PDA

View Full Version : Who Are Some Potential 1st Round Sleepers?

MI_Buckeye
11-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Every year there are a few prospects that receive very little pub from the draft community during the season but shoot up once the evaluation season kicks into full gear. The reasons are various, but what I want to find out is; who is this year's Corey Liuget/Phil Taylor/James Carpenter/Danny Watkins/Muhammad Wilkerson type prospect who you think will shoot up draft boards once the season begins.

Personally, I have a few prospects in mind myself. I think both the third-year sophomore defensive ends from LSU, Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo look like first round talents and could come out early to exploit the mediocre pass rush market in this draft. I also really like Josh Boyce, the receiver out of TCU. He reminds me a lot of Hakeem Nicks, and I think he profiles as a legit No. 1 or 2 WR in the NFL.

thegreatone
11-12-2011, 06:32 PM
- Dwight Joness WR North Carolina
- Vinny Curry OLB/DE Marshall
- Ronnell Lewis LB Oklahoma

Matthew Jones
11-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Some guys that come to mind as often-overlooked in mock drafts:

QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M

RB David Wilson, Virginia Tech*

WR Nick Toon, Wisconsin

TE Dwayne Allen, Clemson*

OL Andrew Datko, Florida St.

DT Devon Still, Penn St.

DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois*

LB Chase Thomas, Stanford*

RaiderNation
11-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Alameda Ta'amu NT Washington
Dwayne Allen TE Clemson*
Vinny Curry DE/OLB Marshall
Lamar Miller RB Miami**
TJ McDonald DB USC*

ChiFan24
11-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Not necessarily a first rounder, but I honestly don't understand why B.J. Cunningham isn't considered a top WR. What am I missing?

CB Johnthan Banks and DT Fletcher Cox from Mississippi State are a couple of juniors that could declare and be in the first round conversation. D.J. Fluker is a RS sophomore that no one thinks will declare but would probably be a first roudner. DT Kawann Short from Purdue is another good one.

keylime_5
11-12-2011, 10:24 PM
How about some top 15 pick sleepers? Devon Still goes top 15 - my way too early out on a limb prediction.

MI_Buckeye
11-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Not necessarily a first rounder, but I honestly don't understand why B.J. Cunningham isn't considered a top WR. What am I missing?

CB Johnthan Banks and DT Fletcher Cox from Mississippi State are a couple of juniors that could declare and be in the first round conversation. D.J. Fluker is a RS sophomore that no one thinks will declare but would probably be a first roudner. DT Kawann Short from Purdue is another good one.

Great post! True sleepers here; some of the other guys mentioned in this post are already fringe first rounders.

I am a big fan of Cunningham, and he should end up going on the second day. Watched alot of the Bama/Miss St. game tonight, and Cox's name came up quite a bit. I have been a big fan of Banks since he exposed Tebow as a true frosh a couple years ago.

bruschis4all
11-13-2011, 10:55 AM
How about some top 15 pick sleepers? Devon Still goes top 15 - my way too early out on a limb prediction.

After a disgraceful week about my alma mater. I was proud of the way the players represented themselves yesterday. And, a huge tip of the hat to Nebraska and asst. coach Ron Brown. Prayer by both teams prior to the game was very moving. Devon Still has played well all year. Just keeps continuing that level of outstanding performance. He reminds me of Ty Warren who went 13th back in 03 and Belichick traded up for. Hmmmm..

Seems like a lot of defensive linemen come on strong after Senior Bowl and Combine and workouts. Dontari Poe from Memphis and Vinny Curry from Marshall seem like two of those candidates to me. I'm curious to see some film on Poe. Curry has a great motor and have seen him a couple of times.

D-Unit
11-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Whitney Mercilus, Illinois

That's my prediction.

TACKLE
11-14-2011, 06:49 AM
1st Round Sleepers

Shea McClellin, DE/OLB, Boise State

This is a guy who absolutely needs more love. His stats aren't gaudy and his measurables aren't great at first glance but he is just a great all around football player. On film, this guy is a first round pick. He's an explosive, violent athlete, with great instincts and a knack for making plays in the backfield. Boise's used him just about everywhere in their defense so offers great versatility as an DE/OLB in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. Maybe he stays is relative obscurity but as people get to see more and more of him, I could for see a CM3 type rise.

Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa

A lot of things will have to fall into place but I can see McNutt competing with a guy like Sanu (maybe even Jeffery) to be the 4th WR taken and possibly sneak into the late 1st. I hate to put too much emphasis on the combine but big, slow WR's don't go early so I think he needs to run 4.55 or under to get 1st round consideration. But all McNutt does is produce. This year he's had 7 100 yard games and 10 TD's. He's a physically superior player who also has what I feel pretty comfortable calling The Best Hands in this draft. I think there's a wide range of where he could go with the top end being in the late 1st.

Top 15 Sleepers

Billy Winn, DE/DT, Boise State

And another Boise guy here. Winn is offers great versatility but he is very much a prototypical 5-tech. I think he has a very similar skill set to a guy like Ty Warren. There's always a strong market for guys with his build, his style of play and his versatility. With more and more 3-4 teams, he's going to be a guy who teams will be very comfortable projecting his game and how he'll fit in their defense. We've seen guys just like him before steadily rise and I see his stock ascending throughout the draft process.

TJ McDonald, S, USC

People know his name and he is some getting first round buzz. But he's viewed more as a late 1-early 2 and not so much as a big time safety worth a top 15 pick. There are talks out of SoCal that McDonald is the best DB prospect to come out of the school since Polamalu. TJ is really the total package and has the natural physical ability and talent to warrant such a high selection. He can do it all: Be a big physical box SS, a rangy deep FS, he can lock down TE's in coverage and can more than hold his own in space in the slot. Not sure about what kind of demand for a safety there will be early but I see McDonald's stock steadily rising throughout the pre-draft process.

Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall

Another known name but still a guy who's not given nearly enough respect. Curry has been one of the most dominant defensive forces in CFB over the past two seasons yet most are projecting him as a mid-2/fringe 1st pick. All I gotta say is I'm really looking forward to watching him at Senior Bowl. I think he'll be 'that guy' this year who is unblockable in 1-on-1's. He's not lacking at all in the size or athleticism department and consistently displays explosiveness, power and flexibility on the field. The film doesn't lie - Curry is the best pass rusher in this draft and could/should be the first DE off the board as either a 43 DE or a 34 OLB.

Grizzlegom
11-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Vinny Curry has been the best draft-eligible pass rusher in college this year. In a weak pass rushing class, teams might overlook his size limitations and grab him earlier than the late first/early second most are currently projecting.

Devon Still is already a top 15 prospect and the top DT in a lot of places, other places seem to be lagging behind. I'm right there with some others above on guys like Whitney Mercilus and TJ McDonald. I think Nick Toon is a first-round caliber WR as he's been a completely different player this year than in the past and I think many are underselling him. Some are already projecting Mike Adams as that other OT that slips into the first round aside from the three JRs but it also wouldn't shock me to see someone like Levy Adcock or Zebrie Sanders get in either.

My real sleeper pick for the first round is Brandon Weeden. Obviously Luck is the a cut above everyone and I think most in the draft community are realizing that Barkley is the clear-cut number two that would probably be in the first overall discussion in any other year. But after those two, there are questions about every other QB. Brandon Weeden probably has the best arm talent in the draft and if it weren't for his age, it would be hard to argue against him as a first round pick. At the end of the day, I wouldn't be shocked if a team decided to go with him over someone like Tannehill or RGIII.

bruschis4all
11-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Vinny Curry has been the best draft-eligible pass rusher in college this year. In a weak pass rushing class, teams might overlook his size limitations and grab him earlier than the late first/early second most are currently projecting.

Devon Still is already a top 15 prospect and the top DT in a lot of places, other places seem to be lagging behind. I'm right there with some others above on guys like Whitney Mercilus and TJ McDonald. I think Nick Toon is a first-round caliber WR as he's been a completely different player this year than in the past and I think many are underselling him. Some are already projecting Mike Adams as that other OT that slips into the first round aside from the three JRs but it also wouldn't shock me to see someone like Levy Adcock or Zebrie Sanders get in either.

My real sleeper pick for the first round is Brandon Weeden. Obviously Luck is the a cut above everyone and I think most in the draft community are realizing that Barkley is the clear-cut number two that would probably be in the first overall discussion in any other year. But after those two, there are questions about every other QB. Brandon Weeden probably has the best arm talent in the draft and if it weren't for his age, it would be hard to argue against him as a first round pick. At the end of the day, I wouldn't be shocked if a team decided to go with him over someone like Tannehill or RGIII.

Chris Wienke ruined any chance of Weeden being drafted early. I don't see any way he picked in the first 3 rounds. Gonna be a 29 year old rookie.

keylime_5
11-14-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm not completely sold on Mercilus yet, he got all his production early in the year against weak competition and it seems that in Illinois' scheme the DEs sell out to go upfield on every play. I don't mean to take away from his incredible year he's having, but when it comes to putting pass rushers in the top 15 of the draft nitpicking happens. I could see him skyrocketing with a great combine.

I love the potential defensive line class we have. Most of them are DTs, but still it's a good year for DL in the 10-30 range. Dontari Poe, Devon Still, Quinton Coples, Brandon Thompson, Jerel Worthy, Melvin Ingram, Vinny Curry, Billy Winn, Brandon Jenkins, Whitney Mercilus, Alameda Ta'amu, Josh Chapman - there's a little bit of everything in there. Devon Still is by far my favorite though. I think he and Vinny Curry are getting the least love universally in mock drafts and will both shoot way up as we get closer to April.

jsa230
11-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Jonathon Massaquoi could sneak in to the late first.

regoob2
11-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Zebrie Sanders. Very good all around game.

DraftSavant
11-14-2011, 01:54 PM
1st Round Sleepers

Shea McClellin, DE/OLB, Boise State

This is a guy who absolutely needs more love. His stats aren't gaudy and his measurables aren't great at first glance but he is just a great all around football player. On film, this guy is a first round pick. He's an explosive, violent athlete, with great instincts and a knack for making plays in the backfield. Boise's used him just about everywhere in their defense so offers great versatility as an DE/OLB in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. Maybe he stays is relative obscurity but as people get to see more and more of him, I could for see a CM3 type rise.

SHEAAAAAAAAA

MassNole
11-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Some guys that come to mind as often-overlooked in mock drafts:

QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M

RB David Wilson, Virginia Tech*

WR Nick Toon, Wisconsin

TE Dwayne Allen, Clemson*

OL Andrew Datko, Florida St.

DT Devon Still, Penn St.

DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois*

LB Chase Thomas, Stanford*

No one who is remotely familiar with Datko's injury history will grade him above Round 4. He may come back next year if he gets a medical RS.

iowatreat54
11-14-2011, 02:23 PM
1st Round Sleepers

Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa

A lot of things will have to fall into place but I can see McNutt competing with a guy like Sanu (maybe even Jeffery) to be the 4th WR taken and possibly sneak into the late 1st. I hate to put too much emphasis on the combine but big, slow WR's don't go early so I think he needs to run 4.55 or under to get 1st round consideration. But all McNutt does is produce. This year he's had 7 100 yard games and 10 TD's. He's a physically superior player who also has what I feel pretty comfortable calling The Best Hands in this draft. I think there's a wide range of where he could go with the top end being in the late 1st.

I love you for this, but as you said, A LOT would have to happen for this to come true. And even then, I don't think it will happen.

McNutt is not going to wow anyone in workouts, so he likely will not have a lot of hype. His last listed time for the 40 was 4.55 I believe, which means he will probably run closer to a 4.6, which will probably turn some people off. He doesn't play like an athletic freak either, like Floyd, Jeffery, and those guys, despite having very good athleticism.

He really relies on his superior size and hands to make catches, which isn't a bad thing, but he doesn't really do anything to try and create any separation from defenders.

I think he is going to be a very reliable possession WR in the NFL. He has fantastic hands, is a smart route runner/understands the game very well, and has great size. He's only played WR for 3 years, so maybe he's still learning, but I'm hoping he stays a mid-round prospect for the Bears to pick up. :)

Also just to add, he is already our all time leader in yards and TDs, and also already has the single season record for yards. If he can get 21 receptions over the next 3 games, he will also leave Iowa as the all time leader in receptions, and have the single season record for receptions. With 2 more touchdowns, he will have the single season record for TDs. Granted, Iowa has never been known for their WRs, but all the kid does is produce.

princefielder28
11-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Casey Hayward is a guy I feel should go in the first round but I doubt anyone falls in love with him enough to take him that high. He's an experienced corner who plays with physicality and has a knack for finding the football. I don't care that the kid isn't necessarily the biggest (5'11'' which isn't bad for a corner) and runs in the 4.5 range (not all world speed) buut he might play with some of the best technique out of any corner in this draft and has tremendous break on the football when it's in the air.

mriforgot
11-14-2011, 03:46 PM

After watching Cunningham play for the last four years, I think the fact is, he's just not special enough at anything to consider him a top WR. He's got good hands, good speed, and good size, but nothing overwhelming in any of those three. He'll probably be a 3-4 round pick, and I don't see him fitting in as a #1-2 type receiver at the NFL level.

keylime_5
11-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I forgot to mention Andre Branch as well. Guy is having a great season this year and was talked about as a guy whose ability didn't match up with his production, and now that he's producing he could shoot up the board.

TACKLE
11-15-2011, 01:56 AM
CB Johnthan Banks and DT Fletcher Cox from Mississippi State are a couple of juniors that could declare and be in the first round conversation.

Both good choices, especially Banks.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 08:25 AM
TJ McDonald, S, USC

People know his name and he is some getting first round buzz. But he's viewed more as a late 1-early 2 and not so much as a big time safety worth a top 15 pick. There are talks out of SoCal that McDonald is the best DB prospect to come out of the school since Polamalu. TJ is really the total package and has the natural physical ability and talent to warrant such a high selection. He can do it all: Be a big physical box SS, a rangy deep FS, he can lock down TE's in coverage and can more than hold his own in space in the slot. Not sure about what kind of demand for a safety there will be early but I see McDonald's stock steadily rising throughout the pre-draft process.

TACKLE recently has me falling in love with this guy, definitly could put up some serious #'s at the combine and shoot up draft boards, maybe even end up being the first safety taken

Grizzlegom
11-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Chris Wienke ruined any chance of Weeden being drafted early. I don't see any way he picked in the first 3 rounds. Gonna be a 29 year old rookie.

Weeden looks like a better prospect than Weinke in my opinion. Better arm, accuracy, mechanics, even better stats...I understand teams may be scared off by his age but I think Weeden is a much better overall prospect than Weinke ever was and has a better NFL skillset.

bucfan12
11-15-2011, 09:35 AM
- Devon Still DT Penn State could sneak into the late first round.
- Keep an eye out for Ryan Tanehill as well. Some team that needs a QB and misses out on Luck/Jones/Barkely will look to trade down, possibly the Redskins or Seahawks.

- Lamar Miller could rise into the top 20. I've been seeing comparisons to Ladanian Tomlinson. If a team needs a back, like Cleveland or Cincinatti, who both have 2 1st rounders, could take a flyer on a RB early if both miss out on Trent Richardson.

ChiFan24
11-16-2011, 01:29 AM
After watching Cunningham play for the last four years, I think the fact is, he's just not special enough at anything to consider him a top WR. He's got good hands, good speed, and good size, but nothing overwhelming in any of those three. He'll probably be a 3-4 round pick, and I don't see him fitting in as a #1-2 type receiver at the NFL level.

I'll be all over the B.J. bandwagon until draft time. His absolute floor, IMO, is Josh Morgan. And I think he's better than that.

marshallb
11-16-2011, 01:50 AM
Casey Hayward is a guy I feel should go in the first round but I doubt anyone falls in love with him enough to take him that high. He's an experienced corner who plays with physicality and has a knack for finding the football. I don't care that the kid isn't necessarily the biggest (5'11'' which isn't bad for a corner) and runs in the 4.5 range (not all world speed) buut he might play with some of the best technique out of any corner in this draft and has tremendous break on the football when it's in the air.

I'm 100% with you on Hayward. I absolutely love the guy, and think he'll outplay almost all of the corners drafted ahead of him if he gets into the right system. He's not a fit in the Raiders/Jets type of press man system that Nnamdi/Revis ran/run so well, but if you let him play in the Eagles type of off coverage, the guy will be damn good at it. Speaking of Eagles corners, Hayward reminds me of Asante Samuel quite a bit, very similar size(5-11 188 for Hayward, 5-10 185 for Samuel), speed(4.50 estimated for Hayward, Samuel ran 4.49 at the combine when he came out), and ball skills(Hayward had 6 picks last year to go along with 11 pass breakups and has 5 picks already this year, and we all know Samuel's ball skills - 44 career picks in 8.5 seasons).

I would love to see the Vikings get Hayward in the second round come draft day.

ellsy82
11-16-2011, 03:02 AM
I love you for this, but as you said, A LOT would have to happen for this to come true. And even then, I don't think it will happen.

McNutt is not going to wow anyone in workouts, so he likely will not have a lot of hype. His last listed time for the 40 was 4.55 I believe, which means he will probably run closer to a 4.6, which will probably turn some people off. He doesn't play like an athletic freak either, like Floyd, Jeffery, and those guys, despite having very good athleticism.

He really relies on his superior size and hands to make catches, which isn't a bad thing, but he doesn't really do anything to try and create any separation from defenders.

I think he is going to be a very reliable possession WR in the NFL. He has fantastic hands, is a smart route runner/understands the game very well, and has great size. He's only played WR for 3 years, so maybe he's still learning, but I'm hoping he stays a mid-round prospect for the Bears to pick up. :)

Also just to add, he is already our all time leader in yards and TDs, and also already has the single season record for yards. If he can get 21 receptions over the next 3 games, he will also leave Iowa as the all time leader in receptions, and have the single season record for receptions. With 2 more touchdowns, he will have the single season record for TDs. Granted, Iowa has never been known for their WRs, but all the kid does is produce.

Sorry fellow hawk...He's not worth a first rounder...3rd tops. He just doesn't have the athleticism. He's fearless over the middle, so he's worthy of a mid round pick...but that's about it.

iowatreat54
11-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Sorry fellow hawk...He's not worth a first rounder...3rd tops. He just doesn't have the athleticism. He's fearless over the middle, so he's worthy of a mid round pick...but that's about it.

Exactly, which is why I said A LOT would have to happen and even then he probably wouldn't slip in to the end of the first.

I think his absolute highest would be end of the 2nd if everything goes perfectly for him. He just doesn't have the wow factor and won't put up ridiculous combine numbers. I think he will go somewhere late 3rd/early 4th.

Plus, he doesn't really figure to be a #1 guy in the league. He will be more of a possession type WR with the added bonus of being a great red zone target.

TACKLE
11-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Exactly, which is why I said A LOT would have to happen and even then he probably wouldn't slip in to the end of the first.

I think his absolute highest would be end of the 2nd if everything goes perfectly for him. He just doesn't have the wow factor and won't put up ridiculous combine numbers. I think he will go somewhere late 3rd/early 4th.

Plus, he doesn't really figure to be a #1 guy in the league. He will be more of a possession type WR with the added bonus of being a great red zone target.

The more I think about it, the more I think McNutt was a reach as a first rounder. I was really intrigued by him and still am but I think I overestimated his athleticism a bit. I know it's retracting on something I just recently said but McNutt in the first is too much of a reach. Still, I think he's sneaky athletic and I love his hands. Probably some of the strongest sets of hands I can remember seeing in a WR prospect. I think there's definitely a place for this guy in the league and he can be a solid starter for a while in the league.

iowatreat54
11-16-2011, 01:56 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think McNutt was a reach as a first rounder. I was really intrigued by him and still am but I think I overestimated his athleticism a bit. I know it's retracting on something I just recently said but McNutt in the first is too much of a reach. Still, I think he's sneaky athletic and I love his hands. Probably some of the strongest sets of hands I can remember seeing in a WR prospect. I think there's definitely a place for this guy in the league and he can be a solid starter for a while in the league.

Yea, that's the problem. On paper, he appears to be most of what you ask for in a WR. He's reliable and has never really disappointed. The only time he really drops passes is when he tried to turn and run before catching.

On the flip side, he doesn't do anything above and beyond. He isn't a ridiculous athlete or turn out highlight reel catches.

There's no reason he shouldn't have a decently long career with average to slightly above average production. I don't think you spend a first or early pick on that type of guy.

TheFinisher
11-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Names that haven't been mentioned:

Kevin Zeitler
Coryell Judie
Nick Toon

Jack203
11-17-2011, 08:01 AM
I'll be all over the B.J. bandwagon until draft time. His absolute floor, IMO, is Josh Morgan. And I think he's better than that.

Below average speed for a WR. I like his upper body strength though. He'll need that if he makes it in the NFL.

Sloopy
11-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Nick Toon

Love this guy, quietly one of the best go-to receivers in college football

holt_bruce81
11-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Im a big fan of Billy Winn DT.

TACKLE
11-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Even though he was once considered a sure-fire 1st rounder, his stock has dipped and you don't really see him in the first round discussion anymore. However, I think there's a very good chance that Bruce Irvin doesn't get out of the first round. His ridiculous explosiveness, athleticism and natural edge rush ability are going to be hard for teams to pass up on.

TACKLE
12-05-2011, 03:23 PM

Totally agree. BJ is incredibly underrated right now and like you, I'm not sure why. He reminds me so much of Victor Cruz.

shylo3716
12-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Kendall Wright

Complex
12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
T.Y. Hilton

DraftSavant
12-06-2011, 01:31 PM

I've started watching tape on Cunningham, and I'm with you. Dude is a ******* beast, and I really like how his game translates to the NFL.

rawdawg
12-06-2011, 03:57 PM
I've started watching tape on Cunningham, and I'm with you. Dude is a ******* beast, and I really like how his game translates to the NFL.

He kinda reminds me of a smaller Brandon Marshall. Like Marshall, Cunningham isn't a burner by any means. Maybe a little slow off the line and takes a second to build up some speed, but he's a guy that's going to make catches simply based on his physicality. Not as tall as Marshall, but he's going to be able to box out defenders on slant routes and on the sideline outs. Despite not being fast, he's also going to make plays down the field because he will outmuscle any CB in the league and high point the catch.

He'll be a tough matchup for CBs. He may get a huge advantage if you try to press him. He can box out a defender if he plays off man and tries to jump the route. And if you zone him he'll turn and be hard to tackle in the open field.

DraftSavant
12-06-2011, 03:59 PM
He kinda reminds me of a smaller Brandon Marshall. Like Marshall, Cunningham isn't a burner by any means. Maybe a little slow off the line and takes a second to build up some speed, but he's a guy that's going to make catches simply based on his physicality. Not as tall as Marshall, but he's going to be able to box out defenders on slant routes and on the sideline outs. Despite not being fast, he's also going to make plays down the field because he will outmuscle any CB in the league and high point the catch.

He'll be a tough matchup for CBs. He may get a huge advantage if you try to press him. He can box out a defender if he plays off man and tries to jump the route. And if you zone him he'll turn and be hard to tackle in the open field.

He looks faster on tape than what most are projecting him to run. I see an extra gear when he gets the ball in his hands and some room to buildup. Really like this kid, he's an ox.

ChiFan24
12-06-2011, 04:58 PM
It's about time I got some company on the Cunningham bandwagon. I think Michael Crabtree is a pretty good comparison.