Holmgren or Shanahan will love him as a developmental project. Tannehill and Griffin have more upside than Jones and Barkley, though both are a lot more raw as passers.

SolidGold
11-12-2011, 04:55 PM
I like Jones as well. I think he has really good arm strength and good accuracy. He has all the tools that teams look for in franchise QBs at the next level.

Sloopy
11-12-2011, 05:06 PM
I know it says excluding RG3... but I can almost guarantee thats who they end up picking in the first.

Shanny loves him a mobile QB and I truly think they were ready to take Jake Locker last year at the 10 spot but when he was picked 2 picks ahead of them they traded down.

SickwithIt1010
11-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Luck
Barkley
Jones
RG3
Tannehill

Raiderz4Life
11-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't see why people keep assuming Barkley goes before Jones. That is still very much up in the air. I think Those are the 2nd and 3rd QBs taken. Griffin is a wildcard, teams might fall in love with his athleticism if he throws well during predraft workouts (assuming he declares). Tannehill could be a big riser b/c of his physical skills and upside - and WCO teams ran by guys like Holmgren or Shanahan will love him as a developmental project. Tannehill and Griffin have more upside than Jones and Barkley, though both are a lot more raw as passers.

Because Barkley is better than Jones. Jones is no slouch but Bark's been sensational this year.

RaiderNation
11-12-2011, 05:25 PM
It's hard to say since I think at least 1 of the 3 prospects behind Luck will stay. Barkley could stay for his Senior year and try and get USC a BCS bowl win. Jones could try and win a National Championship at Oklahoma and RG3 isn't a finished prospect who would benefit if he'd stay another year in school.

If I had to guess Luck and Jones both declare and Tannehill will be the 3rd QB taken in the mid1st.

keylime_5
11-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Because Barkley is better than Jones. Jones is no slouch but Bark's been sensational this year.

I still don't think Barkley has overcome all his shortcomings as a prospect. Jones has better upside and has produced in college, which might be enough to make him go higher than he should. Gabbert and Locker both went top 10 b/c of their upside, not their college production.

I never said Barkley won't go higher than Jones, I said people shouldn't assume he will, it's certainly still very much up in the air.

SolidGold
11-12-2011, 05:38 PM
I like Barkley and Jones. I would rank Barkley as second behind Luck. Jones is the prototype physically but Barkley is just playing at an elite level. There is a good chance both can stay, I think Barkley has more incentive to stay - the team is bowl eligible next year, have so many offensive weapons, will be legit NC contenders and Barkley will be the top QB in the PAC 12 if not the nation next season. Right now he is playing second fiddle to Luck and if he came out and would face constant inevitable comparisons.

I would argue that Luck, Barkley and Jones would all go top 5 if they declare this season.

Raiderz4Life
11-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Yea...Barkley should come back. Bowl, *possibly* NC, and even the possibility of going 1.

Bengalsrocket
11-13-2011, 02:46 AM
I definitely think Tannehill could be the pick. He'll get the biggest hype from the combine.

However, I think the smartest pick is Barkley since Luck will be gone by then.

Pat Sims 90
11-13-2011, 03:31 AM
Would not be surprised at all if Washington ends up with Luck. Dan Synder is a one of those owners that would give up the draft picks that it would take to get Luck.

SuperPacker
11-13-2011, 03:32 AM
RG3 is going second overall.

49erNation85
11-13-2011, 11:22 AM
What is gonna happen if Barkley stays for senior year?Also goes Luck but I doubt it. Y'all gonna be screwed for a QB.

Babylon
11-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Luck
Barkley
Jones
RG3
Tannehill

Like that list but i would have several spaces between the 2nd and 3rd QB taken. I dont see Landry Jones anywhere near Matt Barkely to be honest.

FUNBUNCHER
11-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Are Barkley and Kiffin really that tight?? I have a hard time imagining Barkley staying when he's all but guaranteed to go top 5.

I agree if RGIII leaves which he should,(he's not going to improve playing for Baylor) Griffin will be the pick IMO.

Foles/Tannehill, either one or both is going to benefit from the predraft hype machine and be drafted about 20-30 spots higher than they should be.

SickwithIt1010
11-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Like that list but i would have several spaces between the 2nd and 3rd QB taken. I dont see Landry Jones anywhere near Matt Barkely to be honest.

I really dont either, I just didnt really think about doing that. I think Jones is very overrated.

Are Barkley and Kiffin really that tight?? I have a hard time imagining Barkley staying when he's all but guaranteed to go top 5.

I agree if RGIII leaves which he should,(he's not going to improve playing for Baylor) Griffin will be the pick IMO.

Foles/Tannehill, either one or both is going to benefit from the predraft hype machine and be drafted about 20-30 spots higher than they should be.

Barkley and Kiffen are pretty tight. Barkley comes from a very educated family and they are big on education, hes very religious as well and there has been a lot of talk that he wants to stay and finish up his degree.

BaLLiN
11-13-2011, 03:53 PM
one thing is for sure, they improved their chances today

jrdrylie
11-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Yea...Barkley should come back. Bowl, *possibly* NC, and even the possibility of going 1.

Barkley should not come back. A possible National Championship is nice. But at worst, he will be the third pick. Too much risk going back to school.

nrk
11-13-2011, 10:13 PM
I probably like RBG more than most and I have him above Barkley and Jones. He definitely isn't the safer pick but I like his upside. I would like to see him go to Washington and work with Shanahan.

Just from what I heard about Jones around campus is that he isn't too bright. No real evidence to this though. Every week I expect at least 1 interception from him because he will make throws that just make you wonder wtf he was thinking.

I haven't seen a lot of Barkley but I question his arm strength somewhat from what I have seen.

jsagan77
11-15-2011, 07:40 AM
I think it's going to be Luck TBH. There isn't a draft pick that wouldn't be given up for him even though I think trading back is the right move considering how void of talent that team is. (If they can't get Luck) I would love to see them drop back and pick up Ashlon then take Foles in the 2nd. Foles is the most Underrated QB in the draft by a long shot and would have probably been top 10 last year had he declared.

JBCX
11-15-2011, 08:46 AM
RGIII would be perfect for Shanahan's system.

bucfan12
11-15-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm not sure all the love for Robert Griffin. I don't see a true NFL QB. I don't think he'll cut it as a passer in the NFL.

The Redskins might have to lose out to have a shot at a QB or look into trading into the top 3 to get Barkely because INDY isn't gonna give up the chance at Luck.

Plus, I don't see both Barkely and Jones declaring. I think one of them stays for there senior year. Barkely's stock has risen extremely high over the past few weeks to the point I htink he has to go and will be a top 5 pick.

jth1331
11-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Tannehil would be perfect for Shanny to be honest. Bootlegs out the wazoo to use his athletic ability.

bucfan12
11-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Tannehil would be perfect for Shanny to be honest. Bootlegs out the wazoo to use his athletic ability.

Agree. I like Tanehill, but I think he's a guy that definately needs a year, maybe 2 to sit and learn behind a vet. Thing is, is there going to be any stop gap veterans available next year for that to happen if that scenario plays out in Washington?

DiG
11-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Agree. I like Tanehill, but I think he's a guy that definately needs a year, maybe 2 to sit and learn behind a vet. Thing is, is there going to be any stop gap veterans available next year for that to happen if that scenario plays out in Washington?

i want matt flynn

jrdrylie
11-15-2011, 10:22 AM
i want matt flynn

I think Matt Flynn would be a much better option for the Redskins. With a 6-10 season followed by another 6-10 season (at best), Mike Shanahan doesn't have time to groom a rookie quarterback. I think signing Flynn and then using their first pick on a guy like Richardson or Blackmon, would be a much better idea.

jth1331
11-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Kyle Orton will be available!